Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 370885 times)

mrssherlock

Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #840 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Babi:  David Weber's War God series?  I didn't know.  Library, here I come.  Fate has handed me three books in a row about reincarnation, each unique and very moving.  A YA book about Provence and its pivotal role in the history of the Celts vs. the Romans; A story about a man who remembers bits and pieces of various lives and who meets people from those lives; finally a man who survives a terrorist bomb blast but is haunted by memories of his being an outlaw priest in a Rome which has become Christian by edict.  Three exciting stories with a crisis in each one spurring the recognition of strange dreams and feelings in each one's life.  In order:

1.  Ysabel, by Guy Gavriel Kay:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/guy-gavriel-kay/ysabel.htm

2.  My Name Is Memory, by Ann Brashares:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/ann-brashares/my-name-is-memory.htm

3.  The Reincarnationist, by  M J Rose:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/m-j-rose/reincarnationist.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #841 on: September 04, 2010, 06:09:10 AM »
Will have to try one.. I am not overfond of the technical type writers.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #842 on: September 04, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »
Thanks for those titles, JACKIE.  They sound really interesting, esp. the outlaw
priest.  "Ysabel" has been mentioned before somewhere, but my library doesn't have
it. I need to expand my search.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

roshanarose

« Reply #843 on: September 06, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Thanks for those Jackie.  My TBR pile has finally toppled and I now have a second pile :)
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #844 on: September 07, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »
Good thing I make baskets. I now have two of tbr..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #845 on: September 07, 2010, 10:35:18 AM »
The floor is the safest place for mine.

Steph

« Reply #846 on: September 08, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »
I am always afraid on the floor, that one of the two dogs will decide they like the taste of paper. I used to have a corgi that loved to chew the corners.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #847 on: September 08, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
I don't have dogs, but when my 18 month grandson came to visit me for the first time last week, I had to move the piles out of reach.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #848 on: September 08, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Steph and PatH  :D

Steph

« Reply #849 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:27 AM »
Ah yes,, some small people just love to teeth on hard covers.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #850 on: September 10, 2010, 09:22:35 PM »
Steph, he doesn't teeth, he just tears the pages out (even worse).

Steph

« Reply #851 on: September 11, 2010, 05:53:32 AM »
Aha.. a dedicated reader that does not want anyone to read his books after him..

Babi

« Reply #852 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:23 AM »
 He'll have to get over that, STEPH, or they'll never let him into the swap
clubs.   ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #853 on: September 12, 2010, 06:16:09 AM »
Babi,, you are so right. I just got a notice that somehow the post office managed to rip a book I sent off into almost two pieces.. Whew.. the amazing things the P.O. does with mail.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #854 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:42 AM »
That's it!  My grandson can have a promising career in the Postal Service.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #855 on: September 12, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »
 :D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #856 on: September 12, 2010, 08:38:02 PM »
Most of you are already in the prediscussion of "The Left Hand of Darkness", but for anyone who isn't, here is my movie review from there of a 1979 TV production of "The Lathe of Heaven", also by Le Guin.  Marcie called it to our attention (thanks, Marcie).

"Marcie, thank you so much for calling my attention to the 1979 PBS version of "The Lathe of Heaven"  I watched it tonight, and I think it's about as good as it can get translating that complicated book to film.  Sure, it shows its age and the visual effects are simplistic, but they really get the spirit of the book.  A lot of detail had to be left out, though.  I'm not sure how it would feel or how much you wouldn't understand if you hadn't already read the book.  If you have read it, the film is a wonderful illustration of it. "

Le Guin worked with them on the production, and was pleased with it.

It's my favorite of her books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #857 on: September 12, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
The f2f Sci-Fi book discussion group at Politics and Prose met this last week.  The book was "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow.  It's a young adult book.  A San Francisco high school student and his friends, skipping school to follow the next clue in an internet treasure search, are caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Terrorists have just blown up the Bay Bridge, and they are scooped up in a Homeland Security dragnet, held and interrogated.  On release, the protagonist finds that a semi-police state has taken over.  He vows to fight this by means of his computer skills.

It's a good job, suspenseful, and with lots to say about personal freedom and privacy and the idiocy of collecting too much data about people to analyze properly.

It amuses me to see how I fit into this group.  Most of them are totally wired, reading a lot of their stuff online.  Some of them are quite young, capable of laughing about the details Doctorow got wrong about teenagers in SF in 2008.  There are some older people, and a few middle-aged and even grey-haired, but I'm by far the oldest.  But they treat me as an equal, and take me seriously.  They're pretty thoughtful people, too, and widely read.

Steph

« Reply #858 on: September 13, 2010, 06:19:04 AM »
You are so lucky. A ftf sci fi club. I would love that.

mrssherlock

« Reply #859 on: September 13, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »
Politics and Prose has added me to their mailing list for each month's events.  It was daunting to see that they have 16 active f2f book clubs!  Wish I lived close enough to visit once in a while.  You're lucky, PatH, to have such a vital forum in your town.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #860 on: September 15, 2010, 06:00:35 AM »
May look in on Politics and Prose.. Where is the actual store..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #861 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »
It's in Washington. DC, a mile from the boundary with Maryland--5015 Connecticut Avenue, NW to be exact.  It takes me about 20 min. to get there.

http://politics-prose.com/

If you look at the events calendar, you see you could go to something almost every day.  William Gibson is speaking on the 26th;  I'll try to get to that one.

mrssherlock

« Reply #862 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
If you have read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger you will enjoy the movie.  To me the script worked marvels in converting this complex story from words to pictures.  Good acting, great location shots, very engrossing.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #863 on: September 16, 2010, 05:54:11 AM »
Aha.. will have to visit the bookstore on line then. I do love a good bookstore and the independents are harder and harder to find.

mrssherlock

« Reply #864 on: September 18, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »
In other discussions Molly Gloss has been mentioned for her award winning fiction such as The Hearts of Horses about a young woman who tames horses during WWI. and The Jump Off Creek, again women pioneering ranching in Eastern Oregon.  I really like her writing and was eager to read more but I was unprepared for The Dazzle of Day
The Dazzle of Day was named a New York Times Notable Book and was awarded the PEN Center West Fiction Prize.
  In this one Gloss takes a leap into the future when the Earth is no longer livable and people are gathering into groups for their voyage among the stars to a New World,  Gloss' story is of a shipload of Friends who speak Esperanto (which is easy to decipher within its context).  Gloss reveals details about the minutia of their life aboard ship matter-of-factly as her narrative centers on one then another as they go about their daily tasks.  Somewhat bleak, after 175 years they have seen the extinction of some of their fauna and flora, too many birth defects and epidemics.  When the research vessel is sent to their world of choice, disaster strikes it is low-key (and therefore more chilling).  Hard to put down.  Five stars
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #865 on: September 19, 2010, 06:36:04 AM »
hmm. Did not like the Molly Gloss.. horse thing, but may try this one. I love books on closed societies..

Babi

« Reply #866 on: September 19, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »
 I've started the new book in the Honor Harrington series,  "Mission of Honor".   So far it's been a tour through the different star nations where various individuals or groups as discussing the
current breaking crisis.  I suppose it's a convenient way to establish the background of what's
happening, but I'm ready for the action to start.

Steph

« Reply #867 on: September 20, 2010, 06:10:49 AM »
Setting the story.. I know the feeling. I guess they need it for people who have not read the series, but it does always slow you down.

mrssherlock

« Reply #868 on: September 22, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

My son told me of a new Foundation book.  Stories in Honor of Isaac Asimov:  Foundation's Friends edited by Martin  Greenberg (who else?)  All the old names with some of the new.  Connie Willis with a gentle poke at The Three Laws of Robotics titled "Dilemma".  Harry Harrison, Orson Scott Card, Ben Bova, Ray Bradbury and Janet Jeppson Asimov.  Plus more.  21 entries on the TOC. 
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
Thanks very much, mrssherlock, for mentioning that book. I loved the Foundation series, the prequels and the Second Foundation series

Steph

« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »
 Iloved Foundation. Will look for the new additions.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #871 on: September 26, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Well, I did get to the author event for William Gibson at Politics and Prose.  It was fun; a large crowd, many standees.  The book he was reading from and signing, Zero History, is the third of a trilogy.  1 and 2 (Pattern Recognition and Spook Country) are still in my TBR pile, and he read Chapter 12 from the new book, so I could have been at sea, but he made it work OK.  And fans are fun to chat with.

He said he always likes to come to P & P because he gets such intelligent questions.  Maybe he says that to all the girls,but the questions were good, enabling him to bring out something of his philosophy of writing as well as what he was up to in this book.  I got him to sign my battered copy of Neuromancer as well as the new book.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #872 on: September 26, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
Wow, PatH. I am envious. When I first read William Gibson's Neuromancer, the experience for me was out of this world. I had never read anyone who wrote as he did. His metaphors are amazing, as is the detailed technology-based future that he creates.

Steph

« Reply #873 on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
Gibson is an author that I struggle with. Tend to like fantasy more than the hard wire stuff.

Babi

« Reply #874 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
 I was absolutely astonished when the David Weber book, "Mission of Honor", ended like a
"Perils of Pauline" cliffhanger!  No conclusion to the story.  A massive fleet is headed toward
the badly wounded Star Empire....and there it ends.  To be continued, Heaven only knows when.
I'm going to Fantastic Fiction, hoping to see the the next book will be available very soon.  I
can't believe it!   >:(

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #875 on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
Babi, I haven't read anything by David Weber but it's interesting (frustrating?) that Mission of Honor ends that way.

mrssherlock

« Reply #876 on: September 27, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »
Babi:  It's especially galling that Weber padded his book with so much drivel, pages of people talking round and round.  He must have been paid by the word!
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #877 on: September 28, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »
 This was the most aggravating Weber book I've ever read, JACKIE.   When he got back to
the characters I love so much he was as good as ever, but.....

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #878 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
I hope that's not a sign of what he's going to be like from now on.

Steph

« Reply #879 on: September 29, 2010, 06:05:24 AM »
 Why do authors sometimes change their styles. I adored Anne McCaffrey, but do not really care for her books cowritten with her son. Too much war.