General Book Discussions & More > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction

<< < (2/626) > >>

CallieOK:
Marking my spot so I can return to find new possibilities.

I have just finished The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby.  It is a library book but I may buy my own copy so I can underline and make marginal notes, commentaries and faces expressing my opinion. 

During the 60's and most of the 70's, I was living on a mountaintop in Colorado and have often thought I completely missed experiencing the social changes of that era.  So I enjoy finding books that offer a description of the cause and effect of events during that time period.

Next on my non-fiction is Too Close To The Sun, a memoir by Curtis Roosevelt, grandson of FDR and Eleanor. 

I can see that my list of Books To Read is going to grow by leaps and bounds from suggestions I see here.  Thank you, each and every one.

jeriron:
I am just finishing John Grogans book "The Longest Trip Home". It is about his growing up Catholic so that may not be of interest to all. I enjoyed it. Not as much as "Marley and Me" though.

Mippy:
Hi to everyone and Happy New Year!

I've been reading non-fiction, more than fiction, over the past few months, for various reasons.

My current (re-read), by one of my favorite authors is:
Washington's Crossing  by David Hackett Fischer (2006).

The author is an American history professor emeritus at Brandeis University, and I think I've read all of his books, including the most recent one:  Champlain's Dream.   (hidden by husband, cannot find it to give a fly-leaf description).

The latter is, in my opinion, much more difficult and perhaps not the best choice for a readers' discussion, but the former is about one period of the American Revolutionary War, and it really would  be excellent for a book discussion!

Lacking archives, I'm not sure if this group has already done it ... have we ... or have we ever done anything by this excellent author?

As some one says, let's talk ...     ;D

Frybabe:
I have Washington's Crossing, haven't read it yet. Dewey, came as a Christmas Present. Looking forward to reading it soon.

My next book to read however will be the SciFi book, Ender's Game (Card). I promised someone, when we were over on the old SeniorNet, that I would let her know what I thought of it.

Meanwhile, I am still SLOWLY reading through Liberal Fascism (Goldberg) and Lost Christianities (Ehrman). Both are non-fiction.

mabel1015j:
I had posted this orginally in "the library" but i'll put it here, as it's specifically a non-fiction book.

I picked up a book from the library's "new non-fiction" shelf and am finding it intriguing.

It's title is An Illuminated Life: Belle da Costa Greene's Journey from Prejudice to Privilege. Belle Greene was born Belle Marian Greener. Her claim to fame is that she became at a young age (early 20's) the librarian of J. P. Morgan's private library and eventually was the buyer and curator for his rare book/manuscript collection. She had a "dusky" complexion and as an adult stated that it was a result of Portugese ancestors, but her father was Richard Greener, the first person of mixed European/African-American ancestry to attend Harvard and who was the first Af-American professional staff person as Librarian at the University of South Carolina in the late 19th century. The U of SC was actually integrated after the Civil War and became re-segregated during the 1880's. Belle had a fascinating life, being a librarian at Princeton University during the first decade of the 20th century. While there she met J.P. Morgan's nephew, who was also a librarian at Princeton and he recommended her to his uncle. As Morgan's librarian she became a part of   NYC society, and the rare book community of the world, in the first half of the 20th century, an intriguing time and place of history.....................jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version