Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897857 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3200 on: December 31, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Tomereader, thanks for that list.  They sound like my type of mysteries.  I just finished Margaret Maron's latest Deborah Knott series Three-Day Town.  I really enjoyed it.  Maron's story endings are always satisfying to me.  Hate books that leave you puzzled or wondering what happened.  Next on my list is Laura Child's latest tea shop mystery.

Steph

« Reply #3201 on: January 01, 2012, 06:05:44 AM »
She is a minister( late in life) and a retired chopper pilot from the service and altogether a fascinating complicated human.They are mysteries, yes and also life lessons..A very good writer.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #3202 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:11 AM »
 Better and better, STEPH.  I'll definitely want to hunt out some of her books.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ursamajor

« Reply #3203 on: January 01, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
The Spencer-Fleming books also contain a bang-up love story, enhanced by the fact that the characters don't jump directly into bed in the second chapter.  I think it is probably the best mystery series I know, although I truly admire the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow .  No hesitation about jumping in bed in those.

Spencer Fleming emailed me in 2010 that she was working on an 8th Ferguson mystery.  It should be very different from the others judging by the events in One was a soldier.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3204 on: January 01, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »
I didn't know all that about Spencer-Fleming. Interesting. I'll start :Fountains" when I've worked through my library books.

If you like Stabenow's books about Alaska, I just read one of another Alaska series by Stan Jones. He is Alaska-born, by his picture doesn't look native, although his detective is. The one i read is "Village of the Ghost bears", but that's late in the series.

Nathan Active Mysteries by Stan Jones
1. White Sky, Black Ice (1999)
2. Shaman Pass (2003)
3. Frozen Sun (2008)
4. Village of the Ghost Bears (2009)

If any of you watch the reality show "Flying Wild Alaska" on the Discovery Channel, you are watching the real life model (Jim Tweeto) for the bush pilot in the Stabenow books (she calls him "George" if I remember right). The same character shows up in the stan Jones series, named "cowboy" this time, and another character that I think must be based on Tweeto's real-life wife, Ferno, although she's not his wife in the book. They aren't treated as sympathetically by Jones as they are by Stabenow: I wonder if Jones has trouble getting plane leases.

serenesheila

« Reply #3205 on: January 02, 2012, 12:57:08 AM »
TOMEREADER, thank you for the list of books, by Spenser-Fleming.  I am delighted to know that I am reading her first book in this series.

BABI, there are some refrences to religion/spirituality, so far.  The woman, Episcable Priest, Clare, teams up with the local sheriff, who does not believe in God.  If you will give me your address, I will send you this first book, as soon as I finish it.

I began reading, "Ship of Fools", today.  I hope that it is not as pessimistic as the movie was, for me.  The author is not a simplistic writer.  She is very into detail, so it may be slow going.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #3206 on: January 02, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
I am reading the Louise Penney.. Bury your dead?? The first one of is that is slow slow going.. I guess I dont really understand Quebec and the french english hatred.. Seems to be part of the point of this book however, so I am struggling through. For some reason she has rethought her previous book and I gather is about to prove that the murderer in the last book wasnt.. Not sure I like this one a whole lot.
Spencer Fleming.. This is a woman who thinks out her characters. Her priest has reservations about various things. Her sheriff has self doubts. I do like her.

Babi

« Reply #3207 on: January 02, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »
I wonder if Jones has trouble getting plane leases. (JoanK) ;D

That's very sweet of you, SHEILA. Fortunately, my library does have that
book and it's on my list of books to pick up next time I'm there. I greatly
appreciate the offer, tho'.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3208 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
Steph - I have read Bury Your Dead and I enjoyed it - I didn't know anything about the French/English thing in Quebec, but I found that interesting.  However, I'm with you about changing the outcome of the last book - I think it's meant to read as though that was what she always intended to happen, but the impression one gets is that she did indeed change her mind.  Not altogether satisfactory.

On her website, Penny says that she now knows what is going to happen two books ahead of what she is writing.  She wants to cover all sorts of themes - art, music, loyalty, etc - within the mystery genre.  I don't know how she keeps it all in her head.

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3209 on: January 02, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Thanks to whoever listed the Spencer-Fleming books.  I had not heard of or read any of her books, but the Kindle price for the first one was quite reasonable, so I downloaded it.  Another church woman, whose writing isn't churchy at all, is Patricia Sprinkle -- from Georgia?  Alabama? I really enjoyed her When Did We Lose Harriet.  Her protagonist is a woman of several years, which seems fitting, as Sprinkle wrote in Pres. Today several years ago, an article entitled "You're never too old to learn something new." I take my saved copy and read it every now and then.

So glad to hear there is another Margaret Maron out.  She is definitely my favorite in this genre. Now to see if the library has it.

Steph

« Reply #3210 on: January 03, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
I finished Bury Your Dead and am sort of half like and half not about it. It is definitely my least favorite book of hers. The telegraphing of the young policeman was a hard hard thing.. You knew he was dead,,,Quebec.. I have been to the city several times, stayed in the Chateau, went up and down on the elevator to the lower area. It is truly beautiful,, very french in many many ways. I remember the 60's and the horrors that went on.. Separatist defeat me.. I know in Sco0tland, our guide and our bus driver seem to regard it as face that they should be a separate country. That amazed me.. I simply dont see much difference ther and Ireland.. whew..
I know from American History that the french in Canada used the Indians to make guerilla war on the the Americans.. How is that different from what they accuse the Brits of doing.. All in all, not my favorite book..

marjifay

« Reply #3211 on: January 03, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
I read Spencer-Fleming's In the Bleak Midwinter a couple of years ago.  Did not enjoy it enough to read any more.  My notes say, " Too much religion for my taste and wasn't interested in the potential romance between the priest and the chief of police, a married man."

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

jeriron

« Reply #3212 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
I was thinking of getting that one for my Kindle because it was cheap but now I'm glad I read your post and I won't bother.

nlhome

« Reply #3213 on: January 03, 2012, 07:27:41 PM »
I read In the Bleak Midwinter also a couple of years ago, and then One was a Soldier. I did like both, but they are not cheerful books.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3214 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
I understand that "One Was a Soldier" was not in the Clare Fergusson series. It was a "stand alone".
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3215 on: January 04, 2012, 06:27:42 AM »
Thats funny. I read Midwinter and fell in love with the author. I liked the idea of the woman Priest  who questioned her faith.. It is also important that I add, that although they were attracted. As long as he is married ,, they do nothing..

ursamajor

« Reply #3216 on: January 04, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
One was a Soldier is most assuredly part of the Clare Ferguson series.  There is a real surprise at the end in regard to the relationship between Clare and Russ.  The book's main theme is the problems of service people who return from war and must readjust to society.  It is indeed not a cheerful book but I think addresses a very real problem that our society needs to acknowledge.

An Episcopalian will notice that the title comes from a hymn sung for All Saint's Day about the saints of God.... "One was a soldier/ and one was a priest/ and one was slain/ by a fierce wild beast..."

Tomereader1

« Reply #3217 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
Well, Ursa, my bad.  I was led to believe that One Was A Solder did not form a part of the Clare/Russ series.  I think I read that in some book review or blog (back when the book first came out). But anyway...I am glad to know it is a part of the series.

As soon as I can get my TBR stack down a foot or so (LOL) I will certainly check this one out.  I have so much stuff on my Kindle that I'm having to read about 3 books at a time, doing one or two chapters from each, just to make some headway.  BTW, most on Kindle are all mysteries!   
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #3218 on: January 04, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
While looking for Spencer-Fleming books at the library i saw mysteries written by "Sally Spencer", aka Jim Rustage, who has written a couple series of books. I got started on it last night and it has,what appears to be, a very good mystery. It's set in NYC in the early 20th century. A well- known rich man who has not been seen for 7 yrs is kidnapped from a one-way-in "study" from which he has never exited in 7 yrs. His 2 Pinkerton bodyguards had their throats cut inside the "study" altho his guards typucally did not enter the study. It is a Blackstone mystery - B is a Scotland Yard detective, in th U.S. to assist in a previous story. 

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/alan-rustage/

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/sally-spencer/

Notice in the Sally Spencer site they go w/ "her" as the pronoun about the writer  ::)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3219 on: January 04, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »
Sound interesting.

Steph

« Reply #3220 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »
The current Kate Shugak has lots of Alaskan history in it and I am enjoying it quite a lot.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3221 on: January 09, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »
We've been awfully quiet lately! PatH just told me that there is a Stephanie Barron Jane Austen mystery out that I haven't read yet: "Jane and the Canterbury Tale". Has anyone read it?

nlhome

« Reply #3222 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:19 PM »
I've been trying to keep up with the Ship of Fools discussion, but today I had some time to relax and enjoy a beautiful day. We live in a small town with a friendly coffee shop, and I walked to the library to find a book, but nothing appealed. So, I picked up The Hireling's Tale by Jo Bannister for a quarter at the Friends' table, then joined my husband at the coffee shop. What a relief to read a (relatively) fast-moving mystery for a change. We sat in the sun and read while we enjoyed a couple of cups of coffee. I am thinking I have not read any of Jo Bannister's books before, but I see she wrote several.

I'll go back to the ship tomorrow.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3223 on: January 10, 2012, 04:55:08 AM »
What a perfect day nlhome.  Sometimes you really do have to seize the moment.

We had wonderful weather here yesterday; I walked for the first time to the top of the ridge between here and Athelstaneford - wonderful views, and not a soul in site.  Should have been doing laundry.  Oh well!

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3224 on: January 10, 2012, 04:59:02 AM »
And I've just looked up Jo Bannister on our library catalogue - we seem to have lots of her books for once!   At least half of them are large print editions, which to me indicates (even though I don't actually need it yet) that they're likely to be my kind of book  :)

R

Steph

« Reply #3225 on: January 10, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »
Jo Bannister.. hmm, will write that one down to check.
Today is body Flow exercise class. I find that in just 5 weeks, I can at least stand very still on one leg, now to get to the point, where I can swing the leg out.. Hmm..

Babi

« Reply #3226 on: January 10, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
 Good for you, STEPH!  Sounds like you're doing great.  I'm doing well to
stand very still on two feet!  :D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3227 on: January 10, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
"wonderful views, and not a soul in site.  Should have been doing laundry." No you shouldn't! you were doing exactly right.

Today my chairyoga class is resuming after semester break. I've really missed it. The best part is that my son picks me up afterward, and we go, sit quietly, and look at the ocean. I don't think i'll ever get over the thrill of living near the ocean for the first time in my life.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3228 on: January 10, 2012, 03:34:35 PM »
It seems that Jo Bannister has written 34 books: in many series: which series are you reading?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/jo-bannister/

mabel1015j

« Reply #3229 on: January 10, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »
I started reading Evanovich's Explosive Eighteen and have been laughing outloud everytime i pick it up. Evanovich seems to be coming to the point of resolving the Morelli/Ranger dilemma. Maybe there are only going to be 20 books. I see she's got another non- Stephanie book out. There's a lot of slapstick comedy in this one. You just have to suspend reality, and that's fine w/ me. I need some reality-suspension right now. I'm thoroughly enjoying it in the way i enjoyed the first one.

With the movie One for the Money coming out - it's about 6 months late, or more, that worries  me - i've been thinking about the actors playing the parts. I realized that Flip Wilson's "Gearldine" has been the character i've had in mind when hearing and seeing Lulu. LOL Yes, a truly fictional, reality suspended character. I'm curious to see Heigl as Stephanie, i can't put her in the role in my mind.

Have any of you seen it?

Jean

nlhome

« Reply #3230 on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
I'm reading the Castlemere series, and towards the end as well, by Jo Bannister. However, I believe I've read one of the earlier books, just not sure which one.

I'm definitely getting my 25 cents worth.

But I'll need to get back to Ship of Fools. I've renewed it twice - I only have two more weeks to finish it.

Steph

« Reply #3231 on: January 11, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »
I looked up Jo Bannister in my bookswap club.. Ordered the first one in one of her series. I think she has several. I am working on Lit by Mary Karr(?). Excellent. I had read her first two and never gotten around to the third in her memoirs.. She is an interesting writer, although I cannot share her obsession with poetry..But then she is a poet..She is also over the top occasioinally. Just finished reading about the birth of her son and it does seem overwritten.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3232 on: January 11, 2012, 07:01:32 AM »
Has anyone read any mysteries by GM Malliet?  I've just seen them recommended on another site, and they look like my kind of thing (ie "cosies").  Our library service has a couple, though not in my branches, so would have to go further or request them.  I think the first series was called 'St Just' and she has just written the first in a different series, 'Wicked Autumn'.

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #3233 on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
Such a prolific writer, yet I don't believe I've read any of Bannister's
books. Anyone care to critique her for me?  I note several of you have read
some of her work.
  G. M. Malliet is a new name to me, too.  I'll check and see if my library has
any of those books.  I like a good cozy, too.

nlhome

« Reply #3234 on: January 11, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »
I tried reading one of Malliet's books, and wasn't able to do so. Death and the Lit Chick. Not my cup of tea. It's the only one our library had, and may not be representative.

I'm still working on the Bannister book I have. It moves along quite well, but again, it's mostly that bed time reading that slows me down.

Steph

« Reply #3235 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:28 AM »
Never head of Malliot either. I got out of my author list.. Needs retyping and putting in on my computer as well. I scribble names as I find them, and then need to get them in some sort of order.. Hmm.

Babi

« Reply #3236 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
 Me, too, STEPH.  I jot down titles, authors, movies that sound interesting. I
even check on-line to identify which ones my library has.  All I have to do then
is not lose the scribbles before I can get them into the little notebook in my
purse.  ::)

Frybabe

« Reply #3237 on: January 12, 2012, 09:22:05 AM »
I keep a desktop sticky note with the list of authors and books I am interested in. I printed the last list out to take to the used book store. If I happen to be on Amazon, I put them in my wish list too.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3238 on: January 12, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
I'm don'tknow Malliot either. But if she's making fun of the term "chick lit", I'm for her. I hate that term. What is the male equvelant. I can think of one, but it's not printable on a family site.

I was REALLY tempted to buy the latest Stephanie Barron on kindle. Good thing I didn't -- I dropped by my daughters, and she said "here, I've finished this" and handed it to me. She says its not as good. We'll see, I just started it.

MaryPage

« Reply #3239 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
I am reading THE HIDDEN CHILD by Camilla Lackberg.  I like her a lot.  This is the third book of hers I have read.  She is Swedish.