Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049681 times)

Steph

Re: The Library
« Reply #16440 on: January 09, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Women write much speculative fiction.. I love Margaret Atwood, Ursula le Guin Elizabeth Moon,, etc, on and on..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16441 on: January 09, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
Yes, good ones Frybabe - can't add now just popping in but i will - looking mostly for women who write from a historical perspective - many who write bio's that are by their very nature historical but out and out history and a novel strongly based in history because Jean is right there is only a tiny fraction of women authors who write history.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #16442 on: January 10, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »
Ah, well then. Woman historians of non-fiction - How about Stacy Schiff who wrote Cleopatra: A Life and Retha Warnicke whose works Phillipa Gregory consulted when writing her novel, The Other Boleyn Girl. And then there is Haruko Wakita who is an expert in medieval Japanese women's history. She was awarded Japans' prestigious Order of Culture in 2010. Very few of her works have been translated into English, though.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16443 on: January 10, 2016, 08:50:52 AM »
I think featuring a book by a woman writer (in any subject), (you all could vote on what the parameters to choose one  are) for our 20th Year of Reading is an excellent idea! I'm for it!

Steph

« Reply #16444 on: January 10, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
Depends on what you are after. I like some woman authors, but others drive me nuts.. If I pick up one more book and it starts out as a huge amount of name brand clothes, etc etc, I simply throw them away now.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16445 on: January 10, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »
whew looked up Haruko Wakita on Amazon and her least expensive book is just under $65 with another over $100 and still another just under $350 - mostly about women in Japanese history.

Just hit me Cokie Roberts wrote several books about the wives of ex Presidents - so that would be a current woman published historian.

And yes, I read Stacy Shiff - she wrote the Saint Exupéry bio (author Little Prince) that I started and it got waylaid along the way.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16446 on: January 11, 2016, 03:39:30 AM »
Haha this is called Reading Time

Steph

« Reply #16447 on: January 11, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
Hmm computer guru came to install windows 10,, all was well, then yesterday the whole thing seems to have collapsed, etc. Trying to get him to call me..cell phone in for service,, has to use land line.. computer,, this part works, but email..not a chance and all of the little icons at the bottom of the screen are vanished.. Boo.

Frybabe

« Reply #16448 on: January 11, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
Make use with "computer guru" that all drivers are current. That is what messed me up at first. I thought they were all up to date but it turned out there were one or two that weren't The blasted Windows 10 upgrade does a check and said all was well. It lied.

Had trouble with my video adapter (which is an ATI Radeon HD-4200) because it insisted it needed the most current update. Unfortunately it was telling me I needed the update from the current company (ATI was bought out) and it screwed up my video. I finally did find the last update for the adapter before the ATI was sold. That one works just fine.

I like Windows 10 jus fine, but that is because I use the screen that looks like Windows 7. I really abhor all the websites and such going to the huge picture buttons that take up so much space and make you scroll so much more. But the, I also prefer to read my news on the cumputer rather than watch clips.

Steph

« Reply #16449 on: January 12, 2016, 09:05:46 AM »
Yes, he configures the screen to suit me.. The problem seems to be that an update is missing.. He is coming today at 1 to see what is what. I feel like an idiot, but I cannot get past the screen that comes up and Mozilla is still functioning. Hooray for that.

Frybabe

« Reply #16450 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
Steph, I have a much harder time finding my way around the settings than I did with the Window 7 control panel. Not only that, once I found where I need to be, I forget where I found it the next time I want to check or do something. Sigh!

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #16451 on: January 12, 2016, 01:42:29 PM »
What I think is a bargain. On your Library IBooks for your IPad. Today I found for $1.99 "100 popular Classics" All on one App. I put it on. Like the way you can bring each up.
Wish it was out for my Amazon Fire Reader.  Would really be handy on there as I am only putting a few books on it. Can carry it in my purse.

bellamarie

« Reply #16452 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »
Oh Steph, good luck with that Windows 10.  I refuse to upgrade to it.  I have heard it causes nothing but headaches and chaos.  I like to think I am pretty techy since I taught, installed upgrades and repaired computers in our elementary Catholic school for 15 years.  This Windows 10 is such a mess that the tech guy at Office Max said he refuses to install it in his computer. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

bellamarie

« Reply #16453 on: January 12, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Oh dear me, I can not believe it's been before the holidays I checked in with the library discussion.  I hope it's not too late to wish you all a very Happy New Year!! 

Jonathan
What a pleasure it would be, meeting all of you at a book gathering this year, and I know of just the place. Edith Wharton's The Mount, in western Massachusetts. Herman Melville's place is just up the road, and Hawthorne's place just beyond that. There always seems to be a music festival going on, in the Berkshires. Not too far away is Emily Dickinson's house in Amherst. (What a life. I've just started reading Lives Like Loaded Guns, ED and her Family's Feuds.) The House of Mirth made for a great discussion early on. Not long after that my wife and I toured The Mount with plans to visit HM's Arrowhead later in the day. By the time we got there all visitations had been cancelled and we were left sitting in the car listening to the dreadful news. It was the morning of 9,11. It does bring back a lot of memories.

I have always wanted to travel to the east coast, Martha's Vineyard is actually on my bucket list. Any place in Boston sounds wonderful especially since I will be getting to meet everyone, and see these lovely homes of famous authors. I mentioned to my hubby about our bookclub possibly meeting up and he was actually excited.  I have spoken to him throughout the years of all of you and our discussions and he feels like he has been a member right along with all of us. 

Jean,  What a wonderful idea to bring more focus on female writers in 2016.  I too would love to read as you put it:
a bibliography for each of the sessions I will be presenting, if you would like I can tell you each week what is on that bibliography. They are all non-fiction books, of course and most of them are female authors.

Maybe we should spend a year talking about and/or reading female non-fiction. Of course a lot of the fiction books we talk about here are by female authors, so we are doing our part there in supporting them.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

nlhome

« Reply #16454 on: January 12, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »
One of the computers I use at my volunteer "job" has been upgraded to Windows 10, and I find it easy to work with. However, I have not yet had the courage to update my personal computer. My son tells me not to worry. He used to tell me that all the time when he was a teen and in college - so I worry.

marjifay

« Reply #16455 on: January 13, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
One of my must reads for 2016 is Truman by David McCullough.  I bought this book a couple of years ago and have just never gotten around to reading it.  Someone in another book discussion group said she had just read it and liked it very much, which made me want to finally read it.  Truman was one of my favorite presidents.

Marj

tr
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #16456 on: January 13, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
OK.. What was wrong with the computer is a cortana freeze.. It took him maybe three minutes to free it up, had to do with deleting cortana, which I dislike from the computer, There was an update that froze if you did not have cortana, they have instituted a patch.. So all is normal and windows 10 at this point, looks just like the screen I love and keep, none of that nonsense pictures. I can get there if I want, but dont have to.
Now, Apple tells me they tested my phone and it is perfect, so they are sending it back. I guess I will spend the rest of my two year contract plugging it in every night and calling Apple names.. I did get a book IPHONE for seniors. Maybe that will help.

bellamarie

« Reply #16457 on: January 13, 2016, 01:17:20 PM »
Glad to hear you are back up and running Steph.  Hopefully nothing else turns up with the Windows 10.  I just am not ready to chance it since. I have gotten to the point of not liking changes or problems to figure out.  I fear I will have to accept it one day. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16458 on: January 13, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
I got a new laptop with Windows 10 already on it.  I haven't had any problems, other than having to learn how to maneuver their systems.  If you have questions, our sister site, Seniors & Friends, has several discussion groups on computer things:  Computer Q&A, Windows 10, iPads/tablets/etc.  There are some very helpful folks there, and they can probably help with lots of things.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #16459 on: January 13, 2016, 09:36:32 PM »
Maryz, if you purchase a computer with it already installed you should not have problems.  It's us who would be upgrading to it that would have to do updates to other programs to make it compatible with Windows 10. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16460 on: January 13, 2016, 10:41:44 PM »
bellamarie, I just suggested S&F as a place where folks who had questions might find some help. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #16461 on: January 14, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Hmm, my computer guru modifies the program to suit the customer.. I can get to the windows 10 screen, but prefer me old one with my favorites where I want them.. The phone.. came back with no sim card, even though apple insisted it was my original phone. Went to Verizon and got a free Sim card and he laughed when I told him what Apple said.. His opinion is if you are as popular as they are, you say what you want. I got a book about IPHONE s and hopefully this will help me with it.

Frybabe

« Reply #16462 on: January 18, 2016, 10:54:34 AM »
I got myself caught up in listening to some Spanish classical music. Ante El Escorial is one that I used to play over and over again as a youngster. I thought is was quite haunting.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G4SL1kc9Ic

Then I decided to find out just what El Escorial is.  http://el-escorial.com/

Of course I zeroed in on the beautiful library.
http://p0.storage.canalblog.com/09/63/490619/35050848.jpg

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16463 on: January 18, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
That's gorgeous.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16464 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »
OMGoodness! That library is amazing.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16465 on: January 18, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
His name popped up when we read The Elephant's Journey by Saramago - Philips father was Charles V of France and Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, named Charles I in Spain. During his time as King and also Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, mostly through marriages Philip controlled and had the tax benefits of half of Europe - His one sister was married the Maximilian II of Austria and on top they had their flag planted in both North American and big time in South America - it was the first nation that the phrase the sun never sets applied - all to say the wealth of Spain at the time was enormous and often these grand monasteries as well as small chapels were built as a penance for sins - so thank goodness we had so many erring Kings. ;)   

Steph

« Reply #16466 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »
The ancient kings intermarried to the point, that they were mostly defective humans. Such a shame..The English brought in new lines and that helped them.

bellamarie

« Reply #16467 on: January 19, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
maryz, Thanks for the S&F suggestion.  If I ever upgrade to Windows 10 I may need it.

Frybabe, I could get lost in that library just wandering around and admiring the magnificent paintings.

Steph, My neighbor bought a tablet from Verizon, mind you she has her phone account with them.  She got home and could not get connected to wifi inside her home.  She went back to the store and whatever they did made it impossible for her to even use it outside her house now.  Oh technology.....it's like an oxymoron, we can't live with it and we can't live without it. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16468 on: January 19, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »
bellamarie are you on bottled water or what is the latest for you...

Steph

« Reply #16469 on: January 20, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
How weird about the tablet.. I think my glitches are cured for now, but know they will come again in another form.. Too much tech stuff.. and it is getting harder and harder to figure out what to do. I am determined to mostly use my phone for calls and some texting and not all of the hundreds of pictures, etc and videos..

LarryHanna

« Reply #16470 on: January 20, 2016, 08:51:18 AM »
Bellamarie, there are two types of communication available with a tablet.  The first is where it only has wi-fi access and thus you have to be where that is available.  The second is a tablet with both wi-fi and data (i.e. 4g or LTE type connection) and when the data plan is on you can use the taablet about anywhere.  The one with the data plan always costs more than just one with the wi-fi type of connection.  My guess is this is why your neighbor can't get connected outside her home.  With just wi-fi you can get online in other places that have wi-fi if it is an open connection or if the username and password are shared with you. 
LarryBIG BOX

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16471 on: January 20, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
From BBC world news - Fairy Tale Origins Thousands of Years Old

Fairy tales like Beauty and the Beast can be traced back 4,000 years, according to researchers at universities in Durham and Lisbon.

Using techniques normally employed by biologists, academics studied links between stories from around the world and found some had prehistoric roots.

They found some tales were older than the earliest literary records, with one dating back to the Bronze Age.

The stories had been thought to date back to the 16th and 17th Centuries.

Durham University anthropologist Dr Jamie Tehrani, said Jack and the Beanstalk was rooted in a group of stories classified as The Boy Who Stole Ogre's Treasure, and could be traced back to when Eastern and Western Indo-European languages split more than 5,000 years ago.

Analysis showed Beauty And The Beast and Rumpelstiltskin to be about 4,000 years old.

And a folk tale called The Smith And The Devil, about a blacksmith selling his soul in a pact with the Devil in order to gain supernatural abilities, was estimated to go back 6,000 years to the Bronze Age.

Once upon a time...
A blacksmith strikes a deal with a malevolent supernatural being, such as the Devil, Death or a genie. The blacksmith exchanges his soul for the power to weld any materials together. He then uses this power to stick the villain to an immovable object, such as a tree, to renege on his side of the bargain.

This basic plot is stable throughout the Indo-European speaking world, from India to Scandinavia, according to the research.

The study said this tale could be traced back to the Proto-Indo-European society when metallurgy likely existed and there was archaeological and genetic evidence of massive territorial expansions by nomadic tribes from the Pontic steppe (the northern shores of the Black Sea) between 5,000 and 6,000 years ago.

However, John Lindow, a folklorist at the University of California, Berkeley, casts doubt on the theory in Science News, saying the Proto-Indo-European vocabulary for working with metal was limited and the word "smith" might not have existed.

If true, that would mean the version of "The Smith and the Devil" used in the study may not be that old, he said.
'Pretty remarkable'

Dr Tehrani, who worked with folklorist Sara Graca Da Silva, from the New University of Lisbon, said: "We find it pretty remarkable these stories have survived without being written.

"They have been told since before even English, French and Italian existed. They were probably told in an extinct Indo-European language."

In the 19th Century, authors the Brothers Grimm believed many of the fairy tales they popularised, including Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Hansel and Gretel and Snow White, were rooted in a shared cultural history dating back to the birth of the Indo-European language family.

Later thinkers challenged that view, saying some stories were much younger and had been passed into oral tradition, having first been written down by writers from the 16th and 17th Centuries.

Dr Jamie Tehrani said: "We can come firmly down on the side of Wilhelm Grimm.

"Some of these stories go back much further than the earliest literary record and indeed further back than Classical mythology - some versions of these stories appear in Latin and Greek texts - but our findings suggest they are much older than that."

The study, which was published in the Royal Society Open Science journal, employed phylogenetic methods to investigate the relationships between population histories and cultural phenomena, such as languages, marriage practices, political institutions, material culture and music.

It also used a "tree" of Indo-European languages to trace the descent of shared tales to see how far they could be demonstrated to go back in time.

Dr Tehrani explained: "We used a toolkit that we borrowed from evolutionary biology called phylogenetic comparative methods. This enables you to reconstruct the past in the absence of physical evidence.

"We've excavated information about our story-telling history, using information that's been preserved through the mechanism of inheritance, so in that sense they embody their own history.

"By comparing the folk tales that we find in different cultures and knowing something about the historical relationships among those cultures, we can make inferences about the stories that would have been told by their common ancestors,"

mabel1015j

« Reply #16472 on: January 20, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
How interesting!!! The more I study history the more i learn how much of what we have thought was unique at some point in "written history" time, turns out to not be as new as we thought it was. I find that part of the fun of studying history.

I have just stated to read a pulitzer-prize winning bio of Harriet Beecher Stowe, who is one of the subjects of my women's history series at the library in March. The author is Joan Hedrick who is a wonderful writer. I'm just 30 pages in, but the story of Harriet's childhood is delightful.......well, if you aren't one of Lyman Beecher's (H's father) three wives! His first wife, Roxana is smart and curious, the perfectly submissive preacher's wife, never competing with him in anyway. She is also fertile and had 8 children in 16 yrs, as was common in the early 19th century. She also died at age 41 of consumption when Harriet was 5 yrs old.

But the whole Beecher and Foote (Roxana's family) families are interesting. Lyman was a blinders-on Congrgationalist minister who believed and preached to his congregations and to his children that if they weren't "born again" they were damned to hell, a hell that he described in all its horribleness. Surprisingly, five of his children didn't seem convinced and were not converted until close to, or well into adulthood, frustrating L to no end. They were well-schooled in dinner table debate, so they debated him on that subject too.

Harriet had good role models in her Mother, two aunts, one from each side of her parents families. lots of readers, lots of those suspicious novels that were just becoming popular in the states, and an uncle who owned a ship and sailed all over the world bringing back wonderful stories about smart, inventive, educated peoples of many other religions and cultures, giving the B children a sense that maybe Father wasn't right about everything.

It's informative and sometimes funny and well-documented - there are 100 pages of footnotes! I'm looking forward to continuing reading her story.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16473 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27:51 AM »
I have been getting from Netflix.. Once Upon A time.. which is the land of fairytales transported to modern times, wicked witch and all.. Sort of fun.. It is a tv show, but I am just beginning with the second year..

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16474 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
I hope everyone in the path of the big storm is safely hunkered down.

Frybabe

« Reply #16475 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »
Started snowing here in the Harrisburg, PA area around 4:15PM, several hours earlier than predicted. Looks like we are going to get more rather than less snow. Winds have not picked up yet.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16476 on: January 22, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »
We have 4 or 5 inches so far, and are in a lull, but of course that won't last.  No wind yet.

Steph

« Reply #16477 on: January 23, 2016, 09:00:36 AM »
Wow,, it sounds like a tremendous storm with high winds and high tides.. Central Florida is cool for us.. 5o or so and high winds, but nothing else.
I hope all in the path are home and cozy..

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16478 on: January 23, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »
I'm very glad to see some of you able to still have power and get on with this horrendous storm of the century they're calling it: unbelievable!

Another  legend for children to repeat when they  are our age. I really do hope everybody is safe and warm because a lot of people are in danger.

What a good time to read,  though,  and this morning the Wall Street Journal brings news of a new book by Bill Bryson!  I  really like Bill Bryson and his new book is called  The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain.

This time, apparently, he found some things that he can grouse  about in his long love affair with Great Britain. I can't wait to read it and to hear what you think about it.  It just came out a few days ago in the US: January 19.

I dunno  about mourning those old red phone booths.  I think they were pretty and iconic, but the new ones they are putting up in all but 4 places are high tech and  out of this world ...free or for a quarter calls..... free Wi-Fi, sleek looking.....pretty darn cool.

Progress.   

Can't wait to read it .

But I just also read an essay by Calvin Trillin  in the New Yorker talking about a visit they used to have to make to his old aunt Fannie. She looked like Boris Karloff and she was mean as a snake. He was 10 years old and she just criticized everything and everybody, just terribly negative.   And when everybody was leaving and everybody had gone  out of the room he went up and kissed her  on the cheek and said we love you aunt Fannie, because he realized that her hatefulness came from fear, depression at looking like Boris Karloff,  and loneliness. It's really a comic essay talking about doing things like that for other people the rest of his life. He puts  it so much better.     I don't know the man, I've heard of him, but I now want to read more of his thoughts.  He's the one who wrote about his wife Alice which apparently so moving. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16479 on: January 23, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
Eighteen inches and still falling, but so far none of the promised 50 mph winds.

I sure wasn't that perceptive at age 10.  Maybe that's why I can't write like Calvin Trillin.