Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049603 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #16560 on: February 20, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

bellamarie

« Reply #16561 on: February 21, 2016, 01:23:40 AM »
Just saw Harper Lee died in her sleep at the age of 89.  R.I.P.  To a marvelous author. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #16562 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:25 AM »
See the bottom of post 16561 for the NYT obits for both Harper Lee and Umberto Eco. You may have missed it because the header popped into it after I posted.

Steph

« Reply #16563 on: February 21, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
 I get the NYT on my IPAD with a subscription and love it. Keeps me up on the world.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

nlhome

« Reply #16564 on: February 21, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »
Our weekly newspaper just had a full page article about 4 women, in their 50's if not 60, from our little city who walked the Wainwright Trail in northern England. 192 miles (they say more because they got lost a few times). Thirteen days. They prepared for the walk by going on trails in our hilly area of the state. It was interesting to read about. One of the women took pictures, so I'm hoping she'll show them at a Women's Club meeting or the library.

Steph

« Reply #16565 on: February 22, 2016, 08:48:50 AM »
The dog and I clock two miles each and every morning, but that sounds like more than I would want to try.

nlhome

« Reply #16566 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:41 PM »
Yes, Steph, I walk a mile a day to get coffee. Some days I add in a mile or two extra, for a trip to the library or a walk for our dog. But in the summer, we walk in state parks including some where these ladies did their conditioning, but never so long that I have to wonder where the rest rooms are.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16567 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
That is such a super story, nlhome! If anybody does present something on it I hope you can go and bring us more news of it. They have tours in the UK of walking but they are no nonsense, you really do the walk on schedule. Back when I walked a lot I contemplated trying one but I was not sure I could cut the mustard, really. The schedule looked punishing.

I am so enjoying the Bryson book which seems to be an extended  walk as you describe. And to give some idea of what he's talking about with his walks, he described where several old friends get together when in town,  and they just walk a bit and talk and solve the problems of the world. He admits to getting older and more crotchety but his friends agree that's normal.  And he has less tolerance for things than he did but who does not?

I love the book, there are so many things we could discuss here if we talked about it.

But I thought of Rosemary's thought here about couch potatoes which I have become apparently.  On one occasion  he and his three other friends, all pretty much out of shape decide to walk a short way down to a pub and have a few drinks and talk and then come back and in the process of this he just casually mentioned when they are leaving the pub that that "short" distance was 3  MILES from where he started.

So they walked three miles there and three miles back. That's 6 miles for people "out of shape."

THAT'S the British!!  And he hasn't been British long hahaha I love that.  6 miles. I love the idea of walking TO a goal and then coming back. We don't seem to have goals out where I live that you can walk TO, nor paths to walk ON, we have lovely people who will stop and offer you a ride, and fierce dogs you need to be careful about,  and if one wanders off one might not make it back. I guess that's what cell phones are for.

I just love everything about the book.

On the way he drops a lot of wisdom. He can't understand why some people are celebrities. He can get in line there, neither can I.

He gripes about the new British penchant for removing the front yard so the homeowner  can park the car as close to the house as they can. I wondered why the Chelsea Flower Show last year featured "pocket gardens." That's a shame if it's true and apparently it is, I've so loved walking along admiring the flowers in some of those front  yards. Some people can do more with a few square feet than I could in a park, and the limited size of them now appeals to me more than a big one. I've seen some of the most beautiful roses in them, and got the name of one and bought it when I got home: Serene Sheila. Doesn't like our  heat or humidity unfortunately, but what a bloom!

And on and on the revelations run. It's a heck of a book. I like reading it before going to sleep because I always end up smiling and learning something. People nobody ever  heard of. Museums nobody ever heard of and possibly should. Houses nobody ever heard of. He's just been in Avebury, I've never been. And he's   looked at the Great Barrow which I never heard of and another  gigantic ancient made pillar.

He reflects on the decline of the pier into the ocean.  Those piers are something else. While visiting a friend at Cheddar a couple of years ago, we drove to a Pier, could it have been  Weston super mare? With a capital P which was new and seemed to go a mile into the ocean. Just that. People could take a golf cart conveyance to get to the end. Just so incredible, the whole experience. We have piers here. And Piers. This one was different.

The man has a fascinating facility with words and ephemera that is just magic. He reminds me of a Travels With Charley/ Charles Kurault type of combination. Finding value in the smallest thing and reflecting on it.

nlhome

« Reply #16568 on: February 22, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
Ginny, you certainly do make that book sound appealing. If I ever finish the Truman book, I might look for the one you're reading. Of course, I have to start Truman, not just open it up randomly and read a page.

I do like walking with a destination or purpose. People here, especially in winter, walk in the hospital or go to a mall in the city to walk, or work part time at Lands' End so they have access to the indoor track. We live close enough to downtown so we walk down for coffee, to the library, or for dinner now that we have a couple of good restaurants. Having a latte in the morning doesn't seem quite so decadent if it involves walking a mile.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16569 on: February 22, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »
this is fabulous folks - a parade in the Netherlands of floats that represent the art of Van Gogh whose 125 year birthday is being celebrated

http://tinyurl.com/gwr86gc

Here is one of the floats...

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16570 on: February 23, 2016, 03:22:32 AM »
Oh yes Ginny - I justify all my many coffees by walking up and down Edinburgh's many hills and staircases to get to them! Not quite as steep as San Francisco, but if you've ever been here you'll know what I mean. I do quite a few walks with friends in the summer - down the canal, along the Water of Leith, along the coast, etc - and the coffee shop(s) are always essential highlights around which the trips are based!

I am not especially athletic but I wasn't too surprised at Bill Bryson walking 3 miles each way to/from a pub. And part of the reason people now do that (which is, I think, a good thing) is because of our draconian drink-drive laws. Many rural pubs have been put out of business by these, although I back the laws wholeheartedly; some pubs have turned into restaurants, which people are more prepared to pay for a taxi to get to/from, some have been taken over by village trusts and turned into shops, community centres, etc - but many have just had to close. It's not only the law that's caused this - it's also that very few people now actually live in the country (apart from those with second/holiday homes there). Local young people can't afford the property prices in anywhere remotely picturesque, as everything has been bought up by rich people from the cities who rarely have time to visit, or who just buy them as investments and rent them out to holidaymakers in summer.

As for paving over front gardens - that is indeed happening everywhere, and I hate it, but I can totally understand why people do it. Parking in Edinburgh is a complete nightmare - I pay almost £200 a year for a parking permit for my extremely small car (the price is based on CO2 emissions I think) yet most of the time the chances of parking anywhere near where I live are precisely nil. Most of the buildings are tenements with 8 or 9 flats each - not everyone has a car, but many do, and the roads are narrow and congested. The council makes it very clear that a permit 'does not entitle you to a parking space' - indeed, the cathedral where I work, which is pretty central, rents spaces in its own car park out at £2,000 per year (yes £2,000) in an attempt to make ends meet. The council has previously not charged for on-street parking on Sundays, but they are about to bring it in - cue uproar from the churches and local businesses, but looking at it from the council's point of view, they are having their income slashed by central government but are still expected to provide all the same services.  On the plus side, public transport in Edinburgh is very good - but some people seem to have a built-in antipathy towards it.

We had roses in our front garden when I was a child - but they are hard to grow, even in southern England where I was brought up - always getting some disease or other. I do like old-fashioned cottage gardens with things like lupins.

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #16571 on: February 23, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
Ginny, you would have been blissful here. Last night at Rollins College, Bryson was there to give a speech. I just read a newspaper review that says it was crowded and great fun.. His humor escapes me, but I know he is popular indeed.
I find myself less and less able as I age to love steep hills anymore.. Flat land walking suits me.. In the North Carolina mountains, they all grow what are called Knockout roses. lovely and fierce bloomers. They love the climate .

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16572 on: February 23, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »
Knockout and Double Knockout roses do well in our harsh Iowa climate, too...and no pruning required. 

Jane

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16573 on: February 24, 2016, 02:13:08 AM »
BARB: love the Van Gogh float! cant help wondering what he would have thought.

Frybabe

« Reply #16574 on: February 24, 2016, 06:43:53 AM »
I wonder what is going on with Project Gutenberg. I can access the site and download or read what is in the catalog, but, they have not added books to their catalog at least four days. HIghly unusual. BookBub appears to have slowed down with addition, athough I can still find a few newly added books.

Steph

« Reply #16575 on: February 24, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
The Van Gogh celebration sounds wonderful. If I had know they were going to make such a big deal, I would have gone over. The museum devoted to him is really wonderful. MDH and I spent four days in a hotel at the end of the museum streets. So neat to wake, eat a bit and mosey over to the museum of the day.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16576 on: February 24, 2016, 07:51:31 PM »
for those who read last fall the story of Sarajevo...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35604058
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #16577 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:22 AM »
Thanks, Barb. I stopped the video a moment to look more closely at the people waiting to fill their water jugs. That, and crossing the bridges to get to work or get water, stick out very clearly in my mind.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16578 on: February 26, 2016, 03:27:56 AM »
this is a fabulous short essay on the use of the word Journey that has become 'the' word with more metaphors than was ever imagined all taking place since 1980

I hope y'all can see the essay since it is on a subscription site - if not let me know - it is so good I think it is worth a copy and paste job here...

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/candlepwr/journey-to-the-center-of-a-metaphor/

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16579 on: February 27, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
LOVING the wonderful things you're putting in here, Barbara,  THANK you!~

And especially THANKS to you, Rosemary Kaye. What a wonderful gift it is to come in here and see your thoughts on, for instance, Bryson's take on the parking. Do you mean you have to pay that amount yearly to park your own vehicle? At your own home? Does that guarantee you a parking space all your own?

And if those folks who remove their front gardens drive the car up where they were, that is considered their own property (there's no back yard?) and  they can skip that payment?  Well if that's the case,  it's no wonder then. that they are removing their pretty little  gardens.

I couldn't understand it otherwise, but I should. Parking is tight in many US cities, too. I am not sure however that they have to pay for curb parking unless there is a meter, I am simply too far out of the city life now to know.  Anybody here live in downtown Manhattan who can illuminate us? I know I have some in the Latin classes, I may write and ask.  In NYC many people in "the City" don't have cars at all.

As a child in the War years (WWII) we lived in Philadelphia in what was called a "Row House." These are quite popular now in some parts of the country, much gussied up,  as "Town Houses." They are attached. I remember very clearly having a small bit of lawn and garden  in the front and a "stoop"  or front steps upon which neighbors sat and talked to passers by.  The daily washing of the stoop was very important. An unwashed stoop was a sign of sloth. For ALL to see!

I do recall my father having to walk around the block with the lawnmower if he wanted to cut the back grass, the house (which is still there!) was attached on both sides, but had no back door.  The back had a small yard. I have no idea where he parked the car. I can't remember.  But he had a car.

OH I remember. Gas lights and lamp lighters, horses pulling milk trucks, ice boxes which served as refrigerators and to which ice wagons would suspend blocks of ice up to the second floor.  Philadelphia I believe was one of the last towns to let go of the gas lamp. And I remember Don McNeill.(sp).

I was shocked in one of my face to face classes when nobody there had ever heard of Don McNeill's Breakfast Club on the radio. . McNeill would say March Around the Breakfast Table, he'd play music and everybody would get up and walk around the breakfast table: a forerunner of the new don't sit anywhere for more than 20 minutes.

Is anybody old enough here to remember Don McNeill and his Breakfast Club?

And thank you also Rosemary for that lucid account of what's happened to the pub and why.

I think on the 3 miles to and then back from a destination that I need to get back out and moving. There was a time that meant nothing to me. I guess that's why I enjoy reading anybody's tales of walking to interesting locations.

Bryson himself does not appear athletic or thin. Yet he's always walking. I once stayed with a friend in Carlisle and she was a great deal older than I, but after dinner, by gum,  out we went with  this gigantic dog and we walked what seemed to me to be 20 miles and it was all I could do to keep up with her. The British Walk is the idea I brought home and it seems if you think 3 miles one way is normal, that's still in vogue.

Am half way thru the Bryson. I may have to read it again. It's about going back to places you once  loved and how they have changed. And how you shouldn't go back. He says  Stonehenge is better, tho, than it was, and I agree with that, I like the new Visitor's Center,  and am sorry about the now prohibited stones, that you can't get close to any more,   tho I have never been that it wasn't full of Hippies or Flower Children or whatever they are...I need to go in other times of the year.  He tells the normal day trip  itinerary of the tourist from London:  Windsor, Bath, Stonehenge and something else in one day, hahahaa, and 10 minutes of the normal visitor  at Stonehenge spent in  the gift shop. What a hoot. 

Nobody likes change. We all want it the "way it was," sort of a fairy land of imagination and myth. I think your comments here on the parking alone and the pubs themselves are worth a book, no joke. He didn't add the reasons, he just doesn't understand.

Please don't go anywhere, your insights are invaluable. (I didn't know you worked in a cathedral, I have a funny true story about the Gift Shop at the church at Stratford.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16580 on: February 27, 2016, 03:23:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqfeZ0rMfI

Don McNeil's Breakfast Club when it first went on TV - the year showing is 1954 - look at all the ladies in their hats and see how they hold themselves 60 years ago...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16581 on: February 27, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »
Wow, that's the later one. The one I'm talking about was the radio show which started in the 30's, we never saw it on television. What a nice looking man, I've never seen him.

Here's a bit about the radio  show:

"Don McNeill's Breakfast Club is a long-run morning variety show on NBC Blue Network/ABC radio (and briefly on television) originating in Chicago, Illinois. Hosted by Don McNeill, the radio program ran from June 23, 1933 through December 27, 1968. McNeil's 35½-year run as host remains the longest tenure for an M.C. of a network entertainment program, surpassing Johnny Carson (29½ years) on The Tonight Show and Bob Barker (34? years) on The Price Is Right....

Every quarter-hour came the "Call to Breakfast" -- a march around the breakfast table."

I can't believe he was on that long and nobody ever seems to have heard of him,  but that clip you put in  was fabulous.  The minute I saw those brownies  it took me back, I was one, too.  And you're right about how the women dressed then.  That was the 50's? I  don't know why people keep talking about how great the 50's were, maybe it was that  post war boom stuff.  That "Aunt Fanny" on the Don McNeill show was Fran later of Kukla, Fran and Olli, and  I do remember her on  TV in that show.

Thank you for putting that here!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16582 on: February 27, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
Ginny, I'm definitely one who remembers Don McNeill and The Breakfast Club on the radio (I was born in 1936).  And I don't remember its having been on TV.  LOL
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16583 on: February 27, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »
Me, either, Mary, and I am shocked to see how long he actually ran on the air. Isn't he handsome, tho?

I'm actually shocked to see how young he was, I guess to a child everybody sounds old, but I had pictured him as kind of a Walter Cronkite appearance. Boy I was wrong. :)

I think we must be a Breakfast  Club of 2. hahahaha

Steph

« Reply #16584 on: February 28, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »
Oh The Breakfast club, but like the rest of you, I only remember the radio show..But we always listened and did the march of course..
Up till two years ago, I walked the three miles each morning, but after my bout with the surgery and infection, I now walk two miles and sometimes wonder why. But I still walk it.
I did a longer southern England tour and we spent a day in Bath, Brighton, Stratford, Oxford and then around Stone Henge and Winstons grave, etc. Also Leeds Castle was another day.. Lovely tour, very english.. My husband and I were the only Americans, but there was also two canadian couples and an aussie and wife, along with six english couples. We did have a wonderful time, comparing notes. Stratford was hysterical at that point. Everything on creation, they related to Shakespeare..  Very funny indeed, but I got some wonderful prints in a print shop in Stratford, old pen and ink drawings of my much loved corgis.. All done back in the 30's.. wonderful indeed.

bellamarie

« Reply #16585 on: February 29, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »
Barb, that link on Sarajevo was so moving.  I was part of the discussion of the Cellist of Sarajevo and I could just imagine the woman in this link, as Emina in the story. 

Oh dear, The Breakfast Club began in 1954, I was just two years old and we had no television or radio as far as I can remember.  We got our first tv when I was around the age of ten yrs old.  Imagine children trying to deal with life without the technology of today.

Steph I think it's great you walk two miles every morning.  I have an entire workout room in my home and do nothing.  Shame on me, but in all fairness my six grandchildren keep me running constantly keeping up with all their activities so I hope that counts for something.  We are involved in many non profit 5k walks throughout the year, Cystic Fibrosis, Alzheimer's, Autism, Drug Addiction, and Abuse for battered women, a cause my granddaughter's sorority was involved with.  I'm in a weight loss challenge and one of the ladies has started a gift card reward for us to enter pics of ourselves doing a thirty minute work out, at the end of the week she draws a name and that person wins.  I am tempted to enter,  motivation is key to any movement. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Steph

« Reply #16586 on: March 01, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
I go to the gym twice a week and take classes as well as the daily walks. I need the motivation of going to a class. I know if I had the stuff at home,I would find too many reasons why not to use them..
Just sent for the book written by one of the Mothers in the Columbine killings. I think I want to know how she feels.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16587 on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:46 AM »
Oh good three of us in the Breakfast Club. He did it every quarter hour and don't they say now that 20 minutes should be the longest you sit?

He was ahead of his time. I wonder if HE actually got up and walked, however.

Bill Bryson had a great quote in his book, am almost through. (He may live to regret his ill considered comic remark  which I am sure he thought was funny on the old folks at something he attended) , but anyway he said (this is positive) he said that he had gone to the Rivers Pitt or something like that Museum of Natural History at Oxford. Lots about Pitt Rivers, nasty quy, but wonderful museum and he spent three hours there studying the birds of England (he's got me beaten there, I could not do that, I don't think) and how the black birds of England differ. Not sure that's on my To Do List either, but he then said, something like..... (paraphrasing now, too lazy to quote it accurately) " Of course I've forgotten it all. I'm 63. "  But he then said it's the enchantment of the moment that stays with him, and I think that's one of the best phrases I've ever heard.

He's so right. The "enchantment of the moment"  is what keeps a lot of us learning new things.

He's also enraged by the total lack of proper English being used in the media, ads, and TV. He's right there, too.  Except, did I just see him misuse a verb? Probably a typo. Or perhaps a British-ism I don't know anything about.

bellamarie

« Reply #16588 on: March 01, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Steph, good for you!!  Wow that will be a very emotional book to read. 

I remember the day of the Columbine shootings so well.  I had just left my position teaching computers at my Catholic elementary school, and began my in home daycare. A teacher from my school had come to pick up her two little girls and was telling me about her being threatened by a student in her Jr. High class.  We stood there talking about what needs to be done and saw on the television in the background the news about the Columbine shootings.  Needless to say this teacher and I agreed immediate action needed to be taken, a faculty meeting was assembled and the principal alerted the entire staff of this student.  The police was called, and from there the child and parents were interviewed and was referred for counseling, and the school was put on high alert.  Every warning must be taken seriously.

I read the book "Let's Roll!! Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage" written by Lisa Beamer, the wife of Todd Beamer who was a victim of the United Flight 93 crash as part of the September 11, 2001 attacks.   It was beautifully written, and she gave us so much insight of the person Todd was, and how it seems he always knew he was born to do something extraordinary, he just had no idea what it would be.  I cried as I read it, and thought what courage she must have had to share this in her writing.  It is and will remain one of my most favorite books.  A reminder of the courage Todd had on that plane, and the courage his wife had to share these precious, personal, still open wounds of losing him, being pregnant with their soon to be born little daughter.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16589 on: March 01, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
Ginny, Steph, MaryZ -- I'm with you on the radio Breakfast Show.  I remember it -- vaguely -- out of Chicago.

Steph, good for you with your walking two miles a day. Wish I could, but the knees won't tolerate it without the walker, and I'm only good for about a mile there. So I use the exercise bike and the indoor rower.  I was tempted to buy a rower, but like Steph, think it's important to get to the gym too. It has so much to offer.

I think I was a teenager before we got TV, so radio was important.  Does anyone remember listening to "Terry and the Pirates" and "Jack Armstrong, the All-American Boy"?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16590 on: March 01, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »
OH man, 4 of us in the olde tyme Breakfast Club with Don McNeill. hahahaa

Oh yes, I remember those shows, I listen to them all the time.  There is a Sirius radio channel with a dedicated channel to that type of show and a catalogue from somebody called Spirits who reproduce the old shows. They have Johnny Dollar and Suspense and all kinds of things.  Here's Terry and the Pirates: http://www.radiospirits.com/detailsv2.asp?mbprodid=55424

I got their Sherlock Holmes  with Basil Rathbone as I've said, and the quality is wonderful. In the old days you had to get bad copies by hobbyists, not any more. One thing I also like about it is the commentary from those who were either in the productions or related to those who did them: Dennis Greene's wife has given some wonderful insights. It's fascinating as are the commercials.

I heard one of  Sargent Preston of the Yukon the other day, "On, KING!" Anybody remember that? It sounds just like it did.

What with vinyl records coming back and now the old radio shows, who knows what will come next?  Of course there are a lot of things that don't need to come back, but these are harmless and fun. 

Anybody but me remember red vinyl records? I used to love those things.

And Netflix has Bridge of Spies!! I can't wait to see it.

YAY Mark Rylance!

Tomereader1

« Reply #16591 on: March 01, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
I'll say -- yea Mark Rylance!  I was so rooting for him to win, and I hadn't even seen the movie, just the trailers.  I have loved him since "Wolf Hall" (as I probably said here before--those soulful eyes).  I think he was truly surprised by the Oscar win. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #16592 on: March 01, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
I am so happy House of Cards begins on March fourth. I was afraid they would not
have a new season but theyare.  YEAH YEAH

Steph

« Reply #16593 on: March 02, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »
MaryZ.. I have been told by any number of trainers that the rowing machine is a glorious way to exercise. uses both leg and upper trunk and does not let gravity hurt your feet.. I love it and dont do it enough.  Wearing the hearing aides makes it difficult for me. I loved to listen to audio books, but then I have to take out the hearing aids, plug in the ear plugs, etc. I am going to experiment with one of those new ear things that are large and padded, My new hearing aids do not give you whining, so you can listen with them, I am told. Will let you know how that works.
The Breakfast club was important.Nothing like a child who marches around the table.. My Mother never marched, but insisted that I do it for her.
Oh Ginny, it is the enchantment of the moment. I have so many of those all wrapped up in a long happy marriage. They keep me going on the bad blue meanie days.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16594 on: March 02, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
Steph, glad to know you're liking the rowing machine.  It certainly does give a whole-body/no-impact workout.  I hope you can find some listening device that works for you. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #16595 on: March 03, 2016, 08:27:05 AM »
Today is a lovely day in central Florida.. 60 degrees at 6:30am and due to go up to 80 or so.. Dry and clear.. Daisy and I bounced along this morning. It is nice in a 55+ community. When we walk early, all of the golfers in their carts wave as they go by on the street and lots do a good morning sort of thing.. You feel as if you are protected by a lovely type of community.

bellamarie

« Reply #16596 on: March 03, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
Steph that sounds glorious!  We here in Ohio are getting about 2 inches of snow.  I love it!!!!  It will probably be our last one for the season.  They are predicting 60s and 70s on Mon & Tues. 

I just checked out the book The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins.  My neighbor is reading it and says she is enjoying it.  Has anyone else read it?

Tomereader1

« Reply #16597 on: March 03, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »
I'm afraid I read it, bellamarie.  Somewhere I have written a review of it (not in these boards) but I will track it down, and post it.  You may want to wait a bit before starting the book.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #16598 on: March 03, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
BOOK REVIEW – 9-3-15

At or near the top of the NYT Best Seller List for several weeks, “The Girl On The Train” by Paula Hawkins seemed to be a shoo-in for my next favorite thriller.  One of the cover blurbs did give me pause when it made a vague comparison to “Gone Girl”.  But what could go wrong when a young woman travelling on a commuter train every day spots a couple on their deck and in their back garden.  She gives them names and fantasizes about their lives,   while her life couldn’t be less perfect.  Nor the lives of those, once or soon to be, close to her.

The narration switches between our commuter Rachel; the female half of the “perfect” couple, Megan, and the woman who has effectively usurped Rachel’s life and happiness, Anna.  No wonder then that Rachel is suffering from depression and alcoholism with accompanying blackouts.

While I waded through the first 51 pages, knowing something had to “happen”, the author is intent on weaving back-stories into the narration, exposing the characters, warts and all, until the reader’s “who really cares about these people” sets in and it becomes do or die…finish the book and find out who done it, or slam the covers closed and let them stew in their own stagnated half-lives.  I finished the book.

jm

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16599 on: March 03, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
That's too bad. Having commuted on a train, looking out the window and wondering about the people and scenes I'm passing, I love the premise. too bad the follow-through is so disappointing.