Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158205 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

I gave up on my f2f book club's selection for next week -- "Sacred" by Dennis LeHane. He's the author who wrote "Mystic River", an excellent, but depressing, book. This one is much different, cruder and needlessly and stupidly violent, at least at the beginning. No time for it! It was written 4 years before "Mystic-- he seems to have learned a lot in that time.

Steph

« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
I love Lehane, but he writes all over the place. Sacred was one of ( I think) four books about the partnership. Then he did Mystic and then Shutter Island ( talk about strange) and have not yet read the newest one. Still I really like him
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
I just picked up my first Rick Riordan book The Widower's Two Step and have just started it, the first 20 pages are quite good...............jean

Steph

« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:59 AM »
I have  read several Riordan.. Sort of neat.. very western.
I am reading one of Parkers new one.. This one is not a Spencer, but the police chief.. I have problems with his obsession with his ex wife, but the story is interesting.

fairanna

« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
A lover of mysteries and I go back FAR when I read Mary Roberts Rinehart's The Circular Staircase when I was about ten ...a Sunday afternoon , the family away, and by evening I had spooked myself , left the book at home and went next door to visit neighbors....In a box of books from my husbands aunt I found THe Swimming Pool be the same author and am reading it now...( a cataract surgery two weeks ago allows that pleasure) the first pages seem so innocent but there is something in her writing that hints of things to come....

I love the newer authors as well but in many I find the events too specific ...and the language the same....I have a new Dick Francis waiting for me and some others I bought in anticipation of reading again....HOORAY FOR MYSTERY ,...

Steph

« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »
Mary Robert Rinehart.. Oh me, I think she may have been my first mystery writer, other than Nancy Drew.. I loved her. She is old fashioned, but still fun to read.
Finished the Parker, Excellent. I am now reading one of Ayelet Waldmans Nursery type mysteries. She is funny as can be.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2009, 04:22:27 PM »
I hadn't thought of Mary Roberts Rinehart for years. When I was a child, I loved a series of hers with "Tish" as a detective. Tish and her friends were senior (or maybe middle aged-- they seemed "old" to me as a child) who solved mysteries and got into hilareous situations: unusual in 1911 when she started the series. I wonder what they would sound lijke today. I'll have to see if I can find some.

Does anyone else remember them?

juliak

« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
I am reading Ruth Rendell's "Not in the Flesh".  Just found it on a new book shelf in one of the Libraries where I live.  Published in 2007 and is an Inspector Wexford mystery.  I'll finish it before dinner - I'd forgotten how much I  liked her books.
JuliaK

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
I enjoyed Not in the Flesh too.  I thought it was very good.

The first mystery I ever read was one in the Sir Henry Merrivale  series by Carter Dickson ( John Dickson Carr).  I loved it.  I was very young when I read it.  The next one was by Ngiao Marsh and I loved it too.  I think I read everything that either of those authors ever wrote.   I had two Aunts who were mystery novel fans and they got me started on reading them.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Steph

« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2009, 01:53:37 PM »
I did love Ngaio Marsh. She presented me with a brand new world. I lived out of town and the town was a small one..I only knew my farm school and classmates and church mates.. So reading opened so many new doors for me.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2009, 09:06:31 AM »
I am just getting online after an AOL problem and a new computer.  I have two books to report on:  one I liked and one I didn't.  The one I didn't care for was "Disordered Minds" by Minette Walters.  She spent so much time quoting from a Psychological Book that I couldn't wade through it.

The one I did like was "The Ghost" by Robert Harris.  It is about a ghost writer to the former British prime minister.  It is authentic since the author was a ghost writer for Tony Blair, according to wikipedia.  Regardless of your politics, it is interesting and exciting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Harris_(novelist)

Steph

« Reply #251 on: March 01, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
Just finished my second Lilly book. She is an ordained Episcopal priest in the Anglo Episcopal family. She is quite interesting in her own way. Solves a mystery or two, but also delves into religon or her versions. An interesting writer indeed.  OOPs.. Michelle Blake is the author
and this one was  The Book of Light.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #252 on: March 01, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
Poppy: glad you're back. I find Minette Walters heavy going too, although she is a good writer. The Harris book sounds interesting. Is it a mystery?

peace42

« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
F-i-n-a-l-l-y finished Interest of  Justice by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg - I've read some of hers before but this one just plodded along..what's with all the sex stuff in these mysteries, i.e.  the last Tami Hoag I read...sure they have sex but I don't need 3-4 pages of sex on the hood of a car on a bluff overlooking the ocean! no mystery there!! well, I'm off to see what's in my "winter pile" for my next selection - winter here in SW Michigan - 5 above tonite, 10 tomorrow nite...March is definitely coming in like a lion - take care all - curl up with a good book and enjoy
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
Just started Bye Bye Love.. which is written by Virginia Swift. She is an interesting writer.. Writes about Wyoming.... college professors....and honky tonk. Hows that for a different sort of book.. Heroine is called Mustang Sally.

hats

« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2009, 08:02:11 AM »
Mustang Sally, I like that name. I bet she's a wild one. Steph, I have "Tentmaker." The book you recommended earlier. I think it's the first in the series. I just haven't had time to read it.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »
I have now finished "The Ghost" and it was one of the most exciting books I have ever read.  It was hard to come to the end of it because I was so emotionally involved with the writer.  He was ghosting a book for a former prime minister and became accidentally involved in a plot to kill him.  I won't give away the ending but it was a shocker.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
Mustang Sally sounds great. So does "Ghost".

Peace: I had the same trouble with Rosenberg. Why it's supposed to be great to have sex in the most uncomfortable circumstances the author can imagine, I can't understand.

Steph

« Reply #258 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »
Former romance writers seem inclined to do difficult sex or violent sex.. I like J.D. Robb, but mostly skip her version of sex.. Seems mostly way too violent to me.
I have read a second book in the series with The Tentmaker. Very interesting and tells a lot about the episcopal church..

Babi

« Reply #259 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »
Maybe women writers like Robb and Rosenberg are trying to prove they can be just as sex-oriented as the male writers.  I don't like it either, but apparently a large segment of the public does. I don't know about Rosenberg, but Robb's books are quite popular. I hope that is in spite of the inappropriate sex scenes, rather than because of them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #260 on: March 04, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
Historical Romance and Paranormal romance and classic romance have all had a strong sexual element for years. Since I owned a used book store, I would be invited to several conventions for Romance Writers. They even have seminars on how to introduce sex.. Seems there is a formula. 
Still working with Mustang Sally. Interesting book. Wyoming is an interesting state. We were there last year in the RV.. Nice to visit.. No way would I want to live there.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #261 on: March 04, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
There's a formula for how to introduce sex? Good grief!

Robb is another pseudonym of romance writer Nora Roberts, so of course there would be a lot of sex in it.

I'm reading the new Evanovitch "between the numbers" : "Plum Spooky". Not her best, but she's found a new way to get one of her automobiles trashed.

Steph

« Reply #262 on: March 05, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
Evanovich is another of my guilty passions.. She makes me  laugh out loud, but I still really only like the numbered ones.  The inbetween are not quite as good.

Babi

« Reply #263 on: March 05, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »
but she's found a new way to get one of her automobiles trashed

I got a good grin out of that one, JOANK.  Do tell me how this one was done.
 :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #264 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
I got half way thru the Riodan book and was bored, so i took it back to the library........that's happened a lot for me lately. I don't know if it's me and i've decided i don't need to read something that's not grabbing me, or i am needing more and better stimulus at this time.

I did pick up a Gillian Roberts (something about Blue Blood, it's upstairs and i've forgotten the exact title) and i'm liking it very well. I'm more than half way thru it. I put her on my list because someone here had recommended her. Thanks, i think i'm going to have 10 or 12 good books to read.

Steph - i also only really like the numbered Evanovich books, but i have read some of the others, just hoping they will get better. Joan and Babi - don't you just love the continuing scenario of the destroyed cars? ................jean

JudeS

« Reply #265 on: March 05, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »
Hi-
I'm jumping in here because I too love a mystery.

I made a list from some of your suggestions Thanks..  Although I have only read the last twenty or so posts I'd like to suggest an author that you may not have  come across. He has written seven books and after reading the first I was hooked.
The author's name is Colin Cotterill. He is British and a lecturer in a Thai University.
The hero of the books is a 72 year old medical examiner named Dr. Siri Paiboun who , with the help of his nurse solves the mysteries he encounters in his work.  The action takes us all over Laos, a small communist country between Thailand and Vietnam.  The medicine is extremely primitive and the Doctor needs a lot of moxy to solve the cases.
Start with the first one "The Coroner's Lunch" since it does an in depth intro to the characters. The books are written with a great sense of humor and warmth.

Jude

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #266 on: March 05, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
JUDE: WELCOME, WELCOME! I loved "The Coroner's Lunch". Thanks for reminding me. I meant to get the next one (Thirty three teeth?).

mabel: I like Gillian Roberts, too. But I recommended her to someone here, and they didn't like her. She is a high school teacher in Philly, and problems of teens are always interwoven with the mystery. Only flaw: if a kid had a problem, it was always the parent's fault. Sometimes it's true, of course, but not always.

BABI: should I tell you how the car was trashed? OK, but anyone who doesn't want to know skip the end of this post.

A bunch of raccoons holed up inside it and messed it all up with their natural functions.

Alexan

« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
Hi Jude - I must get the "Coroner's Lunch" sounds interesting.

I am currently reading a P.D. James which has been on my shelf since 1999 - my daughter-in-law worked for Random House as an editor at that time and she brought home several books which was one of the perks for working at Random House in Toronto.   

I hadn't been too keen on P.D. James, but had run out of reading material so I thought after having 3 of P.D. James books on my shelf for all those years I'd try it.    This one is Devises and Desires - I am enjoying it.

I had been reading several of Lee Child's book - I had just finished Nothing to Lose (A Jack Reacher mystery - I just can't put them down - I have read "The Hard Way" and "Bad Luck and Trouble".   Having finished "Nothing to Lose" I had "Nothing to read" - so that's why I picked up the P.D. James.   

Steph

« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:46 AM »
I l ike P.D. James, but dont like Lee Childs.. Jack Reacher does not reach me.. Oh well. I am reading a Lauri King.. Hard to read and impossible to put down. Starts with Viet Nam and how it affects t he man and now he is just past being a bum and trying to rehab himself. He will eventually according to the jacket rescue abused children. I love Lauri, but this one is a toughie.

marjifay

« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2009, 08:25:15 AM »
Jude, thanks for your recommendation of THE CORONER'S LUNCH by Colin Cottreill.  I've had this on my TBR list for sometime now.

Have you read P.D. James' CHILDREN OF MEN?  This was a very different one for her -- a sort of science fiction.  I liked it and I don't usually care for science fiction.  The plot centers on an England in the future, ruled by a dictator.  No children have been born for 18 years because men have become infertile, and humankind is on the verge of becoming extinct.  This was made into a good 2006 movie.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »
Eww!  I wonder if it is possible to really clean up a car after that!   :o

JudeS

« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
Hi
I have read most of PD James. Didn't know she wrote a science fiction book.  Not my usual genre.

I really like Elizabeth George.  Especially the book called:
"In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner".  For a mystery it is quite profound.
Has anyone else read and liked this book?

Jude

Alexan

« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
I didn't know P.D. James had written Sci Fi - I must get it.    As I mentioned I am reading Devices and Desires at the moment.   Surprised that I am enjoying it - as I said P.D. James hadn't appealed to me.

Guess Lee Child is an acquired taste.   Very gruesome in some parts.    But his Reacher character does appeal to me.

Yes, I did read Elizabeth George - In pursuit of the proper sinner.    I have a copy of this in my personal "library".   My son and daughter-in-law gave it to me for my birthday several years ago.    I think it was also televised at one time.  It wasn't a book I would have got for myself, but did enjoy it - I love getting books as gifts.

I mentioned a while ago that I had a full collection of all the books of Kerry Greenwood - an Australian author.    Most of them have been sent as birthday gifts from my son and daughter-in-law.   They live in Australia and Greenwood is an Australian author which I can't get in Canada.    Greenwood is a mystery writer.  I really enjoy her books.  If you have not heard of her take a look at her internet site:

http://www.phrynefisher.com/books.html

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2009, 04:16:24 PM »
Has anyone read any of Louise Penny's books - she has a great web site http://www.louisepenny.com/
and her A Fatal Grace (Three Pines Mysteries, No. 2) won in 2007 the Agatha Award which is the award for Best mysteries without explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence. http://www.bookawardsonline.com/agathas.html
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2009, 05:50:51 PM »
I've read three Colin Cotterill's on medical examiner named Dr. Siri Paiboun.  I believe he has another one coming out this summer, perhaps?  I really enjoyed those books.
Just finished Rita Mae Brown's book "Santa Clawed".  I know--it was a Christmas book, but I liked it.
McCall Smith has another book coming out about the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency called "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built".  Our library has it on order and it should be in this summer.  I already have my name on the reserve list.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2009, 07:27:41 PM »
I've read two of Penny's books (all my library has) and liked them a lot.

A new Ladies No. 1 Detective agency? I can't wait. I've seen ads that HBO is going to have a series based on them. It's ALMOST enough to make me get HBO.

CubFan

« Reply #276 on: March 06, 2009, 09:20:18 PM »
Greetings -

Just picked up Laura Child's new Tea Shop Mystery - Oolong Dead.  Tenth in her series - reads like the others - a nice break from the ice and snow.   I know the robins and mourning doves are back - have heard - not seen - so spring is on the way.  The weather maker just hasn't been notified yet.   Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Babi

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »
I like SciFi, and I like P.D. James, but I really didn't like "The Children of Men".
I didn't like the premise of the story, and found it very slow and dull.

I've found most of Elizabeth George's books to be more profound than the general run of mysteries, JUDE.  If you want to read more of her books, it woul be worth your while to go back and start at the beginning. You gradually learn more and more about the main characters.

'..award for Best mysteries without explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence.'
Is that the actual award category, BARB?  If so, how wonderful! I'll definitely have to check into Ms. Penny.

Frybabe

« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2009, 11:34:39 AM »
A Fatal Grace (Three Pines Mysteries, No. 2)  won in 2007 the Agatha Award which is the award for Best mysteries without explicit sex, excessive gore, or gratuitous violence.

Thanks, Barb. I will look into getting this book for my Mom. She has been known to walk out of movies with too much of say, and swearing. She doesn't like swearig

JudeS

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »

Flajean

Thanks for the heads up about the new Mma Ramotswe book.  I am also looking forward to the HBO series that starts on March 29th (West Coast).  I usually buy the books and when I and my husband finish them I pass them on to  a friend or
family member.  I read that a movie is in the works as well.

Another favorite mystery writer of mine is Jonathan Kellerman.  Although his latest books aren't as good as his first ones I still find them exciting and well written. 

Jude