Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049935 times)

Steph

Re: The Library
« Reply #16040 on: October 06, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

I do someGreat Courses,but use the DVD's.  The ones who trace back things in the bible are really good.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

LarryHanna

« Reply #16041 on: October 06, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Ginny, we you all adversely impacted by the flooding?  We were not impacted here at all, just 2 1/2 inches of rain.  Sure nice to see the clear sky and the sun this morning.     
LarryBIG BOX

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16042 on: October 06, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
Isn't it though? I'm glad you all are OK there.  The early reports on the national news were from Spartanburg, ironically  about 12 milies north of us toward the mountains. The gigantic hole in the street which swallowed a truck, and the cars on the car lot being swept away under the railroad trestle were from this area.

We're on top of a hill so our only danger was the trees falling and the loss of power, especially since the power lines run right through one of our fields of planted pines, but tho some came down, the rest held and the power is still on. We've dodged a bullet, thank God, in the Storm for 1000 Years as they called it but those poor people in the lower part of the state!!

I can't get over that guy on the news last night rowing up to his house which was set 18 feet off the ground like they are in that area...where was it, Summerville?.... and it had risen 20 feet and destroyed that beautiful home. How on earth can something rise 20 feet?

No we're fine and the sun is shining, thank you for asking! ;)  Glad you are OK.  What a strange sight that was on radar, tho.

Tomereader1

« Reply #16043 on: October 06, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »
My f2f book club just finished reading, what I feel is a wonderful book, by Mary Doria Russell, titled "Doc".  It is primarily about Doc Holliday from Tombstone fame, but it has all the other characters, i.e. the Earps, and takes place before the O.K. Corrall happening in Tombstone.  This novel set in Dodge City, KS in the prime of cattle drives, lawlessness, gambling, drinking, prostitution and politics.  It is an in-depth study of John Henry (Doc) Holliday from the time he left Atlanta, GA
until just before they all ended up in  Tombstone, Arizona and the OK Corral.  The author did exhaustive research, and it definitely shows in the story.  Our group was totally surprised at the level of dentistry practiced by Doc.  While a lot of so-called "doctors" of this era were primarily quacks/charlatans, dentistry had progressed professionally.
I recommend this book highly.  As befits the time period, the location, it reflects the rough-hewn characters, and is definitely "raw" in places, i.e. language,but nothing like in today's movies.  I think it is a very honest portrayal of life as lived in the "wild West" if you will.   
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #16044 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »
Oh darn! The battery on my original Kindle 2nd gen is dying. I am having a hard time finding a new battery for it. It top it off, I will have to buy a toolkit to perform surgery on the thing to even get the battery out. The alternative is to take it to an "authorized dealer" (according to the Kindle guide, a must), the name of which I will have to get from Amazon. I saw someone on the net wants $59 do pop the case and install a new battery (guaranteed only for a year). The older Kindles were not set up for just anyone to replace the battery, don't know about the new ones.

Considering the improvements and the probable cost to get and install a new battery for the old one, I am going to opt to buy a new one, or make do with my Kindle Fire and my desktop. Good thing I backed up my Kindle 2nd gen ebooks a while back. Most of the books on my old Kindle are freebies from Project Gutenberg or Many Books.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16045 on: October 07, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
I think that is a factor considered in not only tech products but most appliances as well - obsolescence - which puts us in the unattainable position of a costly fix so that a replacement for just a bit more seems reasonable - then we are inundated with messages about the waste in our throw away society - seems the profit center for most manufacturers depend on and plan for a throw away product...grrrr

I found that with refrigerators that cost less than $1600 - after spending nearly as much on a repair for a refrigerator I simply started to replace them which was happening just a month past the date of warranty - went through 3 of them and finally have a Westinghouse that so far is still going strong at 4+ years -

Since I do not seem to use my kindle except at home I had early on purchased a USB wire and keep it plugged in. After reading your post I ought to test it by taking it off the wire and see just how long it will last.   
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #16046 on: October 07, 2015, 08:26:10 AM »
Had the same thing happen to my fridge - one month after warranty died.

I thought about just keeping my Kindle 2nd gen "on the wire". I also set it back to factory, which supposedly wiped out all my books (good thing I backed up all my Gutenberg and Many Books downloads) except for access to my Kindle storage. Oddly, it did wipe the books, but not my collection folders. The really odd thing is that it was losing its mind and I had to redo the folders three times. Guess what! ALL, the folders showed up, even the ones that disappeared. It's other problem is that it doesn't want to shut down and reboots often, even with the wired connection. Could have something to do with the battery, but it could be something else too. Time for a new one.

Steph

« Reply #16047 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »
I have a Kindle Fire and it is splendid about batteries. My new IPHONE... not so much. It seems to gobble up battery time.. Maybe I am doing something stupid,, I plug my IPAD in pretty close to every day but I do use it heavily.. it is my avenue to NYTimes, Washington Post, etc along with my Activity band. and of course some lovely fun games

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16048 on: October 07, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
Steph, I understand smart phones come programmed with a lot of battery-time-eating apps that you might never use, i.e. GPS, looking for wifi connections, etc.  Those you can probably turn off.  I'm sure in your rural area of NC, there aren't too many wifi connections around, so your phone is using up a lot of battery-time searching.  You might check in settings and see if there are some of those you can turn off, unless you're active using them.  I hope you have a safe trip south.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16049 on: October 07, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »
Ginny it seems like just a few months ago I was at your house.
Big Lincoln--------------Too bad you aren't closer Candi and I just got back from a week-end trip to La Conner and Anacortes.  Her leaveing was tough, may have to start packing up.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16050 on: October 07, 2015, 06:24:07 PM »
I know it must have been hard to leave Candi.

Oh the "big Lincoln" is not mine. :) It IS rather like a tank, isn't it? hahaha

bellamarie

« Reply #16051 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:09 AM »
If your iphone or ipad is using up it's battery too soon, you need to go into the settings and turn off things you do not use.  You can also dim the light to save on battery life.  Be sure when you are finished with your ipad or iphone before shutting it down, double click, and swipe all the programs that are still open away or they will remain open using up battery life.  I had no idea until my 13 yr old grandson showed me this.  There are numerous ways to help save on the battery.  Go to google, type in ways to save on ipad/ iphone battery and it will give you instructions.  My devices last the entire day now.  Another little tidbit about replacing batteries of devices that are years old, the battery you are purchasing is as old as when the device was made, and even though it has not ever been opened, it loses life, so when you pay $59 or more to replace for an older device, you will be lucky if it lasts a year. One other bit of info, be sure to allow your device to completely drain its battery at least once a month.  I have a laptop that is a few years old and the battery died, so I just use it with the ac outlet plug.  Since I have an ipad Air and iphone I really don't mind having my laptop plugged in. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Steph

« Reply #16052 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
interesting, I have no problems finding everything on my IPAD, but the phone is defeating me. Thhis Verizon store does not do classes and neither does the library, When I get home, I can take a class and figure out where things are. I am sure there is GPS, but darned if I can find it.. I do wish wish these things came with a direction book.. I am old and love the convenience of a book to look up things. Google is fine, but  I like printed for stuff like this.

LarryHanna

« Reply #16053 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »
A quick Google search will usually provide answers to most of the questions I have had in using my iPad or my Android phone.  It seems that usually it is a young person who has prepared a video demonstration.  Steph, can you call your Verizon store and ask them what the name of the GPS program is.  Mine is called WAZE but it only runs when I use it and it I can easily shut it down. 
LarryBIG BOX

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16054 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:26 AM »
Steph...do you have google maps on your phone?

That's what the Verizon woman told me to use on my android and what my sister uses on her iphone.

bellamarie

« Reply #16055 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:45 AM »
Steph I use Google.  If I need directions I simply hit the microphone icon at Google and say where I want to go.  So easy and simple.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16056 on: October 08, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »
Frybabe, maybe I"m being naive, but I've been assuming that if I lost all the books on my Kindle that Amazon would replace them.  Right now all my books are in four places -- iPad, Kindle, smartphone, and desktop.  If I were to buy a new Kindle (not planning to right now) I would hope that all my current books would eventually  appear there.  Hopefully the cloud will never burst.

A few years ago someone here left a kindle on an airplane.  I don't know if she got her books back on a new kindle or not.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #16057 on: October 08, 2015, 09:52:04 PM »
As I understand it, the books are kept at Amazon or B&N, if that's where you bought them.  They're in your account...your "library" there, and you download them to whatever device you use from your account.  I had to deregister from Amazon when I had a problem with one title.  All my Amazon books...well over 1100 were no longer on my Ipad, but they were all still in my Amazon account. I just download them again from that account/ from that "cloud" and they're back on my IPAD....or my android phone or my pc laptop. 

Frybabe

« Reply #16058 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
You are correct,Pedln. My Amazon books will download.  Most of he books on my old Kindle are downloaded from Project Gutenberg or Many Books. I have them backed up on my desktop. My new Paperwhite arrives tomorrow, so I will be having fun on the weekend transferring them over.

Wow Jane, 1100?  Between my Amazon books and the other sources, I think I only have around 860.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16059 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »
Pedln, I left my Kindle on an airplane several years ago.  My books are in the amazon library - and they were all still there when I got a new device.  I had a second Kindle, and now an iPad, and I have access to all the books that are in my account. I share the with two daughters, and I have access to their books, too, on whichever device I choose to use (including my android phone).
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #16060 on: October 08, 2015, 11:53:25 PM »
Wow! 8, 900, 1000 ebooks!?! I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get the 50 or so I have on my ipad read. I just had a thought, some of you mentioned your pcs, can i read my Kindle/Amazon ebooks on my pc?

Mary, what is the process for sharing your books with your dgts? My son and I share Netflix just by my going in on his name and password. Is it similar?

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16061 on: October 09, 2015, 06:35:55 AM »
Jean, one of the daughters set it up, but we share an Amazon account.  We each can buy our own books, and pay for them with our own credit cards (when we remember  ::) ).  We had added John to the account, and I just called Amazon and told them that we wanted to add him, and the tech hit a few key strokes, and it was done.  As I understand it, when an account like that is set up, each would have access to all books acquired after that point by either person, but not before that.  You'd have to ask to be sure about that, though.  So when I buy a book, it asks me which device I want it sent to.  Or if I go to the listing of books, I can have one sent to whatever device I prefer at that point.  Give them a call- their tech folks are very nice.

Steph

« Reply #16062 on: October 09, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
hmm, yes  Google has directions, but if you are trying to do something on that particular gadget, it simply does not work for me. For one thing, I always laugh at the directions because they say.. boom... will be at the bottom of the screen and darn it all. Boom is not there. Sigh. Google maps.. hmm,that I will check out because it probably is.. But then I never use a Gps on any of the gadgets. I have a Garmin individual and love it.. works in car or hand held..although truth is I prefer a map in my hand in strange cities, they often show me something that looks interesting and I can make a detour.
In the end, I just want the phone to be a phone.. take pictures and text.. My IPAD is my go to for all else.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #16063 on: October 09, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
Jean...yes, you can read Kindle or Nook books on your PC.  You just need to download their app for pc to your computer.  I have both Nook (Barnes and Noble) and Kindle (Amazon) ebooks...so I have  both the Nook app and the Kindle app on my PC and on my IPAD.

Download & Install the Latest Version of Kindle for PC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201245960

mabel1015j

« Reply #16064 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
Thank you Mary and Jane for your advice.

Mary, I hope you are - huummm, I don't know what words to use, every word seems to be too superficial for the lose you have had. I imagine you must miss John terribly. I can also imagine that your dgts must be a real comfort for you. I think of you often and send good thoughts for whatever makes you feel better.

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16065 on: October 09, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
Thanks, Jean - things have been so busy and moving so quickly, with SO much to do, I don't think I've really had a chance to totally feel the loss.  I know I will and undoubtedly sooner rather than later - and will totally crash.  Our girls have been incredible!  I'm getting settled into my new apartment and will be getting more involved and meeting some new folks over the upcoming days and weeks.  As many of us know, it just takes time.  All the good thoughts are appreciated and definitely felt.  Thanks, again.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16066 on: October 09, 2015, 04:09:23 PM »
I just downloaded Kindle for PC, answered the survey from Amazon AND ordered my FREE gift! I don't usually go for those things, but since it was Amazon, I took a chance. I've had nothing but good, easy success in dealing with them. I got a nice watch ...... well, I don't have it yet, but it's been selected! :)

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16067 on: October 09, 2015, 05:07:09 PM »
I'm sorry but I love Amazon. Just love them. That Prime is the best thing that ever happened to anybody. I love it.

Steph, my new iphone has the map app type thing  which came with it, I didn't know what it was and didn't want to,  till one day my Garmin gave out and I was desperate to try to find a place in Greenville and found it on the iphone map,  and put the iphone on the seat while I was driving  and heard talking. I thought who is talking (besides me to myself hahahaha) and picked it up and by George the little devil talks, too. Who knew?  Now I wouldn't use Garmin in place of it if you paid me, and I've got two of them.  It talks.

You don't have to pay for it to talk, you don't have to have this bulky mess all connected  on the dash,  it talks. The maps are up to date, you don't have to pay for upgrading  that either like you do with the GPS systems,  and it works overseas, you don't have to pay for THOSE maps, either extra,  on foot. I wouldn't take anything for it.

And it IS nice to have your books in the cloud. I am not surprised Jane has 1100, she's really a reader like Joan K.  I think every day needs to have some book and a walk in it so that one can be well rounded, myself. It's finding the TIME to have the book and the walk, MAKING time, that's the issue. I am totally spoiled by Amazon. I admit it.

:)

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16068 on: October 09, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
I must be really lucky have had both kindle and
my phone for a long time and never had to replace
a battery.
ginny I really need to go to the  cracker barrel.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16069 on: October 09, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »
From Open Culture, 1940s radio broadcast readings of great novels and gave college credit to listeners. Hear the sample hour of Main Street.

http://www.openculture.com/2015/10/nbc-university-theater-adapts-great-novels-to-radio-gives-listeners-college-credit-hear-110-episodes-from-a-1940s-elearning-experiment.html

Cluck on the blue "NBC University Theater" to see and hear the whole lineup.

What a great idea.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #16070 on: October 10, 2015, 01:33:40 AM »
Cluck, or click, whichever works for you ;D >:(

I tried to "modify" it at the time, it wouldn't let me save the changed, now it's too late.  :)

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16071 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
hmm, so it talks.. I do have problms with talking things in that I wear hearing aids, so cannot use ear phones.. but I will see how this works out, since I am going home tomorrow, I know the way,but will see how it acts..I have the Kindle app on myIPAD. You used to be able to use the same app for ordering and having, but now you have to use Amazon to order.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16072 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:06 AM »
You don't have to use earphones to hear Siri (that's the name of the iphone voice).  My SIL sticks his iphone somewhere in the front seat and I can hear her loud and clear.  And I have hearing aids too.  You can also talk to her and ask her to tell you how to get somewhere.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16073 on: October 10, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
Stephanie,  you might want to check this list of roads and bridges closed in the lower part of SC before trying to drive thru it to Florida, if that's your plan:  http://www.scdot.org/getting/StormResources.aspx

If using I-95 there are quite a few warnings for it here this morning for example, and it's 90 percent chance of rain today:

http://dbw.scdot.org/roadconditions2/default.aspx

It covers all roads not just the Interstates: here's an example of what they are saying there:

15  All Lanes Blocked
CLOSED FROM EXIT 119 TO EXIT 135. OUR REVIEW OF THE BRIDGES OVER THE BLACK AND POCOTAGLIO RIVERS WAS COMPLETED AND CANNOT BE RE-OPENED AT THIS TIME. DAILY EVALUATIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED TO RE-OPEN ADDITIONAL PORTIONS OF I-95 WHEN POSSIBLE. 

Judy,  hhahahaa  You and the Cracker Barrel, you could make a tour of the US based on  Cracker Barrels now.  They are pretty much everywhere except California and apparently Washington.  I haven't been in one in years. :)

mabel1015j

« Reply #16074 on: October 11, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
Those poor folks in SC, the hits just keep coming. Apparently none of our Seniorlearn family has been damaged.

I haven't used Siri on my new ipad yet. I just don't remember to ask before I've typed in my request. My g-son "talks" to her frequently on his phone.  :)

I have downloaded the Kindle for PC app, thanks for your guidance.

Jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16075 on: October 11, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
I'm sorry but I love Amazon. Just love them. That Prime is the best thing that ever happened to anybody. I love it.

Ginny, ditto, ditto, ditto.  I love, love, love Amazon.  You can reach them, talk to them, without having to wait forever on hold.  I give them five stars for customer service.  (Unlike Time Magazine which dumped me after I finally found a real person who couldn't answer my questions.)

Steph

« Reply #16076 on: October 13, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
Thanks Ginny,

Since I live in central Florida, I go 441 to 129 south in Georgia and then straight down I-75, so no water problems. The worse motel in the history of motels.. Walls so thin, when they turned their shower on, I raced to the bathroom because I thought the water was on in mine..Sigh.. and garbage collection at 4am is not really fun, but I am home ( yesterday around noon)and relearning where I put things.. and trying to catch up on lots. This computer does not have Windows10 installed or Mozilla, so I need to get busy, but I am truly weary. I am going to spend some of the winter trying to decide if the lovely somewhat cooler weather in the mountains is worth all of the smaller problems.. we will see. I have Siri, but so far I seem to forget. Have to teach myself to remember.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16077 on: October 13, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Steph, I was just wondering if you had reached the point where the moving back and forth was too much.  Tough decisions. 

bellamarie

« Reply #16078 on: October 13, 2015, 10:37:48 AM »
Steph, We have a Garmin as well, and stopped using it once I realized all I have to do is use my iphone and yes, it talks to you and I love that feature.

Maryz, So sorry to hear about your loss.  Sounds like a good plan to share all your books with your daughters. 

Once you purchase an ebook or song from any site it is yours forever!  You can read or listen to them on any device you have.  My grandkids come over and play games on my ipad Air.  Once they go home I delete them, and when they come again they just go to App store, purchased, and boom there they all are.  I really love the icloud!   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16079 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
Glad you arrived safely, Stephanie. That's what my husband said, I doubt she'll go thru SC, but I thought how else is there? I see how else. :)

I don't have Windows 10 either and don't want it.

I just found out how to turn off the WiFi of my ATT UVerse router. I had seen a video on the internet (where there are millions of nuts doing videos) and I am not Randy Quaid (yet),  but this guy had a RF meter and the levels from his router were 10,000 and higher. And also through the house, still high levels...thing sounded like a Geiger counter striking paydirt.

He showed how to get rid of it, by connecting Ethernet to the Uverse router and the computer and turning off the WiFi on the ATT site which I did with help from the ATT Uverse technician). Nothing to it.   The technician who had put IN my router had already connected it with an Ethernet cable, he said a lot of the older computers don't have wireless ...ability. Or something like that.  So all it takes is one visit to the ATT website and 5 seconds of turning off a button.

You could turn it on if you wanted to sinc ipads or iphones.  And turn it back off more quickly than it took to type this. The connection for internet is as fast as it was, which is lightning fast. He said you might even see some improvement.   But when this is done in the video the meter is silent.

A silent meter might not matter to those who don't sit next to it all day long, but those who do might like to know this is a viable, quick, and easy solution. I really think this guy (I can't find the video now and just as well, it's scary but it was on the Natural News network) has done a tremendous service and so if you are at all concerned about the RF radiation given off by your router, this is a great way to eliminate it while keeping the  internet speed. You will NOT have Wi Fi if it's off, if that's important to you. It's not to me.

Just saying. I don't know why there's not more out there about this, but it's something that even I can do.