Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 359564 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #3120 on: September 18, 2018, 11:24:32 AM »
Come to think of it, I'm somewhat like that too.  But Miles has the gift of recognizing the tactical moment, the one chance you have to take because it won't come again, and I don't.

Frybabe

« Reply #3121 on: September 23, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
I have to say that I laughed more reading Captain Vorpatril's Alliance than I did with Diplomatic Immunity. The snarky interplay between Byerly and Ivan (and Ivan's comments to himself) kept me amused. The cats might have thought me a bit odd when I startled them several times by heartily laughing out loud.

On Chapter 6 of Falling Free and finding it interesting. Just this morning, Cryoburn became available to listen to. I am not sure, but I think the only one left now is Captain Jole and the Red Queen which takes us back to Cordelia as the main character.

So, now that I am almost caught up on the Vorkosigans, I checked in on the Liaden Universe. It looks like the next full novel is due to release this coming January. It will be called Accepting the Lance. In the meantime, it looks like they've added a few novellas and short story anthologies. Those short story anthologies always require a careful look at before buying to keep from duplicating stories I already have. They seem to like to include some previously printing stories from earlier publications.

Ready to start a new series by Elizabeth Bonesteel. The first of the Central Corps novels starts with The Cold Between Us. It is billed as a mystery/romance scifi.

Jack McDevitt's latest book, A Voice in the Night, out since Aug. 31 is a bunch of short stories. I was interested to see the Amazon blurb says that McDevitt was greatly influenced by Chesterton's Father Brown books.

Jack Campbell's next Genesis Fleet, Triumphant, will be released in May of next year. Sigh! In the meantime, he has been spending some time on writing another fantasy series involving dragons for the YA age group.

Frybabe

« Reply #3122 on: September 24, 2018, 06:03:54 AM »
I tried to read John Scalzi's bizarre novella, only a little less than 140 pages, The God Engines. The story seems to be about faith, hypocrisy, testing faith.  Set on a spaceship which is apparently powered by a lesser god. The shipboard priest acts as what we could think of as a political officer making sure that the crew is adhering to their faith in the main god. The lesser god (along with other lesser gods on other ships) tries to rebel and suborn the crew. Much of the dialogue is between this lesser god, the priest and the captain of the ship. I stopped reading at page 37, but the darn book is calling me back. I actually picture the ship more like a galleon in the era of the Inquisition that a spaceship. So far, I have not discovered how the lesser god actually powers the ship.

Frybabe

« Reply #3123 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
Finished Cryoburn but it wasn't too appealing. I do think Falling Free is interesting.

Elizabeth Bonesteel's The Cold Between, so far, isn't too appealing either. It is supposed to be a military scifi, but so far, seems more like a romance. The lead female character spends a lot of time ruminating over several former affairs, and has a mildly erotic encounter with a man who is/was a member of a group that is looked on with suspicion and bigotry. No real science, so far, in this book. Military structure and protocols seem to be very lax. There are some odd goings on and a murder that may or may not be related to them that are just beginning to cause concern. Maybe it will pick up some. I'll read a little longer, but not sure I will finish it. This is the author's first novel and the beginning of a series.

Frybabe

« Reply #3124 on: September 28, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »
I've started watching The Expanse beginning with season 1 and have put on hold the first book of the series that inspired the TV series. Also on hold is Pierce Brown's Red Rising in audio format.

John Scalzi's second of his new Interdependency series, called The Consuming Fire, is due to release on Oct 16. I thought the first, The Collapsing Empire, interesting but not as exciting as the Old Man's War series. It is set in the same universe.

I started Matthew Mather's Cyberstorm, which starts out with family tension between a husband and wife. She is looking for a job and he is, I believe, a hedge fund manager or something like. So far, not interesting except for how Mather intersperses newscast items in the background with the tension filled conversations/arguments between hubby and wife. I hope the story picks up soon.

Frybabe

« Reply #3125 on: September 30, 2018, 07:30:01 AM »
New anthology of classic SciFi written by women will be released in just over a week. The Future is Female. http://womensf.loa.org/

Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture .  Non-fiction. This is the book I have on hold. It should arrive at the library for pickup on Monday. There are other books on Afrofuturism, including a some SciFi anthologies which I plan on looking into later.

Frybabe

« Reply #3126 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Peter F. Hamilton just last month released the first of his new Salvation Sequence series called, what else, Salvation. I have his Pandora's Star (Commonwealth 8 book series) on my library wish list.

While I am interested in this new series, I want to read the Commonwealth series first. Also, I have have Corey's Pandora's Star on hold, which is the inspiration for the Expanse TV series (or so I read somewhere). I have just watched the first to episodes of the first season so far.

So much reading, so little time.

Frybabe

« Reply #3127 on: October 05, 2018, 07:37:55 AM »
Another author to add to my list of SciFi books to find: Julie E. Czerneda. I am not yet familiar with her books, but her Web Shifter's Library series looks like a fun read.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3128 on: October 05, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
"So much reading, so little time."
Actually, Frybabe, I continue to be amazed at how many books you do find time to read.

Frybabe

« Reply #3129 on: October 07, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
That, Pat, is because I don't do a whole lot else. I am home most of the time with the cats. I don't socialize much except for my sisters and George, and I am comfortable with that.

At any rate, the last four books I picked up from the library went back without being finished, including Afrofuturism.... I don't think I was in the mood for that one just yet, and I disagreed with one of her premises (assuming I interpreted her correctly) that the few blacks in SciFi were treated as villains; she pointed to some old SciFi movies as examples. Meanwhile, what I discovered is that even with some of the older SciFi books, that Blacks did place some major supporting roles, if not the lead, in quite a few books. This going back to at least the 80's (and don't forget Star Trek from the mid-60's on, where Blacks were major players). Most of the books described characters with black hair and eyes with various shades of colors such as mahogany, mocha, dark-skin, though, rather than just come out and say Black. Of course, much of my SciFi reading involves military so I think the books reflect that there are a lot of Blacks in the military. I don't recall reading any books where Blacks were portrayed as villains. I think if she was using the old movies as an example, then she should look to the casting crew rather than the intent of the writer. Many writers simply decline to describe any of their characters as white, black or pink with purple stripes and yellow polka-dots, leaving the reader wide-open to imagine the characters any way they want. You can bet any of the old SciFi stories I read now, I will be on the lookout for such discrimination. Maybe she is looking for SciFi where blackness is writ large; she may have a point there. At any rate, I plan on going back to the book and giving it another chance in the future. Like many books, I just didn't read far enough into it for it to "catch" me.

Right now, I am reading the first three of Raymond Weil's Galactic Empire Wars series. The story is interesting, but there are a lot of "holes" where the science and technology is just "there" without any description of how they managed it all. Like, how do they manage to manufacture things or build things when the earth is no longer a support source. Other than taking sending crews to scavenge what they can from an Earth in the throes of a nuclear winter/deep ice age, there is no (or so very little) mention of how they manage to develop/manufacture what they need to build ships, building materials, and everything else in what appears to be a very short time to make room for refugees from the planet. Oh, and then there is the English. I thought i would scream if I say just one more "lucrative" which was very frequent in the first half of the first chapter. And from then on, the author seemed to be in love with "upon" instead of "on" no matter what. My I am getting so picky. Nevertheless, the human interest and basic story-line is good.

It looks like Pierce Brown's Red Rising and James Corey's Pandora's Star will be a while in the hold cue.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3130 on: October 07, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
I don't see Blacks in sci-fi as being mostly villains either.  You do see some self-conscious pointing out that a character is black to show the author isn't prejudiced.

Early sci-fi for me starts in the mid 1940s, when I started reading it as a kid.  The problem for me wasn't blacks, it was females.  If I identified with a character, it was almost always a male, since the women never did much except get rescued.

Frybabe

« Reply #3131 on: October 11, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
I am starting John Scalzi's Head On today. The sports theme is something of a put-off for me, but since it is a sequel to Lock In, I decided to give it a try.

Frybabe

« Reply #3132 on: October 28, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
I see I am behind in my postings.

Okay then. Head On by John Scalzi. I finished that a while back. Scalzi did not disappoint. In this one, he and his partner try to determine if the supposed suicide of a sports figure was in fact a suicide, and if not, how he was murdered and who did it. The sport itself is fictional but is interesting because Haydens victims control real live robots playing on a real field in front of real fans. Big money has taken notice of the growing number of sports fans and are sponsoring different teams. There are also those who want the teams opened to non-Hayden's players. Plenty of possible suspects.

I do hope he writes more of his Lock-In series. The series is a SiFi police procedural which follows FBI agents Chris Shane and his partner Leslie Vann. Chris' body is confined to a hospital bed, but he gets around via a neural link to robots and the internet. His partner, Leslie, is also a victim of Hayden's Syndrome (similiar to the real-life Locked-In Syndrome, also called pseudocoma) but has recovered her ability to function more or less normally.

Now I am reading James S. A. Corey's first book in The Expanse series called Leviathan Wakes. I am enjoying it every bit as much as the first two seasons of the TV series (which is based on the books, not the other way around). Season 3 of the TV series is pay to watch. Amazon has picked up Season 4. I am not sure when they will start releasing episodes or if they will charge. I don't think they have charged for any of their originals yet, but I expect this might be an exception.  Back to the book. The first book, unlike the TV series, just follows Jim Holden and crew. The TV series intersperses the different factions; I expect the next book will follow a different faction. There are some minor differences between the book and the TV show; none change the flow of or the emphasis of the book's story-- so far.

I've got Jack McDevitt's A Voice in the Night which is a book of his short stories. It includes one or two about Priscilla Hutchens and Alex Benedict. I am especially keen to read the one with Alex and Chase. It might be a while until I get to it though.

That's about it for now.

Frybabe

« Reply #3133 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
For fantasy fans and especially Ursula K. Le Guin fans, Simon and Schuster just released (Oct. 30) a complete illustrated anniversary edition of the Earthsea series. http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Books-of-Earthsea/Ursula-K-Le-Guin/Earthsea-Cycle/9781481465588?cp_type=end&rmid=20181104_TheBooksOfEarthsea&rrid=8613437 The book includes the Intro, seven novels and five short stories.

I've just started the second book of the Expanse series. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3134 on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
I got Leviathan Wakes a few years ago for a book club, and ended up getting impatient with it and skipping around some--not a good plan with this kind of story line.  Pulling it out to re-check it after your post, I find I like it better.  I'm still skipping around some, missing a lot of the earlier parts about Miller.  (I'm not much of a noir fan.) In an interview in the back of the book, Corey says he deliberately constructed Holden and Miller to have their opposite views of the ethical use of information: Holden, the idealist, the "holy fool", who thinks if people have all the information they'll do the right thing, and Miller, the cynic, who uses information as a tool to manipulate people, and doesn't trust anyone else's call.  He puts them together so they can argue, and feels they're both right and they're both wrong.

I can see all sorts of ways further books could go.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3135 on: November 04, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
I've got four of the Earthsea novels, and I thought I had the short stories, but don't see them on my shelf.  Probably in a pile somewhere.

I picked up Head On at the library, but will have to wait a few days to start it.  I'm allergic to perfumes, and about half the books I borrow, smell of the same scent.  The librarians claim they don't know where it comes from.  Usually a few days with the book propped up, fanned open, takes care of it, though once I had to put a book inside a plastic bag to read.

Frybabe

« Reply #3136 on: November 06, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »
Pat, I noticed that the later part of Book 1 and definitely in Book 2 of the Expanse series, the narrative diverges more between the books and the TV program. Both are done very well and reading the books is helping to explain a few things in the TV program. I honestly can't say which I like better the TV version or the book version of the temporarily diverging parts. This has only happened to me two or three times during my reading life.

I've got two more SciFi series books waiting patiently in in wings, the Expeditionary Force series and the Galaxy's Edge series. I can read both free from my Amazon Lending Library, but it will take quite a while as it only lets me download one a month. My sister is listening to one of the series on Audiobook and recommends it; I forget which one.

Right now I am getting used to a new pair of glases. There isn't too much difference from my old in the prescription, so it shouldn't take long.

Frybabe

« Reply #3137 on: November 06, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
The 2018 British Fantasy Awards list and winners:

https://www.sffworld.com/2018/10/news-british-fantasy-awards-2018/

I recognize two authors and three titles (none of which I've read) on the list. Oh, and two of the TV/Movie titles, also not seen.

Frybabe

« Reply #3138 on: November 07, 2018, 07:13:23 AM »
Okay, I don't want to get too hung up on The Expanse, but I did discover this analysis of the persons and governments represented in the series. It is interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjrI0YvZYA It looks like someone has gone to the trouble to explain the books/seasons and also did a comparison of the books to the show. I may actually look at those later, although I pretty much don't need an "interpreter", at least not for the first to books which are basically books 1 and 2. I think the two kind of go together to fill in gaps in both the TV series and the books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3139 on: November 07, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the video--a useful summary.  The characters I've met so far don't look much like I pictured them, but that's a common problem.

Frybabe

« Reply #3140 on: November 07, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »
The TV production didn't follow the description of the characters very well.

Bummer, it's clouded up here, again. Fortunately it was clear early this morning so I took me and my new glasses outside to look the stars before the sun came up.

Frybabe

« Reply #3141 on: November 24, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
Yea! Yea! Jack McDevitt has a new Alex Benedict book being released next spring. Can't wait.

Just downloaded the third in series of the Expanse. Been watching clips on YouTube.

Frybabe

« Reply #3142 on: November 30, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Did you know that Dan Simmons, the guy who wrote the Hyperion series, also wrote The Terror which was recently made into a TV mini-series?

I must be slipping. I just picked up two first of series FANTASY Audiobooks: Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan and Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. Also, I downloaded a free offering of the first three books of The Emperor's Edge series by Lindsay Buroker. The one I've just started reading is called The Fortune Chronicles (boxed set) by Kathleen McClure. I am not sure if this is Science Fiction or Fantasy. it looks like it might be a cross-over.

Frybabe

« Reply #3143 on: December 03, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that The Fortune Chronicles series I am reading is in the Steampunk genre. Very well written and edited.  Fortune, BTW, is the name of the planet with almost all place names taken from corporations, like the City of Nike, where most of the action in the first book takes place. Aside from being well written, the characters are very likeable. The conversational style, including the periodic 'talking to one's self' episodes make for a fun read.

The first book focuses on Gideon Quinn, set up and wrongly accused of treason. The second focuses on John Pitte and his crew of an cargo airship called The Errant. John was relieved of command of a warship and dishonorably discharged for disobeying an order to shot at Quinn's squad who were fighting on the same side. These stories intertwine in both books a little. I expect a similar relationship with the third book I have yet to read.

Frybabe

« Reply #3144 on: December 15, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
I just finished the first of another series written by Kathleen McClure and have come to the conclusion that I like her characters and her stories. This one is the first, and so far the only, of her Zodiac Division series. There is a book of two short prequels for the Zodiac Division which which she dubs Operative Histories.

In the Zodiac Files series both protagonists, Ray and Harry, are former military that are now operatives for ConFed Intelligence. Harry is more the straight forward spy/intelligence gathering type, while Ray is ostensibly a Space Marshall but is covertly person finder and, I take it, an assassin, depending on the assignment.

I expect to be reading more of McClure's books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3145 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
McClure sounds like an author I would like, and I could use a new series.

I've been trying to read Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.  It's supposed to be his best, and for somehow I never got around to it.  I'm not getting very far with it now, though.  The premise is interesting enough: social scientists have predicted a collapse of the galactic empire, followed by a lengthy dark period, similar to what happened to Europe when the Roman Empire collapsed.  The story deals with a group effort to limit the length of the dark period by preserving knowledge.  But the writing is a bit clunky, and the book is dated, and it doesn't hold my interest.  Maybe some other time.

I recovered by reading Scalzi's Head On.  Like you, I found it a very good read.

Frybabe

« Reply #3146 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:55 AM »
PatH, I discovered that McClure only has two books out so far of the Fortune series and a short story or two. The Zodiac series consists of one book so far and a short story. She also has a few other short stories available.

Frybabe

« Reply #3147 on: December 17, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
Wow, my library system was amazingly quick to pick up multiple copies of John Scalzi's second of his new Collapsing Empire series, The Consuming Fire, and Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Moon. I noticed that just about every library in our system, except my local one, has both books which were just released in mid-October.

Frybabe

« Reply #3148 on: December 23, 2018, 05:42:45 AM »
The Collapsing Empire is now history. I finished reading it yesterday. Well written story, but be warned that two of the characters cannot speak without every other word beginning with F (only a slight exaggeration here), and a bit more ruthless violence than I remember from his other series books. There were several short spots that reminded me of scenarios from other author's books, which raised my eyebrows a little. Of course, I can't pick them out now.  While I couldn't put it down, it didn't strike me as anything special. In other words, while Scalzi's writing, as always, is a pleasure to read, palace intrigues and political maneuvering are not my favorite subjects, and that is mostly what this book focuses on. The cast of characters include those who want to find out as much as possible about the predicted collapse of their interstellar transportation system (the Flow) so that they can make plans and adjustments to help as many as possible to survive it, those who would use the upheaval to gain power and wealth, and those who refuse to believe the predictions and want things to stay the same (ostrich head in sand syndrome) -- until they aren't. Interesting that many of the power players are women. The book is a necessary element to what comes next in the series.

Next up is Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Moon which has me hooked from the start. Other than that, I can't say anything about it yet.

Frybabe

« Reply #3149 on: December 24, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
Okay, this is a little exciting and scary at the same time. I've read a few SciFi stories using something similar to this. It is called Optogenetics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYx3Lix4LaU

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3150 on: December 25, 2018, 04:43:27 PM »
It is scary, and it's hard for me to believe they can be precise enough, but who knows?

Frybabe

« Reply #3151 on: December 26, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »
PatH, I learned little later yesterday that human trials for this were approved in 2016 to help blind people to see again. I remember something about that, but didn't know it by the name optogenetics. I'll have to research into it more. Meanwhile, I found this interesting article written for the younger set and more my speed these days for understanding the basic concept.  I just love the color illustrations. https://kids.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/frym.2017.00051

Frybabe

« Reply #3152 on: December 29, 2018, 07:19:12 AM »
I am about half-way through Robinson's Red Moon but may quit before finishing. I wouldn't call this primarily a SciFi but rather a Social/Political Thriller (and not very thrilling at that). It does include scenes on the Moon, a main character who is a technician for a high tech company (and who is into quantum mechanics), and an AI. The AI is a passive observer tracking the movements of the tech unbeknownst to him. I can't discern a reason for the tracking other than as training for the AI to become more intuitive and forward thinking, and to make more accurate predictions.  A lot of the story is just following the two main characters around as they flee from those who would do them harm. The other main character is a TV celebrity and poet. All three of these main characters spend too much time, IMO, in social, political or philosophical conversations. In other words lots of filler that doesn't seem very pertinent to the action.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3153 on: December 29, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the warning, Frybabe.  Definitely doesn't sound like my kind of thing.

I'm still visiting JoanK and having a blast.  You can probably hear our laughter.  One of my great nephews mentioned H. P. Lovecraft yesterday, which reminded me I haven't read the latest two in Charles Stross' series.  Theyy were getting less interesting, but I really ought to persist and find out if the world gets taken over by horrible monsters from other universes.

Frybabe

« Reply #3154 on: January 01, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »
Well, I did go and finish the darn book. I was geting mighty tired of reading yet another "I don't know" from one or another character, the AI seemed to fade into the background near the end leaving me to wonder what the real why it had such a promonent part in the beginning, and without any mention of how, the bad guys kept finding the two "runners" who kept moving around to avoid capture. One more notch against it; it had a non-ending.

One bright spot is a poem on pages 343-344 called "Source of the Peach Blossom Stream" by Wang Wei. This translation is so much nicer than the other translations if found variously also under the titles, "The Peach Blossom Spring", "Song of the Peach Blossom River", "Peach Blossom Journey", "Journey to the Source of the Peach Blossom River", "Source of the Peach Blossom Stream", and who knows how many other variations. Each translation has slight variations, but I like the tranlastion in Red Moon the best.

The fourth of the Expanse series books, Cibola Burn, just became available. And, as this is the first of the month, i now have two more Kindle borrows to read. Both are first of series that my sister recommended. I did listen to the Audible versions and loved the narration, but free is better, so now I have Legionaire (Galaxy's Edge Book 1) by Craig Alanson and Colombus Day (Expeditionary Force Book 1) by Jason Anspach.

Frybabe

« Reply #3155 on: January 21, 2019, 07:19:13 AM »
I can't believe it has been over a month since I posted here. I've gone through a couple of good, but nothing particularly special, SciFi's and several other genre books.

This morning I ran across Yevgeny Zamyatin. Have you heard of him? His SciFi, We, is credited with directly inspiring Aldus Huxley's Brave New World and George Orwell's 1984, among others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Zamyatin I checked, Amazon had lots of We translations and at least one analysis of the book, as well as a book of his essays. I doubt my library has a copy, but I will check. It is going on my read list.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #3156 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Frybabe, I haven't posted here recently either.  I've mostly been rereading, which doesn't make for conversation.

Yes, I knew of Zamyatin's We.  I just pulled out my copy, which I originally bought for daughter Cathy.  I haven't read it, partly because the translation seems stodgy.  Maybe now's the time.

I have read some other Russian sci fi, and I like Sergei Lukyanenko's fantasy series starting with Night Watch.  Imagine the traditional conflict of good versus evil, spells, vampires, magic powers, etc., reduced to opposing bureaucracies following strict rules.  I saw the Russian movies made of the first two--enjoyable, though not following the books at all closely.

Frybabe

« Reply #3157 on: January 23, 2019, 06:54:39 AM »
I'll look for Lukyanenko's writings, then too. The only Russian stories I have read are Boris Arkunin's detective series (which I need to continue at some point) and an attempt at Crime and Punishment. I see a Russion SciFi movie this past year in Russian (no English dubbing or subtitles) that someone posted on YouTube. I want to see  the English language release ofAttraction now that I know it was released hereC in 2017. Attraction 2 is in post-production, so I expect it will release this year.

My most recent SciFi reads were the first of series for Galaxy's Edge, Legionaire by Jason Anspach, and first of series for Expeditionary Force, Columbus Day, by Craig Alanson. Both are decent reads, a bit on the light side and with some humor, although the Galaxy's Edge series seems more serious. For those who like audio books, the narrators do a great job, according to my sister (and the audio samples I listened to).

From the library, I am waiting on my next Expanse book to become available, and a SciFi short-story anthology edited by James Patrick Kelly should be ready to pick up very soon.

Frybabe

« Reply #3158 on: February 07, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
I am still waiting for the next book in the Expanse series. They seem to be stuck on me being #3 on the list.

In the meantime, and in between the book challenge Barb and I are doing, I have been reading two series books from my Amazon Lending Library, which means I can only read one book each month. I am alternating them. This will take a while.Both have funny, snarky moments, but the Expeditionary Force series (by Craig Alanson) is by far the funnier of the two. Well, it includes hamster-like and lizard-like opponents, an extremely advanced (and thousands of years old) AI that is housed in what looks like a beer can. Said beer can thinks a lot of himself and refers to the lowly humans as monkeys. Lots of quantum physics action, but without the technical stuff because, I assume, we monkeys aren't advanced enough yet to understand it yet. Skippy the Magnificant (beer can) is right. The author manages to write an interesting and entertaining series.

The other series is more serious, but there is still lots of humorous reposte between the characters. The Galaxy's Edge series is written by Jason Anspach and Nick Cole. In the first book the main characters are part of a military force fighting insurgents on the edges of the galaxy. The first book kind of reminds me of the fighting in the middle-east and Afghanistan. I think that later on the survivors become either mercenaries or rogues later in the series. Not sure.

Frybabe

« Reply #3159 on: February 07, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Oh, almost forgot. I picked up Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Constellation 1 book of short stories and novellas. The very first story is about how Val Con met the Turtles. I am DELIGHTED. These are all stories that never made it into the books, but most have been published in magazines or as chapbooks, which I think, are published as Adventures in the Liaden Universe #_.