Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 158191 times)

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #680 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »
I just got Wormwood (China Bayles) from the library.  I've read all of the previous China Bayles series.  Didn't think I would like her other series (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter) but thoroughly enjoy them.  Am starting the latest "The Tale of Briar Bank".

mrssherlock

« Reply #681 on: June 23, 2009, 12:04:16 PM »
Lisa Lutz, who now lives in Seattle, is from the Bay Area  so her San Francisco setting in The Spellman Files is spot on.  The Spellman family, Pa, Ma, 3 kids, are PIs.  All of them are PIs (except son David who escapes to law school).  28-yyr-old Isabel, Izzy, is feeling constrained by her wacky family and dissatisfied with her life.  Her 14-yr-old sister,m Rae, takes up recreational surveillance when stressed and drops in on Izzy's favorite bar to drink ginger ale and bend the ear of Milo, the barkeep.  http://www.amazon.com/Spellman-Files-Novel-Lisa-Lutz/dp/1416532390  Tere are two more in this series and I'm on the waiting list at the library.  This is LOL funny.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #682 on: June 23, 2009, 06:07:16 PM »
Jackie, I read the first Spellman, but have not yet obtained the next two. They are weird, but fun. I do have the new ( to paperback) Stephanie Plum.. Oh I do love that girl.. and grandma.. A woman with strong opinions.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #683 on: June 23, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »
I've never been able to get into the Beatrix Potter mysteries, but have read all the China Bayles ones.

Jackie: that sounds really fun. I'll put it on my list (which Ialways forget when I go to the library. sigh).

And Stephanie Plum: what can you say!!!

Babi

« Reply #684 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
 Sounds like fun, JACKIE.  And having a lawyer in the family ought to be very
helpful, right?  I'll have to see if my library carries Ms. Lutz.  I'm also now
curious about the Beatrix Potter mysteries. I'll have to look at those, too.
(As if I didn't have enough on my list!)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #685 on: June 24, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
I like China, but she and her husband also write under Robin ( I think Paige). They are english type mysteries and I dont care for them, but will try a Beatrice Potter one.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
I like the Robin Paige mysteries. The writing can get tedious and drag, but their use of real historical characters is interesting and fun. My favorite is the one where Mr. Rolls and Mr. Royce decide to get together and form a car company. The description of the "car race" with the old cars is hysterical.

mrssherlock

« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
Did I see this mentioned here?  North of Montana by April Smith features Ana Grey, FBI agent in LA, whose family history and current investigation both feature the area north of Montana Street.  Ana finds that she is frozen out of the good ol boys lub that is the FBI's LA office.  When she makes the arrest of the century, earning big press, she is shunted aside from her expected upgrade to the more prestigious unit as her boss castigates her for a minor procedural oversight - he attches a deficiency evaluation to her request for transfer.  Sounds like more of the same old poor me but Smith's got a way with her characterization, we grow to care deeply about Ana inspite of her flaws. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »
Computer is doing one of those slow days.. WiFi in RV parks is always a bit of a problem. Too many people all at once jumping on.  Still readin the Elizabeth George.. See where Evanovich has published 15.. Sounds like fun, but am just now going to read 14.. I always wait until Paper.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
Just came back from barnes and Noble. Got the newest (I hope) No.! Ladies Detective Agency (Miracle at Makitoni Motors) and the latest Sue Henry --(Six Degrees of Separation). We  also bought the new Evanovitch. It is EXPENSIVE, but my son, daughter, and I will split the cost, since we're all eager to read it.

I know, I need to stay out of bookstores -- I always spend more than I mean too, especially after buying coffee at the attached Starbucks.

Frybabe

« Reply #690 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
JoanK, Let me know about Six Degrees of Seperation. Is it the book from which a movie by the same name was made? I saw the movie, starring Will Smith, and was quite taken by it.

Just say my first episode of No.1 Ladies Detective Agency on HBO last night. What a hoot. Just loved it.

Staying out of bookstores doesn't help me anymore. If I am not browsing the shelves at a bookstore, I am cruising the online booksellers.

Babi

« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2009, 08:28:54 AM »
 Me, I pretty much stick to the library.  I don't like to buy a book unless I expect to want to read it more than once, and not many books really fall
into that category anymore. Why give shelf space to something you've already
read and will likely never read again?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
I'm with you on that, Babi.  Having moved too many times in recent years, mainly due to my empty nest refilling itself, I've grown extremely tired of having over 200 boxes of books.  Lucky used book stores pay for good titles.  There are still way too many books lin boxes left.  My lbrary belongs to a system that includes some 20 or so branches, included the local CC, so there are many more choices than would be possible with the two Salem branches. 
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »
My downfall has been my on line swap club.. Paperbacks like crazy.. I do love that place, You meet so many new authors that way.

Tomereader1

« Reply #694 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:45 PM »
Remind me, Steph, if you will what the "on line swap club" is.  I have several paperbacks (mostly mysteries) that I would love to trade or get rid of.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

nlhome

« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
I'm a library person myself, but I also have a stash of "to be read" to take with me on trips and the beach, even the waiting rooms. If I lose one of those, I don't feel so bad (nor does it cost so much to replace). I rarely buy new books, except as gifts.

Steph

« Reply #696 on: June 27, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »
paperbackbookswap.com    is a wonderful site . You list what you want to trade,,then have access to the thousands and thousands of books that are listed. You would be amazed at the variety.. Google it, since I am not home, but in the rv and dont have the exact address with me.. They also have a swap site for dvd's, although I dont belong to that one.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #697 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Just came back from barnes and Noble. Got the newest (I hope) No.! Ladies Detective Agency (Miracle at Makitoni Motors)

Joan, the latest No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency book is "Tea Time for the Traditionally Built".  I was on a waiting list for a couple of months at the library.  Read it a month or so ago and enjoyed it.  :)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #698 on: June 27, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
Jean: OOPS! Just as well I didn't know that: I'd have bought them both. Just finished "Miracle" and loved it. I don't know what it is about those books -- very little plot, but just reading them makes me feel happy.

Now my son has finished the Evanovitch, and wants me to read it today, so I can give it to my daughter. His evaluation: in the middle:"it's ok". At the end "It's hilarious".

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #699 on: June 27, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
from JoanK
I'm readin Nevada Barr's "Wolf Study". So far, I have to say it's one of her best! Her descriptions of the wolves and the winter are very sharp: I feel like I'm there.

Do you mean Winter Study?  I have it in front of me.  One of the f2fers passed her copy on.  We’re discussing it in Sept.  She can remember longer than I can, so  I’ll read it in August.  Have you read The Loop by Nicholas Evans (also Horse Whisperer).  It's a great wolf novel.

Hi retired.  I really like Linda Fairstein too.  And the legal mystery writers like Grisham and Turow.  The Appeal was really mind boggling for me – what one can do with power and money. And I think of The King of Torts every time one of the drug/lawyer ads comes on TV.

and the latest Sue Henry --(Six Degrees of Separation).
 That’s the title?  I love Sue Henry.  Is this a Jessie Arnold or the RV lady, can’t think of her name.

JoanR and I prowled the Strand (18 miles of books) when I was in NYC this past week.  I picked up a Colin Dexter (Inspector Morse) – Death is Now My Neighbour – from the bargain table.  I thought I’d read them all, but that title didn’t ring a bell.

from Frybabe  
Staying out of bookstores doesn't help me anymore. If I am not browsing the shelves at a bookstore, I am cruising the online booksellers.

I know what you mean.  There were other bargains at the Strand, but I think I used real discipline.   :o  But now I’m heading to my Seattle daughter and can’t wait to check out the used book stores there.  There is one public library in my town, and it has a good collection, but with the f2f group selections I almost always buy the book.  The library just doesn’t have enough copies.

Babi

« Reply #700 on: June 28, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »
I've got a LInda Fairstein (Waiting to Die) waiting in there for me, as soon
as I finish an old P.D. James (Death of an Expert Witness).  James is always
so good, and I do like Adam Dalgleish.

CubFan

« Reply #701 on: June 28, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
Greetings -

The title of Sue Henry's book is     Degrees of Separation   I too enjoyed it.   Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Steph

« Reply #702 on: June 30, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
I like the rv lady of Sue Henrys.. Fairstein is an always read.. Finished the Elizabeth George.. Careless in Red.. Wow.. that one turned over and over and over.. Amazing. But Linley seems to be reluctantly coming back to life. Am glad.

mrssherlock

« Reply #703 on: June 30, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
Finished the second Eva Diamond, LA Times reporter'  Sugar Skull shows she has more than one book in her.  Mix together high level politics, Mexican-American pop culture, the homeless teen subculture, and Eve who is always pushing the limits.  I'm going back for more.

For many years I[ve been following the unfolding tale of Benni Harper who is curator of a museum featuring fiber arts such as quilting in the Central California Coast, read Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles.  Benni and her family have become comfortable friends in the books which are named after quilting patterns.  Earlene Fowler must be feeling comfortable with Benni et al., too, for she has branched out into novels without a crime to hang them on.  Her Saddlemaker's Wife was engrossing with fully realized characters and a tight story that was not predictable.  The latest of her independents, Love Mercy, may be the first of a new series and I will be eagerly awaiting the next one. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/earlene-fowler/love-mercy.htm As in all her books, Fowler has strong family ties binding her characters through thick and thin.
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #704 on: June 30, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »
I like Earlene Fowler too. I hope she doesn't abandon the quilting patterns, though. Everything I know about quilting, I've learned from her (In general, most of what I know comes from reading mysteries).

mrssherlock

« Reply #705 on: June 30, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
Joan:  How true.  We learn about exotic locales; used to be that I wanted to visit so many places I'd read about.  It seems like so much trouble, now, to plan a trip where there is stop after stop.  I like staying in one place, letting its ambience soak into my soul, getting to know a little about its byways, etc. 
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #706 on: July 01, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
I do like Fowler and Benni.. She makes me want to quilt. I just take an aspirin and a nap and it goes away.. thank heaven. I used to quilt and it is lovely, but hard on fingers and eyes.

marjifay

« Reply #707 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
Has anyone read anything by Mary Roberts Rinehart?  I am reading a mystery by her for the first time, THE YELLOW ROOM.  I'm finding I don't care much for her writing, which is a disappointment as I kept hearing how good it was. 
Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Tomereader1

« Reply #708 on: July 01, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »
I used to read MRR all the time, and truly enjoyed her books.  Of course, what appealed to me back then is certainly not what we are familiar with in today's authors/books.  I also read all of Agatha Christie's books, but wouldn't go back and re-read them now as I am accustomed to more action/modern story lines, etc. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #709 on: July 01, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
I used to read MRR too, but haven't for years. But I will always like Christie.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #710 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
I never like Mary Roberts Rinehart.  I tried to read some of her books but just could not.

I still love Agatha Christie and enjoy rereading her books and I have read most of them more than once.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Babi

« Reply #711 on: July 02, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
 Rinehard was writing back in the days when the butler always did it; 'society'
was above that sort of thing.  Still, for her day, her stories were considered quite thrilling.  I think her best known was the one about the staircase...was it
"The Circular Staircase"?

mrssherlock

« Reply #712 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
The Spiral Staircase?

Eve Grey, April Smith's "maverick" FBI agent has captured me.  This is one feisty broad; she ensnares with her empathy at the same time she is going off like a loose cannon.  Never know what will happen next. I do know I don't wish to have to live in her skin. But I'll keep one reading as long as Smith keeps on writing.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/april-smith/
Jackie

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #713 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
I think Erlene Fowler's best book is "The Saddlemaker's Wife".  I was hoping she would have a sequel to it.  I didn't like "Love Mercy" as well.  It seemed (how do I describe it?) a little too preachy for me.  I've read all the series with Benni Harper but the last several I got tired of all the trouble with her and her hubby.  It seemed the same thing over and over.

I'm towards the end of "Wormwood", and finding the information about the Shakers so interesting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #714 on: July 02, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
FLAJEAN: you might like the mystery series that takes place in the Shaker community by Deborah Woodworth.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/deborah-woodworth/

The first in the series is "Death of a Winter Shaker"

Johanz4

« Reply #715 on: July 02, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »
Hi everyone - I just joined this group.  found out about it from another web site I was on.  I use to be with seniornet mystery forum but since they started a different form, their home page doesn't have 'discussions' listed.  I am very happy to have found it.  i am an avid mystery reader - just completed 'A Catered Valentine's Day' by Iris Crawford.  will look for her again.  If anyone was on Seniornet discussions, I would appreciate knowing if it is still active.  I live in SE FL .   Johanz4

Johanz4

« Reply #716 on: July 02, 2009, 08:37:35 PM »
FlaJean - your name sounds familiar.  i wonder - were your on one of Seniornet's mystery discussions?  If you are interested in the China bayles series, you might want to check out Sisan Wittig Albert's web site.  it is very interesting and she is one of my friends on Facebook.  check it out, she gives very good info. Happy to hear you like the other series.  never tried it as I too thought i would not like it.  but now will give it a try.

I am at a loss on this site as I don't know how to post ect. will just keep trying.   JOhanz4

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #717 on: July 03, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »
Welcome Johanz4,

You have posted just fine.  We are happy to have you here.

Most of us here were on SeniorNet but it is not active with discussion forums anymore.

Hope to see you here alot.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Babi

« Reply #718 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »
 FlaJean

I got tired of all the trouble with her and her hubby.  It seemed the same thing over and over.

Isn't that usually the way it goes when a marriage is in trouble? The same old
tapes keep getting replayed. 

Welcome, JOHANZ.  You'll find a lot of your old gang here.  This is where we
all congregated when SeniorNet ran out on us, thanks to a couple of our terrific ladies.  Glad to see you here, and pass the word along to any of your friends
that haven't found us yet.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #719 on: July 03, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
Thank you JoanK.  I'll look for Deborah Woodworth at my library.
  I finished "Wormwood" (a very good read) and am now into "Oolong Dead" by Laura Childs.  The series is about Theo Browning who owns the Indigo Tea Shop in historic Charleston.  I didn't know until I was introduced to this series that the only tea plantation in the US is just outside of Charleston.  I understand they have tours and it is on my agenda for a future visit.  I wish I had known it when we visited Charleston several years ago.