Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898007 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3880 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I love Louise Penney.I dont now who her publisher is, but that will determine when the book is released. Many books are simultaneous..
I read all sorts of mysteries. Dont read Patterson.. Refuse to cater to the writing factory.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #3881 on: July 06, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
 I've finished Imogen Robertson's second 'Mrs. Westerman' book,  "Anatomy of a Murder", and
liked it even better than the first.  The lady is an impressive writer.  My only complaint is that
at least two people died that I really, really wanted to live.  People who were admirable and really
contributing.  I suppose I should give her points for insisting on the reality of murder's devastation, instead of settling on less painful losses.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3882 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
Never heard of Imogen and will look her up later today.. We are still in the hot hot afternoons in the mountains and then a storm late in the day.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3883 on: July 06, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
I finished S is for Silence and it got much better in the second half. One of the fun things was that she was writing flashbacks to the fifties and throw in numerous 50s artifacts - tangerine lipstick, bolero coats, waring blender, etc.

I'm reading Victoria Thompson's Murder on Marble Row, which is a good, easy read. She does a nice job of writing the fine line of having Sarah be a strong independent woman w/ still staying in the Victorian woman's "place" and behavior.

Jean

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3884 on: July 06, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
If it doesn't cool down soon I am afraid that my whole personality is going to change. Had enough. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3885 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
We neeed to read a nice mystery in a snowstorm! Scotteline wrote a good one, but I don't remember the name.

CubFan

« Reply #3886 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
How about one of Sue Henry's Jessie Arnold mysteries set in Alaska during Iditarod season?

It's supposed to be bearable here tomorrow.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

nlhome

« Reply #3887 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »
We have one more very hot day, but at least not to reach 100 again. I hope to sit outside in the evening and read - it's too hot now until it gets dark, then it cools down a very little.

I am rereading another Agatha Christie, At Bertram's Hotel. Perfect for these hot days - I couldn't tackle anything really complicated or depressing.

Babi

« Reply #3888 on: July 07, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
JEANNE, I know how hard really hot weather can be for one not used to it. I might be
worthwhile to invest in a small window ac or two. Or spend the heat of afternoon at
air-conditioned matinees.
  Only one more day, NL? Are you anywhere near Jeanne's part of the country? We're now into July, which means the worst of the summer heat is still ahead of us. July and August, are our hottest months. To anyone who wishes to visit Texas, I strongly recommend April-May or late September-October.

If you're interested in a book  that made me shiver for this hot spell, I can recommend Alistar MacLean's "Ice Station Zebra". 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3889 on: July 07, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »
When the sun goes down here, it is lovely high 60's.. For a Florida girl, that is practically winter. I do love it. Dana Stabenow does wonderful cold Alaska stuff.. Giles Blunt makes the weather into part of his stories. Wonderful author.. A bit grim, but great stories.

marjifay

« Reply #3890 on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Babi.  I've put Ice Station Zebra on my list.  

Another good one is 62 HOURS by Lee Child.  Fighting the bad guys in 30 degrees below zero...  brrrrr.....

One more I loved is  WHITE HEAT by M. J. McGrath. This debut mystery was my best read of the month.  The heroine is a part Canadian/part Inuit hunting guide in Canada's far Arctic north. She cleverly and very determinedly solves a couple of baffling murders. You really get the feeling of what it's like to live in the frigid, icy north.  The research she did was fantastic -- the language, customs of the people, and the fleshing out of the characters. Just excellent.

Luckily we are having nice weather in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.  It was 61 degrees last night.  (Isn't that cool weather wonderful, Steph?)

We're going down to the Los Angeles Harbor at San Pedro today to see the opening to the public of the battleship Iowa which is being made into a museum there.

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3891 on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:41 PM »
I recently finished my first JUlia Spencer-Fleming -- IN the Bleak MidWinter.  Loved it, and it was a real lifesaver because I was going through a bunch of stressful stuff, and really needed to get unstressed.  All well now.  ONe thing though, throughout the book I kept worrying about what does the chief's wife think about all his get-togethers with the lady priest.  I'm looking forward to reading more.

Harlan Coben's Caught was another one that helped the mind escape.

I don't know if it's still in print, but Winterkill by Jefferson will send you chills on a hot summer day.  Several people are seeking shelter from a blizzard, and there is a killer on the loose.

Last Thursday made history in my town.  We didn't hit 100 degrees.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3892 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
MARJ: I've avoided mentioning the weather here in Socal (Southern California), for fear people would want to kill us. Here, people were complaining about the heat when it was 80! And complain about the cold when it's 60! Yesterday was so hot, I took my sweater off!

Of course we pay for the wonderful weather with earthquakes and fires. And with realestate prices that are through the roof!

Where are you? I'm in Torrance. We go to the little aquarium in San Pedro (and the bigger one in Long Beach). And bird lover me goes to Balsa Chica near Seal Beach whenever I can talk my son into it.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3893 on: July 07, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
Babi.

My A/c Has not stopped running for a month.  Surprised that our Power hasn't gone off with all the use of Electricity.
Only go out early morning or after sun goes down.  I like to be on the run most of the time but not in this hot weather.  They say we could get a break by Tuesday.

marjifay

« Reply #3894 on: July 07, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
JoanK wrote, "MARJ: I've avoided mentioning the weather here in Socal (Southern California), for fear people would want to kill us. Here, people were complaining about the heat when it was 80! And complain about the cold when it's 60! Yesterday was so hot, I took my sweater off!."

Whoops!  I really do commiserate with those suffering in  the 100 degree weather.  I lived in Iowa in the 1950s before anything was air-conditioned.  Worked at Better Homes & Gardens and we'd take our summer vacation in half days and go swimming when it got too hot to concentrate on work.  Left Iowa as soon as I found out there was someplace else to go!

I didn't know there was an acquarium in San Pedro!  Will look for it.  Like to walk on that hill with the big Korean bell.  

We went to see the Iowa today.  Too many people to board her.  My son said he was disappointed, and that if he'd been in charge there would have been a big brass band playing on the deck and lots of balloons and flags flying.  We'll go back later when it's less crowded.

I love the Bolsa Chica pier watching the birds and fish.  Maybe my son and I have bumped into you and your son.  We stop by any time we drive by it.  (I live in Buena Park, northern Orange County.)

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #3895 on: July 07, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
I like Harlan Coben's books.

We have just had the highest temperatures for this date in recorded weather history.  I am in Annapolis, and that holds true for the whole Washington, Baltimore, Annapolis Megalopolis.

Frybabe

« Reply #3896 on: July 08, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »
Babi you mentioned Ice Station Zebra. I've never read the book, but it is one of my all time favorite movies.

Steph

« Reply #3897 on: July 08, 2012, 09:20:32 AM »
Julia Spencer-Fleming is a favorite of mine.They are books that really need to be read in sequence for a number of reasons..
I am reading a truly silly mystery about Amish country. I have read this woman before, not a favorite, but mindless in all this heat is a good thing.

Babi

« Reply #3898 on: July 08, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Only way to do it, JEANNE. Air conditioning, errands early morning or late evening,
and definitely no over-exertion in the heat of the day.  I wasn't sure if you lived in
a part of the country that routinely has AC. We didn't need it the two years we were in California, but the realtor there I recall proudly showed off a new innovation...an
attic fan! I couldn't help but grin. Attic fans had been around a long time down here in
Texas.

Oh,yeah, I saw that movie, FRYBABE.  Every outdoor scene was white and gray/
black.  A 'chiller' in more ways than one.  ;)

nlhome

« Reply #3899 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
Babi, one more day in this heat wave. We are down to mid to high 80's for the rest of the week here in southern Wisconsin. However, no rain in sight. I don't mind the brown lawn, but the farmers are really in trouble. Cornfields are turning brown. Yesterday there was a fire in a wheat field somewhere down here.

I'm reading The Janus Stone by Elly Griffiths. While it's not set in cold weather, it takes place in a cooler area in England, Norfolk, in spring. Did sit outside last evening after supper, glass of wine, feet up, reading for a long time and enjoying the cooler breezes. The last few nights it was still in the 80's when we went to bed, 78 in the mornings, so waking to 66 degrees this morning was a treat.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3900 on: July 08, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
Can't believe it. Been so long but I am looking out my windows and RAIN is coming down.  It was 89 deg.  Maybe after it stops I will open windows and doors for awhile.  Get some Fresh air in the house.  Should cool down a little.  Hope it is cooler for rest of the week. Way behind on housework. Ahead on book reading and DVD movies though.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3901 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
MARJ: I'll look for you when we're at Bolsa Chica. I'm usually the only one there in a wheelchair. My son is an expert at pushing my chair where no wheelchair has gone before.

I haven't checked to see if the blacknecked stilt is nesting there this year. Isn't it neat!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3902 on: July 08, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »
I love elly-griffiths. The Janus Stone is the SECOND in the series and if, like me, you read it first it, contains spoilers as to the first. Best to read Crossing Places first.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/elly-griffiths/

marjifay

« Reply #3903 on: July 08, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
I liked Elly Griffiths' THE JANUS STONE, nlhome. (Do you have another name or nickname?)
I see from Fantastic Fiction that she has two since then.  Like her bits about Roman
mythology.

Happy to hear that your weather and others is cooling down a bit.

Marj

nlhome

« Reply #3904 on: July 08, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »
I did read the first, Crossing Places. And I am enjoying this one now.

Should get down to 63 tonight, but it's 88 at 4 p.m. so 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, 13 degrees cooler than the days before, give or take a degree. But no rain in sight.

Marj - it's Nan

Steph

« Reply #3905 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »
We had rain about 4pm and it cooled us down considerably.. However it is very very moist indeed in the mountains, I know.. complain complain complain.. But i do love the mid 60's andslightly drier..

mabel1015j

« Reply #3906 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3907 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
Hello all,

I have been away in Aberdeen for a few days, then when I got back I was virtually locked out of the internet.  I assumed this was - as it often is - due to our terrible broadband service, but husband finally suggested I load Google Chrome and try that instead of Safari (which comes installed on MacBooks) - what a difference!  My internet is working better than it has done for months - it was getting to the point that I had to type a few words then sit and read a column of the newspaper whist I waited for the words to appear on the screen - also almost every other site I tried to 'visit' would be 'not responding' according to Safari.  It was also always telling me I was 'not connected to the internet' when I plainly was.  I am - so far - delighted with Google Chrome - so here I am, BACK!

And MaryPage, I thought you might enjoy this article by Val McDermid (who may not be well known in the US, but is a very popular and celebrated murder mystery/police procedural writer here) about Reginald Hill:

http://crimewritingmonth2012.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/in-appreciation-of-reginald-hill/

Right - having a rare rain free day here before another deluge promised for tomorrow, so am off to walk up the hill with Madeleine before dinner.

Rosemary

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #3908 on: July 10, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »
Rosemary, if you click on Safari, there is a "Reset Safari" which might help.  However, I like Google Chrome but Firefox is my choice as I am so used to it.  I think Safari could use some improvement.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3909 on: July 10, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
A good tribute to a good writer.

I love my kindle! When I read the last Elly Griffiths book, it gave me the option of ordering the upcoming one to be delivered July 10. Last night, I couldn't sleep, so at 2 AM, I turned on my kindle, and here it came. What other library is open at that hour? (Of course, when I got on the computer this morning, there was the bill).

mabel1015j

« Reply #3910 on: July 10, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Joan  :D i'm sure it was worth it! Isn't it nice to be at an age when we don't feel compelled to buy the "right" things or the need to buy clothes or shoes or jewlery, and only need to spend money on what we really want. I just love being this age and being retired. Not only do i not need to buy much except what i want, but i'm free to set watever schedule i want! Hooray!

Jean

Steph

« Reply #3911 on: July 11, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
I like Val McDermid very much..An excellent writer who always surprises me.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3912 on: July 11, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
I accidently found a good Margaret Maron book to read in hot weather - Winter's Child. It's a Judge Knott story,  set in January in NC, of course. This one is as much, or more,  about Dwight and his son as about the Judge. The last one of hers i read was a little blah to me, but this one is very good. There are two mysteries, one a professional and one a personal one for Dwight.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3913 on: July 11, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Steph - I'm glad you like Val McD.  I think she's a very interesting and nice person, as well as a good writer.  I've seen her occasionally talking on TV, and she is often on Twitter.  She likes dogs too  :)

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #3914 on: July 11, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
I just finished Julia Spencer-Fleming's A FOUNTAIN FILLED WITH BLOOD.  Have to say it was a little better than her first, altho a bit uneven IMO.  A couple parts were very good -- the helicopter ride was page turning and her being trapped in the bathroom while listening to the conversation in the other room was very funny.  Liked the fact that she's such a gutsy lady for being a priest. 

Marj

nlhome

« Reply #3915 on: July 11, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
Just finished The Janus Stone by Elly Griffiths. Interesting read. I might pick up the next one.

Steph

« Reply #3916 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »
Spencer-Fleming shows a woman warts and all as a priest. I like that as well as the fact that she struggles with her religion.. An interesting woman.. The mysteries are ok, but the writing is fine and the characterization is wonderful..

MaryPage

« Reply #3917 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
Thank you so much, ROSEMARY.

I found that very interesting;  especially since I agree with her wholeheartedly.

Reginald Hill was an intellectual, and he wrote crime novels that DID use intelligent language and that wonderful dry British wit.  Such a pleasure to read.  Not at all the usual stuff written for the masses.

Steph

« Reply #3918 on: July 13, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
I simply cannot get into Reginald Hill. Not my sort of mysteries at all.

Babi

« Reply #3919 on: July 14, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
 Well, I definitely need to add Elly Griffith to my authors list. 
  Weatherwise, we are having the wettest, coolest July weather here that I can remember.  Lots
of thunderstorms, including the one that took out our computer and everything on it.  We are
now using a rebuilt Dell, very different layout,  and I'm having to learn my way around and
rebuild all that I lost.  But at least I have a computer back; I missed it terribly.