Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049432 times)

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
Re: The Library
« Reply #17360 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Thank you Ginny.  The Victorian Period is strictly defined as the time of Victoria's reign, from her ascension to the throne in 1837 to her death in 1901, but most would consider Jane Austen part of those early Victorian writers.  Trollope is a late Victorian.  HGWells's work is transitional from the Victorians to modern literature.  The early and mid Victorians literature is influenced by the Romantics and toward the end of the period more earthy and realistic influences creep in.  Anyway, I imagine Victorian scholars might quarrel with time frame or the writers  I included in my summer reading in 1996 because there are so many options to consider, and I was concentrating on showing how we can learn much about history from the literature written in the period and gain a greater understanding of the literature by knowing about the events that were influencing the authors,essayists and poets go the time.  Part of the reason that I never finished my masters was that I couldn't find a member of the history department who would accept that would serve on my committee.  There were other reasons such well including mothering, teaching full time and distance of the commute that discouraged me, but none of that dampened my enthusiasm for my own study of Victorian Period.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17361 on: September 05, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »
That sounds like a heroic marathon, Dana.  Trollope wrote a huge number of books.  But you've given me an idea.  I read The Warden and Barchester Towers some years ago, and liked them--don't know why I didn't go on with more.  There's a bunch of books to add to my TBR list.  Of course I really needed that. ;)

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17362 on: September 05, 2016, 12:28:23 PM »
I only read the two sets of chronicles--Barchester and Pallisers, don't know what else he wrote.  It amazes me how much people used to write.  I recently read a biography of Napoleon which was  written after the release of his 33,000 odd letters back in 2004.  Can you imagine writing 33,000 letters....and them being preserved....what about the ones that weren't?!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17363 on: September 05, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
Love The Barchester Chronicles - the humor has me laughing outloud and then the wisdom - wow - and loved the series with Alan Rickman and the character played by Nigel Hawthorne is such a hoot - fun-fun-fun... have not read the Pallisers - so many good books that like all of you I sure wish I had the setup that Karen describes of a reading porch with a swimming hole nearby.

It is so quiet today it's as if we had turned the calendar back 40 years - I bet everyone is home recuperating after the excitement of last night's game - what a thrilling win.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17364 on: September 05, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
Alan Rickman would be great for Trollope's books.  Of course, I'd watch him play anything; I'm a real fan.  Too bad we lost him.

Frybabe

« Reply #17365 on: September 05, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
Just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. What a fun read, not funny hah-hah, just fun to read. I particularly like it because it is a mystery which involves typography and decrypting a 500 year old code. The characters are likeable.

Now I am going to go back to reading a SciFi, the third of Lucas Bale's Beyond the Wall trilogy. But before that, I must cruise my library wishlist to see what I want to order next. Oh, but I have Odd Thomas to read too.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17366 on: September 05, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
Just finished The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules: A Novel by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg- so much fun - love these outlandish stories about folks who are in their 80s or more - this one is about a group of 5 who live in a retirement home that was sold and the new owners each month cut more amenities, till looking at a TV documentary of what prisons offer they decide going to prison would be better - the hilarity that goes on - the one gal is an avid crime mystery reader and they each have their skills - of course it takes the police forever if they ever do consider them as culprits because of their age -

3 use zimmer frames that come in useful - the one gal gets everyone to exercise so in less than 3 months they are capable of walking without their zimmer frames but continue to use them as a disguise. Yes, for awhile they do end up in jail - the worst is they are separated but they all adapt quite well and learn from the other criminals - they end up returning everything they steal including two paintings from a museum a Renior and I forget the other - they steel millions in cash from a drug cartel they learn about in jail - on and on -

Those who have children, the adult children instead of being horrified cannot believe the spunk they show - in the end they leave Sweden for the West Indies using some of the loot from the drug cartel - along the way they make better the lives of several who unwittingly are caught in their shenanigans. 

I got started on this genre when I read the 100 year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared laughed outloud so hard and they made a movie that is pretty good but for some reason not near as funny.

I've just ordered to continue this fun - The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17367 on: September 06, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules looks cute, Barbara. I've seen it in the stores and hesitated, but that looks like one of those Corrine Holt Sawyer fun things about entrepreneurial 80+ year olds. I'm glad to know somebody who has read it. I love those types of plots.

Karen, that's fascinating. I can see some "conventions," if they could be called that, creeping into the narrative, and I was wondering about them. Am really loving the book, tho I have to say trying to read it before going to sleep is like lifting weights, no joke, it's one of those Barnes and Noble Classic editions, in paperback and it's humble looking but HUGE. But I love the notes. They'll put some on the bottom of the page, I guess they are "Victorianisms?" and then in the Endnotes in the back they explain the references. I've gotten to where if I don't need the EndNote references immediately, once I finish the chapter I read them all then.

Here's an example of one for Krook's rag and bone shop. (Those rag and bone men have always fascinated me. Kirk Douglas's father was one) and I never really understood what they were.

Note for" Krook, Rag and Bottle WareHouse: According to Dickens's eldest son, Charley, Krook's establishment was based on a house located in Chichester Rents, off Chancery Lane. The bones Krook buys and sells...were from scraps of leftover food as well as livestock, bought for small sums, they were resold to soap makers."

Under blacking bottles, this fabulous information:

"blacking bottles: In 1824, when Dickens was twelve and his parents were in financial straits, he qas sent to work in Warren's Blacking Factory, where he pasted sables onto jars of blacking (used as boot polish). The traumatic episode figures prominently in Dickens's Autobiographical Fragment which he began and then abandoned in the 1840's. Later, he revisited it in Chapter 11 of David Copperfield. As he does here, he also dropped allusions to the episode   elsewhere in his works-- in chapter 27 of Great Expectations, for example. However, until  Dickens's close friend John Forster published the Autobiographical Fragment in his posthumous biography of Dickens, the episode was not publicly known. Since then, it has been widely addressed by critics  and biographers."

Now I would not have known any of that and I found it fascinating. I remember the Rag and Bone Men from Philadelphia where I grew up and I never understood their function and I didn't after reading Kirk Douglas's autobiography but I do now.  It's a feast, it really is.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17368 on: September 06, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
I have that book, Frybabe, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'll dig it out. Glad to know somebody who has read it.

The cast that  you show, Dana, for The Barchester Chronicles made me order it from Netflix. I agree, PatH, I love Alan Rickman in anything, but seeing Nigel Hawthorne's name made it my next watch. I love anything he's in.

Looks like my next film/ book  project will need to be The Barchester Chronicles. :) And I THINK that PBS is coming out with a new Masterpiece Theater thing on it, but it might be another one. At any rate I've had that book  so long it cracks when it's opened,  and have never, despite many tries, been able to get into it, but I'm really getting INTO this movie/ book thing. The movies really help me  over that first unfamiliar mountain of expression.

But, at least in the case of Bleak House, the book is 1000 times the movie,  and I don't say that lightly.   Charles Dance,  Charles Dance, Charles Dance!  I am enjoying picking out the differences as the movie is lauded as the best adaptation of the book. It really shows you the art in each. Ars Gratia Artis as MGM likes to put in their logo.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17369 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
Back when we were young the bones were still used to make buttons of all sizes and toggles on jackets and rags were also sent to the paper mill since art paper used for watercolors is made from cloth, the best is made from linen.

bellamarie

« Reply #17370 on: September 06, 2016, 05:22:03 PM »
Is there going to be a pre-discussion set for the new book we will begin soon? 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17371 on: September 11, 2016, 01:02:27 AM »

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17372 on: September 11, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
MKaren, when we started the Shakespeare sonnet discussion, you mentioned that you had had to write an essay on the sonnet with "bare ruined choirs" in it.  That's today's sonnet.  Care to come in and tell us what you know?  Or, of course, what you didn't know when you were a teenager.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17373 on: September 12, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »
Ginny, knowing how much you like the Great British Bake Off, I thought you would be interested in this article I just saw on Facebook.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37344292

I hope we will still be able to see future seasons in the U.S.
~ Carol ~

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17374 on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:13 PM »
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17375 on: September 13, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
Thank you  Winchester Lady!  When you put the first link I ran and read what I could see on it, and I am not sure what's going on. Now with the second link and the two presenters leaving the show, I am doubly confused

Here in the US if CBS did not pick up a show, somebody else might and you could still see it on a different channel. Happens all the time.

Apparently in the UK that's not what's on?

Here's what I am making of it:

The BBC did not want to pay what Love Productions wanted this year so they cancelled the show and Channel 4 (whatever that is) picked it up.

Mel and Sue did not want to go to Channel 4 (why not?) and so they quit. I do think the show could exist without them.

Paul and Mary are not saying. Paul says he likes the BBC. If the show is not on the BBC what will he do then?

The BBC was all over their Television  Awards show with a lot of actors speaking out against them.

I have no idea what all the fuss is about.  Looks like, however, the show may split up?

What do you get out of it?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17376 on: September 13, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »
This article from Wales is a lovely explanation of why the success of the show -  nostalgia for an earlier time when we all baked for the church suppers and that Mary is the only 70 year old that dresses stylishly and says intelligent and witty things breaking the mold used for presenting an older woman... Also there is no risk of personal awfulnesses taking over the conversation while folks are baking.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/the-company-make-great-british-11882470

then this one only out today talks about why the two, Mel and Sue quit - not fired but quit - and the show will not be scheduled till 2018 - another article I read said there was a clause that said if it was stopped for any reason it could not resume for 2 years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new-series-great-british-bake-8828242#rlabs=3%20rt$category%20p$1

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17377 on: September 13, 2016, 06:09:06 PM »
Mary Berry is 81. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17378 on: September 13, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
Nice - maybe there is hope for all of us yet... Now coming face to face with her age that I had no idea she was in her 80s but to the point - no one treats her in a condescending way - no one on that show - no one... amazing...

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17379 on: September 13, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
Ginny, Like you I'm not sure what all this means. After reading several articles, it seems like BBC fans do not think very highly of commercialized Channel 4 (at least that's what's being said; I know nothing about Channel 4). I've even read one article saying that all four hosts might start their own similar type show, but that is probably wishful thinking. This really has everyone in an uproar for sure! It's a very popular show!
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17380 on: September 14, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »
Winchester Lady, it is all OVER the BBC APP this morning!   There's something about the BBC that is eluding me.  Lots of exhortations at the BAFTA British Oscars to the BBC. All of that is passing over my head. This morning on the BBC app it's everywhere, everywhere. I had no idea it was so popular, I knew it was #1 there for the last two years but not this amount of furor. This man supports the BBC against the venial Love Productions and shames them for wanting such an exorbitant raise. That man condemns the BBC for not paying it apparently. Everybody is in an uproar, it seems.

One thing I did see before I went to England  this spring  was something about a complaint that the BBC was slipping in that the afternoons offered only those "tiresome antique shows". Or something like that. I have to confess that I absolutely love the one where the two guys travel around, buy stuff, and then watch it auctioned off  and compete with each other. They are so charmingly effete, and I love the background bits of this or that village or this or that grand home.  Will never forget the one with Lord Whoever and his shed with the Roman statuary just thrown about like an old plow. I LOVE that show, just love it,  and now PBS, the new specialty station here, the innovative one? It's just come on, but it is offering those very shows,  once a week, it's not the two guys I like (naturally,  it's old) but it's still great fun. Our Antiques Road show spin offs are not as good and not the same thing, tho some of them try.

I don't really get the BBC thing, apparently, however, it's more than a channel to those in the UK. WHAT it is, I have no clue. Is it a kind of PBS?

bellamarie

« Reply #17381 on: September 14, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »
I just learned today this very bright woman author Anna Dewdney, recently died from brain cancer.  So sad, I bought her Llam Llam books and read them to my daycare children and grandchildren.  We had so much fun reading her books.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/anna-dewdney-creator-of-llama-llama-series-for-young-readers-dies-at-50/2016/09/07/d5c32794-7467-11e6-b786-19d0cb1ed06c_story.html
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17382 on: September 14, 2016, 12:34:59 PM »
Ginny, I don't really understand it myself. I follow a large number of British book blogs and many of them write very highly of the BBC and the programs they put on. They are publicly funded and do not have commercials. They just seem to continuously air great programs. Even their radio stations have a great following. Our PBS stations are like them, but don't seem to have the same following over here. I believe now that their big problem is money. Since they are publicly funded, they don't have the big bucks that the commercial channels have.
~ Carol ~

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17383 on: September 14, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
The BBC used to have lots of money because everyone had to have a license to have a radio or TV and the licence paid for the service.  Their programs used to be very lavish productions and they didn't have to worry about pandering to the lowest common denominator because they were not dependent on ratings.  BUT....that was long ago and I don't live there anymore.....they were the initial and only service available and took themselves very seriously as having a duty to educate the public.  I remember when ITV came along in the 60s I think, or late 50s and how much debate there was about standards falling.
I guess they don't have the money any more.  No idea if one still needs a license.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17384 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »
And so too 'was' PBS till they too had to succumb to corporate financing rather than a publicly funded operation. it is why the NewsHour is as subject to the whims of corporate media as the other major news organizations on TV - here is the PBS page that includes how to go after corporate sponsorship -
http://www.pbs.org/development/2016/07/19/pmdmc-corporate-support-track-overview/ 

bellamarie

« Reply #17385 on: September 16, 2016, 02:09:32 PM »
Just finished reading the book Two Old Women by Velma Wallis.  We were to begin it in Sept. so I had my library get it for me.  It seriously only took a few hours to read it.  I very poignant story.  I think it is rescheduled to be discussed in November. 

I am still reading And the Ladies of the Club, it is very slow, not as interesting as I had hoped for, and since it is over a 1,000 pages I can't imagine myself finishing it unless the story picks up some. 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17386 on: September 16, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »
Bellamarie - I've just finished Ladies of the Club - and I wonder whether or not we were reading the same book.  I don't think mine was nearly 1000 pages (although I read it as an e-book) - and did not find it deep or plodding at all.  I've gotten to be a VERY slow reader, and this one didn't take all that long for me. The one I read was by Marilyn Celeste Morris.  Same one?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #17387 on: September 16, 2016, 04:34:38 PM »
Helen Hooven Santamyer is the author of And Ladies of the Club, which is indeed 1,000 pages, but to me,not boring. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

bellamarie

« Reply #17388 on: September 16, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
maryz,  No it is not the same book.  My book title is:  "...And Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer, it is 1344 pages long and a very slow read.  It begins in 1868 with the women in Waynesboro Ohio starting a woman's book club, but the story deals more about the political arena, the abolitionist, negroes being allowed to vote, etc.  The last chapter which I feel I shall never get to is 1930 - 1932.  Oh heavens don't tell me I am reading a different book than the one everyone else has been talking about in here.  I just looked at your book on Amazon and yours sounds much more interesting than mine.

Tomreader1, I would not say this is boring, but it is a very slow read, with descriptions of a house taking up two pages, and then a page describing what each lady is wearing and how their hair is.  Phew.... each time they get together for the club meet this can be exhausting to read.  I like learning about their political attitudes and the changes they hope for, but wow I find myself drifting off to sleep when I read it.  It lacks conversation between the characters, and with so many characters you tend to forget who is who and who is married to who.  I am on page 169 which at this rate I could still be reading it at Christmas. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17389 on: September 16, 2016, 06:15:26 PM »
Cheer up, Bellamarie, if you ever want to time-travel to the post-civil war US, you'll know how to do your hair. ;)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17390 on: September 16, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
Bellamarie - how funny!  Since you looked it up, you know what "my" book is about.  Glad we weren't both nuts.  LOL Yours sounds interesting, too, but probably not one I'd read. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17391 on: September 16, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
Just finished reading the book Two Old Women by Velma Wallis.  We were to begin it in Sept. so I had my library get it for me.  It seriously only took a few hours to read it.  I very poignant story.  I think it is rescheduled to be discussed in November. 
Yes.  Two Old Women was supposed to be in Sept., overlapping with the ongoing Shakespeare sonnets, but we had to do some rearranging because of the DLs schedules.  It's now in November, which is good, because it's a short book, and people will be busy with Thanksgiving.

Currently, we're continuing the sonnets, and starting Oct. 1, we'll be discussing The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  The cells from the cancer that killed her lived on to help find treatments for diseases and produce scientific breakthroughs, and this is her story, and that of her family, and what happened to her cells.  It's a really good read.  The prediscussion is here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=4978.0

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17392 on: September 18, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
Dana, thank you for that. I did not understand the BBC was a state sponsored entity. I mean we have ABC here, American Broadcasting Company, and it's not government run.  So we don't see the Kardashians on our own PBS nor do we hear of their doings on our NPR,  so I can see that the  BBC  might be concerned with things I did not realize.

Interesting, I've enjoyed this conversation.

I am behind in my fun recreational reading. I actually MISS Bleak House, the characters. I wonder why it IS that I can see people I know in those characters written so long ago. Am taking heart in the fact this is the way people had to read it when it first came out in installments..they had to wait. So that's kind of fun too.

I'm reading a lot of other things, Tom Holland's Rubicon, waiting for the sneering at American government (and possibly America) that I have been told is coming, I don't see it yet, and he really writes quite well. It's like a novel. I've just started Adrian Goldsworthy's new Pax Romana, which is brilliantly written and more conversational in tone than his earlier books.

Last night while sitting idly at the computer trying to kill time and not wanting something I had to concentrate on,  I picked up an Agatha Raisin I had not read, Something Borrowed, Someone Dead, in paperback. I used to love MC Beaton, never missed a new issue, have them all in hardback, but I've missed several now, so this one is a nice trip back.

It seems more sketchily written than I recall the others being,  which is odd, it looks like notes for an outline for a book, but it's still  nice light reading, and I'm still enjoying it.  I see her Quiche of Death has been made into a film. For TV? Billed as a comedy. Interesting.  Her detective business which was just taking off when I left her is a full fledged operation now. I see I need to go back and watch that developing.

So the leaves are starting to fall here. And the light has shifted. FALL must finally be coming tho it was in the 90's yesterday. I love Fall.

My TBR piles are getting ridiculous. They tower. They spill out of shelves and every available space.   What IS it about an unread book that holds so much promise? Better than contemplating a good dinner, to me, is a good read.

What's on YOUR TBR pile or what are you currently enjoying (or not?)

Frybabe

« Reply #17393 on: September 18, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »
Ginny, I ran across Cathy O'Neil being interviewed on a PBS program last week. She wrote Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK87rN4xpqA I snagged the only copy from the library as soon as they processed it. Very interesting reading and mostly written so that non-technical and those of us who are not math nerds can understand. She writes about the "dark side" of big data and how damaging computerized algorithms can be to many unsuspecting souls. Think computerized job application filters, teacher evaluations, whether you get a loan or not and at a good rate, computerized stock market predictions and how hedge funds use them, think Google and Amazon and all those other companies that use these programs to predict trends, what you are likely to be interested in buying, even if you are just browsing or serious about buying (apparently they can tell or try to and use it to shunt you off onto different kinds of info accordingly).
 Her blog: https://mathbabe.org/

Right underneath that book is the other one I brought home from the library. The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman.

I'm in the middle of a SciFi that I forgot I had read, but am rereading it anyway (I forgot how it ended). Odd Thomas I will have to start over; I was only four pages in when I had to switch gears. Now that I have my very own copy of Matthew Pearl's The Poe Shadow I will be able to take my time with it. Of course, my TBR pile has grown what with the new Roman history additions this last month.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17394 on: September 18, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
A friend and her dgt just started a mother/dgt book group and invited my dgt and I to join. We've had one meeting when we talked about Traveling with Pomagranates by Sue and Ann Kidd - a mother and dgt. Our group next month is The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. Have any of you read it? I seem to recall it being mentioned on SeniorLearn somewhere.

I've been reading a lot of women's history for the six presentations I'm giving at the library. America's Women by the NYTs Gail Collins is a new easy-to-read survey of American history from the women's view. The History of Women in America is my favorite survey book. Again easy reading, but factual and informative. It's in paperback and may be $.01 plus 4.99 shipping on Amazon. When and Where I Enter by Paula Giddings is how Black women impacted race and sex inAmerican history, also in paperback.

I'm focusing more on the conceptual history in this series. The one I did in the spring was more about individual women - social reformers, scientists and inventors, NJ women. This one is more about what was happening for women in general during different periods in American history. I'm having as much fun researching as I am giving the actual presentation. Since this has been an avocation of mine for 4 decades, I have a lot of info, but new facts are being written about all the time. There is so much new research that I have the wonderful problem of figuring out what to sift thru and what to put in and what to LEAVE OUT.

The things I can find on the web for my powerpoint show are amazing. There are pictures, or representations of almost any individual I want to show. In the spring, I discovered that a woman was responsible for Knox gelatin. She and her husband were producing gel and she decided to market it by writing a cookbook of how it could be used in cooking, in the 1890s. I found a picture of THAT book online! Can you imagine? Do you remember tomato aspic??? :) :) Lime jello desserts of the 40s and 50s?

Last week's meeting was on Weds Sept 14, Margaret Sanger's birthday. I highlighted that women in the colonial period averaged 7-10 pregnancies, 5-7 live births. One of five women died in childbirth.  But many had MANY MORE than 5-7. Ann Hutchinson had 12 children, Ben Franklin's mother had 10, Betsy Ross was one of 17. Margaret Sanger's own mother Ann Hggins, went thru 18 pregnancies, w/ 11 live births, in 22 yrs bfore dying at the age of 49 of consumption & sheer exhaustion.  That was part of Margaret's motivation for bringing birth control info to women. I said I thought we should all be celebrating Sanger's birthday for bringing us all birth control info, but especially getting us a birth control pill.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17395 on: September 18, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
Oh my - I should be doing so many things but instead I have about 6 books going - in different rooms -

Just came yesterday and wish I could just go for it without stopping today - The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party

Then on the table next to the chair where I watch TV are - By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission and Julian Fellowes's Belgravia and An Apple A Day: 365 Recipes with Creative Crafts, Fun Facts, and 12 Recipes from Celebrity Chefs Inside! Keep thinking I will do an apple a day but at least I get an apple recipe about twice a week - just did an apple chicken pot that was great and now I have chicken frozen in 5 packages, each ready to be heated. Which by the way if you are into what you eat - the Gala apple has joined the Granny Smith as both from Monsanto seed and GMO apples - unless you know the orchard grower, choose another apple - of course those two are the least expensive in the market - now you know why.

Then on the big table in the kitchen area is piled, Tower of Basel: The Shadowy History of the Secret Bank that Runs the World I need to get a copy of the one that explains better the World Bank and the IMF. I also want to read but do not have, Web of Debt: The Shocking Truth about Our Money System and How We Can Break Free

However, on that pile is a light read The Blood of an Englishman: An Agatha Raisin Mystery from the series of this outrageous middle age retired marketing director turned snoop, living as if she knows how to do 'village life' in the Cotswolds and The Illuminations: A Novel not as light, a photographer and her grandson uncover family secrets in Scotland after he returns from Afghanistan rather broken, only just started it... and then a fun read, Christmas at High Rising by Thirkell - I love her novels - filled with typical 20s characters and I love how they chatter with a note of irony or none plus humor in every sentence, oh and the vocabulary - such fun I smile the entire time I read her work - this one is a series of short stories... fun fun fun.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17396 on: September 18, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
Hi all, and apologies for coming so late to the party...

Re the BBC and the Bake Off - we certainly do have to fork out for a licence every year, I believe it's about £160 at the moment and they are very strict about it. It only covers the BBC channels, all the others are funded by advertising.

From what I can understand, the GBBO's production company wanted more money than the BBC could or would pay, so Channel 4 leapt in and paid a fortune for it. Mel & Sue promptly said they would not stay, as they wish to be loyal to the BBC. It seems that Paul Hollywood is prepared to follow the money (no surprises there), but Mary Berry isn't prepared to go without Mel & Sue. None of the presenters were told about the negotiations - they only found out a few days before we did.

We are currently up to programme 3 in the latest series. I feel it may be the last - I wonder if Channel 4's lawyers made sure that the sale contract included clauses to allow them to get out of it if the presenters refused to co-operate?

The BBC has received a great deal of criticism about all sorts of things in recent years. I won't go into all the details here, but I would certainly say that, from my point of view, its coverage of the Scottish Independence Referendum two years ago was far from balanced and very pro the Westminster government. However, it still has masses of support, probably particularly among older people, who are devoted to it. Although it does have some good programmes, we also enjoy the output of Channel 4 and ITV on occasions. The thing I treasure most is (BBC) Radio 4 - I would really miss that if it ever went, which seems highly unlikely.

Last night daughter and I watched a very interesting programme about Shirley Hughes, the children's illustrator and author (Dogger, Alfie and Annie Rose, etc) - she is now 89, still lives alone and is still producing Alfie books. She is also doing another series, this time with her illustrator daughter Clara Vulliamy. Shirley lives in Notting Hill - she moved there in 1956 when it was cheap and run down - now, as you may well know, it's hugely fashionable and expensive. She loves it and still goes down to the market to buy her groceries.

I am currently reading the last one of the Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard; I would recommend the whole series (4 books) to anyone who enjoys reading about life (or should that be, upper middle class life?) in Britain between the wars - it has a whole cast of characters, most of whom were based on Howard's own family, and you become so involved with their lives that you don't want the books to end.

Last weekend I was at the Islay Jazz festival - Islay is one of the southernmost islands of the Inner Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland. It was a wonderful experience - listening to amazing musicians in places as diverse as a Gaelic college surrounded on three sides by water, a whisky distillery and a remote village hall.

Best wishes to all,

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #17397 on: September 18, 2016, 10:14:43 PM »
Jean, in your readings about women's history have you come across a recent title -- Hidden Figures by Margot Shetterly?  I've seen a few references to it, but don't know much other than it is about African-American WOMEN mathematicians.  The author had a few comments in NYT's book section over the weekend. Her father worked for NASA and most of her family was involved in some phase of science.  In fact,  she grew up thinking that all African-Americans worked in science.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17398 on: September 18, 2016, 11:25:54 PM »
Pedin - I have heard about the book and those women. I haven't read it, but I've seen reviews of it. I will read it when I've finished this series in the first week of Nov. thanks for reminding me. It goes on my tbr list.

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #17399 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Jean, 
I said I thought we should all be celebrating Sanger's birthday for bringing us all birth control info, but especially getting us a birth control pill.

No disrespect intended, I will never celebrate this woman because her form of birth control was to kill the innocent unborn baby by beginning Planned Parenthood.  She believed in eugenics and was not quiet about it.  She had a personal agenda for controlling population and it was not to make this country better.  Who is she to think her ideology gave her the right to say there should be two children per family.  Sounds a bit like a communist thinker to me. 

Quotes by Margaret Sanger that are deplorable to me as a Catholic christian, and should be to any woman/ human being:

http://www.lifenews.com/2013/03/11/10-eye-opening-quotes-from-planned-parenthood-founder-margaret-sanger/

http://www.dianedew.com/sanger.htm
On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12
On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people

I hope in your presentation you brought these attitudes of Sanger to light as well as the fact she brought info of birth control.  I'll stop here because as a Pro life volunteer for an organization who gives pregnant women ALL information to help them make intelligent and informed decisions about abortion, adoption and keeping their baby, I detest Planned Parenthood and the founder Margaret Sanger. Our Pro life organization educates women, we give them support and teach them to be independent, strong, educated, loving, caring mothers should they choose to keep their baby. We honor and respect ALL races, ethnics, and religious or non religious women. Our organization Heartbeat of Toledo has expanded and we now have a  mobile bus that makes it possible for us to go into the poverty, black neighborhoods and give them free pregnancy test, sonograms, educate them, and show them their alternatives to abortion.  I enjoy volunteering, being a part of this Pro life program, since this has been my advocacy for over 3 decades.

http://www.heartbeatoftoledo.org/index.html

As for what I am presently reading......  still plugging through ".....And the Ladies of the Club"