Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897982 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3840 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Kate is mo complex, but Liam is interesting too.. I do feel with Kate.She is best read in sequence. So much of how she reacts now depends on past books.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3841 on: June 22, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Don't you love cheap kindle books?

I recommended Ely griffith to a friend with a kindle several days ago. She called me last night: well, I've been reading all day and read all three of her books. And the next one isn't out until july. What other author can you recommend?

Steph

« Reply #3842 on: June 23, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
Whew.. I just read an article on Slate yesterday on the Kindle.It talked of how much the publisheres charge libraries to have ebooks.. Wow.. Libraries who have their budgets cut struggle with the charges. Both sides have issues, but still over 100.00 for a book that might cost my as an ebook .99 doesnt sound fair.

marjifay

« Reply #3843 on: June 23, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
I enjoyed Ely Griffiths' THE JANUS STONE, a Ruth Galloway novel.  Interesting story, and had a lot about Greek and Roman mythology.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

nlhome

« Reply #3844 on: June 23, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
I think libraries must have special licenses or rules to allow e-books to be loaned out.

Someone mentioned Rinehart - I enjoy reading her books because they are so "old-fashioned." Sometimes that is relaxing - and there's all this "had I but known" and stereotypes and impossible plots and foolish characters, and setting in the past.

Of course, some of those comments could refer to some of the "mysteries" cranked out today, too.

salan

« Reply #3845 on: June 24, 2012, 05:49:33 AM »
Our small library just got ebooks a couple of months ago.  They had a training session to show those of us with e readers (kindle, etc) how to access the books.  Our head librarian encouraged us to make use of this feature.  It had something to do with a grant being issued.  She said this feature was very expensive & the library had to show that it was used enough to warrent the grant.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #3846 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
Yes, there are grants available for the ebooks. Here in Franklin, Macon county just got a grant to help the library use the ebooks.
Had fun yesterday. Read Hot and Bothered by ane Isenberg. I have read a few of her books about Bel..This one was interesting since she placed it just after 9-11..

mabel1015j

« Reply #3847 on: June 24, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
I like Isenberg's books, having been a prof in a NJ community college adds an additional interest for me, plus i'm familiar w/ the geographic area she talks about.

I finished the Patterson book. A good read, not engrossing, but as i said, i like the 4 women and there friendships. I don't undderstand why the tv show didn't make it.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #3848 on: June 24, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
Our library is part of a consortium of small libraries here in Iowa that share a collection of ebooks.  The publishers are trying hard to get a lot of $$ for these...by trying first to not sell to libraries and then by limiting the number of times each ebook can be loaned out (26 was the last figure I heard) before a new license must be purchased.  Although many think libraries get items cheaper than the public; that was not the case when I was working as a librarian.  Some things, like periodicals, were more expensive if they went to a library simply because the publisher knew he was losing individual buying with a lib. subscription.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3849 on: June 24, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
Just finished "Wicked business" by janet Evanovitch. the second in the "Luizzie and Diesel" series. Light, but funny and enjoyable. She uses the series to give a tour of the Boston area.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3850 on: June 24, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »
Janet Evanovich Aapparently has a non-Stephanie Plum mystery series that i just heard about. They are called the "wicked" series and there are two so far. Sounds interesting.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12275680-wicked-business

Oh, i "modified" my msg while you were writing Joan......teehee

Steph

« Reply #3851 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
I read the first Wicked.. Diesel has also been in a few short stories with Stephanie..

marjifay

« Reply #3852 on: June 25, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
I also liked James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series, Jean.

Have you read Pattersn's ALEX CROSS'S TRIAL?  That's my favorite of the ones I've read by him.  Not the usual Patterson fare.  Historical novel, about one of Alex Cross's ancestors who lived in a small town in Missippippi during the early 1900s when lynching was still prevalent there. Good writing and characterization. Not only suspenseful, but it really gave me the feeling of what it must have been like to live there at that awful time. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3853 on: June 25, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »
JEAN: great readers think alike! I like the "Wicked" series: it's fresher than the Plum books, which have been kind of mined out.

Steph

« Reply #3854 on: June 26, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
I like the Wicked, but confess that although Stephanie is running on neutral, I keep hoping that Evanovich will move her ahead in her life. And for heavens sakes,, knock off with the Lula, who is getting really really old.

marjifay

« Reply #3855 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »
Charlaine Harris's REAL MURDERS was a DNF for me.  I thought the writing was awful -- too many nonsequiturs, illogical assumptions.  I remember Aurora remembering she'd seen the detective's picture in the newspaper after he arrested a drug dealer.  My ex was a drug enforcement detective, and a sane detective would never let himself be identified by a photo in a newspaper!

Marj

Babi

« Reply #3856 on: June 29, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
 I have the same problem with many police and medical dramas on TV,  MARJ.  How
often I find myself crying out,  "Aw, come on! They'd never do that!"  Or just as bad,
totally overlooking something that's perfectly obvious to the viewer.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3857 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
I do agree, I have a son involved in law enforcement and he would never have his picture in a public place. Just like when he was doing some parole stuff, he never had pictures of his kids in his office.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3858 on: June 29, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
I have a SIL who as been a Investigator with the Sheriff dept. for 28 years. come to think of it I have never seen his picture in the paper or on the Local TV. Even when he is giving talks or working on a case.
I suppose the reason being.  They dress as civilians  and would not help to have faces so well known when out on the job.

CubFan

« Reply #3859 on: June 29, 2012, 01:38:28 PM »
Just received a new mystery book order that will be perfect reading for the next few hot days while it's too uncomfortable to do anything else. When possible I'll be out in my swing with a glass of lemonade. The alternative is being shut inside with air conditioning. Didn't get anything very deep so  I don't overtax my mind either.  The titles this round are: Nashvlle Noir (Jessical Fletcher), The LIes That Bind (book binder), Exit Lines (new author for me) Threadbare (needlecraft), and Death, Taxes, and Extra-hold Hairspray (IRS agent).

Stay cool everyone.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3860 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Let me know what you think of "The Lies That Bind" Cubfan.  I wasn't that impressed with it.

Haven't read any of the others, but looking forward to hearing your opinions of them.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #3861 on: June 30, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
Just finished a book about a tattoo artist who investigates crime.. Think I wont pursue the series. Just way too many coincidences and her forging ahead and interfering with the investigation.

Babi

« Reply #3862 on: June 30, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
 I've just started the second Imogen Robertson book, "Anatomy of a Murder".  It's the Harriet
Westerman and Crowther series (new).  The first one was "Instruments of Darkness".  There
are other books by that title, so take notice of the author.  Historical setting,  mid-19th century
England; still fighting the American rebels and fending off the opportunist French.  So we step
aside from that to distract ourselves with a mystery.  ;)
  I tried a Kate Atkinson, and found I was too impatient with it to want to continue.  We just
did not connect.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3863 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
I agree about Kate Atkinson. I tried three times to read her and simply lose patience each time.Probaby me..

salan

« Reply #3864 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
Babi and Steph, I agree about Kate Atkinson....just couldn't keep interested.
Sally

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3865 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:17 PM »
Well it was me too Steph.  Got bored.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #3866 on: July 01, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
Well I'm another one who, after reading a Kate Atkinson book (Case Histories) would not bother with any more of hers.

Imogen Robertson's Instruments of Darkness sounds good, Babi.  Put it on my list.

What's the title of the book you read about the tattoo artist, Steph?  Just curious.

The best mystery I've read recently is White Heat by M.J. McGrath.  What great research she did on the Arctic region!  Now I've got Dana Stabenow's Restless in the Grave waiting to see how they compare.

Marj

CubFan

« Reply #3867 on: July 01, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
Rosemary - Finished both Death Taxes & Extra Hold Hairspray  & The Lies That Bind. Both are pretty much the same - no substance - pretty girl, macho man, quirky friends/family, and unrealistic situations. I'm always looking for different settings thinking that they will include new story lines. I do find the information on book binding/book restoration interesting. I think that some of the mystery topics that are now out there - museums, libraries, rare book collecting, book binding, IRS collection agent (Death Taxes ...) have the potential for good stories but these authors lack imagination and quality writing ability.  Oh well - a bit fluff reading is just like an occasional junk food meal - helps us appreciate quality. The new Louise Penny will be out the end of August & followed the next week by a Susan Albert. Then reading will be a pleasure.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3868 on: July 01, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Mary - I feel just the same about a lot of these 'themed' mysteries.  The backgrounds are interesting and have a lot of potential, but the writing lets them down time after time.  I don't really know how some of them get published.

I am so looking forward to Louise Penny's latest.  I haven't read any Susan Albert, but she is on my TBR list.

Has anyone read Victoria Hamilton's mystery 'A Deadly Grind'?  I've read some good reviews.

Did I mention 'Blue Murder at Kudu' by Daniel Edmondson?  It's a book I got free on Kindle, and IMO it was far superior to the usual offerings.  I put a review on Amazon UK.  It has three 5 star reviews.  It's not exactly a cosy but it's certainly not 'blood and guts' either - it's quite quirky and I enjoyed it.

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #3869 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:14 PM »
We had a new and terrible kind of storm called a derecho and were without phone or TV or on line service for a couple of days.  Five people dead here and thousands without power still and cars and homes crushed by trees. 

What is the MATTER with me?  I adore Kate Atkinson;  just cannot get enough of her.  She is so deeply into character and knows so much about how people think.

Well, mebbe I'm a square peg.

Steph

« Reply #3870 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
Driven to Ink by Karen E. Olson was the tattoo book. She writes two different series. Will try her other, but found the tattoo as  interestin about tattoos, but not interesting about plot.. Hmm.. I know Picky..

Tomereader1

« Reply #3871 on: July 02, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
Rosemary, I always love your comments on authors/books here. I am wondering how the book offerings in the U.K. differ from those in the U.S., and do you get the same stuff we do, only later?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3872 on: July 02, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Tome, I think it just depends where the book originated - Louise Penny is of course Canadian, so I presume her books are published in N America first (not exactly sure why.)

I think far more of the 'cosy' mysteries originate from the US.  Some are written here (Hazel Holt, for example) but these themed ones seem to be a N American fashion at the moment.  

Thank you so much for your comments.  I always feel very poorly read compared to the many accomplished and educated women on our wonderful site.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #3873 on: July 02, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
And my thoughts are that the "cosies" are all from U.K. authors.  Our mystery writers seem to be all "hard-boiled" even the women authors lately.  I think Louise Penney's are released in U.K. first, but usually (I believe) under different titles than we get here in U.S.

Oh, don't feel "poorly read".   You seem every bit as accomplished and educated as some others.  It is amazing though how far the pendulum swings in what some of us like and some don't.  Takes all kinds to make a world, right?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #3874 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
Speaking of different tastes.........

I'm reading my 3rd Sue Grafton book and none of them have grabbed me, even tho i know some of you really like her. I read "A", "N" and "S". I think i'll give up on her.

I just finished a good Lisa Scottoline, Running from the Law.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3875 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
Lucky that we like different things. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all alike?

I admit I gobble up the cozies (Loved "Death, taxes ...). It's the equivelant of eating chocolates for me (well, not quite -- I eat chocolates WHILE I'm gobbling ...) then every once in a while, I want a solid meal (like the Greek dramas we just finished).

Halfway in between is "God of Gotham", a mystery about the founding of the NY police force in the 1840s. Like Victoria Thompson, but a little darker. Too long (400 pages) and enough characters, plot and background for two books. but good.

retired

« Reply #3876 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »
For Mabel :
I have read the majority of Sue Grafton's mystery novels and
enjoyed them .   She has a good sense of humor as well.
I have often laughed aloud at midnight reading one of her novels.

Try T for Tresspass which focuses on Elder Abuse .

salan

« Reply #3877 on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:12 AM »
I love cozy mysteries.  They are my go-to books for pure relaxation.  However after a while I find that I need something of substance.  I've also found that if I am not careful, I can "glut" myself on an author.  I took a break a long time ago from Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Charlaine Harris and others.  The cozies are really much better if you vary the authors!
Sally

Babi

« Reply #3878 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
 I have come to the opinion that attempting to carry on any series too long is a
mistake.  Even a good author can get into a rut.  Sooner or later, a series lapses
into 'same old same old', with nothing fresh to make the reading worthwhile.

MaryPage

« Reply #3879 on: July 04, 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
AGREED!