Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049979 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #15920 on: September 11, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

In honor of September 11, 2001,  I would like to recommend a book I just absolutely love.  It is Let's Roll by Lisa Beamer the wife of the hero Todd Beamer who was on the Pennsylvania flight.  Todd was a pretty amazing man before he ever got on that plane that day.  He knew God had a special plan for him in his life, he just had not clue it would end up being a hero saving American lives.

God bless America, and may we never forget those who perished 14 yrs ago in these horrible tragedies, and God bless all their loved ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Roll-Ordinary-Extraordinary-Courage-ebook/dp/B005H3T4X4

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Steph

« Reply #15921 on: September 12, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
Yes, Campobello is on my list of places I would love to go.. never got up that far.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #15922 on: September 12, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
There is a set of mystery stories, written by one of the Roosevelt sons (Eliot) in which Eleanor is the detective. In one they are at Campobello, and he describes the sleeping arrangements. mama Roosevelt had a lavish bedroom, as did franklin, but Eleanor slept in something the size of a closet. As I recall, if franklin or Eleanor wanted to visit each other, they had to go through mama's bedroom to do so. (Wonder how they managed to have all those children?)

Steph

« Reply #15923 on: September 13, 2015, 09:07:09 AM »
I suspect that Eleanor valued her privacy very much.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15924 on: September 13, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
Jean, I have never read Enchanted April either, but it sounds like one I'd enjoy.  The film also, if I can find one with captions or subtitles.  I think the film you were wondering about might be My OLd Lady, starring Maggie Smith and Kevin Kline. Kline inherits a Paris apartment from his deceased father, but when he goes to retrieve it, he finds his father's former lover living there.  The film came out last year, and is based on a play by Israel Horowitz.  I haven't seen it, but it's offered by Amazon Prime, so maybe someday.

I first heard of Elizabeth von Armin when we read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society a few years ago. She was the author of Elizabeth and her German Garden (c1898), used by the Guernsey group to explain to the Germans why they were out and about.

Steph

« Reply #15925 on: September 14, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
sounds like  good film.. It is wonderful for the second day. 41 this morning, heavy fog boo,, but supposed to clear up in an hour or so, but stay in mid 70's..Hooray, about time.

bellamarie

« Reply #15926 on: September 15, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »
I just purchased The Enchanted April for my ipad for only $1.99.  It looks like something I just know I am going to enjoy!  Thank you Jean and Steph for mentioning it.  I'll hold off seeing the movie until I finish the book.  Most books are far better than the movies. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

marjifay

« Reply #15927 on: September 16, 2015, 06:32:30 AM »
I had just finished a mystery by Margaret Truman (a stinker I would not recommend), MURDER INSIDE THE BELTWAY, and had remembered a much better one by Elliot Roosevelt, MURDER IN THE OVAL OFFICE.  I think I'll look for some other of his books.  I don't know anyone who has heard of him as a mystery writer.  But he sure was better than Margaret Truman.  Do you remember the name of the one of his you mentioned, Joan--the one in Compabello?

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #15928 on: September 16, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »
I loved Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda and Soapdish.  I see he is in the new film Ricki and the Flash.  Had not been going to seeing it, but may now do so seeing Kline is in it.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #15929 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
Elliot Roosevelt wrote a few mysteries. They are not bad at all. Have not seen them around though for years.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15930 on: September 16, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
I've read many of the Elliot Roosevelt mysteries and like them all.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15931 on: September 16, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »
Well the weather folks have been saying we are in for a bad winter and the deer sure are giving off that message - I have not seen the deer this early and with this dark a winter coat in I bet 10 years or more - they are gobbling up every acorn almost the minute it hits the ground - it is so hard for me to wrap my head around preparing when we are still in the 90s. At least I will be able to catch up on the books in my TBR pile.

Talk about a TBR pile that I associate with my personal library have y'all seen this - the national library of China in Beijing - whow...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15932 on: September 16, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
this sounds interesting - has anyone read any of her books - she is an Italian author and this is the last in a series of 4 books

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/sep/03/the-story-of-the-lost-child-elena-ferrante-review-finale
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #15933 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
I am so tired of windows 10 interfering with what I have chosen. For some reason they work on the I know better.... Ugh.. Let me decide. Windows is a royal pain.

Frybabe

« Reply #15934 on: September 17, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Interesting Steph. My Windows 10 is working pretty much like my Windows 7, but then I am using the Firefox browser rather than theirs. I also haven't really used Cortana, although it is now functioning since I reinstalled 10. I am, however, using a desktop computer rather than a tablet, so that might make a difference in how it is set up. I tried the Microsoft Edge, but don't think it is very interesting to me.

Personally, I prefer the old desktop style rather than the newer big picture block type desktop. Chrome shifted to that a few years ago. I didn't like it, so I uninstalled Chrome. Now more websites of are setting up their pages with the big blocky pictures and captions, too. I guess they are okay for tablets and smartphones because the screens are so much smaller that it is harder to read text. As they say, pictures speak a thousand words.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15935 on: September 17, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
the pictures are one thing but what drives me up the wall is you go to read an article and out of no where this voice or music blares at you - then to try and find the ad it is coming from since there are usually 4 or 5 moving ads going at once and in that mess to find the culprit so I can shut the darn thing off - sheesh - especially at night when you want to settle down and something blares at you like a marching band.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15936 on: September 17, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
Barb, that's why I keep the sound turned off on my iPad.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Jonathan

« Reply #15937 on: September 17, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »
Wow! What an impressive view of Naples. And the same can be said for the national library of China. Barb, you amaze me. What you don't come up with in the world of books. And they're all so enticing. I've just barely started reading an earlier suggestion of yours, Robert Kaplan's Asia's Cauldron, and now I'm wondering if I should go out and get Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Quartet: 'the painful struggle to reconcile motherhood and self-determination.'

Or, as Lila has it: “The only problem has always been the disquiet of my mind. I can’t stop it. I always have to do, redo, uncover, reinforce and then suddenly undo, break.”

What an exciting time for women - birthing a new age. My head feels so heavy. For just a minute I'm going to put my head down, like those two in the library. Lower right corner, and front row center. How much can one take in. But it's all just too interesting

Steph

« Reply #15938 on: September 18, 2015, 08:54:43 AM »
I am using Firefox, but looking for stuff, revert to window 10. You type three letters and it seems to decide what you want. Bah.. I have a computer guru who set aside the picture types and gives me a home screen that i like and understand. Hurray.
I must confess that very very large libraries are ok, but I much prefer smaller more intimate ones. Where I am in summers, the library is new and beautiful, but really resembles a lovely large home with lots of books, etc and I do love it.

bellamarie

« Reply #15939 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
They just renovated the library closest to my house.  It is so very inviting, there is an area of oversized comfy chairs with coffee tables and snack and drink machines, an area of computers, at least 30 of them for free use, a children's area that is simply adorable, and there are small individual rooms you can go into by yourself to study in.  We have so many libraries in my town, and then of course our Main library downtown that is just simply beautiful.  I take my grandkids regularly to the library when they come to spend the day.  My little 4 yr old has a love of the library now, and my oldest 20 yr old granddaughter has helped illustrate the children's storybook I wrote about her when she was only 3 yrs old.  I hope I have passed on the love of reading and writing to the six of my grandchildren.  I tell them, there is no better place to escape than into a book.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15940 on: September 18, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
My ipad 2 died yesterday ( i haven't talked to Apple yet, it may be fixable) but I know some of you use the Kindle Fire, do you know if it can do most of what the ipad can do? Amazon has some good prices for it compared to the ipad, so I'm just checking with you in case I have to get something new.  :'( :'( :'(

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #15941 on: September 18, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »
I have a Kindle Fire.  I can do a great many things, but I cannot compare, as I have never used an IPad.  In fact, my Kindle does so much, that I have yet to
learn all the ins and outs of it.  I mostly just read on it.  I did buy an actual book that is supposed to tell me how to operate it, but I haven't gotten too far into that either.  Good luck.  Hope you can get the IPad fixed, or have someone to walk you thru the Kindle operations.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #15942 on: September 18, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
Tiny price. Big Fun.

The first Fire tablet ever with an everyday price under $50!

Fire, 7" Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB
By Amazon

Pre-order now for delivery Wednesday, September 30!

Amazon seems to have several KIndle Fire deals going this week.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mabel1015j

« Reply #15943 on: September 18, 2015, 02:48:18 PM »
Thank you for your feedback Tomereader.

Jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #15944 on: September 18, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »
Jean, you might need to do a "hard reset" on your iPad.  Hold the Off Button and the Home button at the same time or about 30 seconds.  Then wait a couple of minutes and turn on your iPad.  My husband had your problem with his iPad and that is what the tech did.  Been working great since then.  It is wise to turn your iPad completely off once a week for several minutes.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15945 on: September 18, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
Jean..same story here as FlaJean said...my husband was sure his was dead.  Tech at an authorized place said...uh...maybe not....and held the keys FlaJean said for a long, long, long time....and the IPAD came back to life.  We were sure the battery was dead.  Tech said this happens...stuff gets all messed up, as computer stuff can...and it needs the long hard reset.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15946 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »
I did that several times for about ten seconds, but maybe it needs a looonngger time. 😄 Thanks.

marjifay

« Reply #15947 on: September 18, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
I have Robert Kaplan's Asia's Couldron on my TBR list.

Really enjoyed his book Balkan Ghosts.  He's a very interesting writer.

Marj

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15948 on: September 18, 2015, 10:45:26 PM »
Jean....yes, much longer than 10 seconds is what the Tech did. 

Steph

« Reply #15949 on: September 19, 2015, 08:23:10 AM »
I have both an IPAD and a Kindle Fire.. The big thing for me is that the IPAD is larger, so I like to look at pictures, NY Times, etd on that. The Fire is really a nice machine however. I mostly read books on it, since it is small enough to carry in my purse when I was out. But when I was overseas last year, my gtranddaughter used the Fire to email and keep up with her friends as well as read books and taking hundreds of picturs. I asked her and she loved it, she also downloaded tons of music as well.

Frybabe

« Reply #15950 on: September 19, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
My Kindle Fire is the 7" screen. I like it, but the small screen is not to my liking for reading magazines. It also does not have a camera, which is something I want when I must get a new one.

My sister has both. She prefers the iPad.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15951 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
Can you do web searches on the Fire?

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #15952 on: September 19, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
Yes, you can. I use the Duck Duck Go Go app to do my searches. There are other search apps available, too, and browsers other than their Silk. I am not sure about the newer Kindles, but with mine, I can only download apps that are in their app. store. While there are lots of other apps available at other sites, it is (or was last I heard) a real pain in the tush to install one on a Kindle that isn't listed in their app store.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15953 on: September 19, 2015, 08:24:07 PM »
I saw two art exhibits recently that fitted in neatly with two books we read a year ago.  Robin Oliveira’s I always Loved You is fiction, telling the story of the relationship between Mary Cassatt and Edgar Degas, and the Impressionist movement they were both part of. 

David McCullough’s The Greater Journey is the story of Americans in Paris in the 1800, what they found there, and what they learned.

Both books describe in detail the revolt of the Impressionist painters against the stifling influence of the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, and their production of rival exhibitions to show the new art, which the Ecole wouldn’t tolerate.

Gods and Heroes, Masterpieces from the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, at the Portland (OR) Art museum, shows exactly what they were revolting against.  These are good works, but they are kind of stifling—rigid and formalized, following strictly to rules of subject and technique.

http://portlandartmuseum.org/godsandheroes/

Gustave Caillebotte: The Painter’s Eye, which has 2 weeks left at the National Gallery of Art, shows why they were right to rebel.  It’s a stunning show, vibrant and dramatic.

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/exhibitions/2015/gustave-caillebotte.html?from=home-page

Having read the books added a layer of subtext to the shows that made them even more enjoyable.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15954 on: September 20, 2015, 12:58:04 AM »
The Apple recommendation to reboot didn't work, so I guess i'm off to the store tomorrow to see if my ipad2 can be fixed. If not, does anyone have the ipad Air? That sounds like the next version up from the ipad 2.

Pat, you reminded me of Irving Stone's novels about Pissaro (Depth of Glory), Van Gogh (Lust for Life), and, of course, Michelangelo (The Agony and the Ecstacy). I don't know how historically accurate they are, but I remember enjoying reading them.

And didn't we read something here, I don't remember if it was fiction or non-fiction about the impressionists, many years ago? I remember the battling over getting their paintings into the big Paris show and how the impressionists ended up having their own show. Maybe that was in Stone's Pissaro book.

Jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15955 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:09 AM »
That battle would be in almost any book about an Impressionist painter.  Surely we've read several such over the years, but I don't remember being in any discussion except the two I mentioned.

Good luck with your computer dilemma.

LarryHanna

« Reply #15956 on: September 20, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Frybabe, there is a setting that will allow you to install apps from other sites such as the Amazon Store.  I have that app on my smart phone.  Do a quick Google search on how to do that and you will likely find the instructions.  I am pushed for time this morning or I would research it for you as I have forgotten the exact steps required.  It was hard but mainly a check mark, as I remember, to allow other apps to be loaded.

Mabel, there have been several new editions of the iPad since the iPad 2.  I have the iPad 3 and there have been several others.  I am very pleased with the iPad 3 as it has the retina display and Apple is still supporting it including the recent IOS 9 software that was introduced last week. 
LarryBIG BOX

Steph

« Reply #15957 on: September 20, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
Oh my,, Irving Stone. I think I read everythiing of his at one point.. Yes, i did love his books ( I know fiction(, but still fun.

Frybabe

« Reply #15958 on: September 20, 2015, 01:13:35 PM »
Thanks Larry, I'll look into it when I have a few minutes. Right now I am doing some Latin translating and listiening to Don's Classical Music program over on Seniors and Friends.

bellamarie

« Reply #15959 on: September 20, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Jean,  I too thought my ipad Air had died on me.  It was not charging, I needed to buy a new usb cord and charger.  Works like a charm now.  I was so worried it was gone.  My two sons have both owned the Kindle Fire and it broke on them within months of owning it.  My ipad is still going after 3 yrs.  They recommend you allow the ipad to full discharge once in awhile, which is what yours sound like has done.  Don't replace it until you know for sure it's not the usb cable or charger.  I was lucky we have a really great new Apple store in our mall and they checked my ipad, cords and charger for FREE!  I love Apple products!  Good luck! 

P.S.  I also own the Nook Color and it does a lot of things as well, but nothing in the world like Apple.  So many more choices in apps, and capabilities.  It's not about price for me, it's about a quality product and like Steph mentioned, the ipad Air screen is so much larger for viewing.