Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049496 times)

Tomereader1

Re: The Library
« Reply #16680 on: March 17, 2016, 12:39:44 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!
Everyone should know by now that I, too, hated Gone Girl.  But I was somehow suckered into reading Girl on the Train, which I hated every bit as much, if not more.  But, hey "to each his own". 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

bellamarie

« Reply #16681 on: March 17, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Steph, I almost let the negative reviews keep me from reading The Girl OnThe Train.  I'm glad I read it!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

nlhome

« Reply #16682 on: March 17, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
Last week I finished A Man Called Ove. I really did enjoy reading it. It's a thoughtful book, but I got quite a few chuckles out of it as well.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16683 on: March 17, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
Hail Glorious St. Patrick

https://youtu.be/AGSYG4vLyKE
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #16684 on: March 17, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
I started a new book today,  The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.  Has anyone read this book?  Jonathan, I am going to be called when my library transports the book you are reading  A Book Of Secrets to my nearest library.  That paragraph you shared with us drew me in!  Thank you.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Steph

« Reply #16685 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:27 AM »
I loved The Nightengale. Kristan Hannah did a good job of portraying small towns in France during the nazi occupations.. Hope you like it as much as my entire book club did..We back to backed it and All the Light You cannot See. Two different ways of experienced the occupation.
Gave me such a start yesterday. I picked up the paper and checked the deaths for my county ( part of my womans club duties is to make sure no members died that we did not know of).. and there was my grief counselor from six years ago. Just her name,birth and death.no obit..I went on the cremation society line and lit a candle for a wonderful compassionate woman who gave me back the ability to live my life.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16686 on: March 18, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
Oh, STEPH. I'm so sorry. But so glad she was in your life at that terrible time.

I love the St. Patrick and other Irish sounds.

bellamarie

« Reply #16687 on: March 18, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »
Good to know you liked the Nightingale Steph.  So sorry to hear of the loss of your grief counselor.  When my brother in law passed my sister would not have survived without her grief group. 

Steph

« Reply #16688 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:32 AM »
Oh BellaMarie, I would not have survived without Vivian and then the group. I had horrible nightmares and flashbacks and the absolute inability to believe it really happened and she helped me so very much.

bellamarie

« Reply #16689 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:21 PM »
Steph that is so great to know there are those out there who can help in our desperate times of need.

Do we have any upcoming new book discussions coming up?  I am not interested in continuing with the Metamorphosis, but was wondering if there is anything new for April?

mabel1015j

« Reply #16690 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »
I'm starting Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Has anyone read it? Jamie Ford has a very readable writing style. This may be a good one.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #16691 on: March 21, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »
A few years back, a neighboring suburb had a "One Book" promotion, with everyone in the city reading one book.  It was promoted through the public library, and the response was so great, it had to be moved to the High School Auditorium rather than the library's larger meeting room.  The tickets were free, the Book was "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", the author, Jamie Ford was the speaker.  He did a Q & A after his reading.  It was a wonderful experience!  Jean, you will love the book, and I recommend it to anyone who may have missed out on this one!
*When I say "high school auditorium" it was one of the biggest high schools in that area, and the auditorium was the size of a theatre.  Full and SRO.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #16692 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
I read the book several years ago and loved it. You are in for a treat..

bellamarie

« Reply #16693 on: March 22, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
Found this article and thought it was interesting. 
http://blog.theliteracysite.com/fiction-readers/

I like reading fiction, but in the past few years I have found myself wanting to read more nonfiction.  Getting lost in imaginary characters and places is nice every now and then, but learning of real people's lives, events, places etc., just fill me with so much more knowledge I never was interested in when I was younger.  Reading "The Nightingale" even though it is fiction, it is dealing with the real life situations during the occupation of the Nazis in France.  I am to the part in the book where they are making lists of names of those who were teaching in schools that are Jewish, communists, Freemasons and homosexual.  They compiled their lists and then went in and dismissed them from any type of work, not just teaching positions. We all know the rest.....

I look at how the Christians are being treated especially in Yemen, Fr. Tom being held, tortured and reportedly going to be crucified on Good Friday, by ISIS and it seems not much ever really changes in the world.  Be it one religious sect, nationality, or political group, there is so much hatred and harm in the world.  I pray for the victims of Brussels and their families.  This being the Holy week, I was expecting something to happen. I am just so very sad.   :'(

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16694 on: March 22, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
I can't read that kind of thing anymore. I'm worse than a kid when it comes to having nightmares if I see or watch horror or gruesome things.  I saw Dachau in person 50 years ago....and the memory of the horrors is as clear as if it were yesterday.  I much prefer fiction where I can have people solving their problems and finding solutions to the situations we all face. There's more than enough "nonfiction" on TV News these days...in fact, too much for me.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16695 on: March 22, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »
Problem with all of it being on the news is we can do NOTHING about it - all it does is get us upset so that we take away from the life God gave us - we give our energy to the negative side of life rather than filling the air with our song - after seeing the monks in an Abbey in the mountains of France whose sole task is to read aloud ancient manuscripts to keep them alive I realize what we say and think adds to the energy field and to counter any of the negative it takes, I think I read 10 positives so that is a lot of good vibes I feel responsible to send out - watching the junk they call news on TV or these documentaries about issues I know about that I do not need another account to prove to me horrible things happened - are not adding good vibes - so fun stuff first, then those who respond with bravery, nobility and daring.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #16696 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
The Nightingale is truly a book that shows you how people survive. In many many different ways.  As to yesterday,, it is horrible. The countries in Europe in their desire for a one world policy have tried to help people from countries that are poor. This seems to be their reward.. It is so sad.

bellamarie

« Reply #16697 on: March 23, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Yes, Steph, The Nightingale is about survival.  I love the book, I can't seem to put it down.  The bravery of Isabelle/Nightingale, is astounding.  I would like to think we have women who are brave enough to risk their lives for others today.  Vianne's character is strong as well, only in a complete different sense.  I love how the book shows how women dealt with their situations during the war. 

Barb, I agree with you about focusing on positivity.  On my Facebook each day I make sure to post something positive.  I refuse to have any political posts on my wall, and I will not respond to any whether it be from family or friends.  People no longer are able to have an informed, intelligent dialogue where politics are concerned.  I have never seen so much hatred and divisiveness as I have seen in the past decade.  I am certain it's become worse due to social media and the internet.  Thank goodness for a delete option!  I watch very little news anymore, they repeat the same thing over and over again.   

So on a positive note....... ya'll have a great day!!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16698 on: March 23, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
yep it appears we are all learning how to be clowns - when you consider the clown makes up his or her face to make a statement - usually a fun happy statement - so that any personal sadness is under the clowns painted face - that is how it feels watching the news and going on with our lives knowing we are not going to do anything for anyone by our reaction to the news - our emotions are being so pulled that our every day is like attending a football game with those friends and family holding a different opinion being thought of as if our arch rival - well enough!

Easter is this Sunday - been so busy and with my fall I forgot it was so soon - I wonder if there is something about Spring bringing on a natural desire for chocolate - thus the Chocolate candy so prevalent this time of year. For the last few nights I've had a real taste for Chocolate and had some tiny Nestles morsels that are unsweetened - So I put some in a bowl with some sugar and a bit of honey and a dab of butter and some coffee to just cover and heated it mixture in the microwave - had to squash down the morsels after they were softened - added a bit more coffee and heated again than added a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to my evening coffee - wow - in fact too rich to drink more than a third of a cup but very satisfying.

I do not have a particularly sweet tooth - my undoing has always been breads and muffins - so this hankering for chocolate is way off my usual which made me wonder if there is something about Spring that brings out a desire for chocolate.

Most recipes for Chocolate put a bit of vanilla in the mix - cleaning out I found I still had two full quart size bottles of Mexican Vanilla - what in the world do I do with all of that - hardly anyone bakes any more - I used to use it as a scent in vacant houses - I wonder if there is a way to add it to water or maybe oil and use those sticks that infuse scent in a room - just do not have the gene that will allow me to throw it away - need to figure someway of using it.

Found this - have not seen any shop in Austin featuring chocolate hens, bunnies or eggs - it would have to have a north facing window - have not been inside a mall in years and we still have two - there used to be a Godiva kiosk in the center of an open space - not much room to do a significant display though. Looks like they still feature Easter Chocolate displays in Paris - here is the photo...

bellamarie

« Reply #16699 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »
Not sure if Spring brings on the urge for chocolate, but I know I went Easter basket shopping today and that seems to be the candy of choice!   For me.....  I can't wait to have carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for Easter dessert!   

Steph

« Reply #16700 on: March 24, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
The Chocolate shops in Europe are wonderful.. In Swizerland, they are small and have elaborate window displays.. You buy by the piece, but oh me the flavor is so intense.
I love chocolate anything and have to be careful.. Beautiful day this morning, rain later on according to the weatherpeople..

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16701 on: March 24, 2016, 09:47:23 AM »
Love this from Franconia Germany

A shop in Basel Switzerland

OH and look from the Easter Bunny Museum in Munich (now closed)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #16702 on: March 24, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »
Barb, I love your Easter pictures.

For those who liked Helen Simonson's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, her new book, The Summer Before the War is just out. The Washington Post has a good article about it.  Not sure my link below will get there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/a-novel-to-cure-your-downton-abbey-withdrawal/

Steph

« Reply #16703 on: March 25, 2016, 08:32:36 AM »
Yes,I have that on my want list.. I liked Major Pettigrew a lot.

bellamarie

« Reply #16704 on: March 25, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
I really liked Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  I just checked out A Book of Secrets by Michael Holroyd, Jonathan mentioned he is reading. 

Barb, thank you for the Easter pics.   

Jonathan

« Reply #16705 on: March 25, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
I hope you enjoy it as much as I am, Bellamarie. I don't quite know what to make of it, but it is absorbing. Ah, Italy. What a splendid place to find another life for oneself.  Just finished chapter three, 'All about Eve' (Fairfax), who lived to be 106, sculpted by Rodin in her twenties, and kept the most amazing autograph book. What strange lives these people lived.

bellamarie

« Reply #16706 on: March 25, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
I just finished The Nightingale, and loved it!  It's a book that will stay with me for a very long time.  Not to give away anything, I have to say for some reason I thought the narrator of the book was not who it turned out to be.  Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Jonathan,  I am of Italian descent, and long to one day visit Italy, so just knowing the book takes place there I am sure I will not be disappointed.  Living to be 106, now that is a long life. 

Steph

« Reply #16707 on: March 26, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
No.. not Italy for me.. I love the south of England, the teeny towns and pretty landscapes.. In Italy, we ran into a whole lot of people who dont believe in lines or manners and shove and push.. Never again.

salan

« Reply #16708 on: March 26, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
Hello Seniors,

I have been on a most unwelcome journey.  On Dec. 11 I went to the doctor with what I thought was a sinus infection.  I had not been feeling well for some time.  The doctor immediately called ems and I was transported to the emergency room.  My town is very small & the er could not handle my problems.   To make a long story short; I was transported by ems to a hospital 90 miles away.  I was there for about a week; then transported to the heart hospital in Dallas (close to my daughter).  I had 2 stents put in and then was sent to rehab and spent 3 weeks there.  I am now living in a senior living apartment about 10 minutes from my daughter.  It is an independent living facility and is very nice and has some nice accomodations; but it is not home.  I am trying to adapt, but it is hard.  I am on oxygen 24/7, but hope that will change eventually.  I have copd, sleep apnea, coronary artery disease, and diabetes.  I am working on getting my strength back and will soon start cardiac rehab.  Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  I could also use some suggestions for light funny books; as my powers of concentration have been shortened.
Thank you.
Sally

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16709 on: March 26, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
oh oh oh Sally - where are you? What town is your apartment located?

Here is a photo over by Bastrop - we are just about finished with the Bluebonnets that you can barely see in the background and are full force into Indian Paint time... For you Sally...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16710 on: March 26, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »
Oh, Sally, that's a lot to hit you at once--shifting quarters while still in the early stages of rehab.  Rehab is crucial; try to do whatever they tell you so you can regain your strength.  My prayers are with you.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16711 on: March 26, 2016, 09:44:44 PM »
salan, sorry you've had such severe health problems.  Is your move going to be permanent, or just for rehab?  I've just moved into a senior apartment facility, as an independent, and I really like it.  Of course, it was my decision to make the move, although it was done quickly.  If it's permanent, I hope the adjustment will come without too much difficulty for you.  Hugs from here - in any case.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #16712 on: March 27, 2016, 06:11:23 AM »
Is it just me, or has Seniors and Friends been offline since yesterday?

Frybabe

« Reply #16713 on: March 27, 2016, 07:30:10 AM »
Sally, I wish you a speedy recovery and that you are becoming more comfortable in your new home.

Steph

« Reply #16714 on: March 27, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
Oh Sally, I did wonder that you were not posting.. I am so sorry, Do what the rehab tells you to. We are all here and you could talk to us any time you want to. Complain all you want, I know we will all listen.
As to light.. Have you ever read Janet
Evanovich. She is light, funny and off the wall. One of the few writers that make me laugh out loud. If you are having problems reading, her audios are wonderful as well. Thhis is the Stephanie Plum series.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16715 on: March 27, 2016, 09:47:35 AM »
So sorry to read this Sally. What a lot to have to cope with, though I imagine it's good to be near your daughter.  My prayers are certainly with you, and I will light a candle for you in the cathedral here in Edinburgh when I go back to work on Tuesday.

Light books - do you like the Alexander McCall Smith No 1 Detective Agency series? There are lots of them, all very gentle and with fascinating bits about life in Botswana. Also:

Dodie Smith - I Capture The Castle.;
Nancy Mitford -The Pursuit of Love, Love In A Cold Climate (both are funny, light and semi-autobiographical, about growing up in an eccentric aristocratic family in the 1920s);
John Mortimer - Rumpole series, also Summer's Lease - all easy to read and enjoyable;
James Runcie Sidney Chambers books (now Granchester TV series);
Catriona McPherson - Dandy Gilver mysteries - upper class amateur detective in 1920s London;
Edmund Crispin Gervase Fen mysteries (gentleman detective, ?1940s);
Winifred Watson - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day;
Helen Simonson - Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (two totally unrelated books, both good easy reading).

I hope that helps a bit.

Very best wishes,

Rosemary

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16716 on: March 27, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
Frybabe...their server is down.  I'll email you the little I know.

Sally...hope things smooth out for you soon!

Jane

mabel1015j

« Reply #16717 on: March 27, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
Oh, Sally, that sounds so frustrating. I hope your recovery is steadily uphill. I had three cardio stents ten years ago and it was a good wakeup call to take better care of myself, and I've been doing well.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/e/janet-evanovich/

I second Steph's suggestion of Evanovich. I like her Stephanie Powers series, not her romances. That series is sort of mystery, altho it is mostly just funny. Set in Trenton, NJ. She makes me laugh out loud also.

I also love The Ladies of Covington series by Joan Medlicott. Three 70s aged women get thrown together, become great friends and end up living together in North Carolina. Very nice stories, with sensible behaviors, but good adventures.

http://www.joanmedlicott.com

The Miss Julie series by Ann B. Ross is also nice reading and has some humor. She's also in NC, what is it about NC that so many authors use it as their setting?

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/r/ann-b-ross/

Jean

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16718 on: March 27, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »
Oh yes - I love the Joan Medlicott books - in fact you've reminded me that I have one in my overflowing TBR stack.

Thanks Jean :-)

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16719 on: March 27, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
SALLY: oh my goodness --what a shock.

{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}.

Great reading suggestions. warning: the first Evonovitch is quite gory. You might want to start with the second: "Two for the money."