Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 898142 times)

MaryPage

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #4280 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

I loved all of Mary Renault's books about ancient times.

marjifay

« Reply #4281 on: September 30, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Me, too, MaryPage.  I loved her books.

Re mythology, have you read any of Joseph Campbell's books on comparative mythology.  (nonfiction), i.e. The Hero With a Thousand Faces, The Masks of God, etc.?

Marge
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #4282 on: October 01, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
Reading a short funny cozy by Selma Shapiro.. Desiree is a funny p.i. involved in a literary mystery this time.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4283 on: October 01, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
Steph: I can't find that name in Fantastic Fiction. Is this an e-book?

Steph

« Reply #4284 on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »
Hm, senior moment. Author...Selma Eichler and heroine Deserie Shapiro. Murder can Crash Your Party is the book of the moment, although she has written several. It is a mysteryinside of a mystery.. but a cozy..

MaryPage

« Reply #4285 on: October 02, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
Yes, I have read everything Joseph Campbell ever wrote.  I used to own his books, but passed them and my videos (I believe you can buy these in DVD form now) of his television interviews/lectures on to my Ph.D. granddaughter who teaches History.  PBS still runs one of his shows occasionally.  He has been dead for a long time now, but I was an avid fan of his philosophy.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4286 on: October 02, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
I mix up the detective and author all the time. It's a lot easier to remember the detectives name: you see it more often.I like the Eichler books, too.

I've been meaning to read Campbell. Although I'm not sure I "get" Jung and his archtypes. Somehow I can't think that way. Saw Wagner's Siegfried Sunday, and aparrt from the wonderful music and staging, all I could think of Siegfried was "what a punk!)

mabel1015j

« Reply #4287 on: October 02, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
Oh good, Steph, glad you cleared that up, my library does have it and i need a humorous book right now! Thanks for the suggestion.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #4288 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:17 PM »
I see there is an Alex Cross movie coming out in mid-October. Tyler Perry is playing Alex. Looks like is going to be a serial killer thing. Not my cup of tea.

Steph

« Reply #4289 on: October 03, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »
Originally I liked Alex CRoss, but James Patterson turned himself into some sort of writing factory and Cross into some sort of superman, so I quit.. suspect I wont go to see a movie either.

marjifay

« Reply #4290 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
I don't think I'd watch an Alex Cross movie unless it got very good reviews.  The last Alex Cross novel I read was Kill Alex Cross.  It was so bad I returned it to the library after a couple of chapters.

The best Alex Cross novel I read, ALEX CROSS'S TRIAL, was not really about Alex Cross, the detective.  It was about Cross's great uncle who lived in the south in the early 1900s.  Very suspenseful, realistic atmosphere and characters.  Gives you a good idea of what it must have been like to live there at that time when blacks were still being lynched.  That book would make a good movie.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4291 on: October 03, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
Finished the latest (I think) Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency: The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection. The plots are getting slighter, but still always good to read.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4292 on: October 03, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
For my f2f Mystery BookClub, I am reading "The Snowman" by Jo Nesbo.  I had heard good things about this author, but it was nearly ruined for me when the first five pages were a sex scene.  Then a couple chapters later, we have the discovery of a dismembered corpse.  The main characters are interesting, the chapters alternate between "then and now" - - little confusing to me, had to go back and check chap. headings for dates (where applicable).  Don't know yet if I will be able to finish this one.  I usually try real hard to read the whole book for Club, but yuk!  As Steph mentioned, re James Patterson, after the first few Alex Cross books, he went off the deep end with his long list of "co-authors" and I quit reading him altogether after about the 2nd "co-written" book.  Two sentence paragraphs; 2 or 3 paragraph chapters...blah!  I don't consider this "good writing" by any s-t-r-e-t-c-h of the imagination. ???  :-\
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4293 on: October 03, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Yuck to the Snowman.

MaryPage

« Reply #4294 on: October 03, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
I do not care to have any sex whatsoever in my mystery stories unless it is in some way an important part of the story itself.  It seems to me these younger generations have to have sex in every type of book;  either that or the publishers ask the authors to put it in because it sells.

Steph

« Reply #4295 on: October 04, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
I decided it was time to find out what the shouting is about. I am listening to The Girl with the Dragon Tatool..it almost lost me with the lizbeth Salmander subplot of sex, but I got past it, because the central mystery intrigues me. But oh me, listening is not the best answer.. I keep getting the names mixed up.Too many characters to sort through.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #4296 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »
I suspect that may be true,  and I don't mind sex when it's part of the story line and a natural progression.  The things I don't read are horror/ gore, torture to people or animals, mentally ill characters and their behaviors/vampires/werewolves/aliens, etc.  It seems, to me, I see enough of those things on the news.   ::)

The beauty of such a rich field of books from which to choose that each of us can find authors who fit our wants.

jane

Babi

« Reply #4297 on: October 04, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
 While I would agree with you on most of that, JANE, I think I would except aliens.  After all, how can one explore the
universes of space without running into aliens?   They don't have to be monstrous; some could be very nice to know.  ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

salan

« Reply #4298 on: October 05, 2012, 06:02:30 AM »
Steph, I thought The Girl with a Dragon Tatoo was an excellent book.  However, it was a little too graphic (sex & gore) for my taste.  Even though the book was good; I don't care to read the other two....
Sally

Steph

« Reply #4299 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
I agree Sally, I am still listening because I truly want to know what the heck happened, but think I will skip the other two and know I would not watch a movie.. Sigh

MaryPage

« Reply #4300 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
I have to testify that I adored reading all 3 books and then watching all 3 Swedish movies with subtitles and then watching the one American movie.  I think Larsson was an especially gifted writer in that he could put you right THERE in the moment.  He also unveils, albeit slowly, how and why Lisbeth got to be who and what she is.  I love the characters and the plots.  Oh, and the final outcomes.  The bad guys get punished and the good gal wins, against every obstacle put in place to stop her.  YOU GO GAL!  I kept shouting to myself.
Lisbeth made up for all disappointments in my life which were entirely due to having been born female.  I believe that is the source of my intense appreciation.

MaryPage

« Reply #4301 on: October 05, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »
Many critics have said, in many countries all over this world (these books having been translated into 35 languages last I read) that Lisbeth Salander is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, heroines ever written in Fiction.  I tend to agree, as she overcame obstacles and horrors I could never have endured, let alone survived.  And, to my psyche, she made being a woman NOT a handicap.

I was one of those little girls born into a man's world nearly 84 years ago who was meant to be a boy and always lamented for not being one.  When my (half) brother was born to my stepmother (my mother having been long despised for not delivering a boy) 15 years later, my father went ape.  "The Boy!  The Boy!  The Boy!" was all the rest of us heard.  Daddy rarely called him by his name thereafter, but called him "Son."  When Daddy died, some 34 years later, he left me a teensy sum and left his entire estate to his "Beloved Son."  Everyone in the family, including my dear step mother and, of course myself, were astonished at this final evidence of his obsession.  So you see, I am an ardent feminist and when a Lisbeth Salander comes along, well, I go ape!

My father was quite typical of men of his time, though I have to attest to having known many who treasured their daughters.  Hmm.  To be treasured must be nice!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4302 on: October 05, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
"To be treasured must be nice!" Yes, it is. There were only us girls in my family, but I'd like to think, if dad had had a boy he would have still treasured me. If not, it would have broken my heart.

But I still met plenty of non-treasuring through being a girl. My reaction was (still is) to avoid "girly" things like the plague. I really enjoy the women today who can enjoy being a women and still excel in a "man's" field.

Cathy Reichs who writes the mysteries that the TV series "Bones" is based on seems to be such a woman. Her picture looks like a movie star, but she's a pioneer in the field of forensic anthropology, AND a successful mystery writer. You go, girl! Just got a new book of hers from the library.

Steph

« Reply #4303 on: October 06, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Mary Page,, the amazing thing to me is that my Mother was the boy obsessed member of the family. My Dad didnt seem to care. I was much closer to him  mostly I think because we were similar in temperment. My Mother just flat out ignored both me and my cousin who lived with us when my brother was born.. He was her whole reason for living until the day she died. I have accepted it as a fact and gone on..

Babi

« Reply #4304 on: October 06, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »
  I didn't know that bit about Cathy Reichs being a 'pioneer' in forensic anthropology,
JOAN. I'll want to Google more info about that. I hate to say it, but I've loved
the TV series; only mildly liked the books.  'Bones' can be frightfully obtuse on
occasion, tho'.  Literally no sense of humor, and only over time learning any consideration
for the feelings of others. But Lord, what a tremendous intellect!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4305 on: October 06, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
" I hate to say it, but I've loved
the TV series; only mildly liked the books. "

I agree -- I feel the same way.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #4306 on: October 06, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
I grew up the same way.  My mother and grandmother were obsessed with my elder brother.  I was my fathers princess. Worked fine for me. Only thing was he passed away at age 42 and I was only 18. took me a long time to get over that.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4307 on: October 06, 2012, 09:43:21 PM »
Tomereader, I haven't read Nesbro's Snowman, but a couple of years ago my daughter gave me his Nemisis.  It was okay,but I really don't enjoy these series' with alcoholic detectives who can't get along with their colleagues and bosses.

Sally, I'm with you -- had no desire to read more Stieg Larsson after the Dragon Tatoo, but did see both the Tatoo and Fire films.  Actually, what really interested me more, was Larsson himself, his background, common-law situation, his death.  After the Larsson hoopla died down, I guess I just lost interest.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4308 on: October 06, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
I was in the hospital a week (minor repairs) and have been home for a week, two daughters here, at different times, taking care of their mother, who is just fine now.

But I'm heading off to bed, before 9 pm, and have Defending Jacob from the library and Louise's War (Shaber) on my Kindle.  Hope the sandman doesn't come too soon.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4309 on: October 07, 2012, 05:10:20 AM »
Pedln, I hope your "repairs" were still in warranty   ::)   and that everything is fixed fine.  Isn't is nice to have the babies come home to take care of mom?  Hugs!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #4310 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »
  I reached a point in my current Daniel Silva book that seemed to me a natural place to end.  I was
surprised to see the end was not yet in sight.  Now, I'm reluctant to continue.  I know, it doesn't make
sense. Probably just my mood.  :-\

Steph

« Reply #4311 on: October 07, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
Silva sometimes throws in a ringer.. so that might be what is happening.
I love Reichs inthe books and dont watch Bones at all onTV.. Just too cutesy in spots for me.. But the books are good..Funny how people look at things so differently. I love the small series of Fremont Jones, found another book by the same author about Clara Barton ( fiction) and am reluctant to keep reading. There s a way too creepy person in it..
Pedlin.. minor repairs?. hmm, if you were a car that would make sense.. Hopefully all is well and you can keep on your busy active life.

marjifay

« Reply #4312 on: October 07, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
Glad you are all well, Pedln.

I read DEFENDING JACOB a couple months ago.  I almost dropped it because the first part was so irritating with all the psycobabble.  But I was glad I kept reading, as when the trial starts it really gets interesting.  Turned out to be worth reading after all.

Louise's War sounds interesting.  I'll look for it.  Have not read anything by Sarah Shaber.
I like that time period.  Have been watching some of Foyle's War from Netflix.

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4313 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
sTEPH: what is the name/author of the Clara barton mystery. It could be interesting (if I can get by the creepy person)?

Steph

« Reply #4314 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
Ave Dianne Day... book is Cut to the Heart. Interesting, but somewhat gruesome in parts. Interesting about the gullah and the islands in South Carolina.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4315 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
I understand there is some present-day hoopla about the Gullah in So. Car.  Something about property taxes to be raised to get them out so Devil-opers (intentional spelling) can come in. I may have seen the article in the NY Times. ??
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Babi

« Reply #4316 on: October 09, 2012, 08:24:23 AM »
  'Developers'  certainly have earned that reputation, haven't they?  Grab what they want and to hell with everybody and
everything in their way.  They may argue that they pay a 'fair' price for the properties,  but who wants to be kicked out
of a home they want to stay in,  or see a beautiful or historic site leveled to increase someone's profits?

Steph

« Reply #4317 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
Gullah live on the small islands. I am not quite sure how a devloper could possibly settle some of them. This is the floating island area and the land does come and go.. but I would suppose very very rich people would love it.. They are also now much more oriented to the rest of the world..Tv has a lot to answer for.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4318 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
That's the third mystery I've heard of in the last month that features a minority little known people. I'm glad: it's very interesting. I wonder how many of these small groups there are, and how many are connected.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4319 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53:35 PM »
Here's the Gullah article.

Gullahs and taxes

Was it Mary Alice Monroe's Sweetgrass that was about the Gullahs and their basketmaking?