Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 899480 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #680 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I started a Harlen Coben mystery, but gave it up after about 50 pages, too gory and violent, not my cup of tea at the moment............jean

Steph

« Reply #681 on: April 06, 2010, 05:48:42 AM »
I agree on books.. Actually so many sermons sound so much alike, I assumed they all recycled. The Flagg is fun.. very very hometown to a hometown that never existed, but still nice.
I am reading the first chocoholic book.. a new author and I suspect a first time one.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #682 on: April 06, 2010, 09:05:23 AM »
 A chocoholic book?  That one should find many kindred souls.  :) 

I know how you feel, JEAN.  Maybe I'm just grumpy lately, but none of the books coming up
for discussion soon appeal to me at all. Nothing too long appeals to me, either. All I seem too
want right now is entertainment.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #683 on: April 06, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
Reading Corpse on the Cob by Sue Ann Jaffarian, an Odelia Grey mystery.   I've been reading more non-fiction and this is a light and quick read for a change to the longer and intense books.

Steph

« Reply #684 on: April 07, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »
Light mysteries have been my main stay for the past five months.. I have some serious books here to read, but my concentration is still not I want it to be.
I am reading a Sharon Shinn.. She is a fantasy writer and quite good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #685 on: April 07, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »
I like light mystery books as "snacks" between the "meals of more serious books.

I've been eating a lot of snacks lately (both books and literally) and am beginning to feel a little bloated (again both literally and figur-atively). I may have gone too far in the other direction -- I picked up a new Ian Pears at the library.

I could never get through the "Instance of the Fingerpost" and don't like his light art theft mysteries, but was really impressed by another book he wrote "The Dream of Scipio". It details the lives of three men, each trying to lead a moral life in an immoral time: the end of the Roman Empire, the period of the split papacy and the Black plague, and the German occupation of France.

This new one, "Stone's Fall" is so heavy, I can barely lift it. So if I disappear for awhile, you'll know why.

Steph

« Reply #686 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »
I tried the Fingerpost book and simply could not get the point.. Happens every once in a while.
My bed book is always light. That is why I am reading the chocolate one there.. I am on a science fantasy kick and my day book is by Sharon Shinn.. The back story is quite fascinating in this small series.. Definitely a computer behind it, but they have no idea. Interesting concept.

Babi

« Reply #687 on: April 08, 2010, 09:11:33 AM »
  I'm reading that series too, STEPH, when I can get the books.  I've read the first two, but
I must wait for the next until my older daughter's library has it back in hand.
  From all that's been said, I would really like to try the 'Lumby' series. So far I haven't been
able to find one.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #688 on: April 08, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
I'm reading Linda Fairstein's Cold Hit about art gallery owners in NYC. I like the story, but it feels like it's been written by an ADHD person, or a writer in her manic period. Every page talks about a new character - even if she never mentions them again and they seem to have nothing to add to the story. There are small descriptions of every possible movement or environment. She may be wanting to give the feeling of how frenetic Alexander's job is, but it's confusing to read, i have trouble staying w/ the story.....................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #689 on: April 08, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
BABI: I ordered "The Lumly Line" through Amazon, quite reasonably. I'm enjoying it, although I'm reading about 5 books at once now, so progress is slow.

The library just down the street is closed for alterations, and it's harder to get to another one. I was afraid I'd run out of books, and overreacted by flooding myself with new book orders.

Steph

« Reply #690 on: April 09, 2010, 05:44:59 AM »
Oh I know that feeling. Just now I have two full baskets of not read books.. Some are ones I really want to start. I get panicky occasionally and go out and trade or buy lots of books..

Babi

« Reply #691 on: April 09, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »
Now, calm down, girls.  You aren't going to starve for a book to read; no need to panic. In a pinch, there's always a classic favorite to hold you until the stores open...assuming you ever
get to the bottom of those to-be-reads.  ::)

Steph

« Reply #692 on: April 10, 2010, 06:48:17 AM »
I know that I have enough books, but I suspect this is the sign of a bookaholic.. Never enough books around to make sure you can read anything you might fancy at any time.

Tomereader1

« Reply #693 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:50 AM »
Linwood Barclay - anyone read him?  I'm reading "Never Look Away".
Be forewarned, do not start this book if the expectations of sleep are on your agenda!   It is "figure-outable" early on, but what a trip.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #694 on: April 11, 2010, 02:14:46 PM »
Steph: you're right! Do you think we should join "books anonymous"?

mrssherlock

« Reply #695 on: April 11, 2010, 05:20:46 PM »
You may be addicted but I can quit anytime I want to.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #696 on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:46 PM »
Yeah, right!

Steph

« Reply #697 on: April 12, 2010, 05:48:51 AM »
Not read.. I went through that for about a month after the accident. It was horrible.. I need to read.. fact to live with.

Babi

« Reply #698 on: April 15, 2010, 08:21:51 AM »
 I am currently reading my first Christopher Fowler book, "The Water Room".  I have a mixed
reaction to it.  Somtimes I am amused by his writing and sometimes I'm bored. The plot tends
to drag while he tells me far more than I ever wanted to know about the underground rivers and sewers.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #699 on: April 15, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
I'm several chapters into Skeleton Justice by Dr. Michael Baden (host of HBO/s Autopsy) and Linda Kenney Baden.  So far I am finding it interesting and enjoying the characters.

Steph

« Reply #700 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:16 AM »
I was surprised , but the latest J.D. Robb ( Nora Roberts) crime series is mostly about crime. She has tamed herself down on the sex scenes.. Hooray..

Babi

« Reply #701 on: April 16, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
 Good to hear, STEPH.  I may go back to reading her books again if this change holds. I'll check
into Fantastic Fiction and see what the latest is.  Robb is so popular my library usually gets her
books.

Steph

« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2010, 05:56:41 AM »
I discovered reading this one that I had missed one, so checked with my swap club and they had it, so I ordered it..

Babi

« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
 The library catalog lists three Robb books issued in 2009. She is
really turning them out.  I couldn't tell which was the most recent, or
the one you were referring, STEPH.  Mind posting the title for me?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
I'm slow in my mystery reading lately, with all the fuss around buying a condo. I am enjoying a Penny "Three Pines" mystery, though.

Tomereader1

« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
good for you, JoanK.  Don't you just love Three Pines and Inspector Gamache?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
Yes, I do. For another town you want to pack up and move to (but no mystery), I just finished "The Lumbly Lines".

I'm also reading a Mary Daheim: "Vi Agra Falls". But somehow, I can't get up much interest. Vi Agra, you may or may not know, is a character in several books. I'm wondering if she'll finally turn out to be a murderess (but not enough to really care).

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »
Here's something for really hard core Agatha Christie fans:  "Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks. Fifty Years of Mysteries in the Making" by John Curran.  (I haven't read it, just the review in the Washington Post.)

Apparently Christie used to jot down ideas for stories, plot strategies, etc. in a series of notebooks, interspersed with shopping lists, hairdresser appointments, and such stuff.  Curran has sifted through this material and come up with a lot of good stuff about her thoughts about murder mechanisms and plot devices.  From the review, it looks like the book will give away vital information about the plots of most of her books, but if you've already read them (I'm sure JoanK and I have read every mystery she's written) it would be great.

Tomereader1

« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »
JoanK, I just put in a request for Lumby Lines at my library.  They only have two copies.  It may be a few days!  You have made it sound so good I can hardly wait.

Joanne

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »
It's not THAT good, but it is a nice, funny, comfy read.

Steph

« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »
On the Robb books.. It is Kindred that I just finished and Promises that I missed.
My magazine stack is sky high, so I am working on that instead of starting a new book. The Nevada Barr just came out in paperback so I picked that up..

Babi

« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »
 Thanks, STEPH.  I'm not sure my library has either of those two, but I definitely didn't want
to get started on another one of her old line.  I'll look for 'Promise' and "Kindred'.
  My elder daughter's library has Lumby Lines; she'll get it for me.  Sounds like a pleasant
change from the heavier stuff I'm reading.

mrssherlock

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
Two of my current mystery series lite are being read back-to-back and one is not holding up well.  Krista Davis' The Diva Paints the Town wins hands down over Betty Allan's latest in the Trash to Treasures, can't remember the title.  The interaction between "mother" and daughter in Allan's hands is more annoying than amusing this time around while the end of the Diva book is disappointing because there will be a long wait for the next one.  I'm talking about the characters here, not the whodunnit.  Next time I will be sure to leave some space between them.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
I read one of the "Trash to Treasure" books, and didn't quite like it, not sure why. Still looking for Krista Davis.

Steph

« Reply #714 on: April 19, 2010, 05:45:19 AM »
I would guess that the name Diva puts me off a bit.. I may look for one though just to see. I hated the shopoholic series.. The girl just made me grit my teeth.

Babi

« Reply #715 on: April 19, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
 I guess you and I just aren't shopaholics, STEPH.  I loathe shopping.  I need a list, as few stores
as possible to fill it, ...in, out, and home!

mrssherlock

« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »
Diva is a tongue-in-cheek pejorative for our gal Sophie's life-long rival Natasha who has a TV program (think Martha Stewart) and Sophie's ex-husband.  She lives down the street from Sophie and is so egocentric she puts her name on all her things which she colors robin's-egg blue.  This is a cozy series , amusing, quirky characters, a fun change-of-pace between the more more grim mysteries and the stark angst is so many serious novels we read these days. 
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #717 on: April 19, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »
Stuart woods is uneven. I gobbled up his Orchid beach series but found Stone Barrington and the super rich trying. I did finish the two books I started but skipped a lot of the description about clothes and food etc.  The mistery worked well. I didn't guess the perp.
cliare
thimk

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #718 on: April 19, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
STEPH: and I love the Shopoholic series: it lets me feel superior. I hate shopping so much, I will go without things forever rather than shop for them. (bookstores are the exception, of course).

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »
We loved the first Stuart Woods books - with the sheriff in the small county in GA.  We quit reading when he started the Stone Barrington stuff - nothing but a listing of clothes and restaurants and sex  - don't care about the sex stuff, but hate all the hoity-toity, snobbish clothes stuff.  Oh, well.....
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."