Author Topic: The Library  (Read 2049285 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #17600 on: November 16, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
PatH.,
It's kind of corny, and you get a bit tired of some of the comic characters, but it's a good read too.

Yes, I thought the 1934 movie of Moonstone was a little corny, but I suppose the five episodes would be a bit more intriguing.

We just purchased a 60" Smart TV and love it!  You don't have to have a Smart TV to use Netflex, we have a 60" flatscreen on the livingroom wall that has to be at least 15 years old and we just hook up our Wii cables, and stream Netflex through that. 

I am so excited I finally found The Crown series and will have my hubby set up my Netflex to begin watching it.  Seems it began on Nov. 4th 2016.   Here is some info on it:

http://www.yidio.com/show/the-crown?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Search&t_source=64&utm_campaign=1125&gclid=COW_hPrfrdACFQQyaQod5P8OuA
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #17601 on: November 16, 2016, 04:01:34 PM »
I am loving the Crown

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #17602 on: November 16, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »
Yes,  I love Angela Thirkell, and have read High Rising: - fun fun fun - typical 1930s banter and yes, I guess kinda corny without a deep storyline - almost predictable accept for as Rosemary says a few of the characters. The young son who is such the chatter box and perfectionist - I have the Christmas stories but have not gotten into it yet. My library does not carry her books - probably too small a readership - they are better than most of the sitcoms popular today - or at least for those of us who brought up our family during another time.

Maybe I will get to the knitting I've wanted to do before the holidays - this weekend we finally get cold - been in the mid-eighties, windows open and even the AC comes on at bedtime to cool things off but a cold front is on its way and they are saying a week of temps in the 60s - pulled out my long sleeved Ts and heavy sweatshirts and even my flannel shirts and Pjs - now to get the house closed up and if I cover the outside water-faucets now I will not forget if we have a freeze especially while I'm visiting my daughter in NC - not going to be gone long this year but it will be nice to see everyone. I keep winter clothes there since I seldom need them here and it eliminates the difficulty of travel with luggage.

Suggestion - if you are like me your Holiday card list has been reduced in number - plus you may also have note cards that are seldom used any longer - the address for Walter Reed has been all over facebook and that opened us here in Austin to look into Brooke in San Antonio where Vets that are hospitalized for years could use some contact - I bet there is a hospital for Vets with long term damage or illness near your area - would be nice to send a few cards to be distributed to those who do not have family that can visit. 

Any cards sent to 5900 Georgia Ave, "Any Soldier," or to "A Recovering American Soldier" will be returned to sender because the address does not exist.

Those interested in continuing to write notes of thanks in a slightly different program, can join us in helping to provide service members, veterans and their families, cards to send home to their loved ones this holiday season! Deadline for Hanukkah, Christmas and Kwanzaa cards is Friday, November 30, 2016.

Items to include in each bundle:
3 blank holiday cards (same holiday per bundle and no glitter)
3 blank envelopes with postage stamps
1 short message to the service member (do not included contact information, only first name)
Bundled with a ribbon

Please drop off or mail completed bundles to:
American Red Cross in the National Capital Region
ATTN: Holiday Mail for Heroes
8550 Arlington Blvd
Fairfax, VA 22031

Those interested in assisting service members, veterans and their families receiving care at Walter Reed Bethesda, can also make a donation of something as small as chap stick, phone charger or a hairbrush that can make a serious impact. A full list of items we keep on hand to support those healing at Walter Reed can be found in the attached brochure. Call our office at 301 295-1538 for additional details.

actual military hospital wounded soldiers are taken to after they've been evacuated from the Middle East. Sometimes, they are further evacuated stateside after a few weeks, and sometimes they return to duty.
Landstuhl Red Cross
to any injured soldier
CMR 402 Box 2234
APO AE 09180

Brooke Army Medical Center, at Fort Sam Houston, TX, also allows people to send cards, letters, and donations to injured service members that are treated there.

Any injured soldier
Care of: LTC Riley
3851 Roger Brooke Dr.
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234

The National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD also allows people to send cards or letters to wounded Marines.

Any injured OIF patient
Care of: RADM Arthur, Commander
National Naval Medical Center
8901 Wisconsin Ave
Bethesda, MD 20889
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #17603 on: November 17, 2016, 03:41:03 PM »
I've just watched the 7th episode of The Crown and thought it was the most interesting so far........the whole scenario of her feeling the need for more education was very well done, especially her talk with her mother. The tug and pull about the private secretary focused the issue of desire vs tradition. Her taking control of her authority with Winston and his cronies, instigated by the tutor was just great!

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17604 on: November 17, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
Judy and Jean, isn't it wonderful? It continues to get better and better as it goes, too. I love it.

Winchester Lady, no I have never heard of Apple TV but I've been reading up on it and it looks like something I could really use. I'm going to check it out further, thank you!

Bellamarie,  it looks like the Smart TV is a very smart move!

Barbara, that looks a lovely thing to do, thank you.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17605 on: November 17, 2016, 07:06:45 PM »
Yes, I'm in the middle of watching The Crown, too.  So far  I keep noticing how often she seems to do the wrong thing, make the wrong decision, allow others to influence her instincts.  Maybe that's a theme for her reign, I don't really know,(or a theme for the scriptwriter), but what keeps returning to my mind is her bad handling of Diana's death until the last minute.  Did she really have to be advised to be more open to the public, did she really need to be told how to handle it. 
I remember my mother talking about the Margaret- Townsend thing and she said the country was in favour of the romance and against the royal shut down.  "She never got over it"........"a shame, her father would have allowed it"....voice of the people...via my Mom!!!

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #17606 on: November 18, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »
I am sure we all join in supporting Ann in her dark times. RIP Ralph

Frybabe

« Reply #17607 on: November 18, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
Oooooo, just a note regarding the possibility that Cranford will be the January pick which was mentioned in the Two Old Women discussion. I have it on my readers courtesy of Project Gutenberg, as yet unread. If chosen, I will be participating.

bellamarie

« Reply #17608 on: November 18, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
Ann, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I too have just begun watching The Crown.  I finished episode 2 last night and hope to watch a couple more tonight.  Like someone else mentioned earlier, I want to savor watching it so I won't hurry through and marathon watch.  I like how the movie shows the real love between Philip and Elizabeth.  He had to take a back seat so early on in their marriage, when they stopped him from walking with her as soon as she became queen was a bit much for him to realize how quickly things were changing.

Dana, I have read quite a few books that dealt with Princess Diana and her relationship with Queen Elizabeth ll.  There was no love lost, so yes, I can see why she would have to be told how to handle dealing with the death of Diana. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17609 on: November 19, 2016, 08:02:41 AM »
Winchester Lady, thank you again for that nod to Apple TV. The Consumer Reports yearly Buying Guide came and in it (I was looking for stoves) there was an article on that type of device, there are MANY of them, which turn your TV into a Smart TV and allow streaming and much more. In the course of reading the article (the little devices are very reasonable, too) I discovered that the new Hopper from Dish apparently performs the same function, if I read that correctly, and so am going to call them, we have 2 other early versions of the Hopper (the free ones),  but it's even got a Netflix setting on the control and an Amazon one and it just so happens I have a  TV here which is in need of a DVR device. I wonder if it does PBS, that's the next thing to find out, I WANT Wolf Hall again.  The Hopper may be our solution,  IF it can tape what it streams, that I still don't know but I will.  So thank you for mentioning it.

There's a new APP out called Sea Hero  Quest that the BBC was talking about yesterday for IPads, etc., which aids in Dementia research by testing the ability to navigate directions. In playing the game, the research is anonymously sent to researchers who are testing the decline in ability in following directions in people over 50. My grandson did it first and boy he whizzed right thru the first several levels, making "me" look good. hahahaa.  Then I did it and I seemed to do OK as far as  I went,  except for finding that the little boat is quite difficult to control well in the upper levels, and that slows you down a bit. I wonder if any of you have tried it?  I mean when there are lots of twists and turns, the boat is too responsive and bangs up on an iceberg or whatever.

I will warn that if you're easily frustrated perhaps this is not the game for you in the upper levels, and I'm wondering if the difficulty in controlling the boat (Dana will know this, what do you think, Dana?) actually might skew the results? When you have done a couple of games it thanks you and says that you've done the equivalent of 15 or in my case 19 hours of research.  Perhaps it's necessary to play the game about 7 levels to see what I'm talking about. It's cute. 

At any rate I've never  ever had a sense of direction so I'm sure my results will be frightening. hahahaa In fact to be honest, my sense of direction seems to be improving, sure sign that the Apocalypse is upon us?

Tomereader1

« Reply #17610 on: November 19, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Dish is very expensive, and the Hopper is an add-on to Dish Network.  Not separate at all, as well as I can remember.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #17611 on: November 19, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
There are a couple of interesting books coming out this month. Paul Coelho has one called The Spy which is  a novel featuring Mata Hari. For Robert Harris fans, look out for his next thriller called The Conclave. Both should be available this coming week.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #17612 on: November 19, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
For Ann Patchett fans -- she has a delightful story in today's NYT about her first Thanksgiving away from family and friends.  The title is something like " Collecting. Strays at Thanksgiving"

I'm sorry not to provide a link but am away from computer and am not real adept with the iPad that came with me to New Mexico. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Happy Thanksgiving, all. I'm herein Albuquerque with Judy and Liz (formerly  ew Yorkers) and mySeatt.e daughter and granddaughter are joining us soon.

Frybabe

« Reply #17613 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:20 PM »
Have a great Thanksgiving, Pedlin.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17614 on: November 19, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
Ginny, I'm glad the info on Apple TV helped  you a little.  I don't use it as much anymore now that we have a smart TV, but it still comes in handy at times.  Once you are able to start streaming videos from Amazon (many are free if you are a Prime member), you can get a service called ACORN (through your Amazon account) for $4.95 a month.  It shows all British shows and you would probably enjoy that.  It is difficult to keep up with all the new technologies available. I have never heard of the one you mentioned....Hopper.  I hope that will work for you.
~ Carol ~

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17615 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
Hi all - just back from a weekend in Paris, which was fun but cold (and Edinburgh is even colder, we had a sprinkling of snow today and temps around 2-3 degrees (C).)

I have not yet seen The Crown, but whoever asked about Prince Charles - yes, these days most of the Royal Family are divorced, although with Camilla the Palace PR people orchestrated a very slow introduction of the two of them as a couple. There was a lot of worry about how the Diana-worshipping public would take it all, but in the end I don't think anyone cared. It's very clear that Charles and Camilla were made for one another, and that he only married Diana because he was ordered to find a young, fertile, malleable bride (also Camilla was herself married at the time). With the 'lesser' royals, divorce has become commonplace - Princess Anne is on her second marriage, Prince Andrew is divorced.

My mother would agree that preventing Princess Margaret from marrying Townsend was a disaster. Margaret became a miserable, quite unpleasant, person I think, though she did marry Anthony Armstrong Jones, and although that marriage ended in an acrimonious divorce with appalling behaviour on both sides, Armstrong Jones has never said a bad word in public about her since.

The younger royals' marriages will maybe fare better because they have been allowed to marry whom they wish, although they do, of course, move in very restricted circles compared to the rest of us.

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #17616 on: November 21, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »
Rosemary,  I do think that Charles and Camilla was wrong cheating on their spouses regardless if every royal was known for it.  It was upsetting for me learning he knew full well why he was marrying Diana, she just did not know it until the night of the wedding.  She was young, innocent, in love and looking for her Prince Charming, family and happiness.  The night of their wedding she told in her book that he left her in one room, while he spent the night of their honeymoon talking to Camila on the phone.  He also wore the cuff links Camilla bought for him on their wedding day with the initials CC to mean Charles & Camilla.  When I read her book my heart hurt for Diana.  She began having an eating disorder, and self image problems, due to the way Charles and Queen Elizabeth treated her.  I was thrilled she became known as "The People's Princess" at least she knew others loved her, and were aware of how badly she was being treated.  There is no excuse for anyone to be treated this way, regardless if you are Royal, and have a lineage of divorces and infidelities.   I adored her with all her faults, because she became a survivor instead of a victim.  She raised her two sons to care about others.  The night she was killed I was devastated as the rest of the world was.  I have a beautiful Diana doll collection from Ashton Drake, along with many books of her, a commemorative plate, and a replica of her blue diamond ring that now Kate wears. 

Watching The Crown, I find I am actually liking Queen Elizabeth II, in her younger years, without letting my feelings of how horribly she treated Diana get in the way. 

How wonderful to spend time in Paris.  We got a dusting of snow here in Ohio on Saturday but our temps only got down in the 30s, I can't imagine being as cold as where you are..... brrrrrrrrr.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17617 on: November 21, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
I agree Bellamarie, but I think they were all victims of circumstance and tradition.

Charles was pushed into marrying Diana - he then behaved badly, I totally agree, but if they had let him marry Camilla when they were younger, it would have worked out. He was brought up at a huge distance (emotional and physical) from his parents, was sent to a famously barbaric boarding school (which he hated). These weird childhoods do not create sensitive, well-balanced adults.

The Queen has been brought up to adhere to tradition and to protect the institution of the monarchy before anything else. This was all drummed into her at an early age - she lived a life so far removed from 'normal' that we probably can't judge her by our standards. I don't know if you have seen the film The Queen, in which Helen Mirren does a brilliant job (IMO) of portraying her. She simply did not understand how the public felt about Diana's death; she was stunned.

Diana was indeed an innocent victim to start with. Her family, though not actually royal, were titled and very wealthy, and they encouraged the marriage. Later on Diana also manipulated the media, but I agree, she did not get a good deal from the royal family, the press, TV or anyone else for some time. She definitely did a good job with her sons - but again, the old royals could not understand her hands-on approach because this was something of which they had absolutely no experience.

We do not really know how the Queen treated Diana. We have Diana's version of events, but the Queen famously does not give interviews, nor discuss her feelings. It is said that she is very nice to Kate Middleton.

I think the real villains in the whole thing are the British establishment and the Palace officials. The latter have immense behind-the-scenes power. The good thing is that this next generation of royals is being allowed much more freedom to make its own choices. The royal establishment learned a hard lesson.

I don't know if you get the series The Windsors? It is a spoof documentary about the royals (mainly Kate, William, Harry, Camilla, Charles, Prince Edward, and Kate's sister Pippa Middleton). It is light-hearted but extremely funny. I wouldn't be surprised if the younger royals watch it.

Yes, still freezing here! My cats have had the heating on all day and they are still complaining!

Best wishes, Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #17618 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:53 PM »
One thing I like about Charles is his dedication to organic farming and sustainable agriculture.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17619 on: November 21, 2016, 08:17:41 PM »
 As some of you may know, Ann (Adoannie)  has just lost her husband.

She wrote:

We lost Ralph last night.😢💕. He was my best friend and I shall carry him in my      heart forever. He was taken care of by Hospice and donated his body to science. He was beloved by all who knew him and will be greatly missed. 😢💕💕.

I thought you would like to know. Our hearts go out to Ann, first Ella and now Ralph in a very short time. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I am so sorry, Ann.

bellamarie

« Reply #17620 on: November 21, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »
Ginny, Thank you for the update on Annie's husband.  It is an enormous loss to lose your best friend/husband, and Ella was also her very good friend.  She has barely had time to grieve for Ella and now this.  My heart breaks for her losses.  Prayers to her and all her loved ones.

Rosemary, 
Charles was pushed into marrying Diana - he then behaved badly

I feel he behaved badly much sooner than before being pushed into marrying Diana, considering he was having an affair with a married woman.  I understand it was expected of him to marry so he could have heirs, it's just sad an innocent young woman had to be the family's mark.  All that you posted about the Royals was pretty much the exact things I have read in the many books I have on them.  Diana did admit to manipulating the press in her tell all book, but when you are a victim of mental and emotional abuse I suppose you do what you have to in order to be heard.  I am following William and Kate and I just absolutely adore how the two of them are hands on with their two adorable children.  It is nice to see they are breaking away from as you put it victims of circumstance and tradition, as is Harry.  Oh dear, he is all a twitter with secretly dating an English model, and wooing an American actress.  I suppose it's a good thing he gets this all out of his system before marrying.

Yes, I have heard that Queen Elizabeth treats Kate very well.  Hopefully she learned from her mistakes with Diana and Sarah Ferguson.  Sarah also gave many interviews that corroborated Diana's accounts of how she was treated. 

Thank you for the heads up on The Windsors, I will have to check to see if I am able to get it. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #17621 on: November 22, 2016, 02:15:32 AM »
I found this list of 100 women authors and what book of theirs you should read first.  :D. Now who do you suppose read all those authors to figure that out. I suppose it was a collaborative of librarians. Eh, Frybabe.

http://www.wrl.org/books-and-reading/adults/100-contemporary-american-women-fiction-writers

Frybabe

« Reply #17622 on: November 22, 2016, 07:49:24 AM »
I haven't read any of those on the list that list. Well, maybe The Shipping News, but I am not sure. I did see the movie several times.

Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle is something of a modern classic isn't it? It crops up regularly in different articles and blogs and lists. I've only read her Brown's Sneaky Pie Brown Mysteries.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17623 on: November 22, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
I have only read three - The Secret Life of Bees, The Quilter's Apprentice and The Shipping News.

I am quite surprised to see the Jennifer Chiaverini (The Quilter's Apprentice) in this list, as although I enjoy this series, I would hardly say it was deep and meaningful stuff - quite light really.

I have seen the films of Fried Green Tomatoes and Girl with a Pearl Earring; have to admit I was rather bored by the latter - maybe I just wasn't in the right kind of contemplative mood. Loved Fried Green Tomatoes though.

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #17624 on: November 22, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »
I have seen Fried Green Tomatoes but not read the book.  There are a few titles I thought about reading but never got around to.  I can think of so many other books for women to read. Little Bee by Chris Cleave is one I would have put on the list.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17625 on: November 22, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
That's interesting Bellamarie - I could not stand that Little Bee book! 

And I agree, there are many books on that list that I have often thought of reading - I wonder why we've never got round to them?

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #17626 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
I tried reading "Little Bee" but did not finish it.

I need a bit of help here.  I am getting notifications in The Library, but all my other SL
boards don't seem to be arriving in my email box.  The "Notify" boxes are all properly checked.  Mystery Corner, Books Into Movies, Fiction et al are not showing up.  Anyone got ideas?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17627 on: November 22, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
I loved Jeanne Ray for Lots of authors I've read but not the particular book on the list - love Fannie Flagg for a fun read that always has some kind of life message. Several of even too light for me like Dorothy Allison - but some are wonderful - like:
  • Sandra Cisneros  from San Antonio,
  • Didn't we read Tracy Chevalier's The Girl with the Pearl Earring here on SeniorLearn
  • Louise Erdrich with all her stories of native Americans, Laughed my head off reading the chase scene in The Round House
  • Dorothea Benton Frank married to now deceased Pat Conroy and writes with the southern mindset, read her The Last Original Wife
  • Gail Goodwin's Father Melancholy's Daughter,
  • Alice Hoffman's Blackbird House,
  • Sue Monk Kidd but for The Mermaid Chair - Didn't we read The Secret Life of Bees here - was that the one where the little girl is in some sort of spelling bee?
  • Barbara Kingsolver we have read several of her books here on SeniorLearn - what was that one in Africa?
  • Jhumpa Lahiri- don't remember the name of the book but BBC read it over the radio as a series - something about an arranged marriage and they move to the US with the story telling of the love that developed and their son in collage - not exactly a light reader but nothing grabbed me.
  • Why isn't Anita Diamant on the list for The Red Tent, one of the early and best discussion we ever had.
  • Karon with all her Mitford village stories - listened to one driving years ago about Christmas and a local minister, can always depend on her for a heartfelt and fluffy story
  • Alice McDermott's ah yes, Charming Billy and The Bigamist's Daughter,
  • Terry McMillan writes fun stuff, I know her for How Stella got her groove back
  • Oh my, Toni Morrison - nothing light there - in fact a few of her books I struggled and never did finish. A Mercy was an easier read.
  • Joyce Carol Oates, The Garden of Earthly Delights and many many more.
  • Jodi Picoult has a new one out now Small Great Things - but I remember House Rules.
  • Belva Plain whose stories remind you of Maeve Binchy
  • Annie Prouix did Brokeback Mountain - we read one of her short stories here last summer or the summer before. She writes stuff that you can chew
  • I loved Jeanne Ray for Calling invisible women
  • Anne Rivers Siddons - a light read - read Up River and the sequel Down the River - nothing memorable
  • But oh oh oh award winning Leslie Marmon Silko - I read everything she ever wrote - along with, yes a Man but, the wonders of N. Scott Momaday, who received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1969 and another not on the list is Joy Harjo, is a Mvskoke/Creek, I have read all her books of poetry.
  • I know Jane Smiley from Early Warning
  • Susan Sontag has a great book about Photography
  • Oh and Amy Tan goodness I've read several of her great books.
  • Donna Tartt which reminds me I started her Goldfinch when it was all the rage last year and it is still on my kindle.
  • Gail Tsukiyama read her Woman of the Silk and have but have not yet read The Samurai's Garden
  • Susan Vreeland we read her Clara and Mr. Tiffany here on SeniorLearn -
  • Alice Walker - haha can't watch Oprah if you haven't read Alice Walker's  The Color Purple
  • Marianne Wiggins but for The Shadow Catcher
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #17628 on: November 22, 2016, 03:31:29 PM »
I tried reading "Little Bee" but did not finish it.

I need a bit of help here.  I am getting notifications in The Library, but all my other SL
boards don't seem to be arriving in my email box.  The "Notify" boxes are all properly checked.  Mystery Corner, Books Into Movies, Fiction et al are not showing up.  Anyone got ideas?

I don't know why you're not getting those, Tomereader.  Maybe if you go to those discussions and catch up on reading, the notifications will kick in again.  [I know they only will notify you of one message, so maybe something got messed up there.]

Frybabe

« Reply #17629 on: November 22, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »
Barb, the Jhumpa Lahiri book you mentioned is The Homecoming. I read it and saw the movie, too. Liked both.

bellamarie

« Reply #17630 on: November 22, 2016, 05:16:19 PM »
Tomereader and Rosemary,  We read Little Bee back in 2011 with this book club.   Maybe discussing it with others would have helped.   

mabel1015j

« Reply #17631 on: November 22, 2016, 11:45:59 PM »
Barbara - Frank was not married to Pat Conroy. He was married  to novelist Cassandra King. Poisonwood Bible was the Kinsolvier book on Africa. She has a new book Flight Behavior which is supposed to be very good.

Take note that the list is not of an author's best book, but the one you should read first. They tend to be one of the authors' early books or the first of a series.

Has anybody noticed how many recent books are about women in Europe during WWII, especially WWII in France?
Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #17632 on: November 23, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
Yes Jean, it seems like that time is written the most about.  I recently read The Nightengale by Kristen Hannah which takes place during this time frame in France.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #17633 on: November 23, 2016, 12:33:45 AM »
Barb, Pat Conroy's wife was the novelist Cassandra King. He has been one of my favorite authors for quite some time. Just recently, his editor and his wife put together many essays and letters he had written and published a book entitled, "A Lowcountry Heart: Reflections on a Writing Life." I haven't finished it, but what I've read so far is very good.
~ Carol ~

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17634 on: November 23, 2016, 02:18:18 AM »
thanks for straightening me out on Pat Conroy's wife Cassandra King - wondered if I had read any of her books and sure enough - Queen of Broken Hearts - Don't remember if she was on your list Mabel - Mabel, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the books on the list - just sharing the ones I read and if I read more than one from an author than I listed the one I liked and when I think of the author that is the book I think of - a lot of authors of fluff stories on the list so it was nice to see some authors that gave us serious stuff.

That could not be a complete list of women authors from the US - there were so many missing - Eudora Welty, Flannery O'Connor, Ellen Glasgow, Dia Reeves, Carson McCullers, Leila Meacham, Katherine Anne Porter, Karen Witemeyer, Kate Chopin, Harper Lee and many more...

Frybabe

« Reply #17635 on: November 23, 2016, 06:49:32 AM »

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17636 on: November 23, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
Rosemary, we do get The Windsors here on Youtube, I've watched the first one (Harry's masked ball) my gosh that is something else, isn't it?  It reminds me of Spitting Image, that old series with puppets about the Royals and others.  I used to love that thing. This one is really something, sharp and biting. It's a hoot.  Possibly a little cruel? Or is all satire cruel?  Laughed out loud over Beatrice and Eugenie trying to decide on a job.   Thank you for telling us about  it.   

Tome, yes we have DISH and they are coming out to put in this Hopper Tuesday, and three "Joeys," whatever they are, and this is all free, the "boxes" and the  installation due to a glitch in the last upgrade they did for us. No longer will I have to leave this desk and room, cross into another and then point a controller across a third room to that TV to control the one sitting next to my elbow, so that will work out. The things we put up with!

The Hopper  does not get Amazon and it does not  tape anything that does not originate on DISH, but now all the TVs will record. Shame I don't watch much TV. Now I don't have to I guess, it will record for me. hahahaa But it's worth it for Netflix to see it on a larger screen, where I already have streaming and the bit about watch anywhere also is nice, IPad, whatever.  There is a $15 dollar a month fee for the Hopper but it removes commercials, also nice.

I need to look into Acorn, Winchester Lady, because I love those Acorn things and in fact Edward and Mrs. Simpson (the Edward Fox one with Nigel Hawthorne) is from Acorn too.  I had forgotten how much intrigue from the different ministers went on, it gives you a good idea,  like The Crown does, of the infighting and manipulation.  Nigel Hawthorne (Georgie in Mapp and Lucia) eats up the screen, as Monckton,  he really does. Super super cast. Best portrayal of Wallis Simpson I've ever seen, woman was ugly, but this actress tho made up to look like her,  is attractive, tho I  can't imagine the allure. I guess she just spoke to something in him somehow.

That's an interesting list, Jean. I totally agree with A Thousand Acres and The Joy Luck Club. I see it's Contemporary Authors which explains a lot left off. I also agree that quite a bit of the selections are "light fiction." I  like also Elizabeth Taylor (Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont), and The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald.  They have both passed on, that may be why their works are not included, but they are contemporary and very good.

Happy Happy Thanksgiving to all!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17637 on: November 23, 2016, 11:08:23 AM »
Ginny - glad you were able to see The Windsors. I know what you mean about its similarity to Spitting Image, but I don't find it quite so cruel. They also (at least so far) avoid the Queen herself, and tend to stick with the Charles, Camilla and the younger royals, who I think can probably take it (in fact, as I said, I bet they watch it). Their send up of Prince Edward is a hoot (he is incidentally the only one of the Queen's children who seems to remain happily married to his wife). And William is also hilarious - not wanting to be a royal, just an 'ordinary person who knows how to work the washing machine' - he even has aspirations to be an estate agent (??realtor).

How fabulous to have a dish that removes adverts! I haven't even heard of most of these gadgets - all we have is a TV with a recorder. My husband is still holding out against Sky because he so despises Rupert Murdoch, and I can understand that, though it would be nice, on occasion to have channels like UK Gold and Sky Arts. But really I think we already have more than enough to watch and not enough time to watch it in.

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17638 on: November 23, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »
Those are pretty gruesome, Frybabe.  I knew of some of them, but not the worst.

The glass slipper--I read that in the medieval tale it was made of vair, a heraldic fur, but in the translating from Old French to modern, it became verre, glass.

LarryHanna

« Reply #17639 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »
Ginny, I predict you will like the Hooper and the related Joey's.  We put in this system with Dish when we moved here and it works very well. 
LarryBIG BOX