Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897887 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3320 on: February 01, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Steph, I have my list together now, so I know which books I still need. I have Death in Vienna, The Messenger, and Moscow Rules (4,6 & 8 in the series). There appear to be 11 in all. Is it best to start at the beginning? Silva has written several other spy novels as well, has anyone read any of the non-Gabriel Allon books?

Babi

« Reply #3321 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »
 Much as I would like to blame the lack of communication from the younger generation on the busy-busy technology, I blush to say I can't. I remember when I was a young mother, I was so caught up in the everyday rush and demands, that I neglected to contact my parents and grandparent, too. Mea culpa. I'm afraid it's a natural and normal transition phase that each 'older' generation has to recognize and accept.
  I'm very grateful that now that they are mature adults and I'm an
old lady, my kids are in frequent contact. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3322 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Good point Babi - although I was always too scared of the consequences not to contact my mother.  So at least I can comfort myself with the thought that when they do contact me it's because they actually want to (or at least, want money  ;D)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3323 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
Mea culpa, too. I'm lucky that my daughter is a better daughter than I was.(as is my son).

Steph

« Reply #3324 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »
Actually the first Silva I read was a non Gabriel.. He has writiten two that are not. I have been reading them out of sequence, but it is probably a good thing to do it in order. I dont mind and know enough to recognize all of his teams and wives by now.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

roshanarose

« Reply #3325 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Rosemary - I hope that you haven't been "snowed in" over there.  The weather sounds ghastly.  Thinking of you and yours.  Take care.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3326 on: February 05, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
Thanks Roshanarose - but I am looking out of the window on a fine sunny day and not a snowflake in sight!  I think there has been a lot elsewhere - my mother has snow in London (always a Major Event, thanks to the TV), but we had a cold and frosty morning that has turned into a beautiful afternoon.  East Lothian often seems to have its own microclimate.

Thanks for your concern though, much appreciated.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #3327 on: February 05, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
Rosemary - The town where I grew up, Armidale, in New South Wales was on the tablelands and it was a cold place.  We too had those beautiful clear winter days when one could drive out to visit beautiful waterfalls and stunning gorges.  I remember those happy days when I start to perspire profusely, as I am now, in Brisbane's sub tropical heat.

Glad that you and kin are not being inconvenienced by the snow.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

mabel1015j

« Reply #3328 on: February 05, 2012, 11:45:00 PM »
Finished James Patterson's Eighth Confession. It was o.k. Jumped around thru 2cases and a scenario w/ the ADA. I just realized that i have no idea what the title meant. I missed that all together.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #3329 on: February 06, 2012, 06:23:44 AM »
 Igave Patterson up.. Just too many authors involved.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3330 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
I see we have just lost Dorothy Gilman, author of the Mrs. Pollifax spy stories.  She was 88.  There were 14 Mrs. Pollifax books, and looking them up in Fantastic Fiction, I see I haven't read the last one.  Must fix that.  FF has already noted that she's gone--fast work.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3331 on: February 08, 2012, 02:55:09 AM »
I have just finished Alexander McCall Smith's latest Isobel Dalhousie book, 'The Forgotten Affairs of Youth', and I am sorry to say it was not very good.  I know some of you don't like him anyway, but for those of us who do this book is a bit of a let down - very formulaic, and I am getting so fed up with Isobel and her life of privilege that I am ashamed of the evil thoughts I have about what should really be happening to her... ;D

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3332 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »
Forgot to mention that last night I went to a talk at our library by a thriller writer called Caro Ramsay.  I had never heard of her and when I requested the ticket I must admit I thought she was actually Caro Fraser, who writes detective stories set in and around a barristers' chambers in London.  I did, however, realise the error of my ways before I went along!

Turns out Caro Ramsay is a native Glaswegian.  The evening was OK, but boy did she like the sound of her own voice - and dropping the names of all the much better known writers (Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, etc) that she is apparently best friends with. 

However, one interesting thing I gleaned is that Ian Rankin is being hugely pressured by his publishers to write another Rebus - you may recall that Rebus was retired some time ago.  Since then Rankin has written other fiction, but it seems that we are all such stick in the muds (I include myself in that) that his sales have fallen through the floor, so they want him to bring Rebus back to investigate a 'cold case'.  Ms Ramsay said that was one of the pitfalls of starting your series with a late middle-age detective - the end up too old when you still need to write books about them.  Not that I should think Rankin is remotely bothered about making more money - he's a very ordinary person, reputed to be extremely nice, and he will already have made a fair few bob, as they say, out of all the books and TV adaptations - I'm sure it's all the hangers-on who want to resurrect the gravy train.  Be good if he did write another Rebus though!

Another thing Ms Ramsay said was that publishers insist on a murder within the first 4 pages of the book, although Rankin sometimes gets away with not doing that because he is so popular.

Came home late (as Ms Ramsay could talk for Scotland) only to find that Madeleine had forgotten to put the oven on (despite verbal instructions and a back-up note in LARGE letters), so the meal I was eagerly anticipating was not there  >:(

Oh well, I'm glad I went as the audience was pretty small (it was a freezing cold night), and I'm hoping that the library will arrange some more of these sessions.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3333 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:03 AM »
Ah, the  joys of teens and their inability to see anything not related to them. Val McDermod.. I do like the books. Just finished listening to one...Nice intricate book with a double back at the very end.

nlhome

« Reply #3334 on: February 08, 2012, 07:44:16 AM »
Rosemary, I too sometimes go to library presentations that are not well attended, and I'm glad I go, too, if only to show support. We have a faithful core of people, and then a few others, but many stay inside in the winter especially. Our library serves coffee and cookies after them, a way of encouraging discussion (and attendance - I've found the sure way to get people to listen to my own work presentations is the lure of a snack.) Anyway, I've learned some very interesting things that way, even, as you say, some people who love to hear themselves talk. Unfortunately, I seem to be working when the best discussions come up. Recently they have been showing a series of Agatha Christie movies and having tea - those would have been fun.

I remember those days of leaving notes for my teens - they would come home from school and put their book bags on the table on top of the notes and then say "what note?" when I came home to nothing for supper.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3335 on: February 08, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
nlhome - I so agree about the refreshments.  I have just emailed the library lady who organised last night, saying thank you very much and had she thought about providing snacks?  I offered to provide them if that would help - if only 10 people turn up, that's only a couple of cakes or a batch of biscuits after all.  An American librarian whose book blog I follow holds what she calls 'brown bag lunches' once a month, at which she talks about new books in the library.  She provides coffee and cookies, the people bring their own sandwiches.  I believe they are immensely popular, but I imagine that is partly because she seems to be such an interesting person.

Those Agatha Christie afternoons sound absolutely lovely - what a great idea!

As for notes - I have run out of places to put them where they will actually read them.  Have tried sticking them to their doors, the fridge, the front door, everywhere - nothing so oblivious as a self-absorbed teenager!

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3336 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
I used to stick them on the fridge so they poked out beyond the edge of the door and whacked you in the face when you opened it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3337 on: February 08, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
 ;D

Babi

« Reply #3338 on: February 08, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
 ROSEMARY, I confess to having murderous thoughts about certain really nasty characters in my
reading.  I mean, they so-o-o deserve it!   >:(   
  In real life, I'm very mild, honestly,  and wouldn't harm a living thing....well, except roaches and
ants.   :P
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3339 on: February 08, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
There was once a woman who told her kids they could eat anything in the fridge except those things that had a note. She fixed a plate of chicken legs for dinner that evening, stuck a note on a toothpick on a leg, and came home to find the ONE LEG left on the plate.

nlhome, I agree.  Agatha Christie and tea sounds delightful.

I just looked up Scottish writer Caro Ramsay.  She has two books for Kindle, but they're both in German.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3340 on: February 08, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »
How weird - she did say her books had been translated into German, Norwegian, Turkish, etc - but you'd think they'd have the original versions.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3341 on: February 08, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about Dorothy Gilman -- one of my favorite writers. Her Mrs. Polifax is the person I would like to be when I grow up (although at 78, I'm beginning to think that there's no use growing up now!) Unfortunately, her last books were not good, I probably won't try to read the last one.

Agatha Christie and tea sounds perfect!

MaryPage

« Reply #3342 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:37 AM »
I, too, am sorry to hear Dorothy Gilman is gone.  Her books rank way up there in my small, all-time favorite mystery adventures.  I flat out adored Mrs. Emily Pollifax.  Rosiland Russell, remember her?  Well, she adored Mrs. Pollifax as well and all, and she caused a movie to be made with herself playing Mrs. Pollifax.  It was not very good;  especially as Russell did not fit the part at all.

Steph

« Reply #3343 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
Having spent a weekend being Nana to Grandchildren..If they are teens, the answer is to text them.. It is the only thing they seem to pay attention to. I found when I told Kait to text me,by text of course, it got done..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3344 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
If any of you are keen on Catriona MacPherson's mystery novels about Dandy Gilver:

http://www.dandygilver.com/

I thought I would just tell you that today my son, elder daughter and I walked from the village of East Linton to the foot of Traprain Law, the huge Bronze/Iron Age burial mound that features in the book 'Bury Her Deep'.  A massive stash of Roman silverware was also unearthed there in 1919.   

I'm afraid that by the time we got to the foot of the Law we were too tired to climb it - will have to go back another day and park there instead of miles away (we did have a lovely walk along the river bank to get there), but it was so impressive, and even from the foot you have a wonderful view of the coast, Bass Rock and the Isle of May:

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/eastlinton/traprainlaw/index.html

It was such a beautiful day today; blue skies, birds singing, daffodils about to open, snowdrops all along the river banks.  Perfect.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3345 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Here is a list of dandy Gilver books:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/catriona-mcpherson/

Got a sample of the first one on my kindle.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3346 on: February 15, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
Fabulous site, Rosemarykaye.  We loved all the prehistoric sites in the Highlands and the Orkneys when we were there.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #3347 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:59 AM »
My favorite was in the Orkneys.. Scarra Brae.. I could have spent all day there.. I loved The Orkneys. Beautiful territory. But I would suspect really really cold in the winter.
Off to set up for the book sale on Saturday.

Babi

« Reply #3348 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
ROSEMARY, it is apparent that the British still do a great deal of walking. Happily,
you have some beautiful countryside to do it in.  Americans (esp. me) don't do
nearly enough. We have some beautiful country, of course, but much of it is so
huge we are for more likely 'go for a drive' to enjoy it.

I'll have to check and see if my library has any MacPherson books. It's a new name to me.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3349 on: February 16, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
Babi - I have to say that many British people do absolutely no walking!  This county, East Lothian (formerly Haddingtonshire) probably has a higher number of walkers than elsewhere because it has beautiful countryside, the hills aren't too steep, and it has a huge number of young retired people who are very 'outdoorsy' - in fact, almost the whole population could be described as that.  I think if you looked at any of our major cities you would find that most people there are couch potatoes.

You're also absolutely right in saying that our countryside is more 'manageable' than yours - we can go for short-ish walks and see quite a lot, especially down here in the Central Belt.  In Aberdeenshire, where I used to live, there are longer distances between places - though walking is still popular - and on the north west coast the mountains are, by our low standards, huge; you can't just potter up them in your trainers, they are for serious hill walkers (like my son) and proper climbers.

There are a lot of walking clubs in the UK - the Ramblers Association is the best known and very well supported.

I like walking because you can do it at your own pace, it isn't competitive, and you get to see the countryside whilst you're doing it.  Although I do also swim, I don't like most other sports, and I really loathe the gym - I just can't see any pleasure in running on a machine in a hot sweaty room.  I also like walking in cities - I have walked around most of Edinburgh, large parts of London, bits of Birmingham and Manchester, and so on - you see so much more that way.  My parents-in-law live in the Lake District, so we have done quite a bit of walking there, but it is always so busy compared to Scotland, you sometimes feel like you're in the Piccadilly Circus of hill walking - and the towns, like Ambleside and Windermere, are constantly over-run with visitors.  Parents-in-law chose to live outside the national park partly for cost reasons but also to get away from the seething hoards.

Today I was driving back from Haddington in glorious sunshine, the sea in the Firth was blue, everything felt so springlike, and I knew exactly why so many people like living here and so few move away - we have all the joys of the countryside but are only 25 minutes from central Edinburgh - how good is that?

I hope you have good weather where you are,

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3350 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
"we have all the joys of the countryside but are only 25 minutes from central Edinburgh - how good is that?"

great!

I think you Brits have a different definition of walking than we Americans. When I was in London, we would ask for direction. "You can walk it" seemed to mean about three miles. Here it means about three blocks!

Three blocks is an accomplishment for me now with my walker. But I try to do it often.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3351 on: February 16, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
Steph, Scara Brae was my second favorite.  My favorite was the Ring of Brodgar - John had to drag me away.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

salan

« Reply #3352 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:03 PM »
Joan K, the same is true is Paris.  When my sisters and I were there & asked for directions; we were always told that it was just a 15 min. walk.  After the second "15 min. walk", we decided that they either walked very fast or that was just another way of saying "not very far".
Sally

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3353 on: February 16, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
Now when I go back to visit UK I still find people doing a lot of walking.  I think that the younger people do not do as much as was done 20. 30 years ago.  All own cars now at a early age.  Seniors seem to walk more that the seniors here in USA.  Areas are so close together up in Lancashire, Yorkshire. Family live in village foot of the moors and go up into the Lake district often.  I walk everywhere when there.  My aunts both, now passed last 4 years.  Late 80s and still took off for the  close three villages every day to do their shopping.  Every senior seems to own a dog and see them out walking them.

There still are lots of walking clubs I notice.  Ramblers have something going every weekend.  I don't see the Gym like we have here in my town in USA.  I don't like them.

Steph

« Reply #3354 on: February 17, 2012, 06:03:57 AM »
I live on a bike,walk,run trail, so I see lots of activities. The huge percentage of walkers are older..bikes,, mostly 30's or so and the runners, hmm, all ages. My neighbor who is early 60's ios a dedicated runner. I love walking, do it every morning when everythin is fresh and clean. My dogs get walked first and then I generally walk another mile by myself, so I can go faster. Corgi simply do not have long enough legs to really move fast.
I have walked most of the european cities and some of the country side.. I loved river boats because they stopped mostly in towns and you could get up early and take a nice walk in the villages.. Holland was great for that and the scenery was so very lovely.
But I do agree, most of my friends tend to be couch potatos..
But Rosemary,,, the gym,,, you dont have to do treadmills. There are wonderful classes at most gyms.. I take several classes a week. The Body Flow is slowly restoring my ability to stand on one leg and bend..etc.

Babi

« Reply #3355 on: February 17, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
 "potter up them"  That sounds so English! There are hikers here, of course, who spend
their vacations traveling by foot through scenic country. Bike clubs, motorcycle clubs,
etc. These are the more athletic among us, of which, unfortunately, I was never one. I
did join a gym once...lifetime membership...until it changed hands a couple of times
and I discovered 'lifetime' can get dropped by the wayside. I didn't particularly
enjoy it, but I felt very virtuous!
 Weather?  It's almost spring here. We have had the shortest, mildest winter in a very
long time. Perhaps it was nature's way of atoning for the drought and fires of summer.

MARYZ,  is Scara Brae an author's name? 

Oh,  as a side note,  Detective Bucket of  Dickens' "Bleak House" is one of the most
surprising characters,  and a really sharp detective.  If I were an actor,  I'd consider him the
best role to play in the book.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3356 on: February 17, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Skara Brae is a Neolithic village.  Read about it - way too complicated for me to get into.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3357 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
Finished a very disappointing Catherine Coulter book, Riptide. Had a good premise. The dgt of a high level CIA man was led to believe he had died when she was very small, but it was to protect her and her mother from a man whose wife her father had accidently killed. Now they think that man is stalking her. Some of it was good.

But in the last fifty pages the editor must have gone to sleep. There were disjunctions of activities in the story.....the gun was knocked out of her hand/ she's shooting the gun, the bad guy explains his story, then the sheriff's car is heard pulling up, then the sheriff arrests the guy for what he said BEFORE the sheriff got there and the sheriff had no way of knowing he did what he did.  Coulter must be farming out her writing, and the editor was missing in action too.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3358 on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »
Jean - I hate it when that happens.  I got one book where the author (or somebody) had written two different endings, and they put them both in the book.  ???  Just plain sloppy!  And obviously, nobody cares.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3359 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
What a fascinating site, Rosemary.  I hope you get a chance really soon to walk up this Law. (I'm not sure what a "law" is.  Are there "laws" in other parts of the UK.  And what is a "trig point?"  An interesting tale about the princess who was launched from there, but managed to survive.

A clever site for the Dandy Gilver books.  Her CV makes me think of the current TV ad about the librarian who lived through 180 years of exciting adventures, made possible by the careful  planning of some financial company.

I have the new Margaret Maron -- Three Day City -- from the library.  Am caught up in so many other books right now I hope I have a chance to get to it.