Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049133 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Library
« Reply #24080 on: August 10, 2024, 07:40:18 PM »
Yes, thank you for asking Bellamarie. The closure went well, just before the hurricane. Thankfully, the hurricane went mostly west of Wilmington, NC. No flooding to speak of in the area. Tushar was able to make the trip back up to NYC to supervise the moving people and turn in the keys to the landlord.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #24081 on: August 13, 2024, 05:27:56 PM »
From all I hear Bellamarie, although I have not seen the movie, the movie is supposed to be far less than reading the book - I downloaded the book long before he became a household name but only read the first chapter setting it aside - I remember when living in Kentucky and every Friday night the long long bumper to bumper traffic of parents coming from places like Ohio and Illinois back to the mountains to be with their children and then the long line that was not as bumper to bumper because folks left at different times but Sunday the highway had the traffic going north back to the states with jobs and so, that would have been the generation being brought up by grandparents that would be the age of J.D.'s parents - making it a couple of generations now that had that same experience of children living with grandparents in the mountains and of course those who left for work up north never really did fit in and were the butt of so many jokes - Hillbilly was the derogatory slang for being stupid, inbred, unwashed, poor, of which some of the poverty was simply living in isolated communities much as folks lived back in the 17 hundreds and 18 hundreds. Most of the music was and still is old, originally English and Scotch Ballads and even the way of speaking went back to that time in history.

I've many stories of bringing various aids to mountain communities through the Girl Scouts from Lexington including one summer where small groups of girls lived in a community to bring history to the community through nightly gatherings - most thought all native Americans were dead since their way of keeping abreast was watching movies and all the cowboy movies killed all the Indians - this was in the late 50s and early 60s - we had to pick up some supplies in Berea and brought a couple of children with us to see beyond their 'hollow' and one boy, about 10, spent an hour snapping on and off light switches and opening and closing interior doors neither of which had he ever seen. Also I remember my son being sick in our station wagon full of girls I was bringing to a couple of communities and I needed water to wash out the back - stopped at a small house and asked for some water and was handed a pail and told about a mile down the road there was an outcropping under which there was a pool of water, just brush aside the green - at the time I thought if I had to do this everytime I wanted water I would not be washing things as often as was my habit with water coming out of a faucet in my home.

However to be surrounded by a forest of trees and other wild plants, and know them all and what to do with each to realize instead of watching TV the usual practice was to sit on the front porch or wooden step and someone played a string instrument while families singing one after the other familiar music - in fact one house had wires strung from floor to ceiling on the front porch and was their musical instrument that they either plucked or bowed with the whole house the box for sound. As a gift one gentleman made me a dulcimer that I still cherish... and yes, with everyone jammed into a small space and home brew being readily available not every house/cabin was paradise. After Robert Kennedy was filmed meeting with families government money poured into the mountain communities that was seldom used appropriately - there is always graft by some regardless how much money or the cause.

I'm thinking the book is about J.D.'s experience a generation after my close encounter with the hills of Kentucky. Need to read it since Drugs were not on the scene yet in the late 50s and early 60s so that would be another layer.

I need to share this website - I only learned my sister as doing this and I was impressed - she has developed this wonderful web site devoted to Osteoporosis - very informative... includes treatments from western medicine to herbs, eastern medicine - the site is inclusive of causes and treatments on and on... https://www.osteopenia3.com/

Started yet another book - a light read The Growing Season had no clue till I was on Amazon and a series kept popping up that I know now is based on any recent purchase ans sure enough The Growing Season is the first is a whole series - I was hoping for an end and not a continuation of her situation. A young women living in a mid-western city working for an Ad agency that just fired 3/4s of the staff in a very humiliating way - her two best friends pick her up and nearly a year goes by without any bites when her Aunt calls about her Uncle being very ill and her parents taking him in. The parents own the 'everything and anything' type of hardware store in a very small town and now her mother will be tied up and not be working the store and would she consider coming home to help while she is still putting out bids for work in her field... Home she goes not intending to stay but one thing leads to another - she finds a home to rent that is a farm house and and and - the owners are two elderly brothers who never married. One in a care center and the other needing to be and will go rooming with his brother on a trial bases that the nephew hopes sticks... no sparks yet but I foresee the nephew being around as more than a landlord - solid and kind just as the town and her family - we shall see - not deep but a light summer read.

Still reading Eco's Inventing the Enemy - difficult to stay with this in that all I do is shake my head up and down - nothing really new just seeing through different eyes what has been there all along. Have you opened the Eco book you were taken with Frybabe?

Also still reading The Ride of Her Life - now that she seems to be more about chasing notoriety by accepting one city's request after another for her visit that includes her speaking or leading a parade or some sort of special event I've sorta lost interest - it is no longer an adventure story... or at least not the adventure of her, her horses and dog experiencing new landscapes and back road experiences. I keep thinking it will pick up so I have not completely put it aside. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24082 on: August 13, 2024, 11:19:34 PM »
Hi, all, I've been AWOL for a while.  I'll tell you about it later.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24083 on: August 14, 2024, 02:50:44 AM »
Glad your back as I suspect you are also glad - can't wait for the story...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #24084 on: August 14, 2024, 07:29:54 AM »
Not  yet, Barb. I have two of Eco's book on my library wish list, neither one was on the list I posted: The Prague Cemetery and On Literature.  I just happen to have a "slot" open in my library reading, having just finished a crime mystery, so I'll let you know which on I choose first.

Another of Eco's books but will have to buy, along with the others, is The Open Work. It is a translation by Anna Cancogni of early scholarly writings (including Opera Aperta) on aesthetics and the concept of "openness" in art. This is before he got into "semiotics" which I had to look up. It has to do with "sign process". Very esoteric I think, but something anyone into communicating an idea or thought through any number of ways would find worth wading through. So, okay, might come in handy if you come across a Close Encounters of the Third Kind situation or an isolated culture that never had exposure to us "modern" types. Oh, yeah, and then there is Dr. Doolittle talking to animals, or how Oscar and Shan pick up on what I mean through chemical or visual signals other than language? Okay, I'm getting silly now. Anyway, I think Eco wrote some serious stuff. His background was in Philosophy concentration on the 20th and 21st century.

bellamarie

« Reply #24085 on: August 14, 2024, 02:58:09 PM »
Barb, you never cease to amaze me with your life experiences and all-around knowledge of just about everything.  Reading with the Girl Scouts you helped the children raised in the hills of poverty and the compassion you showed them is heartwarming and heart wrenching. 

Growing up with my paternal side being from the southern hills of Italy, and my maternal side from the southern hills of Kentucky and Tennessee or "in the holler" as they referred to it as, it was common to be called either a dumb dago or a dumb hillbilly.  We never had running water or an inside bathroom in our small house my father was in the process of building in Michigan before he was killed in the train accident he died in when I was 3 yrs. old. We did have a pump in the kitchen for our means of water and an outhouse in the back yard.  I must have been 5 years old when my mother purchased the bigger house next door (with I suspect money from a settlement with NYC train company) that had running cold water and inside bathroom.  We would heat our water on the stove and carry it upstairs in buckets or pots to fill enough in the bathtub to take a bath in. My maternal grandparents were uneducated, so they found labor work, in Michigan and my grandmother worked at a paper mill stamping plant. 

Barb,
Hillbilly was the derogatory slang for being stupid, inbred, unwashed, poor, of which some of the poverty was simply living in isolated communities much as folks lived back in the 17 hundreds and 18 hundreds.

Yes, the term "hillbilly" was a cultural name used in some cases to be derogatory but then those from the hills also see it as their pride and lifestyle not to be ashamed of. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=meaning+of+hillbilly&ia=web&iax=about

Hillbilly
Hillbilly is a term for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States, primarily in the Appalachian region and Ozarks. As people migrated out of the region during the Great Depression, the term spread northward and westward with them. The usage of the term hillbilly as a descriptor receives mixed perceptions, often in part due to the nature in which it is used. It may be used in in-groups as a point of pride, while others consider its usage derogatory, especially when used as an insult. The first known instances of "hillbilly" in print were in The Railroad Trainmen's Journal, an 1899 photograph of men and women in West Virginia labeled "Camp Hillbilly", and a 1900 New York Journal article containing the definition: "a Hill-Billie is a free and untrammeled white citizen of Alabama, who lives in the hills, has no means to speak of, dresses as he can, talks as he pleases, drinks whiskey when he gets it, and fires off his revolver as the fancy takes him". Wikipedia

I would highly recommend the book and movie, not because J.D. Vance is now in the political arena, but because it is his story of overcoming tragedies that made him the man he is today.  He's not perfect, none of us are, but I can surely relate to rising above the situations you are born into. 

PatH. we are waiting to hear the reason for your AWOL.  I just hope you are well and it's good to see you back posting.

Frybabe, glad to hear the closing went well and hurricane Debby did not interfere with their move.  I have to say you have piqued my curiosity of Eco so I decided to check him out. Alas!  He was an Italian.

Umberto Eco
Italian semiotician, essayist, philosopher, literary critic, and novelist
umbertoeco.it
Umberto Eco was an Italian medievalist, philosopher, semiotician, novelist, cultural critic, and political and social commentator. In English, he is best known for his popular 1980 novel The Name of the Rose, a historical mystery combining semiotics in fiction with biblical analysis, medieval studies and literary theory, as well as Foucault's Pendulum, his 1988 novel which touches on similar themes.
Wikipedia

Born   January 5, 1932, Alessandria, Piedmont, Kingdom of Italy
Age at death   84 years
Died   February 19, 2016, Milan, Lombardy, Italy
Website
Wikipedia
IMDb

Okay, must run for now.  Ya'll take care and stay safe & healthy.
Ciao~ Bellamarie

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24086 on: August 15, 2024, 01:23:58 AM »
Barb, Frybabe, and Bellamarie,I tried Eco too; not his philosophy--that's outside my competence, but I read The Name of the Rose, a detective story with some amusing twists along with the philosophy.  I tried Foucault's Pendulum too, and it didn't sit well with me either.  I didn't finish it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24087 on: August 15, 2024, 11:08:04 AM »
My AWOL:I was typing away here, having trouble getting things to do what I wanted, and I somehow managed to do something that left nothing of the website except some conversations from the early days.  That was horrifying.  Had I actually deleted most of our history?  I contacted SMF's Help section, but even though I got to talk with a team of real people, they mostly said they were looking into it, and didn't get anywhere.  One of their suggestions led to my logging out, and then I couldn't log back in.

I dug up Ginny's contact info, and she contacted Jane, and my daughter Suzi broke in to explain to them what happened, and eventually, Jane had me set up again, back to where I had been, able to talk to all of you, and reread old discussions.  So hurray for Jane, and Suzi and Ginny too   that's no small thing for someone as busy as Jane to take that much time.

Frybabe

« Reply #24088 on: August 15, 2024, 11:17:34 AM »
Hey Pat, glad you and your daughter solved you problem.

Now, I have something for you (although I think you already know about it). Just had to share in case anyone is interested. I just now discovered the Politics and Prose You Tube site. https://www.youtube.com/@politicsprose Now I can check it out and see what all the praise is about.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24089 on: August 15, 2024, 01:33:44 PM »
Wow frybabe great site thanks - they are all there - every author that matters - I need to learn how to read a book a day or at least in 2 days to get them all in... this site of course has me anxious to read the thoughts of so many more...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24090 on: August 15, 2024, 01:37:28 PM »
OH Oh oh Pat - how absolutely terrifying - to think we have become so dependent and wrapped up in technology that unlike a vehicle that sorta makes small changes each year where as the tech world it seems like there is something every month - and yes, Jane is a miracle worker as it sounds like your Suzi also fits the description and Ginny is our lifesaver over and over... 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24091 on: August 15, 2024, 01:47:45 PM »
Bellamarie - I knew of your connection to Italy and your history in Michigan but did not know part of your family has roots in Kentucky and Tennessee - have you been back and do you still have family living in Kentucky... lots of change in the last 30 years especially but still a unique area of this nation. I've had fun off and on using the Google Map that you can turn into a video of streets showing homes and front yards to check on the houses we lived in while living in Lexington - the views of the various locations in the hills are not yet shown they are too remote but the nearby very small towns are beginning to show up and of course Berea is well videoed since it is where Berea College is located that only accepts students that can prove someone is their family is from the Hills of Southern Appalachia. I've taken many a 'vacation' visiting places all over the world using the Google Map video of streets - some special sites even have video of inside the building. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24092 on: August 17, 2024, 02:30:10 AM »
Well I did it - wanted to attempt to read a book a day remembering how I read that was an expectation if you worked at Shakespeare & C. in Paris, France --- I thought it was a way to finally whittle down the overload of books I've collected - the book I read was a light read The Woman Who Ran Away from Everything although, it did have 385 pages and I did not read straight through, stopping for two naps and watched most of the baseball game.

With this success even if I only read 3 or 4 books a week for the next 6 weeks I will feel accomplished - I've some gardening chores and some closet space to organize therefore next will be to finish reading about 7 or 8 books I stopped midway although, I say that and then a title grabs me and I must read it - however, I'm determined for the next 6 weeks to finish any book I start in a day regardless if I had been reading it or it is a new title ... tra la...

bellamarie

« Reply #24093 on: August 17, 2024, 01:43:58 PM »
Barb, yes, my maternal side is from Kentucky and Tennessee.  As of now I only have a nephew living in Tennessee.   Sadly, I have never met him because my brother never told the family since he was married with other children when he had an affair resulting in the pregnancy.  My oldest sister moved to Bean Station, Tennessee back in the 70's and we would vacation at her house every summer.  A few years later my brother and his family moved to Morristown.  One summer we took my mom with us, 8 of us packed in a GMC Hornet wagon, as we approached Clinch Mountain my hubby said to her, "Momma, you are going to have to stop talking until I get through this mountain."  I knew it would be hard for her because when she was nervous, she talked a lot.  After we got through the narrow no guardrail winding two lanes mountain, I could hear my mom let out a sigh in the back seat.  I looked back and asked if she was okay and she said, "Yes, I prayed the whole time."  lolol  One summer we had the time of our lives visiting Gatlinburg, and Silver Dollar City in Pigeon Forge.  But the best part was waking up in the morning sitting out on her wrap around balcony looking down at the morning fog in the valley and on the mountain tops.  Lexington, Kentucky might in my opinion be the most beautiful place to visit.  My hubby and I took a getaway there after our first child was born in 1973 and I will never forget the rolling hills of horse farms, I can see why it's called the "Blue grass" state.  One of the best restaurants ever was a German one we had our anniversary dinner at.

PatH. what a horrible experience to deal with.  I am so glad your daughter Suzi, Jane and Ginny were able to get you back into the site. 

When I first began teaching computers back in 1983 using strings of commands to make one program work successfully, I thought it would be the death of me.  One period or comma out of place in that long string would take me forever to figure out what I did wrong and correct it.  Today is so much simpler, yet every day still can frustrate me just trying to remember a password or ID to get into my sites.  I have them wrote down, but sadly they are in a notebook I keep at home so if I am out and need one it's click "forgot password" and change it and then I forget I changed it while away from home.  I truly hate we have become a world of passwords and Ids.  And don't even get me started with this new TV we purchased.  I told my granddaughter yesterday I have NO clue what to do when I turn the TV on, and the screen is full of different squares of apps.  Of course, my 16 yr. old grandson when he is here says "It's easy just use the one remote."

Frybabe, what a neat site!  I need to find time to really check it out more.

Barb, WOW!  Now that is a real challenge to read at least 3 or 4 books a week.  I thought once summer came, I'd be spending lazy, hazy, crazy days on the patio reading away.  NOT!!!  This has been the worst summer I can remember and now I just want Fall to come so it will be nice and cool, and I can wrap up in my sweater and read. I have two books I started and need to finish.  Wish me luck!

Ciao~ Bellamarie

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24094 on: August 17, 2024, 11:19:41 PM »
Bellamarie, I feel the same as you do about computer passwords, maintaining access, figuring out a rapidly changing system, etcI'm not dumb in general, but I sure am when it comes to computer technology, and annoyed, because they change systems rapidly, and stop supporting the old systems earlier than necessary, so we have to buy new equipment all the time, and they get more money.  The sweet spot between when finally get rid of most of the bugs in a new computer and  they stop supporting it is small.

Barb, reading a book a day is a lot.  Do they let you do that on the job?  But many bookstore workers seem to have done something like that.  You probably don't take the job. if you don't like to read that much.care as much for the books coming out now. 

Frybabe, without realizing it you gave me a great birthday present.  I haven't been paying that much attention to P andP discussions lately, partly because I don't take to a lot of the books coming out now.   But the discussion in your link was about George Orwell.  For many years I was a George Orwell nut, and I've read just about everything he wrote more than once.  In addition to his novels, he wrote a huge number of essays, amusing and telling, though also some potboilers.

So I spent the morning listening while eating a nice breakfast.  I could recognize where many of her quotes came from, and I agree with most of what she said, though Orwell didn't really get a woman's point of view.

Back when I was there, many of the author sessions were livelier than that one, with, of course some duds too.

That room is the main room in the front of the store, at the Connecticut avenue level, and you're looking out of back windows. The lower level faces a broad alley with lots (but not enough) parking, and beyond are woods and a creek.

Most of the stores have similar layouts, and the one 3 or 4 along (north) in the block is where the Pizzagate mess took place.  A friend and I were diving to a concert when the happened, and I've never seen so many police cars--double and triple lines for blocks.  Fortunately, we could detour.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24095 on: August 17, 2024, 11:32:22 PM »
Later today, JoanK, her daughter Jody, Cathy, Erick, and friend Gordy and I had a lengthy FaceTime Birthday chat, and tomorrow Cathy and Erick will pick me up and take me to Suzi's for lunch.  Good thing lunch wasn't today.  There was a huge, windy thunderstorm.
So I feel very fussed over.

bellamarie

« Reply #24096 on: August 18, 2024, 05:00:25 PM »
PatH., how exciting to spend time on your and Joan's birthday Facetiming!  Oh, what fun technology can be, even in spite of the frustrations of forgotten passwords, IDs and glitches.  Please tell Joan happy birthday from all of us here in Senior Learn.  Enjoy your lunch tomorrow with your daughter and others. Is this the 91st birthday celebration or does a lady still does not reveal her age.  :)

Path.,
"they change systems rapidly, and stop supporting the old systems earlier than necessary, so we have to buy new equipment all the time, and they get more money.  The sweet spot between when finally get rid of most of the bugs in a new computer and they stop supporting it is small.

You mentioning this got me remembering how back in 1983 when I began our school computer lab using Apple computers because they were much more user friendly than IBM PCs a computer serviceman came to fix a few of our computers. He gave me an on the site maintenance checkup and easy fix lesson so I could target shoot and repair our own computers in the future to save us money.  He showed me there are very few parts that could go wrong, and each part has certain places they fit into so it's actually simple to replace them on your own.  Today, it's the updating that can cause so many glitches and I generally will go to Google and then Youtube to watch a video on how to target shoot and fix the issue.  But they don't make these computers to last like they used to so to get even 5 yrs. out of today's models is actually good. 

I read the book back in 2012 called Steve Jobs by Walther Issac, an authorized biography about Steve Jobs.  Being the cofounder of Apple starting off in his parent's garage fascinated me. Back then in 1976 Steve Jobs had a vision and goal to have every person wanting, needing and depending on an Apple device in their daily lives.  Whether it be Apple or any other brand, I would say Steve Jobs accomplished his goal, and here we are at our ages fumbling and bumbling around trying to keep up with the latest devices that our 5 yr. old grandchild can teach us how to use it.  Grrrr....  I still love paper and pen and highlighters!  But then imagine, we would have no Senior Learn to discuss our books and share our lives with each other without technology.

Frybabe and PatH.  I have not read any of Orwell's books but went snooping to learn a little about him and lo and behold did you know Orwell is his pen name?  I'm sure you did.

The bibliography of George Orwell includes journalism, essays, novels, and non-fiction books written by the British writer Eric Blair (1903–1950), either under his own name or, more usually, under his pen name George Orwell. Orwell was a prolific writer on topics related to contemporary English society and literary criticism, who has been declared "perhaps the 20th century's best chronicler of English culture."[1] His non-fiction cultural and political criticism constitutes the majority of his work, but Orwell also wrote in several genres of fictional literature. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Orwell_bibliography

Okay, I must get off of here. I lost my entire post and had to begin again so I intended to come in for a few minutes which turned into more time than I expected.  Don't you just LOVE technology!!!!! 

Ciao~  Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24097 on: August 18, 2024, 08:07:11 PM »
Happy Birthday Pat - love the card you posted Bellamarie -

grrr computer glitches - hit a button to get out of pinterest and lost everything including the connection to my WiFi - took hours to get it back and now I'm afraid to go into pinterest

Didn't read yesterday or today but what I did do is line up all the books I've started so I can start with those.

Frybabe

« Reply #24098 on: August 19, 2024, 06:39:02 AM »
Happy belated Birthday, Pat.

Yesterday I finally finished listening to The Rise of Athens which took me up to Alexander's reign. Last night I watched about half of the talk about George Orwell and will get to the rest today.

My current reading is another just okay crime mystery for bedtime reading and the library read is The Road Back, the sequel to All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. The Road Back is about the aftermath of WWI and adjusting to life after war. What particularly struck me so far is how the war changed society, the dearth of jobs available to veterans coming home, and the state of the art in medicine and replacement appendages. My eyes widened when I read that the Germans were down to using paper wrappings for bandages by the end of the war. As with us, women took up the slack on the homefront during the war. Many homecoming vets, aside from having to adjust to civilian life again, discovered that their jobs were no longer available to them because of businesses having shut down or moved and by being replaced by women who were paid less and were more current with the changing technologies.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24099 on: August 19, 2024, 03:35:29 PM »
You're right, Bellamarie, I did know.  Orwell is the name of a British river. You gave me a chuckle with your story of your mother and the mountain road.  Those roads are so scary--worse for the passenger, who can look straight down.  And the mountains are so beautiful.

All Quiet on the Western Front is one of those books I get stuck on at the same place many times.  Sometimes I get unstuck and like the book.  Maybe it's time to try again.  I got stuck in both English  and German.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24100 on: August 20, 2024, 04:25:15 AM »
Shoot frybabe - you always come up with such great authors and their books - had to look up The Road Back and in the process found several other Erich Maria Remarque's that I could not pass up on - Three Comrades, A Time to Love and a Time to Die, and also Flotsam - they are all timed around the First World War however, I never realized he wrote so many books around that time period - do not know which I will start first but Flotsam holds the most fascination after reading the review.   

Pat I found which was unusual for me that after seeing the movie I was more able to read All Quiet... Wow to be able to read in German - Don't you also know Spanish Pat - Hitler coming so quickly on the heals of WWI made it more difficult for any compassion toward the German soldier's experience and so I am not remembering these books being popular or even in the library when I was young and could still read in German - as a family during the WWII period we were so busy hiding our heritage - a couple of bad experiences.

Three Comrades the review says is about 3 soldiers approach to living after the war was over and the one that fascinates me Flotsam is about professionals, mostly Jews who are pushed from one country to another but still find a life.

Couldn't pass up Clashing over Commerce The history of International Trade and Tariffs since the days of Washington up to recent times - who benefited and what group was hurt and how Tariffs were the source for our national income till the Income Tax was created in 1913

Frybabe

« Reply #24101 on: August 20, 2024, 06:16:51 AM »
I could say the same for you, Barb. I looked Douglas A. Irwin up and discovered a few other books he wrote. I suspect some of these are used as text or supplement texts in his courses. Free Trade Under Fire, which is now in its Fifth Edition (2020), has been regularly updated since the first edition was published in 2005, on average one every five years. So, it looks like next year there should be a sixth edition. He is still listed as a professor at Dartmouth and he has a YouTube presence. Here is one of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyljUHqY2IM

Pat, I assume you mean the remake in color and voice from not long ago? I have never watched it, probably because watching the silent with my Dad is one of the highlights of my memories of him.

bellamarie

« Reply #24102 on: August 24, 2024, 01:41:46 PM »
Happy Saturday!  I am finally taking a break and going to sit and read a bit today.  I found a book yesterday while at a book sale in the small town of Swanton with my great grandson, the title is Another Woman's Husband by Gill Paul.  I have never read this author but what intrigued me about this book is that it is fictional history (with some actual facts) of the Royal family:

From the Back Cover
DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES, IN CAR CRASH . . .

1997: After a romantic proposal in Paris, Rachel and her fiancé, Alex, are in a cab when suddenly the car ahead crashes. They’re stunned to learn Princess Diana is in the car. By the wreckage, Alex finds an engraved heart pendant and gives it to Rachel to hold. Rachel is intrigued when she discovers that Di had visited the last home of Wallis, the Duchess of Windsor, only hours before the accident. Eventually, the revelation of a long-forgotten link to Wallis Simpson leads Rachel to the truth behind a scandal that shook the world. . . .

MRS. SIMPSON TO WED PRINCE OF WALES . . .

1911: When fifteen-year-old Mary Kirk meets Wallis Warfield at summer camp, she’s captivated by her fearless, brazen, and self-assured personality. And Wallis has a way with the boys, who are drawn to her like moths to a flame. Though Mary’s family isn’t crazy about her new best friend, she steadfastly stands by her side—even years later when they’re adults and rumors swirl about Wallis and her reckless behavior with none other than the Prince of Wales. But when Mary’s loyalty to Wallis comes into question, their friendship will be put to the ultimate test.

Ironically before I left to take our great grandson to the library, I was talking with his mom Kenzie, my granddaughter and we were looking up what my Princess Diana dolls, and ring are going for on EBay.  Seems some people are willing to pay quite a bit for them.  My hubby gave me the replica of Princess Diana's famous blue sapphire ring surrounded by 14 diamonesked simulated diamonds from Ashton Drake for an anniversary gift years ago.  He knows I have been fascinated with her since the engagement to Prince Charles.  Him...not so much.  So, I am going to give this book a try since my other two are not holding my attention.  Wish me luck.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24103 on: August 26, 2024, 05:24:33 PM »
The books you've chosen sound intriguing - Wallis Simpson connected to Princes Diana - hope you were able to read up a storm over the weekend Bellamarie 

Well after reading a couple of numb nuts books that were less than I would list as chit chat books that at least chit chat books have some off beat or fun loving characters - the one a mystery that wasn't and the other a woman who looses her marketing job and because of a family emergency goes back home to a typical small town in farming country so that the book is all about making jam and painting rooms and planning a parade and animals and weathering a storm... so that the book as the mystery were both the start of a series - I finally held up my hand and said, enough...

And so --- I spent the weekend clearing out my kindle of all numb nuts books that I would probably never read - most were free including nearly all those offered free each month as part of some Amazon program and mysteries that no one ever talks about - on and on - the most expensive of any of the books was $1.99 - and most were free as well as a few for .99 - I dumped 73 books in all - whew - in the process I found several I forgot I owned and several that are no longer available which was a trick and a half to download, but I did it... Still have over 1500 on my kindle which is too many but for now I cannot find anymore to trash. Several cookbooks and books about eating to manage a physical issue along with several dictionaries however all told these books only numbered less than 100

I've had several folders however only one big one for any and all Novels and decided to break that down and now have folders based on the author / subject matter from a particular nation - not all... Italy, France, Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, one for Wales, Ireland and Scotland and one for the South - left in the novel folder is mostly American and British authors one or two from places like Poland and a bunch from Spain and Mexico 

Now that I 'm somewhat sorted I can choose better and not feel I've wasted a day reading something so superficial it was a throw away day.

For sure I do want to read, Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants The review includes this, 'Kimmerer shows how other living beings—asters and goldenrod, strawberries and squash, salamanders, algae, and sweetgrass—offer us gifts and lessons, even if we've forgotten how to hear their voices.'

And I just must read The Most Dangerous Game - something about passing a mystery island feared by seamen on their way to the Amazon for hunting - only 38 pages and no longer available for US readers only for European readers - intriguing... Looks like I downloaded it last January.

bellamarie

« Reply #24104 on: August 27, 2024, 11:57:19 AM »
Barb, good for you with the disposing of books from your Kindle and organizing into folders.  I have gotten many books free from the monthly Amazon Prime membership.  Some of the picks are as you say, "numb nut", books. I try to choose a mystery thriller.  I was stuck on historical fiction for so long I have gotten into the psychological thrillers this past year and they are holding my attention.

This new book Another Woman's Husband is a really good read, I am halfway through it.  Stayed up a bit too late the other night reading it.  Today I will read more since hubby is home after having four teeth pulled and fitted for partials this morning and I am on nurse watch.  He seems okay, just will be glad when the bleeding stops.  I swear I am such a ninny when it comes to him, he is so full of energy and constantly on the go that when something slows him down, I hover like a mother hen.

Today's temps are in the dangerous zone so it's a good day to be inside with the air conditioning for both of us.  Next week we cool back off into the 70's low 80s.  Can't wait.  How is everyone's weather? 

Ciao~ Bellamarie 

Frybabe

« Reply #24105 on: August 28, 2024, 05:55:01 PM »
I am almost finished with Remarque's The Road Back. It is worth finishing, but I found the flow of the text somewhat uneven. It was like the bits in between vignettes where very bland and uncertain. I wonder how much the translation had to do with it. I suspect, Barb, that he addresses a lot of the same issues in Three Comrades as he brought up in The Road Back regarding the returned soldiers. I don't think he missed too much. Seems a lot of the same issues our guys had coming home. The biggest difference is that we did not breed a Hitler during the interval between WWI and WWII like they did there.

I must have really, really wanted to read Birth of the West because two days ago I discovered that some while back I bought the audio book version, and promptly forgot I had it. So, I started with the library borrow, continued with the hardcover, and have now switched to the last of it with the audio book. Grover Gardner is a magnificent narrator. One of his  narrations was News of the World, and for that reason, I did not watch the Tom Hanks version. I don't think it would compare well.

Oh, oh, I have a hold on a book which should be ready next week called Tokyo Ueno Stationa 2020 National Book Award Winner written by Yu Miri. NPR's review https://www.npr.org/2020/06/27/883949974/a-painful-past-and-ghostly-present-converge-in-tokyo-ueno-station

New bookshelf is together and I have started populating it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24106 on: September 03, 2024, 02:08:37 PM »
Cannot believe - this is the second time I've lost an entire post - way back someone shared how to retrieve a post but I forgot how - need to breath and maybe I'll post later today... shoot shoot shoot ...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24107 on: September 05, 2024, 11:45:48 AM »
Oh, Barb, it's so discouraging to lose a post.  Trying to rewrite it is worse than the first time.

Bellamarie, by coincidence I had two teeth pulled yesterday, presumably will eventually get a partial.  Not my favorite pastime. Good luck to the two of you.  Our weather is expected  to slide into the danger level, with a temperature of 100, and a fire weather watch.  Ugh.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24108 on: September 06, 2024, 09:27:55 AM »
Ouch Pat by today hope your mouth is less sore but probably still uncomfortable. And yes, no way can I for a third time try to recreate the posts lost grrrr.

found this... Not sure about the first one uuuhhhauw but the 3rd one is really interesting as is the 4th one and never heard this about Virginia Woolf

Here are some interesting facts about books:
1. Harvard University Library has four books bound in human skin.
2. Iceland tops the world in per capita book reading.
3. People who read books are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease.
4. In Brazilian prisons, reading a book can reduce a prisoner's sentence by four days.
5. Virginia Woolf wrote all her books while standing.
6. The most stolen book is the Bible.
7. Roosevelt read an average of one book per day.
8. There are over 20,000 books written about chess.
9. Victor Hugo’s "Les Misérables" contains a sentence with 823 words.
10. Words like "hurry" and "addiction" were invented by Shakespeare.
11. If all the books in the New York Public Library were lined up, they would stretch 8 miles.
12. Leo Tolstoy's wife hand-copied the manuscript of "War and Peace" seven times.
13. Noah Webster took 36 years to write his first dictionary.
14. The Mahabharata is the only book or epic in the world with over 1,200 characters.

bellamarie

« Reply #24109 on: September 07, 2024, 12:47:42 AM »
Frybabe, a new bookshelf to fill how exciting!! 

Barb, I had that happen to me a few posts ago and I don't know anything more frustrating than having to repost.  Good idea to try later.  I hope someone can repost how to retrieve a lost post. 

Pat, oh my, dangerous heat and possible fires is so scary to think about.  I pray you do not have to go through the fires.  Hubby actually was a real trooper with the teeth pulled and partial.  He is still working on getting used to having them in his mouth and sounding out the CH and S words.  He is almost back to normal eating.  I heard him crunching potato chips for lunch and smiled just knowing he tackled crunchy food, and he did peanut butter and jelly sandwich which he loves!

Well, I finished my book Another Woman's Husband and I have to say I would rate it 10/10. I love how the author used true historical couples and facts from the Monarchy from 1911 - 1941 and the present-day couple traveling in the tunnel on the night Princess Diana's tragic accident occurred resulting in her death August 31,1997.  The friendship between Mary Kirk and Bessiewallis Warfield that formed while at summer camp in 1911 and continued throughout their years of marriage, divorces, high and lows was so tender but later then heartbreaking.  Ironically, I actually finished the book on the 27th anniversary of Diana's death. 

Barb, those facts about books are really interesting.  The binding with human skin gives me the creeps.  Oh, and believe it or not I first began posting this the other day and yes... my computer jarred and went to a goofy screen, and I just shut it down.  I opened it back up today and hit restore and it was still at the site and my post was not lost.  Grrrr... technology, don't ya just love it.

Buona notte ~
Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24110 on: September 07, 2024, 03:43:42 PM »
Appears we are going to experience and early fall - unheard of we have had temps in the middle 80s which usually we do not see till the very end of September or more likely early October - plus here it is early afternoon and the sun has a yellow cast rather than the fire hot redish to orangish cast. Again we usually do not see this week yellowish cast till actually the end of October - haven't checked the Farmer's Almanac in years but need to find one - I'm betting there is one online

Well I just do not know what to do about a book I'm reading - Back when I downloaded a couple of Erich Maria Remarque's books this one by Costigan called The Single Soldier kept popping up - the Amazon review said it was about a soldier upon the return from the war found everyone dead and moved his house board by board to the other side of the village and found he was no happier than he was before he moved. I could see all sorts of analogies and thought yes, I would like to read this.

Well first of all the first few chapters have nothing to do with WWI except how it affected, especially the mother of this guy. They are all living through the early stages of the Vichy Government in southern France with all the questions and opinions and comments both positive and negative but mostly how this is affecting them, poor peasant type farmers with all the social issues like the fact this mother who is only in her 40s has taken to her bed with thoughts she will die. This young man is agreeing in his thoughts as he totally takes care of her while getting their very existence from the land and that is an issue. His father, before he went to fight "to save them" and was killed, was a gambler, as are most of the men in the very small village and he bet and lost part of the best acreage of the farm. On a distant hill side there is a small plat he got in exchange that needs to be cut once a year that they do own plus the immediate acreage around the house which is just enough to sustain them but not enough to make any profit.

Now all of sudden this next chapter I started does seem to be about WWI but I've stopped reading - Their lives and manner of living is so raw, base, rough, brutal, that we forget how peasant farmers actually live since we have been so removed for nearly a 100 years from that life - Reminded me some of the habits, language, descriptions of life in the raw from my father-in-law who grew up on a farm in very rural area with no electricity. Maybe it is those memories but there is no nice civilized living coming off these pages.

I can't believe the premise Amazon included is totally off the wall wrong and so I am curious about what will happen next but the manner of the lives used to tell this story is so turning me off I'm in a dither if I should abandon the book - maybe just set it aside - after all it is on my kindle. But frankly being reminded of how raw people lived that also affected their thinking it is difficult to see Christianity flourishing in these communities however, most of these communities accept the priest/padre but also accepted and thought the worst of the priest/padre's human frailties - their own is beyond belief - lordy trying to come to terms with my 21st century moral outlook and reading what life was like 100 years ago this time is not easy. All I think of is if it was this rough, raw and what I would call depraved in the nineteen hundred what must it have been like during the middle ages.   

With so much chaos in the news I need to read something that takes me out of today and leaves me feeling like life is a wonder filled with natural beauty or the beauty we make with our hands to make more of our surroundings - I prefer just now reading about contemporary characters that are about the business of making life nicer and better or, if I am reading about the past I'm thinking the distant past is safer to marvel at the accomplishments, or even the wars that are not described too close and personal - the more I think on things because of poking into The Single Soldier we still have not only gangs but large groups, nations and even singles who act out the roughest ugliest aggressive even sexual made public as all part of life around us.  Even neighborhood web sites are full of it - granted most who post are aghast but good grief there is hardly anyplace to escape all this and so maybe I've lived most of my life in a fantasy thinking we have become more civilized, kind and loving then we really are... Ah so... all that because I do not know if I should shelve unread a book...

bellamarie

« Reply #24111 on: September 09, 2024, 01:47:08 AM »
Barb, reading the quandary your unfinished book seems to have placed you in makes me think about much of the same things you are asking yourself about past and present life.  Sometimes I feel like I am such an old soul, and the morals and values I was raised with and passed on to my children seem to be so far out of focus today.  Our parish priest began what he called a "Sip n chat" where once a week for 6 weeks we discussed a certain short book, and it seemed people in the chat were more interested in discussing the changes of the world and how we process and deal with them. Fr. Jim wants to continue having the sip n chat weekly for an hour because he feels people especially the retired need a place to just chat about their fears, feelings and concerns of the changing world.  As for your book... my suggestion is to shelve it, and you can always come back to it another time. 

Oh, oh, oh I must tell you on our local news tonight they interviewed a woman who has been traveling on a horse around the country.  It reminded me of your book "The Ride of Her Life."

I'm going to go back to my book I started and shelved called The Lost Loves of World War II (3 Novels of Questions Unanswered Since World War II.)   

I'm sure I'll be starting Bill O'Reilly's new book as well since my hubby has been anxiously waiting for the release day it hits the stores Sept 10th called,
Confronting the Presidents  
Every American president, from Washington to Biden: Their lives, policies, foibles, and legacies, assessed with clear-eyed authority and wit.

Authors of the acclaimed Killing books, the #1 bestselling narrative history series in the world, Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard begin a new direction with Confronting the Presidents.

From Washington to Jefferson, Lincoln to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Kennedy to Nixon, Reagan to Obama and Biden, the 45 United States presidents have left lasting impacts on our nation. Some of their legacies continue today, some are justly forgotten, and some have changed as America has changed. Whether famous, infamous, or obscure, all the presidents shaped our nation in unexpected ways.

The authors' extensive research has uncovered never before seen historical facts based on private correspondence and newly discovered documentation, such as George Washington's troubled relationship with his mother.

In Confronting the Presidents, O’Reilly and Dugard present 45 wonderfully entertaining and insightful portraits of each president, with no-spin commentary on their achievements—or lack thereof.

Who best served America, and who undermined the founding ideals?

Who were the first ladies, and what were their surprising roles in making history?

Which presidents were the best, which the worst, and which didn’t have much impact?

How do decisions made in one era, under the pressure of particular circumstances, still resonate today?

And what do presidents like to eat, drink, and do when they aren’t working—or even sometimes when they are?

These and many more questions are answered in each fascinating chapter of Confronting the Presidents. Written with O’Reilly and Dugard’s signature style, authority, and eye for telling detail, Confronting the Presidents will delight all listeners of history, politics, and current affairs, especially during the 2024 election season.

A Macmillan Audio production from St. Martin’s Press.

https://www.amazon.com/Confronting-Presidents-Assessments-Washington-Biden/dp/B0CW7WZJVZ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=39TCCNEY3HLYK&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.AOGtadWR-CrWevWix7_HfYhCmDRLfcrpQTllLbKHM2cyH4yUJufk-zVSPvF7LObCg94SZhlbbGhyA5ND0Mso_ujowv_8xMJvISmnqUljddpWTWQhb-uOvAa4QsO2DUW-qAiyIUyN_d_Ha_Irgjk3M32MQDtkpR-RVRxA9OiiYX-vSrwmD6KIz9k6t59XkDHYVI_fwjJz9sdqHS69QCQNWhEDevwuITNGSbzE80OHnE0.TBujpGNcfIt_yI6qKukb5mgwWkO24hCDyR9HKi6nJmM&dib_tag=se&keywords=confronting+the+presidents+by+bill+oreilly&qid=1725859467&sprefix=Confronting+%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1

One thing for certain is since joining this book club I have come to appreciate reading about history and can retain it much better.

Okay, once again I am up way past my bedtime, so I need to close out and go to bed.  I remember Gumtree and I would always find each other on late at night because she lived in a different country and time zone.  Oh, how I miss her.

Buona notte ~
BellaMarie

Frybabe

« Reply #24112 on: September 09, 2024, 05:05:16 PM »
Has anyone read or listened to Peter Heather's book, Christendom: The Triumph of a Religion, AD 300-1300 (2023)?
Anytime I see a book considered a "reinterpretation" I think revisionist. I am thinking of getting the audio book which he narrates himself. Too many people say the Kindle edition has umpteen grammar, m  ostly punctuation, errors and that would drive me crazy. Otherwise, it gets high praises.

Recently, I read Tokyo Uneo Station by Yu Miri. What a sad tale. The book won the 2020 National Book Award for Translated Literature. Now I am reading Alastair Reynolds' Machine Vendetta which is the latest in the Prefect Dreyfus Emergencies series.  Seven more hours to go on the audio book version of Birth of the West.

Believe it or not, I have yet to pick up one single book by Bill O'Reilly even though they get high praises.

bellamarie

« Reply #24113 on: September 13, 2024, 11:47:44 AM »
Frybabe, no, I have not read any of Peter Heather's books, but I am guessing Barb may have.  Reading the Edition Description it is a book I think I would like reading.

A major reinterpretation of the religious superstate that came to define both Europe and Christianity itself, by one of our foremost medieval historians.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/christendom-the-triumph-of-a-religion-ad-300-1300_peter-heather/38785646/all-editions/?resultid=06554b28-fb87-4794-81fc-6b1db8ab2183

I myself along with my fellow Catholics, have been seeing a huge change in attitude in the past few years and have much concern as to the direction of any organized religion regardless of which faith/doctrine it follows.  The actual church attendance is down especially since covid caused churches to close, yet I am also seeing many revivals among young people throughout the country.  Just recently I was a bit shocked to see the revival held at Ohio State University. 

https://www.ncregister.com/blog/ohio-state-football-team-jesus-revival

I hold out faith in our youth and more so now as I received a beautiful handwritten letter from my 13 yr. old granddaughter Zoey who attends Notre Dame Academy all girl's school, asking me to be her Confirmation sponsor.  Just to share a small bit she says,

"I have chosen you as my Confirmation sponsor because you have helped me get closer to God, you even gave me the idea to help create a club with my friends called Faith, Hope and Love Club at my school."

This truly brought joy to my heart and tears to my eyes.  We as adults, grandparents and great grandparents have more impact than we even know.  Oh, and one more thing she picked up from watching me is journaling and reading.  We love going to Barnes and Noble together, buying a delicious latte' and sit and browse the books.  She found a series she would like to begin which would be quite costly, so I purchased her the first book and then came home and ordered the rest from Thriftbooks.com which was nearly a fourth of the cost if I bought them at Barnes and Noble.  So, I guess I also taught her to be a smart shopper! 

Okay must run for now.

Ciao~  Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24114 on: September 13, 2024, 03:14:55 PM »
Recently to my surprise I watched a Bill O'Reilly news show (not sure if this is the same Bill O'Reilly y'all are talking about) anyhow yes, he aged but as forceful as ever however, I saw in him less rant and more making sense of the issue he was discussing. His show is on pretty late and I need something other than politics to watch late as I'm trying to wind down in order to sleep.

Don't have my books as I had them on shelves in Austin and could go right to the book I needed to reference but without exact names I was amazed to read in a Cambridge thick book of the history of the Germanic tribes that became the Germany we know today. Early on there was a leader, actually a family where each generation the leader was declared - this family do not remember the name without the book but their call to fame was they could make crops grow - if the leader walked in a growing field that was not producing just his mere walking through the field and it would produce - after several generations the leadership was not doing it's job as well as the people wanted or expected and so another - not Pippin - before him I think it was even before his father Charles Martel however, from the Pippin family line wanted to contest for the ruling roll and in order to be considered by the people more magical then the past family whose magic could make fields produce he decided to get the Pope to not only support but coronate him - from then on more and more leaders in order to outdo each other and their importance had the Pope in Rome do the coronations - on top of all this few to any of these leaders could read and so they had a representative from the Pope on site to read the communications that came from Rome. These onsite reps became more and more powerful - my guess reading was they became like what Secretaries of State are today and once an established part of the kings close advisors it was politics as usual that quickly grew to the Pope have a say and essentially leading the nations of Europe without the Pope having to finance an army or the other aspects of Royalty that were costs the Kings had to finance.

From what I've read in several books that go into the Church history, the church taking over in Rome after Rome fell came about because the Pope's area of Rome was managed with things like fire brigade. law and order and so the church slide into the role of leadership creating over time a large area that was very reduced in size when Italy was united to what we call the Vatican today - there had been a large landmass of central, what we know as Italy, governed by the church - Had haphazardly followed the history of the church to connect the dots - led me to think the Church was like most governing nations, they need and want more and more land to control.

Once the church became more than shepherds of souls and branched into governing, like all leadership there are good men and bad men and also, war keeps men together and focused - like many nations to this day they feel threatened by neighboring nations that do not share their values or lifestyle and traditions are different and so protection slides into aggression to remove the threat. And so, along with a 'church' concerned with the spiritual there was a temporal concern that was handled the traditional way, by becoming a stronger and more dominate leader - Once in the role of leadership it seems there are all sorts of 'sins' that take place because as Hannah Arendt said 'because they can' - some of the Church's major influence early on fell into their lap as kings, like Charlemagne, were the kings of large land areas who were crowned by the Pope and became co-leaders with the Pope.

Yes tears - what a wonderful experience to know your devotion influenced members of your family Bellamarie - Yes I've read of several revivals on various collage campuses - some close doors and others open windows - as to church attendance down I have my opinion that I think the current Pope is influencing what is happening by taking some of the ceremony and adoration away that is being replaced with a more 'me' centered view where Mass is more of a gathering - gatherings, like mass musical events have a limited appeal. Also once this nonsense that God controls the activities on earth then of course God would be blamed for all the horrors - people want and if God does not fix or provide... as I say a very 'me' centered view...   

And yes, decided to just set the book that was not pleasant to read aside - ended up downloading two that sound enjoyable after reading the first few pages provided by Amazon --- The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by of all people, Madeleine L'Engle and The Bookshop on the Shore: A Novel by Jenny Colgan. Her books are always light with bits of wisdom tucked into the story.

With the latest hurricane by-passing us the bit of rain was great and the weather has been unseasonably cool and pleasant - difficult to stay in and read - my yard needs so much work and then I get so tired now but the time out-of-doors is too wonderful to pass up...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24115 on: September 15, 2024, 05:33:46 PM »
For the past 4 days I traveled off to Los Angeles with my daughter Suzi, to visit JoanK.  Joan still lives in her condo in Torrance, which is sort of a part of Los Angeles.  Her son Dan and his wife live with her, and her daughter Jody lives just a few blocks away, so she's seldom alone.  When Joan and I talk on the phone, it's nonstop, and even worse in person. We had a blast.

She says hi to everyone, and adds that although she's bedridden now, she's still kicking.

Frybabe

« Reply #24116 on: September 15, 2024, 06:48:12 PM »
I am happy to hear about your visit to see JoanK, but sorry to hear that she is bedridden.

Tomorrow I am having a surgery to remove a cyst from the corner of my eye. I don't know if that will affect my reading, but I still have my audio books, so that is something anyway.

I think we've seen the last of the Inspector Dreyfus series considering how Machine Vendetta ended. Of course, it could also mean the beginning of a new Dreyfus series, not in the "Glitter Band". but in the farther reaches of the Revelation Space. It was a good, hopeful ending none-the-less.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24117 on: September 16, 2024, 02:35:50 AM »
frybabe is this the Inspector Dreyfus of Pink Panther fame?

Joan is bedridden as is MaryPage - just reminds me of how lucky and grateful to still be walking although I'm using my walker all the time now and you, traveling to the west coast - impressive Pat just really impressive and how wonderful your visit sounds - please share we miss Joan and have great memories of her discussing many a book with this group. I remember when she first moved to California and spoke of the birds - seems to me she was living near either a state or national park of some sort right on the ocean.

Good luck with your eye surgery Frybabe - is cyst on the eye or on the eyelid? Losing eyesight is not easy even if in one eye - That is what I'm debating with now... the Glaucoma surgery will not improve lost vision which for me, so far is only some side vision but the stint will slow down further deterioration. However, I'm allergic to just about every kind of anti-biotic known and the risk is using on anti-biotic during surgery can cause blindness - this doctor does not believe in colloidal silver which the last surgery I had for involved tooth removal the doctor used and had me use after surgery colloidal silver - where as this eye doctor thinks you turn blue she has so distant herself from it value - however, for me it is the only thing that works with security - even got me through my bout with Covid and now to find out if it can be used during this eye surgery and if so will she go for it - I do not want to risk immediate blindness - I've too much left to do - I would prefer slowly loosing more eyesight in that eye rather than at once also, the surgery will slow it but not eliminate the problem - your surgery frybabe sounds like you have no choice - I'm assuming the cyst is causing you problems and has to be removed. Please keep us updated and know I will be praying and we'll be thinking good thoughts for you... 

Well after downloading the two books that sounded so good I ended up coming across a Book about 3 people who were caught up in the UT Tower shooting in Austin back in the hot summer of 1966 and who remained good friends all these years. The book starts with their experience that day just after noon as Whitman was firing down from the UT Tower - all the places mentioned I knew and it is like reading a slice of Austin that from the excerpt continues not only the history of what happened but their continued friendship and of the growth and huge change to Austin itself - my youngest Paul, who now we live only 5 streets apart was all of 6 going to be 7 in a couple of weeks - Peter my eldest was 13 and Katha, now age 70 who lives in NC was 12 - at the time I don't think Austin was yet 2,500 and when I moved in 2022 Austin proper, within the city limits was just about a million plus including the huge growth that is seamlessly part of Austin in 4 surrounding counties it is 2 million 4 thousand - in the 60s and through most of the 70s these surrounding areas were still mostly ranch land.

I forget that this was the first mass school shooting and yes, a young man with a high powered riffle that at the time was more powerful than the riffles used by the police or the Texas Rangers - however, there were students scattered among those on campus that day who were Viet Nam vets and from what the story is saying their expertise helped to keep the slaughter down from even more deaths along with most students back then had a riffle in a gun rack in the back window of their pickup so that students were firing out of classroom windows that slowed down the carnage. Reading this it is all coming back - how we dressed, the way we lived, the short cut way we talked to each other and the heat - reading how it burned those who were shot when they landed on the concrete - if you have never been this far south in August words cannot describe the searing heat out from under a tree.

So far the story is being told from the memory of one of the female victims who had only heard someone in the halls singing to themselves Monday, Monday the song made popular by the Mamas & the Papas and minutes later during the ordeal after she was shot the song stayed in her head so that she did not know if she was hearing it or if it was in her head therefore was she alive or if the song stopped did it mean she died, not realizing how tiny she appeared from the top of the tower her thought, if she opened her eyes would the shooter see and shoot her again - her arm had been almost completely severed and she was also shot in her chest - and so the book is titled Monday, Monday

Frybabe

« Reply #24118 on: September 16, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »
Barb, no, this Inspector Dreyfus is with Panoply in the Glitter Band which circles around the planet Yellowstone. His story is a subset of Alastair Reynolds' series Revelation Space.

As best as I can tell, the cyst isn't affecting my eyesight much if at all. What my ophthalmologist told me was that the bigger it gets, it will pull my eye out of shape. It probably contributes to my dry eye too. I am not sure that the surgery is necessary, but it has gotten a little bigger lately. At any rate, the surgeon does not think it is cancerous.

My newest library selection is Clear (2024) by Carys Davies. It is a tale set close to the end of the Highland Clearances. In this story, to supplement his income, a poor minister has accepted the task of evicting the single remaining occupant of a small island north of Scotland. While many of the displaced farmer/herders had to find work in fishing and other industrial enterprises, in the secondary phases of the Clearances, the US and Australia received the benefit of "forced emigration". The estimate I saw was about 11,000 were resettled here and around 5,000 were sent to Australia. Vogue and Amazon list it as one of the best books of the year.

bellamarie

« Reply #24119 on: September 16, 2024, 02:13:42 PM »
Pat, how exciting to travel to California to spend time with Joan.  I'm sorry to hear she is bedridden, but it sounds like she still has a very good attitude.  I am so happy to hear she has family living with her and close by.  I can only imagine how the two of you had so much to talk about in person.  My younger sister and I talked and laughed nonstop, and no one got our humor.  We were so different in our political views and some social justice issues, but the best part of our relationship was we never allowed it to get in the way of our sisterhood.  It will be a year since her passing Oct.30th, and I still have a hard time realizing she is gone and no longer here for us to have our fun visits. We weren't much on talking on the phone, but we would use Facebook to share lots of things going on and text message each other.  My memories pop up on my Facebook of her pics and posts and gosh it takes my breath for a second because unlike photo albums where you can pick one up and glance through if you want, the memory on Facebook is unexpected.   

Frybabe, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for your surgery.  Yes, while your eye heals you can enjoy your audio books. 

Barb, what a dilemma with you being allergic to most antibiotics.  I hope they can come to a solution for your Glaucoma surgery.  I'm with you, I would rather gradually lose the sight rather it be immediate.  Hopefully you will not have to deal with either.  Wow sounds like you decided to forget about the lighter read and chose Monday, Monday which sounds quite intent.  I have to say your comments on the church and the stance it's taken was so eloquently expressed, and I do agree with you.  Now, I have to ask if you finished The Summer of the Great-Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle and did you find it enjoyable?

My grandchildren are now back in school so that means sports have begun which means my calendar is filling up.  I love all the activities we are involved in with them but come Monday morning, I am believe it or not like the song Barb mentioned feeling these words from the song: 
Monday, Monday
So good to me
Monday mornin'
It was all I hoped it would be

So, I do need to find some time to get back to my reading, maybe find a few hours before turning in at night.

Ciao~  Bellamarie