Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 379516 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #1000 on: February 19, 2011, 06:50:29 PM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Steph

« Reply #1001 on: February 20, 2011, 06:28:35 AM »
Since I like Mercys writing, I am glad to hear she is going strong. She also does some cowritting with Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #1002 on: February 20, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
My goodness! I had no idea when I first started reading Lackey that
she was so much younger than I was. Good to hear she's alive and
lively! Thanks, PAT.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1003 on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
I found several of the elemental series on my swap club, so am waiting for them..Also ordered some Gamache books since I loved the first one, but Amazon is very very slow in sending them..No idea why.

Frybabe

« Reply #1004 on: February 21, 2011, 01:08:13 PM »
I bought my very first Kindle e-book the other day. It is the second in the StarDoc series by S. L. Viehl called, Beyond Varallan. What a difficult book to get a hold of - all the online book stores that I checked either didn't list it or had (and still have) it marked Backorder. I ordered the paperback copy at the end of December, but decided not to wait any longer. I wanted to read it before reading the rest of the series. Anyhow, I am enjoying this one even more than the first.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1005 on: February 21, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
Enjoy your kindle! I'm finding books I never would have gotten otherwise.

Steph

« Reply #1006 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
Me Too on my IPAD.. 3.99 for so many and .99 and even free.. I just keep putting them on, but I did one one, that said mystery, but it is a badly written romance type. ugh.. will just leave that one alone.. Dont think you can delete.

Babi

« Reply #1007 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:58 AM »
 Can't delete?  I don't think I'd care for that, especially with a book I
didn't like.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1008 on: February 24, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »
Picked up an old Alan Dean Foster..Glory Road. I thought I had read all of his, but must have missed this one. We are off on a road trek, which I have always enjoyed..

Babi

« Reply #1009 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »
 I remember reading a book titled "Glory Road", but it wasnt by Foster.
Wasn't the Heinlein book, either.  The one I read was by a woman
author whose name I can't remember just now, and was about the
pioneering journey to California, as I recall, and the life there.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1010 on: February 24, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
Obviously a good title, since everyone uses it.  Don't think I've read any of them.

Frybabe

« Reply #1011 on: February 24, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
Well, I am now starting my fourth StarDoc book. The heroine is infuriating! She is strong-willed, stubborn, and driven. She doesn't listen very well, and smarts off before giving anyone a chance to explain or inform her. Her mouth and her too quick emotional reactions get her and everyone around her in big trouble, but they get them out again - those that survive, that is. The action is over the top sometimes, and some of the alien characters seem a bit implausible. Never-the-less, I find the books hard to put down. A trained surgeon, she grew up believing she was the daughter of a renown scientist only to discover she was his prime experiment, a genetically enhanced clone and is considered property, not human. She escapes and must constantly be moving to keep from being captured. Her Creator (aka Dad) has a bounty on her for her return.

The author, S.L. Viehl, is ex-Air Force with a medical background.

Steph

« Reply #1012 on: February 25, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »
I love Space Opera types and will look her up.

roshanarose

« Reply #1013 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:54 AM »
Fybabe - I confess that I am completely ignorant of what "StarDoc" means.  ??? From what you have outlined it sounds like my kind of book.  I am now going to look up S.L. Viehl. 
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1014 on: February 25, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
Roshanarose, here's the link, if you haven's already gone there.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/v/s-l-viehl/

roshanarose

« Reply #1015 on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
Thanks a lot Pat.  A virtual feast :)
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1016 on: February 26, 2011, 08:49:13 AM »
Hmm, well, I can see, FRYBABE, where learning one was Daddy's cloned
property instead of his darling daughter might make one touchy. Do
you think she shows any signs of adjusting as time goes by?

Frybabe

« Reply #1017 on: February 26, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »
I am near the end of Shockball (book 4) now Babi, and no, not yet. The dastardly Dr. Daddy's twisted reasoning comes out in this book. The title refers to a rather brutal sports arena game. For those of us reading Empire of the Summer Moon, the author features Navajo Indians.

By the way, if you really want to read this series, it is best to read in sequence as the story is progressive. Also, Beyond Varallan (book 2) is very difficult to get new unless you do e-books. Used books are up on the net for sale, but with the postage as well as book price, I ended up getting it via my Kindle. I am unhappy with the shoddy proofreading done for these books; there are a lot more typo errors than I am used to seeing. I really felt like going in and re-editing my kindle book. So far Shockball is the worst in that department.

Steph

« Reply #1018 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
I found the first one in the series.. Space Doc and have sent for it.. My swap club had it.

Babi

« Reply #1019 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:25 AM »
 The shoddy proofreading in paperbacks has annoyed me for some time, FRYBABE. The more you tell me about this space doc series, the more I'm inclined to give it a pass.
  I'm currently reading a Charles deLint book that is beautifully
written, but is taking far too long to get anywhere. We seem to be
covering the same basic points over and over again. I've had enough
and am skipping to the point where things finally begin to come to
the point and resolution is in sight. I'm getting too old to waste
my reading time. :-\

Frybabe

« Reply #1020 on: February 27, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Yes, Babi, it is beyond me why I like reading the series what with all the inconsistencies, logic gaps, dangling threads, etc. It must be a fascination with "what is this brilliant idiot going to get herself into next". It is hard to believe that the author managed to write ten series books so far.

A program that was recommended to me a few years back, but I never say, is FireFly. I see the Science Channel is beginning the series shortly. I am not sure what channel showed it before. So now the Science Channel is running SciFi? Oh, and did anyone notice the programming changes on the Green Channel?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1021 on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
YES, Frybabe.  Watch Firefly if you possibly can.  It's very good.  The story continues with the movie Serenity, which came out about 2003.  Unlike some TV productions, it has the feel and assumptions of sci-fi right.  And the characters are people you care about, and the stories are good.  They string together in an overall story, but stand alone too.

Steph

« Reply #1022 on: February 28, 2011, 06:03:15 AM »
We had a fair amount of sci fi books in the book sale, but mostly the vampire stuff and for some reason Robert Jordan. No Anne McCaffrey, no Lois Bujold,or MarionZimmer Bradley or Terry Pratchett or Robert Asprin.. Science fiction readers never seem to donate their books. Even on my swap club, they are hard to find

Babi

« Reply #1023 on: February 28, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
 Science Channel? Got it. Thank goodness for recordings. 
 (Do you ever stop in the midst of all this fast growing technology
and remember "Brave New World"?)

I got three A.J. Salvatore pb's from the swap club, STEPH, but so
far I'm not too happy. The first book seems far too glib and shallow.
But maybe that's just to get things started. I'll see how the second
book holds up to decide whether to continue.

Steph

« Reply #1024 on: March 01, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »
The only Salvatore that I liked was " Tea with the Black Dragon" It was fun.

Babi

« Reply #1025 on: March 01, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
  I am still ambivalent about this Salvatore trilogy.  I do intend to proceed to book two before deciding.  What bothered me most was the
main character's idea that he should promote the idea of peace over
war by allowing the bad guy to beat hell out of him without fighting back.  If someone else hadn't killed the villain, Salvatore's hero would
have been dead. Not exactly an encouraging example.
  This, however, was background.  I believe the next book is going to feature the protagonist's daughter.

Maryemm

« Reply #1026 on: March 01, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »

Hello,Everyone,
Just found this section. I love science fiction and fantasy books.  Terry Pratchett is my all-time favourite author with his Disc world series though my favourite book is "Good Omens", co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Anyone else read it? If not, do try and get hold of a copy. You won't regret it. (famous last words!)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1027 on: March 01, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
Welcome, Maryemm!  This is a good place for you.  Most of us are Pratchett enthusiasts here.  "Good Omens" is on my TBR list--I can't imagine regretting anything he had a hand in.  Tell us what else you like, and we'll try to think of likely authors.  I've learned a lot from everyone here, and found new authors to like.

Steph

« Reply #1028 on: March 02, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
I love Pratchett and yes, I did read Good Omens, but my favorites are always the witches. Such a wonderful skewed look at witches. Great fun..
I also just now am in love with Miles in the Lois Bujold McMasters series..Sort of a space opera, but quite a different type of hero.
Just found Mercedes Lackey,, Elemental Magic series and am enjoying that as well.

Babi

« Reply #1029 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
 Lackey is always good.  I'm hoping my library will have that "Elemental
Magic" series.  All too often they will have only part of a series, leaving
an unbridgeable gap. I have complained about that....one of my rare
complaints with our library.

Steph

« Reply #1030 on: March 03, 2011, 06:08:31 AM »
I got the first three from the swap club..I bought the fourth one ( and the first I read) when sorting books for the book sale. Finished Glory Road last night.. A sort of road trip type sci fi,, funny mostly, but shallow

Maryemm

« Reply #1031 on: March 06, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
I always enjoyed the David Edding Trilogy, the Belgariad.

There seem to be LOTS of authors new to me mentioned in this section.  Will have to print off a list and visit the local Library.

Steph

« Reply #1032 on: March 07, 2011, 06:11:19 AM »
I picked up a Lynn Abbey at the book sale. The authors little note, says she lives in Leesburgh,Fl.. That is 20 minutes from my house.. Hmm.. I do like her. I wonder if she ever does readings..

Babi

« Reply #1033 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
 Not every one who writes..prose or poetry...can read it aloud and do
a good job of it.  I was once very disappointed to hear a favored poet
reading one of my favorite poems and really, to my mind at least,
making a hash of it.  :-\

Roxania

« Reply #1034 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
I'm enjoying the audiobook of Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games trilogy--Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  It's marketed as a young adult fiction because the heroine is a young girl, but it's a pretty decent dystopian series.

yvonne miller

« Reply #1035 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
I am more into "realistic" science fiction, but I must admit my favorite all time trilogy is C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy.  Since he was a theologian, he has included a great deal of Christain imagery in the books, but they are still magical without probing the underlying religious themes.  It is sort of an adult version of the Narnia Chronicles.

I am also an avid fan of both Clarke and Asimov.  Has anyone read anything by Jillian May?

Frybabe

« Reply #1036 on: March 07, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
Never heard of Jillian May.

Steph

« Reply #1037 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:50 AM »
I loved C.S Lew is trilogy.. Magical. I read it first as a young adult and had no idea he was into religion. It was simply a good story..Reread, I saw it all, but first,it was just a wonderful place to be.

Babi

« Reply #1038 on: March 08, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
I find a number of the YA sci/fi books are quite well written,
ROXANIA. A number of sci/fi writers write for that age group,
including the fabulous Pratchett.

Roxania

« Reply #1039 on: March 08, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
And Orson Scott Card--though "Ender's Game" was, I think, originally published as SF and then as YA.  I suspect Collins did write the "Hunger Games" trilogy as YA--it has the feel of something deliberately pitched to the young-- whereas Card and J. K. Rowling wrote their stories as they thought of them, and the publishers decided how to market them later.

I used to read a fair amount of science fiction and fantasy, but I fell off the wagon in the 1980's or so.  I'm getting back into it because I like things with plots.