Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 899447 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #760 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

=================================================================

Ditto that.  Yes, I think it's volleyball.  And V.I. also has a little sister from the Little Sister program.  Likes working with kids just like Paretsky.

Steph

« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:20 AM »
I had wondered about Paretsky. A very very favorite author of mine. She has a great love affair with Chicago when you read the books.. I did laugh. I played field hockey in high school and adored it.. But softball.. Little Miss four eyes ducked if the ball came her way.. Still do.. as a matter of fact.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Tomereader1

« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
I was thinking V.I. played basketball, but I could surely be wrong on that one.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
Can'tremember if it's volleyball or basketball. Shame on me -- big basketball fan that I am. Hmm -- I wonder if there's ever been a mystery involving a basketball team?

Since I've moved to Southern California, I've become a big beach vollyball fan, too. But only watching, not playing. I close my eyes when the ball comes, too. Didn't work too well when my husband tried to teach me tennis.

Well, off to the exercise I DO do -- chair yoga!! Different strokes.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
JoanK, I had never seen beach volleyball until the last summer olympics.  I'm now hooked.  It's fascinating, I love it.

Steph

« Reply #765 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »
Beach volley is fun to watch.. not something I would do however.
Tennis was a bust for me.. I liked the thought, but in  execution,, not so great.
I do faithfully go to the gym, do cardio and weight training.. I love that.. well mostly.

Babi

« Reply #766 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »
 I don't know what it is, but I've always seemed to have weak ankles and wrists.  Which of
course translated into 'forget tennis' and 'forget ice skating'. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #767 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
I am a fan of "Grey's Anatomy" so am aware of who Katherine Heigl is.  I think she will do OK in Stephanie Plum movie...Certainly better than the ones they made of Cornwell's books.  Andie MacDowell was terrible.  Heigl is a very pretty blond and in the Gray's Anatomy story she is someone who earned her way through medical school by modeling and posing nude.  She had to take a lot of ribbing because of that.  The pictures came out when she was interning.  I think she could do OK with a jersey accent.  The only thing is this would be a problem is that she is taller than I envision Stephanie Plum who I picture as small, cute and feisty...more like Anne Heche.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #768 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »
I agree with Golden State Poppy about Katherine Heigl.  I happen to think she is a very good actress.. I am not familar with the character that she is going to play but I have enough confidence in her acting ability to believe that she can take on most any part that she is likely to be cast in and do it justice.  I thought as I used to watch her on Grey's Anatomy that she was a better than average actress.  I am just wondering what her being a blonde has to do with her acting ability. Can someone explain that to me please?
Just expressing my opinion .Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
JoanG: good point!!

Pedlin: the beach volleyball teams you saw winniong at the Olympics are the same teams I get to watch every week on TV -- several of them live near me, and eat at the same restaurants.

One of the beaches I go to regularly (Manhattan Beach) is the home of beach volleyball, and site of it's most important tournament. There was a big fuss last year because the sponsers wanted to charge for more of the seats, and close the site off, but the town councel voted to keep all but the best seats free, and leave the site open so townspeople can overlook the games. When there isn't a tournament, the beach is lined with nets: people bring balls and play.

The sport is still in the process of changing from something people just did to big business. But it hasn't quite got there yet.

Steph

« Reply #770 on: April 29, 2010, 06:03:39 AM »
Mostly the blonde on Heigl throws me.. Stephanie is definitely a brunette and from the description.. sort of Italian.. I have watched some of Grays Anatomy, but was not impressed with Heigl. Besidees the characters idea of doctoring is truly frightening.. But then the whole show has that sort of quality.
I just guess that I had a lot of other actresses in mind for the small round Plum.. Sort of a in your face New York actress
I dont think Andie McDowell has ever been a good actress, although she always works..
The thing that bothers me is that Heigls company bought the rights to the books and that generally means that the actor wants to create their own sort of person.. Remember the vampire with Tom Cruise.. Shudder.

serenesheila

« Reply #771 on: April 29, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
I reached for some light reading this morining.  Pulled out "A Is For Alibi", by Sue Grafton.  I have not read any of her novels.  I think she has me hookied, from Chapter One.

For years I have read Mary Higgins Clarks books.  About two years ago, it dawned on me that she seems to rewrite, similiar plots, with different names.  I am bored with them.

So, I am looking forward to finding some new authors.  I just finished "Troublesome Young Men", a non fiction book for discussion, here.  It was wonderful.  It also used up too many brain cells.  So, back to some light reading.

Sheila

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #772 on: April 29, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
I just finished Harlan Coben's "Just One Look" and I highly recommen it.  It has a surprise ending.  At first, I thought it was one I had read before but it definitely wasn't.  I think it was "Gone for Good" that I read before.  It started out the same way but it definitely didn't end that way.

I agree with Joan G about Heigl.  I think she is an excellant actress.  I also don't know what her being blond has to do with it.

Frybabe

« Reply #773 on: April 29, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »
I read Harlan Coben's "Tell No One" some time ago. I couldn't put it down. My sister had the same experience. She also could not put it down.

Steph

« Reply #774 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:18 AM »
The Heigl blonde thing is the old joke.  Every year in Hollywood there is a new blonde of the year.. They are interchangeable.. Think about the movies she has done.. Same part, different leading man..

Babi

« Reply #775 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »
 I started Fairsteins' "Lethal Legacy", recommended here, only to realize quickly that I had read
it before.  I've been doing that too often lately.  Tiresome and embarrassing.  I'm going to have
to start checking the library's listing of my check-outs, I guess.  (sigh)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #776 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Babi:  Join the club.  The new Minette Walters' was a treat to read about here but when I got it home from the library, what a disappointment.  So was I disappointed when Cornelia Read's A Field of Darkness.  At least I am not buying duplicates as I used to do.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Tomereader1

« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I have been tasked to find a "book buddy" for a friend of mine who is going to Portland in August (I may go, too - not sure) on an Exploritas trip.  She wants to know if any of you (my on line friends) live in Portland and would be interested in spending time at Powells Books with her.   Let me know.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: May 01, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
If you've been interested in some of the previous PBS Mystery programs, you might want to tune in on this Sunday. For three weeks, many PBS stations will be showing new episodes of Foyle's War.  Lots of other favorite sleuths will be on hand again this season. See the link to the Mystery schedule and join the discussion at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1300.0

Steph

« Reply #779 on: May 01, 2010, 07:56:07 AM »
I just got a book from my swap club and realized when I saw the cover that I already had the book, just had not read it yet.. Darn..

Babi

« Reply #780 on: May 01, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Well, STEPH, at least you now have a pb you can mark up if you like.  Or swap back. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2010, 02:32:15 PM »
If any of you haven't seen "Foyles War". I highly recommend it. Don't know what the new ones will be like of course, but the past ones are uniformly high quality. Just the right blend of mystery, history, thoughtfulness, and understated humor.

Steph

« Reply #782 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:09 AM »
I am reading away at Conspiracy of Paper by Liss.. Wow.. Thats how the stock market began?? Whew.. A bunch of crooks.. The Bank of England conspiring.. I love it..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #783 on: May 02, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »
Some mystery buff I am. The 2010 Edgar Awards are out, and I haven't read any of the nomenees.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_70070_15237990_pk_exp_1/?docId=151303

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #784 on: May 02, 2010, 01:58:34 PM »
I take it back. My favorite author, Dorothy Gilman, won a Grand Master award for the Mrs. Polifax novels.

mrssherlock

« Reply #785 on: May 02, 2010, 02:27:14 PM »
The Body Farm Mysteries, product of the collaboration between Dr Bill Blass, head of the UT research site known as the Body Farm, and Jon Jefferson, publishes under the pseudonym of Jefferson Blass.  Their newest, The Bone Thief, interfered with my sleep last night, I couldn't put it down.  Instead I fell asleep several times, dropping the book each time, but picking it up off the floor next time I woke up.  Finally finished it just a few minutes ago and now I'm sorry it's over.   Boo Hoo!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #786 on: May 02, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
If you like detective stories in other countries and cultures, you might enjoy Wife of the Gods, An Inspector Darko Dawson Mystery by Kwei Quartey.  It is set in Ghana.  I enjoyed it.

I also just finished Alexander McCall Smith's latest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book The Double Comfort Safari Club.  No disappointment here--I especially liked the ending.

Steph

« Reply #787 on: May 03, 2010, 09:44:49 AM »
I only like McCall Smiths Scottish ones. Just could not get into the No. 1 series at all.

mabel1015j

« Reply #788 on: May 03, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
I finished Jill Churchill's The House of SEven Mabels and like it well enough. I started Grafton's "C is for Corpse" last night. I had read only 2 of hers before, sev'l yrs ago and knew there was something that put me off, but didn't remember what it was...............i knew immediately as i started this book................... she describes EVERYTHING! People, dress, bars, streets, cars - and often to no purpose to the story. Does that bother anyone else? I just want to say "get on w/ the story already!" So, i do a lot of skimming, hoping the mystery will be good.....jean

Frybabe

« Reply #789 on: May 03, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »
Uh oh, another book to add to my to buy list. I looked up Kwei Quartey on Google. Here is his website with a most interesting promo for his new Darko Dawson mystery Children of the Street which will be out next year. At first I thought it was a promo for a movie. I take it that Wife of the Gods is the first Darko Dawson? Be sure to read his blogs, especially the Latest News . Lots of pix to go with his narrative. Very, very interesting.
http://www.kweiquartey.com/index2.html

Steph

« Reply #790 on: May 04, 2010, 06:18:10 AM »
Africa.. Will put that on my look at list. Maybe I will like that. I tend to like stories about Africa from the turn of the century.. Beryl Markham is one of the most fascinating women I ever read about.. And she was quite real.

Babi

« Reply #791 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »
Sounds good, FRYBABE. Interesting name, too; should be easy to remember.

So, STEPH, who was Beryl Markham, and where did you read about her?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #792 on: May 04, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »
This seems to be my time for detective stories in foreign lands. :)  This book was set in China.  An interesting book named Paper Butterfly by Diane Wei Liang. The author now lives in Great Britain but was born in Beijing, spent part of her childhood with her parents in a labor camp  and she also took part in the protest in Tiananmen Square.

Steph

« Reply #793 on: May 05, 2010, 06:04:09 AM »
Beryl Markham.. Look up West Until Morning.. It is non fiction. Beryl was born and raised inAfrica.. She was an early pilot... rode horses and trained for the show ring.. Had many close friends,. and was an adventurer. She lived until just a few years ago and was on Tv one time for an interview. A feisty old broad as she called herself. I adored the stories about her. She wrote at least two books and several others wrote about her. I believe she grew up in Kenya, but am not positive.. West Until Morning is one of my favorite all time books.. She and Elspeth Huxley are wonderful about Africa.

Babi

« Reply #794 on: May 05, 2010, 08:38:25 AM »
 I checked, and my library does have one book by Markham, apparently a book of her 'African stories'.  I'll take a look at it.

Steph

« Reply #795 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:54 AM »
I think that may be the short stories.. If I were more organized I could find her books in all of my varied ones. Did you hear the Today interview with Laura Bush.. She Dewey Decimals her books at home.. I did laugh..

Babi

« Reply #796 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
 I once organized my pastor's library, at his request.  He wanted things organized by topic, so
he could find all the books on whatever subject he was writing about.   I had to do some cross-referencing as well, of course.  It was a lot of work, as you can imagine, and I kept the system as simple as possible. I wondered if they kept up the system with new book additions...but
didn't really worry much about it. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #797 on: May 06, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
Jean, your reference to Jill Churchill brought back so many memories.  Years ( and years) ago -- '93 or '94, I had my first non-apple computer -- can't remember if it had windows or not.
But I subscribed (and paid) to something called Delphi -- like a bulletin board or chat room.  It wasn't the Internet as we know it today -- everything was text based.  Anyway, Jill Churchill was on it, her real name was Brooks -- Janice Brooks, I think, and she lived in Kansas, maybe it was Kansas City.  She was just part of the group, talking about her books, and I started reading some of them.  Fun cozies, the titles always a play on words of something to do with housekeeping.

mabel1015j

« Reply #798 on: May 06, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »
Interesting Pedln - from the "i knew her when" category......... ;D

As i said i like her characters, they are women i know.......... jean

Steph

« Reply #799 on: May 07, 2010, 05:50:14 AM »
Janice Brooks writes a variety of cozy book..
A contract author, I think.