Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897955 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3640 on: April 28, 2012, 07:35:34 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Moran has written several books not about Judge Knott. I think I have read at least two.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3641 on: April 28, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
I did find one book by Miss Read that I had not read.  Finished it in one night.  Will miss reading here books.  Think now read them all.  One day I will start over again.

Steph

« Reply #3642 on: April 29, 2012, 06:32:34 AM »
I read several of Miss Reid, but not that thrilled with her. I am reading a Sparkle Hayter book about Robin. She is funny, sarcastic,, very very New York..But kind of fun.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3643 on: April 29, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Steph.  On such books as Miss Read. One has to have lived in English Village and know a little about the lives there.  I live part of time growing up in large town and then most of from 1939 to 1945 In a Village with others in my Family.  Just loved it.  Miss that time still today.  Our home is still standing up on a Hill there but the rest of the village was flooded in order to build 2 big reservoirs.  If the water low they say that on can see the top of the Church Steeple if looking down.  All the cottages, school, etc where not knocked down. just sunk. Breaks my heart as I think about it.  Progress they call it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3644 on: April 30, 2012, 03:14:44 AM »
I know Jeanne, it is so sad that they did that in many places.  We were driving past a reservoir in the Borders just yesterday, and I said to my husband, 'I wonder if there's a village under there?'  I recall reading one of those picture stories in June & School Friend when I was a child, in which the reservoir is flooded before the people have moved out, and the heroine saves them all by ringing the church bells - of course she drowns, but is forever remembered as the saviour of the community.  I must have been quite impressionable at that age!

Steph

« Reply #3645 on: April 30, 2012, 05:50:11 AM »
There are villages in the US as well that are drowned villages. The Corps of Engineers has a lot of answers that are not valid any more.. We have a semi canal in
Florida that is totally worthless..  Some resevoirs are necessary, but not all.

Babi

« Reply #3646 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
  Forgive my cynical mind, but when I read about things like worthless canals my first thought
is that some senator pulled strings to bring in funds for his supporters.  All the money that is
thrown away every year in just such a way is enough to make a taxpayer weep.  I wish,wish,
wish! there were more controls and checks on Congressional abuse of power.  #1: They would
not have the power to grant themselves salary increases, bonuses and perks whenever they pleased.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3647 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:06 AM »
Same here Babi - our politicians fix their own salaries at a level that is apparently 'necessary' (just like bankers' bonuses).  I'd love to have been able to fix my salary like that!

Rosemary

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3648 on: April 30, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Next time home in England I want to take a walk around the area of our Village.  People who lived there at same time have sent me many photo's of before it was flooded and so I have things to look at for memories.  Someone living in the House now has added additions to it sort of like the Tudor  look. Not even stone.  Looks awful as the houses, cottages . Church's, Schools and one Mill that was at the end of the village.  All the same Stone that goes back Centuries.

Steph

« Reply #3649 on: May 01, 2012, 05:59:05 AM »
Floridas mid canal was supposed to make it a short cut through. Did not work.. ever, but was built years and years ago. Of course now we are spending a lot of money to erase it and to also restore a lake and river down a bit further back to it original twisting form, since the corps of engineers made it into a straight line and destroyed more than they fixed.
We reelect these people..That is the problem.. Washington is full of people who assume they have to be important. After all they are reelected all the time. Sigh.

Babi

« Reply #3650 on: May 01, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »
Speaking of mysteries,  I just read that someone, somehow, stole a 10-ton Czech bridge!!
Surely that's not possible.  ???  On the other hand, the only alternative I can imagine is aliens
with weapons that will dematerialize anything.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3651 on: May 01, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »
As long as they don't dematerialize US!

Steph

« Reply #3652 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
The question from me is why would you want to steal a bridge??? Possibly for salvage. It could be a bridge way out somewhere that was dismantled for the steel???

Babi

« Reply #3653 on: May 02, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
 No idea, STEPH.  I'm hoping to see more on that story eventually.  Who wants to leave a
mystery unsolved and dangling?

serenesheila

« Reply #3654 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
How will the thieves hide something as big as a bridge?

Sheila ::)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3655 on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
Maybe, like a car, they strip it down on site and haul away the parts in a large semi?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3656 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3657 on: May 02, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
That's a riot.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3658 on: May 02, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
10 Ton is not a very big bridge. if taken down little by little should be able to move it by a stuck.  I doubt they get enough for it if selling for scrap to have made it worth while. Lot of work.  Maybe it was famous for some reason and wanted for a trophy. someone building a Miniture Railway on his land.. Have a couple of people done that over here.
Look how much some crazy state paid for the Middle part only of the "Tower Bridge" in UK. Isn't it in Arizona?. Did not get the 2 end buildings. they are still there in London

Steph

« Reply #3659 on: May 03, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
Ah the joys of saying.. Come see my bridge.. Just a tiny thing I wanted..

Babi

« Reply #3660 on: May 03, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
 ;D

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3661 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Yes, I often say that about the Mount Rushmore in my back yard!

Steph

« Reply #3662 on: May 04, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
I suspect there is nothing that people wont steal if given the chance..

Tomereader1

« Reply #3663 on: May 04, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
You are so right, Steph.  Remember when there was a rash of thefts of people's hanging baskets from their front porches?  We had that here.  And the strangest one I can think of, that is very personal to me, someone stole all the bricks I had as edging around my front porch flower bed.  All 37 of them.  And even stranger, why anyone would want them, as they are what we call "pink" brick.  It's not red brick.  Not a lot of houses in this neighborhood who would have that color brick.  And, there were no teenagers living in the direct area, so I'm sure it wasn't just a teen prank.  They came sometime in the night, and how they dug them up and hauled them off without waking either of us is still a mystery. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3664 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
Just came back from the library with a haul of mysteries, including an Ann Perry I (think I) haven't read.

salan

« Reply #3665 on: May 04, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I owned a Hallmark Gift shop for 10 years; and had a few thefts; but there are 2 that really stand out.  One was when someone dug up one of my small succulents in my front flower bed and drove off with it.  All I know was that it was there when I opened my shop in the morning and gone at 5:30 when I left.  I was indignant!  Somehow, I just couldn't imagine a gardener/plant lover to be a thief. 
Every year the town had a scarecrow decorating contest in October.  I made a cowboy scarecrow and dressed him in some old worn out cowboy boots and an old western hat of my husband's.  Someone stole the hat and boots in the night. 

Sally

Steph

« Reply #3666 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
We lived in a victorian house in New Hampshire in the early 80's.. Had a long long drive with young evergreens every 3'... The first Christmas, someone came in the night and sawed down the one by our mailbox.. My husband and I were amazed, It was nowhere big enough to be a Christmas tree.. People are strange in the stealing. I have heard many times of plant thieves.. Seems if you have something rare or beautiful where people can get it, it will get stolen.. I guess tall fences are a super idea.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3667 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »
A couple of years ago we had deep snow and I put some metal garden ornaments - a penguin and a snowman - out in one of my plant tubs.  They disappeared.  I sounded off long and loud to my daughters about how could anyone be so petty.  Then the snow melted, and guess what was underneath?   ;D ;D

Babi

« Reply #3668 on: May 05, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »
Well, SALLY, we can hope that at least they were stolen by some homeless guy who
really needed them. Stealing a plant right out of your front flower bed is pretty
brash. I suspect people don't often think of plants in such locations as being
private property. They act as if any public place is as free as a country meadow.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3669 on: May 05, 2012, 01:58:07 PM »
Our local gardening show, while discussing a certain kind of palm tree, warned that they were often stolen because they were valuable. Is there a black market in palm trees? I guess so.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3670 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
My Friend had a beautiful front Garden.  She had 2 deer and 2 baby ones.  It took 3 men to set them up as so heavy.  Someone stole them.
This is a University town and lots of things go missing. specially Street signs that are different.  Christmas decorations  at Christmas time are things that will go fast.

Steph

« Reply #3671 on: May 06, 2012, 05:59:06 AM »
 I lived at the beach for four years. At the beach, people assume that anywhere is public.. Your porches, your picnic tables, etc. Drove me nuts.

Babi

« Reply #3672 on: May 06, 2012, 08:40:27 AM »
 I started a pb mystery last night, and soon realized I was now reading two mysteries. Both
involve the death of a young woman, one set in Regency England and one set in modern times.
And in both, the hero is dealing with tensions in his love life as well.  But then, we always knew
the same stories are basically told over and over again,  and it's the skill of the writer that makes
a difference.  The books, by the way, are "When Maidens Mourn" and "Silent Partner".  I'll
let you guess which is the Regency.  ;)

mabel1015j

« Reply #3673 on: May 06, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
 ;D

CubFan

« Reply #3674 on: May 06, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Thanks FlaJean for the head's up that Susan Albert's new Cat's Claw was out. I read it this week and enjoyed it very much. She writes so well.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

roshanarose

« Reply #3675 on: May 07, 2012, 01:15:27 AM »
In Australia people love to steal Garden Gnomes.  These tiny kidnapped chaps often turn up at University Orientations in their hundreds, solemnly listening to the speeches.  Then there is another rash of kidnaps before Graduation, and you have even more gnomes listening in.  They do make such a strange sight.

Every time I see them I think of Basil Fawlty grasping a garden gnome and setting out in search of his Irish carpenter. ;D
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #3676 on: May 07, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »
Ah College pranks.. All in good form however. When my older engineer son got his Bachelors, some professor in the Engish department did not get tenure. All of the liberal arts majors brought in a coffin during the march in for graduation. The engineers were horrified, but I thought it was funny.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3677 on: May 07, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »
Have any of you read "Sacre Bleu" by Moore. I just heard of it -- a baker and others teem up with Toulous-Loutrec to solve the mystery of Van Gogh's death. I got a sample on my kindle -- I'll let you know. I don't think the author is a mystery writer, so it might be a good book, but not a good mystery (if you know what i mean}.

Steph

« Reply #3678 on: May 08, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »
Sacre Bleu sounds interesting.. I like books that include well known other authors or artists..

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3679 on: May 08, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
I know some of you have read the Dorothy Martin series by Jeanne Dams.  I was afraid she had stopped writing them, but she has a new out named The Evil That Men Do.  Dorothy moved to England after her husband died and is now married to a retired policeman.  Amazon has it for kindle, by the way.