General Book Discussions & More > Mystery Corner

Mystery Corner ~ 2

<< < (2/1718) > >>

marcie:
My niece, who is studying for a Masters in Library and Information Science, has recommended Jasper Fforde to me. I just came across The Eyre Affair in a thrift store so will see if I have more luck with it than some of you have posted about here. I usually enjoy whimsy but I may not have the background related to all of his literary and historical references to "get" it.

Frybabe:
I saw somewhere that CD thoughtMartin Chuzzlewit was his best work.

from mrssherlock:

--- Quote ---Sometimes my sense of whimsy is strained beyond repair...
--- End quote ---

Yes, Fforde is stretching it a bit too far. The IDEA of characters going missing and a detective out to solve the mystery is interesting. But Fforde overdid it, IMO, by making the "normal" living environment of the heroine rather bizarre. Nevertheless, I am having fun identifying the character names with their literary counterparts. It has also peeked my curiosity about Swindon, the Crimean War, and to take another look at Merthyr Tydfil. I still need to find out who this Felix(#) is. He sounds almost like one of those bad guy characters from a comic strip.

PS Marci: I can see why your niece recommended the book. Aside from the characters and books mentioned, it gets into copyright infringement, forgeries, and literary license.

My last read was Harlan Coben's Tell No One. It was hard to put down. My sister now has it with a MUST READ note on it.

I've been trying to find books that do not contain a lot of violence and swearing in them for my Mom to read. She was okay with the Louise Perrys I gave her but they really didn't catch her fancy much. She did like the Cat Who series and Agatha Christie's Miss Marple series.

maryz:
marking my place.

FlaJean:
 :)

JoanK:
Welcome to a new site. I hope everyone finds their way over here.

I'm going to have to try "The Eyre Affair". I don't usually read fantasy -- my sister PatH, who runs the Sci-Fi discussion, is always trying to lure me into it, usually without success. But this sounds too tempting.

I've never read Harlan Coban! I picked up one at the library, Monday. I'll read it when I finish my current book.

I'm reading "The Girl Who Played with Fire", the second Larsson book. You definately have to read it after "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" or you won't understand it at all. Much of it is continueing threads from the earlier story.

Decades ago, I started out to be a mathematician, so I was delighted to see all the math references in the book (Don't be put off by that-- they don't interfere with the story). His math statements are a bit off-- you can see Larsson has read a math book, and is all excited about it, but doesn't really think like a mathematician. Probably just as well, we're all a little kooky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version