Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049380 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: The Library
« Reply #16840 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Hi Ginny

Thanks so much and I have not forgotten, but I'm rushing to finish something before I go away for the weekend, so I'll do it when I get back.

Did anyone see the official photo released by Buck Palace of the Queen with various grand and great-grandchildren? I did think Zara Phillips' little girl looked sweet carrying the Queen's handbag for her.

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #16841 on: April 22, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »
I missed that photo Rosemarykaye, but I did see a shot or two of her in her lime green ensemble which I thought was lovely. I also saw her cutting her birthday cake. I am sure the recipe will show up on the net somewhere.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa

bellamarie

« Reply #16843 on: April 22, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
Wonderful pictures!  Thank you Jane.  Now I can't wait to see Rosemary's pics.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

rosemarykaye

« Reply #16844 on: April 23, 2016, 05:08:24 AM »
Hi Bellemarie

Just about to leave for the weekend, but here is a link to the article I wrote, should that be of any interest:

http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2016/04/fashioning-a-reign-90-years-of-style-from-the-queens-wardrobe/

It has quite a few of the photos that our photographer took, but there are some more so I will try to send them in to Ginny when I get back tomorrow night.

Best wishes,

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #16845 on: April 23, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the links Jane and Rosemary.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16846 on: April 23, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
Wow!  Rosemary, I have to say that's a very impressive piece of writing!  Is that the same "Rosemary Kaye" we know?   The one who thought she might take a writing course?

Wow.

bellamarie

« Reply #16847 on: April 23, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
Thank you Rosemary, what a wonderful article and tribute to the Queen.  I especially like the hats.  It would have been really nice to see this display in person.  I wonder if our Art Museum will do anything to honor the Queen's 90th birthday.

I have been a huge fan of the Royal family since Princess Diana and Charles married.  I have an Ashton Drake Princess Diana doll collection, and so many books on the Royals. Recently the Obamas visited Prince William and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge Kate, here is a link to some of the pics.  HRH The Duchess of Cambridge Kate has a real flair for fashion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pics+of+Obamas+visting+Prince+William&rlz=1C1RNRA_enUS507US507&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=479&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUsP786KTMAhXFFj4KHRRWDRIQsAQIHQ

My very favorites are these two:

Look how Kate is completely enjoying little Prince George while everyone else is chatting.  Such a beautiful pic of Mom & child.

Look how Prince William is adoringly looking at his beautiful wife, while she plays with Prince George.  It makes my heart melt.  They truly have a loving relationship.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Steph

« Reply #16848 on: April 23, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »
Loved the pictures and the article, although the little squib with the pictures is wrong.
Those are her youngest grandchildren ( the two older one that is) It says eldest..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #16849 on: April 23, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
Loved the articles and photos.  A few years ago we had a display of Diana's evening gowns at a local museum "The Appleton Museum" in Ocala, FL.  Along with the original gowns were photo displays of Diana wearing that particular gown.  I was particularly interested in the gown she wore when she danced with John Travolta, as he is a local resident.

bellamarie

« Reply #16850 on: April 23, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »
FlaJean, My Princess Diana doll collection is of her in that blue velvet gown she danced with John Travolta in, and 3 other special gowns. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16851 on: April 23, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »
Lovely article on the Queen's wardrobe Rosemary - your article has a different slant than the many we read - seeing the photos of Queen Elizabeth with the 12 presidents I was struck by just how elegant and self- contained was Mrs. Kennedy. Oh and I remember the photo of Queen Elizabeth with Bill Clinton - grim - which is a bird's eye view of how she must feel with her family's loose behavior.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #16852 on: April 24, 2016, 07:56:55 AM »
I saw the museum collection of Princess Diana's gowns. etc, but not in Ocala.. I honestly think we were in Washington and saw it there. a while ago of course.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16853 on: April 24, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I have a super book on Princess Diana's evolving style with the most marvellous pictures.  I did so love her final look, so simple, clean lines, exquisite fit, she was so gorgeous.

Yesterday being the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death, there have been a couple of interesting radio programs about him.  This morning On the Media had the whole hour devoted to him ending with a most moving account of Love's Labour Lost being translated into Pharsi and performed in Afghanistan.
Then the BBC had a program about Shakespeare in America.  Did you know....there is a statue to him in Central Park.  The money for it was raised by two actors,brothers, one of whom was John Wilkes Booth, who, they said, took the time to quote from Julius Caesar after he shot Lincoln. However I checked this, and they are wrong.  What he said was, "Sic semper tyrannis...", which is not in Julius Caesar.  Never mind.  Apparently it is what Booth thought about Brutus' motive in Julius Caesar  Wow anyway.....

bellamarie

« Reply #16854 on: April 24, 2016, 12:41:10 PM »
Dana, I agree Princess Diana evolved, in my opinion from a bit of a young frumpy school marm into a true elegant Princess style.  I think HRH Duchess Kate has her same elegance.  Being a mother of two sons myself, and very active in their lives, teaching them to swim, play baseball, basketball, tennis etc., I loved how Diana was active in William and Harry's lives.  Looks as if Kate has that in common as well with Diana.

When I visited Washington D.C. a few years ago we toured the Ford theater and then went into the bedroom where Lincoln died. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16855 on: April 24, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »
ROSEMARY: what an interesting article. Who knew so many issues were involved in picking her wardrobe: good for her, always using British made. And I had noticed that you could always pick her out in a crowd (o n formal occasions anyway -- I remember GINNY's story of standing next to her watching a parade, and not knowing who she was).

Did she ever wear one of those outfits twice? (HORRERS). How many hundreds of outfits it must take to get through the year!

bellamarie

« Reply #16856 on: April 25, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
Well, Jean, I just finished reading Grand Avenue and I must say it was worth finishing.  Lots of twists and turns, some expected, some I didn't see coming.  Thank you, I would never have come across this book to read, had you not mentioned you were reading it.

Since talking about Queen Elizabeth and her 90th birthday, I happened to come across this tonight on Facebook and had to share, it is the many changes or as the video is labeled Metamorphosis over her years....   https://www.facebook.com/100010178833404/videos/248151678867458/

Steph

« Reply #16857 on: April 25, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
Aha,, all visiters gone.. Now to cope with life. I had a mammo last Thursday and am told I must return tomorrow for a Diagnostic Mammo and ultrasound. I had a call back some years ago, but this one has spooked me a bit.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16858 on: April 25, 2016, 10:51:21 AM »
Most of these callbacks are just something unclear on the mammogram, and don't turn out to mean anything.  I flunk almost half the time, which is tiresome but no longer scary.  Good luck.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16859 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
I hope it's just a glitch on the film, Steph.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #16860 on: April 25, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
Steph,  I had a call back once also.  It was a shadow.  Good luck, I am sure it will be okay, but I know the feeling of having to deal with the what if.

Are we going to have a new book discussion for the month of May?  Does anyone know?

Steph

« Reply #16861 on: April 26, 2016, 08:27:56 AM »
Well I will be off at 9:15 for the test. Wish I were somewhat calmer. Tim was still alive with the last call back and it gave me something to calm down about.. Oh well, I know one thing for sure. Whatever is....is.. and I will simply sit down and cope/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16862 on: April 26, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
Be thinking about you - and yes, you will cope - you are good at coping so you will be just fine - no matter what you will be fine... there is so much that is done today and you will have the latest and best treatment if that is what is needed - and if it is only a shadow they will find that out as well - so no matter what is going on you will be just fine because you know how strong you are and how practiced you are in your ability to cope... good luck Steph...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #16863 on: April 26, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Good thoughts coming your way today Steph! 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16864 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:45 PM »
And we will all cope with you. I've been through this, and found out how good good friends are.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #16865 on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
Did you know that Ulysses S Grant played Desdemona in a US army production of Othello in Texas before the civil war?  He was the right size, apparently.  This is from the BBC and they do get their facts wrong, have not checked it, rather hope it's true!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16866 on: April 26, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Fun - no women in the army at the time so it fits - and since all parts during Shakespeare's time were played by men it would have been a notebook situation - but fun never the less to hear about.

Steph

« Reply #16867 on: April 27, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
The mental picture of Grant as a female is hysterical..  So.. after almost three hours of tests, etc. diagnostic mammo, ultra sound, back for more diagnostic, the opinion from two doctors is..l dense breasts that have gotten considerably denser in the past year, but nothing to be afraid of.. Some small cysts, but way small and not important. but oh my, that was a long shivery morning. I will say that the womans center was amazing. They held me close the whole morning, never leaving me along, so carefully explaining everything and generally making me feel supported and loved. Amazing women.. Makes me glad to be a woman supported by a community of caring women.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #16868 on: April 27, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »
Great news, Stephanie!

bellamarie

« Reply #16869 on: April 27, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
Steph, So happy to hear it's nothing to be concerned about.  Nice to know you had a great support group of women to help you get through this ordeal.  Have a great day!

Tomereader1

« Reply #16870 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:02 AM »
Great News, Steph!  We are all so happy for you!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16871 on: April 27, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
Relief Steph - pleased it is over and you can relax - nice to hear that you were well cared for and supported.

OK there was a question earlier about what is next - yes, Ginny has arranged for one more story from Ovid for the first week in May - the story of Jason - like so many of these stories we have heard them in one way or another but when we read them in Ovid we find they are much richer stories than the movie or children's version or the analogy of the story used in something we read.

And then for two weeks in May starting Monday May 9 a wonderful moving story - The Man Who Planted Trees - by French author Jean Giono - No need to run out and either borrow or purchase a book - the story is online and recently there have been several web sites with the story as compared to the many years when there was only one online source for this story. And, and, and the story has been made into a youtube movie - all these will be linked in the heading that will be available over the weekend before we start on Monday, May, 9.

I just love this story - there are several wonderfully illustrated books of the story that when my Grands were graduating from High School I gave as gifts to any of their friends who I met and who were also graduating.

The story lends itself to many avenues of discussion - therefore, a variety of topics for discussion will be the focus of the discussion questions each of the two weeks. Anyone can jump in at any time and share their thoughts since the questions are not an orderly process as when we are discussing a larger novel.

In June, as of now we have a full month of a current popular novel being worked on - as soon as Ella has that started we can share the information.

Starting May 2 thru May 6, the beginning of the Jason and Medea story from Ovid's Metamorphoses. We learn about Jason,  the hero who needed a woman's help, and the woman who wasn't always what she seemed.

Monday, May, 9 through Sunday May, 22  join us as we discuss a timeless story of one man, a shepherd, who for 40 years, single-handed planted and tended a forest in France while two wars waged on - WWI and WWII. French author, Jean Giono wrote this powerful and simple story, The Man Who Planted Trees.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16872 on: April 27, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »
Wonderful news, Steph.  Haven't the women's centers gotten marvelous over the years?!  They are SO caring.  In gender fairness, I found the same sort of nurturing in the general cancer treatment center where John got his chemo and radiation.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #16873 on: April 28, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
MaryZ, Oh I am glad to hear that because you do wonder if men can receive that special bond with others.. So the answer was they do.
Seems that Mayflower travel is offering a pre Mardi Gras tour..Feb. 20.. three days in New Orleans, three days in Biloxi, two parades with guaranteed seating,, visit to the Mardi Gras place that makes most of the floats, etc on and on. I want to go, but am not sure ,, It was one of Tims favorite places and I have not been since his death.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16874 on: April 28, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
hmm - this message explains how easily we fall into reading for comfort rather than being challenged by what we choose to read...

Jenny Diski: 'The mediocrity of fiction is really to do with feeling cosy’

bellamarie

« Reply #16875 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »
Some people read for pure pleasure, to relax and not have to be challenged.  I actually forgot how to do that after discussing some of the non fiction books or even fiction related to real life situations.  I have read five fiction books in the past month and absolutely am back to enjoying the pleasure of fiction for relaxation.  The suspense, the reality of dealing with cancer, the family dynamics, the friendships formed, the risks people take during wartime, the love of a couple, dealing with domestic abuse, etc., etc., are all life situations that some find mediocrity in fiction, where others see as challenging to read as non fiction drama.  So I'm not sure I can agree with Jenny Diski's statement.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16876 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
I'm thinking Bellamarie we need both - like as in life - we look forward to a relaxing weekend and yet, if we do not challenge ourselves in our work we are not growing and able to provide more service to those who benefit from our work -

I think that our brain needs that same cycle - a time to relax with what is mediocre (synonyms: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur) what would we do without amateur stage productions in our community or a school band or those who home sew - we are not all creating what is museum worthy and yet, how small our life if we choose never to visit and understand museum worthy art or hear live the symphony or a jazz band or see a movie with professional actors, much less have the good fortune to see a Broadway play that is a road production playing in a nearby community.

And so like reading - a cozy mystery or a current story that we will not see included among the list of literature studied in years to come, balanced by reading a bit of literature written either in the past or by a current author that challenges us to examine not only plot but structure and analogies that push us deeper into the story and its associations to life.

I do not think it is one or the other but both - just like we do not listen to all hip hop or rap music and ignore other genre - we know what is easy listening but we do not want to exclusively hear 'elevator' music and only listen to our favorites - if so we would never have any 'new' music - if we were stuck in music from the 70s or 80s we would never be able to enjoy a musical play like Hamilton.

I think all she is saying is how to define mediocrity which is reading that makes us feel cozy - I smile remembering how cozy I felt seeing my children and grandchildren on stage or playing in the annual recital or even being included in a special evening at a nice restaurant during the holidays where someone dressed with an old top hat read Dickens as we were served a typical Victorian menu. All warm and cozy as compared to seeing the stage production of "Les Miz" or even the movie version.   

bellamarie

« Reply #16877 on: April 28, 2016, 03:06:26 PM »
Barb, Both indeed give you a balance in literature, I just don't see fiction as mediocrity.

I am currently reading Population One Autism, Adversity, and the Will to Succeed by Tyler McNamer.  This is a book written by a nineteen year old boy, Tyler who was diagnosed with being on the Autism spectrum.  I love one of his quotes:  "Autism is not an excuse to be different.  Having autism is like being a regular person, but...Having a mind that views the world differently is a new experience for everyone....Autistic people are here for some reason.  Let's see if you can find that reason."

My grandson Zak was diagnosed on the Autism spectrum this past year.  He is eight years old today.  Zak like Tyler is what they consider "high functioning" he is in second grade with a tested fifth grade aptitude.  He can build the most amazing lego buildings I have ever seen, and he loves to make me laugh til I cry.  Zak was able to read at the age of one year old.  Zak, like Tyler is trying to educate his classmates about Autism by speaking to them about his feelings and how and why he sees things differently, yet still is the same kind of kid as they are, who wants to have friends, play video games, run cross country and do all the other things a normal eight year old does.  He explains how he just has sensory issues that sometimes cause him to feel overwhelmed with sound and people.  I have learned a lot reading Tyler's book and also from my grandson Zak who spends the night with me and Papa every chance he gets. 

Tomereader1

« Reply #16878 on: April 28, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Beautiful, bellamarie!  Kudos to you, Papa and Zak!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16879 on: April 28, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »
STEPH: HOORAY!