Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049130 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: The Library
« Reply #17680 on: December 08, 2016, 10:03:54 PM »
I have to weigh in with a comment.  We loved staying at B&Bs when we traveled, and felt a good part of the pleasure was the chance to meet and interact with new people we met over breakfast or cocktail hour.  And when we've been on river cruises, we've always tried to sit with new people at each meal, so we had a chance to meet the most people.  I know we're all different and enjoy different things, so I just thought I'd put my two cents in for another view.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #17681 on: December 08, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »
Ginny I share your fear of the dentist, and shamefully admit I have not been to one in years, after having a crown done only to return home to more pain than before I went.  After hours of excruciating pain even after taking the pain meds.  I went back to the dentist the next day and he found a chip of my tooth left under the crown that was pressing on my nerve causing the horrible pain.  He apologized for missing that chip of my tooth, and I went home with more meds.  That was enough to cause me to fear dentists more than ever before.  The only thing that will help me, is putting me out while working on me.

I love meeting new people, I just like having my breakfast with my hubby alone in our room.  I like lounging in my pjs, watching the morning news, checking my messages and emails, and taking my shower before my day starts.  I'm a slow starter in the morning even on vacation. I'm not good company before my morning coffee, I don't even talk much with my hubby at breakfast, so I can't imagine small talk with strangers.

I watched The Great American Baking Show last night.  I set the dvr to record it, and I must say for the first time ever seeing a show like this, I really enjoyed it.  There were nine bakers, who had to prepare bunt cakes inspired by winter flavors, apple almond cake and multi tiered holiday celebration cakes.  They also baked bar cookies, biscotti, and 3-D iced displays.  Mary Berry and Johnny Iuzzini were the judges.  The next show they will create dinner rolls using unique flavors,m ake traditional German Christmas fruit and nut bread, and build bread sculptures.  I'm looking forward to watching it.   

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #17682 on: December 09, 2016, 06:14:42 AM »
Bellamarie, the same thing happened to a woman I work with at the library. After hearing numerous reports of failed root canals (my girlfriend in CO. says that every on of hers failed), I think the way to go is an implant. I've spent almost as much on this tooth as I would have getting an implant and I am not convinced it isn't done with me yet.

I have refrained form bringing home any library books for the time being. I want to read some of the books I already have here in print and on my e-reader.

The library is now open in its' new space downstairs from where we were before. It is a little smaller, spacewise, but the lighting is better and the shelving is better arranged. Our checkout counter is roomier, too, and we have space for additional computers which have not arrived yet. I hear that the township plans on redoing the sidewalk outside and adding a canopy over our door. While I was there yesterday, we were quite busy with people coming in both to see the new space and to pick up books and movies.

bellamarie

« Reply #17683 on: December 09, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »
Frybabe, I sympathize with anyone who fears the dentist.  My crown has been successful and I have had no problems with it for over 30 yrs now.  But if yours did not take I think you might consider the implant.  We have NO dental coverage at all, so when my hubby needed an extraction and they recommended a bridge he said no way, I want to remember the cost they quoted him was somewhere in the area of $8,000.  He has had no issues what so ever from refusing that outrageous work.

Oh how fun it must be for you to spend time working in your library.  Our libraries went through upgrades the past few years and all of ours in the city are very modern, and have beautiful child sections, tons of computers for adults and children and then sections with relaxing big comfy chairs,  with coffee, hot chocolate and snack machines.  I love visiting my libraries.  I struggle with deciding to go to Barnes and Noble and the libraries, so I try to switch it up.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17684 on: December 10, 2016, 05:26:51 AM »
We are so lucky in the UK to have our wonderful National Health Service (currently under attack from all angles, but anyone who actually tries to dismantle it will really face the wrath of the entire country). I have a marvellous NHS dentist - it is not free, but we pay only a small percentage of treatment that is deemed 'necessary' (ie not cosmetic, which is fair enough). Implants do not qualify for NHS cover - I investigated having one recently and it was going to be over £2,000 for one, but the private dentist to whom my NHS dentist referred me (and to whom I could not warm) insisted I needed not one but THREE ('otherwise your bite will be unbalanced' - hmmmm) at the cost of £6,000++. I decided I could manage just fine without them. My own dentist had already said he didn't think it was worth bothering, he only referred me because I asked him to. He reckons they are only worth the money if the gap is right at the front of your mouth - mine is not visible (at least he says it's not!)

When we lived in Aberdeen we did have private dental cover - the reason for this was that at the time there were literally NO NHS dentists with vacancies (you have to register) in the entire city - the whole lot of them had gone private. My own dentist actually resigned from her practice in protest at their money-grabbing attitude. Then Poland joined the EU and many wonderful Polish dentists arrived here - they were happy to open NHS practices, and you can now, so I understand, easily find an NHS dentist in Aberdeen. One of the many advantages to EU membership, which we will now be giving up in our madness. But I will keep out of the politics of it all on this site!

I have no fear of the dentist - my dentist is so gentle and reassuring, and if I have a toothache I am only too pleased to get an appointment and get it sorted. One of my children had real issues with teeth, and this dentist we have now solved all his worries. I've never had a really bad NHS dentist but Ian is a star and I just hope he never leaves (luckily he is a lot younger than I am, so fingers crossed!)

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17685 on: December 10, 2016, 05:28:52 AM »
It is great that you are getting renewed investment in public libraries - ours are being closed at a rate of knots (though much less in Scotland than in England), it is awful. There is no investment in them because the local councils are so cash-strapped - the staff are still lovely, but understandably they feel under attack. It is so sad.  i was brought up on weekly visits to the local library, and so were my own children.

Frybabe

« Reply #17686 on: December 10, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
Our county will not be raising taxes this year except for an increase in the library tax. The increase in the tax is because the state has reduced library funding. Actually, we are quite happy that we have the new space, rather than being shut down, as I heard some of the main branch administrators wanted to do just that a year or so ago.

bellamarie

« Reply #17687 on: December 10, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
I hope we never face our libraries shutting down.  Just in a ten mile radius I can count at least seven libraries I can go to.  Our county residents are great at renewing our library and zoo taxes that come up on the ballots, along with our parks and museums.  In the summertime our libraries offer free breakfast and lunch to those who qualify for the financial program.  Our downtown library does have a few drifters who take refuge during the daytime in the cold weather, but there is tons of security so I have no problem going down to that one with my hubby.

Rosemarykaye, my hubby's gap is also far back in his mouth so it is not noticeable and gives him no issues with eating.  I wish we had some kind of dentist coverage, but $8,000 was more than we could manage.  The car industry, teacher's and ProMedica employees have excellent dental plans.  Maybe if we had some coverage my fear of going would lessen, but just thinking of the pain and cost is frightening enough to keep me away, unless I would have problems.  I was one of the lucky ones who grew NO wisdom teeth.  My dentist could tell I grew up drinking well water by how he said my teeth were so strong and healthy.  All of my kids and grandkids have had healthy teeth as well, except for needing braces for straightening. 

Frybabe

« Reply #17688 on: December 10, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Hats is back! So is ALF. I am delighted to see them posting again.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17689 on: December 10, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
Hear Ye!

Hear Ye!

A Frybabe late report...

Hats and Alf

are back...

WELCOME HOME!

Thanks Frybabe - a Holiday gift for sure...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17690 on: December 10, 2016, 11:48:26 PM »
Oh my heavens!!  I am so happy to hear Hats and Alf are back with us.  Welcome back!!!! 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17691 on: December 12, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
And now Penelope Keith went to Deeside in Scotland.  She took a glider over the area and when it got to the end she literally could not get up out of the thing, her knees were about at her chin. She said in her aristocratic voice, "I think we've had quite  enough filming of the old woman trying to get out of the seat."   Love it. Love her and I know exactly what she means. hahahaa She sat on the hillside with a  Scottish gentleman who was a...should I use the word gillie? He was THE  head of the entire estate, 10,000 acres? Did I hear that right? 10,000?  And Balmoral could be seen in the distance.  He demonstrated how to crawl down the mountain side.  His outfit alone was something out of a movie.

The program is ...out of this world.

Then the program came on with the  guy running about legendary homes  went to what he called "Barkley" Castle but it's spelled Berkeley. It has been in the hands of the same family since the 9th century. Tick another box, that one I have to go see because the furniture is original. Gotta see it. They apparently live in it and it's open Sunday- Wednesday, or parts of it are.

The British REALLY do these shows well, it makes you want to pack your bags and go.

I did start Helen Simonson's The Summer Before the War. I'm having to persevere. She doesn't do the idiom,  the dialect,  like EF Benson did, but of course he lived it. She began with a quote from Henry James about Rye. Henry James owned the house EF Benson lived in later and I've been there and toured it and the gardens, so it seems like home but the idiom is not quite true.

One thing she did say which made me sit up, literally,  is that the protagonist (this is also about woman's rights in the day) stood up straight unlike so many other older school teachers who seemed bowed over (by the ignorance of the students or their futility in dealing with it) I haven't quoted that properly but it startled me because I also seem to have developed a slump and  I didn't realize it was something others shared as a result of profession, I thought it was natural with age.   I must stand up straight. My children are all over me about it.  Apparently it's a "core" issue. I never considered it to be an admission of defeat of any kind!!!  I mean what crawls on 4 legs, walks on 2 and finally 3, and I haven't quoted that well, either, but it's not original with me.

I don't know why people in their 70's are supposed to act like and look like teenagers. I can recall when your 70's was considered old age. NOW it's the new 40. Snort. That's why I especially like Penelope Keith's salty comments and spirit.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17692 on: December 12, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
Did you see John Lithgow won the Critis Choice award for his portrayal of Churchill in The Crown?

Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #17693 on: December 12, 2016, 01:16:45 PM »
The Crown also has a few nominations for Golden Globe awards: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/golden-globes-nominees-2017-list-955075/item/best-motion-picture-drama-golden-globe-nominees-2017-955076

Best Television Series - Drama
The Crown

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama
Claire Foy - The Crown

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
John Lithgow - The Crown

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17694 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
YAY to both!

mabel1015j

« Reply #17695 on: December 12, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
Yes, I think Claire Foy deserves an award. She is so in character all the time.

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17696 on: December 12, 2016, 07:24:47 PM »
Yes and she was really overlooked for Wolf Hall and that was quite a performance. The problem WAS there were so many performances in that thing which were incredible. The actor playing Philip is also quite good, that can't be easy. And my goodness Jared Harris! I nearly fell over to see him doing Albert. And who is that playing Edward VIII? He looks a lot like him.

Frybabe

« Reply #17697 on: December 13, 2016, 05:57:02 AM »
Uh, Oh! I can't get into Seniors and Friends this morning. I message tells me that the domain name has expired. Anyone else having that problem?

Phyll

« Reply #17698 on: December 13, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »
Me, too, Frybabe.  Pat Scott has not been feeling well and apparently the site has lapsed.  Hope it will be remedied soon, if possible.  I will really miss a lot of friends over there.

phyllis
phyllis

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17699 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »

Well how nice to see you again, Phyll! Welcome! While you're here, why not come over to our Holiday Drop In? http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=5027.msg299025#msg299025

Just by posting you are entered in a raffle for a $25 gift certificate from Amazon or B&N.

We are changing topics every 2 days, but you can always address any prior topic.

December 13-14: What one thing do you absolutely have to have at Christmas or Hanukkah or it wouldn't be right without it?

You are welcome anywhere.

:)

Phyll

« Reply #17700 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:44 AM »
Thank you, Ginny.  Lots of friends from SeniorNet here and I have enjoyed browsing.
phyllis

Phyll

« Reply #17701 on: December 13, 2016, 08:31:37 AM »
I am curious to know if anyone here has read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson?  I am struggling with it.  Forcing myself to read because I have read good reviews about it.  But, I'm really not liking this tedious (to me) book and find that a third of the way into it...I still see no point.  What am I missing? 
phyllis

Jonathan

« Reply #17702 on: December 13, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »
No, I've heard about Life After Life, but I haven't read it. But I've just read the unusual story mentioned by hats in Fiction, about life after death by Tolstoy: The Death of Ivan Ilych. If the first is a struggle to read, the second is an agony. But it has a most beautiful ending. Death brought the feeling of absolute well-being! Extraordinary!

How interesting to see Cranford up for discussion in January. That's hilarious, coming after Two Old Women. In Cranford the men get left behind. Except for the doctor, if I remember correctly. What fun that will be.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17703 on: December 14, 2016, 10:21:52 AM »
Seniors and Friends is back, with a note that they might be offline for some for 24-48 hours.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17704 on: December 15, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
Wow am I looking forward to discussing Cranford - found it 'FREE' for my kindle - but best of all are the many issues we'll get into - the industrialization of England and its affects - community between women - rules for Victorian life - life in a Victorian cottage - courting - dining...

The book was first published in a Charles Dicken's journal so, what was his journal all about - There is a bit in the story about selling tea so you know already we'll look into the various teas and where they are grown and how tea is prepared - must put on my calendar minder to have a good supply of tea to drink while reading Cranford -

Then of course the author, Elizabeth Gaskell - who was she - what else did she write - where did she live and-and-and - so many topics - this is going to be fun and most wonderful, Victorian Novels are a specialty for Karen - Haven't heard the scoop yet so, we'll need to find out all about that.

I sure like having something to look forward to after the holidays. And best of all we ease into it so there is not the mad rush to pack up Holiday decorations and start of bang, discussing - Karen is planning a pre-discussion Yea.

Looks like we're in for a good snuggle down with Cranford in January. With all the topics to explore there is something for everyone - for sure some of us will have the internet directly next to our chair.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #17705 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
Barb,  I am looking forward to reading and discussing Cranford as well.  I ordered my book from Amazon.  Gosh I had no idea it could be found free for a Kindle.  Lucky you!  I have a feeling I am going to be happy owning this hard cover book.  I loved Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters.  It was a sheer delight!  You sure have listed quite a bit to include in our discussion.  Can't wait!

mabel1015j

« Reply #17706 on: December 16, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
A lot of free books on Book Gorilla today. I got Pearl Buck's mystery story  I didn't know Pearl Buck wrote mysteries and children's books.

http://www.bookgorilla.com/deals

Stay warm and dry everybody!

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17707 on: December 16, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »
Oh thank you, Jean, that looks wonderful. I didn't know she did, either. I clicked on the title of the book, Death in the Castle, and it looks wonderful and to the right it said An ancient castle, a cash-strapped and psychologically unstable aristocratic couple, and the rumor of ghosts weave together in this sparkling historical mystery from Pearl S. Buck.  Now who would not like that? And to the further right it said Prime and free and lo and behold it's on Amazon, too and free for the kindle, so I got it right away before they all changed their minds. I love Pearl  Buck. I love her trilogy of The Good Earth.

So many thanks!

I came IN to say my Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine came, and it's all holiday mysteries and I thought I would read one a day for the season till they run out. Today's was A Slaying Song Tonight. I love the typeface of this magazine, the pages are generous and as big as any book and lie flat, and  I love the etchings they illustrate it with. As per, I had no idea hu dun it. I never do.  Unfortunately the others have not lived up to the premise of the first, so it's back to Puzzel Manor. :)

Am still reading The Christmas Crimes at Puzzel Manor and am somewhat disconcerted not to have gotten ANY of the puzzles right so far, not the first one,  not ONE. In my defense, they are very complicated and they are very tricky. Or I am getting a lot duller because, remember, I have READ the thing before. MANY times. OH well, I'm enjoying it anyway. :)

I agree,  Jonathan,  Barbara,  and Bellamarie, Cranford looks totally super, doesn't it? Perfect for a winter's read! Especially with this group.  Something new for the Books, I think and free online.

Phyll, I have not read it but I have heard a lot about it. I am glad to see somebody who has read it and is giving an honest reaction. Let us know if you continue and why or what the result is.

Won't be long before the Cumberbatch Sherlock returns, can't wait, there is a special on ...is it January 1? I love that series, very strong, however.

STILL reading (I bet you don't believe it) Great Expectations.  There's nothing like Dickens at Christmas even IF it's not a Christmas story.  I'm trying to catch up to where I left off in the movie, which I have stopped. The book is much more descriptive and you pick up a lot more than the movie can explain, but I've got the movie cast in my head so it makes a very rich experience. It's  a great exercise to read them together, and no problem to be taking such a long time. SUCH a long time, but I've been reading others in the meantime like Boissier and Mommsen.
Ho ho ho!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17708 on: December 16, 2016, 05:00:52 PM »
Mommsen for light relief? ;D ;D

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17709 on: December 16, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
;) Mommsen is GOOOD!  I love the way he breaks things into paragraphs and puts little summaries over them. It makes you want to read more.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17710 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:56 PM »
Talking about Mommsen, Mark Twain (who was hard to impress and made fun of a lot of things) writing on Mommsen back in the day:

"One of the highpoints of Mark Twain's European tour of 1892 was a large formal banquet at the University of Berlin... . Mark Twain was an honored guest, seated at the head table with some twenty 'particularly eminent professors'; and it was from this vantage point that he witnessed the following incident... . In Twain's own words:

'When apparently the last eminent guest had long ago taken his place, again those three bugle-blasts rang out, and once more the swords leaped from their scabbards. Who might this late comer be? Nobody was interested to inquire. Still, indolent eyes were turned toward the distant entrance, and we saw the silken gleam and the lifted sword of a guard of honor plowing through the remote crowds. Then we saw that end of the house rising to its feet; saw it rise abreast the advancing guard all along like a wave. This supreme honor had been offered to no one before. There was an excited whisper at our table—'MOMMSEN!'—and the whole house rose. Rose and shouted and stamped and clapped and banged the beer mugs. Just simply a storm!

Then the little man with his long hair and Emersonian face edged his way past us and took his seat. I could have touched him with my hand—Mommsen!—think of it! ... I would have walked a great many miles to get a sight of him, and here he was, without trouble or tramp or cost of any kind. Here he was clothed in a titanic deceptive modesty which made him look like other men.'"

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17711 on: December 17, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »
   Just FYI, we are currently experiencing some difficulty with a Template Error message on the website. This hampers posting, which is irritating. We are in hopes that Super Marcie can figure it out.

Meanwhile you can still post but when the error message appears you need to hit the refresh link the message provides. Your post will have posted but you won't see it, you'll have to go elsewhere or refresh to see it. If this is too much bother, wait, have a cup of egg nog and see if Marcie can win the day. We're working on it, and looking forward to your next thoughts.

BOTHER! But none of our doing. Stay tuned. :)

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17712 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
Saw a funny movie on the plane...Florence Foster Jenkins  (Streep, Grant and a really super funny guy).  It had me laughing out loud.  I don't recall anyone mentioning it here, but I bet many of you wd like it.  Its about this rich NY socialite who can't sing but thinks she can and performs at Carnegie Hall.  It's a true story.  I actually watched it twice,  going and returning....mind you there's not much to do on a plane!  (Had forgotten to bring any Latin!)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17713 on: December 17, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
I loved it!!!!  I think the cast should be  up for an Oscar and I think some of them are, like the supporting actor playing the piano? He is up for a Golden Globe and he  was SO good. And so was Hugh Grant, and so was SHE!!! And as you say, it's a true story, what more can you ask for! It's an allegory of us all, maybe, in some ways. LOVED it.

CallieOK

« Reply #17714 on: December 17, 2016, 12:55:58 PM »
Re:  Florence Foster Jenkins     I knew it was a true story but thought the actors might have been "overplaying" their roles....until the very poignant ending.  Surely didn't expect to wipe a tear from my eye at that point.    Oscar nominations well deserved!

Has anyone seen La La Land?  It's playing a "limited engagement" at one of our metro theaters and son/dil have offered to take me to an early matinee on my birthday next Friday.  However, that means we would be coming all the way across OKC on the busiest route during commuter time.   I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17715 on: December 17, 2016, 07:05:03 PM »
Ginny - when you were on in the Phila area did you visit Buck's home in Bucks Co? It is a very nteresting place and her whole life story is very interesting. The barn on the property was used as the office for the international adoption agency she founded. A group of us from the Alice Paul Institute made an appointment for a tour, so one of Buck's dgts gave us the tour. Pearl and Alice were acquaintances.

I particularly liked this bio of her

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-S-Buck-Cultural-Biography/dp/0521639891/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482019449&sr=1-1&keywords=pearl+buck%2C+Conn

ginny

• Administrator
The Library
« Reply #17716 on: December 18, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »
No, and we lived at one point less than 26 miles from her home.  I can't imagine why I never went, I'm a big fan of hers.

I will remedy that the next time I'm in the area! How lovely for you with, did you say one of her daughters to take your group around!

I read the link but I disagree that the two sequels to The Good Earth are not available or are virtually lost, you can get them in several formats on Amazon. I am feeling the need to read the trilogy again, so MANY things in it speak to today. I just love Pearl Buck's writing, it's timeless.

Yesterday I picked up one of the yellowing old paperbacks I keep  in a Christmas Mystery section I have. It's the second in a series called Murder for Christmas. I THINK that Charlotte MadLeod edited the first one. But this one I've never read.

The date on it is 1982. The first story was one by Ngaio Marsh and that makes me recall how GOOD she really was as an author, and I enjoyed it tremendously, old mansion, locked house, despised master killed, and I like her Roderick Alleyn as detective. It's called Death in the Air.

The second story is by Woody Allen (yes that Woody Allen). Although I acknowledge his genius in movie making, I don't really want to read anything he's written, so skipped that one and  now am reading Cambric Tea by Marjorie Bowen. Sir Harry  Strangeway in his Manor in a blizzard  keeps insisting somebody is trying to poison him, if he keeps on he'll ruin everybody's Christmas.  Sounds like my cup of tea even IF it's in the 70's here today (?!?)

Our issues on the site persist. Jane suggests that you choose the Default link when the error message comes up, but then you do have to go somewhere else to see your post. Still it's better than nothing as we try to fix it.

I have 15 tomatoes here on the island in the kitchen, of the 30 I picked when it went down in the 20's and they ARE ripening. I knew they would, once they start lightening up they are good to go, so we'll have one today in a salad for lunch.

Ho ho ho!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17717 on: December 18, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17718 on: December 18, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »
I did a Pearl Buck rereading splurge a while ago and was organizing my books recently, didn't realize how many of hers I have. Loved her as a youth.  Thought she was a bit repetitive on rereading and got a bit tired of the constant portrayal of the stoic woman. Also found Pearl Buck in China (Hilary Spurling),a totally fascinating book.  What a childhood.  But I'm glad I wasn't she! (And I can see how the ideal stoic woman concept developed.)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17719 on: December 18, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
Callie, I meant to say no I haven't seen LaLa Land, what a strange title but the way they are going on about it, it seems something nobody should miss. Let us know what you decide?  AND A very merry birthday to you next Friday!!

So close to Christmas!!!

So cute, Barbara. Is that your cat? You couldn't get ours to pose like that.  We're not cat people but we have a beautiful tiger striped barn cat who lives the lap of luxury ever since he fell thru a hole in the barn roof as a kitten and his mother (who was uglier than sin) abandoned him. He loves to ride on the golf cart, he's 11 this year. But MAN will he take a chunk out of my husband whom he appears otherwise to love.

Dana, did you have the one about the Ghost? I am looking forward to it, never heard of it. She had some life, the more I read about her the more impressive she is. I think I have the Spurling book and have never read it. I feel a Pearl Buck jag coming on.

(Have you looked at Mango, the APP? Somebody wrote me this morning they are doing ancient Greek on it and I looked and behold it has Koine and Ancient Greek. I wonder what you would think of it?)

OMG! I think Marcie must have fixed the posting problem!!

She DID, she did, it's fixed. Super Marcie to the rescue! I do not know what we'd do without Marcie and Jane.