Author Topic: That Old Cape Magic / Richard Russo ~ November / Pre-discussion  (Read 19544 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
That Old Cape Magic / Richard Russo ~ November / Pre-discussion
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:35:49 PM »

That Old Cape Magic
           by
Richard  Russo

From Bookmarks magazine:

Following Bridge of Sighs—a national best seller hailed by The Boston Globe as “an astounding achievement” and “a masterpiece”—Richard Russo gives us the story of a marriage, and of all the other ties that bind, from parents and in-laws to children and the promises of youth.
 The storytelling is flawless throughout, moments of great comedy and even hilarity alternating with others of rueful understanding and heart-stopping sadness, and its ending is at once surprising, uplifting and unlike anything this Pulitzer Prize winner has ever written.

From The Washington Post

Every year, Jack Griffin's parents would drive from the Midwest, where they were both unhappy-to-miserable college professors, to spend two weeks in a rented cottage somewhere on the beautiful island of Cape Cod, Mass., and as they crossed the Sagamore Bridge they would, as if on cue, begin to sing "That Old Cape Magic," their altered version of "That Old Black Magic."

Discussion Leader: Traude  

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
Re: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo ~ November
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »
WELCOME to our newly proposed discussion of Richard Russo's latest book, That Old  Cape Magic.

Last month,  Russo, the 2002 Pulitzer Prize winner (for Empire Falls), gave a well-attended reading in Sandwich on Cape Cod - affectionately known as The Cape - in loco.

Living as I do within manageable distance from the Cape, I was able to attend.   It was a marvelous evening.
Please join us in a vicarious journey to the fabled island.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo ~ Proposed
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »
That Old Cape Magic is a novel of deep introspection and every family feeling imaginable, with a middle-aged man confronting his parents and their failed marriage, his own troubled one, his daughter’s new life and, finally, what it was he thought he wanted and what in fact he has.

" what it was he thought he wanted and what in fact he has" .

This is  a subject that gets my attention every time.  Have you heard of this Pulitzer Prize-winning author's latest novel?  It sounds like a winner from those who have recommended it to us.  If you think you might like to join us in November, please let us know.  If enough are interested to form a quorum, we can put it on the schedule.

elizabeth84

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
I would like to join this discussion.  I just finished reading Russo's Nobody's Fool because I loved the movie and his book was all I could wish.  I'm glad Paul Newman made that film before he died--left at the top of his game.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Welcome, Elizabeth!  We're so glad you plan on joining us.
It's a safe bet that fans of Richard Russo's previous books will not be disappointed. That Old Cape Magic describes situations in which any of us could (and perhaps) have found ourselves.  We may perhaps also wonder, for example, whether happiness is a place or rather a state of mind.  

However, in order to make this proposed discussion a firm commitment for November, we need a quorum.  Please let us hear from you.  Thank you in advance.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »
I would like to join this discussion.  I loved "Empire Falls"  when I read it.   I am sure this will be a wonderful book.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »
Thank you, JoanG, and WELCOME!  I'm so glad we'll have the pleasure of your company and input.

serenesheila

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
Please add my name to the discussion.  I just bought a copy of this book, for my Kindle.  I have not seen any of Richard Russo's prior books turned into movies, nor have I watched "Empire Falls", on TV.

Sheila

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
WELCOME, Sheila !  Thank you for your interest in Richard Russo's newest book and our proposed discussion. It is so good to have another participant.  
I saw your message first thing this morning but had to rush off to cheer my 10-year old granddaughter  on in a soccer match. Her team won;  that has made me late. Sorry.

Gumtree

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 03:50:43 AM »
Hello again Traude : I bought a copy of 'Cape' yesterday - it just called out to me from the bookshop doorway and a few seconds later was tucked into my bag. I can't be sure that I'll be in the discussion as MDH's health is still giving cause for concern but by November things should be much better for him (and me too!).

The book looks interesting indeed - something to look forward to - as will be your account of the Russo's reading you attended.

BTW I see that Muriel Barbery has a new book out. Title escapes me.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 05:20:41 AM »
Title escapes me, too, but someone told me it takes place in the same building, and the main character is a chef.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
Yes, your memory serves you, Gum - Muriel Barbery's Gourmet Rhapsody is her newly published book - written nine years ago and recently translated and released here.  Does it sound interesting to you? (the title is a link describing the book.) Will you propose it in the Suggestion Box if you would like to see it considered for discussion?  I loved Elegance of the Hedgehog...

Traudee, if you are counting noses for quorum on Russo, count me in!

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
Many thanks for all the posts.

WELCOME, Gum,.  Thank you for your interest in the book and for considering to join us when circumstances have changed for the better. Renewed good wishes for your DH and for you.

JoanP,, special thanks for agreeing to be with us.  Of course I'm keeping a list of participants  :).
A few day ago I saw Sam Tanenhaus of the NYT interview Richard Russo in a brief news clip on line. Very
enjoyable.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
Good Morning!
It's a splendid one in New England.

JoanP,  yes, Muriel Barbery's first book,  Une gourmandise, came out in 2000,  in French only. Due to the success of The Elegance of the Hedgehog an English translation was decided upon and promiwed for this year.

The haughty food critic is the same M. Arthens who lived in 6 Rue de Grenell, where Mme. Michel toiled.  Apparently it is a slim volume of fewer than 200 pages.   It's bound to a very "tasty" book!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »
I can't promise, but I think I would like this book after reading the synopsis in the heading. It is the sort of plot I like as a rule. I haven't read Bridge of Sighs yet but I put it on my to read list.

I absolutely loved Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery and I raved about it to my daughter and grand daughter who didn't like it at all . Perhaps when they to get older they might appreciate it ;D. Definitely I will read Une Gourmandise, and oh! is the book about Mr. Arthens in Elegance? Well that should be a treat.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
WELCOLME, Éloïse, chėre amie, quel plaisir de vous voir ici.   What a pleasure to see you here.
Thank you for joining us. We seem to be well on our way to a quorum. And that's wonderful.

A book about mid-life, unplanned career changes,  new insights into the past, lessons to be learned late, and marriage when children leave the nest, can be satisfying because we may well have comparable experiences.

Yes, Une Gourmandise is about Monsieur Arthens at an earlier time in his life, the same Arthens who appears and dies in The Elegance of the Hedgehog.
I wonder if  Muriel Barbery is at work on a new book about Japan.

Thank you.

bellamarie

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
I just ordered this book and plan to participate in the discussion.  It sounds like a very interesting book.  I have not read any of Russo's previous books, so this will be a first for me.  I have always longed to visit Cape Cod and hope to in the near future.  Looking forward to Nov.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
I think you've made a great choice here in a book club selection.  I started it last night and I am intrigued by the premise of the book and some of the larger questions it raises, about all of us.

It's my first Russo, too, but it won't be the last. I like his style of writing, and the way he presents the characters, very deft, but at the same time...it's hard for me to decide WHAT he's doing but he's doing it very well.

Parents and children. Critical parents, particularly the mother. Aging. Apparently a marriage in trouble tho I'm not there yet. The props of "success," or success as some of our parents may have seen it. Well I won't discuss it before the opening bell, tho how you'll discuss it is a mystery. I can't wait to find out.

A great choice for a book club discussion, I hope to join in and at least read your comments, as there are things about this book I really want to hear opinions on.
May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »
WELCOME,  WELCOME,  to Bella Marie and Ginny.  I'm delighted that you are both going to be with us in November.  Thank you

Richard Russo is a prolific, compelling and, above all, a  versatile author and also a writing teacher -- traits he shares with  Jack Griffin, the main protagonist of That Old Cape Magic.  Russo's work is multi-faceted, always new and perfectly nuanced.

Here's a heads up for those of you who HAVE read Empire Falls and Bridge of Sighs.   That Old Cape Magic is different,  both stylistically and geographically.  

The style will come up in the discussion.   As for the geography,    
That Old Cape Magic is set on tony Cape  Cod and coastal Maine  (instead of in crumbling blue-collar factory towns). The main protagonist is a  comfortably-off, tenured middle-aged English professor, assessing his relationship with his father.  (The latter is a concern brought up also in Russo's 1997 Straight Man).
But  That Old Cape Magic [/i] addressess other concerns  as well and they will be familiar to readers.    

mrssherlock

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:50 PM »
I'm a Richard Russo virgin also but joining this group is a not-to-be-missed opportunity so count me in. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

salan

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »
Hello!  I am new to this web site and would love to join the Nov. discussion of That Old Cape Magic.  I have read Russo's Straight Man and Empire Falls and enjoy his style of writing.  I just checked out "Magic" from our library and the first chapter has already drawn me into the story.
What do I need to do to join this discussion group?  My name is Sally and am signed in as salanre.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »
Welcome, Sally! You don't have to do one more thing,  you're a member of the group which will start in November! You're IN!

The next time you come to the website look up in the left hand corner for two links which say  Show New Replies to YOUR Posts, right under your name: Welcome, Salan.. Click on the bottom  link, (not the top one, if you click the top one you get every post posted anywhere) and it will always bring you right here  to where you left off!

Right under that, on a blue bar, is the Discussion Index where you can check out everything we offer here.

Welcome, welcome, how did you find us?  And you've read two of his other books, too, you're ahead of me.

What part of the country (or world) are you from?

We are so glad to have you!!

May 13 is our last day of class for the 2023-2024 school year.  Ask about our Summer Reading Opportunities.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Hurrah!  Another Double Welcome !!
I apologize for its lateness, but here's the reason:  my grandson and granddaughter visited yesterday, and grandson immediately monopolized my computer for the duration of the visit to complement and finalize a literary essay (due today) with graphics and other technical flourishes of whose existence I remain, alas, totally unaware.

So,  WELCOME, Jackie;  WELCOME, Sally!  I'm happy you're joining the upcoming discussion.
And Sally,  if this is your first encounter with us, we hope you'll enjoy participating in our great group.

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
Oh we are always so happy to get new readers to join us Salan- welcome aboard!  Ginny gave great directions but also feel free to jump in with questions at any time.

Straude- I am going to buy Russo's book (Oct. is my birthday month- so I will splurge @ B & N here) and I am planning on entering the discussion.  November is a heavy travel month for me, but I will be here off and on to comment.  The premise and promise of deep introspectiion always arouses my interest.  Count me in (and out & in.)

Don't ask me why but I wasn't a great fan of The Bridge of Sighs.  Most likely, it was probably my mind set when I read it.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

salan

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:04 PM »
Thanks Ginny, Alf, and Straude for welcoming me.  I am looking forward to the upcoming session.  Ginny, thanks for giving me explicit instructions.  I am a techno-tard (my daughter's word for me) when it comes to computers so any helpful hints are appreciated. 

I live in a very small town in the beautiful (but hot) Texas hill country.  We have a small, but excellent (for its size) library; so sometimes there is a waiting list for current books.  I was lucky and had my name first on the list for the Russo book.
I do a lot of ordering from Amazon, but try to get used books and rarely buy hard backs.  Alf, I tried to read Bridge of Sighs, but couldn't get into it, either.

I found this site by googling "reading group discussions for seniors".  I am one of the founding members of our local reading group.  We have 12-15 members with ages ranging from mid 50's to 93!!  Most of us are in our 60's.   We make our selections at a yearly planning meeting.  We meet once a month and discuss one book.  I am looking forward to a more in depth discussion.

Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »
Sally:  May I add my welcome to the others?  You will find some fellow Texans here; check out the other discussions.  We read, and comment on,  more than one book at a time.  Some of us are compulsive readers; we have talked about starting a twelth step group for those of us who can't pass up a book store without going in, even though our TBR stacks reach the ceiling.   ;D
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Gumtree

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 03:53:57 AM »
Hi Sally - and Welcome. You've certainly come to the right place if you're wanting an in-depth discussion. The readers here are superb and catch just about every nuance there is to catch in the writing. Hope we see you around in the other discussions as well.

MrsSherlock: Can I be the first to enrol for the twelve step plan? ;D

ALF43

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 07:26:12 AM »
Not me!  Hell, I don't want to take that cure!
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
Hello, ALF, and a Big Welcome.   I'm so pleased that you plan on joining us despite your busy schedule.  I  just know you'll like the book.  And to splurge on a book on one's own birthday is perfectly fine IMHO :):)  Enjoy both-- the birthday and the book!

Sally,  books have been my steady companions since I taught myself to read a  lifetime ago. Like  you I have been in a live book group for many years, and it is a formative and a human  experience I would not have missed.  Our group has dwindled to 9, but we are still avid readers who cherish books and each other.   But the notoriously inclement weather in Massachuetts in the winter months has forced us to cancel meetings tat were not made up.  

Online discussions, on the other hand,  are not affected by the vagaries of weather, climate, or - for that matter - by time differences and geographic distance.  We are able to follow up to our heart's content on any given point 24/7 and benefit from the answers and insights of other participants for a whole month in a joint effort.  What could be better?
Thank you for being here.

ALF43

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »
Traude- not only does inclement weather interfere with face to face book clubs but disease, death and hardships in a family can make us miss our treasured discussions.
 As you mentioned, at SeniorLearn one can sit around in their "PJ'S" reading and rereading a thought. Oft times, Sally,  I find myself going back to a thought and taking the time to contemplate it the way that another on-line participant sees it.  It amazes me the way that an idea can be completley different.  I love that about our group because it matters not if one respectfully disagrees or not, we all pay attention to one another's thoughts.
  Face to face it is difficult to deliberate at length without fearing you are hogging the conversation.   

mrssherlock

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:42 PM »
I can't count how many times reading these comments has left me with an "Aha" or two.  That is why our discussions are so rich.  And the hogging issue is one that can throttle f2f discussions, especially when one is glib and the other must fumble for the right words.  Here it is truly democratic.  But addicting.
Jackie

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »
Plus let's face it, it's people you ne'er would meet, from all over everywhere, internationally and all walks of life, and  that makes for a very rich experience, indeed.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Sally, I'd love to know what the current 12-month list of books is.

Usually in a discussion the book is divided into segments, and each week we only talk about stuff up to that point.  People vary as to whether they read the whole book first or only up to where the discussion is.  Both have their advantages.

salan

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »
mrssherlock--no 12 step program for me!  I just counted the TBR books on my bookshelf (48 to date-not counting books I've saved to read again, or my ongoing list of library books to check out).  I'm afraid reading is an addiction that I am not willing to curtail.

PatH-We only select books for 10 months.  We use August for our yearly planning meeting and discussion and we do not meet in December, since members are either out of town or too busy with the holidays.  We just finished discussing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Everyone really liked the book and we had a lively discussion.  It may be the only book in 12 years that everyone agreed on.  This month we will discuss The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.  Other books we have chosen are:  The Thirteenth Tale by Setterfield, A Long Way from Chicago by Peck (a children's book), The story of Edgar Sawtelle by Wroblewski, Same Kind of Different as Me by Hall, The Help by Stockett, South of Broad by Conroy, Loving Frank by Horan and one of Mark Twain's books (reader's choice).  It should be an interesting year, don't you think?

Sally

bellamarie

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »
Welcome Sally,  I loved reading and discussing The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel  Pie Society on this site.  It was a wonderful book that I find has stayed with me.  I love SeniorLearn because it has enticed me to read books I would never have chosen on my own, such as Guernsey.  If I may introduce myself ......Hi my name is Marie, and I am a book reader addict.  No 12 step program will help me.  I love posting late at night in my PJ's and sipping warm hot cocoa in the cold weather.  I'd LOVE to participate in a f2f book club but I can barely make it to my weekly Wed. night Bible study, especially in the winter.  As Alf pointed out, we don't have to feel like we are hogging the time here at SeniorLearn, and everyone who has read and discussed a book with me can attest to the fact I do have a tendency to HOG!  LOLOL  I also LOVE the respectfully agree to disagree Alf pointed out.  I may be the one of the youngest members here, just turned 57, but it does not keep me from keeping up with all of you expert elders.   LOLOL  I intend to go buy myself a bookcase and bring all my cherished, treasured books out of the attic, and begin to enjoy having them in my presence.  I too will have a TBR stack.  LOLOL  Until I became a Senior Learn member I had never realized you could read more than one book at a time, you could begin a book and put it down, you could STOP reading one if you couldn't get into it, and you could reread a book if you really enjoyed it.  Imagine how boring and disciplined I was before learning this.......LOLOL  I look forward to Nov. 1
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Gumtree

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
Hi Bellamarie How nice it is to see you again. I think you're right to want to have those special books somewhere near to hand - while it's OK to put the run of the mill books aside I know I like those that have special meaning for me and are treasured for one reason or another  to be right up close and personal all the time. I might not look at them or turn them over very often but I like them to be there. After all, they're my old friends and share my history.

CallieOK

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
Hello,   I've just finished That Old Cape Magic and am "marking my spot" so I can return to the discussion here.

Welcome to Sally from a neighbor "north of the border" in Oklahoma.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »
Callie in OK,
It is a pleasure to see you; WELCOME to the group!
And you've finished the book! Super.

This is our November book for fiction.  We plan to begin the discussion proper on the 1st of November and carry through to the end  of that month.

I'm looking forward to your input and insights; all opinions and impressions are welcome.  Everyone should and will be heard. Please know that we are not looking for consensus.  I do not plan on making "definitive pronouncements" and demand "agreement" ...  it's not my style.  Instead I believe in amicable, fair discourse.

Happy reading!

CallieOK

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:58 PM »
Thank you, Traude.  I'm not a "newbie" and have looked in on other book discussions -  just don't always say very much.  I should probably change my i. d.  to A. Nony Mouse.  :)

I've read "Empire Falls" and enjoyed it very much.

Callie

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Callie,   yes, I well remember seeing your name.  Again, welcome.