Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049388 times)

ginny

• Administrator
Re: The Library
« Reply #16880 on: April 28, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16881 on: April 28, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »

Yes, that's wonderful news, Steph,  I'm so happy for you!

And kind of proud of the people in here, too.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #16882 on: April 29, 2016, 06:26:19 AM »
Bellamarie sounds like you have been blessed with an extraordinary opportunity that although a difficult circumstance you and your grandson have become extraordinary because of it.

It is raining so hard it woke me up so here I am after only a couple of hours sleep - thank goodness nothing scheduled for the morning.

Been reading Fighting Light Pollution: Smart Lighting Solutions for Individuals and Communities by The International Dark-Sky Association - they report how most outdoor lighting is sending more light into the sky than it is to the earth and the light makes it easier to see the surrounding area from a distance than from under the light fixture - Their concern is light pollution that allows only a dim look at the night sky where as another book I barely stared,  The End of Night: Searching for Natural Darkness in an Age of Artificial Light by Paul Bogard,  goes into how the birds need a dark night as do fireflies and both fireflies especially but birds and bats eat mosquitoes - so that without the fireflies and song birds to eat the mosquitoes we end up using pesticide on the mosquitoes.

We learned reading For Love of Lakes how we are all living uphill from some waterway, and the pesticide is washed by rain to the waterways that is the culprit to the growth of algae and with enough algae a lake becomes a dead lake, but for sure with an algae problem the area looses some of its fish - what a connection all because folks use too much wattage in their outdoor lights and do not shield them properly so the light bulb will light up the land and not the sky and surrounding trees.

I'm just fascinated with these connections - well this is not going to make me drowsy so I can crawl back between the covers so I better get off here.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #16883 on: April 29, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
I read a huge variety of things, but challenge... hmm, there are so many types of challenge in the world. What one person regards as the perfect literature, another will walk away.. So I read what I want, when I want...Life has a lot of challenges.. so reading for me is pure joy.. No reading so that I can say ... oh I read that wonderful things, when I hate it.. We used to read a lovely variety on here, but now not so much.. Oh well, I enjoy the separate discussions very much.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

bellamarie

« Reply #16884 on: April 29, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
Good morning Steph, I have to agree with you.  If I don't enjoy something I am not going to stick with it just because it would impress someone by saying it was a challenge and it was a classic etc., etc.  What feeds one's mind and soul is not necessary food for others.  I have finally found the joy of reading back into my life these past couple of months, something I had lost by reading too much of the serious non fiction.  I LOVE fiction again!!! 

Everyone have a great weekend and enjoy your books no matter what they are.  Snuggle up, be cozy, and appreciate the words authors have had the courage to write and share with the world.  Tyler McNamer the nineteen year old with Autism sure showed his courage in writing his book to share with the world, even though he worried he would receive negative comments.  He taught me so much reading his book.  I spent the evening with my sweet lovable Zak celebrating his 8th birthday watching him build the new lego buildings and the joy on his face when he opened our gifts and said, "OH WOW you got me the police station lego!"  was pure joy to my heart.

Thank you Barb and Tom, yes, our Zak has brought a new meaning to our lives.  Seeing the world through his eyes is extraordinary. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16885 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
As long as we realize everyone here enjoys a different genre and we support each other - the book may not be our favorite but who wants to let someone down who has worked hard to bring us a story with interesting questions so we can discuss the story as well as they bring some background work to the selection - Hope you will all be OK supporting our reads here on Senior Learn, if only for a sentence or two - that kindness is what makes us friends and friends most of us have become.

Like you I too like fiction - I particularly enjoy reading the Irish authors - they have such a way with words - Still have not started The Green Road by one of my favorites, Anne Enright - loved reading The Gathering from a couple of years ago - I think it won the Booker that year - not that crazy for Colum McCann, most of his stories are a bit too raw for me - Seán Ó Faoláin and Frank O'Connor are two more that have that way with words... oh yes, cannot forget Nuala O'Faolain and her book My Dream of You.

Not Irish but fun - always have to read the latest adventures of M. C. Beaton's, Agatha Raisin and I have on order but it has not yet arrived, Almost French: Love and a New Life In Paris by Sarah Turnbull - sounds like a light romance story.

Well it is the calm before the storm - in another couple of hours we are supposed to get a doozy - the weather report says golf ball size hail, winds and tornado's - have my candles and matches out and a big pot of coffee made that I can heat a cup over a votive candle - unfortunately I only went grocery shopping the other day so if the electricity goes I need to keep the frig door shut - cell is charged - blankets on the floor of the closet more as to make a soft spot because it is "HOT" at least in the high 80s and by mid-afternoon they said the 90s and so I'm in good shape.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16886 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »
Stay safe, Barb!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16887 on: April 29, 2016, 05:33:14 PM »
Let us know you're OK, BARB.

READ "The End of Night." and was fascinated by it. I live in possibly the most light polluted areas on the planet (Los Angeles) and I resent the fact that I can't see any stars at night.

He makes a case that sleeping where it is still light is bad for the health. I always keep  a light on at night, as I read myself to sleep. what do you all think?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16888 on: April 29, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
Yes we all read different genres, who does not? We all read what strikes our fancy.   When you sign up for a book club, usually the book chosen is one that can spark ideas or sharing or has something worth saying, perhaps is of historical interest, we've read everything here in our 20 year history. Literally everything. Books about pigs talking (Animal Farm) books about people operating on themselves in the Arctic, books about how the transcontinental railroad was formed, books about insanity (The Yellow Wallpaper),  books about religion (Brideshead Revisited) books about social status (Remains of the Day) books about ghosts,  (The Rime of the Ancient Mariner), Sci  Fi (R.U.R), books about the outdoors (Into Thin Air), books about adventure and women's issues:  (the woman who rode alone  a camel across the desert of Australia, Tracks),  and the one who wrote Down the Nile about her trip alone down the Nile in a rowboat.   Look at the Archives, I don't see anything left out.

Different books.

In order for a book CLUB which is different from an individual reading in his own living room,  to operate, it has to have readers. And those readers have to sign on with some degree of what Horace called Sapere Aude: Dare to know. You stick out your neck and try something new. Maybe it was not your choice, but you're there loyally. You hope that nobody argues with your own personal opinion, but if they do, you hope they will confine it to one statement, because very few of us want to argue.  You expose yourself to new things in the spirit of learning something, enhancing your reading,  from the other participants and hopefully, the book.

Horace wrote that saying in reference to a "fool," as he called him, who was standing on the bank of a swift flowing stream waiting for it to stop so he  could cross. In order for us to make book discussions go we have to take the plunge literally and try. If we are not offering a large choice of book discussions, then those noticing that may want to ask when the last time was they participated in a book CLUB discussion on our site.

Let's all try to Sapere Aude in the coming months.  We used to say we won't get to my choice this time but perhaps next time it will be one I suggested. We've got some great ones in the planning stage, some of which have been mentioned here.

I'd like to remind everybody that the Odyssey was the second choice of our infant book club in 1997, following Snow Falling on Cedars,  and it went almost a year. I know that because I led it, and it was wonderful. If we want bookclubs, we must support them positively.

I hope you and all those in the path of the storm will be OK, Barbara!!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16889 on: April 29, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
My cousin and her husband live in Tucson.  He worked at the Kitt Peak Observatory (probably retired now).  One of the things he was most interested in was light pollution - so it's not a new problem.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

nlhome

« Reply #16890 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »
The blue light from our devices is supposed to interfere with our sleep. My daughter and her husband don't use their phones or tablets the last hour or so before bed, and they tell me not to use my computer before I go to bed.  My son-in-law went through their house and covered all the lights that are on at night with red film, such as the night lights and clock faces. He says if they get up at night to use the bathroom or feed the baby, they are be able to go back to sleep easier, as will the baby. I try to read to relax before bed, but I read from a book, not a tablet, but I turn out the light before I drop off.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16891 on: April 30, 2016, 12:13:19 AM »
I read myself to sleep, usually falling asleep with the book in my hands, which of course means the light is still on.  At least it isn't blue light.  The book and my sleep health just have to take their chances.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16892 on: April 30, 2016, 02:23:22 AM »
I have used a nightlight for years - however, I think the concern is not the low wattage light we use in our house as much as these bright, often LED or Halogen bulbs, that folks are being sold as security lights - they are brighter and give off more light than the average street light - folks using them are not aware how far reaching and bright the light.

Since those up to no good will unscrew the light bulb the homeowner or commercial site places them high and out of reach which only exacerbates the light pollution that even average window coverings will not block -

Not to say that blue light is not a problem but that we can control - it is the light pollution that unless your city ordinance including a light pollution ordinance as they often have for a sound pollution there is only appealing to their kindness - and kindness goes so far when to shield these lights means a custom made shade since there appears not to be a manufactured shade for most outdoor security lights. 

I think what bothers me as much as disrupted sleep is the loss of fireflies - to realize children are growing up without the thrill of catching fireflies on a summer night - and the loss of birds waking me since they do not nest in trees that are flooded all night with light - and with the danger of mosquitoes, never mind their annoyance, they are and will continue to be a plague as their natural predators disappear.

Not much for star gazing - back in my teen years I wanted to know the names of various stars and star groups but everything I could read at the time went into depth - there was no book that could be used as a simple spotter similar to bird books which gave a photo of a bird, its name and a bit about it.  Oh yes, there were and are still some bird books that go into its flight pattern and silhouette to use to help ID and the birds habitat etc. and maps showing the range of the birds but there are some that are simple - similar birds are grouped following each other page after page but a photo, the name, often the formal usually Latin name, size and a paragraph or two about the bird - that is what I would have liked for the stars and constellations - ah so... 

Well earlier round of storms were not the horror predicted - in fact I napped through most of it however, we are in for that scary storm during the night or rather very early morning - so I better get some sleep while I can.   

Steph

« Reply #16893 on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
I read before going to sleep, but always paper and put it away and shut off the light. However I live in a courtyard house.. and in my courtyard,I have a pretty little solar lantern.. When I wake at night ( always wake, darn it all) I can look out my sliders and see my brave little light and somehow it makes me feel all is well and I fall back to sleep.
As to book clubs, I belong to several. The thing about Senior learn is the length of the discussions and I am not fond of .. a certain amount of .. lets see what is happening in a certain area with pictures, etc. I know I am alone in this, so I dont join in the particular discussions very often. I dislike picking a book apart..sorry.. my f2f clubs, we discuss the book for generally 90 minutes and that works well for me.

bellamarie

« Reply #16894 on: April 30, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
I have to have total darkness in order to fall asleep, so I bought darkening shades, and dark curtains to block out the street lights.  I live in the suburb, but very close to the Michigan line where there are open fields and a creek so my backyard is filled with birds chirping, squirrels, frogs, rabbits, chipmunks, and every now and then a baby possum is left in our inground pool which means the Mama brought them for a swim during the night.  During the summer we have fireflies galore!!  I feel blessed to have a little bit country, and a little bit city where I live. 

Steph, I agree, I enjoy a discussion that has a time limit and then go on to another book. Discussing one book for months and months seems a bit much.  If there are a couple members who want to keep the discussion open after the projected end date that's fine, but out of respect for members wishing to begin a new book, they should not have to wait months to do so, it could possibly keep members participating more if we moved on. I really don't enjoy picking a book apart to the point you lose the enjoyment of the read. To me that is a class, not a book club discussion. I read for knowledge but mostly relaxation and enjoyment. I may not be worldly, traveled, or highly educated like some, I join the discussions with hope to enrich my knowledge and library, but in no way am I a scholar of the languages and art, so I hope for some patience, rather than indignation. I am honored we have many different esteemed members who have the knowledge they do, and graciously share in the discussions, I have learned so much from them. I would like to go back to members submitting their choices so we all have some input on which book will be discussed, it would bring more variety and different personalities to our choices. We have had members dropout who have mentioned many interesting books they would like to read, and have shared with us for possible discussions. I know we all have busy lives and can not always join the discussions daily, but announcing the book a couple months in advance and a projected begin and end date may interest members to join, and stick with their commitment. Just a thought..... 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

CallieOK

« Reply #16895 on: April 30, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Steph and BellaMarie about book discussions.  I read for pleasure and to gain knowledge about places and historical events but do not like to "analyze" each and every page or the author's philosophy.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16896 on: April 30, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing Bellamaria - some ideas to toss around - one issue I know was talked and talked and belabored that a discussion leader finds no joy in discussing a book that takes so much work to prepare and bring to our boards if the discussion leader does not enjoy the topic - in that I think Ginny makes a point there is a variety but then I bet in the face to face book groups you belong to there is also a variety - the only one I belong to here in Austin is the one where we only discuss books by author Haruki Murakami and frankly I do not enjoy some of his stories where as some I think are absolutely brilliant.

We are finding it harder to plan so far in advance - our ages bring unexpected events so that as the saying goes the best laid plans of mice and men... we most often only have something decided a month in advance - in fact we are reacting to so few getting into Ovid since the plan had been to read at a pace of a story a week for the entire year -

In preparation we end up reading a couple of books till we find one that provides enough issues to make a discussion out of the read - for instance Ella has gone through I think last count 4 or maybe it is 5 books till she is semi settled on the book she plans for June and still things come up -

Well this next read that starts on May 9 should be right down your alley with a 2 week discussion - it is almost ready to go and will be announced this Monday after Ginny starts the last story we will discuss from Ovid on Monday about Jason and Media. Been reading on my own some of Ovid and found the whole story of the winter wind fascinating and did not know that the story of the first twigs from trees were supposed to have come from one of the snakes that is Media's hair. Now it makes sense how we still tease to watch out for a big stick on a trail when walking because it could be a snake.

Well anyhow - we cannot please everyone with every story - just hope we do not loose our ability to support but instead choose only to participate if our own individual need for a certain kind of book that is to our liking is discussed - It really does not take a lot to add a post that is a short one sentence and it does cheer everyone to think we are really a group of friends and although at times we all think our viewpoint should be agreed to - it just does not happen - we logically know we all have different life experiences but oh how easy to forget when we are championing our views -

And yes, it may seem like classroom time but we know just like playing music there are basics like scales and chords and various parts to reading music just as there is to reading - there are untold books on 'How to Read a Novel' that lay it out. Half of reading is to find the parts of a story to appreciate and even be in awe at the skill of the author.

I know this is long but I was just bowled over - my order for The Elements of Eloquence came - talk about opening Pandora's box - I did not know but right off the bat the author goes into how Shakespeare wrote that I had no idea - evidently his subject matter often came from the history books available at the time but the biggie - Shakespeare uses many words and word and sentence groupings and a play buildup that sound so perfect - well it turns out he learned this in school. He, as other well known authors like Dickens are using tricks of rhetoric - these skills were not some trick in their bag but they simply opened a book that had them all listed and showed how they were used.

Rhetoric was a big subject that included the art of persuasion and techniques for making a single phrase striking and memorable by just altering the wording. These formulas were from the Ancient Greeks and added to by the Romans. During Shakespeare's lifetime the classical works on rhetoric were dug out and translated into English while he was school age. The so called 'flowers of rhetoric' were in a book entitled The Garden of Eloquence published in 1577 - Shakespeare was born in 1564. The Garden of Eloquence was his recipe book for writing and since, scholars of Shakespeare can trace his evolution as he grew in his skill using these tricks of rhetoric.

Well I found a copy of The Garden of Eloquence - unfortunately it is not an easy read - it is written in Old English which I am not adapt at translating.  I can get the gist of what is said but I loose some of it - but for instance I did learn that a climax is supposed to build - there is examples going back the Cicero and others and they explain a Climax has four periods of growth where each climax is in preparation for the big climax - well I never knew that - so that looking at a story now I now know to look for 3 smaller climaxes in preparation for the big 4th climax.

Almost like learning to drive back before automatic gears and you had to learn how to shift gears - seems to me there were 3 gears to shift till you were finally cruising along - it also reminds me of baking or cooking - there are parts and ingredients that when put together you have a pie or roast or stew or whatever.

Just did not know that these recipes were available to writers and that authors use these tricks only today, these so called tricks are boringly taught in English class and all of them are not included in today's helps to writing. To top it off they are not taught in a way that each student can take one of these tricks, like alliteration, and play with it and have fun with it and try taking a sentence from a newspaper or book and rewriting it using alliteration which is exactly what Shakespeare did.

Seems his stories often came from Plutarch's Lives of the Nobel Greeks and Romans  translated into English by Thomas North in 1579.

North says ....she disdained to set forward otherwise but to take her barge in the river Cydnus, the poop whereof was of gold, the sails of purple, and the oars of silver, which kept stroke in rowing after the sound of the music of flutes, howboys, cithernes, viols, and such other instruments as they played up in the barge.

Shakespeare picked barge and worked it from there using the letter B and getting four Bs in two lines. This trick is followed by others all written out in The Garden of Eloquence.

The barge she sat in like a burnished throne,
Burned on the water, the poop was beaten gold,
Purple the sails and so perfumed that
The winds were lovesick with them, the oars were silver,
Which to the tune of flutes kept stroke, and made
The water which they beat to follow faster,
As amorous of their strokes.

here is the PDF of The Garden of Eloquence - it is a copy of a book held in the library at Cornell - there are 24 sections that I think we would call chapters with a total of 166 pages - I would love to find a copy of this book re-written in modern english

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924013122613;view=1up;seq=4

Steph

« Reply #16897 on: May 01, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
No,, when in college we dug under and rooted out the meanings and I never liked it and to this day dont.. Good books.. Hmm. well I just finished "The Rainbow comes and Goes" by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt.  He wanted to know more about his mother and at 91 she was prepared to tell him.. I loved it.. I suspect I could never be that honest with my sons, but she certainly was.. and so was he.. Not a long book or perhaps an important one, but it said some things about money, lonliness , and grief..
Next  up is probably Sue Klebold  " A Mothers Reckoning".. but I may stick in a few lighter ones first.. I have a secret weakness for Cassandra Clare and may shift her up to batting position.,

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #16898 on: May 01, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
Ah well, de gustibus. You know you're among friends when the people who have literally almost killed themselves for 20 years  devotedly trying to offer a haven for people who love books to talk on any subject don't mind critical comments about what they put up and how they put it up, demands for this or that TO be put up, being told they are not respectful in the time a book discussion continues, and the subjects that are put up: you must be among friends, right?  :)

Old friends as we are, I understand that some of you don't like to "tear a book apart," and so you don't. We get it. Those who do enjoy seeing what the author does, despite being in the very few minority, can also find  a home here, and continue doing what they love. Who could read, for example,  Coleridge's

'The ship was cheered, the harbour cleared,
Merrily did we drop
Below the kirk, below the hill,
Below the lighthouse top.

and not marvel at how, in the second line, he literally causes the syllables to drop physically in the scansion along with the meaning of the  text? Some of us really appreciate and love the craft that authors deliberately use.  Those who don't have a plethora of places (put up by the same people who love to look closely or whatever negative appellation is put on it) at text.

De gustibus non disputandum. (Which means, for those who don't care to look it up: there is no point in arguing about taste). If we allow,  and even encourage,  by putting up lots of discussions on every genre, on a private website which is not free to run (that would be this one), for everybody,   please do allow us, in your generosity, to do the same for the one time we enjoy what we're doing, and allow us to enjoy it without cavil.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16899 on: May 01, 2016, 10:25:53 AM »
ha  ;) talk about 'De gustibus non disputandum' - was not familiar with the word 'cavil' - wonderful - I am still smiling - need to remember cavil - seems appropriate for many issues - the other day would you believe a group was discussing their not liking to sing the National Anthem at a sports event - they were finding fault with the anthem saying it was a war song and a battle song and it was sung at sports events because there were many young men at a sports event - could not believe what I was hearing - those who said there are so few times we sing the anthem any longer and how they love belting it out where you are not embarrassed and how beautiful the second stanza were drowned out by those who saw the anthem as the worst and they thought there were so many other songs more appropriate - oh oh oh - how about maybe next we should suggest the flag was in so many battles and it represents war - we should design a new flag - on and on talk about cavil...!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #16900 on: May 01, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
As a child, I was frequently told "de gustibus - said the old lady as she kissed the cow".  But I knew what it meant.  LOL

Steph

« Reply #16901 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »
Ginny, oh Ginny, I was not trying to hurt your feelings.. Just struggling with how I felt and a little bit of how much our discussions have changed.. I note that people are not posting much any more and that makes me wonder why. I think of all of you as my friends and know when I have struggled with grief and loss how much you helped me.. I am not trying to tell anyone what to discuss or why,, just really explaining why I only participate in ones that I want to..So enjoy and I drop in each day and will continue hoping that for me, there will be a discussion of some of the millions of books I read and enjoy.

CallieOK

« Reply #16902 on: May 02, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »
Once again, Steph, you have expressed my feelings in every way much better than I could ever do.  Thank you.

"Empire of the Summer Moon" was one discussion in which I could actively participate and I enjoyed it very much.  I've read the book while following several others but simply do not have the background or the mind-set to contribute comments. Nevertheless,  I learn a lot from those who do - and I appreciate the opportunities to do so.

Frybabe

« Reply #16903 on: May 02, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
I remember that Callie. It was a very good discussion. As I recall you posted some great links, too.

bellamarie

« Reply #16904 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Steph,  I saw part of the interview of Gloria Vanderbilt and her son Anderson Cooper yesterday.  He was a bit shocked when she shared she had a lesbian relationship with a roommate in college.  He laughingly said, "This is the first I have heard about this."  Not sure if he was ready to hear it publicly for the first time.  She then said, "It was not for me."  There are some things I have not shared with my adult kids from my past.  Some things are private and shall remain, as I am sure they feel the same.   

I do consider us friends in this group, and as friends we should be able to say what we feel could help improve participation in the discussions. Change is good, what worked years ago may need a bit of tweaking today. It's not about any particular member wanting only their choice of book to be considered, or who is right or wrong, or not discussing a person's taste.  As a group we need to consider what we can do to attempt to get members more active and participate in the discussions.  Using the word "cavil" is in essence telling us who are trying to say what we think could help the discussions, that you do not care to hear what we think and feel, because it is trivial.  I do not see it as "complaining about what is not important."  Unless there are a few who would prefer to continue discussing their book with only one or two members and are satisfied to have others post a sentence or two every now and then, we need to consider what other members are expressing,because it is important. This is not to offend anyone, Steph, Callie and myself along with others have tried to express our considerations of making the discussions more enjoyable and ways to attempt to get more members to join in on the discussions, and I'm sensing it is falling on deaf ears.  My apologies if I have misspoken. I sincerely would hate to see this bookclub cease to be a discussion group

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16905 on: May 02, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
 Frybabe, Steph, Callie, Bellamarie, and whoever else I forgot to mention: you are all saying some extremely important things. 

It's not always obvious, but the DLs do a lot of tweaking in an effort to make discussions more successful and enjoyable.  For instance, you notice that we no longer vote for books.  That's because we weren't getting usable results.  The votes would be scattered all over the place, evenly divided with no clear majority.  It was impossible to figure out if we would get a usable number of participants for any one book.

As Barb has said, we are going to try some shorter discussions.  JoanK tried that once in the Mystery discussion and it wasn't very successful, but that was because most mysteries aren't very suitable for it.  But I think it will work well for many books.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16906 on: May 02, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
One thing you could do for me is to say one or more books that you thought made particularly good discussions in the past.  Say why, if you want, but just knowing which ones work for you is useful.

Frybabe

« Reply #16907 on: May 02, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
Bellamarie I don't think you have misspoken.  It speaks to something I have noticed, or think I've noticed for a while now. While we have been losing some of our valued posters over the last several years, I haven't seen many new members posting on a regular or semi-regular basis. I have, so far as I know, been rather unsuccessful in prompting my sister and a few of my book-loving acquaintances to register and participate. We've had a wonderful showing in our Latin classes, but I don't see many (are there any?) of them making the slide over to the general discussions, not even into the Classics Forum open to all.

If there is one thing I have learned from participating in these discussions, it is that ALL are welcome. I have never felt put down or put out by any of these discussions or the participants. I am in awe of some of you how have had knowledge and experiences far beyond mine and, regardless, I still feel a valuable part of the discussions. And you all put up with me. Wow!

Frybabe

« Reply #16908 on: May 02, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
Pat, I was composing while you posted. I will have to think about why some books resonated more than others for me. Some discussions I liked include Major Pettigrew, where we saw him grappling with social changes and prejudices. The Jewel in the Crown series was all about social changes, prejudice, abuse, and the challenges to becoming an independent country with the right of self-determination. Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey were rousing adventure, and the probability that at least the basics were true didn't hurt. We did Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness. It's a little harder to pigeonhole, but it included several types of society and their interactions, as well as the difficulties of diplomatic endeavors.

A book we have not discussed is Elizabeth Moon's Remnant Population. It is about an older woman who chooses to stay on a planet (yes it is SciFi) that is abandoned by the colony because of the company (sponsor of the colony) policy that no planet can be colonized if native sentient lifeforms already inhabit it. Once discovered, the colony pulled out. The woman relishes her freedom from constrictions, learns how to be self-reliant, and eventually she gains the trust and friendship of the resident lifeforms, and begins to teach them. Up until that point, I think these lifeforms were closer to hunter/gatherers than anything else.

Well, this short list makes it sound like I lean toward books with social issues, but that is not neccessarily so. These are just the ones that stand out in my mind right now.

bellamarie

« Reply #16909 on: May 02, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
PatH., Thank you for your interest, and asking for some of the books we have discussed that we thought were good discussions.  Scrolling through our archives I can see where many books held the readers/member's interest to post and stay til the end.  My personal best were many, so I will just list these, in no particular favorite order:

Girls of Atomic City
Boys In the Boat
Kristin Lavransdatter
Emma
Dead Wake
The Cellist
Hot Zone
I Always Loved You
Remarkable Creatures
Persuasion
Good Earth
President’s Club
Old Filth
Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
Little Bee
So Happy Together
Possession
Old Cape Magic
Life of Frances Perkins
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Alice In Wonderland
Wives and Daughters
Those Angry Days

As you can see I am very open to all genres, fiction & nonfiction.  I did notice when we have a set beginning and ending date being a month to six weeks discussion, it seems to keep people's interest to the end of the book.  I want to say I appreciate all the time and talent our DL's put into the preparation of the questions, and their patience, and understanding with us who are less knowledgeable in the areas of the topics of the discussions.  I personally have learned so much and broadened my reading since being with this book club.  I always look forward to each and every member's comments, and respect our views may be different, which gives us all better insights into what the author may be trying to show us, or just another way to see things.  Sometimes, I do feel a story has been written for enjoyment and not to be looked any further than their intent to spark an emotional, social, suspenseful, and enjoyable read.  Other times I can see where the history, people, places and events are challenging the reader to really give more thought provoking interest to the story. 

One thing I also noticed scrolling back through our discussions, many members suggested books for future read and were never mentioned again.  I understand the DL must consider if the book chosen will be something that will spark the members enough to put their time into preparing a discussion.  I suppose if we could possibly make an ongoing list in the section "Future books to discuss" we could choose from that list, (not necessarily vote on), so members will see their choices are being recognized.  It's a thought.....  again, thank you PatH., for asking for input. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16910 on: May 02, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
Nice list from both Frybabe and Bellamarie - there is a place that has not been used in a year where book suggestions can be posted - just two lists and little overlap - but then with others posting their favorite discussions we may see a pattern.

To post suggestions here I hope is the link... never was good at posting links within our own site.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=309.1320

Frybabe

« Reply #16911 on: May 02, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
Oh yes, Bellemarie, how could I have forgotten The Girls of Atomic City since I was one of those who suggested it. Also, The Cellist. Most of the rest on your list I didn't read. Both were very good. We learned a lot with those two.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #16912 on: May 02, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
Good point about forgotten suggestions, Bellamarie.  Sometimes it doesn't look like the book would make a good discussion, sometimes no one wants to lead it, but sometimes books fall through the cracks.  Maybe I'll search back for some of those.

Tomereader1

« Reply #16913 on: May 02, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
Although it seems not many of the members are posting to the site lately, there is always: Fiction, Old, New and Best Sellers. A lot of what many of us read and enjoy would be posted to that discussion, IMHO.  I know the "classics" engender a great following here in the Library.  I know the DL's do a tremendous amount work on the discussions, and it is deeply appreciated by those who follow religously (i.e. the Ovid, etc.) But as I will look in on such discourse, I am with Bellamarie, Callie, Steph and don't find myself "qualified" (if you will) to make comments.  A long time ago, I posted a note here about how amazed and awed I am at the depth of knowledge of most of the members in this group.  I always assumed "The Library" was a forum for all types of genres, but it seems more like a "Classics Forum" of late.  More power to those of you with the wherewithal, desire and education to promote and continue in the current vein.  I love and respect you all. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #16914 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
I had a lovely time reading the comments since yesterday. I can see that  some of us want to join the discussions, but are not interested in long drawnout ones.. Mysteries are a favorite of many of us, but they are generally hard to discuss. I have the Remnant Population in my tbr pile somewhere, since I loved the idea and will try and dig it out.
I did not see  that interview with
Anderson and Gloria but loved her honesty in the book..To think she calls him Andy in the book. Somehow he struck me as Anderson from day one.

bellamarie

« Reply #16915 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
Tomereader1, thanks for the heads up on the Fiction, Old, New and Best Sellers, I will have to check that out.

Steph, I am with you, I can only see him as Anderson, but you know us Moms, we just love adding that special touch to our kids names.  To me it's a form of endearment. 

Well, the month of May is going to be a super busy month for me, my CCD class does the May crowning Mass, grandson's birthday party, two Confirmations, one First Communion, two graduations, Mother's Day, my 45th wedding Anniversary, throw in the grandkids sports and I am exhausted, and it's only May 3rd. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16916 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
Talk about co-incidence - reading the website, Inky Fool and there it is - the first I noticed the word cavil used in a sentence.

Incidentally, though I don't like to cavil, Murphy doesn't seem to belong here. It's from O Murchadha, a tribal name meaning the descendants of Murchadh. Murchadh was a chap and his name meant sea-warrior.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16917 on: May 04, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »
Are you ready for an uplifting story...
We start Monday coming - May 9 - discussion page will be up this weekend -
The book is online with links on the heading of the discussion page -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #16918 on: May 05, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »
OK this is how I see our discussions - I am not suggesting it is the only way but this has been the fun of discussing a book. If changes are needed we still need some direction - we have two readers who have made a list of the books they enjoyed the discussion - would a few others please share their list -

Trying to address each of you who have given input -

CallieinOK - reads for pleasure and to gain knowledge about places and historical events but do not like to "analyze" each and every page or the author's philosophy. In keeping with the 'Learn' in Senior Learn it is not the author's philosophy that is analyzed for the sake of delving into the author's thoughts and values so much as sharing in conversation our own values or at least our inquiry into how we think about the message the author is presenting in the book - To simply learn how he used various literary techniques to construct the story seems boring - really more like going back to Freshman year English Lit - noting the meter and rhyme, summarizing plot, characters etc. -

Learning about places and historical events is fun and it is an enjoyable part of reading - all the English Lit devises, which I doubt we want to analyze, are signposts as well as, character development and plot development used to solve the problems in the story which lead the reader to the message. That is the source of our discussions, what we chat about, what we can learn from each other, and with our many eyes we can see a variety of ways the author's message is part of our life - or how the message can be seen among the greater community -

To share facts about places and history and changes in socially acceptable behavior if, the story was written about an earlier time, is like reading annual corporate report or a wine menu - the corporate report comes alive when we learn the plan or reason for the company's - hate to use the word because it sounds so formal but it is true - the company's philosophy, and goal - same as with wine - it is in the taste and comparing that taste to other wines we have tasted -

An author seldom starts a Novel stating the goal or listing the philosophies included in the story where as a non-fiction book most often starts with a Preface outlining the questions being explored and the conclusion the author makes - where as with a novel not only do we have to deduce the goal or message and the values or behaviors that the author's characters act out, and the underlying idea of the story which is more than the conclusion and is left to the reader to discover. For every reader there may be a different viewpoint because each reader brings with them their experiences and the behavior they value - This is where we can and have shared a variety of views as a group sitting in a cafe would discuss an event - a story or novel is a series of events.

Just like when the news is filled with flooding during a storm - everyone shares their opinion of what those caught in the flooding should have done or they are praised because they showed behavior we understand and agree was the thing to do - and then the discussion goes from, how the developers planned the community to, how the homeowner chose their spot to build to, global warming to, a change in the land nearby that used to help retain the water to, warning systems that were inadequate to, how homeowners choose their landscaping and how they leave items in their yards that became lethal weapons when caught in the flood to, how the county needed to build a higher and stronger bridge or better roads or or or -

Out of all that we can ignore it soon after the event and when we have gotten those affected to safety and started on re-building their life or instead of ignoring it, we may become active in some aspect of all that was discussed that was far beyond; how high the water and, what houses where flooded and, when in history this happened in this area and, how folks historically took care of each other when they were flooded out and, what the local weather reporters will note as historical facts and, the photos of the event that may even make it to the local Library's archive.

The author of a novel may or may not open our eyes to a new set of questions however new or old the questions are; what people value, how their behavior affects themselves and others, the intent of including a certain character or problem and yes, the underlying ideas defined by the time in history or the place, all of which we label as philosophy, which leads to determining the author's message.

Tomereader1 - I really think you are giving yourself less credit for your contributions - you have always added much that adds to a discussion as another viewpoint - just like talking about the flooding - we all see something that happened and more, we all have an opinion of why it happened or what made it so bad - or how the damage could have been either avoided or reduced - we do not all agree - thank goodness or all the resulting aspects of the damage would not be explored - missing one, we would not think to reduce that particular problem or see how what we noticed contributed to the climax of the story.

I am hoping we are not in competition - there is no A to earn - again, we all have different life experiences - that is what makes a discussion - look at the great philosophers - some traveled and many hardly left their rooms over their entire life - and yet, they gave us greater understanding than many who saw many cultures.

Senior Learn has always been about 'learning' - which does not mean accepting, hook line and sinker the views of another - if we disagree than we need to look at the intent of literature and how an author uses literary skills to clarify our approach to understand the work. If we disagree over values then, we are not going to change each other nor is everyone in these discussions going to agree - we just go on and continue to find the author's message. 

Some authors make us work to find the message where as others include the message in the story, most often one of the characters states the message usually, a known rational for behavior we see as acceptable today. The harder bit is when we have to look at all the characters and parts of a story as analogies - and on top, like the classics, to sift through and not only see the analogies but see how they apply to our inner life because these behaviors would not be tolerated in this more civilized society - and yet, there is a huge following, readership for these classic stories today in the twenty-first century - so we cannot dismiss the work but we can decide we are not comfortable sifting through for the author's message - a different set of stories leading to similar messages or another time in history may be a preference for some of us.

As to Bellamarie your suggestion that having a set time in advance for the length of the discussion - I have to smile because Ovid was a set time - a year for what is it 15 or so books by the same author - what makes it a fun thought is we discussed years ago choosing an author and over the course of a year reading and discussing one of the author's books a month - we never did follow through until now with Ovid - so it is funny - but I think this is not a plan you enjoyed or maybe, it was not so much the plan as the material from this author. And a whole year of Ovid that you were not enjoying you had to wonder what you could read here on Senior Learn that you could discuss rather than wait for an entire year to pass...

As to making it easy to request another topic or genre - it goes down a lot better when the request is made by  complementing those who like the genre and then saying, you would prefer such and such - if a few others prefer the such and such than either a change or maybe even a second author can be discussed -

And Steph the biggie is for all of us to share the lists of those books we have discussed that you particularly enjoyed - no need for why you enjoyed them - just to get some kind of common pattern - and yes, the mystery discussion is perfect for a read that does not offer much to either discuss or to mine the story for the author's message

Again, we are digging into a story to come up with the various topics that are food for thought and the stuff of discussion as well as, in order to learn the author's values and message - It is work in a novel but made easy in non-fiction.

So please 'lists' ;) short or long just a few more lists...please...

Steph

« Reply #16919 on: May 05, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
I rarely keep lists of what I liked or did not in discussions. I can remember a few biographies that I liked.. Edna St. Vincent Millay in the old Senior net..  I tend to keep lists of authors that I like, so will join a discussion if it is a favorite author.
I think possibly that one of the Flavia books was discussed?? and the one with the Major?? also the one with the woman who discovered the trilibites in England, although that one ended up more like a travelogue, so I stopped tuning in, but I did like the book. I read a lot of biographies and they do not lend themselves to the kind of discussion that you like. I am seriously considering backing away a bit for a while..