Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898027 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #3960 on: July 26, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

In Israel's case, it was more a matter of re-instated than created. Israel
had existed in that same spot for centuries.  
  Post-war shuffling of borders is fairly common. People with grievances
wanted to be separated, the victors wanted their prizes for victory, and
the losers were expected to atone for their sins.  Trouble always arises
when the final deal doesn't include a great deal of common sense and
forethought.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3961 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
Silva is right. If you look at maps, they drew the lines of countries according to whoever was the most influential..Did not consider tribal lines or religious ones. A lot of the countries have never been able to be stable.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

MaryPage

« Reply #3962 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
There are reams of books out there that tell all about how the Allies got together after WORLD WAR ONE and carved up the Middle East.  We did a lot of the same after WORLD WAR TWO, but one outstanding example was Iraq after World War I.  They put together KURD country.  The Kurds ARE NOT ARABS and have a language of their own.  They included a huge section of SUNNI Arabs and an even larger section of SHITE Arabs.  They hate each other with a blood killing hatred.  They honestly think the other should not exist.  There was much killing between these factions until Saddam united the country under his ghastly rule.  Saddam was SUNNI, and treated the Shites dreadfully, killing off tens of thousands.  This is all in the books.

MaryPage

« Reply #3963 on: July 26, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
One of the most fascinating, too bizarre to be true but totally factual stories is that of Gertrude Bell.  Lots of books out about her.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/mar/12/iraq.jamesbuchan

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3964 on: July 26, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
That's an extraordinary story! And I had never heard of her.

Frybabe

« Reply #3965 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
Good heavens, my post disappeared.

I have two books, still on my TBR pile: The Kingmaker's: The Invention of the Modern Middle East and Georgiana Howell's biography of Gertrude Bell.

I know very little about the aftermath and diplomatic shenanigans after WWI, except that T.E. Lawrence was opposed to the Allies post war handling of the Middle East. Having been influenced by Lawrence, Bell had similar leanings. It was Lawrence who introduced Bell to then Prince Faisal who subsequently often consulted with her, at least for a while. Many people point back to that period as a cause many of today's problems in that area.

MaryPage

« Reply #3966 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
Well of course the bottom line is, if you are going to put a bunch of different tribes (think clans if it works better for you), religions, languages and so forth together in a set of boundaries and say to them:  You are now a country, hey, they are not likely to be successful at being a country.  Just shows that all the brilliance in the world cannot find the right solutions for sets of peoples in situations where the culture is unknown and totally foreign to the inventors of the new countries.  And those who think they CAN do this, from their outsiders point of view, are ARROGANT, to say the least.

So we went into Iraq with a plan only to conquer the small country and topple Saddam.  We did.  In a hurry.  Then, still with no plan, Bush allowed a guy named Paul something to set up the new government.  He decided to ban all members of the Baathist Party.  Sort of like banning all Nazis or all Communists.  Or, for that matter, all Tories, Labor Party members, Democrats, or Republicans.  Doesn't matter;  the thing is, you HAD to be a member of that party to hold a job in Saddam's Iraq.  So when that Paul fired them all, there was no one to run the army, the police, the fire department, the library, the museum, the whole cotton picking government!  And no one to teach the Shites who DID want the jobs (well, the Sunnis were not very happy about not getting paychecks any longer and wanted their jobs back, but could not get them and a huge number left the country outright) even in the matter of picking up the trash!

It all went downhill from there and factional war broke out big time.  Again, Arrogance of thinking you know all the answers concerning a totally different culture.  We, and any other nation, should always utilize experts in the part of the world we are trying to deal with.  Just plain old common sense.

Babi

« Reply #3967 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
 Fascinating, MARYPAGE.  You've filled in a lot of blank spaces for me.  I was pleased, too, to
learn that a British woman of that era was so influential and knowledgeable.  (Imagine teaching
oneself Persian or Hebrew! Awesome, to quote the young folks.)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #3968 on: July 27, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »
There have been over the course of history many english women who went to Africa and the muslim countries and ended up being quite a power. When the Arabs own women lived in purdah, the men seem to have taken advice from another type of women.. Odd. but true.

Babi

« Reply #3969 on: July 28, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »
 I'm reading another Donna Andrews book, "Some Like It Hawk".   As usual, slightly preposterous
but entertaining.

Steph

« Reply #3970 on: July 28, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
I like Donna Andrews.She is funny and still has a nice twist to her mysteries. Meg should however take a stronger stand with her relatives..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3971 on: July 28, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
I didn't know she had a new one out! I'm on it like a hawk! (groan).

I still like "Crouching buzzard, Leaping Loon" the best of all of hers (although I kept waiting for the loon to show up. It turned out to be her looney brother. But the buzzard was there in all his throwing-up glory. I wanted him to throw up on the murderer, but he never did).

mabel1015j

« Reply #3972 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
ATTENTION  ;) i just discovered that onOprah's OWN network there is a new show called "Hardcover Mysteries". They are talking to mystery writers about crimes that inspired their books. RIGHT NOW until 8:00EST they are talking to Linda Fairstein, starting at 8:00 they will talk to David Baldacci.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3973 on: July 28, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
We're watching the rowing in the Olympics, but I'll watch for that Hardcover Mysteries on OWN.  I just checked, and it's not listed in our paper's TV section, but......
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #3974 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
Oh good, Jean, another chance to watch the ones I missed. These were also shown on the ID channel and are on the HLN (?) channel, but I missed some. On HLN, they are known as Murder by the Book. Very interesting to see what murders the writers follow and which inspire their writing.

Steph

« Reply #3975 on: July 29, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »
Wll make a note, but just now the Olympics is holding me prisoner. For the very first time, I watched the opening all the way through and of course was enchanged.. Corgi and the Queen and the fake James Bond.. Where of where wa Sean.. Sigh.. But I still loved the bit.

Babi

« Reply #3976 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
A stronger stand, STEPH?  Meg has scads of them working on her various projects, all
'volunteers'!  She'd never manage without them.  ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3977 on: July 29, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
I knew  you'd love that piece, Steph.  For me, too, Connery is the only Bond.

Jean, I did some more checking, and the Hardcover Mysteries is on OWN here.  It was in the daily paper.  But, like Steph, it's definitely the Olympics around here for a while.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #3978 on: July 29, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »
I'd never heard of Donna Andrews.  Put her Some Like it Hawk on my TBR list.  

Speaking of birds (Andrews seems to have them in her book titles), reminded me of the 1970's Robert Altman film, BREWSTER MCCLOUD, one of my all-time favorite movies, where the girl who lectures about birds becomes more and more like a bird as the movie goes on. Bizarre, dark humor, with Bud Cort (Harold & Maude--another favorite), Sally Kellerman (Hot Lips in Mash), and Shelley Duvall (Popeye and Three Women-- another favorite).

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3979 on: July 29, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
Never heard of Brewster McCloud. But I have noticed that people who watch birds a lot do indeed become more and more like them.

I'm a slave to the Olympics too. Thery're very bad for sports junkie like me!

salan

« Reply #3980 on: July 29, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Hardcover mysteries is on OWN network in my area on Aug. 8.  It's on all day starting at 10 am, I believe.  I found it on my tv's "smart search" and dvr'd the episodes.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #3981 on: July 30, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »
 I had no idea so many of our ladies were 'sports junkies'.  I generally find myself disinterested
in sports, but I do enjoy those that are beautiful to watch.  Like figure skating, or gymnastics.
So graceful.

Steph

« Reply #3982 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
I only like the olympics on tv, not regular sports. Olympic athletes interest me since they give up whole portions of their lives for them. When we were racing sailboats, I met a lot of sailers who were trying out. They live on other peoples generosity in the smaller sports. I put up more than one in my spare rooms for years.. while they trained.

Frybabe

« Reply #3983 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »
I am in shock! I just discovered that Nemesis is the last of the Didius Falco series. Well, I should have suspected an end was to come soon. Alexandria was not up to par, IMO, and Lindsey Davis had slowed down her Falco output while writing other books. I also discovered that BBC did radio plays of the first five books, the last broadcast in 2009.

Babi

« Reply #3984 on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
 Wouldn't it be nice if one of the channels here would pick up that Falco series from BBC.  It
could be really good.  Maybe I could find a way to drop a hint to PBS.  ;)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3985 on: July 30, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
I'm a terrible sports junkie, for my sins. But I love the parade of nations in the Olympics: all these athletes, some of them coming from terrible conditions, but somehow made it, and so proud and happy to be representing their country. And all standing together while the torch is lit. It always makes me tear up.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3986 on: July 30, 2012, 02:50:29 PM »
The problem with the Olympics is it gives me new sports to become addicted to. I became a curling addict from the Winter Olympics. This summer, i am looking at the rowers in a new way, after reading the Deborah Crombie mystery. They always look so robot-like, but now, I know more about what they are feeling.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3987 on: July 30, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
The dressage was beautiful. I think it's stupid for the Dems - and i am generally one of those - to harp on Mrs Romney's having a horse in the olympics. I see nothing negative about it. Yes, you have to have some money to keep such a horse, but most people who run for President have some money.

I thought the opening ceremony was unimpressive until they got to the finale - the torch lighting and the fireworks thruout the city were wonderful.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #3988 on: July 30, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
JoanK, on your recommendation, John read the Crombie book with the rowing stuff in it.  He thought that stuff was all accurate, and liked the book otherwise, too.  Thanks. Needless to say, we watch all the rowing we can.   ::)

Winchesterlady

« Reply #3989 on: July 30, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
Hi everyone...I've just started "Broken Harbor" by Tana French.  Have any of you read her books?  I really enjoy them.
~ Carol ~

Steph

« Reply #3990 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
Ah,,, hnm, having horse is one thing. Having one of the worlds most expensive horse is possibly different.. She is only a third partner in it.. but I think is the money partner.
I love different sports. Watched White water kayaking last night. I love to kayak, but flat water please...It was fun watching though.
It was fun in the eventing.. All the young royals came out to supports their cousinZara..

Babi

« Reply #3991 on: July 31, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
The Dems are competing against a popular president and first lady, so yes, they are
doing a number of dumb things. (My opinion,of course. )  But really, some of the things
they choose to challenge do make them look desperate, indeed.

Hi, WINCHESTER LADY, and welcome! Always glad to meet another book lover.  I've heard
the name Tana French before, but I haven't read anything of hers.  Some of the other posters
probably have, though.

mabel1015j

« Reply #3992 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
I just finished two mysteries, one of Judge Knott from Margaret Maron, Christmas Mourning, and one of Jane Jeffrys from Jill Churchill, Accidental Florist. I think Maron must be told by fans that they enjoy reading about the Knott family life because there was a lot more of that than mystery story. She gave a lot of detail about Christmas preparations, etc. Churchill's book also gave very descriptive details about Jane and Shelley and Mel's day-to-day activities and Jane's writing career. She did a cute thing in a scene where she was book shopping and commented that she looked at a new book of M. Maron's "and Jill Churchill's new book." lol

This was the story of her finally agreeing to marry Mel and both her ex-MIL and future MIL wanted to control the wedding details.

Both books were entertaining, but barely mysterious. But with the hot weather, they were just what i needed to just relax.

Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3993 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
WINCH (may I call you that?) My bad! I'd never heard of Tana french, and she's won nearly all the awards possible in mysteries. Thank you! And WELCOME!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/tana-french/

Winchesterlady

« Reply #3994 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Joan -- You are welcome.  Why don't you call me Carol?  This is the third book I've read by Tana French and I'm enjoying it. To date, her novels have all been about various members of the Murder Squad in Dublin.  Each novel centers on a character who played a role in a previous book.  It's an interesting way to write a series.
~ Carol ~

Babi

« Reply #3995 on: August 01, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
 That does seem a good way to give the author more leeway in a series.  I remember a sci-fi
series that tended to feature different members of a group, though the main hero remained the
same.  I liked the books, but can't remember just now what the series was called.
  Sad. I can recall when I could remember everything that came across my desk, and
knew exactly where to find it.  :'(   On the other hand, perversely, there are memories I would
love to forget, and can't.  ;)  Violins, anyone?

Steph

« Reply #3996 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
Tana French.. Dont think I have read anything of hers, but will put her on the long long list of people to look for. I found a Susan Conant and needed something light. I do like her and having lived close to Cambridge knows she does a wonderful job on the town and how things work there. The dog descriptions are excellent.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #3997 on: August 01, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Babi, I loved what you said about memory.  Isn't that the truth!  My violins have certainly been playing the last couple years.

Steph, I hope you would like Tana French's books but they by no means would be considered "light".  I won't keep on about them except to give you one link from NPR Books which really explains the plotting...

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/26/156873952/haunting-memories-elaborate-plotting-in-harbor
~ Carol ~

Babi

« Reply #3998 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:21 AM »
  I'll be going to my voluneer stint at the library tomorrow morning.  I'll definitely look up Tana
French and see what we have of hers. I'm hoping to find the first book in the series; I like to
start at the beginning whenever possible.

Steph

« Reply #3999 on: August 02, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »
I read all sorts of books, not just light.. Just now I thought I would tryWallender. I got the very first book and am straggering with me. My dear what a depressed sort of man.. Hmm.. Years ago there was a popular writing team that did alot of mysteries about that area.. Per Wahloo??? or something.. I also strted State of Wonder. I have read all of her books and love th way she surprises me.