Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049982 times)

mabel1015j

Re: The Library
« Reply #15960 on: September 20, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Eleanor Roosevelt is the subject on First Ladies on CSPAN 3 (Amer Hist TV) from 7-9:00 now!

Jean

Steph

« Reply #15961 on: September 21, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »
I had the original IPAD, no camera, etc. Finally last year I asked if it could be updated and when the man stopped laughing, he allowed as to no.. So I got the new one and the pictures are absolutely stunning even when you are a non picture taker like me. I love both this IPAD and the Fire and use both of them every single day one way or another.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

mabel1015j

« Reply #15962 on: September 21, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Steph - which version of ipad is that?

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #15963 on: September 21, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
I have the ipad Air and the pics and videos are outstanding.  I rarely use my laptop any more since I can carry the ipad Air everywhere I go.  I have to give it up to the grandkids once they enter the door.  They had Kindles that broke and refuse to use my Nook Color. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #15964 on: September 21, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
I love Eleanor Roosevelt and have read almost every book about her that's going I have a a VHS tape called Eleanor First Lady of The World which I love. It is very collectable and I had a hard time getting it back in the day. I also have a book waiting to read on my kindle which is about the last 15 years of her life and friendship with I think his name is David something
hopefully I can start it tonight.
Mostly I read junk but it keeps me occupied. I see my neighbor taking in my garbage can. Its nice when you are so old the neighbors wait on you.
I also plan on getting your October book. I read  The White Tower about the building of the first center and the story of Chicago as it was built in  the early 1900's. Now the only reason I am going to get Oct book is that I remember literally that whole book. I read everynight of my life
and have since I was 20 years old. I remember nothing about at least 90percent of all those hundreds of books. Of course I remember Alex Delaware.  So tonight I will look at the new book.
Just think I won 't be reading trash for a few nights.

Steph

« Reply #15965 on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:20 AM »
My IPAD is the current model, but not the air.I wanted a bit larger one. I carry my Kindle everywhere but depend on the IPAD when I travel and to read nYTimes, washington post, etc. downloaded the io9 yesterday. I even gave in and let them follow me whereever I go.. hmm, but it seems reasonable. dont plan on anything too illegal.
Judy, how wonderful to hear you again. It has been a while, I read a wild mix of all sorts of fiction, nonfiction and history. I decided when I looked at Erik larsons last ones to go with  In the Garden of Beasts. I had read some reviews and had it on my look for list and there it was at Thrift books..

LarryHanna

« Reply #15966 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
Judy, have you read the book about the Roosevelt's written by Doris Kerns Goodwin.  It is over 800 pages of reading and another 200 pages of footnotes.  It was very interesting and had a lot of information by Eleanor as well as FDR.  I got it in a Kindle edition and read it on my iPad and it was very enjoyable.
LarryBIG BOX

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15967 on: September 22, 2015, 11:40:07 AM »
Oh happy happy day -- seen on Facebook, from Helen Simonson

At last I can announce that my second novel, The Summer Before the War, is available to preorder on all online sites and through your favorite independent bookstores and Indiebound. I am so excited - especially because Paula McLain and Annie Barrows have already sent me amazing blurbs. My March 22nd, 2016 pub date is going to come up so fast...

I loved Major Pettigrew and can't wait for this one.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #15968 on: September 22, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Larry I don't think I have read that one,  but I will be sure to check  on my kindle.
I have my old computer, a Samsung  tablet, my very old  kindle fire which I use every night and my phone. I think  that should be enough.
Getting ready to go to the dentist.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15969 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »
I think Eleanor Roosevelt is the woman who should be on the $10 or $20 bill. She spent more years than almost any other PERSON in free service to the US and stood for all the values of our country, and for human rights around the world.

Rosa Rios, the treasurer of the US, came to the Alice Paul Institute to explain why the Treasury Dept is looking to put a woman on the $10 bill. They are working their way through the task of making currency more diffucult to fake and the ten dollar bill is the next in line to change, so it will be easy to change the design at the same time. She wouldn't  tell which woman they have decided on, but she said she thought we would be pleased. I wasn't in that meeting but my dgt and a good friend were. Also at the same meeting was the WOMAN who is the executive in charge of IT at the White House. I am pleased that there is beginning to be an "old girls club" at that level of our country.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15970 on: September 22, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Geri Nelson, the wife of Darby Nelson sent us an email and it has been posted in the discussion For Love Of Lakes.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #15971 on: September 22, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »
One vote for Eleanor Roosevelt on the ten dollar bill.
The book I have on my kindle waiting for me is Kindred Souls.
The Devoted Friendship of Eleanor Roosevelt and Dr David Gurewitsch
By Edna P. Gurewitsch.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15972 on: September 22, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
If anyone had given me a vote, I would have voted for her too.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15973 on: September 23, 2015, 12:38:28 AM »
Got my ipad Air. Now I have to read about the thousand things it will do that I don't know about.  :-[ :-[

Jean

Steph

« Reply #15974 on: September 23, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
yes, if I got to vote, it would be Eleanor. She did so much for so many people after the war.

bellamarie

« Reply #15975 on: September 23, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »
Jean, Congratulations!!!!  You are going to LOVE the ipad Air.  It is very simple to understand and use.  Have fun!!!!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

mabel1015j

« Reply #15976 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Bellamarie- I already have had a wonderful time with it and I still have a thousand things to learn. LOL
It was because of some of the recommendations of you folks that I didn't hesitate to get it.

IOS 9 is also new on top of the new tablet! Aarrgghh. But I'm having such fun exploring them both. Btw, the battery seemed to being used up very slowly while I was using it yesterday. I usually used up about 75% of it in my regular day use. Yesterday I still had 50% of a charge left last night.

JEAN

marjifay

« Reply #15977 on: September 23, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
The IPad sounds like a helpful gadget to have, but I'm afraid it's just too expensive for me.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15978 on: September 23, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »
OK folks time to role out your welcome mat and greet Geri Nelson who has posted in our discussion of her husband's book For Love of Lakes - please share with her the warmth that is this typical of our group of readers...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #15979 on: September 24, 2015, 08:40:46 AM »
The IPAD is such a great tablet. unloaded the io9 and it is now hooked to my iphone.. all by itself.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15980 on: September 24, 2015, 05:17:28 PM »
Steph and those of you who know more about iPad Air than I do --  is it necessary to upload the new versions of OS when they are put out?  I've never done it to mine -- OS 6 or 7, not sure.  Should I?

Steph

« Reply #15981 on: September 25, 2015, 08:36:48 AM »
I always do, since the apps are set for the new versions and some of them wont download if you dont keep it up to date. It is also your first clue that your IPAD is no longer supported..
IO9 was easy and quick.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #15982 on: September 25, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
I always update my IPAD, too.  I do the same with my pc laptop.  I figure the people who wrote the programs know when they need updated and things fixed for security, etc.  and I like the new features that these updates often being.

It's free, it's easy, it's recommended....why not?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15983 on: September 25, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
Pedln, just be sure to save or have your apps, etc., saved to Itunes before you begin.

Anybody reading anything good? The leisure and relaxation you get from a good  book is worth a ton of tranquilizers, I am finding.  Maybe I need to force a little "me" time and just relax with a good read, tho frankly who can stop after 15 minutes?

What are you reading you think is good?  My DIL was telling me about The Secret Rooms and how good it was.  She says it's like Downton Abbey but it's  non fiction, she really likes it and says a local book club is discussing it. She actually got it off my TBR pile, hahaha which I think has gathered mold it's so towering and old.

It's amazing how different your taste is from time to time. I don't think everybody  understands that. They don't understand the TBR pile. "Why don't you just READ it?"

Because I'm not in the mood for XX or YYY or ZZZ at the moment?

THAT is one place the e reader shines, I have to admit it.  But if anybody took a notion of my taste from what's on my e reader it would be very revealing. hahahaa

Are you all watching the Pope on his historic travels through the US? I'm loving it.

Reading anything good?

Steph

« Reply #15984 on: September 26, 2015, 08:55:18 AM »
I have decided to try the Kindle Unlimited.. first 30 days free, then 9.99 a month for unlimited kindle stuff.. i spent that much each month for Kindle books for the past six months. Anyone else trying it?? Yes, I note that my TBR piles all over the house intrigue friends and my sons as well. They poke about and say, why have you got this one. or why dont you read it. I try to explain its a bit like a babies blankie. I need to know I have lots to read.

bellamarie

« Reply #15985 on: September 26, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
Jean, I am terrible about updating to the newer versions.  I get comfortable and then lazy and just keep saying NO.  I suppose I should.  My battery life for my ipad Air is really great!  There are things you can go into your setting and turn off that is also taking up battery life.  Go to the website and learn about which things will take from your battery that you do not need. 

Steph I do have a TBR pile but they are in perfect order on my bookcase shelf upstairs in my spare room, so I do not have to be reminded of them.  I am too OCD to have them lying around.  Don't we all feel a little excited knowing there are so many books that we would like to read, when we get around to it?  I am never without books that I started and must get back to......when the mood strikes me.

I am reading The Enchanted April at this moment.  It is a bit slow but I want to stay with it.  I am feeling a bit ADD when it comes to reading lately.  I start something and can't follow through with it. 

YES!!!!!  I have been following Pope Francis's visit to the United States.  I loved his speech to Congress and I heard he turned down a luncheon with Nancy Pelosi, and a few others so he could serve the homeless and eat with them.  Oh how I love his Holiness.  I am just overwhelmed at the numbers of people who are lining up just to get a glance of him or hear his voice, or to say they were there even if they are in lines miles away from him.  It truly shows how all denominations long for something, or someone to give them hope of better things in life.  His message is of "Love" and we all could use that for sure.

marjifay

« Reply #15986 on: September 26, 2015, 11:35:12 PM »
I'm re-reading Ken Follett's Fall of Giants.  Besides being a great story, it really helped me understand why and how World War 1 happened.

Follett is such a great writer, IMO.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #15987 on: September 27, 2015, 12:19:03 AM »
I always hesitate to get new versions for my computer system.  I have enough trouble using the one I have without having to learn and get used to a new version.  Thanks goodness my son is good with computers, as I often have to call on him to help me out.

BTW, I agree with those who would like to see Eleanor Roosevelt on the new $10 dollar bill. 

And thanks, Larry, for your suggestion of the book about the Roosevelts by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  I've put it on my TBR list.  It may be awhile, as I have 30 books out now from the library, including Margaret MacMillan's The War that Ended Peace; The Road to 1914 (739 pages).  I am finding the causes and history of that war fascinating.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15988 on: September 27, 2015, 12:35:37 AM »
I appreciate what Pope Francis is trying to do, but I could not listen to his speech to Congress.  I could only stand about 3 minutes, as I had such a hard time understanding him that I had to tune him out.  IMO, he has a very boring tone as well as trouble with English.

Marj

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #15989 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:14 AM »
The Argentine pontiff initially planned to deliver most of his messages in English, but plans have changed. Though Pope Francis has been practicing his English through the summer, he is more at ease speaking in his native language, Ein News quoted spokesman Father Federico Lombardi as saying.

“The hardest [language] for me has always been English. Above all, the pronunciation, because I don’t have an ear for it,” Pope Francis would later tell a biographer. After three months of studying in Ireland, he never caught on to English.

As a modest cleric, he spent his life in Argentina with Spanish-speaking parishioners. He could speak Italian, some German and some French. “When he became archbishop of Buenos Aires, apart from annual visits to Rome, I’m only aware of three trips he ever made,” said biographer Austen Ivereigh. “He was one of the least-traveled archbishops in the world.”

“What has always caused the most problems for me has been English, especially the phonetics.” Using the Italian word stonatissimo to describe his difficulties.  It translates as “very tone deaf.”

However, as documented in a recent poll of churchgoing Catholics, his “shortcoming” hasn’t seemed to hurt his receptivity in the United States.

Lest we forget: 50 years ago, the first pope to visit the United States, Paul VI, delivered his most important and historic speech—his fervent plea for peace at the United Nations—in French.

Frybabe

« Reply #15990 on: September 27, 2015, 06:06:37 AM »
In this morning's local news was a report that a woman smashed a store window yesterday evening in Carlisle and made off with a bunch of books.

marjifay

« Reply #15991 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:20 AM »
Where is the city of Carlisle in that article,                                                          Frybabe?.

Good grief, don't they have libraries there?

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #15992 on: September 27, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
Pennsylvania, Marj. The bookstore, unnamed in the article, is about 2-3 blocks from the Bosler Memorial Library and a block behind the county courthouse. I just did a Google street view of the corner of East Promfret and South Hanover (Rt.34). I'll be darn if I can see any book store there. The Salvation Army Senior Center has one corner.

Steph

« Reply #15993 on: September 27, 2015, 09:14:07 AM »
possibly a very very desired book..
My piles. I use baskets since I am a basket weaver. and also a few simply fabric covered basket types.. About  every other month or so, I will rearrange them,, or at least part of them. Makes me aware or what I have and how I want to change the order. The ones coming up, I keep in a basket next to my favorite chair in both homes.. I do leave some TBR in each house, so I never run out.

mabel1015j

« Reply #15994 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
O.k, o.k., o.k., I am poped out!!! He has said many good things, but his speech this morning was much about evangelizing........turned me off.

However, the biggest angst I am having at the moment is how many millions of our tax dollars are being spent on his visit!?! He just left the seminary where he stayed overnight. He was ferried to his next destination in the President's helicopter!?! Not only did he fly in the US govt helicopter, but there was, of course, a Marine Corps crew piloting it. AND accompanying that helicopter were two others, both US GOVT equipment, flying the American flag. I get the need for security and I was a bit miffed at all the money Phila is spending, but I assume they are recouping much of that from the 100s of thousand of visitors/shoppers that they have. But, the Vatican can't pay for their own helicopters??? My tax money is being used!?! So much for separation of church and state!

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #15995 on: September 27, 2015, 10:58:42 AM »
I agree with Larry's recommendation, Doris Kearns Goodwin's No Ordinary Time about the Roosevelts during the 30s and 40s is a wonderful book. It reads like a novel even though it is packed with tons of info and facts.

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15996 on: September 27, 2015, 11:03:06 AM »
I have not read No Ordinary Time, would it make a good book discussion?

There is so much on the Roosevelts now. That PBS show they did on them was out of this world. I half think it's on youtube, but even if not I am sure it's on Netflix.

Frybabe

« Reply #15997 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
I'm guessing, Jean, that since Vatican City is considered an independent country, that the Pope's visit, though primarily a religious thing to most, is also treated as a head of state visit. Here are some interesting tidbits about Vatican City and why it is considered a country/state. http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/vaticancountry.htm

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15998 on: September 27, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »
Thanks, folks, for your input about updating iPads and computers.  I guess I'm sort of a nervous Nellie and am afraid I'll goof up the system.

Ginny, how do you save an app to iTunes?  I guess I just assumed once I got an app that it was mine.

Steph, I'll be interested in hearing how you like Kindle Unlimited.  I'm a slow reader and can't see that I'd get my moneys worth --especially when there are so many other options for selection.  Two books a month, three at the most is as much as I can handle.

Does Unlimited provide current best sellers and recent publications such as Franzen's new novel, Purity, or Larson's Dead Wake?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15999 on: September 27, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Pedln, you do a back up to ITunes  first and they will urge you to do that, so you don't lose anything you have bought. APPs which are free might not stay. In case anything goes wrong, since you are somewhat behind in your updating, and it can, you will still have your stuff safe. That's what that IS, it's a backup of your own stuff.

How to do it: somebody here needs to help me out with this. Here's what I do. I downloaded I Tunes on my computer. Then I turn it on. Then I connect the I device to the Itunes by the cable. Then it takes it from there. It talks about sincing, making your idevice the same as the backup on the computer, yes you want that.  First it will probably ask you don't you want to update to 9? Yes, you do. Then it will say first sinc or backup your files.  Which you click yes to. That might take a while.

If you have Wi Fi the whole thing MIGHT work without the computer. I just got WIFi and somebody here would have to tell you how with it.  Good luck!