Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 878949 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5280 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:17 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Lovesey is all over with what he writes, but I like him and have read quite a few of his. Never heard of that one however.
I came from Delaware, but remember being told that the Delaware tribe was actually in Pennsylvania. Sensible Indians came to the peninsula to harvest oysters, etc, but went back to te mainland to live.. less mosquitos..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5281 on: June 19, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
Ginny . Not taught about WW2 Maybe that is why some US students were asking ."
" Who were we at war with then" 
Floored me when I heard that.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5282 on: June 19, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »
In high school, 30+ years ago, one of our daughters history teachers taught US history 'backwards', starting  with Vietnam.  He said otherwise they'd never get to that era, and they'd already had stuff about the Civil War and the Revolution.  Definitely different.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #5283 on: June 20, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
MaryZ, I love that way of history. Seems to me, we did the revolutionery war over and over.. but I do know when I started in genealogy, I ran into a lot of Indian information from the east coast, that I never had even heard of before. King Philips war for example.. Learned a lot of American history from researching my family.
Cara Black. The further I get into Marais, the harder it gets to read. Whew.. This is one intense lady.

MaryPage

« Reply #5284 on: June 20, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »
If each of us was able to trace all of our lines back, and by "line" I mean the direct descent of each and every one of our ancestors, sooner or later we would all find ourselves a bit of everything.  That is my sincere conviction because the math itself proves it.
In my lines, through my mother's great grandmother, I have Mohawk blood.  A French Canadian ancestor, and my mother referred to him as a Canute, but I understand this term is not politically correct these days, named Collier married a Mohawk squaw and they settled in the Au Sable Forks Valley in northern New York near the Canadian border.  My mother's mother was of English stock and my mother's father was almost pure Irish.  These peoples had settled the Au Sable, Jay, Mohawk and Champlain valleys prior to the Revolution, and mother was a member of the DAR from one of these.  Those valleys were Mohawk territory.  The Mohawks were one of (some say) 5 or (some say) 6 tribes of the Iroquois nation;  the only Native Americans with a written language.
I can prove my ancestry, so supposedly I could get on the tribal rolls;  I do not actually know what it takes.  The Mohawk tribe is officially in Canada these days.  I have no desire to prove anything to anyone, except my children, who will inherit the family papers.  And I feel my blood ties are way too watered down now for me to claim to "be" a Native American.  But I do not hesitate to say proudly that I trace back to peoples who were here long before this continent was "discovered."  Sort of pleasures me.  My ancestor's name, for she was given one acceptable in her husband's community, was Phoebe Collier.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5285 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
MaryPage, I agree that we all have bits of everybody in our heritage.  One comment, though.  The Cherokees from our area (the ones forced on the infamous Trail of Tears) also had a written language.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5286 on: June 20, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
"sooner or later we would all find ourselves a bit of everything."

Clearly true, if we're all descended from Adam and Eve. I like knowing who my ancesters were so I can find out a little of how they lived, what there lives were like. But it irritates me when people play the "my ancesters are better than yours" game. Human nature being what it is, I figure we all have about the same mix of really fine folk and real stinkers. And (as PatH points out), we all have the same mix of our ancestors not being who we think they are.

Steph

« Reply #5287 on: June 21, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
Membership in many tribes depends on how diluted your blood is from the original Indian. Has to do with the tribal payments to tribe members.
I loved doing my genealogical background. A little bit of everything, but a good deal of Dutch and German on my paternal line.. They spoke Dutch and German at home until the mid 1800's.. Upstate New York..
Finished Death in the Marais.. Whew.. hard to finish.. Powerful, but I will put off her next one for a while.She is a bit too gory for me.

Tomereader1

« Reply #5288 on: June 21, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
A gentleman I used to work for always stated, proudly, that one of his ancestors was a horse thief!  I thought to myself, if that's the best brag he can come up with, well.... history being what it was, I would imagine we all had a horse thief in there somewhere, LOL!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5289 on: June 21, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
" I would imagine we all had a horse thief in there somewhere, LOL!". Got that right!

I'm reading "Wobble to Death" by Lovesey, and so far, I love it. It's about a walking contest: who can walk the furthest in six days. Apparently these were really held in England in the 1880s: the record was 600+ miles. Can you imagine?

Since it's called "wobbling", I imagine they use the funny-looking gait that race walkers in the Olympics now use. It's a real sport, but they look so funny, it's difficult to take them seriously.

Steph

« Reply #5290 on: June 22, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »
Race walking is truly hard to do, but if you want to drop weight, wow,, it will do it.
Lovesey is a funny funny man.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5291 on: June 22, 2013, 04:19:28 PM »
I like the two books I read: one funny, one serious. He's good with men: he writes about women as though they're alien creatures from a strange planet that he's read about, but never known.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5292 on: June 22, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
600 miles in Britain.  That takes in England.Scotland and wales. That is doing something in 6 days.
Will say that "rambling" as we called it is still a big thing.  More clubs than ever.
Most all land is open to the public .one can pass over making shortcut easy.  Always surprised me in the USA seeing all the fences and KEEP OUT SIGNS.

Steph

« Reply #5293 on: June 23, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
I know that MDH and I always talked of going on a long hike in the countryside in Britain. There are several touring companies, that plan it. take your luggage from place to place and give you maps, etc.Never got the time though.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5294 on: June 23, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
Reading the new Deborah Crombie "The Sound of broken Glass." I was excited when I saw it in the library: her last one was so good. This one isn't.

She has the problem of a lot of series writers: she wants the characters from her earlier books to be in this one too (as do her readers) but they get to be too many. So far, I've counted 12 from earlier books, that she has to construct little subplots for, or at least tell you how they are doing, and the main plot is getting lost in the shuffle. (Or maybe, this is just the lazy way of making a book out of a short story).

In any case, don't read it if you haven't read all her others. Crombie fans (like me) will want to read it to see how so-and-so is doing.

Steph

« Reply #5295 on: June 25, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
Janet Evanovich does that as well and although some of her character are fun, I am truly sick and tired of Lula..

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5296 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »
I think she should make up her mind which man she wants to sleep with. The men don't seem to care. Each seems to know.

Steph

« Reply #5297 on: June 27, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
I agree that Stephanie needs to be decisive about her men, but am sure that Evanovich has too many readers on either side to let her choose.. Thats the trouble with series..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5298 on: June 27, 2013, 11:36:58 PM »
Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini, our mystery story husband and wife, have a new book out "The Bughouse Affair". It features a man and woman detective duo in San Francisco in the 1880s. They are aided by a man claiming to be Sherlock Holmes (they don't believe him since Dr. Watson has written that Holmes was killed by Moriarty).

Wooden writing and slow plot make this not as much fun as it should be. And I think they cheated on the solution to a locked room mystery. But I'd certainly try another one, if there is one. The detectives' reaction to Holmes' endless pontificating is funny. And the description of San Francisco of the time.

Steph

« Reply #5299 on: June 28, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
I am a huge Marcia Muller fan.. but surprised to hear of wooden dialogue, etc. Probably will try it, since I do like hr so much. He is OK.. not great, but generally worth reading.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5300 on: June 28, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
STEPH: let me know what you think. it may be me: I seem to criticize everything I read lately. Maybe I'm just grouchy.

Steph

« Reply #5301 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
Dont worry, I have been grouchy for weeks. Think it is the weather.. I checked notes and I have one that says Marcia writes better by herself, and she has in fact done at least one other book with her husband and I did not like it. So we will see.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5302 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
I think it's the weather, too. Where's a good funny read when you need one.

salan

« Reply #5303 on: June 30, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »
Just finished another Inspector Gamach novel by Louise Penny.  I think it's about my fifth book in this series.  I obviously really enjoy these novels.  The characters build with each book, so it is helpful to me to read them in order; although each can be a stand alone.  The first one in this series is Still Life.  Thank you to the person on this sight that introduced me to this author.

Sally

Steph

« Reply #5304 on: June 30, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
Ihave not read the latest Penney, but will in bit. She is a good writer and always interesting. I do laugh, her little village is like Miss Marples.. Lots of crime for a teeny spot.. Still  its fun.

mabel1015j

« Reply #5305 on: June 30, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
Joan, you mentioned the weather's effect on your temperment, a friend and i who both have chronic pain issues were commenting this week that for a month or so everyone we know who has pain - fibromyalgia, migraines, back pain, etc have had worse pain. We determined it can't be anything other than weather and the constant changing pressure. Have any of you experienced this?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5306 on: June 30, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
I have had bad pain in my shoulder, but thought it was because I strained it.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #5307 on: June 30, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Absolutely, Jean.  I've suffered with it for 38 years now...changes in weather pressure bring lots of pain to my joints. This entire spring has been very, very bad.  We here in Iowa have had so many different weather fronts through...and everyone I know with arthritis, fibro, etc. has suffered, as you say.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #5308 on: June 30, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
I know that I am really suffering from .Lazyitus. I cant blame it on weather as the last two days I could have gotten lots done. I just keep playing around. Fun things.

Frybabe

« Reply #5309 on: June 30, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
This spring for several weeks my back was giving me trouble (more than usual). Since yesterday, I have a pain across the top of my foot I cannot attribute to anything yet.

The biggest pain, however, is the mystery of why my wireless isn't staying connected or won't connect and which device is causing it. The modem has been dropping out and resetting some, but with the wireless connected it really screws things up. I've been spending two days looking at new wireless routers and modems. I may try to do a reset back to the factory settings on the modem, so if I disappear for a few days, it will be because I really made a mess of it.

Steph

« Reply #5310 on: July 01, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
I have been out of sorts for several weeks and two days ago started sneezing,coughing, headaches.. I assume something is in bloomthat is unusual.. I knowI did not have the problem up here in the mountains last year,so I think all the rain here has made something bloom that is not generally blooming. Bah..
On the other hand, my wireless printer insusts it is not communicating with the computer.The computer on the other hand insists it is communicating with the printer.. Sigh.. I may have to uninstall the printer and reinstall it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5311 on: July 01, 2013, 10:51:38 AM »
I hope you all are right about the weather being the cause of some many of our aches and pains. So maybe this fall, when things settle down, we'll feel better.  I've been blaming everything on the arthritis, but the knees, never good, seem to have picked up some new painful wrinkles. Hurts to walk, but can still peddle.  Come on, sun.

Time seems to have gone away.  I've got a couple new free mysteries from BookGorilla on my kindle, but can't find a time to just settle in and read.

Frybabe

« Reply #5312 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
Steph, I don't know if it will help with the printer, but when I have to reset the modem or wireless router, I have to shut everything down, pull the power plugs, wait 30 seconds or so, re-plug and restart. It is warm and humid up here on the second floor even with the AC going, so I guess the weather is wreaking havoc on the equipment as well as me. At least my foot is feeling better, not gone completely, but better.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5313 on: July 01, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
We're having a hot spell here, which is miserable for some folks, but great for me. I don't mind the heat, and my shoulder feels better. But I admit to missing rain. I called PatH yesterday when it was raining, and she opened her door for me and let me listen to the rain over the phone. Is that pathetic? Sigh.

No new mysteries till I finish a long non-fiction book.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #5314 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
It was a really heavy rain.  Made a sound worth hearing.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5315 on: July 01, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »
It's been raining here off and on for several days.  I'm ready for a complete day of sunshine.

Frybabe

« Reply #5316 on: July 02, 2013, 06:57:13 AM »
The humidity is what gets me. This is an old house. The humidity creeps in, and the air conditioning can't keep up with it. In fact, the air conditioning has a hard time keeping the temps down up here on the second floor. The walls are uninsulated (except the bathroom which I had remodeled several years ago). Unfortunately, I can't have insulation blown in because if the plaster walls have to come out, the insulation will be all over the place.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5317 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Joan K, thank you for recommending Wobble to Death by Peter Lovesy. I had never read one of his, it's really engrossing, and kind of hard to put down. I read half of it last night (it's not that long a book) and wanted to keep on this morning. It sure throws you right in the middle of that strange walk/race thing I've seen at the Olympics, and is amazing, really.

Of course I have no idea who dun it and never do, (tho I have my suspicions)  but it's fascinating stuff. One thing I'm not understanding is the score card at the end of each chapter. I don't know what the category of LAPS means. Some will have 0 tho many miles walked, and some will have 2 or something. Will it spoil the plot if you tell me? Is that laps left to go or what IS that?

It's an amazing thing. After WWII people walked across whole  countries, which is absolutely astounding to me, and here these people are walking amazing miles, much farther than a marathon in 6 days. So far, I agree, I love it.

Thank you for recommending it. I get the best recommendations here!

mabel1015j

« Reply #5318 on: July 02, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
J. D. Robb's newest book is quite interesting. Delusion in Death. The premise sounds gruesome, and it would be in real life, but the resultant investigation is very interesting.

People at a happy hour in a bar suddenly become angry, aggressive, delusional, attacking each other with what ever is available. It lasts for about 12 minutes and then stops. Is it a terroristic group, has an individual concocted some compound they can put in the air, is it a revenge of competition among the companies or prople who work in the area? How is the compound delivered? Is the perp in the area? Is it a reinitiating of the "old" Urban War from 2015? Will it be duplicated by the perp? when and where?

Sorting out all those facts makes the story compelling, but Roberts (Robb) does a nice job of weaving in Eve's and Roarke's feelings from the past. There is also a little break in Somerset and Eve's battles. I'm enjoying it and think it may be one of the best of the series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5319 on: July 02, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
GINNY: thank you for the kind words. That's what this discussion is for.

I was completely confused by the "laps" column too. I wanted it to mean number of laps of the course completed that day, but that didn't seem to fit the numbers they give.

Does anyone else know?

I've started an interesting series by Rhys Bowen. The first one is "Murphy's Law". A young Irishwoman immigrates to America in the 1880s, and  becomes a suspect when another immigrant is murdered on Ellis Island during the intake process.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/rhys-bowen/