Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049415 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #17400 on: September 19, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Rosemary, it's so good to hear from you.  We have channels here that have constant disputes with the major servers such as Direct TV, Buckeye Cable and Time Warner.  If they can not come to a resolution our channel is taken from us.  Luckily, we have learned to deal with it and for our local stations we can go off air and use a rabbit ear antenna to pick up the station.  We currently are using Direct TV and if it storms it knocks out our service so we simply change to the rabbit ears for local viewing.  I've learned to not get too attached to any series anymore because it seems just as I am enjoying one it is cancelled for one reason or the other.  I tried watching the 68th Emmy Awards last night and my hubby and I did not recognize many of the nominees or the shows.  Seems most are from politically correct formats.  We joked and said we are knee deep in the reality shows because the sic humor on these shows is not our cup of tea, and we just don't want political views or violence peppered in while trying to watch a relaxing comedy/drama.  There are a few good shows we watch in our weekly lineup that deal with family dynamics or medical shows that can inform us while entertaining us.

Sidenote, I have a friend who is spending a month in Ireland, and is posting daily pictures of the sites he is visiting.  He recently retired and his co workers joined together to buy him a ticket to visit his homeland.  Oh how I long to visit Europe.  I love reading whatever you share with us here in our group.  It's like bits of crumbs that only make me want more.

Jean and Rosemary, I love hearing how the two of you are able to share your time with your daughters.  Mine lives in Florida while I am in Ohio and it would be wonderful to have her near to share book club discussions or movies with her.  Cherish those moments!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17401 on: September 19, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »
So, Bellamarie, I am not defending Margaret Sanger's reasoning.  But, as a thinking Catholic Christian, I believe it is my decision to decide how many children I will bear, not the Church's, not the Republican Party, and, not even my husband. I do not see birth control as getting rid of unborn children, but as preventing conception.  The Church has allowed birth control in the form of the rhythm method or abstinence for a long time, so for it to call women sinful who practice birth control  seems hypocritical to me.  It also shows how little regard the Church has for women in general. This being said, I concur with the current Pope that Catholicism should not be about one or two moral issues.  It needs to be about love and kindness for all.  Obviously we disagree on this issue.  I believe that it is possible to disagree and to respect the opinions of others.  I also admire you greatly for your willingness to speak out.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17402 on: September 19, 2016, 05:00:24 PM »
Margaret Sanger had said many times that she was not in favor of abortion, like many pro-choice people, and hoped that her education to women about birth control and providing a reliable birth control method was her ultimate goal, thereby limiting the number of abortions. She was aware, as we all are,  that when women had unwanted pregnancies, or dangerous pregnancies, they would, as they had for centuries and centuries, try to stop it, therefore, her goal was to have women be able to control their reproductive system so as to not get pregnant. Thus, her fight for, and funding of a birth control pill. Providing education and affordable birth control  is still Planned Parenthoo's ultimate goal.

[Quote removed for content.]

But, her ultimate goal was to give women more control of their bodies and therefore their lives. That I celebrate.

JEAN

bellamarie

« Reply #17403 on: September 19, 2016, 06:36:47 PM »
I will respectfully, but strongly disagree with Sanger's goals.  Her statements and actions speak for herself.  Her quotes which are many were for eugenics, she wanted to control race and ethnic groups, along with her cruel attitude for the disformed, mentally challenged etc.  As she refers to them as the "unfit". 

Mkaren, I have no issues about birth control, and the Catholic Church, nor I intend to tell anyone how many children they should be allowed to have.  If you read more on Sanger her ideology was each family have two, much like Communistic attitudes, and she wanted to control or do away with certain races, and all deformities.

She was proud to stand for eugenics. I do not see Planned Parenthood's ultimate goal in the same manner, you state, Jean. When they have aborted over 7 million babies since roe v wade, that is not a number we can accept as a humane nation.  You see it your way, but many see it differently.  We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. 

In her own words up til just before she died she believed the "unfit" did not deserve to be born.  I believe in the sanctity of ALL lives, yes, even the deformed, mentally ill, etc.  Sanger would have denied my daughter with a mental illness the right to procreate. 

.https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/9-things-you-should-know-about-margaret-sanger
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17404 on: September 19, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »
I'm sorry. I don't feel the current discussion is appropriate here for the Library? Could we now table it and change the subject?

Thanks.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17405 on: September 19, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
Oh lordy this almost sounds obscene after the seriousness of the conversation - I've been in a mood for light and funny and I think I found another one that sounds like a riot - Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life - oh please go to the Amazon page and read the description - does this not sound like a fun read
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1101886080/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And someone I know recommended this - House of Earth Low Price CD: A Novel - evidently Woody Guthrie wrote a novel that portrays a couple living through the dust bowl with their hopes and dreams - hmm interesting during this time when it is not the dust bowl but so many other happenings that seem to bombard us daily.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17406 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »
Just a mention if you all could keep BarbStAubrey's son in law in your thoughts and prayers as they wait for answers for the diagnosis of his heart condition.  Barb as you all know is a huge contributor to our discussions, and she and her family I am certain are on pins and needles waiting for answers.  Thanks!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17407 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »
Barb, we're all pulling for you and yours.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17408 on: September 21, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
thanks - emergency has calmed - Gary was released this evening from Heart Hospital in Asheville - without a definitive answer as to why his experience - pacemaker will not work - thankfully the tests did rule out any invasive surgery - the follow up with the heart speciesist as the course of action - and so they will come off the trauma of the past few days at home but be living with the uncertainty that comes when you know there is a problem with no planned course of action yet...

September 21 -  ::) for us in Texas, Summer II.  :D  ;)  ;D although it was overcast most of today - unbelievable after nearly 2 weeks of 98 degree days. It is not called the long hot summer for nothing... hmm that was some movie - I guess most everyone has passed that was in that movie - I wonder if it held up - may want to take a look at it...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17409 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
I loved The Long Hot Summer.  How could I not have seen that movie?  It starred the "love of my life" Paul Newman.  I don't remember the details but I know Orson Welles was in it as well as Joanne Woodward.  Thank you for reminding me of watching it in the Randolph movie theater where popcorn boxes and candy flew at the screen.  That movie, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Summer and Smoke gave me my first taste of Southern life.  And now I live in Florida.

bellamarie

« Reply #17410 on: September 22, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »
Oh Paul Newman, Mr. Blue Eyes, who could forget him or that steamy movie?

I am so glad we are at the first day of Fall, and our temps are going to cool down after tomorrow.  Looking forward to the low 70s.  I am on sensory overload with the Fall scents, colors and tastes of pumpkin spice latte's, donuts and my morning Keurig flavored coffee in the morning!  Spent this week decorating for this beautiful season. 
My front porch:  Happy Fall Ya'll!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17411 on: September 22, 2016, 07:07:14 PM »
Nice - Autumn for sure - Loved it when we lived in Kentucky all those years that I had oodles of chrysanthemums in various colors - never could get the deeper purple like yours Bellamarie but there was a light lavender with a yellow center - almost looked like a daisy - and it did well spilling all over - this time of year there was the planting of additional tulip bulbs - no tulips here - the deer gobble them up but daffodils work - and we do not have the morning frost that I remember we had by November in Kentucky.

We get a second summer - the fields, roadsides and even the highways turn yellow and white - Wild Coreopsis are yellow along with a few Blackeyed Susan and lots of Copper Canyon Daisy then, on the heels of all the yellow is white - lots of Salt Willow that came up over time from south of us because of hurricanes and storms also, the Spanish Swords or Daggers, the name for a certain cactus, blooms right up till Christmas. And of course lots of pumpkins - a nearby church fills the churchyard with them and overnight it seems they are sold and then in early November the tents are erected along a nearby highway as folks come here from the Carolinas with Christmas trees for sale as well as locals who chop and stack cords of firewood for sale - lots going on that says Autumn. 

I've always had to pull out at least one adventure story this time of year - Sir Walter Scott or James Fennimore Cooper or Hawthorn. Always planned on reading the complete Hiawatha - I may just do that this year.

Looks like we all have a nice memory of the heart throb Paul Newman in both The Long Hot Summer and Cat on the Hot Tin Roof - that was with Elizabeth Taylor that at the time no one gave her credit for being such a fine actress - I realized that only years later when I saw others attempt to play the part and it was dull in comparison. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17412 on: September 22, 2016, 08:23:09 PM »
 Yes I love fall colors and decorations, that's lovely  and colorful, Bellamarie. I have to have pumpkins and gourds in the house on the kitchen table and island, have to have that fall color. The chickens absolutely love pumpkins, it's a real hoot to see them. Good wormer. Not sure if it works the same on humans. :)

Well Winchester Lady, our Saga continues. Now Mary Berry is not going to continue with the Bake Off but Paul is. hahaaha Why does this not surprise me?

Perhaps another production company can come up with  a new format for Mel and Sue and Mary. Perhaps somebody already has offered. Interesting. I guess Paul (who has had a couple of shows himself which I think did not go all that well) thinks he can carry it by himself.  He may be able to but I wish he had stayed, he would  be missed,  if the three got together, but not as much as Mary will. In my opinion. I liked the other two ladies, but...

Ah well, the leaves are falling, the grapes are coming in,  I can once again pick up Bleak House and things are looking good here. I hope your son in law will continue to improve, Barbara,

Still reading the Agatha Raisin Something borrowed,  Someone Dead or something like that. Despite it's sketchiness, I'm enjoying it but I fall asleep before I get far into it every night. Characters seem a tad cardboard-y after Dickens, but who doesn't ? I don't know if MC Beaton is changing or if I am changing. It used to be that I couldn't wait for her new books, I had all of hers in hardback for a long time, but I stopped, for some reason. They were, as I recall, to me a real treat. Now?  I must say she can still plot a mystery, I have no earthly idea who dun it in this one (but I almost never do).

Hi, Rosemary Kaye, and welcome back! I had not heard of The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard, that sounds very good, I will look into it. Thank you for that background on the BBC. . Goodness,  Islay sounds picturesque! Are you still writing your column?

Barbara, I've got this one: Julian Fellowes's Belgravia, have you started it  yet? I like his books.

Frybabe, that book on data sounds way over my head. Have you started The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman yet?  What's it about?

It looks like we have a pretty exciting slate here in the Books thru January, just wait and see!  Lots of new innovations this year, too, as befits a 20th Anniversary. Let's go out with a bang in December, lots of celebratory fun!

Bellamarie are you still continuing with And Ladies of the Club? I've got it but I want to finish Bleak House first. I'm pretending I am reading it as it was published. I've paid my second shilling and I'm now on chapter 6. He did four chapters in the first one and three in the second and that's where I am now.. Of course it's not April, I'm a tad behind there.  I'm going to be really  something if I can keep up with that schedule of publication monthly, but I can always stack it over in the corner and pick it up when I can again. What a clever man he was, the anticipation for these chapters  must have been extraordinary.

Frybabe

« Reply #17413 on: September 22, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Ginny, Weapons of Math Destructiion is actually pretty easy to follow. You don't need a math or information tech degree to understand it. As for The Invisable Library, I took it back to
 the library today. It appears to be another wizard school library type thing which is not what I want to read right now. Maybe later, but I haven't even read Harry Potter yet. I have The Philosopher's Stone in both English and Latin, BTW.

bellamarie

« Reply #17414 on: September 23, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
Yes, Ginny, I am still ploughing through "......And Ladies of the Club". Just not sure about this book.  Very slow and not eventful.  I keep asking myself why am I bothering with it.     

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17415 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
Frybabe your referring to Harry Potter only reminds me there are a group of new books that I have just not kept track of much less read, that further the story of Harry Potter - 2 of my grands especially were all about the Potter series and I must say I had the time of my life not only reading those books but attended the opening nights at the books stores for the release of the next book in the series. That was more fun... seeing all those kids dressed in costume so excited and as soon as their name was called and they picked up their book, plop - they sat anyplace in the store or maybe made it to the front of the store and sat leaning against the building, eyes glued to the start of the next part of the adventure - loved it seeing all those kids hanging onto a story in words and not first in film or TV.

Looked up The Invisable Library sounds like the intrigue of a spy type story over missing library books but more from an alternative universe - wow that is a lot of fantasy isn't it - looks like she has a series of books - Frybabe have you read any of her other books?

The Weapons of Math Destruction you mention reminds me I have on my TBR pile The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World I've been hesitant to start it because I have not used much math in over 60 years and where I was a wiz in geometry I was so so in Algebra that is the basis as I understand it to creating an algorithm - but knowing how they work sure seems to be necessary as we are further and further analyzed and categorized. Is there a kernel of wisdom you've learned reading Weapons of Math Destruction?

From the sloughing through you've all alluded to The Ladies of the Club sure sounds like a book for a long, weather related, at home pause. Is the story anything like Little Women?

With all the great front door decorations for the season who reads books about nature or homey books about recipes using the fall harvest - I always think raisins, cinnamon, apples and sausage this time of year. OK who has a favorite recipe book? And does anyone still put up jams or jellies?

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17416 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
Ginny, I agree with you about liking the three ladies, Mel, Sue, and Mary. I think the show will really miss them. I like Paul, but not as much as the other three.  I recently saw that Sue (Perkins) has written a book, “Spectacles”, that has gotten very good reviews. There is a lot of talk about these three ladies starting their own “Bake Off” show. That would be great!
~ Carol ~

bellamarie

« Reply #17418 on: September 23, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
Barb, no the book "..... And Ladies of the Club" is nothing like Little Women.  I absolutely LOVE Little Women and have the Ashton Drake doll collection of Mrs. March and her four daughters: Jo, Beth, Amy, and Meg.

"....And Ladies of the Club" is about women/families in Waynesboro, Ohio which takes place between 1868 - 1932.  The women have formed a book club, and although the women have rules they are not to discuss anything controversial during their book club meetings, it seems they want to use the women to be involved in political matters.  Where I am at in the book, some of the women want to drive out the saloons in their town.  It deals with much of the politics going on, and the differences the women have depending on their party, their husband's positions, and their faith.  I must admit I am not being diligent in reading it every day, although it is becoming more interesting with conversations among the characters rather than lengthy descriptives of the homes and fashions.  I have to share this section, it was a bit funny.:

"The Club constitution forbids its participation as a Club in anything of controversial nature.  But perhaps you had thought of revisiting the constitution in that section, too?"  It was Mrs. McKinney's turn to look startled.  "Oh, no, certainly not.  There was no authorization to do so.  It simply hadn't occurred to me that temperance could be considered a "controversial matter" by the ladies of the Club.'  "Oh, temperance! Of course not.  I thought you meant total abstinence, and driving out the saloons.  Of course, what individual members of the Club do is their own concern.  But for that sort of crusade to be successful, don't you want women whose husbands drink up all their wages, and beat them, and abuse the children, to make the saloonkeepers' consciences hurt?"  "The saloonkeepers wouldn't be moved by our hymn-singing, I'm afraid."  Anne managed not to smile, although the whole notion seemed to her truly mirth-provoking.  "They know our husbands don't beat us."

While reading this book I can clearly see some of our own Seniorlearn bookclub in these characters.  :D  :D

That train delivering books is so exciting!  Thanks Jean for the link.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #17419 on: September 23, 2016, 03:34:56 PM »
And Ladies of the Club is a favorite of mine and I agree with Bellamarie:  It is not an action filled, plot driven book, that's for sure. It snuck up on me.  I got caught up in the characters and I think they became my "friends" and I became a part of the club.  As each woman grew old and eventually died I felt a loss.  When the novel ended after 1000+ pages, I felt sad and empty.  I also learned what it was like to live in Ohio, in the northern US after the Civil War.  As a history buff it is the way people live that fascinates me the most.  So this book was a fit for me.  I can see that it is not for everyone.  I am not a fan of mysteries or fantasy, but I love the way so many in the book live for the next exciting read.  That is why this is such a wonderful place.  Whatever you love , you can find others who also love it.  And now I find myself wanting to  read The Woman in Cabin 10 and I am searching for a fantasy with characters who will draw me in.

bellamarie

« Reply #17420 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
MKaren, you are so right!  I find myself thinking about these characters during the day when I least expect it.  I am being drawn in, as you so put it, the characters are beginning to feel like friends.  A few days ago I was thinking of taking the book back to the library and decided I didn't want to give up on it.  The ladies going from pub to pub singing their hymns just cracked me up.  I can tell it's going to be generational so I am preparing to deal with the loss of characters, and the sadness, but for now they are still having babies!!! 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17421 on: September 25, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »
Winchester Lady:   I recently saw that Sue (Perkins) has written a book, “Spectacles”, that has gotten very good reviews. There is a lot of talk about these three ladies starting their own “Bake Off” show. That would be great!

I'll look into that, thank you. I hadn't heard of it.  And I'm going to read next Ruth Ware's In A Dark Dark Wood which you recommended because I liked her Woman in Cabin 10 so much.  (I gave that Cabin 10  to my DIL, I hope she likes it).

But I think you're right.  I think they can make a super program together, maybe better than the last one.  And maybe then we can have two to watch, Paul and Nigella (rumored) on Channel 4,  and Mary Berry and the two ladies and somebody else.  But  I just watched the Great British Bake Off Red Nose Competition 2015 (or as much as Youtube would let me watch of the trailers) with Dame Edna and Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley and Lulu,  and Mary and Sue and Mel and Paul were in it and I actually felt quite sad;  it worked so well. It really did.  Maybe they can make a better one.

Still,  it's sad.  But we in this country at least will get to see the current Bake Off  next year (I hope) while they are  all  still together,  on our PBS. 

Yesterday I was trying to listen to NPR in the car, thinking it would be calm and peaceful and lo and behold they were interviewing the author of the only one of two books I have ever literally thrown in the fire : Mary Karr.  Author of the memoir  The Liars Club.  I listened for about 5 minutes which was as much as I could take, to the woman trying to interview her,  and turned it off.  Then I thought, no, give her a chance, maybe despite everything you just don't understand her etc., and turned it back on and absolutely nearly drove the car off the road.  She said, and I quote: "I do pray. I pray every day, all day long. I pray all the time. I can't get on a subway car without wanting to kill everybody in it. If I didn't pray..."(and at this point I was punching the button to turn it off somewhat violently, so I didn't hear what was said next.

All I could think was I bet everybody listening to this prays they never get on a subway with you, either.

I think today, without reading the transcript, that this may have been a bit of her humor? (I'm being charitable). And her tongue in cheek kind of outré sayings, etc.? I bet that's it.  She has so many.  If Jennifer Saunders said it, it wold be funny because she would be expressing frustration in a comical way.  I don't know what it IS about Mary Karr that sets me off...It might be her  "in your face" persona...something about the way she comes AT the reader and AT the listener with this relentless smarty gotcha gotcha gotcha (did you feel that? gotcha! ) smart  a## attitude which drives me nuts.   And we read that thing in the book club, we read it for ONE WHOLE month,  and the trash can was too good for it, I threw it literally in the fireplace and enjoyed watching it burn up.

I guess I'm not a fan?  hahahaa

Yesterday I read 3/4ths of a biography of Lionel Messi, the European Football player for Barcelona, because I was thinking of giving it to my grandson for his birthday and wanted to be sure there was nothing in it untoward for a 9 year old. There was. It is not a book for children but it was a quick and fascinating read.  But my goodness, what an unusual man. He's the opposite of Mary Karr. He doesn't make public statements, doesn't talk much, if at all,  smart man.

It's a really good book, well written and entertaining, I could black out the statements he doesn't need to read,  but the subject  comes off a bit odd and I'm not sure unless the last chapter redeems the tone of the book that I'll give it to my grandson. If you can't get TO the subject you're writing about then get at the people around him type of thing. ...,eh....  He's read most of the children's books about him.

That and Bleak House is what I'm reading now, but what about you all?

OH I have to ask. Did ANY of you see the William Shatner, George Foreman, Henry Winkler, and Terry Bradshaw show on these old guys traveling around the world? I think it was only 4 episodes. It was a total HOOT! I loved it after the first one, the first one took some getting used to,  and am astonished to find a lot of the younger generation did, too. I hope they make another one.

In Edit! They have! They have renewed it for next year. YAY.

Frybabe

« Reply #17422 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31:56 AM »
And now, for all you DIYers out there, Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Recipes and Processes (10,000 of them according to the cover): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/53143/53143-h/53143-h.htm#p409 Want to make your own adhesives? Or how about Fire Extinguishers and FireProofing? Or, you might like to make your own extracts, perfumes, soaps, and toilet water. How about medicinal compounds such as lice powder, antidotes for poisons, sunburn recipes, balms, etc. You can make your own papers, wood stains and solders. There are formulas for aging fabric, beverages (alcoholic and not) including medicinal wines, insect repellents and printing inks. The list is long and varied.  It is fun to look through.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17423 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
Gee, I always wanted to make my own fire extinguisher. ;)  That does sound amusing.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17424 on: September 26, 2016, 05:27:59 PM »
Fry: I always wanted to make paper from the papyrus plant in my daughters yard.  don't suppose that's new age enough for your book?

Frybabe

« Reply #17425 on: September 26, 2016, 08:04:54 PM »
I don't know about new age, JoanK. I took a look at the paper section and discovered that most of the formulas are for treating paper including marbleizing, turning paper into tracing paper, fireproofing paper and making carbon paper. There are a few that start with white paper pulp, but I didn't see anything using papyrus.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17426 on: September 27, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
Just finished The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 - OK but not near as good or uplifting as The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules or the hilarious The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared that one they even made into a movie that was not half bad.

There is a second on Frank Derrick - he goes on a Holiday to see his daughter who for a dozen years has been living in Los Angelus - he has a sense of humor but more like a curmudgeon who gets down, is lonely and sees the everyday annoyances as mountains of aggravation. Good hearted but no adventure and so I can see the second book as nothing more than finding fault with all the idiosyncrasies of the US and Los Angelus in particular. 

Where as there is a squeal to The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules where the band of 5 now 6 also goes on holiday to the West Indies - that I may pickup - they brought so much fun to the unexpected, the best word to describe them is they are all imps.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17427 on: September 27, 2016, 05:05:54 PM »
Everyone likes to take a shot at Los Angeles. I live in a suburb thereof and it's a very ordinary town filled with very ordinary people (of course, I don't roll with the movie crowd).

CallieOK

« Reply #17428 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
Can anyone ease a grandmother's mind?
I know some of you live in and around the NYC area.   This week, my 23-year-old granddaughter moved there to "pursue her dream".  She's been to NYC four times, has some friends in various areas of the city and is comfortable getting around via subway, etc. - but, of course, her family in Oklahoma is a bit dubious.
She has a sub-let in Hamilton Heights for October and hopes to find one in Washington Heights after that.  Any comments on these areas?

Ginny,  I started the programs with the four older guys but didn't stick with it.  I might do so - if they go to a different country (even thought I think William Shatner is way beyond silly!).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17429 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
wheee the last hour or so I've been like a kid on a new bike scooting between the various sites I frequent when I'm on the computer, testing them out - just finishing up earlier this afternoon and this loud voice come across telling me to call an 800 number that my computer was hacked and all my credit card information and facebook and other personal information was being streamed to the hackers. They were calling from micrasoft and with that a large window opens essentially saying the same thing - I was paralyzed for a minute not sure what to do - then decided not to do anything till I talk to either my son or son-in-law - in the meantime this loud voice repeats over and over and over the same message.

Well of course everything is on the computer - and I would not touch it - let the voice scream I was not even going to lower the voice - nothing - looked on my phone and called my son - no answer - left a message - called my daughter - no answer - left a message - looked and looked no number for my son-in-law who owns a computer store in Greenville SC - thought I had his number with the emergency numbers on the frig - notta - actually no numbers left - then I remembered my little code saving book - small 3x5 set up to keep track of sites the code and password and the first page is a note page where everyone in the family's phone number is located - breathe - call Gary - he immediately was concerned I did not touch anything - no - 

Seems they have getting calls all week - a pandemic - most folks react and call the 800 number and end up having to bring their computer to the store - some follow the instructions and end up paying upwards to a $1,000 to the hackers - so using the remote control he got Will on it and in an hour had it all fixed, cleaned out, even took care of two other problems I was having with ads slowing down my email since I could not type till the ads uploaded and now that they are video it was taking even more time - he disconnected all ads - what a relief - and he got all my pictures back that had disappeared early today that was probably part of this hacking attempt.

Did learn that no large computer company, micrasoft or apple or you tube or facebook or google or or or - none of them ever ask you to call them in order to fix anything that they are telling you is wrong with your computer or that your computer needs any kind of adjustment - seconds after Will got to my computer using the remote he immediately disconnected the guy's voice that was yelling at me - yelling so loud it was difficult to even talk to Gary to explain - just as well since Gary immediately knew what was happening.

Just telling y'all about this adventure has agitated me allover - had my blood pressure through the roof - need to take another walk and calm down - earlier took two aspirin but do not think so - haha I was going to turn on the TV and I am seeing it is time for the news - oh dear that is as bad as telling y'all about my computer -- well take care and do not touch anything if you have this happen - and please get a few phone numbers on paper someplace - 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17430 on: September 28, 2016, 06:38:46 PM »
Callie, a friend from here moved to NYC to live with her daughter and SIL and granddaughter in (I think) Washington Heights.  They own and the SIL runs a coffee shop in Washington Heights - the daughter is an architect.  I haven't heard anything about problems from her.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CallieOK

« Reply #17431 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »
Oh, maryz,  she'd love to know about the coffee shop!
I'm sure she'll be fine - just thought it would be nice to have some comments from anyone familiar with the "way north north side."

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17432 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
Sorry, Callie - I don't remember the name of the shop.  If I hear from my friend (I haven't in a while), I'll ask her.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #17433 on: September 28, 2016, 10:17:41 PM »
Barb, I had a similar incident yesterday but just immediately shut my computer down, rebooted it and all is well.  I didn't panic because I figured it was a cyber scam.  I had to have my landline phone # changed after having it for over 30 yrs because the past few weeks I have had scammers calling all hours of the night waking us up.  I just wish there was an effective way to stop harassing scammers.

CallieOK

« Reply #17434 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Update on granddaughter who moved to NYC.   This is her third day "in residence" and she has found all the necessary places - like grocery store and place to get her coffee fix.  ;)    I don't think she needs any "advice" from a long-distance grandmother!!!

So far, I haven't had any scammer problems on my computer - but I certainly am getting a lot of phone calls.  I found a web site on which one can look up numbers that are unidentified on Caller ID and see comments by others who have received calls from that number.  Seems to be a national problem.

I'm next in line to receive the e-book of "The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules".   Maybe I'll get some useful suggestions.....  ;D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17435 on: September 29, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »
I get huge numbers of phone calls claiming my computer has a virus, or has been hacked.  Even if they didn't have plenty of the characteristics of scams, they start out by referring to my windows computer,  and I've never had anything but Macs.

Callie, I hope your granddaughter loves living in New York.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17436 on: September 29, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
Callie, I can understand how you feel - my 'baby' is now about to apply to art school in London, ie 500 miles away (which is a long way in the UK!) - and although i was brought up there, I have to keep reassuring myself that she will be able to cope. But I know she will be so thrilled if she is offered a place (which is far from certain, Goldsmiths' is horrendously competitive) that I couldn't possibly stop her.

And talking about areas - Goldsmiths' is in New Cross, a rather seedy part of South London that all my father's family came from - and spent their early adulthood trying to escape!  My mother just cannot understand how M can contemplate wanting to live there, but of course to Young People it's just 'edgy', and she'll probably love it.

I hope your granddaughter has a fabulous time - even I'm jealous of anyone living in New York!

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #17437 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
New York and Europe are both on my bucket list.  It amazes me how these young millennials have no fear.  Gosh when I was eighteen years old and got married I moved just across the Michigan/Ohio stateline, 30 miles from my family, we thought it was another country.  Living in a small town all my life with a big Italian family who were in everyone's business daily, it was a huge shock to me to move over the state line into Ohio away from my Michigan family.  But.... I love it!  A little space is good for growth.  Mary Kaye good luck to your daughter, I hope she is accepted to her first choice.  Callie, I bet your granddaughter is loving the Big Apple!!

"The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules", now this sounds like a fun read.  I am about to give up on "And the Ladies of the Club".  I'm thinking of purchasing the book so I can return this one to the library, that way I can pick it up and read it when I feel like it and not worry it is overdue to go back to the library.  I would like to see it through to the end of the 1,400+ pages, but I see me still reading it past Christmas.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17438 on: September 30, 2016, 03:32:34 AM »
Ginny, I saw Better Late Then Never with the guys. They were hilarious at times. Glad to hear they are coming back. I wonder if it will be the same group?

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17439 on: September 30, 2016, 09:52:12 AM »
here is a treat for all of you who love the British Bake off - online repeats of all the shows in Season 7 plus a page of other bits including a few recipes and fun, a Bake Off quiz.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07r246c