Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049283 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #17560 on: November 09, 2016, 04:09:12 PM »
I can't believe it has been 10 years, Robby.

Tomorrow I will be picking Two Old Women from the library. One of the gals over on Seniors and Friends is in Fairbanks. I asked if she read the book, and is so what she thought of it. She didn't read the book, but she does remember the controversy it created. I will probably do a Google and see what I can come up with.

The other book ready to pick up is Palace of Treason (second of the Red Sparrow series). The series is a spy thriller set in modern times. Both the author and his wife are retired after a career in the CIA. A movie is in the works for Red Sparrow with Jennifer Lawrence taking the female lead.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17561 on: November 09, 2016, 05:01:10 PM »
My copy of Two Old Women came Monday.  It's a good read, really sucks you in, and goes quickly.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17562 on: November 10, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »
Welcome back, Robby. It's great to see you here!

Frybabe, I'm glad you'll be checking out TWO OLD WOMEN. Pat, I'm glad you already have the book.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17563 on: November 11, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17564 on: November 12, 2016, 03:06:31 AM »
MARRIAGE COUNSELING

A man and wife who went for counsel
Fought an awful lot.
The counselor asked for problems there
The husband,he spoke not.

The wife went on,and on,and on.
The husband still said naught.
The counselor got an earful soon
Of reasons they had fought.

He picked the wife up from her chair
And kissed her HARD and LONG.
She was so stunned; it shut her up
Surprised he was so strong.

He spoke then to the husband next
Who stared in disbelief
To see his woman shut her mouth.
It was a big relief.

"She needs this kissing twice a week;
I'm showing you my way".
"OK" he said, "I'll bring her here
Each Tuesday and on Friday".
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17565 on: November 13, 2016, 01:40:59 PM »
I am reading a book called A Diary of The Lady: my first year as editor - it's by Rachel Johnson (sister of politician Boris) and it's her diary of the first year she spent as editor of The Lady.

The Lady is a very old-fashioned weekly magazine. For years and years it was bought mostly for the classified ads, as this was where you went to find your nanny, housekeeper, au pair, mother's help, etc if you were of the class that has such things. (And of course it was also where you went if you were looking for a job of this kind). The Middletons themselves, William and Kate, advertised for their housekeeper in these august columns. The rest of the magazine was made up of  'genteel' articles about things like country customs, innocuous theatre productions, rather dull travel articles, and something called The Ladygram. The Lady had been owned and run by the same aristocratic family for generations. By the time Rachel was headhunted for the job (she is an established journalist and author) the magazine was losing money and readers hand over fist - the average age of its readers was 78.

The book describes her attempts to drag it, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

Rachel Johnson is the kind of person that i would probably loathe if I met her - she's posh, rich, has the hide of a rhinoceros and the confidence of her class. I have to say, however, that i am finding this book both interesting and hilarious. Everything Rachel tries to do at The Lady (which is housed in a building in Covent Garden, London, of which the freehold (worth billions) is still owned by the Budworths (who own the magazine) - the upper floors, all 16 rooms of them, are still (or were when the book was written) occupied by Uncle Tom, who does absolutely nothing. The Lady's staff consists of numerous people who have been there forever and mostly also do very little.

Rachel brings in all her upper class journo friends to write new copy - almost all of which is strongly resisted by the Budworth matriarch, who resides in some ancestral pile in the country and communicates only by letter ('I want this woman sacked immediately') or by shouting down the phone. Rachel documents the events of every day - the weird things that people send in, the constant complaints from older readers about how she is ruining the magazine, the numerous events she attends to try to raise The Lady's profile - and the many mistakes she makes in her attempts to up the sales figures.

It's very easy to read, and provided you can put up with all the 'then I had lunch at The Ivy with X' stuff, it really is very entertaining.

During the course of the year, a fly-on-the-wall documentary was made by a TV company about Rachel's arrival and her effect on the entrenched establishment. I did see this programme, and very funny it was, so it is also interesting to hear about it from the other side - what Rachel thought at the time, what the managing director (a Budworth son who would rather be flying helicopters) said about it (often barely printable), etc.

If you are looking for a light read that will tell you a lot about the English aristocracy - and indeed about middle class English ladies of a certain type - I recommend this book.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17566 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »
Rosemary...This was very interesting. I hadn't heard of this book, but have just ordered a copy for my Kindle. I've been a subscriber to The Lady for several years, mainly because I love everything British and the fact that the magazine is somewhat old-fashioned. I'm not quite the age of the average subscriber but I do enjoy reading it each week. Perhaps Rachel Johnson was just what they needed!
~ Carol ~

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17567 on: November 14, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »
 What a wonderful review, RosemaryKaye, I think I will look for it, too. Thank you!

Listen,  those of you who like British things, one of my face to face students (who is originally from Scotland, too, Rosemary), recommended The Crown,  which is streaming on Netflix,  to me. She said you won't be able to stop watching it.

She was right. I didn't know anything about "streaming," but there's nothing to it, and I can hardly put the IPad down.  I watch it on the computer, I watch it on the IPad, I've watched 9 hour  episodes of it already. It's wonderful. Churchill and the young  Queen Elizabeth. Tons of stuff I had no idea about. I had no idea that the Duke of Windsor was so scathing in his assessments of the royal family. It was somewhat shocking, actually.

I've ordered Manchester's third Churchill book in his trilogy and would appreciate anybody's recommendation of a  Churchill biography, there's so much brought up in this film that I want to know what really happened. But the film itself is marvelous. Very very addictive.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17568 on: November 14, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
Welcome back, Robby! Can it really have been 10 years? Hard to believe, how time flies, can you really be 96? I was looking at photos of our Books at the Beach trip the other day and there you are out walking briskly into the dawn.  Must have done you some good!

Welcome back!

Robby

« Reply #17569 on: November 14, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Thank you, Ginny.  I remember well that beach trip.  Somewhere is a photo of that group of predominantly women with this tall man sticking up in the back.  As for "walking briskly," the brain may still be around but the legs don't do what they used to do.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17570 on: November 14, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
You're speaking for most of us there, Robby.

LarryHanna

« Reply #17571 on: November 14, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
Ginny, I agree with you about how good "The Crown" on Netflix is.  We have the 9th episode still to watch, which we will likely do this evening.  I haven't been able to find out if the series will be continued.  The first season cost around $100 million to make.  I have ended up feeling sad for the whole royalty clan as none of them seem to have experienced a lot of happiness, especially Phillip and Margaret.  The portrayal of Winston Churchill is beyond good.  I was also shocked at what little education the Royals received and admire the Queen for seeking further education as an adult.  I do hope there will be several more seasons of this series.
LarryBIG BOX

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17572 on: November 14, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
Winchesterlady - I've just realised one of the paragraphs in my post about The Lady makes no sense at all - I'll have to blame myself for writing it when I was really tired last night!  Sorry about that.

My mother also subscribed to The Lady for many years - in fact she maybe still does, I must ask her.

I found the documentary I mentioned - on Youtube. If you can get that, you can watch it - for some reason it's in four short parts, when it was originally just one programme, but it is definitely the same thing. I enjoyed re-watching it.

It seems Johnson gave up the editorship in 2012 - they've had at least two more since then, and have actually won some press awards, so it must be going OK.

I think I'll have to buy a copy to see what it's like these days.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17573 on: November 14, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
Ginny - I have not watched The Crown, but it seems to be very popular over here too. Glad you're enjoying it.

Daughter and I have been watching The Moonstone, which was serialised on TV last week - it was shown at lunchtime so very few people caught it, but the Radio Times mentioned it, so we recorded it and are catching up now. It's being played in a slightly camp way, but it's enjoyable.

Poldark has now finished for us till the next series - we are hoping to see the return of Death in Paradise, which is complete nonsense but fun to watch, especially in the cold dark Edinburgh winter.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17574 on: November 14, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17575 on: November 14, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »
I started watching The Crown a couple days ago and it is outstanding! I'm limiting myself to one episode a day to make it last. I read somewhere they were planning on making 60 episodes. Hope this is true. I think John Lithgow as Sir Winston Churchill is perfect. I saw him a few nights ago on Jimmy Fallon and he explained a lot about what was done to transform him into Churchill. Ginny, if you are ever interested in a more personal look at Winston and Clementine Churchill, their daughter Mary Soames has written several good books.

Rosemary..I'll look for the videos on YouTube. They should be interesting. I always forget about looking there...and you can usually find just about anything!
~ Carol ~

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17576 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Winchesterlady - it is called The Lady and the Revamp. Part One should be here (but if the link doesn't work you should be able to find it anyway):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd3XMNuh-JA

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17577 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
Rosemary, who were the actors in The Moonstone?  I think it would do fine slightly campy.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17578 on: November 14, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »
Pat - I hadn't ever heard of most of them.

Rachel Verinder - Terenia Edwards

Franklin Blake - Joshua Silver

Gabriel Betteredge - Leo Wringer

Godfrey Ablewhite - Stuart Clarke

Sergeant Cuff - John Thomson (have heard of him! He's been in lots of things, most recently the come-back of Cold Feet, in which he was completely brilliant)

Lady Verinder - Sophie Ward (I've seen her before - she's quite famous, daughter of actor Simon Ward)

Miss Clack - Sara Hadland (ditto - she was in Miranda, and she's very good in this)

We are up to episode 3 of 5. I actually read this book as a set text when i was at school - and I can't remember a thing about it, which is handy for suspense purposes...

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #17579 on: November 14, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
Oh dear I have been away for a bit and all is a twitter about The Crown and Moonstone.  I have never heard of either, so you have piqued my curiosity.  Can you tell me if this is what you are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7-0rT5t78

It looks good, has it begun or is it going to be a new series to begin soon?  I so miss Downton Abbey, this could be my replacement.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17580 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:43 PM »
Bellamarie, I'm no expert on The Crown, but I do know about the book The Moonstone.  It's a very early detective story (1868) by Wilkie Collins.  I've read it several times, and we discussed it here some years before you joined us.  It's melodramatic, and corny, and very very good if you like that kind of thing, which I do.  Any good version of it would be worth watching.  If you do watch it, tell us your reaction.  If they keep the clues as to who is the villain the same as the book, I'm guessing you won't be fooled for a second.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17581 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:11 AM »
Haha Pat - I still haven't worked it out (we've now seen 4 of 5 episodes) but my daughter got there days ago!  Last episode will probably be watched tonight - although we also recorded a new adaptation of Zadie Smith's novel NW, which I haven't read but daughter has, so we might watch that instead. Depends on our emotional energy levels....

I don't know how I'm going to manage when said daughter goes to university next September!  Will have to make my own viewing choices  :(

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17582 on: November 15, 2016, 03:10:49 AM »
And in other news... having finished A Diary of The Lady, I've now started Angela Thirkell's Summer Half, which was recommended to me by a book blogger. I have read some Thirkell before - it's classic 1930s stuff, an idealised version of country life even then, but it's a good bedtime read for me. In the first chapter (which is as far as I've got), the younger son of a successful country solicitor has just decided to abandon the law and become a Latin teacher at a boys' boarding school (in the 1930s no training was required, just a degree from the same Oxford college as the interviewing headmaster...)  The headmaster, needless to say, has a headstrong and head-turning daughter. I'm sure everything will fall into place much as one would imagine....

After this I think I must attempt something more serious - but as the world is just now, it's awfully tempting to escape into pleasanter (even if non-existent) times.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17583 on: November 15, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »
Larry and Winchester Lady, and Rosemary, oh I was so disappointed this morning to find 10 is the last episode in The Crown, I just watched it. Hard to believe I've watched 10 hours of it.

I am thrilled to hear there may be 60 episodes coming but am reading they are going to change the CAST for Season 2!!! Surely not!  Are they jumping 60 years? I wonder why they can't put make up on  the lead actress!

And the Margaret story! I've looked up "Group Captain Peter Townsend,"  a million times since, nice looking man.  Since Prince Charles was divorced, I guess  there would be no impediment now to Margaret's marriage in 2016?

I think the writer, who wrote all those episodes should be up for an award. It's fascinating.

Still trying to figure out what's happening with Anthony Eden in 10, is it heart? What is he injecting? The palace intrigue, which you always hear about, is fascinating, isn't it?

I was shocked, too, Larry, at how little an education the Queen had. I loved that old professor and his stack of books and his asking her where he should start, that was marvelous. You know the same thing goes on today, not with the Royals but with soccer. They take these young children of great natural ability,   and put them in "sports academies," where they do have teachers but they essentially teach them to be soccer players and the players themselves, now grown men, are speaking out at last,and changed are being made.

I love the pace of the piece,  and the steadiness of the Queen character.  The actress, Claire Foy, who plays the Queen, was in Wolf Hall as Ann Boelyn and she was good, but she did not receive any acting awards, I bet she will for this one.

I just love the calmness or something ....I don't know what it is, but I am going to have to watch it again, am totally addicted.  Bring on  Season 2!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17584 on: November 15, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »
Bellamarie, thank you for the nice thought on the Ella Effect.

Yes, that's a trailer for the movie The Crown. It's about the young Queen Elizabeth,  Phillip,  and her ascension at 25 when her father died. It's absolutely wonderful.

And what a CAST it has. Jared Harris looks nothing like George VI but I like him so much I don't care. The last time I saw him was in the Sherlock movie as Moriarty (the Jude Law Robert Downey Jr. one). 

I've had recommended to me the movie  The Gathering Storm, an HBO movie about the Churchills and the surprising strength of Clementine, and just heard about a book called Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II.  I guess until the new series comes out I can read up on the characters and see if what's being portrayed in the series is all real.

It's really good and worth the time to watch. :)

bellamarie

« Reply #17585 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Winchesterlady, where are you able to watch the episodes of The Crown?  Rosemary, may I ask where you are able to watch the episodes of Moonstone?  Both of these sound like something I would love to watch as episodes.  Ginny, is The Crown you speak of as a movie the same as what Winchesterlady is watching in episodes?  I'm just a bit confused.  The Gathering Storm sounds interesting too.  I would love to set my DVD if any of these are available to me.  I may stop my the library and see if they have Summer Half. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Tomereader1

« Reply #17586 on: November 15, 2016, 10:37:53 AM »
BellaMarie, "The Crown" is streaming on Netflix.  If you have that lovely bit of technology, it is marvelous.  I'm sure they will put the series out on DVD discs at some point.  I have never heard of Moonstone.  Ginny, is that Netflix too, or Amazon?  I was fortunate (or unfortunate that my old TV zonked out on me) so I have the "SmartTV" which allows you to stream movies, TV shows, etc.  I love it.  I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. My daughter, who is my personal "tech wizard", set up the TV for me, but I'm still in that learning curve! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #17587 on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
Rosemary, did you read the book, "NW" by Zadie Smith?  I've been pondering whether to check it out.  Any recommendation on that one?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17588 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
Rosemary, I found The Lady and the Revamp on YouTube. Thanks for the link!

Ginny, Thank you for the recommendation for The Gathering Storm. I hadn't heard of it and I am interested in Winston and Clementine.

Bellamarie, I've watched four episodes of The Crown so far. Still loving it! The Crown that Ginny and I have been talking about is one and the same. The movie Ginny recommended, The Gathering Storm, is available "on-demand" if you have DIRECTV. I am downloading it now. I need a clone to keep up with everything I want to read and watch!

~ Carol ~

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17589 on: November 15, 2016, 01:27:37 PM »
Tomereader - no I have not read NW - my daughter has, but it's not her favourite Zadie Smith book, she prefers White Teeth and On Beauty. I heard an advance review of NW (ie the TV adaptation) on Front Row (BBC Radio 4 arts programme), they said that they also thought it was not her best book, and that it felt a bit as though she was creating characters to hang issues on - but they really liked the adaptation and said in some ways it worked better than the book.

I'll let you know when we've watched it.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17590 on: November 15, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
Bellamarie - you can watch all 5 episodes of The Moonstone on BBC I-player, but I'm not sure if you can access that in the US? Ginny, do you know?

I have found details of the DVD on Amazon - it will be released on 21st November, but of course it will be in European format, I think you need a different format for viewing in the US.  Anyway here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljKI9ZZr1ig

And I think I have just found some of it on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljKI9ZZr1ig

Summer Half was reissued as a Virago Classic, so I should think that would be widely available - it's certainly on Amazon.

Best wishes, Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #17591 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:42 PM »
We read The Moonstone, here, a few years ago. I will be looking to see if it gets picked up here in the US next year. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=3772.0

bellamarie

« Reply #17592 on: November 15, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
Looking back into the archives of the Moonstone discussion which was in March 2013, I found this link that PatH., had posted, it is the link to watch the 1934 version of The Moonstone for free.  I just finished watching it, and it appears to be a free download of the book on kindle according to a post by JoanK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025515/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

So am I to understand there may be a series of this story?  It was a very short movie only 1 hr.  I do have Netflix so now I want to check out The Crown.  Thank you everyone for your responses to my query.

Oh my heavens, I was browsing through the posts of the 2013 discussion of The Moonstone, and lol and behold it seems as if the book is not only different from the 1934 movie, but sounds much longer and much more intriguing!  Now I just may have to read the book.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17593 on: November 16, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
Bellamarie - re The Moonstone, the recent BBC TV series was 5 episodes of 45 minutes each. It's such a long time since I read the book that I can't remember it properly, but I imagine it's a good deal more complex than the adaptation. Enjoy both!

Rosemary x

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17594 on: November 16, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
The book is long, wordy, with an elaborate plot, but with almost 4 hours, I think you could do a pretty complete job.

It's kind of corny, and you get a bit tired of some of the comic characters, but it's a good read too.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17595 on: November 16, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
The reason The Moonstone is such a classic, with all it's predictable plot "twists", is because it was the first time such things had been used.  Basically all that sort of thing in subsequent writings came from this first instance of this type of plot.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17596 on: November 16, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »
Rosemary, on the BBC 1 player, it's not available out of the UK.

It's amazing what we do get, on the BBC  APP, but even there sometimes they have not converted the film clip over and it says sorry.  I wish we could get the BBC anything,  I'd love to see the latest Bake Off.  They have clips on their site but I can't see half of them.

I'm having serious withdrawal pains from The Crown.

Tome, I don't know about the Moonstone thing, but I see many here do, and I appreciate hearing this and also Winchester Lady about the Direct TV thing on the Churchill movie. We don't have Direct TV so I will see what Dish offers, I do want to see it. Tell us how you like it?

Tome, I am green with envy over your Smart TV. I thought when we bought this last one after squinting at a tiny screen for more years that I care to admit, that, oh no we don't need one, boy was I ever wrong. I would kill for one now. I could have seen The Crown on it, big screen (or bigger than an  I Pad mini).  Dish record and I don't get along, I have managed to erase my Wolf Hall which I had so carefully rerecorded! As Georgie in the Mapp and Lucia series would say, "tarsome!"

Also yesterday another recommendation was "a good book by Lynn Olson Troublesome Young Men  which gives a nice background to the rise of Churchill."

I treated self after the dentist yesterday to a trip to B&N where I picked up two Churchill biographies and when I got home there was my copy in the mail of Edward and Mrs. Simpson, the old version which had Edward Fox. I could not find my (1978) copy and I suspect it was on VHS taped from the PBS (was it?)_series but Edward Fox IS Edward VIII to me, he looks like him, he talks like him and the woman who played Wallis, while too pretty to BE Wallis, sure does look like her,  too. (I do have to say tho that the actor in The Crown is spot on with his portrayal, the Wallis character  not so much). The Edward Fox movie about the Abdication is a  wonderful wonderful movie. Fox is good in everything,  including the understated and underhyped A Month at the Lake, a forgotten film I really enjoyed.

I seem to be back on a tear of this period, but what a period it was.

I did peek at one of the Churchill biographies to see what actually happened to that painting. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched The Crown, yet, so I won't, but I had misunderstood what the film said, and wanted to read it for myself. Now I know.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17597 on: November 16, 2016, 10:16:22 AM »
I did also want to say, Winchester Lady, that my little grandson was here yesterday and  we were both doing our "homework," here at the desk and he saw your name and wondered about it and I showed him the Winchester House trailer which scared him to death, ahaha so then I had to explain about the house and show enough photos of it and descriptions of the people in it till he understood.  I think it was the comparison to Disney's Haunted Castle at Disney World which finally got him to understand. When you VISIT it however, they do try to make it "spooky" and "interesting," I felt sorry for the poor woman.

I taught adults reading one interval of my life and that's in the SRA readers for adults and it's certainly an unusual story and one which sticks with you.  When you tour it, it's perfectly tame and I felt sorry for the poor woman who tried to make amends to the people killed by the Winchester rifles over time, but it's a beautiful if somewhat odd house...The illustrations of the orchestra playing music on the lawn and the food and stuff you can buy there finally won him over. I guess it's an odd thing to show a child, but I thought it was worth the seque.

Frybabe

« Reply #17598 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:05 AM »
For those who are interested in Troublesome Young Men, we discussed it here some time ago. http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1187.0 I enjoyed the discussion,which was hosted by Ella and Larry Hannah, very much. Good book.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17599 on: November 16, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Ginny, I don't think I've ever heard of the Winchester House. I can see where it would scare him! I took my name from where I live...Winchester, VA.  I also have a smart TV, and am embarrassed to say that I didn't even know all the things I could do with it until I had had it for about a year. Now I'm loving it. As far as watching The Crown on your tiny screen, have you ever heard of Apple TV? Before I got my smart TV, I bought Apple TV. I paid $99 for it. It's a small box that you hook up to your TV and you can view Netflix and lots of other apps on it. Once purchased, there is no monthy fee for the box, but you do have fees for some of the apps such as Netflix. However, if you already get Netflix on your iPad Mini, you're covered.
~ Carol ~