Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 370724 times)

Steph

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #1280 on: January 18, 2012, 06:21:20 AM »

Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

There is also a Canadian woman.. " The gate to Womans Country" I love her books as well.. and of course Miles. who is my hero..ON the other hand, I got bogged down in the Space Doc series and put it away..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1281 on: January 23, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
Have you seen that Disney is coming out in March with a movie based on the John Carter series by Edgar Rice Burroughs?

There is a trailer http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/11/30/john-carter-trailer. The trailer doesn't captivate me but I was interested in the books enough to read the whole John Carter series after I found a couple of the books in a thrift store a couple of  years ago.

Frybabe

« Reply #1282 on: January 23, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
Interesting. No big names except maybe Willem Defoe. I recall Ciaran Hinds from other movies, too. The movie ought to have enough action for the kiddies. Too fast, but then the action is nonstop in the book too.  Not enough color (too many browns). I thought the green men would have had a bit more bulk to their warriors. Interesting artists rendition of the characters and creature of the books. Too bad they didn't stay still long enough in the trailer to get a good look.

Babi

« Reply #1283 on: January 24, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Sounds as though much of your criticism was due to the illustrator, FRYBABE.
I often have a problem with book illustrations that don't at all match the
author's description of the characters.  When is comes to Disney, tho', I've
never known his artists to fail in producing delightful charactizations.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1284 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
Yes, Frybabe, those green men in the trailer are are weirdly thin. The trailer zips by. I tried to put it on pause to see the creatures. I can't remember now how they were described in the books. It's interesting that the woman calls him "John Carter of Earth." The books refer to him as John Carter of Mars. I guess it depends on who is doing the naming (an earth person or Martian).

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1285 on: January 24, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »
Thanks for the trailer, marcie.  If some of the characters weren't green, it could be a Tarzan movie. :)  I know I've read at least one of the Mars series, but it was at least 60 years ago, and I don't remember anything about it.  Maybe I should reread some.  I'll wait for reviews to decide on the movie.

Ciaran Hinds is a favorite of mine.  I didn't spot him in the trailer, but from the name of his character maybe he's green too.

Frybabe

« Reply #1286 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
PatH, Tardos Mors is one of the Red Men of Mars. I forget just now if he is the father or grandfather of John Carter's Martian wife, Dejah Thoris.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1287 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
Hmm--I think I really had better read some Burroughs.  Anyway, I could really use an indictment against prejudice after slogging through "Ship of Fools", where everyone despises anyone who is even a little different and racial and religious prejudice and persecution are described in exquisite detail.  (Porter isn't condoning prejudice, but her descriptions are overwhelming.)

Steph

« Reply #1288 on: January 25, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »
You are giving the best explanation why I did not participate in Ship of Fools.. I tried it and could not get through it..So much hate and snobbery.

Babi

« Reply #1289 on: January 25, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
 I may just have to go back and re-read the John Carter series. It's simply
been too long ago.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1290 on: January 26, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »
Wrong spot, but I just saw a clip.. Janet Evanovichs firs novel was premiered as a movie last night. All they talked about was Kathryn Heigls dresss. Does not sound good for the movie.

Babi

« Reply #1291 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:40 AM »
 Oh, my.  That's all they had to say?  You're right,...it doesn't sound good.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1292 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
That's a bad omen, StephJoanK, the hard-core Evanovich fan, thinks Heigl is all wrong for the part.

I dug up my Burroughs Mars books.  I haven't ever read them; they're left over from a daughter.  I have books 4 through 9, and I suspect I ought to read them in order, so I'll have to search further.

Steph

« Reply #1293 on: January 27, 2012, 06:15:19 AM »
A lot of used book stores have the Mars series in paper.. Hopefully they are not in the rare category though.

Frybabe

« Reply #1294 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
Just finished Warlord of Mars. I got a little impatience with all the warring and fighting going on towards the end. A little over the top. Also, I got a little miffed at the hero for not recognizing a danger staring him right in the face, and his impulsive move that caused him more grief and fighting. Time to take a break from John Carter and read something else.

Babi

« Reply #1295 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »
 Were there that many John Carter books?!!  I had vaguely thought it was
about four; I don't remember nine!  Hmm..  I'm not at all sure I want to start
that.
  JOY!  My daughter Sally brought me a new Bujold book I haven't read! I've
been longing for something of hers.  It was published in 2010, so maybe it's
not  new to some of you.  STEPH, it's a Miles Vorkosigan!  Have you read
"Cryoburn"?  I've got to finish a library book before I start it, but you can bet
I'll finish that one asap.  (Well, the library book is good, too, but...BUJOLD!!)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1296 on: January 27, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »
Book 4 already seems to deal with John Carter's son.  It's got a wonderfully lurid cover (old 50 cent paperback).  I hope I can find a book 1 to match.

Frybabe

« Reply #1297 on: January 27, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
I have the five of them downloaded. Next up, I think, is Thuvia of Mars. The last one I have is Chessmen of Mars, but I don't think it is the last. When I am done with Chessmen I'll be checking for others.

Frybabe

« Reply #1298 on: January 27, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
A Princess of Mars is the first book, PatH. The second book is The Gods of Mars, and third is Warlords of Mars.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1299 on: January 28, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »
According to the following site, there are 11 John Carter novels! The first five are available for reading online there.

http://www.johncarterofmars.ca/books.html

Oh yes, PatH. Those covers are something else!! See http://www.johncarterofmars.ca/

Steph

« Reply #1300 on: January 28, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »
Covers for paperbacks in science fiction had so little to do with the book and so much to do with lurid type females.etc. There is a whole subculture in the used book world of people who collect certain types of covers.

Babi

« Reply #1301 on: January 28, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »
 For those lurid covers, I often suspect the artist has not so much as read the author's descripton of the characters.  The cover may look nothing whatsoever like them; all that matters
is the torn dress, the heaving bosom and the big, macho muscles! ::)

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1302 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Ed Fisher, a cartoonist one used to see in the New Yorker, once did a series of lurid cover designs for classics.  Thorstein Veblen's "The Theory of the Leisure Class" had the subtitle "an orgy of conspicuous consumption", and showed a decadent-looking orgy.  "Oliver Twist" has the subtitle "He was insatiable.  'More' he cried."  The picture showed two arms stretched out toward the torso of a very well endowed woman in a low cut dress.  You almost don't notice the bowl of porridge in her hands.

Babi

« Reply #1303 on: January 29, 2012, 08:15:22 AM »
 I'm so relieved to see that he was a cartoonist, PAT.  I can assume it was all tongue-in-cheek.
 :P   ;D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1304 on: January 29, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Yes, it was very much tongue-in-cheek.  I'm sorry I don't remember the others; they were all pretty funny.

Steph

« Reply #1305 on: January 30, 2012, 06:16:19 AM »
The historical romance novels are the funniest covers..All those heaving bosoms and long haired males..

Babi

« Reply #1306 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:10 AM »
 By a happy chance, I picked up a new book by Brian Herbert and Kevin
J. Anderson.  It is "Sisterhood of Dune"   It is about the formation of
'Dune' universe and particularly of the fascinating Bene Gesserit Sisterhood.  I am fervently hoping it comes at least close to being as
good as "Dune".
   Brian Herbert is the son of Frank Herbert, author of "Dune".

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1307 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
I doubt it will be as good as Dune, but it could be pretty interesting.  I'd love to know more about what went before.

Babi

« Reply #1308 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
 Yes, I think I found the parts about the Bene Gesserit the most
fascinating thing about Dune.  I can't really expect this book to be as
good as Dune,  I'm just hoping it won't disappoint.

Steph

« Reply #1309 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
Just picked up a new Patricia Briggs.. Riverbourne... I love this series.

Babi

« Reply #1310 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »
 I heard there was a new one out.  Val and I both read the Patricia
Briggs books.  If my library doesn't get it, I'll nudge them a bit.

Steph

« Reply #1311 on: February 19, 2012, 06:23:11 AM »
Oh Joy, I found a Terry Pratchett at the book sale, that I had not read. He is my treasure .. I love him and save him for depressed days..

Babi

« Reply #1312 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:33 AM »
Congratulations, STEPH.

I brought home a book, "Sisterhood of Dune", from the library. It is
supposed to be the story of the origin of the Gene Besserit, a group that I found most fascinating
in the original "Dune".  My reaction so far is mixed.  Parts of it seem to move very slowly, as
though still preparing for the main events.  My favorite character, appropriately enough,
is an Atreides.  That remarkable family was the center of "Dune".  I'm hoping the pace will pick
up shortly.

Steph

« Reply #1313 on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:27 AM »
I loved the original Dune and still reread it upon occasion, but most of the others just got more and more complicated.But like you I did like the sisterhood and may try that one.

Babi

« Reply #1314 on: February 20, 2012, 08:49:29 AM »
 STEPH,  I can't help asking...   Why would you re-read a book, even a good one, when you have
6+ boxes of books tbr?   :) ???

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1315 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30:01 PM »
BABI!!!!!!!!!!

I have books I've read a half dozen times, and I have books waiting (not 6 boxes of books, I admit)

my daughter says never buy a book that's not worth rereading!!

Steph

« Reply #1316 on: February 21, 2012, 06:28:58 AM »
Re read... I keep a certain amount of books in a small bookcase in my office.These are books that I treasure for one reason or another..I reread them all periodically. Some of them have valuable lessons for me and I tend to drift away from the core of what I want to be. The books remind me.
I have the six books tbr because I sort donated books for the library and a thrift place.. I simply cannot resist a bargain while sorting. Sigh..

Babi

« Reply #1317 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:51 AM »
 I, too, have bookcases full of books I'm reluctant to part with, and I do re-read one from time
to time.  But then,  I rarely acquire new ones.  I am entirely dependent on the libraries within
my reach.

Sadly,  I did not realize that "Sisterhood of Dune"  is book three of a trilogy.  It constantly
refers to past events, and I am sorely tempted to return it until I can find and read the first two.

Steph

« Reply #1318 on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »
Babi.. if you have thrift shops in your area, they are a good source for books. Very reasonable indeed.. Also of course our library has a small area where the friends put books.. you simple donate whatever you can when you take a book from there.

Babi

« Reply #1319 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:21 AM »
 Our library has a small 'sale' table also, STEPH, and I've bought some books there.  The local
thrift store also has some books, but as you said about many of the book sale donations, they
rarely have anything I want.