Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1970469 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #23880 on: April 08, 2024, 08:12:45 PM »
I noticed the same thing Barb. But it didn't seem too bad, probably because I have both the e-reader and three HD Fires. Do not ask me how I ended up with three HD Fires. Anyway they really did it with the Audible books, though. They changed the formatting so that the newer audiobooks are not compatible with the Windows 10 app I have. So I was eventually able to download and install the newer version of the app onto my laptop which has Windows 11. Unfortunately, I got an email a week or two ago from Amazon saying they are discontinuing the Amazon Store app on Windows 11 and any apps downloaded via it will no longer be supported in 2025 sometime. Any apps downloaded my show some deterioration in the meantime. But, great news, you can still download stuff from the appstore on your Kindle and Fire devices.  I have one credit left on Audible. I am very seriously considering discontinuing that service too (I already discontinued Amazon Prime last October). I liked downloading everything onto my Windows as a backup (not that I don't trust Amazon or anything) because my Audible books don't seem to stay downloaded on my Kindle HDs. Periodically I have to redownload stuff. I don't know why that happens. I know all the books are stored up on Amazon in my account, but I don't trust that will last forever or when I kick the bucket, whichever comes first.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #23881 on: April 08, 2024, 09:21:27 PM »
I also played around with discontinuing Prime however, decided against it... for at least 30 years now I've had good luck treating most of my health issues with herbs. Had to learn a lot but worth it... I'm going through now with the eye doctor what seems to be the pattern which is I am allergic to most prescription meds and am sicker from the reaction than I was the issue being treated -  plus the herbs and bathroom supplies at this stage of life I have gifts delivered directly from Amazon and the security of Prime with their quick deliveries and no charge deliveries is worth the annual fee --- however, if the fee continues to increase I will actually add up how often it was important - although I think without Prime there is a delivery fee and I will need to look at how that would add up...

I'm aware, been through this, that after the inflation settles down prices NEVER go back down - salaries increase and there is more competition so services become less costly but by and large the prices no longer increase by leaps and bounds but they do not go back down - and so no longer working to add capitol plus if inflation stops that also means the interest on things like CDs decreases therefore, I'll not have any more buying power. I really need to put a freeze on buying any more books as well as other non-essentials and let the higher interest rate accumulate for the rest of the year. Wait and see by Christmas of 2024 the average Novel will be at least $25 if not $29 and the kindle version will be 15.99 to 18.99 - Well it is time to finally tackle my TBR pile. I don't know why I keep adding books but the new stories published really sound intriguing.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #23882 on: April 09, 2024, 06:03:49 AM »
Fortunately, I have acquired many books over the years that I have yet to read. I still have a lot of them even though I must have given away almost half of what I had before the move. Mostly those were books I have read and decided I won't be reading again or ones I decided my interests have changed enough that I will not likely read them. Oh, and most of my cookbooks since I don't do a lot of cooking anymore.  Anyway, there is also the online library, and I am not far (seems I am not far from almost anything now) from the Mechanicsburg branch of my library system. So, at least for now, buying books is not on my agenda.

The cookbook collection I had got severely cut for the move for lack of space, much less interest in cooking, and the plethora of recipes online.  My sister is adept at finding and making dishes from recipes she finds online (she has a computer in her kitchen). That is something I have not gotten the hang of yet. Even though I  would find and print out recipes, I rarely actually used them, and I haven't liked trying to read recipes from my tablets. The apartment kitchen is too small to put my laptop in there to read a recipe directly from online. Excuses for not wanting to cook like I used to, I think. Sue has also noticed a lack of interest in cooking like she used to. This, I believe is a result of not having anyone to regularly cook for anymore and/or trying to pair down a recipe for just one. Sue is not fond of eating left-overs so she tries not to make things or buy things she will end up throwing out. Sue likes to eat out and her network of friends gives her the opportunity to do so, sometimes as many as three or four days out of the week. There appear to be a lot of like minded souls these days.

bellamarie

« Reply #23883 on: April 09, 2024, 02:04:25 PM »
Hmmm... I wonder what happened to the post I posted yesterday??  I mentioned how I have never read any books by Atwood until this short story and tried watching The Handmaid's Tale a few years ago when it was all a buzz and couldn't get through the first half hour of the first season's first episode.  I guess that should have told me she was not my style of writer. 

We completed our sip n chat book Rebuilt Faith with Fr. Jim and he wants to keep the group going so he is going to give us a new book that will take us to the celebration of Corpus Christi.  I was only able to attend just two of the six weeks and truly enjoyed getting to know Fr. Jim better, and the rest of those who came.  It's mostly for retirees since it is held on a weekday in the morning, and they agreed to change the day so I will be able to make it since Friday is my day to spend with our great grandson Haze, and Wednesday I am free.  Fr. Jim informed us our CCD religious director will be retiring and asked me if I would consider taking her paid position.  I immediately said no!  I told him I have been teaching CCD for over 30 yrs. and have been with the parish for 40 yrs. and during those years I have taken the leadership position in various areas, and I just don't have it in me to begin something of this magnitude again.  I am willing to continue to teach, but the directorship would require far too much time and learning for me.  Luckily, I did hear later someone younger is interested in taking it on as it should be the younger generation stepping up and getting involved as my age group has done it for all these years.

Barb, I considered cancelling my Amazon Prime as well, but I must say it pays for itself in no shipping costs alone.  I am excited a new used bookstore opened this past Fall just minutes from my house, so I am able to get some really good books at great prices.  I also do purchase from Thrift Books which has great prices on used like new books. 

Frybabe, I too am not into cooking as much as I used to.  To be honest once my hubby retired, he sort of took over cooking dinner and we do eat out much more than usual. I do the cooking for holidays when the kids and grands come over, and I do still like to try new recipes from online.  I bookmark them and when I am ready to cook, I take my laptop into the kitchen and have it on the counter so I can follow the recipe.  We eat so much less that eggs and bacon satisfy us some nights rather than cook a meat, potato, vegetable meal.  If we do an omelet, we add the veggies and cheese.  Life is so much simpler.

My TBR stack of books is down to only a few since I gave so many away after the flood in my basement/family room last summer, so I am scrambling around trying to find my next read.  I am so tired of historical fiction.  Any good suggestions? 

My neighbor, hubby and I sat out and watched the Solar Eclipse which was quite fascinating.  I turned my back to the sun, and reversed my iPhone camera and got some really interesting pictures and video of the eclipse.  It got to almost total blackness to the point all the neighbor's lights were coming on.  It lasted about 6 minutes with the temperature dropping from 72 degrees to 50 degrees which caused us to have to run in and get some throw blankets to cover up in.  This pic is at 3:00 p.m. as two thirds of the sun is covered.  Looking through the safety glasses it showed the actual black and orange colors.  History in the making here on Seniorlearn!  (Anyone feel free to resize but please don't delete.) 

Okay, I must scoot and go look for a new big screen tv since my 20 yr. old one went totally black yesterday after the eclipse.  My neighbor warned me weird things with our devices were expected to happen so when I called to tell her she was convinced it had something to do with the eclipse...I giggled and said, "I think it has more to do with it's 20 yrs. old."   ;D ;D

Ciao~  Bellamarie
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23884 on: April 09, 2024, 03:29:05 PM »
Well it is just not me - I thought I was loosing it and maybe I just thought I posted - reviewed my other connections where I spoke of this new book and no where did I find anything - you also Bellamarie posted and the post was no longer there... whew at this stage in life it is easy to imagine the worst about memory... Ha let's blame it on the eclipse  ;)

I must say even though we experienced a thunder rain storm beyond typical I wonder if the eclipse did affect technical connections - I had shut down my computer however attached to the Wifi is the big screen TV and last night when I turned it on the screen was black for nearly 5 minutes - thought oh no... but left it on while I pushed that red button in on the Wifi whatever box and then made sure the computer was up and running which it was - by the time I did all that The TV sorta came and by hitting a button here and there it came back as if nothing happened.

As to the post that disappeared I was going on about a book that had been delivered late yesterday - A Tree A Day - just lovely, one page a day for 365 days with a lovely photo and tidbit that talks about an aspect of a tree or a specific well known tree - a lovely daily that I was tempted to read ahead till I realized the satisfaction of experiencing anticipation - yesterday's one page bit was about Burls, how they are formed, what they are and that craftsmen love to use them for projects and today is all about Tea Trees that I did not know they are tall trees that are trimmed to max 5 feet bush size so tea pickers can more easily reach the new growth leaves that have the most flavor - the book was written by Amy-Jane Beer a naturalist, biologist and writer - the book would make a great daily diary although I hate writing in a book - if a paper back I used to underline points of attention but now I don't even like to do that - the pages are dated without the day of the week ascribed, so the book could be used over and over.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #23885 on: April 10, 2024, 10:54:01 AM »
Barb, after reading you were able to get your TV picture back I decided to try a few different things to see if I could get mine back.  I finally called Direct TV and we video chatted so he could see the cables, remote and black box.  He walked me through every possible fix and determined what I feared that it was my TV not on their end.  Since we bought this TV in 2001, I guess it's time to put it out to pasture. My neighbor was telling me she was just looking at 3D TVs that make you feel like you are actually walking in the scenes.  Goodness, can you imagine that!  My granddaughter is a member of Sam's Club and offered to let us use her membership card if we want to check TVs out there, she said they have great prices.  I've never shopped in Sam's Club so we shall see.  Wish me luck.

Still deciding on a book to begin, with all the chaos I haven't had a chance to see what I have on my TBR list.

Ciao~  Bellamarie   
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23886 on: April 10, 2024, 11:46:44 AM »
Ah the one good thing about something Tech passing on is the new has more whistles and bells then we could have imagined. Some shows I could see the fun of feeling as if we were in the middle of it however haha do we see the director and wires and cameras and coffee stand that would be the typical set where things are filmed? Will I be ducking everytime there is a line drive hit by the man at bat? Oh my... well until I see this phenomenon my kid like doubtful nature can have some fun.

Another wild storm last night so that our electricity only came back about 2 hours ago - need to hustle now - appointment just after noon... Did start what I call a chit chat book last night - had me and so I ended up reading half the book in one sitting...

The Last List of Mabel Beaumont - like most light reads little life dramas amid ordinary life experiences - she is unexpectedly widowed (as all passing is unexpected even if her husband was 89) - does a good job of chronicling her feelings, confusion, past memories and she is now coming out of it with the assistance of a daily not sure what she was called but a service her husband had arranged and paid for which is one breath shocked her since it indicated he had a clue that he did not share that his time was coming near and in the other breath it was typical of him since he took her under his wing so to speak from the day they married which came about when she was 16 and he was 19. He had been a good friend to her brother who had died and he was there for her. The girl her brother was going to marry was her best friend Dot who disappeared to London never writing after Mabel attempted over and over - she finds a note written by her husband that is a list of things to do including Find Dot - and so that is what she is doing with the help of this daily now new friend. With others becoming part of her new orbit the story appears to be the blossoming of Mabel.

OK gotta run... 

Tomereader1

« Reply #23887 on: April 10, 2024, 09:25:25 PM »
That's called a "spoiler alert".
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23888 on: April 11, 2024, 05:45:59 AM »
Wow - finished reading The Last List of Mabel Beaumont half way in and your hit over the head with other aspects of life and close to the end there is a complete shock that hits Mabel and an ending that in someway is predictable and other ways oh oh oh... It was a gripping story - easy to read - full of tidbits of wisdom as most chit chat books are... not a hahaha book and that is what I hoped for - not sure now if I will look for a haha book to read or tackle something - I think I am still stunned to make a decision - hmm actually I have several that are a third to a half read that I set aside and may just finish off one or more of those...

bellamarie

« Reply #23889 on: April 11, 2024, 01:09:41 PM »
Barb, you assessment of having a 3D TV had me laughing out loud.  lol
"Will I be ducking everytime there is a line drive hit by the man at bat?

Could you just imagine watching a thriller movie and the person jumping out of a dark space and you feel as if he is attacking you?  No, thanks I feel it would be for the people who enjoy the thrill of being a part of the action and I don't think I am one of them. My neighbor has no fear and places herself in very dicey unsafe spots when she is out and about approaching and chastising homeless for not working rather than standing in front of stores begging for money all day long.  I've told her so many times she is putting herself in harm's way. 

Fr. Jim gave me the new sip n chat book yesterday and its title is Beautiful Eucharist by Matthew Kelly.  I love Matthew Kelly's books there is one I read I Heard God Laugh that helped me see God's sense of humor in situations.  I'm looking forward to the beginning of this next sip n chat, it's what we would call a book club group and I'm enjoying it so much. 

Ciao~  Bellamarie 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23890 on: April 12, 2024, 03:59:17 AM »
Looked into Beautiful Eucharist by Matthew Kelly and found it would require the song and dance of using the Amazon website without the full benefits of Kindle and therefore the likelihood of my actually reading the book was slim to none. However, it nudged me to read another chapter from Lessons From Saint Benedict Finding Joy in Daily Life by Donald S Raila -

Had not picked up a tidbit that this reading made clear - St. Benedict was about creating order which included the monks arriving on time for prayer however, they often overslept - He tried to accommodate his sleepy monks by at time starting prayer at a later time and at other times shortening the prayers so that those writing the liturgy would have several versions of prayers - at the time 8 communal daily prayers was typical however St. Benedict had a plan for 6 communal daily prayers as well as for the 8. Reminded me that nothing is really set in stone as the saying goes - that back in the 5th and 6th century St. Benedict was adjusting tradition. Nothing I read makes mention how the reduced communal daily prayers or the shorter prayers affected the monks devotion and fulfillment of their vows.

And then of all things one of the many ads from Simon & Schuster included a couple of interesting sounding books and decided to get a copy of The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan who must be one of the 10 children in the Ryan household mostly all born in the late 1940s and 50s, poor as church mice as the saying goes -

This is the time in history after WWII when the idea of a woman working outside the home was considered a mortal sin - instead Mr. Ryan's salary barely covered expenses plus it had to include the expense of his heavy drinking - Mrs. Ryan entered every contest she found - the talent of Mrs. Ryan was beyond her ability with ideas and words but how to adjust the winning jingles to those she learned were hired to make the choice - she also did not allow the container for a single product used by the family to hit the trash without removing the labels that she saved since her admissions had to be accompanied by the label for the product and she had a slew of ways to write her name so she could enter every contest more than once.

Her wins kept the family going with winning prizes arriving often a day or two after a similar item saw its last and some financial wins that saved the family -  much of the times described is familiar from the products, to the way of life - this was my time - married in '52 and all three of my children born in the 50s - Mrs. Ryan was indomitable but frankly I think most of us were at the time however she had a talent and the insight few of us had so that today she would easily be running one of those companies that produced the products we depended upon.

Terry Ryan has written a gem that takes what was their life and could easily have made it into a soap opera of misery that does include a drinking father, Korean War Vet back when returning soldiers sucked it up or drank - instead the book is bringing out how it was when victimhood was the last thing on the minds of those struggling through and instead even kids used their creativity to make a life. I'm enjoying the memories that the names of the products and some of the jingles and what we all had in common during the time after a WW very soon followed by Korea cast its shadow on the nation.

Frybabe

« Reply #23891 on: April 12, 2024, 06:08:02 AM »
Barb, I enjoyed your paragraph about St. Benedict. Interesting history there. And I do remember the Ryan story. I do not remember how long ago I had heard (read?) about the ingenious Mrs. Ryan. There was a movie, but I do not think I ever saw it. Terry passed away from cancer in 2007. She was just a year and a quarter older than me. Here is a lovely news article about Terry Ryan following her death. https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Author-Terry-Ryan-60-dies-in-S-F-home-2560115.php

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23892 on: April 12, 2024, 01:08:09 PM »
Thanks frybabe - you are familiar with the Ryan's story --- it was new to me - Cancer is the monster for so many - you must be of a similar age to my daughter - she turns 70 May 1... neither of us can believe... we cannot believe either of our ages - it looks like her boys have whatever this gene is that makes us look much younger than our years - Her Cade is one of those who wears a beard and mustache just to add a few years to his look - two of Paul's boys have that young look but not as much Paul - Physically yes, but he turned gray and then almost totally white back in his 50s... just hit me he will turn 65 this year - that means his oldest Chris will turn 35 - good grief and none of them are married - a different world...

bellamarie

« Reply #23893 on: April 12, 2024, 06:20:44 PM »
Barb,
back in the 5th and 6th century St. Benedict was adjusting tradition.
I am shocked, everything seemed to be "set in stone."  And to think due to them oversleeping, now that's unimaginable.  I would have expected they would get a good lecture on getting up on time to make the daily prayers.

I have never heard of the Ryan family, and I live about an hour from Difiance, Ohio.  This came up when I did a search for the Ryan family.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=The+Ryan+family+from+difiance+ohio&ia=web

You have piqued my interest. I may have to check this book out.  And Frybabe, that was a wonderful article, thank you.  Creating jingles for products and getting paid or winning and receiving valuable prizes sounds like it would have been a lot of fun along with being a means to help the family.

Barb, I turned 71 years old last July, and can't believe you have a daughter so near my age.  My daughter the oldest of the three is 51 yrs. old and just saying that brings a shiver up my spine.  Yet, when my hubby and I spend the day with our almost 2 yr. old great grandson chasing after him we sure do feel our age.  He bolts like lightening, and we have to tag team him to keep up with his quickness.  We generally come home and crash on Fridays.  lol

Well, when we dropped little Haze off, I asked my granddaughter (his Mom) if she had any interesting books to share and she gave me two to borrow by the same author, one is The Housemaid by Freida McFadden, and the other is The Perfect Son.  She told me to read The Housemaid first. 

An absolutely addictive psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist. 

Read what everyone's saying about The Housemaid:
"I got severe whiplash from the twistiest turns... Every time I thought I had it figured out... WRONG!!!... I am still reeling... outstanding... If you love a top notch psychological thriller that will have you questioning your own sanity, then this 5-star read is for you" NetGalley reviewer, FIVE STARS

"What a wild ride!!! Freida definitely delivered the best twisty ending... Gripping from start to finish... honestly, I just could not put it down... An absolutely mind-blowing shocker that kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat literally until the very end" Goodreads reviewer, FIVE STARS

"So many twists and turns... I was hooked right away - I even read my Kindle while waiting in my kid's school pick-up line so I wouldn't have to put this book down!... addictive... pure perfection!" Goodreads reviewer, FIVE STARS

https://www.amazon.com.au/Housemaid-absolutely-addictive-psychological-jaw-dropping/dp/1408728516

Sounds like just the kind of book that will keep me busy this weekend.

Ciao~  Bellamarie

Tomereader1

« Reply #23894 on: April 12, 2024, 08:25:45 PM »
The movie about The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio is very good too.  I enjoyed it more than the book.
"The Housemaid" psychological thriller is right up my reading alley!  I'm sure my library has it.

The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23895 on: April 12, 2024, 09:43:31 PM »
Tra la - thanks for saying that about the movie Joanne - found it on Amazon as a rental for only .77 but also found it free on Pluto - if there is a way to automatically click it onto my watch list I don't know how but I bet if I simply work it out on that link where you can ask for certain programs it will come up...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23896 on: April 12, 2024, 11:17:42 PM »
OK Bellamarie - I too was astonished - this is quoted from the Book...

"There is no hard-and-fast formula for salvation, but the Rule does provide a stable, time-tested way for opening one’s being to the daily call of God that beckons one to a growing, vibrant fellowship with Christ.

The Rule is a document of spiritual wisdom that, taken all together, can help to open the human heart to the mystery of God Himself.

Besides calling for “good order,” the Rule itself tells us that there will always be disorders in monastic (and Oblate) communities and that even (in an ideal community) when there is “good order,” God’s order draws us beyond our limited human conception of order, valid though it may be as a way to live the Gospel. It seems that monks in Saint Benedict’s monasteries regularly disrupted the ideal order.

It was known that monks would “presume to defend their own views obstinately” at community meetings. Some monks even presumed to contend with their abbot. Saint Benedict had to legislate for restraint of speech because there were occasions when monks used “vulgarity and gossip.” Throughout the Rule there are descriptions of disordered situations that Saint Benedict encountered...regulations...passages about the Divine Office may be especially pertinent regarding this matter.

After prescribing the arrangement for Sunday Vigils in great detail, Saint Benedict mentions that it “should be followed at all times, summer and winter, unless—God forbid—the monks happen to arise too late. In that case, the readings or responsories will have to be shortened.”

He likewise instructs the monks that at the beginning of Vigils, Psalm 95 should be “said quite deliberately and slowly” since any monk who arrived after the concluding “Glory be” was to be punished. Thus, while Saint Benedict loathes the disorders of late rising and late attendance and has prescribed penalties for such lateness, he also expresses charity in his readiness both to shorten readings (to avoid monks’ suffering from an excessively prolonged Office) and to do what he can to keep stragglers from being officially late. Above all, charity must prevail! Perhaps God’s order may even require a certain amount of human disorder. The breaking in of His love often demands the superseding of human norms, the embracing of inconvenience, and sometimes even the enormous sacrifice of well laid-out plans so that He can overcome our prideful attachment to apparently water-tight schemes for satisfaction and salvation. He must teach us, too, that we are not self-sufficient."

The author adds his viewpoint at the end of the chapter as a Benedictine living and studying the Rule and the life of St. Benedict -

"However, order alone is not sufficient to bring us closer to God, for His grand order, as revealed by Jesus Christ, is vastly beyond our sense of order.

If, as in Our Lord’s parable about the sower of the seed, we provide only a footpath or rocky ground or thorns and thistles, then we had better work at our attitudes and environment to render ourselves better disposed to obey God. Beyond that, however, we need to be cautious of clinging to our well-established order. We need to be ready to surrender to God’s order. When others take more of our time than we expect, we must extend ourselves in charity, at least for a little while. When others have misplaced items that we need, our reminders to them should be marked by patience and personal concern. When we become frustrated over our own errors, we need to bring to the Lord our fallibility, vulnerability, and littleness and seek the grace to rely on Him more instead of trusting in our own mental and physical skills. Even regarding our sins, while we do need to repent and do better every day, we also need to accept our poor selves in all their miseries and disorders and then welcome Christ to bring us the healing and forgiveness that He so desires to lavish upon us.

Yes, our sense of good order can reflect God’s all-wise plan for us... His rule of love must be allowed to prevail over even our best laid-out plans."

Raila, Donald. Lessons from Saint Benedict: Finding Joy in Daily Life

Just hit me those sleepy monks - the Rule is that daily 1/3rd prayer, 1/3rd study and 1/3rd labor - if the labor in the fields, orchards or sitting with a cow calving - after a few days of heavy labor could be exhausting so the body says hold on - we need sleep to repair some of that exhaustion - I'm remembering after my daughter was born exactly 9 months and 6 weeks after my oldest Peter - back then you had to make formula and in bottles put it in a pot with water to steam  for 15 minutes which sitting on the sofa was enough time for me to fall sound asleep waking up to smelling rubber burning - water boiled away and the pot exploded - formula was dripping from the double height ceiling (converted Barn) with a nipple hanging at the end of each formula stalactite. 

All I had was two small bottles of sterile water and for the first 6 months of her life Katha incessantly cried (I thought it was a natural reaction to her difficult birth) but no bottles to even start over. Husband drove into town and started pounding on the door of Drugstore at 5: in the morning - woke druggist who lived upstairs - he was so accommodating and before 6: had a fresh batch of formula on the stove- All to say that sometimes the body takes over regardless good intentions to wake as required.

bellamarie

« Reply #23897 on: April 13, 2024, 04:53:41 PM »
Tomereader, I know I am beginning to really get into the psychological thrillers lately.  I'm so tired of historical fiction, romance novels are okay for beach reading or by the pool, and I am staying as far away from any political books, so the thrillers are becoming a great read for me.

Barb, I don't know whether to laugh, frown, or just out right yell at the attitude of St. Benedict, the monks or the author.  Obedience is of utmost importance in growing in a relationship with God, and seems these monks were not only lazy, but disobedient to the rules and the prayer times set with no respect or regard for those who are on time.  They are an order who live on the grounds so there is no rushing to drive somewhere, so they just decided to sleep in.

Yes, learning to be flexible is important in our daily lives, and I can admit our parish has given all of us parishioners reason to sleep in and not make mass with the changing of our pastors and priests in the past 4-5 years.  We are at our wits end because with the changes of clergy came changes in mass times, and for my church Regina Coeli, they began twinning us this past year with an area church St. John the Baptist.  I have talked with our new appointed newly titled Parochial Administrator (Pastor) Fr. Jim Mormon about how these changes have affected our attendance and lifelong members leaving to find a mass time that best suits their schedules.  Imagine if the monks decided that!  lol

My hubby is on the pastoral council and from the happenings these past few months everything seems to be pointing to the two churches merging closing St. John the Baptist since Regina Coeli has a campus, larger parking lot, newer church, easier access and over a million dollars of renovations done in the past four years.  The Diocese nor Bishop Thomas would never have approved that spending had they intended to close R.C.  This last pastoral council meeting just this week consisted of inviting St. John's parish council members to come and discuss issues we are all dealing with and merging some programs such as CCD.  Let me just say, they were very concerned with how this twinning is going and where it leaves us in the future. 

This is a mouthful and an eye opener to today's world and our present situation with the declining of priests and the closing of churches.

Barb,
If, as in Our Lord’s parable about the sower of the seed, we provide only a footpath or rocky ground or thorns and thistles, then we had better work at our attitudes and environment to render ourselves better disposed to obey God. Beyond that, however, we need to be cautious of clinging to our well-established order. We need to be ready to surrender to God’s order.

God knows I am trying even though I am also feeling a bit like the monks and give into sleeping in.  We have honestly jumped around these past two years between at least four Catholic churches to make mass due to the time changes.  They even change our holiday masses at the drop of a hat which had us having to search all the churches around our area to go to Christmas Vigil since we have always gone to 5:30 p.m. and straight home for the Christmas Eve family gathering.  We have always gone to Easter Sunday mass and this year it was Easter Vigil due to time changes.  Ughhh... it is maddening, I told my hubby I have grown the patience of Job.

I'll just respond to this and then I need to shove off.

"There is no hard-and-fast formula for salvation, but the Rule does provide a stable, time-tested way for opening one’s being to the daily call of God that beckons one to a growing, vibrant fellowship with Christ.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Ciao~  Bellamarie

p.s.  God bless your husband and the druggist who woke up to help him.  Many a times us moms would fall asleep if given just a few minutes to sit after a colicky baby finally falls to sleep.  Love you sharing your experience. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23898 on: April 14, 2024, 12:05:03 PM »
Barb, you made my morning with your vivid picture of the exploded formula.  Took me a while to stop laughing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23899 on: April 14, 2024, 03:21:48 PM »
Pat yep, an after-event reaction - what stuck out for me is neither of us heard anything that must have sounded like a small bomb - found the lid in the hallway adjacent to the kitchen and the empty blackened pot tumbled under the kitchen table which as a young couple making ends meet I ended up using an SOS pad and cleaning it up - today young couples would have replaced it when they purchased the new formula however, I doubt they would find the owner of a drug store living upstairs from his establishment - who forever more would ask after our babies -

Yes these long, the best way to describe stalactites at various lengths with the nipples hanging at the end of each - one nipple had fallen onto the gas stove and as it burned woke me - not the noise and clatter of the explosion mind you - and then rustling up my husband who was working 4 jobs - one as an engineer with IBM - one at night making pizza at the local drive-in movie - one selling fire extinguishes door to door on Sunday and one helping to muck out a horse stable for a local farmer on Saturday - then we had to borrow a long ladder from that farmer to get up to the ceiling to clean up the mess... Today we would have taken a photo with an Iphone and sent it in for at least to be admired online but it probably would have made a piece of art for a museum - Lordy

I was never one for quoting the Bible as the custom seems to be doubling down of late but the episode reminds me of, "I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things." and then another seeing the incident with tongue and cheek this quote from the Bible, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" evidently we were not weary enough to be allowed rest - even I'm giggling writing this.

P.S. back then engineers were the lowest paid employees - the salary for a line-worker was significantly higher...

Fran

« Reply #23900 on: April 15, 2024, 03:37:11 PM »
Hi everyone, I really enjoyed reading all of the above pertaining to the days
Of formula making, especially with our second daughter who was very much affected with colic, it was the best chuckle of my sometimes lonely day!
    Fran

Frybabe

« Reply #23901 on: April 16, 2024, 06:57:58 AM »
Hi Fran, nice to see your note. What have you been reading lately?

Things are settling down enough for me get back to reading more. I am still enjoying The Far Pavilions. It is a good thing it is an audio edition otherwise I would never get through the whole thing. Still reading the biography of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. Meanwhile, I have begun adding to my online library wish list. This morning I got introduced to Hanan al-Shaykh (Beirut Blues and Women of Sand and Myrrh), Bolu Babalola, (Love in Color, short stories), Aoko Matsuda, (Where the Wild Ladies Are, short stories), and Sara Nisha Adams (The Reading List) . Several weeks ago I added Jack Kerouac (Dr. Sax), Tan Twan Eng (The House of Doors) and Neal Gaiman (American Gods). And here I had worked my way down to about 30, now I am back up to 49 books on the list.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23902 on: April 16, 2024, 11:04:51 AM »
wow frybabe so many authors I had not heard of - I too am trying to whittle down the books I've on my pile - just the ones I started and only read a few pages would be a great start. I've never read Jack Kerouac but I had downloaded one of his books onto my kindle back sometime ago The Unknown - have no clue what it is about but it came up as on sale and so I went for it.

Hi Fran, glad you posted, what is happening in your life - are you reading or watching TV or glued to your computer... have you gotten to the point where your biggest outing is a visit to a doctor?

Of all things I watched Moonstruck last night - what a difference in the quality of both acting and telling a story in a movie in just a few years - it was not as I recall a big movie at the time however the acting was seamless - each of them was as good as it gets. And the shots of NYC were nothing like what we see of the city on TV today. I guess 1987 when the movie came into theaters was 37 years ago and now ancient history. The more I think on that yes, the NY skyline pictured shows the twin towers and so yes, a lot has changed.

Frybabe

« Reply #23903 on: April 16, 2024, 01:47:32 PM »
Up until this morning I have been avoiding looking at my book related emails. I got one this morning that I just had to check out, hence the new additions to my wish list. Notice that they are mostly international authors. Interesting/different perspectives, interesting tales (mythic and otherwise).

bellamarie

« Reply #23904 on: April 16, 2024, 03:45:03 PM »
Fran, it is so nice to hear from you.  My first born was a nightmare with colic until we found the right formula and also learned she also was allergic to almost everything in her bassinet.  Once we established that and changed her formula my nights got better.  Barb does know how to give a good visual in her posts.  I just loved reading how her hubby actually went out to the drug store and accomplished the mission of new formula.  Stick around we do post some dillies every now and then.  What book are you reading?  Which genres do you most like?

Frybabe, wow that certainly is a lot of books, and authors I have never heard of.  I had never experienced reading more than one book at the time until joining Seniorlearn and realizing its possible. 

Barb, I remember Moonstruck, and did not impress me back when it first came out, but then I never thought Cher was much of an actress, but I loved her music with Sonny.  Seems she took on a more serious dark side to her songs once he was gone. I saw her perform on tv recently and could not believe my eyes how she was dressed.  People say she looks good for her age, I sorta think she looked a bit ridiculous, but then she was always far out there.  lol I like aging gracefully because we sure can't stop it. 

Well, I think I have been scammed with my online order.  I received an email stating my package was delivered on Friday and there was no package.  I asked my mailman and he said he did not deliver any package to my house to check with the post office and they will track it.  I did a printout of the message and track number and my hubby being a retired mail carrier took it into our post office and spoke with the supervisor and manager and they said the tracking number would have a number 7 or 9 in front of it if it were legit.  I contacted the company and asked for a refund since I have not gotten my items and it looks like I will have to accept its likely a scam.  I am only out $42 but it is still so upsetting we are dealing with such fraud and dishonesty today. So, it's off to summer clothes shopping for new tops.  I knew it was too good to be true.  My daughter in law and granddaughter has ordered from the site so I decided to take a chance. Lesson learned!

Ciao~ Bellamarie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23905 on: April 17, 2024, 09:49:27 PM »
Hi, Fran!  It's good to see you here.  The more the merrier.  And we care about what's happening in your life as well as what you're reading. Many of us are just recovering from a sort of reading paralysis.  I know I am.

I didn't have any colicy babies, but I've known a few. It's hard to believe anything that small can be that loud, and turn that red, and even harder to believe that they''re going to be all right even if you can't calm them down.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23906 on: April 18, 2024, 12:54:14 AM »
Ouch Bellamarie $42 is not pocked change - something about being scammed makes it more difficult - one thing to loose $42 but to know someone scammed you brings up feeling vulnerable without a clue how to avoid what happened knowing there are no two scams alike - makes you cautious on all fronts - I don't like what is happening on a regular basis here of late and even retreating now that I can since my age limits me does not feel good - I feel jittery all the time not knowing what is about to happen next... just about stopped watching the news because it just added to the strange new world we are living in where we do not who to trust unless we have known them personally

Pat you bring up an issue that still worries me about how new moms are back to work so quickly - I just remember Katha needing to be held and rocked - regardless the cause - certainly crying as she did was not how Peter experienced his first months - thank goodness he was first and a good baby because it was easy to feel inadequate when no matter how much holding and all the rocking didn't help - the rocking chair had its fill and after at least a half hour and sometimes over an hour before there was calm for that little body. I'm thinking a mom today without time for herself and baby could easily just put the child in someone else's hands and so not to feel guilty would label the child having a problem suggesting a problem baby with colic so that there would be a distance created that then carries through - and that is assuming the person caring for the baby is doing what it takes to make the baby feel loved regardless the crying how it affects the future for the child --- just the thought again of all that uncertainty for both baby and mom - it is like reliving it all over again.

With Katha the one saving grace was I thought it was a gift - I forgot what it was called but she was born with a membrane covering her face so she could not breathe and was in an incubator for two weeks before I could take her home - we could hardly hear her cry at all one she first came home and so I thought her constant crying was natures way of strengthening her lungs because yes, over time there was no doubt when Kathamarie was crying.

Well nothing like Amazon changing the way I can read a book on kindle to stop what I've been wanting to stop and did not have the will power - now a new book that I think I would like to read I first download the sample to see if it comes up on my Computer version of Kindle and if not which means the song and dance of reading it on the Amazon website without any of the advantages like a word dictionary and so I skip it - if it is a must have then I'm looking at a used copy or if all else a new copy - one thing I am good at is keeping to my book budget.

Not reading as in fiction or history or a bio but a book on cursive writing - my handwriting is been haphazard at best since I've been just dashing off notes to myself or lists that probably I'm the only one who could read and at times I even struggle - well I owe a few letters and notes to people who in this day and age do not use email and I've put off long enough writing them letters and so a practice book of cursive will at least bring back some of what I've lost with so many years of using email or putting it on Word and then printing it out -

I suppose I could still do that but since they write on letter paper using cursive I really need to honor their effort - reminds me when I was a kid we still had inkwells and used stick pens with replaceable points. I always had braids and my mother was fit to be tied because often usually a boy sat behind me and dipped the end of my braid in his inkwell so it smeared across the back of my white uniform blouse every time I turned my head. Ink was not easy to get out of white broadcloth blouses - I remember the pans of blouses soaking - forgot what mom used for her soak because to use straight clorax weakens fabric - I remember getting my first fountain pen before we were allowed to use them in school - it was white pearl with a gold band around the top that screwed off - matching lead pencil - from my father as a Christmas present - was that gift ever special. I think I was only in the 3rd grade but thinking back I'm remembering taking what was called the Regents tests - we had to go to the local public school and sit skipping a desk between and take tests in various subjects - the testing lasted for a whole day and even as late as 8th grade taking the Regents tests we used a stick pen - the ink was in a glass container inside a receptacle that was part of the desk and always black ink where as, I had this thing of writing with my fountain pen using blue ink - did for years and years. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23907 on: April 18, 2024, 09:30:52 AM »
The pen you have to dip in ink is particularly hard on left-handed people.  Your hand moves over the ink before it's dry.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23908 on: April 18, 2024, 03:02:37 PM »
Yes I remember that - my sister is and was left handed and her long sleeve blouses used to be the same problem for Mom as the back of my blouse with ink where yes, it would be from writing with the school pen -

Pat does it make a difference with the ink that is in a fountain pen? Does not seem to be a problem for those using the Bic pens of today and other inexpensive available at most establishments that require your signature. I wonder if the difference is the inks in the pens or as adults left handed people learned how to navigate writing without smudging.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23909 on: April 18, 2024, 06:32:16 PM »
Yes, Barb, it makes  big difference.  The tip of what you call a fountain pen is just cut out of a cylindrical piece of metal, so there's room for a big drop of ink sitting there.  When you write a circular letter like o, or a script a, the wet circle pulls some of the blob into it, and you have a little bump of ink.  If you're right handed, you have a messy word, but if you're left handed, you also get to smear the ink wider on the paper, and dip your sleeve in it.  And you want to pick up more ink so you don't have to dip as often, but less ink so you don't make a mess. you aim for a happy medium.

The fountain pen has filled this cylinder with some material so the ink an only trickle out.

bellamarie

« Reply #23910 on: April 18, 2024, 09:43:12 PM »
Barb, yes this has me feeling vulnerable knowing I have been scammed, it makes me hesitant in ordering online.  I refuse to give up even if it's only $42.00.  I sent the company an email telling them the Post Office said the tracking number had to be a scam because it did not begin with legitimate numbers.  I asked for a refund since it is obvious I am not going to receive my items. I told them this is unacceptable and unprofessional. They emailed me saying my order cannot be cancelled.  I replied I did not want it cancelled I want a refund. I told them I will post in the comments on their social media ads letting others know what happened to me. I posted a few times under their ads saying I did not receive my order and am out my money. They emailed me and said since it seems the order is "lost" they will refund me the money, it will take 7-15 days to process.  We shall see if it's credited back to my account.  One good thing about social media is customers can comment and let others know and it turns people away from the site which costs them far more than my $42.  It's just a shame we live in a world such as this today. 

I quit watching the news almost four years ago I just go to sites I feel trustworthy online for updates.  We know who owns the majority of the television networks, so their narrative is what you are always going to get. 

Has anyone been keeping up with Kate Middleton's health after finding out she has cancer?   Here again we don't know what we can and cannot believe but I pray those three children do not have to lose their mother at such young ages as William and Harry did.  I was reading an article and learned her new title since Queen Elizabeth II died is now Catherine, Princess of Wales.Kate inherited the title from her late mother-in-law, Princess Diana, who was married to Prince Charles—now King Charles III—from 1981 to 1996.   

Kate additionally inherited another duchess title from Camilla following Queen Elizabeth’s death and King Charles’s subsequent accession. As with Wales, the Cornwall title is a courtesy title in direct line for the rank of king and queen.

It's interesting how many titles she now holds according to this article.    https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/latest/a42318980/all-princess-kate-middleton-royal-titles/

On the bright side...I did order an entertainment center/fireplace online from Walmart and it came early and once my hubby, and I took the entire day to put it together our new 65" smart tv fits and looks perfect on it!  I'm getting used to it not being on the wall and how much larger it is.  I feel like the people are so large they are in my living room, and the nature scenes are phenomenal.

Pat, the info on the ink pens and mechanisms are interesting.  I can only imagine the ink blobs dripping from the pen.  I was always fascinated with ink wells & feather pens but never actually got a chance to ever use one.  For my granddaughter's 13th birthday, I bought her a very nice ink pen & journal set.  It came in a beautiful box, and she loved it! She was familiar with the brand name Mr. Pen, and I was impressed she even knew of it.  You know you have been born with the gene to write when you can't get enough pens, pencils, markers and highlighters!

Fran, yes as PatH., mentioned feel free to share what is happening in your life.  We all see this as a chat/book club.  I remember years ago when we stopped actually choosing a book to read together to discuss and went to more of what we like to think of as a meet up cafe style chat session about our books and lives. Now we drop in when we can and have no time limit for going on to the next chapters in the book we would have been discussing. 

Ciao~  Bellamarie 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23911 on: April 18, 2024, 10:44:10 PM »
Bellamarie Have you or are you planning to purchase the magazine all about Kate Middleton since her announcement she has Cancer - available through Amazon

Princess Kate Middleton - Mom Life, Prince William, Next King & Queen, Home, Favorite Recipes, Style Evolution, In-Laws Relationship, Cancer Diagnosis, Surgery Recovery, Princess Diana Legacy & More! Single Issue Magazine – April 15, 2024

Looks like there is also a book to be released in August Catherine, the Princess of Wales: A Biography of the Future Queen by Robert Jobson

Ok Pat thanks and so there is a difference between the old straight pen with tips we used to buy in the 5&10 versus what we called a fountain pen with the chamber having as you are explaining a way to slow down the flow of ink. Don't remember having those blobs of ink but do remember how often I had to dip the pen to write a sentence - sure gave you time to think about your writing and how to phrase your words with the slow process of writing before other more advanced pens much less the computer made such a difference in the speed of getting thoughts on paper. Come to think on it now it makes sense why some writers prefer to handwrite on a yellow pad their upcoming books - handwriting slows you down giving you time to think.

Ha ha thought passed my mind as I was re-reading to check for spelling errors - ha talk about slowing down using the old fashioned stick pens with those tips that lasted for only weeks and we dipped into ink - really slow to gather thoughts and shapes of the letters were those who cut their thoughts in stone... which by the way have you Pat or anyone ever written on papyrus? Except in a museum I've never seen any although I remember years ago ordering special inks and that retail outlet sold sheets of papyrus as well as parchment paper that I have seen and once used for writing a Birthday message to my sister.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23912 on: April 19, 2024, 02:37:07 AM »
this library has thankfully stayed away from talking politics - we all have our viewpoints and our comradeship over books is what we are all about - and now the 'however', but not politics as such - the latest story that I have only heard about and have not seen the speech where Biden evidently spoke of an uncle eaten by cannibals during WWII -

I laughed with after all these years someone got him or he is tongue and cheek so the media newscasters all being younger did not get it...

WWII started in early December and I turned 9 in January - just to put this in perspective - It was a huge rumor mostly among the kids and then it spread but there was always one or more kid who knew it was not true, that airmen who were crashing into small islands all over the pacific landed on an island where cannibals still existed and among the kids who were taken in by the story as most of us were, and one of the kids said it was not true, one or more always said - well it could happen - and we all shook our heads in agreement. A 'So There' moment.

None of us knew that cannibals did not eat people willy nilly but that was the perception at the time - This story become so prolific in the nation among young and some older folks they finally had a story shown in the movie houses (that was where we got our visible news - the news was shown followed by some cartoons between the double feature that was typical - not one move as today) - anyhow the news special showed how the cannibals actually helped downed pilots and other ways they helped the allies during the war. and yes, the cannibals depicted had bones in their hair and some through the end of their noses.

Had to figure it out but if Biden is 81 and I'm 91 then he would have been born in 1943 - if I remember, this rumor came around '44 and during the summer months because there was no teachers to straighten us out and for sure our parents had no clue - anyhow the ones who told the story after it was known to be an exaggeration of an incident where a handful, I think 5 landed in the camp of cannibals they got other kids to believe the cannibals ate them the response was always gotcha - and so I'm smiling that Biden played the story and many were taken in or not, but did not question the story so much as if Biden actually had an uncle that the story would fit and so Biden played gotcha with the nation.

I don't know what is funnier - Biden getting away with telling the story or the media believing that such a story was legit and no one bringing up how the story originated during WWII and how the, I guess today it would be called a documentary - showed the helpfulness of the cannibals who if I remember lived in New Zealand, Borneo and some other island that was part of Indonesia... I'm still waiting for some newscaster to share the history of this but then I bet they can't without spoiling it for Biden who is probably relishing he gave a gotcha story to the nation.     

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23913 on: April 19, 2024, 03:25:06 AM »
a P.S. just in case you are not familiar with the practices of cannibals there was a second documentary that was available later that showed the culture and practice of cannibals - there is a big ceremony of certain dances and grunting like songs and something to do with hanging and being snapped from trees before a group goes after the enemy group - some say when the enemy is overcome they are taken back and roasted to eat which was to make the conquering group stronger by eating their enemy - others like Margaret Mead, who worked in Samoa suggest it is all a myth - the documentary showed that although they held the Japanese soldiers as their enemy they did not treat them as an enemy like other cannibal groups or tribes. There were stories after the war of how badly the Japanese soldiers treated captured cannibals. 

Frybabe

« Reply #23914 on: April 19, 2024, 06:39:13 AM »
Interesting Barb. I remember stories/tales about cannibals when I was young, but I'll be darned if I can remember any such related to downed pilots and or seamen. I do remember a story about how a group of native islanders worshiped planes (and pilots?) that overflew or landed on their island during the war, never having seen such before. That reminds me of the stories about people worshiping UFO's and/or their unknown occupants. Those cults lasted a only few years. You don't hear about them anymore. Any excuse to hold a party out in the sticks or on top of a hill, I guess. The only mention I run across now days is the speculation that some ancient cultures may have encountered UFOs and supposedly began to worship them or at least leave cave or rock art depicting them.

Well, the house is sold. Now I can focus on setting the apartment in order and acquiring one or two more bookshelves to replace those I didn't bring. I estimate that about a third of my print books went to Goodwill or to the library as donations (about 12 boxes worth). The only sections that seemed to have survived the purge are my ancient histories and my collection of biographies. Well, what DID I let go? Huh! Hard to remember now, but some of my science and natural history books, a few more cookbooks, and some fiction that I had already read and hung on to, including a few of my Scifi books.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23915 on: April 19, 2024, 01:22:14 PM »
Congrats on the sale of your house - will you be able to take the one time relief of capitol gains? Also if you are over 65 I think it is national - you can accumulate your property tax and yes, there is interest charged but it is low and then pay the entire bill when you either sell or die. We are a homestead state - not sure that Pa is... and as a homestead state part of our property tax is frozen in value at the value it is or was when we turned 65 or for me in this house the value it was when I moved in. This applies to only homestead states however accumulating your property tax I believe is national.

I'm also trying to purge books again - so far only a few but at least it is a start - the Disabled Vets here do a pickup twice a month and will take books as well as household items and clothing. I'm letting go of some of the Christmas books - thought I would have passed them down to great grandchildren but none of the boys are even married plus life has so changed glory only knows if the way we celebrated the feat of St. Nickolas on December 6 will even be a factor in their lives. That was how the collection of Christmas books became part of our tradition - one new book a year left at the fireplace along with a tidbit of something after the letters written by each were picked up.

Vaguely, I remember a movie frybabe about a group, I think in Australia or maybe Africa who encounter UFOs - was that the same movie where they also had this thing for airoplanes that they assumed was some sign from God?

Never did read Stendhal's Red and Black and it was referred to when reading Petrarch's Secret and so I've downloaded it and yes, added it to my TBR pile so to speak. Petrarch's Secret is an interesting read - although they lived almost a thousand years from one another he has a dialogue with St. Augustine - fascinating - I had read Petrarch years ago but do not remember the name of the book - I remember learning that at the time in history, in the very early 14th century the only way to obtain what we would call a Liberal Arts Collage Educated was to join a monastery but that did not mean after you completed your studies you were ordained a priest - He Francesco did not where as his brother Gherardo was ordained and did remain in the monastery - another thing he said that it took me awhile to mull over was it takes time to be a good Christian or at the time, since Luther had not changed things yet, a good Catholic. As I remember his father was a friend to Dante - Fourteenth century appears as an interesting and politically power hungry time in Italy and France - all these City States and then three Popes all vyng for power.

bellamarie

« Reply #23916 on: April 19, 2024, 07:17:07 PM »
Barb,
I don't know what is funnier - Biden getting away with telling the story or the media believing that such a story was legit and no one bringing up how the story originated during WWII and how the, I guess today it would be called a documentary - showed the helpfulness of the cannibals who if I remember lived in New Zealand, Borneo and some other island that was part of Indonesia... I'm still waiting for some newscaster to share the history of this but then I bet they can't without spoiling it for Biden who is probably relishing he gave a gotcha story to the nation.

Believe it or not Greg Kelly did cover this and said the uncle died when the plane he was in crashed.  He also like you included the age of Biden and how he would not have even known his uncle because he would have only been 2 yrs. old. He went on to explain what the cannibals were like back then stating what you did.  I immediately saw it as another fictious story.  lol

Frybabe, I am so happy your house is sold and now you can begin your new journey in your new apartment.  It has to be such a relief to have this all settled so quickly. 

My daughter in law sent me a picture of a house nearer to them and when I clicked the link, I could not believe my eyes.  I sat looking at a house that is way older than mine, the inside was all redone, but the outside would need a lot of work not to mention the yard was in sad shape.  It was listed for $259,000 as we know location, location, location!  My hubby and I both looked at it and said, no.  We did have Patio Enclosures come to give us an estimate on building us a 4-season sunroom and I was so excited until he came to the price of $74,000 and a 16-18 week start date due to building permits taking so long to approve everything.  When I said the price is way too high, he proceeded to give us 3 different discounts bringing it to $51,000.  The fact he started at $74K and worked downward (mind you this is not even them doing the footers and concrete floor and using our two existing outside siding walls) I questioned their trustworthiness.  We may put everything on hold and just have the patio done by our granddaughter's fiancé's company.  He will only charge us basically for the cost of materials which is $2,000.

Barb, I missed the magazine on Catherine Princess of Wales coming out.  I will most likely purchase it.  I have followed the Royal family since Charles married Diana.  I have the Ashton Drake doll collection of Princess Diana and also have a silver coin with Queen Elizabeth II on it a collector piece.  Thank you for mentioning it.

Ciao~  Bellamarie     

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23917 on: April 19, 2024, 08:27:30 PM »
Well I am sure glad someone told the real story of cannibals during WWII - I usually watch Greg Kelly but missed it last night - like when he ends his show with a clip of his two daughters that he obviously adores.

With mortgage rates being higher and therefore less homes being purchased even the news is saying many are staying put and adding or redoing the home they live in and so, I bet the contractor has more work then he had and therefore is dabbling with higher prices.  Part of it is probably costs with fuel high and going even higher it affects not only his travel to the work site but the cost of all his materials would be on the rise - Today's world it is difficult to know who to trust - I wonder if maybe your granddaughter's fiance will come across some contractors and can give you a heads up about their reputation.  I've some work that needs doing and not sure what to do - I'm thinking after the election things will settle one way or the other and I'll know better what to do...

Well I just came across a book by accident and loved reading the excerpt provided by Amazon - 5 and a half chapters - reads nicely written so it is not a struggle and she goes into so much historical detail that is so seamlessly done it is a joy - Decided to skip all news again tonight and will read this new Kindle version - yep, checked by downloading the sample to see if it would upload on my computer in the kindle and voila - again the cost of these kindle books is so much more expensive - thank goodness I had some points from having a delayed shipping on other things.

The Ride of Her Life - by Elizabeth Letts - A women in Maine - the last of her family to keep a family farm of about 200 acres - falls ill and scrounging to make enough money just to weather the brutal winters - she is told she has between 2 to 4 years left to live and like me had contracted TB before there were any antibiotics - big epidemic in 1938 and '39 - She never married and while ill where neighbors happened by during the winter snow and arranged to get her to the hospital she comes home after several months and weak or not, has to make some money - the story continues as her strength returns when in early fall she decides with taxes due on the land that she cannot pay to leave it all and travel to California to see the Pacific Ocean on horseback with her companion a dog - that is the broad outline - the book will go into describing her journey but all the tidbits I never put together that I'm finding fascinating and I'm learning I lived through a huge change in history.

Not only is the background of Maine described and how the Libby family is huge stemming from someone from England settling in Maine 250 years before the Revolutionary War and how the English aristocrats were deeded the land that they never even came to look at and how after the Revolution those who fought were told they could take the land as their payment for fighting but then there was almost a second war over the aristocrats wanting payment that ultimately they got.  And then what shocked me was in the 1950s the land changed completely - had been gradually changing starting in the 1830s as these small farms were no longer making a profit and the new manufacturing was creating larger cities and suburbs - well the 1950s not only was the end of small farms but the automobile completely replaced horse and buggy and walking -

I remembered as a kid we walked to everything - A Sunday visit from family included either dinner and a long walk with lots of conversation or they brought a special cake from the Bakery that we had with coffee or tea and then the walk followed by a cold cuts supper - no school buses, you walked - Horses or Donkeys or Asses pulling wagons full of hay or cotton was typical as was the milkman and the produce man and even the ice man and the coal delivery although the iceman was the first to have a covered truck -

Oh there were streets but hardly any vehicles and then during the war you had to have a sticker that allowed only a minimum of gas unless you were a doctor and so it was after the war all that changed with the highest number of new cars sold in 1954 - in this account the old wooden bridge as replaced with a concrete road bridge that caused her problems when she attempted to cross on horseback with no room on the bridge for walkers or those on horseback

On and on these little tidbits I lived through and I'm finding it fascinating to realize I lived through an era that I always marveled that my grandmother lived through a time change since she lived portion of her life before cars even existed much less airoplanes or the typical family had clothing that was store bought as the saying went.

And so all other reading has been shoved aside as I enjoy Elizabeth Letts book about Annie as she travels across the continent on horseback. I looked her up and she has written several books and so that I bet is why her writing is so smooth and easy to read.   

bellamarie

« Reply #23918 on: April 22, 2024, 01:12:32 PM »
Barb, you never fail to fascinate me with your stories of growing up. I truly believe you have a book inside you to write and share with the world.  I would be the first in line to buy it. 

Your viewpoints for my salesman were everything I would normally take into consideration except for the fact he clearly stated because they build their own products in their huge warehouse it makes it possible to be better priced since they cut out the middleman and shipping costs along with using our existing walls, and Ben doing the concrete work we are saving so much. When you ask a client upfront what they would expect and can afford to pay, and they say $30,000 if it's not possible I would think you would be honest and not take up 3 hours of their time knowing you are going to give a quote more than 2xs what they said.  Instead, he finishes his presentation, tells us how we are saving so much and then starts at $74K and keeps going down til he reaches $51k.  So, we are to assume if we weren't saving where he said we were he would have begun around $85k. 

When my hubby later mentioned we were hoping to actually have a room addition with a bathroom with a walk-in shower and laundry area he said, "That would cost you the same as the sunroom."  HUH???  I was totally baffled. I am so confused I said let's put this on hold for a bit.  It's sad because you just can't trust people to be honest.

The Ride of Her Life sounds interesting, but my first thought is how on earth will that dog survive the trek on horseback?

I had such a busy week I haven't gotten a chance to get into either of my books.  Our sip n chat begins Wednesday and so I better at least get a few chapters read of Beautiful Eucharist.  I did read a few pages of The Housemaid in the prologue: 

If I leave this house, it will be in handcuffs.  I should have run for it while I had the chance.  Now my shot is gone.  Now that the police officers are in the house and they've discovered what's upstairs, there's no turning back.  Or more likely, he's thinking about the dead body in the attic upstairs.

Did I mention my granddaughter loves psychological thrillers?  Well, I think I am in for a ride.  lol

Today is absolutely gorgeous and my flowers are bursting with all their beautiful colors so I think we will go to the Toledo Botanical Gardens and see what is popping out there.  I truly love this time of year where all signs of new life is springing up! 

Ciao~ Bellamarie

My bleeding hearts survived the many transplants. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23919 on: April 22, 2024, 02:41:43 PM »
I love bleeding heart - never got around to adding one in my garden

The Ride of Her Life - The horse and dog are great friends helping each other out when something spooks one or the other - the dog is problem she has not yet figured out an answer - to keep him safe from passing vehicles she has him on a long leach however he is used to running ahead or into the nearby fields and is straining against the leach or ends up wrapping himself around a tree that Annie on horseback has to circle trees to unwrap themselves - people are kind along the way in that if she stops to ask for some water they end up having her in for something to eat and one even had her in for supper and to stay the night putting her horse in their barn - I'm loving the description of the countryside and the bits of history that is woven into the story/journey.

There is a quote I'm vaguely remembering -something about life is the journey not the destination - that is what I am seeing here - since she has only a couple to a very few years to live her remaining life will be this journey using all the resources she has left having sold the farm at a give away price - $55.36 - yep, not $500+ nor $5000+ - leaving behind everything - generations of memories but since she is last in the family line with her death it would all have been left then and the land would have gone back to the state so at least she has something - this is her last hurrah as well as, her life playing out as a journey.