Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 897561 times)

Frybabe

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #5800 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:40 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

==========================================================

Okay, one more Kate Shugak series and the last two Liam Campbell series read and ready to go back to the library. I am wondering if Dana Stabenow will write more Liam Campbell. The fourth book seemed like a good stopping point, but then it could be an opening to a new "chapter" in the life of Liam and Wy.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5801 on: October 07, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »
I love to read about Alaska in the summer when it's hot.

Steph

« Reply #5802 on: October 08, 2013, 09:05:15 AM »
Since my air is off and am waiting for a callback on who is coming, I will read about anything cool.
Thinking of crawling into the fridge..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5803 on: October 08, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
Sigh. And we had our first cool night last night. I feel cold and achy. When I moved to LA, I laughed at the natives who complained about changes as the temp varied from 60 to 80. Now I'm just as bad as they are.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5804 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
We've just finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of J. K. Rowling), and really enjoyed it.  It was very readable, and we liked the protagonists.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #5805 on: October 09, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »
I found an Ayelet Waldman that I had not read. I do enjoy her.

MaryPage

« Reply #5806 on: October 09, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
I don't know a Thing about her books, Steph.  Never heard of them.  Do tell me a little.  Would I like them?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5807 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
Found in the library another book in the series by Gary Corby about a detective in Ancient Greece: "Sacred Games"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/gary-corby/

the narrator is Socrates' older brother who has become a "Murder Investigator" for Pericles in Athens. Socrates is this annoying younger brother, who sometimes makes a deduction that sets big brother on the right track.

This one takes place at the Olympic Games. An Athenian athlete is accused of killing a Spartan athlete, and our guy must combine with a Spartan detective to find out the truth, and cool the bad relations between Athens and Sparta. 

Frybabe

« Reply #5808 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Oh no! Another series to look into. Now that Lindsey Davis has discontinued her Didius Falco series I could use another ancient detective series. Of course, I haven't read any of Saylor's ancient Roman detective yet. 

Steph

« Reply #5809 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »
Ayelet Waldman writes a small mystery series,, dubbed
The Mommy series. All about a lawyer, who has three babies , lives in Hollywood, her husband is involved in hollywood horror films. She gives up being a lawyer when the first child is born, but then realizes she cannot be a stay at home.. They are light and funny.. She has also written a few stand alones and does ( I believe) either a blog or column on line. Her husband is Michael Chabon and she considers him a genius and herself as a journey man writer.. I like her, dislike his..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5810 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
As you say, another series to check out!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/ayelet-waldman/

That sounds like me: I love my kids but didn't like being a stay-at-home mom. There were no handy murders for me to solve, though.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5811 on: October 10, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »
Rats! kindle doesn't have any of her mysteries: only a couple of her other books.

Steph

« Reply #5812 on: October 11, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Her others are supposed to be serious, but I have not read them..Will eventually

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5813 on: October 11, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
The Cuckoo's Calling was good and the characters interesting, but too long IMO and too "wordy".  I just don't seem to have the patience anymore to stick with a long story.  

The library just notified me that Eva's Eye by Scandinavian author Karin Fossum is ready for pickup.  I usually like mysteries by Scandinavian authors, although they can often be a bit depressing or dark ( like their weather  ;))

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5814 on: October 11, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
I liked The Cuckoo's Calling - and hope she writes another book with those protagonists.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5815 on: October 11, 2013, 02:04:48 PM »
I agree with you, Mary Z, I liked the protagonists also.  I liked both Strike and Robin--an interesting contrast of characters.  But I've noticed lately that if a story goes on too long my interest starts to wander---old age getting to me?  ;)

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5816 on: October 11, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
FlaJean -- Eva's Eye is the first Inspector Sejer novel that Karin Fossum wrote.  It was originally published in Norway in 1995 and I've heard that it's very good.  I have a copy waiting for me on my bookshelf...just have to get around to reading it.  I've always wondered why these popular Scandanavian series by different authors are published out-of-order.  Doesn't make sense to me.  Anyway, I love Karin Fossum's books.
~ Carol ~

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5817 on: October 11, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »

marjifay

« Reply #5818 on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
Karin Fossum's EVA'S EYE is a great read!  Suspenseful and very well written.  I'll read more of her books when I find the time.

Right now, I can't put down Stephen King's UNDER THE DOME.  Fascinating and lots of suspense.  Not a horror novel. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #5819 on: October 12, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
Any one remember  Per Wahloo and Maj..?? They were my first experience with the frozen north type detectives so many many years ago. Very dark, but fun..

MaryPage

« Reply #5820 on: October 12, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Oh, I remember every one of those;  I adored them!  There were a couple of movies made, as well.  Per Wahloo and Maj Sjowall.   I started to mention here myself, just as you did, but then I was afraid they would be totally out of print and unavailable.  Perhaps Thrift Books?  They were soooooo good!  Martin Beck was the detective.  One movie was American made and set in the U.S. instead of Sweden.  "The Laughing Policeman."

Winchesterlady

« Reply #5821 on: October 12, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
I have The Laughing Policeman, Roseanna, and The Fire Engine that Disappeared .  I bought them all as "used books" from Amazon.  But....I haven't read them. After your comments, I will have to bring them forward in by TBR pile!
~ Carol ~

Steph

« Reply #5822 on: October 13, 2013, 09:21:56 AM »
Oh I did love them. Martin Beck was interesting and gloomy at the same time. They were good.

jeriron

« Reply #5823 on: October 13, 2013, 09:32:17 AM »
The Martin Beck movies Swedish with English subtitles are sold by Amazon.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #5824 on: October 13, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
Winchesterlady, you are right.  Eva's Eye is a great read.  I did notice that it was originally published in 1995 but didn't realize that she had newer books published in the US.  I am adding her to my list of special authors that I try to follow.

Frybabe

« Reply #5825 on: October 13, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
My library actually has Karin Fossum's books. I've added Eve's Eye to my wish list. Right now I am in the middle of another of the Kate Shugak series, after which are two SciFi books and a non-fiction about the Charlie Chan crime mysteries. I read all the Charlie Chan stories way back and saw many if not all the movies.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5826 on: October 13, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Charlie Chan! What fun!

Eve's Eye is next, after I finish a nonfiction book on Antarctica. Wish I'd read it during the Summer, I'll have to turn the heat on!

Steph

« Reply #5827 on: October 14, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
Charlie Chan.. what is the name of the book./ Sounds so neat..

Frybabe

« Reply #5828 on: October 14, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »
Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous with American History by Yunte Haung. Non-fiction

Steph

« Reply #5829 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »
Thanks, will look it up onAmazon, sounds like a nice book to request for my birthday. I almost always ask for non fiction hard back for that.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5830 on: October 15, 2013, 03:34:38 PM »
I'm enjoying the book a lot. There are a number of books on Antarctica. This one is by Gabrielle Walker.

http://www.amazon.com/Antarctica-Intimate-Mysterious-Continent-ebook/dp/B006R8PHW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381865132&sr=8-1&keywords=antarctica+gabrielle+walker

t's a scientist-tourist view of Antarctica. She mixes layman's descriptions of the scientific work being carried out there, the history of exploration, and her personal impressions and those of the people who work there. It's long, but it carries me right along.

Did you know there are fish with anti-freeze in their veins there? and rocks from Mars? and dinosaur fossils? And snow that fell millions of years ago? Do you know why penguins collect rocks?

You can see I'm enjoying this.

marjifay

« Reply #5831 on: October 16, 2013, 07:37:08 AM »
That book on Antarctica really sounds interesting, JoanK.  I've added it to my TBR list.  Where did you hear about the book?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #5832 on: October 16, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
Ihave always wanted to go to Antarctica.. but MDH was not in favor.Now I find that you must book for two, no singles.. Bah..

MaryPage

« Reply #5833 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
Me, I've never entertained the teeniest speck of desire to actually go there, but I have read a lot of books about it and seen a lot of documentaries, and indeed, it is fascinating.
One grandson-in-law, working on his post doctorate in Biology, went for 6 weeks in January/February a few years back with a shipload of other scientists.  He emailed back and forth with my daughter Becky's First Graders in Kansas City, Missouri and both sides, Aaron and the kids, had a ball.  The ship's times for emailing were confined to a certain portion of the day, something to do with where they were, I don't remember the details of that, but Aaron would receive an email with 3 questions the kids had and then the NEXT day he would send them his answers, with photographs of himself and the ship and all.  It was a great learning experience for the kids, Becky, me, and Aaron swears himself!
I do not like to punish my body, and my body likes not COLD temps!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #5834 on: October 16, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
We went on an Elderhostel to Antarctica over Christmas in 1996.  It was fabulous!  I don't know what we had expected, but we had not expected it to be so beautiful.  We did have wonderful weather (which is not always the case, of course), and were able to make all our scheduled landings.  On our first landing, I think everybody wore all their clothes, and wound up peeling off layers because the temp got into the upper 40s with sunshine.  Loved seeing the penguins and the icebergs and all the birds and sealife.  I'd definitely recommend a trip if you can manage it financially and health-wise.  We had one woman in her 80s on our trip, and she made every landing. 

nlhome

« Reply #5835 on: October 16, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
Our library does a lot of displays (partly because there isn't enough shelf space any more) and this month someone, maybe in honor of October or Halloween or school colors, pulled books with orange covers and set them out near the check-out. Of course, I had to look to see what was there and found Ash & Bone by John Harvey, a Frank Elder mystery. I have read one of the Charlie Resnick books by Harvey, but wasn't aware of Frank Elder. I am enjoying meeting a new character. This is the 2nd in the series, though, so I'll have to go back for the first.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5836 on: October 16, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »
NLHOME: let us know if it's good.

WOW! What great experiences with Antarctica! Your Grandson-in-law must be a special person, MaryPage, to share his trip like that. How wonderful!

And MaryZ has been there! You're the only person I've met who has. What a great experience.

I would never actually go there. I'm so cold- blooded, that here in Southern California, I'm always wearing heavy sweaters and jackets when everyone else is in t-shirts. But paradoxically, I love to experience the cold vicariously. I watch every show Discovery Channel has on Alaska, and read all the Alaskan mysteries of course.

I guess I'm not alone in this -- they are very popular!

MaryPage

« Reply #5837 on: October 16, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
I think the very best COLD murder mystery I ever read was Smilla's Sense of Snow.  I mean, it was the best, but I am not sure that was the exact name.  And they made a movie of it that was not near as good as the book.  Not near.  Was it by Peter Hoag?  A Dane.  I must look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Smilla's_Feeling_for_Snow

Well, there it is, and I did not spell his name correctly.  My book was most definitely NOT titled with the "Miss."  I did correctly name the book I read.  I thought it wonderful, but it was most definitely a book you either loved or hated.  Apparently someone in Hollywood thought it wonderful, as well;  but then just did not know how to translate it to the silver screen.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120152/

Steph

« Reply #5838 on: October 17, 2013, 09:16:28 AM »
Did not like the Sense of Snow..and I generally like the northern authors.. My air conditioning is fixed.. Hooray.. I can live again without carrying a towell to dry my face constantly. Now for Lowes to stop futzing around and delilver my microwave. Stop talking to me that it is in and actually schedule a time.. Nuts.

marjifay

« Reply #5839 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
I've meant to read Smilla's Sense of Snow.  Thanks for reminding me, MaryPage.

It will have to wait, tho,' until I read the book that's up next --  TEARS OF AUTUMN by Charles McCarry.  It was recommended by someone in another book group whose book  preferences I like.  He said this book remains one of his favorite books in the suspense genre.

Marj