Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 380208 times)

Steph

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #1520 on: June 06, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

I cant find the Prophets, may have to netflix it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1521 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
I see we lost Ray Bradbury last night.  He was 91.

Frybabe

« Reply #1522 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
Oh Bummer! I like Ray Bradbury's stories.

HallieMae

« Reply #1523 on: June 06, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
I haven't found "Prophets of Science yet.  Darn it, I didn't know "Eureka" was not going to continue, it was a fun watch.  I'm trying to remember the title of another odd little show "Warehouse 13" I believe, it's another one that comes and goes.  Although I did watch it, "Battlestar Galactica", I really didn't like it too much.

Remember all the fuss made about "2001: A Space Odyssy" (sp?) that was Arthur C. Clarke's.  I read the book and it didn't seem as complicated as the movie with two sequels written. 

My introduction to sci/fi many years ago was Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" at least I think that was the one, I've read so many of his books.

Frybabe

« Reply #1524 on: June 06, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
I had read that Eureka was only going to run for five years a while back, but that can't be right. IMDB  lists the first season as 2006, so at the end of this season it will have run for seven years.

I don't remember the first scifi book I read, but Ray Bradbury's short stories and Fahrenheit 451 had to be among the first.

My introduction to Arthur C. Clarke was also a short story from about the same time period. It was printed in an issue of Playboy magazine, believe it or not. Did you ever read his Rendezvous with Rama? It is really good.

I never got into Battlestar Galactica. I much preferred Babylon 5.

Steph

« Reply #1525 on: June 07, 2012, 08:50:23 AM »
I loved the original Battlestar. Never watched the later one at all.
I am not a huge fan of most Sci fi on tv or movies.. Except for Star Trek, that is..and Star Wars..

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1526 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
My introduction to science fiction was reading Ray Bradbury. At 91, he lived a long and productive life. An article in the LA Times says, "The author also was known across the city as a beloved and familiar figure: supportive of the local literary and theater communities, a regular at bookstore readings and speaking engagements, a haunter of libraries and bookshops, and an enthusiastic promoter of the culture of reading." http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-bradbury-local-20120607,0,7302192.story

His website says: "In 2005, Bradbury published a book of essays titled Bradbury Speaks, in which he wrote: In my later years I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back. Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior." http://www.raybradbury.com/

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1527 on: June 07, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
There's another interesting article at http://www.boston.com/business/news/2012/06/07/digital-copy-the-martian-chronicles-mars/IEnXzDTNvlbPf1Pvj8AMCI/story.html

"Near the north pole of Mars, a piece of Ray Bradbury lives on, waiting to be discovered by someone in the future.

A digital copy of Bradbury’s ‘‘The Martian Chronicles’’ along with works by other science fiction legends was flown into space in 2007 by NASA’s Phoenix spacecraft, which touched down on the Martian arctic plains.

The Planetary Society wanted to put a time capsule on the red planet for future human explorers and sought permission from Bradbury to include his futuristic novel on a mini-DVD containing Mars-themed literature, art and music, and the names of 250,000 Earthlings."

HallieMae

« Reply #1528 on: June 07, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
Frybabe, I read "Rendevous With Rama" and I believe there was a sequel to it too.  For the life of me I can't remember a darn thing about it, blush!

I read "The Martian Chronicles" and saw the TV adaptation, several of those I do remember (:
Yes, I watched "Babylon 5" too.  I remember seeing the first "Star Wars", what an exciting movie that was!
I'm trying to remember the TV show where there was a big ring that exploded and you traveled to another planet.  I loved that show, the actor who played the lead always made amusing remarks which made the show so much fun to watch.

Egads, this memory of mine is getting awful!!!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1529 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »
The Martian Chronicles is composed of several short stories, and at least one of them was published in the Saturday Evening Post; I remember reading it there when it came out.

I went through an Arthur C. Clarke phase, and read most of his books, but Rendezvous with Rama escaped me until last year, when my f2f sci-fi book club read it.  It's a good "earthlings meet the artifacts of an alien culture they don't understand" book.  But already I don't remember much about it.  So you're not alone, HallieMae.

Frybabe

« Reply #1530 on: June 08, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
Hallie Mae, are you talking about StarGate?

Steph

« Reply #1531 on: June 08, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
I lked Clarke and read most of his stuff. He was a scientist also, so he was interesting in many ways..

HallieMae

« Reply #1532 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
Frybabe, yes, that's it.  Stargate and it's follow up show with the daring young pilot :D

PatH,  ::)

Frybabe

« Reply #1533 on: June 09, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »
I am into my third Andre Norton novel. I've noticed a pattern to her stories. They start out rather dull, to my mind, but after a few chapters I get more interested. The stories always have some interesting, unexpected twists. The one I am reading now, The Time Traders, seems to be a time travel (to the past only) and cold war combo.

Steph

« Reply #1534 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
My brain does not recall, but I know that she had long running series that I adored.. Possibly witches???

Frybabe

« Reply #1535 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
Yes, Steph, she did a series on witches too.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n/andre-norton/

Babi

« Reply #1536 on: June 11, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »
 I visited the Andre Norton link, FRYBABE.  Amazing! I had no idea 'Andre' Norton was
so prolific a writer.  Looked to me like there were two 'witch' series, as well as a
great many others.  I know our library doesn't carry that many; I'm curious now to
know which series they might have.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #1537 on: June 11, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
I would bet that a lot of the books are out of print..I remember reading her many years ago.

Frybabe

« Reply #1538 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
Some of Norton's books are now in public domain and listed in ManyBooks and Gutenberg. It appears that there was an estate fight regarding her copyrights spanning four years at least. Here is a comment on her official site, which does not appear to be updated for quite a while. http://www.andre-norton.org/news/copyrightssettled.html  Stewart was apparently a companion/caregiver. I don't know Mr. Horadam's relation to Norton.

There have been a few "Ominbus" and Collection books published since her death. Here is another bibliography which includes her short stories published in various other books and magazines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliography_of_Andre_Norton It looks slightly more extensive than the FF site listing.

I just ordered two of the really old novels from my library. The first Solar Queen novel and the second Time Trader novel, neither of which are on the free ebook sites - yet. I was surprised to see the library had them.

Frybabe

« Reply #1539 on: June 11, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
I posted this earlier in The Library, but decided it was appropriate for here too.

Okay, this is truly creepy (to say the least). "Insight: Intel's plans for virtual TV come into focus" http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/08/us-intel-tv-idUSBRE85706Q20120608 It reminds me of 1984, Fahrenheit 451 (with it's interactive wall TV where you can become part of the on air story), The Prisoner, and other Scifi of the same ilk.

Frybabe

« Reply #1540 on: June 14, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
I've been reading Halo: The Fall of Reach written by Eric Nylund. Since it was conceived as part of a promotional for the video game Halo (trademark of Microsoft), I wasn't expecting much. I am pleasantly surprised though, and expect to pick up more later. I forget how many books there are in the series so far, but Nylund wrote several, Greg Bear wrote several, and there are other writers (who are unfamiliar to me) too. It will be interesting to see if the different writing styles are pronounced among the different writers. Too bad the movie deal fell through some years back, I just love the graphics. No, I don't play the video game, nor have I seen it in action.

My two Andre Norton books came into the library today, so I have started one of those also. I am on a real scifi kick these days.

Babi

« Reply #1541 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:28 AM »
 I want to pick up an Andre Norton, too, but since I'm presently reading three different books due
to upcoming dicussions, and need to find and start a fourth, that's going to have to wait.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1542 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:09 AM »
Things tend to bunch up, don't they.  I had to finish up 2 books by yesterday for my f2f sci-fi/fantasy club.  One was Sheri Tepper's The Gate to Women's Country.  I hadn't read any of her stuff before.  This one is quite good, though a type of book I find depressing--a post-apocalyptic world, with a society trying to survive, recover, and grow back with what resources and technology they have left.  In this one, the women live in small cities, doing the agriculture, medicine and technology, and the men live in army camps outside the gates.  A ritual play, Iphigenia at Ilium, is performed every year, and as more of it is revealed throughout the book, it contains keys as to what is really going on.  Since I'm full of Greek plays at the moment, I was well-primed for this, and noticed a definite mood of ancient Greece in the society.  So, good but definitely not cheery.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1543 on: June 15, 2012, 08:43:58 AM »
Babi, I can guess three, but what's the fourth?

Steph

« Reply #1544 on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »
I love Tepper and have read The Guide to Womens country several times. It says interesing things in a different sort of way.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1545 on: June 15, 2012, 09:01:15 AM »
Oh, good, Steph.  You can tell me which book to read next.

Steph

« Reply #1546 on: June 16, 2012, 08:33:56 AM »
I just love Tepper and have read most of her stuff. She is a very strong feminist.

HallieMae

« Reply #1547 on: June 16, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
I'm still stuck in "London", not having the capability of reading more than one book at a time :)  I also got two "free Friday" books, one about the Amish and one a detective story.  When I'm finally done with all that I will be looking for a good sci/fi book!

Frybabe

« Reply #1548 on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
Darn, I always forget about the Free Book Friday.

Babi

« Reply #1549 on: June 16, 2012, 09:57:40 AM »
Pat, I was referring to the Dickens and Patchett books, plus one I was already reading
for my own entertainment, The 'fourth' I needed to start was 'Iphigenia..'. By the way,
had you noticed that "Run" takes place over a 24-hr period, just like the ancient Grecian
tragedies?  Unusual, for a modern book.

Steph

« Reply #1550 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »
Amreading a new Sharon Shinn ( new to me), it is another in the Alleluia series. Interesting, but long.

Babi

« Reply #1551 on: July 15, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
  I am reading what must be Terry Pratchett's last book, "The Long Earth", co-authored with Stephen Baxter.   Sadly, it appears to me that most of the writing is Baxter's.  Not that he isn't a good writer, but his writing is different from T.P.'s.    I am pleased when I come across bits that I recognize at once, exclaiming with considerable delight, "Now that's Terry! That's pure Pratchett!"

Steph

« Reply #1552 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »
The Long Earth, I will try and remember the title..I dolove Terry's writing so much.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1553 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
This month's f2f sci-fi selection was Ernest Cline's Ready Player One.  It takes place in a dreary future, everyone poor, and escaping their reality by spending every spare moment in a virtual world.  Many of them are absorbed in an elaborate game to try to win the immense fortune of the man who invented the world.  Clues are all from pop culture of the '80s, mostly the early computer games, but also movies, music, comic book characters, etc.  It's essentially one long trivia game, and we know from the start that the narrator has gotten the prize, but Cline makes a suspenseful tale of it, and it's a quick read.  I'm not quite sure whether he's writing for young adults or people who remember that stuff first hand, but somebody's reading it; it's quite popular, and has been snapped up for a movie.

The fantasy selection was Marian Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, which somehow I've never read.  I didn't this time either--it's almost 900 pages, and I knew I would never have time to finish it.  But now I own the book, and will get to it when I can.  I suspect I have a treat in store for me.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1554 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
Next month's selection is Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle, an alternative history in which the other side won WWII.  I've tried to read that book four times, and never gotten very far in it.  At least I own it, so won't have to spend any money to give it another try.  The fantasy book is a new one, available only as an ebook, hence inaccessible to me.  I might end up skipping next month.

Steph

« Reply #1555 on: July 17, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
The whole Avalon series by Bradley is good..Quite different though. I dislike Philip K. Dick. He writesthe kind of sci fi that I never read..So no go for him.I saw a book the other day that was authored by Bradley and some one I never heard of. Since she died sometime ago, this is possibly a  book she did not finish..

Frybabe

« Reply #1556 on: July 17, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
I believe that Dick was a paranoid schizophrenic, and that probably reflected in his works. I can't remember if I read any of his stuff. There is one downloaded to my Kindle, TBR. Alternative histories don't generally appeal to me, except Jasper Fford's Thursday Next series. Those are fun if I space out the books a bit. Otherwise, they get a bit much.

Babi

« Reply #1557 on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
You do, PatH. I greatly enjoyed "The Mists of AValon".  Of course, that's been many years
ago, so I might possibly be less enthralled with it now. If it's as good as I remember, I
suspect the pages will fly by quicker than you might think.

Depressing 'future worlds' never did appeal to me. I decline to read them now. I don't
even like the 'post-apocalyptic' TV series.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1558 on: July 17, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
Whatever his clinical diagnosis, the books of Dick's I've read seem as though he was stoned when he wrote them, which I believe was the case.

Steph

« Reply #1559 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
Dick is classic for a certain type of sci fi writer. He is beloved by certain humans.. But not all.