Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049490 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #16720 on: March 27, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!
  Oh Sally I am so sorry to hear your health problems and having to be away from your home.  Sounds like you are lucky in they found these health issues in time and now recovery and rehab is in your future.  Thank goodness you are close to your daughter.  I will keep you in my prayers.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16721 on: March 28, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
{{{{ Sally!}}}} You have really been through it!

I hope now you'll be on the uptick and it's lovely to have this rehab in a nice place with congenial people and your daughter so close by, that sounds delightful!  So many fun and good recommendations here for books, too.

We'll be thinking of you and on the lookout for your posts, keep us informed of your progress?

Steph

« Reply #16722 on: March 28, 2016, 08:52:47 AM »
Oh Dodie Smith. I do so love I Capture the Castle. Have reread it many times since I love the mental pictures it provokes. I think she mostly wrote for children??
Sally.. Hmm, we were just discussing  some books written about a group of women in a retirement community. Maybe you should try writing down stories about what is happening and see what happens.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16723 on: March 28, 2016, 08:58:51 AM »
No.. not Italy for me.. I love the south of England, the teeny towns and pretty landscapes.. In Italy, we ran into a whole lot of people who dont believe in lines or manners and shove and push.. Never again.

Golly,  I don't even recognize "Italy" from your description.  I have been to Italy every year for the last 27, and absolutely love the Italians. Gosh, just reading that. I'll give one example.

I went to Bacoli, I had never heard of it but I had hired a driver for the day to go to  Cumae and the Campi Flegrei which I couldn't do myself. He knew of a lot of other places on the way he thought I'd like. He was right.

Bacoli is quite small.  I couldn't find the Piscina Mirabile, one of two gigantic cisterns the Romans built way underground for the fleet at Misenum...I  had walked all OVER the little town, where the houses were so close the laundry lines spanning the apartment buildngs touched,  and people called to each other across the way,  it was like stepping back into the '40's. Well I couldn't find either massive cistern,  and returned disappointed to the car. The driver, once ascertaining the problem,  grabbed a man on the street, turned out he was an employee of Alitalia, and back we went, he as tour guide, up and up, he found the woman kneading bread under her porch and got the key, (she had the key to the thing because her father had had it before her),  and he got her to unlock it and down we went. He talked about how as a child he used to play there and during the war it was used as a hide out from the bombing, and his mother. We had a lovely discussion of his mother (I seem to remind people of their mothers) and it was absolutely lovely. And took a lot of his time.

I've had that all over Italy, no matter where I was, story after story of courtesy and kindness and going out of their way to help. I am sorry you have not had that type of experience.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16724 on: March 28, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
Steph, Dodie Smith wrote 101 Dalmatians and The Starlight Barking (& maybe one or two others) for children, but most of her other novels (and plays) were for adults. I don't think any of them are that memorable, though I have seen them on sale as re-issues quite recently.

Dear Dodie: The Life of Dodie Smith, by Valerie Grove, is an excellent biography if you can find it (I borrowed it from our library) - easy to read and very interesting. Dodie was, I think, probably a rather irritating woman, but there is no doubt that her success came from sheer hard graft and determination. She started off as a shop girl.

I Capture The Castle is one of my very favourite books - there was also a film made a few years ago which is not at all bad - though the book is IMO better.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #16725 on: March 28, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
Does anyone here know when Seniors and Friends will be back on-line?  Seems it has been off for two or three days now.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16726 on: March 28, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Tomereader....I've heard second-hand the following from Michael, who does the tech support there:

"I apologize for the lengthy downtime. A drive failed on the machine my server is hosted on and the downtime has been due to the host rebuilding the data array (things are configured so that data won't be lost if one drive fails). I'm not sure why things are still down but am looking into it."
===============================================================
That's all I know. 

jane

Tomereader1

« Reply #16727 on: March 28, 2016, 05:20:03 PM »
Thank you, Jane!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #16728 on: March 28, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »
Sally, I'm so sorry to hear about your unexpected health adventures. It must be difficult to have been moved without getting mentally prepared for it and for just leaving your house. It's lucky that you have a daughter who is close by now.

I hope you will feel better soon. I've heard it takes quite a while to recover your strength from heart surgery but I know you'll do it, little by little.

mabel1015j

« Reply #16729 on: March 28, 2016, 10:49:58 PM »
You're all right about Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  I'm about 1/2 way through and enjoying it. The writing is so simplistic and easy to read, but at the same time beautiful. I should have known just by the title.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #16730 on: March 29, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Oh Ginny, I loved Pompeii and a few of the smaller towns, but the cities in Italy defeated me.. and since I was on a bus tour, when we would stop at the rest areas, just going to the bathroom was a fight to the finish.. and the lines at the cash register were free for alls.. I was so very disappointed  at the Vatican, so you get shuffled into a line and go into the Sistine in groups,,and are warned over and over about pickpockets.. Then when we found what we thought was a nice pub ( no idea what they are called inItalian) only to discover that they were screaming and fighting when the soccer game came on.. so yes , the small areas were wonderful.. not our guide however who spent a good deal of time telling us what a good man Mussolini was.. My husband actually wrote to the tour company about that one.
Hmm, will look for the Dodie Smith biography

Frybabe

« Reply #16731 on: March 29, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »
Looks like Senior and Friends is back up. Everyone appears to have to reregister as it is not accepting any of the old logins. I think I will use something other than Frybabe. Thinking.....

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16732 on: March 29, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
Looks like they are starting over from scratch?

Stephanie, when I first read your post I thought to myself it's the tourists who are pushing her and shoving and being rude, and it looks as tho that is the case? Pit stops, gift shops?

I love Rome. I go there when I don't go anywhere else. I may not be able to go much longer. But I am from a big city and I think that makes a difference, maybe. It's like NYC. My husband hates NYC, just hates it, would rather go sit in a swamp with mosquitoes than go there.  I love it and now my grandson loves it, too,  so I'm happy. It's exiting, it's edgy, the energy!!  And the people, perhaps it was the cuteness of my grandson, but they were extraordinarily kind this last trip. Just went out of their way to be helpful. Perhaps I look as if I'm on my last legs, and I may well be. :)  Paris, London, Rome, Munich, Berlin...can't get too big for me.

It's just what you're used to, I think, tho Rome has gotten rougher lately. Next time in the Sistine Chapel don't go in a group. :)  Now GROUPS,  if you want to talk about something to hate, I'm 100 percent there.  Were all different.

Since my grandson is so into soccer, I have, believe it or not, become a fan also of European Football. WE can name the major stars of Barcelona and WE follow them avidly.  They are coming to the US for yet another Cup, they have so many CUPS and championships but you can see one of them in this precious commercial with Kobe Bryant, Lionel Messi, an excellent example for any child: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQLG37rM5hw   And here (I told you I was a fan) is a film on Messi and why he's so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9u1Uj5CPmg&ebc=ANyPxKoNVcnmOonQzAypY4TnrTDnshQKHxvEIbsrX-YXZo0kCf5zL3iexHgamfp6-xZoY6mU8SEL44SmDFdE4OcJ5mBlBuN0Ng

AND he recognizes his grandmother every time he scores, what's not to like? hahahaa So I would probably be cheering too in the cafes. I was in Rome when they won the world cup and it was like the Fourth of July for several days, just so fun.

The series on Retirement Centers, was the Corinne Holt Sawyer series. It's old but she based it on her own mother's experience in going to one and I loved the way the residents who were indomitable were described. They had dignity, and I loved that. It's been a long time since I read one so I'm going to try them again, the first one was the J, Alfred Prufrock Murders.

The new Simonson book sounds wonderful, it takes place in Rye, England, before WWI, shades of E.F Benson. Little Rye is a magic place, too, so many happy memories there as well. And the protagonist is a Latin teacher, that should be very interesting.

bellamarie

« Reply #16733 on: March 29, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
Oh my heavens!  All you travelers are sparking the adventurer in me.  I have only traveled to Canada outside the U.S.  I long to see Italy, and of course walk inside the Vatican.  My grandparents were immigrants from Italy so of course I would love to visit there.  My hubby and I tease and tempt each other, in five years we celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and say Italy should be our goal to see then.

Besides reading I have taken up a new hobby for relaxation and meditation.  It is adult coloring books! 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Frybabe

« Reply #16734 on: March 29, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
I loved coloring books when I was a tyke. These adult coloring books are so tempting.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16735 on: March 29, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
Yes, I notice them all over now - even in the grocery store - reminds me of years ago with the pet rock - phases come and go but they must bring joy to folks or they would not become so popular. What I loved as a kids was paper dolls - even making mostly dresses from paper envelopes and coloring them - the process of learning I needed tabs and then where they had to be placed - and also, we used to get a box of muffins from a bread delivery man once a week that had a large cellophane window on the cover and I remember getting one of my mother's magazines, cleaning up the box and making it into a store window that I placed all these cutouts from the magazine - great fun - not really into coloring picture books though
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #16736 on: March 29, 2016, 04:15:47 PM »
Ginny,  Although I was on tours,  I enjoyed London, Paris and Athens and found it very easy to get around without a guide.
 Then I went to Italy.   I disliked Rome immensely - and didn't think much of Florence.  It wasn't the tourists - it was the extremely rude, pushy, young girls and boys "getting in your face" with scarves and other trinkets they were trying to sell.  They were EVERYWHERE and extremely annoying.  Occasionally, a couple of security patrol would stroll by - and the sellers would all disappear into alleys until the patrol passed by.
It was hard to enjoy the Trevi fountain because young boys were walking around blowing bubbles at everyone.    Near Vatican Square, our tour guide finally scolded one group of girls with scarves and was roundly cursed as they slowly wandered off.

In Florence, we were warned about gypsies who carry drugged babies and thrust them at tourists so purses, cameras, etc. can be snatched.  Several of us saw some of these women in the square where the gold doors are.  It was really hard to enjoy looking around.

Even so,  I enjoyed the Vatican museums immensely.  One reason was having "Whispers",  which were individual earpieces and receivers through which we could hear our tour guide speaking.  So nice to be able to do that without having to crowd around her.
Had to laugh at myself in the Sistine Chapel;  I could not find the painting of the outstretched fingers between God and Man - until I realized I was standing directly under it!

Barb,  I loved paper dolls, too.   A friend's older daughter taught me how to cut people, furniture, etc. from the Sears catalog and create dioramas in shoe boxes.
When my now 23-year-old granddaughter was very young,  I found some books of Barbie paper dolls and we enjoyed playing with them.

Steph

« Reply #16737 on: March 30, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »
Ginny, no, it was not tourists at the rest areas, It was older women all in black, they would go in, pay once and then all of their whole party would surge in to use it for one coin..Then the lady who collected would get mad and there were screams of probably insults and some gestures that were unmistakeable. I love cities.. Love Venice.. medium loved Florence. Adored David.. Rome.. hmm, not so much. I am a London,
Edinburgh,Paris Cannes,Amsterdam.. Munich, Vienna person. Now. Vienna, I could go back over and over.. Oops. forgot Zurich and every other town in Switzerland.. So it was just Italy in some parts, that got me..
I have no Italian relatives, so did not visit any.. Want to go to Greece, but not until the world calms down if ever..

bellamarie

« Reply #16738 on: March 30, 2016, 06:52:48 PM »
Barb, I loved paper dolls growing up.  My sister and I would cut out people from catalogs and the furniture etc. and sit up an entire house of rooms.  Gosh we would drape a blanket over our clothesline in our backyard in the summer and spend hours inside our makeshift tent and play with the paper dolls.  When I visited Washington D.C. for the first time years ago I purchased a book of the Kennedy family of paper dolls. I still have it in perfect condition.  Not sure what to do with it since my grandkids never got into playing paper dolls. 

The spiritual coloring book I bought is wonderful for me to take time to meditate, and just enjoy some down time away from the computer, ipad, iphone, television and telephone. My little five yr. old granddaughter saw my coloring book and pencils and immediately demanded she have some of her own.  I love how she has turned to reading books and now coloring from spending time with me.  I of course gave her a set of colored pencils and a page from my book.

Being of Italian descent I will attest to your average Italians being impatient and a bit rude, no matter where you are, I think it's in our nature.  But then after taking my grandkids to see Zootopia today, I should hold off on asserting a species DNA determines their actions.   

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16739 on: March 30, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »
Well I guess, Callie and Steph, I've been very lucky, because I haven't seen anything like  that in Rome.  Ever. This will be my 28th year to  Rome, so you'd think in that time I'd have encountered such things, but I truly  haven't.  I HAVE heard others talk about such things. Now I DID nearly get killed in the street by a car a couple of years back. hahaha The only time somebody has been in my face was last Thursday in South  Carolina.

I usually stay in Rome at least a  week, I go by myself, and I go all over the city.  I guess I'm just supremely lucky and now I know it; so thanks for reminding me what's important.  :)

Rome is not for everybody, obviously. I absolutely love it.

Steph

« Reply #16740 on: March 31, 2016, 08:31:49 AM »
My grand daughter and I exchanged coloring books at Christmas. We both laughed and laughed. But I do like to sit and ponder colors and how I can make them look different. It is peaceful and charming. Mine has no pictures, but all figures.. swirls and pinwheel types..
Europe is so many things to so many people.
I spent three days in Zermatt many years ago and fell totally in love. No cars, everyone walking or using the little electric things.. The first time I can ever remember that when we went out to dinner strolling through the streets. It was lit and so very quiet.. You get so convinced that Magic is happening.. A wonderful memory of a place that stuck with me.. and I am not really a mountain person.

CallieOK

« Reply #16741 on: March 31, 2016, 10:29:46 AM »
I loved four of my European trips.  Favorite places were Lucerne, Switzerland, the Inverness area of Scotland, the Loire/Dordogne River areas of France and every place we went in Greece. 
That trip was with a professor from The University of Oklahoma who had taught at the American University in Athens for seven years.  Although we saw all the things you're "supposed to see",  we had  many wonderful experiences "off the beaten path".   Upon arrival, we went to a small harbor to wait for a commercial ferry to the island of Kea (no cruise ships go there).  No port as such - we were just sitting on benches with local residents waiting for the ferry.    "Professor Andy", who spoke - as he called it - "marketplace Greek" went into a little seaside tavern and said   "I have this many people and this much money; what can you feed us?"   Oh, my!  Tables and chairs were set up outside and the food began to come.   Freshly cooked - plentiful - and sooooo good!  While we ate, we watched fishermen working with their nets as they came in for the night.  It was magical.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16742 on: March 31, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
CALLIE: that sounds wonderful!

Steph

« Reply #16743 on: April 01, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
Oh Callie, how wonderful. I do want to go to Greece, but the current atmosphere is not something I want to get involved in.. For the first time in so many years,, I do not have anything in Europe in my future..

CallieOK

« Reply #16744 on: April 01, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
Joan and Steph,  we had several similar experiences along the way and I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with "regular" people. 
This was actually a Study Tour and I was one of 6 "elders" who were able to fill in the spots not taken by university students.  Andy is a professor of Film and Video Studies and we could join the students for their evening classes if we chose.   We all enjoyed the guest speakers, whose lectures were interspersed with movies that were either filmed in Greece or were about Greece.  "Trojan Women", "Zorba" and "Never On Sunday" were three of them; others were more about modern Greek history - but that just added to the experience.   

Steph, my son/dil celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary last October with a river cruise around Venice.    I think being with an organized group would make a difference - but I wouldn't feel at all secure wandering around during free time - which I love to do.

One thing I love about my travel experiences (here and abroad) is being able to visualize areas that are mentioned in books I'm reading.
I'm just reading "fluff stuff"  right now but have some on hold in which I might be able to do so.

Happy Reading, Everyone!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16745 on: April 01, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
Has anybody here ever dealt with a survey company called "GFK Custom Research, Knowledge Panel"?  I love doing surveys, and have done Nielsen ratings books before.  I just got a mailing from this company, and it has a definite web presence (site, etc.).  Just a little leery about signing up - although they're not asking for any personal (i.e., numbers, etc.) information.  Just checking.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16746 on: April 01, 2016, 03:15:46 PM »
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16747 on: April 01, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
Thanks, Barb - I think I'll probably fill out the form and send it in.  I think my opinions always tend to skew results, and that pleases me.  LOL (fill in evil laughter here)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #16748 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »
Steph, I'm with you, I don't feel too comfortable leaving the country with so much going on right now.  My friends are leaving for Italy in May.  Can't wait to see their pics. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16749 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
That is a lovely memory, Callie.  I find that those kinds of memories stick like glue, I've gotten to the place that I don't take photos or write a diary, those types of memories are always there, and come out in a pleasant rush at the strangest times. I think that's the good part of travel:   the magic, the small personal discoveries, the once in a lifetime experiences.

I often wonder, tho, idly,  why people do travel,  you can have great experiences at home, too. What they/ we  are looking for, what they hope to find? Why not stay home?  I do think travel  changes people, opens their eyes,  broadens their outlook, and for the good. Hopefully for the good. Idle thoughts for an idle mind.

In other news, what are you all reading? I'm reading the new Toobin OJ Simpson: The Run of His Life story, it's very illuminating and somewhat frightening. There was a LOT of evidence that appears to have been mishandled or looked over. There was no doubt whatsoever among the defense team that he was guilty from the very first,  and that the forensic evidence showed two assailants, or so Toobin (if that's spelled correctly) asserts.  It's an eye opener, no joke. Shows you behind the scenes of the legal teams and why they think the prosecution failed.

I got the new Simonson book today, it looks really good.  I really loved her first one, hopefully this one will be as good.  One of my students last week told me about a Bill Bryson I had never heard of. He was living in a former rectory and he was describing every bit of it in detail, the history,etc. I am not sure which book it was but I really would like to read it, does that ring a bell with anybody?

Mary, I've always wanted to influence those ratings things! What fun!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16750 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:41 PM »
Wow look what I found - THE HARVARD CLASSICS The Five-Foot Shelf of Books that can be read in 15 minutes a day where each day's read is linked - Fifteen Minutes a Day - The Reading Guide

Today April 1 - the day is nearly over - but the read is --- "Oh! to Be in England Now That April's There"
Everyone knows the pangs of homesickness in the spring. Even bright, sparkling Italy could not wean Browning's affection from the green hedgerows of misty England.

Here is today's read...BROWNING'S POEMS Vol.42 p. 1068

O, TO be in England   
Now that April’s there,   
And whoever wakes in England   
Sees, some morning, unaware,   
That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf           5
Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,   
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough   
In England—now!   

And after April, when May follows,   
And the whitethroat builds, and all the swallows!           10
Hark, where my blossom’d pear-tree in the hedge   
Leans to the field and scatters on the clover   
Blossoms and dewdrops—at the bent spray’s edge—   
That’s the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,   
Lest you should think he never could recapture           15
The first fine careless rapture!   
And though the fields look rough with hoary dew,   
All will be gay when noontide wakes anew   
The buttercups, the little children’s dower   
—Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!          

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16751 on: April 02, 2016, 12:11:38 AM »
The elm-tree bole is the trunk or stem of a tree

A chaffinch

hoary-dew
White whitish or pale silvery gray - White or gray with age; hoar; as, hoary hairs -
So old as to inspire veneration; ancient; hoary antiquity.

Steph

« Reply #16752 on: April 02, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »
Ginny, your remarks on the Great British Bakeoff led me to look for it last night on Amazon Prime..What fun.. I am running out of Mozart, so this will also look like a keeper to me.. I love being able to see things when I want to, not when someone else wants me to.

Frybabe

« Reply #16753 on: April 02, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
My daily rummage through Project Gutenberg has rewarded me with an odd volume called The Autobiography of a Super-Tramp by William H. Davies. The forward is by George Bernard Shaw, so I will at least be reading that. It turns out that the author of the volume was a poet who spent much of his time as a hobo, both in the UK and the US.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._H._Davies

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16754 on: April 02, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
Today's 15 minutes is from Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle - Chapter XX is the diary of April -
http://www.bartleby.com/29/20.html

Particular there is reference to paragraph 14 on April 5, telling about a tradition of woman carrying large wooden spoons dressed as humans dancing on the grave of a dead man inspired by the full moon
http://www.bartleby.com/29/20.html#14

Steph

« Reply #16755 on: April 03, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
Storm went through, Now much cooler and dryer and windy, but lovely.. It occurred watching the bakeoff.. Brits like loaf cakes and bundt cakes, etc while we prefer layer cakes.. No idea why.. and they talked like the roll up type cakes was a Sunday thing and it is not particularly common for us.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16756 on: April 03, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
Frybabe found this - the entire book is read including the preface by George Bernard Shaw -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2CQMCGd08

Had not heard of the expression Georgian Poets - the names listed I only knew as Victorian poets - and yes, as Shaw says in the preface, they wrote from a viewpoint that elevated a clean simple life compared to most later twentieth century poet who wrote with an overlay of anguish attempting to give meaning to the emptiness and confusion that became ordinary life in the age of machines and industry.

Been listening and in the first chapter I was enchanted over his telling his sister had only known gifts of birds eggs and wild flowers rather than silver pens etc. - such a lovely picture of simplicity and realized we must still have that desire for simplicity since on my fireplace mantel there is a birds nest and some branches of leaves long since dried and a spray of cotton spilling from the branches and of all things a pear that has dried years ago, a memento of a walk that I can not even remember when or where but the pear dried in an interesting shape and holds a place on the mantel. 

Never thought further of this collection and now hearing the biography of Davies I'm thinking there is more poetry in our everyday lives than I ever imagined. Thanks for the tip on this book...

mabel1015j

« Reply #16757 on: April 03, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »
While cleaning out old email I came across the Harvard Classics and the quote about reading 15 mins everyday. How nice to have a site that makes it easy. Thanks Barb.

I picked up a Joy Fielding book at the library on Thurs. i don't know why, but I knew her name. I haven't read anything she wrote. Do any of you know her work? Does each book stand on its own, or should I read them in some order.

A friend mentioned watching Parade's End ondemand from HBO. It's a similar time in UK - pre-WWI - to Downton. I think it is just six episodes though, so I guess it will stay in that era. She mentioned it because it has a suffragette as a main character, and she was watching while quilting, the subject of our conversation. ☺️ I've seen the first two episodes, not bad, typically slow story of the BBC. You would recognize the lead character, i'll find his name, and the husband in "As Time Goes By" has a role in it.

Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch plays Christopher Tietjens

Geoffrey Palmer - Lionel in As Time Goes By

bellamarie

« Reply #16758 on: April 03, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Well a front went through our area and brought us a dusting of snow, and cold temps for today and the rest of the week.  My sweet baby daffodils and hyacinths popped through last week when we had 70 degree weather and now I fear the cold may kill them.  Oh how I long for the warm temps to come and stay awhile....

Which one of Joy Fielding's books did you pick up Jean?  I have never read her but for some reason you sparked an interest so I checked her out online.  She has 22 books and sounds like some of the titles are a bit intriguing. 

Frybabe

« Reply #16759 on: April 03, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »
Barb, thanks for posting the YouTube version. I am listening to it now.