Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 63620 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online
« Reply #440 on: November 02, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Welcome! Everyone is invited!  

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, is joining us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Chapter discussion schedule

First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10 ~ June, 1870
Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17 ~ November, 1867
Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22 ~ June, 1870
Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-39
Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40/Historical note

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

Some topics for discussion:  Chapter 40/Historical Note ~  

1. Why would Osgood confide his doubts that  Chapman lost the final pages of Dickens' novel in  Longfellow ? Do you agree with Longfellow,  that it was for the best that the end of Dickens' story is not available?

2 .What did Longfellow mean when he said that "all proper books are unfinished"?  "An unfinished Dickens novel is a mystery in itself."  Do you agree?

3.  If you could ask Dickens one question about his unfinished novel, what would it be?

4. Why would Chapman  not come forward with the final chapters if he had been able to transcribe them?  

5. Do you believe that Dickens did write the ending first and that the pages are waiting somewhere to be found?  Were you expecting to hear more from Frank Dickens - who also knew  the Gurney shorthand ?

6.  When all is said and done, do you believe that Edwin Drood was murdered by his uncle?

7. Which bit of factual information  caught you attention  in the Historical Notes ?

8. Are there questions you would like us all to consider or put to Matthew while he is still in our midst?

Readers' Guide Questions from FIRST  - SIXTH INSTALLMENTS

Related Links : SeniorLearn's Q & A with Author, Matthew Pearl; 19th century Boston publishing houses ; check out Mr. Osgood here; James R. Osgood Co. closes,  May, 1885 - NY Times ,   Listen to Matthew's Interview at the Parker House in Boston;  Dickens in America - by Matthew Pearl;
Conversation Between James R. Osgood and M. Pearl; Historical epilogue; Sears Building - elevator; Dickens' shorthand sample;Harvard Medical College;Harpers Brothers insignia and Motto;Dickens' Gadshill Estate, Kent;

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #441 on: November 02, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
Pedln, me too - caught between the fictional and the real world.  No wonder I could find no mention of James Osgood's real wife.  He never married!  No little Anthony Perkins grandson/great grandson!  And the fictional Rebecca - we just had a date sometime in May - but don't know if that wedding ever came off either.   We'll have to make up our own ending for that romance too!

We're finally back from our Halloween stay in Memphis - what a trip!  - Only to find that local grandson has come down with what his mother is certain is swine flu.  Little guy - only six.  Not sure yet when the doctor can see him.  He has a younger brother and a two year old sister.  Please keep them in your thoughts!

When I get all the links and questions and answers where they belong, I'll bring the finished link to the Readers'  Guide for you to see.  Will also visit Matthew's home page - and Red Room blog.

We'll stay open here another day, just in case you have some closing thoughts.  I want take one more opportunity to thank you all -  you've been great participants!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #442 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:15 PM »
Zounds!  I've been going through the final pages of posts - and a light bulb just went offffff-

Matthew made this comment:

"I personally do believe Dickens would not have had a settled plan for an ending--from looking at the evidence of his writing process for his other novels and also for MED. That's not to say I think he was flying blind. I'd bet he had several paths he had ready to follow, but was taking it piece by piece as he usually did. I think that either Edwin Drood or Edwin Drood's father, who had the same name, would have come into play in the second half. There is conflicting "evidence," of course, for everything--which is part of the fun."

"I think that either Edwin Drood or Edwin Drood's father, who had the same name, would have come into play in the second half."

I've come away from Dickens' MED with a pressing question - who was Dick Datchery!  Why is he back in Cloisterham - watching Jasper John so closely?  We think we see him as an investigator of whatever happened  to Edwin Drood on Christmas Eve.  Could Dick Datchery possibly have been Edwin Drood's father?   The more I think of it, the more I'm warming to the idea.  Jasper John ought to have recognized his uncle - but not necessarily if they didn't get close to one another - and if Datchery's white hair is a disguise... But wasn't the father supposed to have died?  But why would Matthew feel that Edwin's father "would have come into play in the second half?"

matthewpearl

« Reply #443 on: November 02, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
Is this thing still on? Okay, I know we're past our date, but to answer Joan, it's just one hunch, that Edwin Drood's father would be alive. Dickens certainly has other characters in his novels who were thought to be dead and turn up alive, so that would be no sweat for him. The mention of Edwin Drood's father is pretty pointed, and there's no follow-up... maybe it's a throwaway line, but I don't think so. I think having young Drood really dead and Drood's father alive could have been one way to go. I hadn't thought of that connected with Datchery, but I like the idea!

Now you see why I got caught up in the Mystery!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: November 02, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »
Joan, that is interesting speculation about Datchery being Edwin Drood's father.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #445 on: November 03, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
Matthew, you saw the lights on...I was just going through the posts, arranging things, getting ready for the Archives.  I came across your post with the suggestion that Edwin Drood's father may have survived into Dickens'  second six episodes - and immediately thought of Dick Datchery.  Why would he come back to this town with no ties to everyone - and set up residence right next to Jasper John's place?  Following him to London...He must have a great interest in solving the mystery of what happened to Edwin Drood.  A fatherly interest would explain it.  

It's hard to put the mystery back on the shelf, isn't it. Marcie?  This is what Matthew's Longfellow was trying to tell us, I think.  

Thank you all for all of your contributions to the discussions of both Dickens'  Mystery of Edwin Drood and Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens.  We won't forget the experience!  Both discussions  can be found in the Archives.