Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049495 times)

Winchesterlady

Re: The Library
« Reply #17280 on: August 20, 2016, 09:27:28 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

PatH, I'm still reading "My Real Children" and really liking it. I've ordered "Farthing" just because I like Jo Walton's writing style. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bellamarie, I haven't read "Three Wishes," but I enjoyed "Big Little Lies" and "What Alice Forgot," which were both by Liane Moriarty.
~ Carol ~

bellamarie

« Reply #17281 on: August 21, 2016, 01:33:44 AM »
Thanks Carol, I am giving it a chance and it is starting to settle down a bit and make a little more easier read.  Keeping up with triplet sisters is a bit much with the writing style seeming manic in the first few pages.  :) 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17282 on: August 21, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
I definitely have difficulty keeping up with the characters in the current fiction that is being published. So much of it is written with each chapter being about a different character, sometimes from a completely different time period than you were reading about in the previous chapter. You almost have to take notes! It seems like more and more authors are writing in this way.
~ Carol ~

bellamarie

« Reply #17283 on: August 21, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Carol, I have noticed lately many of my books are like that as well.  Instead of chapters having titles, they have the name of a character who they switch to.  I was just talking to my Bible study friend who said she has gotten to the point she has to keep pen and paper handy to write down the names of the characters to keep track of them.  We were laughing it's our age, but in essence I do believe it's the writing style and so many different characters going back and forth.  Phew.... thought it was just me. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

CallieOK

« Reply #17284 on: August 21, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »
I agree with both of you.  Even more confusing is that so many novels are now written in the first person. Therefore, when the character switches, the only identification is through "clues" when a situation or other character is mentioned.  I don't like to think that hard when I'm reading for fun!

(I'm not even going to start on my opinion of writing in the present tense!!!!)

mabel1015j

« Reply #17285 on: August 21, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
Should we blame Barbara Kinsolving for the changing narrators every chapter? Poisonwood Bible was the first book I read that was like that and I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize  it until the third chapter.............I was very confused😫😅

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17286 on: August 21, 2016, 11:39:59 PM »
Actually you can blame Faulkner - his The Sound And The Fury, published in 1929, is about the decline of the once aristocratic Compson family. The novel is a stream-of-consciousness story from each of 4 characters, each told by a different character with his or her own way of relating events.

Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone, each character "writes" a portion of the book.

The more modern is as you say The Poisonwood Bible and around the same time Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie written from the viewpoint of various characters each going back and forth in their lifespan.

And one more that was really a tour de force in 1981 The Goldberg Variations by Nancy Huston with 30 characters
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17287 on: August 22, 2016, 01:25:12 AM »
30 characters??  Oh my heavens!  I just finished two books this past week and both were various characters, their names used for each chapter.  What was really confusing is the protagonist was a matchmaker in their small town so that brought in more couples as they were introduced from her past matchmaking.  As you can probably guess the book was "The Matchmaker" by Elin Hilderbrand. 

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17288 on: August 22, 2016, 01:34:03 AM »
Bellamarie...I think you must be a night owl like me.
~ Carol ~

bellamarie

« Reply #17289 on: August 22, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
Carol,  I have always been a night owl.  I generally fall asleep on my couch watching tv, wake up and check for messages from my daughter in laws before I go up to bed, and check around to tire my eyes again.  We had a member who lived in Australia, her name was Gumtree, and she and I were always on at the same time in the wee hours of the night for me, not for her though.  I called her my night fairy.  Sadly, she passed on.  I can't sleep more than six hours a night.  If I go to bed too soon, I am awake way too early.

Frybabe

« Reply #17290 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »
Waiting on my next to library reads: Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time and Dr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. Yes, people, neither one is a science fiction book.  :o 

bellamarie

« Reply #17291 on: August 23, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
I got the book "...And Ladies of the Club"by Helen Hooven Santmyer today from my library.  Holy moly, it is 1344 pages long.  Want to take bets on how long it will take me to complete it?  I have it checked out til Sept. 13th, I am for certain I will be renewing it at least once.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17292 on: August 24, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »
I'm back from a short trip, a "Girls Weekend Out," (with very old "girls,"), hahaha,  and so enjoying the vibe in here, the wonderful reflections on new books (or old ones) to read, bookstores,  and what you all are doing. Really a fun place to come.

I have to say, Bellamarie, going way back there, that  your finds to buy at the Library sale sound  wonderful, I made a list of at least 3 I'd like to read,  too.

Reading wise, I'm well into the Woman in Cabin 10, so far it's quite exciting. If it is "Agatha Christie like"  she might faint at the language,  but the characters make you wake up wondering what happened to them, which is a good sign. Very much enjoying it, so far. And, thanks to Winchester Lady, I got the author's first book as well, which I had never heard of.

I read ahead on Amazon in that "Look Inside" section of the Lady's Club and liked the first pages immensely so I ordered it, too.

Ella, yes, we read...did we read it as a book club? The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. What did you dislike about it? It was kind of a let down as I recall. There is a sequel  out to it, the woman's story, I believe. I often think of it, tho, the beginning. He just set out.. Just like that, he set out walking. You know it's the UK from that,  but my husband tells me there's a 93? year old man who just walked this country, all across it. Imagine. I think of Harold Fry just setting out walking to see how far he could get in one day, no more preparation than that, a lot. It's an unusual premise, I think.

And PatH, I appreciate the mention of the Nine Billion Names of God, I read that and enjoyed it so much I bought a  book of his short stories, The Collected Stories of   Arthur C. Clarke and thought there's no reason I can't read one a day (I really like him) so today it's A  Walk in the Dark. The stories are arranged chronologically and I notice a lot of them have been in magazines. 

So while the memory of those old magazines was still strong,  I got the 75th edition of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (I think it's the July edition)  for nostalgia's sake as I used to read it all the time, and it's full of great stuff, including one about a kitchen counter by one of those "fixer upper" type protagonists,  which was really something. I love being able to figure out "who dun it," tho I almost never ever do.  The next one in the book is by Nancy Pickard, I have heard of her, I think. They seem to have pulled out all the stops for this edition, very enjoyable.

Over the weekend I also  very much enjoyed a trip to an art house cinema, in Atlanta, Ga., which was a step back in time.  The lobby had wrought iron tables and chairs in which you could sit and enjoy food before or after the show and they had what appeared to be 50 choices of "craft beer," which I had never seen in a movie before (and which I am not so sure is a good idea) but apparently the clientele  enjoys the entire ambiance. The theater had those old timey lights, and the newly redone seats were right in front of each other (remember those?). But what I really appreciated was the guy with the red flashlight who came in 3 times, not once, not twice,  but 3 times to check the theater, and he really checked it, which I thought in this day and time was reassuring.

Of course there were only 7 people in the theater but still. hahahaa The movie was Absolutely Fabulous, which is in limited release in the US and nowhere near us, so I thought I had to see that one , too. You have to be a fan of the truly outrageous  old series to like it. I enjoyed it tremendously. Very clever takes on the old show which aired 25 years ago.

Speaking of movies, the trailers for "Sully," about Captain Sullenberger (sp) who had an emergency landing of his airliner  in the Hudson, look wonderful. Tom Hanks plays Captain Sullenberger, and I had no idea that he'd been asked (the trailer shows)   in some kind of hearing didn't  he had enough fuel to get to an airport and one of the engines could have...etc... I had no idea that had even been said, or he had been questioned. I am not sure why we can't have real  modern heroes in our world, people who truly are the real thing, without having to try to undercut or apply revisionist history to their every move.  But that's 2016. :)  He's my hero. I look forward to seeing it, it comes out September 9.

I have gotten nowhere with Truly Madly Guilty, I'll do it after the Woman in Cabin 10.

Still reading the Cicero book and now am in a chapter called Cicero and Caesar. I thought there were no revelations left after the Atticus chapter but I was wrong. Such people! Such lives.  It's no wonder Shakespeare had a rival say of Caesar, "why man he doth bestride the world like a Colossus."  He sure did, in a lot of fascinating ways.

Oh, August 29th issue of Time Magazine has a great article by Joel Stein on
"Why Older People Shouldn't Vote-- And Other Ideas Unpopular with My Parents."

http://time.com/4457131/why-older-people-shouldnt-vote-and-other-ideas-unpopular-with-my-parents/

What a hoot!!

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17293 on: August 24, 2016, 12:28:48 PM »
Bellamarie:  I was on summer vacation and it took me nearly the whole month of August.  The more I got to know the "ladies" the more hooked I became.  One day for some reason(perhaps because I was newly divorced, raising two sons and school was starting), I experience a anxiety attack while reading this, and I remember thinking, "God, do not take me until I finish this book."  I keep looking for another book that will consume me as this one did. 

On another note, I did order Gail Collins The Amazing Journey of American women(2011) as well as Mary Beard's Understanding Women(1931) on Jean's recommendation.  I am really loving the Collins book; it is my life.  I think I need to be very patient with the Beard book.  Thank you, Jean.

bellamarie

« Reply #17294 on: August 24, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
MKaren,  I am almost to chapter two and I have to tell you I am already enjoying the characters.  I feel like I am reading a Jane Austen book, the writing is so like her books.  If you haven't already read The Nightingale or Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, I highly recommend them.  I think you would also like The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, since you liked "...And Ladies of the Club"

Ginny, 
Oh, August 29th issue of Time Magazine has a great article by Joel Stein on "Why Older People Shouldn't Vote-- And Other Ideas Unpopular with My Parents."

Hmmm.... how could anyone think older people shouldn't vote?   ???

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17295 on: August 24, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Read it and find out? :)

Tomereader1

« Reply #17296 on: August 24, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
The article was posted on Time's category of "Humor".  So let's take it with a grain of salt!  It was fun reading though.
I hope none of our "world travelers" were in Italy where the 6.2 earthquake hit.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17297 on: August 24, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
Thank goodness in the Humor section or else it sounds like more judging others, boxing in and making assumptions about a group of people - it reads as pure age discrimination based on some personal experiences - not all older folks want to reproduce a world as it was 60 years ago. He could have written the same article and replaced older folks with woman who want a certain outcome to this election or a minority group or the LGBT community or any of a number of folks put in a category of similarities... in one way this is heartening to read - heartening because the hardest thing I think is to write humor and sarcasm - if Tomereader you had not explained it was in the humor section of the Times I would not have seen the article as humorous and so, even experienced well known journalists have a problem expressing humor. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #17298 on: August 24, 2016, 03:17:41 PM »
You are welcome Mkaren. I enjoyed reading both of those books and use them in my library presentations. When you've finished those two, if you want some other recommendations let me know.

Both of those are very readable and enjoyable, unlike some women's history authors who have written for academia rather than for a general audience. Of course, David McCullough and Doris Kearns Goodman write in a similar style about general historical events.

After having studied history for years, I so enjoy the different perspective that I get when looking at history from the women's perspective. I recently heard an academic historian say that when you study war from the women's perspective it de-romanticizes it and it was a lightbulb moment. I just thought "oh, yeah!" There's nothing romantic about being the civilian whose property is run over many times by troops from many sides, fearing for how you and your children and property are going to survive their fight for victory.

I read Ladies of the Club many, many years ago so I don't remember many details. When I read fiction I tend to enjoy it for the moment and promptly forget it. Except for series books, I almost never remember even the character's  names once I've finished the book. I tend to be a concept thinker rather than a detail thinker. Fortunately in my careers I've been surrounded by detail people and they learned that I didn't mind "suggestions" as to implimentation of the concepts that I envisioned. That's why I have loved working in groups, or being a part of book discussions. Somebody has always "seen" something in the detail that i missed.

Jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #17299 on: August 24, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
LOts of good suggestions here.  Ginny, thanks  for posting the link to JOel Stein's article on old folks voting. My Time never comes until after the weekend. A good one, needs to be read with a grain of salt. We had a social studies teacher at the high school here who firmly believed not everyone should vote.  I'll let you draw your own conclusions about who should and who shouldn't.

I've got holds for The Woman in Cabin 10 in two places -- print and ebook, and will take whichever comes first. Also waiting for Noah Hawley's  Before the Fall, another suspense mystery.  I enjoyed Liane Moriarty's Big Little LIes so much, as well as THe Husband's Secret and The Last Anniversary, and am looking forward to the other ones you have been talking about here.

My daughter recently told me she had finished and enjoyed The Life we Bury by Allen Eskens.  There were 17 holds for the ebook, but the print was available, and I was surprised I'd never heard of the author or his popular book.  Turns out it has received several awards. The author is a Minnesota lawyer.  The book is a literary mystery about a college student trying to right a wrong.

Also recently finished The Last Child by John Hart, about a 13-year-old going to the ends of the earth to find his missing twin sister.  Excellent, but very very dark.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17300 on: August 25, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »
The Life We Bury sounds really good, Pedln, thanks for the recommendation.

Those with the hardback cover of The Woman in Cabin 10  will find an extra treat, in that the cover shows a porthole on a ship with rain or water on it and  the rain or drops stand out physically from the cover. I've been like a child with it, can't resist touching it,  and the water is also replicated before each chapter on a page. A wonderfully different presentation, worth looking up in the library or a B&N.

On the Stein piece, I loved the perfect irony of it, and  how he manages to disprove  the very title of his own piece.  His father's and mother's reactions made me laugh out loud, at the contrast.  But I like irony and I like Joel Stein.

In reading I think it was the Mystery folder here I saw somebody, it could have been Marjifay, talking about Ira Levin, he of The Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby, and I realized I've never read even one of his so picked up The Stepford Wives. I've not even seen the movie so I thought, as the book looks like it can be read in an afternoon, I'd like to  see what I've been  missing.

I'm surprised to learn there are two "Mary Beards!" I only know of one and she's not old enough to have written a book in 1931. I wonder if the classicist's husband is related to the other one Jean and Karen have mentioned. A fairly (to me) unusual surname.

Don't you love these commercials for the DNA thing? Discover who you really are, your real ancestry?

"I always thought I was Italian and now I find I'm 40 percent Norwegian!" (Or something like that.)  "It has changed my life." Or the one where the woman found she was some percent American Indian and she is shown surrounded by Indian  pottery, it's given her a new interest.  And strangely enough it seems to have changed people's eating habits, etc.   "Discover your genetic ethnicity & geographic origins with DNA! Connect With Relatives.  Discover your ethnicity."

What do you think of this new trend?  Have you been or are you at all interested in finding out your ancestry by a DNA kit? 

I will say I was once told at a SeniorNet convention by a woman delegate  from Scandinavia that if she saw me on the streets of Denmark I'd fit right in.  I have no idea what that means, as I've never been to Denmark (are they, too, all fat?) hahahaa but it has intrigued me ever since.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17301 on: August 25, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »
Ginny, I love reading your posts, but I really have trouble with the lack of contrast on my display between the light green letters and the light blue background.  Is there someway I could change my display, or could you maybe use bolder print, or a darker color to make it easier to read?  I really don't mean to complain, but I hate not being able to read your posts. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17302 on: August 25, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
I'm sorry.  When we went to this new iteration  the alternating color for each post came, too, and it's played havoc with some of the Latin class headings, (with graphics which are not clear in background)  but sometimes I guess one has to take what one has (I don't like the alternating colors of posts, but a lot of people do).

I always ask the Latin students (it's much easier to tell when there's something a person  needs not to miss  to use the color) but since every year they keep saying none of them have  a problem, I'd gotten complacent about it.

So I can use the black, is this OK? (Thank you for actually reading the posts in the first place! :))   I've been off reading about Denmark. hahahaha

Tomereader1

« Reply #17303 on: August 25, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
About the DNA/Ancestry thing...I'd love to have it done, BUT, I keep wondering WHO is doing these tests, what purpose they MIGHT be using them for, and are they stored somewhere? For how long, and who else might have access to the test results.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #17304 on: August 25, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
Ginny, the Mary Beard who wrote Understanding Women was Mary Ritter Beard. She was an historian and archivist who was very much involved with the Women's Suffrage Movement .
http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/ww/beard.html

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17305 on: August 25, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
How about the DNA of words  ;)

Oxford Dictionaries is launching a global public vote to find English speakers’ least favourite word, with strong early showings for ‘moist’ and ‘hello’

Wednesday 24 August 2016 19.01 EDT

“Moist” has emerged as an early contender for the least popular word in the English language, as Oxford Dictionaries launches a global search to find the least favourite English word.

Kicking off what it hopes will be the largest global survey into people’s language gripes, the dictionary publisher is inviting English speakers around the world to answer a range of language-related questions under the #OneWordMap initiative, starting with the quest to find the least popular English word.

Oxford Dictionaries is hoping that tens of thousands of people will contribute, enabling it to put together a list of the least popular words by country, age, and gender, and revealing similarities and differences around the world.
Read more

“There are a few likely suspects we’re expecting to see. ‘Moist’ seems to be a word that people instinctively draw for, and it’s already proven to be a popular response in some internal polls we’ve done,” said Oxford University Press’s Daniel Braddock.

More than 8,000 people have already submitted words to the poll, with differences beginning to emerge between countries. In the UK, “moist” tops the list, followed by “no”, “hate”, “like” and “can’t”. Moist is also top of the list in the US and Australia.

In the Netherlands, by contrast, “war” and “love” both make appearances in the list of the top five least popular words, while in Spain, “hello” is a surprising No 1. Just one submission, so far, has been made in Gibraltar: “yellow”. In New Zealand, the first response was “phlegm”.

“We’re really not sure what words people will choose,” said Braddock, “but our expectation is that they will be fuelled by a multitude of reasons. ‘Cancer’, for example, has affected most people in the world, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that make an appearance. And there’s a huge amount of commentary in the political field at the moment, so there’s a chance we might see some submissions related to politics.”

Braddock said this was the first time Oxford Dictionaries had attempted to trace the world’s most disliked English words. “This isn’t something we’ve ever done before but we’re really pleased to finally have it in place. We’re constantly trying to find ways of getting people interested in words and language, and we’re hoping that this will contribute to people’s enthusiasm for the subject,” he said. “It’s hard to say how much response we’ll get, but we’re hoping for somewhere in the region of 30,000. I’m just hoping people find it interesting enough to share it, which will help contribute to the numbers.”

And so what is your least favorite word?

I know mine is the use and over use of F_ _ k --- hate it, wish the word did not exist - thank goodness do not have to contend with the word in Literature - but it does pop up in modern novels grrrr.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17306 on: August 25, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »
Those are very real concerns, Tomereader.  I don't think there are many safeguards in place, plus not all the labs are of equal competence.  It would be fun to know, though.  I have a pretty good notion of my ancestry, but of course that assumes that all the way back, everyone was fathered by the person of record.  And people of European ancestry tend to have a few percent of Neanderthal genes too, which would be amusing to know.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17307 on: August 25, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
Moist is a weird choice for least favorite, even in a country with lots of rain.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17308 on: August 25, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
Thanks, Ginny - I hope it's not an imposition.  The black typeface is much easier to read - at least for me.  8^)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #17309 on: August 25, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
Ginny, thank you!  The black text is so much easier on the eyes.

Moist being the least favorite word so far?  My least favorite word is racist.  It is way overused in today's society causing so much divide and hate.

Tomreader,  That would be interesting to know what they do with the DNA once collected.  I suspect it is recorded and put into a data bank for any future use, but the actual specimen unless the person requests it to be destroyed it seems it is saved.  No one has access to it without a court order.  Now as far as protocal being effectively and legally followed I suppose we have to like any other area have a bit of trust and faith in the system that holds all of our medical records.  Here is a very interesting article.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/genetics/documents/what%20happens%20in%20a%20genetics%20laboratory.pdf

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17310 on: August 25, 2016, 04:18:44 PM »
Fabulous, I am so glad!

TONIGHT!

"I Miss Downton Abbey

Revisit your favorite moments and never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage from the British series that took America by storm! Watch Thursday, August 25 at 9:00 p.m. on ETV; Friday, August 26 at 3:00 a.m. on ETV; Sunday, August 28 at 9:00 p.m. on ETV; 10:00 p.m. on ETVW. Watch preview. "

This is for SC but I'm sure your local channels will have this program!

On the DNA thing, I thought the same thing, Tome, but I wondered what would keep them from adding stuff to make your DNA interesting?

I read on the BBC this summer that they think ALL blue eyed persons came from the same ancestor (or something like that). I thought blue eyes were recessive, shows you what I know.

bellamarie

« Reply #17311 on: August 26, 2016, 11:06:14 AM »
I miss Downton Abbey too.  I loved that show, it was like reading a Jane Austen novel each week, only seeing it come to life on tv.  I am truly enjoying "...And Ladies of the Club."  I am glad it is a huge book, because I can already tell it's going to be one you won't want to end.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17312 on: August 26, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Ginny - Frybabe is right about putting RITTER in any search for Mary Beard.

I think Beard is a pretty common English-related name. I have known at least 3 families of Beards in Pa and NJ.

Our dgt would like to get her DNA analyzed since she is sure to have Scotch-Irish, some location in Africa and probably some Native American. I have little interest in having mine done since I know our family history in America - 3 Scotch Irish Presbyterians came to south central Pa in 1730s, now it might be interesting to know what happened before that - Vikings? Gauls? Who knows. However, we did have our dog tested.😛😛😛😛 we got her from the shelter, as we have all our dogs. She was labeled "boxer", but we were pretty sure there was terrier and maybe some other mix. We were right boxer/terrier which makes her a very goid-looking dog.

I also had a strange experience with a doctor who gave me steroid shots. A few months after I had the shots we got a notice from our insurance company saying they were not paying a lab in NC  for a "genetics test". i knew nothing about a genetics test, no doc had mentioned it to me. Our insurance company was very helpful in finding out that it was the doc of the steroid shots and they put me in touch with the lab. They said "Docs use the test to determine how much meds to give." I said, " oh, no, they couldn't get away with that. Two other docs from that office had already given me 3 shots and the only time I saw this guy was  five mins before i went into the o r." When I called the doctor's office to say I had not been talked to about having such a test, so obviously had not approved it, the office mgr said "oh, yeah, just bring the bill to us don't worry about it." When I took it in she had the audacity to say "see I have a whole file of these to deal with." There was a file about 2inches thick on her desk and she seemed to have no guilt about their having tried to con all those people. Obviously I never went back to them.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17313 on: August 26, 2016, 04:01:02 PM »
They're not just conning people, that's a serious breach of medical ethics, and if you wanted to waste a lot of time, you could get them into trouble for it. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17314 on: August 26, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
Gosh, I should think so. Horrors.

I just heard on the radio a new one for DNA which (it was the CNN show so it must be advertised on there too) you do at home yourself. Can't recall the name of it.

Jean, if I wanted the Mary Ritter Beard from 1931,  I would now know to enter the "Ritter,"  thanks.  If, however, I  wanted the current Mary Beard, the Cambridge Don who writes the books on Roman History,  and makes all the movies and BBC presentations  like the Secrets of Pompeii and the BBC series on Rome,  I would just enter Mary Beard. I just read back thru the last 5 entries  of her column for the Times Literary Supplement  today called A Don's Life. She's a hoot and a  woman for today, herself, defying the odds and succeeding in a man's world without too many precedents or examples  in her field.

bellamarie

« Reply #17315 on: August 26, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
Jean,
When I took it in she had the audacity to say "see I have a whole file of these to deal with." There was a file about 2 inches thick on her desk and she seemed to have no guilt about their having tried to con all those people.

This is not only unethical, it is also illegal and fraud, because they are using these to bill patients, not to mention they could be getting a kickback from the lab.  I had a sister who was working for a doctor's office who was doing something similar to this, billing medicare and the patients for what medicare did not cover, and the doctor lost his practice. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #17316 on: August 27, 2016, 12:25:49 AM »
Maryz - this is for you about how Tenn became the last state to ratify the suffrage amandment, you may already know the story. The rest of you can have a gander also.........

http://werehistory.org/womens-equality-day/

Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17317 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Thanks, Jean - I've known the story for quite a while.  Something Tennessee women take pride in!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17318 on: August 27, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
I see the USA Today APP today is showing an article today  on  Alice Paul the Forgotten Suffragette,  for those interested. It must be in their in print newspaper, also.

In other news, I need to take a little video with my iphone of my ipad (to demonstrate an app game) and I need to figure out something clever and cheap to fix  the iphone  on a stationary surface  or something so it can hold  still while filming. I don't think the swoops and darts here and there that my holding it with my left hand show on the test film hahahaa  would add anything but comic relief. I like to laugh but I'd like the thing to hold still, does anybody have any ideas?

bellamarie

« Reply #17319 on: August 27, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
Ginny, how about getting a selfie stick?  You place your iphone in it, they extend quite long and you could prop it up to be stationary.  I just bought one at Kirkland's for $6.00.  Good luck!