Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049445 times)

nlhome

Re: The Library
« Reply #16800 on: April 11, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Pat, I'm so sorry. What beautiful memories.

bellamarie

« Reply #16801 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »
Just finished the book Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.  It's a beautiful story about two girls were become friends for life.   
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #16802 on: April 15, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
The Friends of the Library held one of their periodic book sales yesterday (and today). I actually came away with four books, a first for me. Roman Art by George M. Haufmann, Salvador Dali, Exploring the Irrational by Edmund Swinglehurst, Germs, Genes and Civilization by Davi P. Clark (I remember when that first came out that I wanted to read it, but never got the book), and A Treacherous Paradise by Henning Mankell (not part of the Wallander series). Surprise, none of them are SciFi. In fact, I only saw one SciFi in the whole lot.

bellamarie

« Reply #16803 on: April 15, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
After my volunteer work at Heartbeat of Toledo I stopped in at Barnes & Noble for lunch with my hubby, and browsed the sale shelves.  I walked away with some summer read fiction books:  The Good House by Ann Leary, Family Pictures by Jane Green and The Lemon Orchard by Luanne Rice.  Yesterday at my library I checked out Grand Avenue by Joy Fielding, (Jean mentioned she is reading it and likes it.)  Has anyone read any of these books?

I saw a few other books I almost bought, one was about understanding C.S. Lewis, and the other was a complete edition of Shakespeare.  I have to ashamedly admit I have never taken the time to actually read any of Shakespeare.  I am aware of some of his plays, and seen bits of Romeo and Juliet the movie. I may go back and get the book next visit.  Can't hurt to take some time to read a treasured classic or two.   :-[ 

Frybabe, your choices sound interesting.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Frybabe

« Reply #16804 on: April 15, 2016, 10:28:15 PM »
Bellamarie, Luanne Rice is an author I'd like to read at some point. She is on my library TBR list, but since I am borrowing them from the oldest on my list it will be awhile till I get to it.

Oh yes,Shakespeare. I don't think you will regret buy his complete works. We read Richard II and The Tempest here, and I read Hamlet, Macbeth and Julius Caesar in school. When I was a lot younger I understood his plays better when I saw them than just reading him. Several years ago I came across an article and video clips of a troupe who were doing his plays in his original Elizabethan English. Also, they did some research into the wording and discovered that as word meanings changed since then we've been missing out on some pretty funny stuff. At the least, don't miss reading his sonnets.

bellamarie

« Reply #16805 on: April 16, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Frybabe, Thanks, I am going to buy the complete works of Shakespeare when I go back next Friday.  The mall is just across the street from where I volunteer, so I like to stop in at Barnes & Noble for lunch afterwards.  On a different subject my hubby and I went to a Luke Bryan, Little Big Town & Dustin Lynch concert the other night.  Luke & Little Big Town sang Ed Sheeran's song Thinking Out Loud, which is one of my all time favorite songs.  It was a fantastic concert!!  I don't listen to enough music like I used to, I realized how much I need to get back to it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #16806 on: April 16, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »
I have a 2 volume set of Shakespeare's Complete Works, that my daughter wanted; however, the print is so small she can't handle it!  I can barely see it myself.  Wish the print were bigger.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16807 on: April 17, 2016, 04:20:45 AM »
Pat, I am just catching up and I am so sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you.  Rosemary

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16808 on: April 17, 2016, 09:35:11 AM »
If you're going to read Shakespeare, Bellamarie, get the Folger editions.  They have him on one side and help with his English on the opposite page.  Makes reading much more enjoyable.   I have been slowly working my way thru the plays and I usually read one then look at a movie of it, the BBC did all of them years ago, and there are newer movies of some too, of-course.(There's a brilliant Macbeth by Polanski).  I did not much care for the sonnets, except one or two of-course.  I think they are games he played to demonstrate his total brilliance with words and word play but not always satisfying to read.  i read that there were a group of poets of the time who competed in writing sonnets, and of -course Shakespeare put them all to shame and tied up the sonnet writing business forever so no-body has bothered ever since. Shakespeare is the most outstanding writer of the English language of all time, IMO, and I read him for his language rather that his content.  I don't think (just my opinion) that he bothered so much about the content of his plays, mostly getting the stories elsewhere, I think his satisfaction came from his word perfection.

Steph

« Reply #16809 on: April 17, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Oh Pat, I am so very sorry. Your daughter sounds very loved and treasured, but losing a child is such pain..  I loved reading Shakespeare and spent half the time looking up words, so the Folger sounds great. Actually seeing many of the plays made me understand so much more.. and acting in them at college, etc helped even more.. Came later to the Sonnets and still struggle with them, but love them.
So.. now I know.. no ocean going monsters for me.. Huge crowds,, all talking at once.. moving at once.. eating at once.. waiting for elevators.. with the smallest possible room which was mid level on price.. No.. loved my river boats so very much, but they are intimate and the big ones are not.. This one was Italian, so noone spoke really good English and that does skew what is happening. They also do some most peculiar things as routine.. The ship has no walking down rails or ramps in the theatre and a whole (over 4000) lot of people , most of which were older, who either fell or would not even try to walk down the wide walkway with no way to hold on. The crew throught we were weird and we though they were impossible. No decisions on the crew part, so it was frustrating if something was wrong, they had to get in touch with the invisible office.. All in all. a long long week.. never again.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16810 on: April 17, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »
Oh dear, so sorry to hear that Steph. It does sound pretty awful. I have heard that those European river cruises are great, but of course they are also horrendously expensive.

All part of life's rich experience I suppose - maybe you can write a book about it?

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16811 on: April 17, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
Steph, sorry you had such a bad experience.  But as you say, now you know, and you don't ever have to do that again.  The Mediterranean Road Scholar trip we took was on a 300 passenger ship, and we thought that was doable, but we didn't ever want to do anything even that size.  I'm going on a Maine Islands and Harbors cruise on a @100 passenger ship in August with John's sister and BIL.  We loved the Maine area, and I'm happy to get to see it again.  Years ago, we did two of the schooner cruises out of Rockland, ME - super, but for much younger folk than I.  LOL  There are a number of companies that do river/shoreline cruises in the US.  You might check them out.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #16812 on: April 17, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
Thanks for all the tidbits on Shakespeare, it will be helpful when I make my purchase.  Tomreader I noticed in Barnes & Noble you can buy a clear sheet that you lay over your tiny text and it will magnify it for you.  Maybe consider this.

Steph, Welcome home!  I am so sorry to hear of your cruise experience.  I have a BFF who went on a Disney cruise with her adult daughter.  It was a nightmare.  Lines galore to everything, bathrooms, eating, etc.  She showed me pics and there were thousands of passengers just simply packed in like sardines.  I got claustrophobic just looking at her pics.  My feet will stay on land unless it's a jet express to Put In Bay, or the dinner cruise ship we have downtown Toledo at the docks.  My son took me out in a speedboat at Manitou lake last summer and the water was so choppy he could barely keep us steady.  Maybe my boating days are coming to an end.  Now the pontoon was wonderful.   lololol

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16813 on: April 17, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the descriptions of large-size cruises.  That's sort of what I suspected--why I've never tried one.  I like small boats better.

It's a bummer that you got stuck with such a bad time, Steph.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16814 on: April 17, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
oh I have to redress the balance and say I have enjoyed large cruises, specially with a group.  You can have a lot of fun but not be tied to people all the time either.  We did a super one in the Baltic, up to St Petersburg, most beautiful city I have ever seen.  Also Mediterranean ones are interesting.  If you like a place you can always go back, have done that a couple times.
Not as nice as riverboat cruises but not all to be sniffed at either!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16815 on: April 17, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #16816 on: April 18, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
MaryZ, yes I have been investigating US small cruises and am interested in several, but in August, I am doing a Road Scholar Train trip.. Montreal to Nova Scotia, and looking forward to it. I do so love trains.  Lots and lots of people love the big boats and I am glad for them, but not for me..
Oh,, something I have never had on a river boat.. The maitreD and others in charge were not only rude to the passengers, but three times, I saw them shout at people.. I was so startled. I guess the customer is not always right on an Italian line/

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16817 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
I need to check the road scholar train trips. Thanks for reminding me, Steph.  When are you going?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #16818 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »
I have never rode on a train.  Good luck Steph maybe that trip will be more enjoyable.  We are planning a flight to Florida soon.  I haven't flown in quite a few years, I may need an anti anxiety pill.  I really am getting to be a homebody lately. 

Steph

« Reply #16819 on: April 19, 2016, 08:33:27 AM »
MaryZ   August 1-11. Stopping here and there and learning the history of that area. Looks like fun. I am really looking forward to it except for the flight home, My choices were 5:45am to leave to go to Montreal and then home... or 12 noon for a 12 hour flight that goes everywhere before going to Orlando.. So I am getting up at the before dawn... taking two alarm clocks.. etc.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16820 on: April 19, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Sounds  like a great trip, Steph.  We'll be taking a small ship cruise off the Maine coast during part of that time.  I'm looking forward to hearing your comments about your trip.  Are there single supplement charges?  Will you have a roomette?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16821 on: April 19, 2016, 10:48:43 AM »
Bellemarie - trains are brilliant!  So much nicer than planes, so much more fun than cars - and they're 'eco' too. I would go more places in Europe by train if they weren't so expensive - and I'd love to travel in one of those 'maharajah's' trains in India - but only if I could go first class, I'm ashamed to admit (and that's not going to happen!)

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #16822 on: April 19, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
I just recently retired a year ago, and my hubby will have been retired four years this July.  I was very much strapped at owning my in home daycare business year round so it did not leave me much time to take off on trips.  Now that we both are retired we are hoping to do some travel.  We both want to visit our ancestors homelands which for him is Germany and Scotland, and for me is Italy.  We are hoping for our 50th wedding anniversary, in five years to accomplish this.  We have never been to New York and that too is on our bucket list.  More feasible, much sooner than five years. 

Jean, I began reading Grand Avenue last night, and all I can say at this point is.....  WOW!  My heart is hurting for Chris, she is in a real dilemma.

RosemaryKaye, I just may talk myself into experiencing a train ride.  My father was killed by a train colliding with the truck he and other buddies were in on their way to work, when I was only two years old.  So needless to say I grew up with a bit of fear for trains.   

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16823 on: April 19, 2016, 12:32:47 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear that Bellemarie.

Your plans for travel sound great - and if you want any information about Scotland, just ask. Do you know whereabouts in Scotland your husband's family came from?

I have been on trains in Italy a bit and they were good - and much more economical than ours. Do you know which part of Italy you would visit? It's a wonderful country, so beautiful.

Best wishes,

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #16824 on: April 19, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
Bellemarie - i was enjoying (not the right word re:Chris' situation, but you know what I mean) Grand Avenue for the first 1/4 of the book, but now I am more than 1/2 way thru and all the women seem to have men as their focus, in one way or other. That seems to be true in so many books I've started in recent years. Are authors not able to write strong women without romance, or needing men? Or am I just more sensitive to it now?

I'm not talking about a well-balanced life with a spouse or relationship, but when 8 out of 10 pages about the protagonist is focused on what guy she can have sex with or whose husband is controlling her life, etc. that's not an interesting story for me. Maybe I got overly frustrated having just come off watching "The White Queen" series on Starz.  2 or 3 times in each episode they gave us bare breasts and/or fully naked women. I'm not a prude, but nudety has become like cursing - if the writers can't come up with a good story with good dialogue, I feel like they try to get attention with naked actors - especially women - and curse words.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16825 on: April 19, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
“The most damning revelation you can make about yourself is that you do not know what is interesting and what is not. Don’t you yourself like or dislike writers mainly for what they choose to show or make you think about? Did you ever admire an empty-headed writer for his or her mastery of the language? No.”

– Kurt Vonnegut
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #16826 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
Jean,  It is so funny you mentioned the fact it seems like authors and screenwriters seem to always make the women needy, or take a strong woman character and trash her by having an affair and focusing on anything but her strengths. I stopped reading Ovid because he seems to have an obsession of raping the females and turning them into animals or objects.  REALLY???  Who accepts such nonsense.  I know they got away with that back then and so on and so on....but I just can't tolerate it. I started watching The Good Wife when it first aired with Julianna Margulies.  It was only a matter of time they had her messed up and weak.  By the 3rd season I said why even call it the "good wife" when she is anything but.  This season is a hot mess, her chasing after the new male private investigator. I can see why it is going off the air. I don't think you are a prude, I think like you, I am just too mature, and expect more from female characters.  I really do need to write a book and keep the female strong.  Although I have to admit when I finished reading The Nightingale, I was very satisfied with both Isabelle, and her sister Viann.  The author did have them fall in love, but it did not overshadow their convictions and they remained very strong women to the end.  I'll finish Grand Avenue because I am invested in seeing where all these women end up.

Rosemary,  I know for certain we want to visit Vatican city.  Being Catholic, we want to experience seeing St. Peter's Square.  My grandparents were born in Campobasso Italy.  I am working on getting more information on my husband's family as far as Scotland and Germany.  His brother has the family Bible which has information we can acquire.  Thank you so much for offering some help.  I just may take you up on it as we proceed to plan this trip.

Steph

« Reply #16827 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »
St. Peters is fun, but the guides warn over and over... pickpockets are everywhere around the vatican.. Because people are looking so hard at things they wanted to see for so long..
Trains.. I adored trains, yes there is a single supplement on Road Scholar, but not on all trains..I get a compartment for overnight,, but a lot of people like to be on the day cars..  I live close to the Amtrak routes, which go through Orlando,so have used them a lot, plus when MDH was here, we did the auto train, which is great..

bellamarie

« Reply #16828 on: April 20, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
Steph, thanks for the heads up about the pickpockets. 

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16829 on: April 20, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Bellamarie....I think you'll find that there are pickpockets in every major city and at every major attraction. It doesn't matter if it's the State Fair or the Eiffel Tower or the Spanish Stairs or Big Ben or the Twin Towers.  Anywhere people can be distracted and caught up in the moment is ripe for those who'd like to benefit from your distraction. That's why places like TravelSmith or Magellan's sell items that prevent people from slicing the straps on your purse and why they sell purses with double closures, wallets with protection from those who would get your credit card info out of our wallet at an airport, etc.  There are lots of things you can do and buy to slow down or stop yourself from being a victim while traveling...in the US or elsewhere.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16830 on: April 20, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Very happy to help Bellemarie - just let me know.

Yes Jane, you're right, there are pickpockets everywhere - but Edinburgh is a fairly safe city, as is most of Scotland, so don't panic Bellemarie! 

Can anyone tell me if there is still an English Tea Room on or near the Spanish Steps in Rome? In one of Barbara Pym's novels there is a church holiday to Rome and they all go there to have a 'proper cup of tea' - an image I treasure, and which reminds me of an aunt, who used to go to Italy by train annually with her suitcase full of tea bags, marmalade and all the other things she couldn't last a fortnight without.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16831 on: April 20, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
Yes, Babington's Tea Room is still at the Spanish Steps. :)

I love to stay in the Vatican area, on Borgo Pio (the name of the street).  Just steps away from St. Peter's. A certain amount of "street smarts" is necessary on any trip in any country, I would think.

Interesting on the tea supplies, Rosemary. In reading the reviews for a hotel I was considering this trip the only negative ones kept speaking of there not being a kettle in the room and I did notice that all those who mentioned it were from the UK. :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16832 on: April 20, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
Oh yes - we are all totally horrified to find a hotel room sans kettle!  It's bad enough not getting a teapot!

Steph

« Reply #16833 on: April 21, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
Oh, I love the image of your own tea pot in the room.. How fun that would be.. I was not picking on the Vatican or Rome.. But in all my travels the guides were so very very careful at the Vatican. Mostly I think that people are looking up and around. and even the reserved in advance lines are quite long and take some time.
My experiences are more with gypsies in Paris,, oh my, they truly are a pain.. Since it is the children, who come racing up to you and act like they want to hug... The answer of course is NO NO>> My husband and I were strolling along the Seine and this man came out of nowhere, got in front of us and then.. surprise surprise,, leaned over and came up with a gold ring.. Then he came over to us with a long sad story of how he had found this ring and if it wasnt ours, possible we could look at it closely.. My husband   ,A new Yorker.. said.. Not a chance.. go find someone else. We got a scowl and rude gesture, but off he went for the next victim.

bellamarie

« Reply #16834 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
Steph, Thank you for sharing your experiences.  I am so very naive when it comes to things like this.  It helps to be aware of the little pranks people will attempt to distract you. 

When we were in Chicago, we stopped at a Tea Room, at The Drake Hotel, and there was a lovely cellist playing.  You could certainly tell we were tourists in our shorts. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16835 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
:) Here's a tip, Bellamarie: you may already know this but just in case you don't: they won't let you in to tour  St. Peter's in shorts, no matter how hot it is, nor sleeveless blouses, just FYI, there are signs everywhere for what they will not let in for men and women; it's better to know ahead of time, saves disappointment.

I say this because most tourists enter as part of another tour seeing other things that day besides St. Peters. They may have come on the hop on hop off Christian Tours bus and not realize they can't get IN St. Peter's.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16836 on: April 21, 2016, 03:57:35 PM »
I have been in Paris quite recently as my husband now works there permanently (or as permanently as anything is these days...) and I have not had any issues with gypsies. Maybe they just frequent the very well known areas. We were at the Louis Vuitton Museum in the Bois du Boulogne (which is fabulous, if only for the Frank Gehry architecture) and weren't hassled by anyone.

I haven't been to the Vatican (yet) but yesterday I was at the Palace of Holyroodhouse here in Edinburgh to see a new exhibition called Fashioning A Reign: 90 Years of The Queen's Wardrobe. There are going to be companion exhibitions at Windsor and Buckingham Palace in the summer, and I must say I think they probably got the lion's share of the frocks, but one thing I particularly noticed was the outfit the Queen had to wear to see the Pope. It is full length black with long sleeves and an accompanying mantilla - so if we just have to wear a skirt, we get off quite lightly!

Some of the most charming things in the exhibition were the little pink double-breasted coats that the Princesses Margaret and Elizabeth wore on a formal visit to Edinburgh in 1937. They also had lovely little pink straw hats decorated with flowers.

Ginny, you told me before how to insert an image into a post and I regret to say I can't find your instructions - could you bear to tell me again? Then, if anyone wants to see them, I will post some photos from the exhibition. I am no royalist, but it was quite interesting to see the 'creations' by Norman Hartnell and Hardy Amies (amongst others). I think most of Hartnell's dresses are awful, and I do wonder if the Queen actually likes this stuff or just feels it's her duty to wear it (she's very keen indeed on promoting the work of British designers and makers). The things that I found most fascinating of all were the hats - they range from the cute to the smart to the downright horrible (one looked like it had a spaghetti tree growing out of the top) - and a priceless (probably literally) one that looked like something a synchronised swimmer would wear in a 1940s Hollywood musical.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16837 on: April 21, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
Rosemary the photos have to be uploaded to a site before they can be shown here.  If  you can upload your photos to a free site like photobucket, then you can display them here, they give you the coding and everything. If you want to email them to me then it will take me a day or so to send the coding and the uploaded photo to you, I'm taking my grandson in an hour to his spring concert at school.

I'd like to see that exhibit, actually.

bellamarie

« Reply #16838 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:53 AM »
Rosemary, I would love to see your photos.  How exciting for you to be able to be in Paris and see the fashions of the Queen. 

I can load a photo album to this site from creating an album on Facebook also.   

Steph

« Reply #16839 on: April 22, 2016, 10:03:54 AM »
Ohyes, I would love to see the exhibit.. I loved Holyrood House... Our guide even showed us where the
Queen sits at banquets and instructed us on the royal standards and how to see who is in residence. And the lovely tour bus that goes straight up the street to the Castle at the end of the street. A lovely part of Edinburgh
Yes, the gypsies troll along the
Seine, outside of various museums and the Hmm, how do you spell it.. Chans a le say.. wrong wrong but t he Arc de Triumph is at the top of the hill and it is a long lovely stroll with parks, stores, etc.. 
Yes, the vatican is like Egypt.. no shorts, no short sleeves, etc.