Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898005 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3920 on: July 14, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Hi Babi - welcome back!  What a disaster you have had.  I really miss having a computer if I'm away for a few days - then I think how strange that is, when only a few years ago no-one had one at home.  Now I am considered a dinosaur because I don't have an internet phone - most people are 'connected' all the time these days apparently.

Good luck with the new set-up - i can hardly even cope with the new automatic check out in the library  ;D

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #3921 on: July 14, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
I'm enjoying the story in my first Stuart Wood book, Under the Lake, one of his early ones. A man who had been a columnist for tha Atlanta Constitution is having a middle age crises, his marriage breaking up, bored w/ his carreer, so he takes a job ghost writing a biography. His BIL offers him his cottage on a lake in northern Ga. The town is controlled by a businessman and a sheriff. They were involved in securing all the properties that a dammed lake will cover and the author finds a mystery in those events. There's some physic spiritualism, which is interesting.

My only negative is that the young female reporter who comes to investigate some rumors about the sheriff and drugs is treated, by Wood, as pretty wifty and he doesn't acknowledge it in the story. He treats her behavior as "normal" for this supposedly smart young woman. She does things impulsively that any reasonably intelligent person would have thought thru very carefully. The protagonist has to straighten her out repeatedly. Since it was an early book of Wood's i'll give him another look to see if his apparent sexism is repeated or if he grows as he writes. :D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3922 on: July 14, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »
We liked the early Stuart Woods, but haven't read any of his since he started with "Stone Barrington", etc. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3923 on: July 14, 2012, 01:13:43 PM »
Here we have had no rain.  At the moment the sun is out. 90 deg again and it has been thundering for a hour.  Nothing coming down.  Think it a little to late now for the Corn farmers, Strawberries. tomato farmers. Some have already gone into fields and mulched the plants down.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3924 on: July 14, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
BABI: and we missed you terribly!

I was a little disappointed in the new Elly Griffiths. It had less of the atmosphere of the saltmarshes, which made the others so special. But I'm still hooked.

Reading a Lisa Jackson "Devious". I'm sure i've read her before, but not these detectives: two policemen in post-Katrina new Orleans. Nuns are being killed. Rather anti-Catholic church. full of sex gone bad. It's carrying me along, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Babi

« Reply #3925 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
 ROSEMARY, I will never understand the apparent urge to be 'connected' at all times.  I quite
enjoy a iegree of privacy and really don't want to be available 24/7.   Apparently, being 'with it'
in these days is knowing what's happening, everywhere, anywhere, and at once.

I hope the mulching will be able to protect the plants long enough, JEANNE.  I do wish there was
someway to 're-direct' weather so everyone gets a fair share.  On the northwest side of the
county we have had floods for days, and more rain is expected over the weekend.  Maybe we
should simply set out big open trucks, let them fill up with rain, and haul it where it's needed!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3926 on: July 15, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
Yes, to my dismay if my computer is out for a day, I go nuts. Amazing how suddenly you count on being on line and communicating with te world.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3927 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
I wonder when I see people walking in the street, in stores, etc with a communications device glued to their ear, or madly texting. While I like being with people, I've found periods (like when the kids were little) when I was constantly interrupted hard, and treasured my quiet times.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #3928 on: July 15, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »
I don't even give my mobile phone number out. Never have understood why people need to be talking on the phone as they are in the car. Store or walking around. I have heard them talking and it is about nothing at all. My next door is on hers as she is walking to the car to go to work before 8am and still on it when she comes home.
My daughters and granddaughter about the same way.

Steph

« Reply #3929 on: July 16, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
I dont understand it either, but it is more and more common to see people walking on the trails and chatting away even at 6:30am.. I love my quiet times and even do not put in my hearing aids early when the dogs and I walk. It is so very peaceful that way.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3930 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:37 AM »
I am just returning the Aurora Teagarden omnibus by Charlaine Harris to the library today.

I enjoyed it at first, but as I worked my way through the stories I started to get irritated.  Maybe it was because Aurora is so much younger than I am, but I do get a bit fed up with this endless string of hero(in)es who miraculously inherit a pot of money to free them from going to work - viz also Isobel Dalhousie and various others.  I'm sorry to say that with the Teagarden stories I also found the way she solved the mysteries increasingly incredible.  I do of course appreciate that in 99% of murder mysteries we need to suspend disbelief, but there are limits.  In the last one I read, Aurora had absolutely no idea who the killer is until she noticed something at a smart dinner.  There are no other clues (or none that I noticed anyway) leading to this person - it came right out of the blue, as if Harris had just decided it was time to end the story.

Anyone else agree?

I've just been sent two books to review for an online site.  Quite exciting as I've never done this before - someone who does it regularly was overwhelmed with work so asked for volunteers.

So I'd better get to it!

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #3931 on: July 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I agree, Rosemary!  I may have mentioned here reading Real Murders, an Aurora Teagarden mystery by Charlaine Harris.  My notes say, "too many non sequiturs and really dumb illogical assumptions."

Not the worst of these, but the most laughable to me was when she received a box of her favorite See's chocolate candy in the mail, and immediately noticed little holes on the bottom of each piece.  She then assumed that someone was trying to poison her!  Now if those had been poisoned and sent to me, I'd be dead.  Because I don't examine each piece before gobbling up those best-in-the-world candies.

Another time she finds a missing baseball on a neighbor's porch step and immediately knows they are the murderers!  Amazing.

No more Charlaine Harris for me.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #3932 on: July 17, 2012, 12:13:17 PM »
I just finished THE HUNTER, a Parker novel, by Richard Stark (Donald E. Westlake).  (155 pp, 1962)  Don't know if anyone here likes noir mysteries, but if you do, read this!  The series became a cult classic, a favorite with prisoners (not surprising, as Parker is a very clever professional thief). In this first Parker novel, Parker has been double crossed and left for dead. Still very much alive, he goes out to seek revenge and to get his  stolen money back.  Nothing can stop him.  Great noir writing!! Violence, but not gore. Just great.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #3933 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
 So Richard Stark is Donald Westlake?  That's good to know, as I've enjoyed several Donald
Westlake books.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3934 on: July 18, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
Charlaine Harris. I am notfond of Aurora, but love the other stuff that Charlaine writes. Lily Bard is one of her heroines and I love that small(5) series.. Her vampire stuff is a hoot as well. Sookie is great fun at the beginning . she is getting a bit sillier now though

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3935 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
I like everything but the vampire stuff, and that seems to be what our library carries.

Just finished a Deborah crombie: "no mark upon her". I really liked it for the background of rowers and rowing. I like books that tell me something about somethin I know knowthing about (How's that for an awkward sentance?)

It quoted a number of non-fiction accounts of rowers, but when I checked, Kindle didn't have any of them! Grrrr.

What I didn't like: it's the 14th book in a series, and half the book is catching up with what has happened to the characters from the other 13 books. Boring if you've only read a couple and have no idea who these people are. Writers really become bogged down when they try to carry too many continuing characters.

If you can't lick 'em, join 'em. I've ordered an early one. I know a number of you like her a lot. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3936 on: July 18, 2012, 03:28:17 PM »
JoanK, I've put request on the Crombie book.  My husband is an almost-daily rower, and he might enjoy that one.  Thanks.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3937 on: July 18, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
mary: let me know how he likes it -- if he can wade through all the background characters. (Anopther grumble -- I think the solution is cheating!)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3938 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
LOL, Joan - he frequently skips over parts he doesn't like.   I'll let you know what he thinks.

Steph

« Reply #3939 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
Yes long time series do a lot of catching up. Wish they wouldnt.

MaryPage

« Reply #3940 on: July 19, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »
I've been busy catching up with all of the Margaret Maron's I've missed, even to the point of buying some used paperbacks and hardbacks on line.  It is like eating a bunch of lollipops!

Steph

« Reply #3941 on: July 20, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
Yes, Judge Knot has an interesting family and love life. I loved all of the books..

rosemarykaye

« Reply #3942 on: July 22, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »
Just finished a book I got free on Kindle - "The Ambassador's Wife" by Jake Needham.  It's set in Singapore and Bangkok (where the author lives, although he is American), and I enjoyed the settings, especially as I know very little about this part of the world.  I saw on Amazon that not everyone was impressed with the plot, but I thought it was good - I really wanted to know what happened, and I felt that the detective, Sam Tay, was well drawn and interesting.  Needham is apparently working on a sequel because many people wanted to see more of Tay.  Good writing, IMO.

Rosemary

MaryPage

« Reply #3943 on: July 22, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
When I got up this morning, I was musing upon the latest Deborah Knott book I am reading and I suddenly had the thought that I'll bet Margaret Maron chose the surname Knott for her so that she could be

Judge Knott, that ye be not judged!

Babi

« Reply #3944 on: July 22, 2012, 08:50:15 AM »
  :D

Steph

« Reply #3945 on: July 22, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
Ah Mary Page.. only you would think of that. I do love her though.I am working with Gabriel Allon once again. The last one of the series, I think. Although he may havea new one out in hardcover.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3946 on: July 22, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
MaryPage, you are so smart to pick up on that.  Bravo!  Maron should be coming out with another sometime soon, I hope.  I think I've read all of hers, even the one when she's with someone's relative Sigrid (who also has her own series.)

Rosemary, The Ambassador's Wife, no longer free, but reasonable.  Will put Jake Needham on my list.  The Amazon critics are saying good things about him.

Now I've got to get out of here and go swim.  You all put up such interesting posts, keep sending me to Amazon to read more reviews.  The rowing book sounds good, but I'm not sure I want to jump into #14.

MaryPage

« Reply #3947 on: July 22, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »
I emailed Margaret Maron and she emailed me back almost immediately!  Here is what she had to say:

"I DID name her that originally.  I intended to use titles that punned off the name.  Happily, I realized how silly that would be.  Unhappily, I didn't make that realization till after the name was in print (sigh), but I HAVE managed to have fun with her name once in a while.  In KILLER MARKET, for instance, an older woman introduces herself and Deborah responds, "Judge Knott."  The woman is offended and coldly asks "Why do you think I would?"

Thanks for your note,
Margaret Maron"

On Jul 22, 2012, at 8:44 AM, MaryPage M. Drake wrote:

This morning I was thinking about the one I am reading now and suddenly I wondered if you named her Knott so that she would be
Judge Knott, that ye be not judged

mabel1015j

« Reply #3948 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:42 AM »
Hooray for you MaryPage!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3949 on: July 22, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
Fantastic Fiction has its quirks.  Yesterday, while looking for something else, I noticed they had Dante's Divine Comedy.  I looked at it to see what they said: there was a nice accurate summary, but the category was listed as Western!!  They're on the ball, though.  I wrote the webmaster asking how come, and it's already been changed.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3950 on: July 22, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Double hooray for Mary Page. Amazing that she answered you right away!

And hooray for PatH! I'll have to look for more booboos on FF.

Babi

« Reply #3951 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
 Love it, MARYPAGE!  :D

Steph

« Reply #3952 on: July 23, 2012, 08:54:43 AM »
How neat. An author who reads her emails..Some do , some dont..

Frybabe

« Reply #3953 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »
My mystery newsletter from the library this month includes a new book, Don't ever get old by Daniel Friedman. The main character is 87 years old. I am not sure the book is my cup of tea, but the age caught my eye. Has anyone read it? Here is a little bit about the author and the book.
http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_shelf_life/2012/06/daniel-friedman-to-sign-dont-ever-get-old.html

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3954 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
Steph, are you reading Silva's Fallen Angel?

He was on Chuck Todd's MSNBC show just 5 minutes ago.  He has lived in various spots in the Middle East at different times.  Is very concerned about the Muslim Brotherhood so much in command -- the president, who wants to seat a Muslim Brotherhood parliement. Also a big concern of his that Egypt is so poor.  No oil.  He does not think things bode well.

But he says Egypt is a real country. It's been around, it has history.  Syria, he says, was really put in place by European powers.  He thinks it possible that Syria could cease to exist as a country, absorbed by others countries.

I liked the one Silva I read, will have to start reading some more.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3955 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
I ordered a sample of "Don't Ever grow Old" for my Kindle. The author seems awfully young to be writing for us seniors. I'll see what kind of job he makes of it.

Babi

« Reply #3956 on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:51 AM »
 I had assumed, on reading the post, that the author would be old himself.  It does raise an
eyebrow to learn he is not.  What one can observe is usually not the whole truth, nor entirely
correct, no?

Steph

« Reply #3957 on: July 25, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
No Fallen Angel is the newest Silva in hard cover. He is married to Jamie Gangel, who is a tv reporter.. They live most of the time in Washington. I love his books and have read all of them except this last one.. Gabriel is an interesting character and the team is fascinating. I did remember from something I read that Syria,and the small countries are not real countries at al, but come from WWi and WWII.. partitions.. Egypt is real, but when I was there is a most peculiar place. The poverty is great.. he divisions b etween rich and all else is great.. No women on the streets in Cairo, whic made me nervous. When we ate out there, the restaurants were mostly male.. Not a happy place for me, although the temples, tombs, and museums are glorious.

Babi

« Reply #3958 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
 How long ago was that, STEPH?  I had the impression that women were much more public and
active now, and that many have major roles in business and the professions. Anybody more
knowledgeable in the current cultural roles?  All I have are vague bits and pieces.  :-[

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3959 on: July 25, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
Egypt was a country thousands of years before anyone even thought of a united country on this side of the globe.

I don't know enough to know what to think of Syria being not a real country. Israel was created by European countries too, but Israelis feel very strongly that it is a real country. What does DeSilva mean -- that peoples were thrown together with no common interest or heritage?