Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897926 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3480 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

WOW that sounds like something! Let us know what you think when you read it.

dbroomsc

« Reply #3481 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
I read a review of The Time in Between.  It sounded interesting.  Our library has 5 copies, but  I didn't place a hold, since I can't get to it until I finish the books I have on hand.  It is definitely on my TBR list though.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3482 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:12 PM »
Looks like another mystery in BLANKO, but I don't know it!

Steph

« Reply #3483 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:24 AM »
A 600 page mystery??Whew..Not sure that makes any sense. Tell us if you like it.
Dont think I will try Wigglesworth.
MCCrumb. I read all of her stuff, but love the Ballads. The others tend to get a bit cute for me.
I liked the racing and I have no interest at all in seeing a race.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #3484 on: March 23, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »
Sorry, ROSEMARY, but I will definitely avoid "Tea is For Terror".  My American view is that
is sounds awful.  :P
  The other book sounds good, tho'. I haven't heard of Daniel Edmondson before either, but
I'm delighted to hear of another author who gives us great background.

TOMEREADER has another great-sounding book. I'll hope to find the Maria Duenas book, as
well.  A most profitable morning here.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #3485 on: March 23, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »
Thanks, Tomereader, for mentioning the book THE TIME IN BETWEEN.  That sounds very good.

I don't mind 600+ page books when they are good.  I'm reading BELIEVING THE LIE by Elizabeth George, another 600+ pager.  Her later books have gotten pretty wordy - but this one is holding my interest very well.  I had to return Stephen King's 11/22/63 to the library because it was overdue, but I've got it on hold again -- another very good biggie, at 800+ pp.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3486 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
I wasn't sure I was going to like Margaret Maron's latest -- Three Day Town -- because it sounded a little gimmicky.  Deborah Knott and Maron's other series character, Sigrid Harold,  are together in this one.  But it was well-done, worked out fine and I enjoyed it.  Of course, I most always enjoy a New York setting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3487 on: March 23, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
I'm enjoying the Daniel Edmondson very much. I was looking for information on the author: afraid that I'm reading the African equivelant of Wigglesworth, since i know so little about Africa. But I couldn't find any biuographical details.

He is very funny, though.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3488 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »
What I'm reading while I await "The Time in Between":  I started on Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder".  I'm sure many of you have read it. I am liking it very much, but it is moving a bit slower than "Bel Canto" which is my favorite Patchett book.  No spoilers, but tell me how you liked/disliked the book.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3489 on: March 23, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
It must be over 40 years since I read "A tree grows in Brooklyn"  I just picked it up to read again. Got it in LP now.

Steph

« Reply #3490 on: March 24, 2012, 05:54:40 AM »
My favorite Ann Patchett is Patron Saint of Liars.. Oh how I loved that one. I like Bel Canto.. and another one I cannot remember the title of. Have not read the latest yet.
I am reading one of Rita Mae Browns hounds series..About fox hunting and Sister and Virginia.. Rita Mae has lived in the area she is writing about for many many years now and loves it very much. She uses it on all of her books.

Frybabe

« Reply #3491 on: March 24, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
I have been remiss in finding more of the cat series Rita Mae Brown wrote. She always brings some of the history of the area into her books as well as a wonderful country feel. I have not read any of her fox and hound books.

Babi

« Reply #3492 on: March 24, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
 Uh, MARJ. I've got to ask. Is 11/22/63 the date the book was due?

My library, alas, does not have a single Daniel Edmondson. Nor Marie Duenas. I shall look
elsewhere.

TOME, I though "Bel Canto" was well-written, but I found the ending most upsetting. It
almost prevented me from ever reading another Ann Patchett.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #3493 on: March 24, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
I finished Susan Wittig Albert's Mourning Gloria. One of the few of the China Bayles series i hadn't read. It was entertaining. I like her portrayal of Bayles and company. I would like all of them as friends, which is why i've kept reading the series. Smart Cookie's reluctance to marry Blacke is a refreshing change from female characters who are dying to get married. Ruby is excentric, but in another way very real w/ her lesbian-single-mother dgt. China's inheriting a son and a dgt makes the story have continuing change and freshness, unlike Stephanie Plum's life that just is more of the same in each book.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3494 on: March 24, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
JEAN: good point. And China moves her life along, too. Evanovitch sticks like glue to the formula that got her there.

Finished "Blue Murder" and ordered another in the series (also $0.99). I'm always eager to read another when I read a book I like. But I make myself wait til i've read a couuple of different books. Otherwise, I get tired of the author.

marjifay

« Reply #3495 on: March 24, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
Babi asked, "Uh, MARJ. I've got to ask. Is 11/22/63 the date the book was due?"

Funny, Babi.   (BTW, have you read it?  Good time-travel book; not the usual Stephen King's horror stories, altho' I've liked a few of them, i.e. THE STAND.)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #3496 on: March 24, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »
Because I had loved Ann Patchett's THE MAGICIAN'S ASSISTANT, I picked up her STATE OF WONDER.  I read about half of State of Wonder, but it was a DNF for me -- just did not keep my interest.

Marj

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3497 on: March 25, 2012, 03:32:35 AM »
Joan - so glad you enjoyed Blue Murder, it seems to be one of those little gems that no-one (inc me) has ever heard of.  I too tried to find some information about the author, but there was absolutely nothing - strange in these days of too much information about everyone/thing.

I hadn't found anyone who had read any Wigglesworth, which made me wonder how she had managed to publish so many books, so I looked up her publisher, "koenisha publications".  It seems to be a very small outfit attached to a church in Hamilton, MI.  Their logo is "Books to sink your mind into"  ::)

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #3498 on: March 25, 2012, 05:39:55 AM »
I have been reading the Aurora Teagarden mysteries by Charlaine Harris.  Someone here recommended them.  Easy, light reads.  I am enjoying them.  What is the last one in the series?  Does anyone here know?
Sally

Steph

« Reply #3499 on: March 25, 2012, 05:59:01 AM »
I have read all of the Aurora books.. The last one I remember is after her husband died. She was still trying to figure out what he did..Charlaine Harris has several small series. She is simply an interesting writer. I try to read everything she writes.. The SmallShakespeare series is a delight. Shows what the human spirit can do when given the chance. I think there are five books in the series.. It has a nice arc..

Babi

« Reply #3500 on: March 25, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
 Haven't read it, MARJ.  I swore off the Stephen King horror books after reading two of
them. His horror struck way too close to home for my comfort. His time-travel book, was
that "The Time in Between" mentioned earlier? I might be interested in that.

I can't find "Blue Murder.." or it's author anywhere over here, ROSEMARY. Amazon apparently
has it available, but only for Kindle.  Hopefully, Edmondson's will make it to the States
before too long and I'll get a chance to read it.

marjifay

« Reply #3501 on: March 25, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
Stephen King's 11/22/63, Babi, is about a man going back in time to try to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy.  I'm finding it very interesting, because I remember the events so well-- that awful time when for several days everything was closed and everyone was so sad and gloomy.  Everyone was just glued to the TV, when there were only about three TV stations, all showing the same depressing thing.  King's story is a good one.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3502 on: March 25, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
Salen: Here is a list of all Charlene Harris's books. Lookws like thee last Aurora teagarten one was "Poppy Done to Death" in 2003. I guess there won't be any more.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/charlaine-harris/

I like all her series except the one with vampires (Sookie Stackhose). Unfortunately, that seems to be the one everyone else likes: it's what she's writing now and it's all my library carries!

Steph

« Reply #3503 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:44 AM »
Oh my yes, I was very very pregnant during the Kennedy assasination.. I remember sitting glued to the tv for days.. I also remember going off to church and coming home to my husband saying. They killed Oswald.. That seemed to make it worse. As if we were back in the wild wild west.. A really hard time for the US

Babi

« Reply #3504 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
A book title that is a date. I'd never heard of it, so you can imagine my confusion, MARJ.  ???
I would imagine all of us remember the Kennedy assassination vividly, and painfully. I'll probably
skip reading that book.  I'd just as soon not revive those memories, esp. when I know how it
all ended.

Tomereader1

« Reply #3505 on: March 26, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »
The Time in Between book, which I mentioned much earlier is by Maria Duenas, not stephen king.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3506 on: March 27, 2012, 06:44:02 AM »
I am toying with reading it.. I am not fond of Stephen King.. He is very depressing most of the time.

Babi

« Reply #3507 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
 I would like to read the Maria Duenas book, but I can't find it locally anywhere.   :(

Tomereader1

« Reply #3508 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:13 AM »
It was published in Europe, and only recently was translated into English and published here by Simon & Schuster.  You might try their website:  Simon & Schuster.com

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #3509 on: March 28, 2012, 06:04:52 AM »
Finished the Rita Mae Brown HOunds book.. NOt much of a mystery but great for descriptions, plus a really unusual motive.. Have you ever heard of a cancer doctor who pursuaded patients that they had cancer and needed incredibly expensive treatments. They were fine and they split the insurance money as it came in..Now thats just flat out horrible.

Babi

« Reply #3510 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Thanks, TOME. I'll try that.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Reginald Hill's "Dialogues of the Dead".  The man truly has a way with
words and he has some most enjoyable characters. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #3511 on: March 28, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
I finally found Susan Albert's Darling Dahlias on the shelf. It's been on hold lists since it came out. I think i'm going to love this group of women and the descriptions of the time are very interesting. I know some of you read it, what did you think? Another North Carolina setting! What is it about that state?  ???

Jean

marjifay

« Reply #3512 on: March 28, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Just finished Elizabeth George's  BELIEVING THE LIE.  I was surprized that this long book kept up my interest all the way to the end.  One reviewer called it a "melodrama" and I guess it was, but a very interesting one. Her latest mystery with Inspector Lynley and Detective Sgt. Barbara Havers (my favorite character). Haver's T-Shirt that she wears into Scotland Yard on her day ofF has a slogan printed on it that almost put me on the floor laughing.   Lynley is asked by a wealthy baron to help him prove that his son is not a murderer.  This brings about a look into the baron's family secrets, with a juicy twist near the end.  Good read.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3513 on: March 28, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »
Babi: Reginald Hill is interesting. The ones I've read start out noir, but end up with happy endings. What is that --- semi - noir?

Steph

« Reply #3514 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:07 AM »
 Ilove Elizabeth George ( except for the one about the murderer) and will certainly read the new one. She is always a bit longwinded, but always interesting.
Reginald Hill never seems to hold my interest. I know most people love him, but alas, not me. On the other hand.. Daniel Silvas latest just came out in Paperback. Hooray. I am saving it for when I am down.

Babi

« Reply #3515 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
JOAN, there are a good many deaths in "Dialogues of the Dead" and a very clever, if nutso,
serial killer.  I can't call it 'noir', as there is so much good, humorous dialogue.
Actually, a very clever and readable mix. About the ending, I can't say. I'm hopeful, but
not there yet.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3516 on: March 29, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
Got in interesting (I hope) book from the library: "Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making" by John Curran. According to the blurb, it's notes from her notebooks, and is a sequal to an earlier such book. Dopes anyone know anything about it?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3517 on: March 30, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
Joan - I haven't heard of that book, let us know how you get on.

I've just finished another 'free for Kindle' - "Death by a Honeybee" (I think I mentioned it on the Library or somewhere) by Abigail Keam.  I enjoyed it - it's set in Kentucky, so lots of local interest, plus some good mystery threads and colourful, well drawn characters (IMO!).

My cats are moulting like crazy (thank goodness I don't have Persians) and the keyboard is covered in floating hair.  Need to do something about that before this evening, as Anna's friend is coming to stay and she's asthmatic.....

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3518 on: March 30, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »
My new long haired ( called a fluffy) Corgi rescue is shedding. I had him groomed and the undercoat removed, but long long haired finish coat is shedding as well. Drifts of hair all over.. Whew..
Went to the library for an author lecture yesterday. This week is our library system festival.
This man is a sort of fantasy-horror writer for young adults.. But I thought I would listen anyway..
There were seven people there and three were employees of the library. Me as an adult and three giggly girls. ( He is young and not bad looking).Sigh.. Not a success.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3519 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »
Steph - that is just what it was like at the last author event I attended (except the few of us there were adults) - it's so depressing when people don't support these things.

Rosemary