Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1969408 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #23840 on: March 14, 2024, 07:13:33 PM »
Barb, the book Gossip sounds interesting.  I may have to check that out. 

Frybabe, I am so glad you found your other two tablets.  I have an apple iPad it was the first one with color and can basically do almost anything a computer does so it comes in handy as my e-reading device.  I love the size of a tablet versus an iPhone or laptop for reading.  But the feel of a book in my hands, turning the paper pages will always be my favorite way to read. 

I am not familiar with Taleb, I'll have to look him up.

Well, we saw Cabrini, and I must say it was a remarkable movie.  I had not heard of Mother Cabrini until this movie came out.  Barb, that is interesting how as a child at school you were praying for her. 

Mother Cabrini was a small Italian woman who heard her calling from God and goes about achieving the unthinkable missionary works in a time where men held all power, and women were told to stay in their own place.  She trusted in God's plan, and as David was sent to take on Goliath, Mother Cabrini was sent to take on her own Goliath, the Mayor of New York City.

My ancestors who migrated from Italy went to Canada before coming to the United States in the early 1900s, so I can only pray they did not face the same treatment in Montreal as those did who came to the United States. It is heart wrenching to see the way Italian immigrants were treated in New York City, but Mother Cabrini did not let this stop her, if anything it gave her more resolve to help immigrant children living in underground sewers with rats and stench water up to their ankles.  She began an orphanage, and organized catechism and education classes for the Italian immigrant children. She established schools and orphanages despite tremendous odds. She begins the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus so she would have more help.  In her 67 years Mother Cabrini helped found 67 institutions of spiritual, medical and physical care across the world building hospitals, orphanages, schools etc. When Pope Leo XIII in the movie asked if she thought such a small woman could take on this mission she responded, "The world is not big enough for what I can do." She knew it was God who would use her, and she quotes Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

She became a naturalized citizen of the United Sates and was the first American to become a Saint.  She is the patron saint of immigrants.

Ciao~  Bellamarie

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #23841 on: March 15, 2024, 12:20:48 PM »
Love the cartoon!

Right now, I am inclined to sleep through the rest of the day. The house is finally cleared out. I meet with my realtor on Monday for a walk through.

bellamarie

« Reply #23842 on: March 16, 2024, 01:45:38 PM »
Frybabe, I have no doubt your house will sell very quickly in this market.  There is such a shortage of houses for sale that they are grabbed up as soon as they are listed.  When we even consider listing our house our biggest concern is we will never find something in our price range before our house would sell leaving us with nowhere to go.  Most owners will not go contingent to your house selling like in the past because there are just too many buyers out here ready and willing to pay cash!  So, I suppose we will stay planted here and continue with repairs and a possible room addition.  Rest, read and relax through your weekend. 

I'm now shopping for a new sofa and egads am I ever sticker shocked!!  Can't imagine what a new mattress is going to cost me, and my new dishwasher I just purchased after being without one for five years was a few hundred more than I anticipated.  What frustrates me the most is all the add ons that just keep the price going up.  Ughhh...

Y'all have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!!  I am a wee bit O' Irish on my mother's side of the family so I will be going out for a jigs dinner! 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Tomereader1

« Reply #23843 on: March 18, 2024, 11:22:29 PM »
I'm reading "The Marriage Portrait" by Maggie O'Farrell.  About Lucretia de Medici, third daughter of Cosimo de Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany.  Lucretia was married off to Alfonso II,  Duke of Ferrara at the age of 13. Talk about dysfunctional families...wow. Lucretia's younger brothers were terrors at a young age, and grew into adults one would not care to know.  She did live with her parents while Alfonso was away fighting for France, but he returned when she was 15, and the wedding was on.     
O'Farrell's writing is beautiful, though the story is often "not".  I am about halfway through the book and although I can see the "end" coming, I will persevere, to enjoy her wonderful narrative.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #23844 on: March 19, 2024, 06:31:19 PM »
Tomereader The Marriage Portrait is still on my to be read pile - purchased it back last summer but still knee deep in boxes so I never did get to read it or several others that I just could not pass up.

Often wondered about these marriages among young girls that seemed prevalent up till the eighteenth and nineteenth century and still prevalent in Arab nations - learned about 15 years ago from a Broker in Austin who was successful and had finally shared her story as she was about to marry - She came from an Arab nation, forget which, I think Iran about 30 years before when she was age 20 - she was one of many wives that yes at the age of 10 was expected to be a wife to a man some 50 years her senior - the one plus was he expected her to go to school - but otherwise she had no fond memories - he had died when she was 19 giving her freedom, she had no idea where her parents were nor any of her family and on her own she arranged to go to the United States -

Long story short she was expected to act as a full sexual partner which was not unusual for young girls and so that allowed me to understand the many stories that include a child bride. I've no words - I just do not understand this aspect of men. I can better understand if both are young and it was the middle ages when most people died in their 30s and 40s but that is not the typical story especially stories that take place in the Middle East, Africa or Eastern Asia. But then it may be no different then what I learned back years ago when I hiked in rural Mexico and learned that with no birth control families in the rural areas were large often without the resources to even adequately feed all the children and so Fathers would take their daughters when they turned 13 into large cities and drop them off - no help or anyway to ever see their family again and of course they became street prostitutes in order to survive.

So many discussions over the years how to remedy some of this and out of it we all had to face one fix always ended up affecting something else - on and on it is like the old song the ankle bone is connected to the leg bone is connected to the knee bone is connected to the thigh bone and so forth. It would be an interesting bit to research and learn how some of the western world evolved out of this practice of using young girls as throw aways.

Frybabe just using my own experience for understanding your move to smaller digs was herculean on your part. Are you renting or buying your new digs? That had to have been a major emotional experience getting rid of so much and now making a smaller place your home - I did not go much smaller at all but less rooms by one bedroom and far less usable closet space but like Bellamarie's concern, for me it was a case of using the sale of my house to purchase another and so my choice was what was on the market at the time - You sound like a smart and able seller who had your new location all set before you put the house on the market - now at least the choosing is done it is the unpacking and making it a home - hope your now empty house sale is smooth and successful. 

Bellamarie Yep, sticker shock is the perfect word - had not thought of it but yes, you are right, the price of appliances goes higher it seems like every other month - but then if you are going to stay and you are in your 60s I'm betting you've got nearly 20 years before you revisit the wisdom of a move and so you will have plenty of years to enjoy your investments in appliances and furniture.

With so many conveniences going on the market like chair lifts so stairs can be avoided you may end up being just fine for the rest of your life. I'm thinking like so many things were changed because the Baby Boomer's were experiencing similar needs I bet there will be more and more conveniences created with a large market to buy.  And yes, need to find the movie Cabrini - for a few days about a month ago it was advertised when I turned on Tubi - I don't remember what channel or app or whatever they are called made the movie available.

The quarterly septic inspection today and while chatting I started to pull up burdock - good grief the backyard is full of it - what was one impromptu pulling of the weed became a marathon that lasted the entire inspection time plus and still more to pull - much yard work needed but last month was not a good one with one ache or pain and visits to doctors learning this was high or low or that is why the pain - shoot... but it had to start sooner or later I guess - however, between the smoke from the fires and feeling physically low nothing was done for over 6 weeks and now getting started again I need to get back in the swing of organizing my time to include getting this yard planted - need more trees and less open space where ahum the burdock thrives  ;)  :D  :o -

The group that cuts my lawn and other yard maintenance thought two of the big trees should come down - I'm determend to get them healthy again and just cutting the dead limbs is what I'm going to ask them to do - I would love to top the one but I'm looking and cannot see anything strong enought to take his body weight that would put him high enough to cut without loosing the entire tree top - never know though he may have ways I cannot imagine. His main buisness is tree service with lawn care etc secondary.

And now that trees have my attention I am torn - my book The Living Wisdom of Trees: A Guide to the Natural History, Symbolism and Healing Power of Trees arrived today (have y'all noticed the price of a kindle version is so much more expensive than a resale in good conditin including delivery costs?) Any how my dilema - last night watched on pbs the first of a two part Dante's Divine Comedy - fabulous - had to pull out my book and it was all there with more illustration than my book had - oh and watching last night the decent - the 9 behaviors that brings after death humans to the 9 depths of hell... had me examining my own behavior - interesting Dante has the 9th layer of Hell reserved for those sinners who committed treason and betrayal. Really do not want to pass up the second of this 2 part series and yet, the book about Trees is calling - I will probably simpley stay up late and do a bit of the book after watching the 2nd part of Dante.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23845 on: March 19, 2024, 11:56:38 PM »
Well worth again every minute of watching Dante - if nothing else all the tidbits - seems he along with Shakespeare had a resurgence of interest so the many books were published with their work in the nineteenth century - both had been out of favor for a couple of hundred years - also learned that when Italy was finally united as one nation the flag is the three colors of Dante's Beatrice's clothing when they meet in Paradiso and to this day in Italy the three greatest authors are Dante, Petrarch, and Boccaccio who lived and wrote within 6 years of each other. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #23846 on: March 20, 2024, 08:09:18 AM »
Oh, Darn! I ditched cable for streaming and now there is actually something on cable I would actually watch. I'll have to look see if PBS has a streaming app. I really want to see Dante.

Barb, I am renting in a small, quiet complex. I went from three bedrooms, one bathroom, a living room, a second semi open room (I assume was originally a dining room), a fairly large kitchen, a basement and a nice sized enclosed back porch to a two bedroom apartment with a galley kitchen, nice sized bathroom, open living/dining area with a foyer large enough for my big cedar closet, a tiny pantry, a linen closet (which is actually larger than the pantry), the laundry closet with its' tiny washer and dryer combo, a bigish under stair closet, and a small patio around which we are encouraged to, if we are so inclined, to do a little gardening. Because of the speed at which I moved everything, I brought more than I actually need or have room for, so I still have some culling to do. I guestimate that I culled between 1/3 to 1/2 of my books, the majority of which my house clearing guys boxed and set on the porch to pick up last Saturday to take to the library. Almost all my crafts had already been culled, but I still have plenty of knitting/crocheting and needlework books and several big boxes of supplies. Part of Monday and all of yesterday I pretty much crashed and slept, read or watched some TV. Today I am back down to business, I have my taxes to finish, plenty of shredding, some more shelf space to occupy, and the usual cleaning duties, not in that order.

Speaking of orders, I just sent for a footstool with storage for a spot that Oscar seems to like. It is on top of a box set at the corner between the hallway and living space with a commanding view of bedroom one (aka: computer/cat space), bedroom two doorway, bathroom, and the living room area. From that spot he can survey much of his domain. So, hence the footstool. It is about the same size as the box and has a small storage space for the small cat toys. How much you want to bet he doesn't use it? Also, I ordered a dimmable floor lamp for the living room corner. The opposite end of the living area has a light with fan, but the lights are very bright.

Sue has a shelf she doesn't need which matches my other two in style, but with four shelves instead of three. Yea! More book space. She has also offered her no longer needed all-in-one computer. I am debating on that one. This one is working just fine, but it is a desktop and the monitor has no sound (plus it needs replacing). If I take her all-in-one, I eliminate the speakers, the corded mouse and keyboard and the wiring associated with hooking up a separate monitor. This is a big boon where cats who occasionally like to chew on wiring is concerned. But then, I have to figure out how to get rid of this computer. The recycle place is miles away and charges 50 cents a pound to recycle electronics. State law, our regular trash haulers are not allowed to take electronics of any kind. Best Buy takes for recycle, but I think that is contingent on you buying something from them to replace  the recycled item(s). Decisions, decisions!

Barb, have you ever read Freakonomics and/or Super Freakonomics by Steven B. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner? They also speak to the connections and consequences of making one economic decision over another both at an individual level and at a national/global level. These connections also kind of remind me of James Burke and his series called Connections and how one invention or idea lead to another down through the years. And now we learn about DNA research and the connections down through the ages on another level altogether. It seems everything, but everything is connected one way or another and,  as such, affects others at some level.

bellamarie

« Reply #23847 on: March 20, 2024, 01:19:57 PM »
Frybabe, your new apartment sounds perfect!  As far as computers, I could never go back to a desktop.  I love the convenience of a laptop with no cords, since I charge it nightly.  They have come down drastically in price, which is shocking because everything else has gone up.  Luckily, once a year our church holds a recycle of all computers, tv and small appliances to either fix and give to the poor or they dispose of them properly, so I've been fortunate to get rid of mine that have been sitting around.

I finally decided on a new couch after 3 trips to the furniture store and scrolling online looking at hundreds of styles and fabric.  I tend to second guess myself way too much and of course end up usually getting my first one after driving myself and hubby crazy.  The saleswoman at Lazy Boy in Ohio could not have been any more rude or pushy the second time I went into the store, trying to force me to upgrade the cushions for $100 per cushion to a new product called Tempura which molds to your body as you sit on the cushion, then she was pushing a fabric protection which I learned is no longer available due to it being harmful to breathe, and of course the 5 yr. extended warranty which is another $150 added cost.  So, the sofa was on sale for $1260.00 and by the time she was finished we were close to $2,000.  Oh, and to top it off... when I said I didn't care for the Tempura molding to my body her response to me was, "Well we don't like a lot of things, but we deal with it, like when you were a child, and you were told to eat your peas."  My hubby knew right then and there she had lost her sale. The nerve of her!   

I went to my small hometown in Michigan yesterday for a luncheon with my high school girlfriends, class of 70' and they recommended a store they all purchase their furniture from which is made by Lazy Boy.  Went into the store, NO pushy salesperson, he greeted us, asked what we were looking for, pointed us in the direction of the sofas and said he will give us time to look.  They had the exact Lazy Boy "Mackenzie" sofa as the store in Ohio.  I asked about the fabric protection, and he said they no longer offer it due to health hazards.  Imagine that!!  He never even mentioned the Tempura upgrade. When I asked about it, he said Lazy Boy's products are top grade and the sofa I am buying is one of the most popular sofas and rarely do customers choose the Tempura cushions. He also gave us a discount since my hubby was a veteran.  So, we walked out happy we bought from my hometown and gave the sale to a very polite salesman just starting out.  We will go back and purchase a mattress from them as well. 

Barb, I will have to check to see about finding Dante on my Direct TV. 

I'm still reading the sip & chat book Rebuilt Faith and haven't had time to begin another leisure book with being incredibly busy with the grandkids school and sport functions.  I'm ready for things to slow down.  I bring a whole new meaning to March Madness.  I've filled out my brackets and can't wait to begin watching the games!

Ciao~  Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23848 on: March 20, 2024, 05:01:00 PM »
Ah getting rid of electronics - a challenge here where as in Austin not only did the neighborhood have a bi-annual event where we brought things that required special care from oil, paint and then electronics and any other special item the weekly recycle truck did not allow and then the neighborhood chipped in the cost of a truck and driver to take all that was left at the high school outdoor basketball courts to the special collection centers - in town there were also two companies that you could bring anything that had copper wiring and they paid you by the weight or feet of copper - I sure miss that because here there is nothing - in fact they do not even have a special weekly pickup for recyclables - everything is thrown out in one and each family hires its own garbage pickup service of which there are at least 9 or 10 to choose from.

For Christmas two years ago my grandson who lives in Seattle sent me a wireless keyboard and mouse - actually the keyboard can be used on two computers but I can't figure that out - I have my old workhorse that I love and will use till it dies that is still using  windows 7 - since it is not for years now being updated and so few have windows 7 I end up with fewer crashes and fewer attempts to hack-in versus the other newer computer that is using windows 10 - on the 7 my photos are in the order that makes sense to me and using word is a dream - I have noticed some of the books I have ordered from Kindle will not upload on the 7 and I have to use the other computer to read them - oh there is a way but it involves going to the Amazon site and and and...

Frybabe your new digs sound like, although less space, the space is adequate and having the patio to me would be a saving grace - it must be a two story unit if you have closet space under the stairs. In fact from your description the unit sounds so much like the condos in Austin that were not far from me that I thought of for myself at one time - decided the cost of moving was not worth the swap especially since there was no easy way to do grocery shopping without getting onto a busy road and in fact there was nothing except places to live where as I was used to a few streets away shopping, deli, Chinese, the library, the cleaners, the post office etc.

That was another plus that you arranged for yourself - being there when those who packed you up and moved you where doing their job - I'm still sorta numb in that I've still a few boxes to go and have not found my family photos or my mother's sheet music and with each box I open expecting to find what I had packed in them the movers decided to use the box for other things and so I'm having to open every box rather than just leaving for later in the tops of closets unopened boxes I had packed that I would not need contents till later... I'm now beyond crying and feel numb - my plan would have had me finished last summer or at least before this past Christmas - no sense is dwelling it only racks up feelings that I have no outlet for.

Frybabe you said this was a rental - do you think you will stay there or in time buy which of course means going through this moving process yet again. And you also with the material for planned projects that you have not gotten to yet... I'm beginning to doubt I will get to all of mine and I'm finding you cannot even offer things like knitting yarn to others - so few do any handwork anymore. I can see now how beneficial it was for you to listen to most of the books - it left you free to do handwork or other tasks while listening -

When this house is finally organized I may get a laptop - if for no other reason than watching TV - I think you can do that now and where I have the big screen the sellers left in the living room and also a screen that Paul and Sally gave me that is currently in the dining area - it is too big for the dining area and will go into the bedroom that has the hide-a-bed and my desk plus shelves of books and since I don't have anyone over for dinner or supper I'm thinking of turning that table into a combo desk, reading area with a lamp much like you see in Victorian homes so that a laptop would be perfect to have handy plus I could bring it over to the kitchen and even bring it with me when I watch TV in the evenings - it would be perfect if it was one of these larger screen combo phone internet kindle things - that way when the phone rings I do not have to get up and attempt to hurry to another room or even cross a room to pick up the receiver. Somehow you can see the person you are talking to - Don't know what I'm talking about but I have seen this kind of device used and I think my sister uses something like it.

Y'all I can't recommend Dante enough - just fabulous - well done - I notice the CD of the entire two parts will not be available on Amazon till May 28 - it appears to be a PBS documentary - I thought it was wonderful on so many levels - information, historically, the story of Dante's life, his poetry, just enjoying the book but it drew me in so that I was examining my own life during the sections on the Inferno and the terraces of Purgatory - it even gave a view of Paradise that made sense and was in keeping with the words we read about what is and where is Heaven and an interesting take on the living.

Oh Bellamarie I 'love' you sofa shopping experience - yes, yes, yes there are sales people that treat you not only honestly but as if you have a brain - looked up the book you are reading Rebuilt Faith which reminded me of the daily read that I've been doing You Set My Spirit Free which is also a 40 day daily however, I get so wound up in the daily reading I end up dwelling on it for a few days before I can take on the next day's reading where as your choice sounds more like encouraging action to have a closer 'communion' with others. Found what I thought was a good documentary explaining the change (losses) in the church that you may be interested in - there is a facebook page of those who prefer the traditional Mass and it was included on that page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpueU-Xxhcc 

Haha Bellamarie you are going for March Madness and here I am anxiously waiting for the 28th when the opening game for the season has the Astros playing the Yankees.

Oh yes, Frybabe never read but heard about Freakonomics - sounds like you read the books - in your estimation would it matter to read Think Like a Freak: The Authors of Freakonomics Offer to Retrain Your Brain without having read the original Freakonomics In any account to buy second hand in good condition including delivery charges is now half the price of getting it on kindle - sheesh...

Oh nice - just had a delivery from LLBean - and the order turned out perfect - so often what is shown in a picture is off a bit - this time the colors are perfect, a seersucker long sleeve sorta plaid shirt with two shades of a pinkish color crossed by an off blue and a green and then two Ts - one the pinkish rose color and the other a deep cranberry - all is perfect - perks up my Spring - in the meantime packing 3 boxes of clothes I never wore this or last winter or spring - so much warmer here than in Austin so no sense in hanging onto coats and heavy long robes or even the tennies - walking is no longer my long suit therefore one pair of tennies is all I need - finally culling some of my darker colored Ts that I used to wear under a silk shirt when I was working - think I will hang on to the silk shirts before I get rid of them but for sure the silk pants go... I've a couple of crepe and for winter a couple of fake suede where as for around the house lots of cotton and jeans haha I'm set for life...! I do like those Minnetonka Moccasins and so I'm sure there will be more of them purchased since they do wear out. Hmm now that I do not have to dress so conservatively I may treat myself to a beaded pair. Do you know the moccasins are STILL HANDMADE - amazing in this day and age... I should send them a thank you note. 

Frybabe

« Reply #23849 on: March 20, 2024, 06:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses Bellamarie and Barb. Several things happened today after my last post that you may find interesting. First, I got a call from my realtor. She is considering buying the house herself to fix up and resell. She needs to have her parents look over the place on Friday to get their opinion. I am kind of interested because she said she thought she could offer my target price (aka: minimum), but I won't have any commission to pay, just the regular nonsense like the state real estate transfer tax (1% here), notary, and other normal fees that go with transferring property. Bob, my contractor who has a background in real estate, wants me to call him, so that is what I am going to do tomorrow. Second, it got very windy today. I went out and put it sideways so it wouldn't blow into and/or rock itself into damaging something. Well, it managed to travel over into the yew bushes anyway. Now it is residing here in my spare room. I had to move stuff around to get it in and now it overwhelms the room. I think I will have to get rid of it. 3. Impetus to take Sue up on her offer. I got a message from HP today via their support assistant app. They are discontinuing support for my machine this month due to parts no longer being manufactured. They are, of course, encouraging me to upgrade to a new HP. I love HP's but I don't think they can top my sister's offer.

Barb, I didn't know there was a third, so I can't offer an opinion. Sorry.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23850 on: March 20, 2024, 10:15:35 PM »
OK Frybabe I'm going to pull a real estate broker recommendation on ya --- here is what I would say to anyone I was working with that was considering they could get more if they stay on the market longer -

First, knowledge we learn,  stats show your best offer is your first offer - IF stay longer on the market hoping for a better offer -
1. Your risking a change in the market as money gets tighter -
2. your risking something that will take an expensive repair showing up that even if you do not make the repair it would affect the price the appraiser could suggest to whom ever the lender is that is requiring the appraisal.
3. Your guaranteeing a closing soon so the money is worth what it worth now that will be less valuable months down the line -
4. Your assuring no more traffic going through the house of which some potential buyers can do innocent damage and there is always the risk of some who can be mean spirited and plug up a toilet or some other damage -
5. You have the freedom  with an early close to use your time and mental energy for what brings you joy and not devoting it to concerns if not worry that goes with having your house on the market...

All that and probably more is worth a few thousand to you that you may or may not attract by waiting for a better offer... If there are others interested NOW than that is different.

NOW the big stuff if you do take her offer:

Everyone has an opinion including your friend Bob but, the only benchmark is a market analysis which is as close as you can get to an appraisal without paying the hundreds of dollars to obtain an appraisal that the lender may not accept since most lenders require an appraisal from an appraiser on their approved list.

Then, an appraiser nine-tenths of the time is going to appraise to satisfy what the bank is willing to loan - Getting the information for a market analysis is available as a paid service to Brokers, Appraisers, Bankers -

The information for an appraiser to price a property means gathering information on a minimum of 3 preferably 4 homes similar to yours (3 that must show similar repair work required) and, in the same area of town as yours and, using the average of what they sold, the sales must have taken place within the last 6 months - this is similar to the work your agent did providing you with a market analysis however, there is more for the appraiser.

If there are not 3 similar to yours nearby then it gets tricky because you have to know what area in town an appraiser would use as similar and what subtractions or additions the appraiser would use to come up with a price if the area chosen reflects any differences - e.g. your area averages $300 a square foot while the other area shows an average of $290 a square foot or your areas is closer to town or the houses are newer or older etc.

Also, if the repairs are not similar, using a chart used by appraisers in your town they come up with additions or subtractions to your over all value based on pricing out the repairs on each property and then using those values to make the average.

If your broker is getting a loan from a bank to make the repairs she can either arrange for a mortgage that the construction loan will slide into and either pay off or some mortgage loans allow the borrower to pay for several years at a higher rate that compensates the bank that loaned the construction loan.  If she can buy cash without a mortgage, then she can simply get a construction loan for the repairs and updating (getting the loan on the updating part requires more and other information that comes into play for the construction loan) then after the work is completed she may be able to find a mortgage lender who will replace with a longer term loan for at least the amount of the construction loan from the Bank and in some states it would be legal for them to take within their mortgage some of the equity covered by the cash buyout -

You have no idea if she has money behind her that allows her to pay cash and so... If you go with the agent's offer then in order for you to get the information you need and to have the legal representation you need you MUST ask for her to assign your listing to someone else in the office - She is a buyer now and can be her own agent if she wishes but she cannot be your agent while representing herself -

Oh it can be done and in some states it is not illegal but, for your best protection if you go ahead and agree to her making the purchase DO NOT put anything in writing till you have an agent that is working for you -

The brokerage fee that is normally split between buyers broker and sellers broker may be slanted since she did acquire and do all the work to get the listing, price the listing and get it on the market - however, that will be an agreement between her and the agent she chooses and if this were taking place here in Texas it would be on a form with complete disclosure to the split - the disclosure is included with the papers to purchase.

If you go with Bob who does not sound like he is in her office than you have to get out of the listing agreement with her or, if she assigns your listing to him they can work that out between them - However, he may not want to do it for a referral fee as an agent in her office may do. Contacting him and asking him for advise as a friend is one thing but it could really legally mess things up if he holds Real Estate license.

Once he starts researching and coming up with numbers for you then that constitutes his working for you - even if he wants to do it as a friend - and so as difficult as this will feel please save yourself some grief and do it legally. If he is just giving you his opinion then it is not legally based on anything but his feel for real estate which is then not backed by the recent sales in your area unless he closed a sale within the last 6 months in your area -

Now if your agent is a one women office then yes, work something out where she will legally give Bob some sort of split that may not be the typical 50/50 since she did do the work to get the house on the market however that will be between them.

Sure it sounds easy to have her do both sides of this deal however there are still lots of potential landmines that agents take care of without the buyer or seller ever realizing - for the unexpected you want someone who has your interest totally not someone who is also looking out for the affect it may have on them.

OK dutch uncle speak-out over...  ;)     

Tomereader1

« Reply #23851 on: March 20, 2024, 10:52:03 PM »
Dante is/was on PBS, so you don't get local PBS station? Also, within a short while, PBS will offer a DVD of the series in their catalog: Shop PBS.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23852 on: March 21, 2024, 12:48:55 AM »
I'm curious about Dante on TV:Was it a reading aloud, or a dramatization?  And if it's reading, whose translation is it?  I've read portions of two, John Ciardi, who is admired and I don't like, and Dorothy L. Sayers, who is sneered at by purists and I do like.
The poem is hard to translate because of the rhyme scheme.  It's in Terza Rima, with linked rhymes: aba, bcb, cbc,which gives the poem a feeling of rushing on.  That's fine in Italian, where practically every word you can think of has plenty of rhyming words, but not so easy in English.  if you ditch the rhyme scheme, you lose some of its drama, and if you keep it, you're stuck with a less literal translation, which is harder keep the meaning.  Sayers keeps the rhyme, but somehow I find Ciardi irritating.

The story of her translation is amusing.  During World War II, she was once stuck in a cellar as an air raid shelter with nothing to read except an untranslated Inferno belonging to someone else.  She didn't know Italian, but her Latin was close enough for her to get completely hooked by the time the raid was over, so she learned enough to translate it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23853 on: March 21, 2024, 04:35:42 AM »
dramatized that includes reading not as a separate activity but as part of the dramatization interspersed with a voice giving history, explanation and tidbits of information. Also a few professors interrupting the dramatization that sometimes is not dramatized but just the reading while seeing one of the illustrations included in many of the published books - the professors interrupting often give their opinion about Dante or about what we are hearing and seeing as it relates to the customs or history of the times - example what it really means during the middle ages to be 'homeless' wandering outside the security of the city gates.  It is like a super annotated dramatized read. No idea the translation used.

if you belong or would like to join or do a week trial here is the link to the PBS that I watched on my local PBS channel.

https://www.amazon.com/Part-One-The-Inferno-1216-1308/dp/B0CVV77ZYG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1W1PADDBDXJ7A&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Pw1D0YJOO8yophsbVBA01VDulxBeSBaVNVU8Lza8_vrDo5nGiejtWPdSEmJPUO_GlOxkpnvsBg7VBC5QbXR_CA.ahKSz1ueMyM6amtF2wiCj7KdDUCElTIw2DaQ1buzdbA&dib_tag=se&keywords=dante+divine+comedy+pbs&qid=1711009995&sprefix=dante+divine+comedy+pbs%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-1

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23854 on: March 21, 2024, 04:45:41 AM »
PBS had a half hour bit showing the actors talking to each other during their prep time before the start of filming - the actor who plays Dante has great English and grew up in the area and when asked he knew about Dante from early pre-school childhood. For him it was like he always knew about Dante he joked from Birth. Beatrice is played by an English actress.

ah Joanne did not know that PBS was offering the series to buy - good to know - it was so well done I am tempted to get a copy - for now I can still link on the show going to the local PBS channel.

Found the DVD version of the 2 part series that will be available through Amazon the end of May
https://www.amazon.com/Dante-Inferno-Paradise-Ric-Burns/dp/B0CY5HP7N9/ref=pd_ybh_a_d_sccl_22/134-9877893-8783657?pd_rd_w=ks6uG&content-id=amzn1.sym.67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_p=67f8cf21-ade4-4299-b433-69e404eeecf1&pf_rd_r=ZHWT0ZX14A22GJ8TYSAR&pd_rd_wg=3CYLE&pd_rd_r=f7076afb-b5c1-4cd5-9365-d2e60e7ef2ab&pd_rd_i=B0CY5HP7N9&psc=1

Tomereader1

« Reply #23855 on: March 21, 2024, 11:25:27 PM »
Amazon will probably be less expensive, but remember when you buy from PBS Store, part of the price goes to PBS, kind of like a donation.  That Amazon price seems very good; probably PBS will want $39.95 or more.

I really don't understand places (locations) that do not have any PBS channel(s) as part of Local Channels.  If I didn't have DISH, my local channels are ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS and a few lesser known locals which usually show very old TV shows.  I mean, I'm in Dallas, and you are in Houston, so I know we can get the PBS broadcast channels.  If you want streaming, you can get the Passport thing for annual $60 and see anything they have broadcast for years. 

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23856 on: March 22, 2024, 02:01:11 AM »
Agree Joanne - although some of what is on here in the Houston market is older than what was available in Austin but still it is my go-to station on Thursday night Saturday and Sunday nights

I had to budget my extra TV spending and wanted to be able to watch the Astros and so I elected to go with Fubi where there are I think almost 100 channels and lots of free connections to Freevee, Tubi and a few others that have movies that are in the hundreds. I do not have the TV in the dining area next to the kitchen hooked into the wifi box that allows me to have my computers and the big TV - it only has an antenna and hardly gets anything the reception is so bad.

I keep it mostly on the weather channel as company for me and whatever that weather channel is they get into what is happening in the part of the nation they are giving a weather update. That is also different than in Austin I had good reception and did not pay for any other service but then I there was no way even with a service I could pick up any baseball either from Dallas or Houston. But then in just the past 2 years there has been so much change to how we use and connect - my guess is it is being directed for the convenience of those who do everything on their smart phone. I'm not there but who knows - for sure things are changing so much faster than back just a couple of years ago...

Even PBS has changed and some of the programs I used to look forward to have a different cast of characters is the best way I can describe it like Washington Week in Review - so much is topsy turvey compared to how I think and so I'm ignoring so much and found a few new news connections while leaving much news type information and not getting into it... I don't think I ever knew a time in my entire life when politics has taken over just about every live program including those that have nothing to do with the news - I'm exhausted trying to keep up with how these reporters, or whatever they call themselves, can carry on showing all this outrage day after day without stop I don't know - although, there is another aspect of life and why I think driving is such a risk - I'm shocked to hear so may who I respected using drugs just everyday people who I thought of as friends, so that now I'm thinking half or more of drivers are on something and I'm now wondering about these TV reporters if they are on drugs just to keep up reporting with such outrage over everything.

Frybabe

« Reply #23857 on: March 22, 2024, 10:00:50 AM »
Barb, Christine's parents say the house is "doable" so, no appraisers, no inspections, etc. Oh, and her Mom "loves" the place (just like I did when I first saw it). They will take it as is, fix and it up for resale. Although the agency does manage a few rentals for others, they do not buy to fix and rent. She is sending me the paperwork to look at today, so I will be taking a look at that, checking the market again. According to what I have seen here, there are not many houses in Enola listed right now, let alone for one similar to mine. Many of those have already been sold and remodeled for resale (last I heard about 85% of the former West Fairview area are rentals). The Fed did not raise rates. Market trends are predicating not much movement in real estate prices for the rest of this year. My target price in about middle ground for similar houses selling in the expanded area right now. Considering I felt like I was living in "The House of Usher" for the past year or so, off-loading it quickly will only make me feel much better.

As for reading, I haven't taken the time for it the last few days except for listening to The Far Pavilions. I still have Dalrymple's The Last Mogul to finish. Picked up and discarded two or three fiction and
SciFi books. I got more print books on shelves. Need more shelves!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23858 on: March 22, 2024, 10:41:17 AM »
Sounds like you have it worked out Frybabe - did not mean to get in the middle of your transaction it was kicking in my past experiences helping - getting out from under will be so freeing - good luck... appears you've got a good and fair person helping you...

bellamarie

« Reply #23859 on: March 23, 2024, 03:11:28 PM »
Frybabe, how exciting your realtor wants to buy your house!  The way the market is today I had no doubt it would go fast regardless of who decided to purchase it.  Many people are buying, fixing up, and reselling for a nice profit.  When we listed my sister in law's house to settle the estate the first person who walked in wanted to buy it.  Everything went so smoothly we were a bit shocked.  We did come down a bit in price due to things we knew needed to be done.  Sometimes there is no amount of money that can give you peace of mind finalizing things. As for fair market price I would go to Zillow and check out listing now and past.

Barb, you are one sharp cookie filled with knowledge and great advice.  Today's market is so different than in the past, people are so anxious to sell and buy that it takes little to no dickering.  My neighbor has wanted to sell his two-story beautiful home due to health issues, his neighbor learned he wanted to sell and told him if he could wait until July, he will buy it and move into it and let his middle eastern brother's family purchase his home once he has completed getting his green card.  He agreed to not list his home and since he was not in a hurry to sell is willing to wait.  I only hope for his sake by July all is completed because he now has a one floor home, he is in the process of purchasing from a family member.  It's a risk but I feel it will go okay since the brothers will live next door to each other.  They eliminate the realtor so that expense alone gave them the incentive to make the deal. 

PatH., I know so little about Dante, thank you for the info of the different translations. 

Frybabe, somehow, I am not clear what you brought into your house due to high winds.

Barb, I am glad your clothing order turned out perfect for you.  I am waiting on an order from a site I have never ordered from and keeping my fingers crossed I have not been scammed.  It is international and immediately emailed me saying it would be delayed due to high responses to their sale items.  It may turn out to be "too good to be true. " We shall see.  Yes, my entire family are basketball fans, and March Madness is the exciting time of year.  Kentucky and BYU upsets have already hurt many brackets, but we rarely win its more about just filling them out, watching the games and following the bracket standings.  One year I won a small amount and last year my son won a couple hundred.

Well, tonight we kick off Holy Week with my hubby and I reading the part of the crowd in the Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ.  This is new usually the congregation does the response.  I think Fr. Jim just wants to be sure there will be participation.  This Lenten Season went by so quickly with Easter coming so early I have felt so off.  I think I have just been a tad bit too busy.  Yesterday we spent the day with our great grandson who is almost 2 yrs. old.  Took him to Playland an indoor play park then lunch and back home so we could go pick up our grandson from school and take him home.  By the time we got home we ate an early dinner and I fell asleep on the couch around 4:00, woke up at 7:30 and thought it was morning time.  I let the dog out and when my hubby came up from the family room, I asked why it was so dark outside at 8:00 in the morning, he laughed and said I have been sleeping for 3 hours and it is nighttime.   Talk about exhausted, I have never done that before.  I thought retirement was so supposed to be a time in your life you relax and enjoy being home.  Hmmm... I think I'm doing something wrong.

Ciao~  Bellamarie                                               

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23860 on: March 23, 2024, 03:41:02 PM »
A book site sends me daily kindle books priced usually 2.99 or less - yesterday there was a bio of Rin Tin Tin - he was popular movie 'star' before my time but he was still referred to and Lassie had not come along yet. I had no idea Rin Tin Tin was rescued in France near the end of WWI by an American soldier who took him home to LA and the rest is history... Sent a copy of the book to my daughter-in-law who along with all her boys each have a dog - Cody's dog is part German Shepherd but he is so busy working and going to college he has no time to read for pleasure. One more year to go so he is really studying hard - at least he is enjoying all his classes but working a 40 hour week leaves him little time - somedays his brother, who lives nearby takes Barkley for his walk. 

When my children were young we had a dog and I grew up with a dog but after the children's dog died they were all leaving home and working as I did my hours were far from regular therefore, I did not think I could take care of a dog properly - now I just don't think i could keep up with the walking and care but it is fun to visit Paul and Sally and Crockett, who is a yellow Lab. 

Another tidbit learned - I decided to save some dollars - I like sprinkling on my salads and sometimes on a backed potato Sesame Seeds - lowers blood pressure, promotes bone health, supports immune system, source of Vitamin B - running low and the jar I usually purchase runs about $7 - had about a quarter of a jar left and this time I purchased Mexican Sesame Seeds that were only $1.59 for a slightly smaller size packet. Well I poured the two together, mixed them up and voila a jar of seeds ready to go... I became curious why would Mexican Sesame Seeds but so much less expensive - had no idea how they were gown - did know most come from places like Ceylon and India.

Well it turns out they grow in pods from plants that further south are perennials but are essentially annuals that grow about 3 feet high and are grown as a crop like sorghum or corn just south of here. The growing range starts at 10 and here in Houston area we are 9 but we do have the long hot summers required - only problem unless a drought we have too much moisture - well upshot you can plant the seeds from the jar and I'm thinking of trying some - they take 3 months of hot weather before the pods can be harvested - and so a fun project for this summer.

Found a cookbook that uses Tahini (ground Sesame seeds) in Greek, Turkish, Iranian, North Africa, Middle Eastern recopies. And so if my planting is successful I'm imagining Sesame seeds galore - you can give away just so much and so I'm thinking I will get this book and try a few of the recipes.

I did find a novel written by Nuruddin Farah back in 1983 that sounds like a page from today... Close sesame: A novel
"the characters are deeply entwined in the waking nightmare of a police state. An old man finds himself poised in mortal combat with an elusive and cunning enemy in an atmosphere where the distinction between public and private justice is always obscured.

Close Sesame is a novel that offers "an eloquent indictment of the tyrannies committed both under Islamic law and in the name of Socialism""

No kindle version however a used copy including shipping is $6.14 - remarks include someone saying she is currently the best African writer today. Holding for later - we will see...

Well always a sucker for a freebee - Sesame and Lilies by Ruskin - a reprint with nothing giving a hint of what it is about - turns out it stars with Ruskin apologizing for tricking the reader to opening the book with the obscure title - then philosophizes on words, books, the Church after bringing up Dante  :) and finally education - found a rundown about the book online and evidently it will conclude going into the mysterious powers of literature.

Well so much for Sesame -and yes, of course, hundreds of books from Sesame Street - the number of books is so overwhelming it takes patience to find among them an adult book using Sesame in the title. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23861 on: March 23, 2024, 03:51:43 PM »
Bellamarie you posted while I was writing - the fact your neighbor is buying and selling within the family is typical of many who were not born in the US and keep the ways of their culture - saw this among the few I did work with from Korea - by working with one the word got out and next thing I worked with a couple of their friends.

Yes, Holy Week and saved the events leading up to and the crucifixion in documentary I have been watching on Matthew's Bible for this week. I've really enjoyed following the Bible Verses while watching these movies - brings the story to life for me rather than simply reading some archaic words and sentence structure.

When my children were young this was a busy week for me as I not only shopped for and prepared Easter dinner but the baskets that were hidden year after year were refreshed and of course appropriate candy purchased but also I usually made my daughter's Easter dress and one year when she was very young and we lived in Kentucky I made her a Spring Coat and my son, Peter a jacket... Paul was not yet born. And so during their nap time I would be busy sewing and then late into the night after they were in bed.

Are you planning anything for Easter Sunday?

bellamarie

« Reply #23862 on: March 24, 2024, 02:02:07 PM »
Barb, I agree, watching The Chosen and a few other Biblical movies seem to bring scripture to life.  I had to giggle because in the reading of the Passion it included the woman with the oil and the disciples questioning her wasting it... this just keeps coming up.  I love Holy Week it is a time for believers to relive Jesus's last days as a human and show just how much God loves us to sacrifice his Son.  I especially emphasized to my CCD 3rd graders today how Jesus even questioned if it is God's will could he be spared.  My hubby and I will participate in the Holy Thursday service of the washing of the feet.  It is truly a humbling experience.  Good Friday from noon til 3:00 we usually have quiet time with scripture reading and rosary.

As for Easter celebration we always have gone to morning Mass, then all the kids and grandkids come for dinner, egg hunt and open baskets.  This year will be different, since my one son Mike, and his family will be in Florida we will celebrate with our other son Jeremy and his family on Saturday afternoon.  My granddaughter has to be at the other family's dinner on Easter Sunday and our other granddaughter has to drive back to college on Easter.  We have had to learn to be flexible in the past few years with more extended family working in their schedules.  I will have a dinner with everyone in a couple of weeks.  I always made Easter baskets for everyone individually, but now that the grandkids are all older, I have begun doing each family a basket.  I will do a separate one for our little great grandson Haze. We played Easter Bingo last year and when each person won, they got to pick lottery tickets.  So fun!  I'm sure my hubby and I will feel a bit lonely on Easter Sunday with no one around, maybe we will just go out to a nice restaurant. 

Wow, Barb, I am impressed with your sewing skills for your children's Easter outfits and coats.  I sewed masks for senior care centers and Pro Medica hospital along with numerous of family and friends throughout the 2 years of Covid.  It kept me busy and was nice to get back to my sewing machine.  Now I have tons of material leftover that was donated, and I have no idea what to do with it.

Well, basketball games have started so I am off to see how my brackets fare today.

Ciao~ Bellamarie   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23863 on: March 24, 2024, 04:52:42 PM »
Yes once the grands are older with their own life the traditional activities for holidays no longer work. I've done a few Christmas' alone and many an Easter alone and still find it difficult - even being invited to share the holiday with a good friend and her family just does not cut it - realized so much of it was my participation and excitement over creating the celebration -

I've noticed those with a pet dog do not feel as lonely in they prepare talking to their dog the entire time but I am just not good and training and expecting an animal to act a certain way - a chill goes up my back in that I still think animals should be running wild in fields and woods or at least herding sheep or trailing along in outdoor activity but in the house I feel more like I am participating in caging as in the old saying a gilded cage.

At my age volunteering is no longer an option and having worked till I was 85 holidays was always a very busy time since buyers had holidays off or visiting relatives were considering a move and after the gifts were unwrapped they wanted to use the time while dinner was cooking to see property. For some dinner was in the early afternoon with the rest of the day free and for others dinner was in the evening with late morning and early afternoon free and so I was busy and then for years - 15 or more I drove to my daughter's in North Carolina at least a week before Christmas and stayed till the day or so after New Year - stopped doing that at 78 or 79 and flew a couple of years however, by the time I retired it became too much and have not yet figured out anything- Paul and Sally go to Lubbock to be with the boys who do not have but a day or two off and Cooper droves down from Denver to Lubbock - I'm OK for Thanksgiving since I always did share Thanksgiving with Paul and Sally.

I keep remembering a Detective Poirot movie where he is alone for Christmas and of course is called out to help solve a murder but his celebration is to be dressed impeccably sitting in a chair near a window with two pieces of chocolate and a good book - tried it one year but it falls flat - that is when I realized it was more about my participation in all the activity making the day special for others that I missed.

I finally think I have an idea - I think this year I will treat myself to a Christmas gift - found online sewing machines just for quilting - a fairly good brand only cost $150 although a better brand, like Singer was around $350 however, at my age I do not need a machine that will last and so I'm thinking the less expensive and then I too have a pile of fabric purchased with good intentions that I did not have the heart to toss... And so I'm thinking of making up yard square lap robes by getting some batting and facing two pieces of fabric maybe work in a pocked with batting between - there are a couple of hospital type retirement homes nearby and the spring like fabric that I have, including some ancient soft flannel, I could donate them to a hospital for Mom's who just had their baby or I may just make some layettes using my old old 1950s pattern and sell them - I would enjoy doing that and with a Christmas stollen to munch on with hot coffee - just the idea puts a smile on my face.  Once I have this house settled which should be this Spring I was even thinking of seeing of a place like Good Will had used dolls and making some doll clothes to donate dressed dolls - with no grand-girls and no sign any of these boys are getting married anytime soon I may as well just do the things I know how to do with the material I have and enjoy it...

One more I have wanted to do and kept putting off was get a tree branch - spray paint it white and make from scrapes, hearts and bunnies or even simple almost like cutting a cookie gingerbread man only decorate him with a hat and jacket - stitch in some eyes and a mouth - what fun then hang the hearts and bunnies etc. from the branch - could keep it up from Valentines Day to Easter.

OH yes, and Bellamarie if you get a chance this week - it would be a perfect week to read (although the books is enormous and would take weeks and weeks to finish) but see if you can find Dante's Divine Comedy on your PBS channel or maybe watch it free if you dare as a week's trial - it is perfect with the 9 levels of hell and the 7 levels of purgatory and then his concept of heaven or paradise - his life long attraction to Beatrice is not unwholesome - it is one of the wonderment books deeper and more soul searching then Shakespeare could ever have hoped to achieve and he was a literary giant.  I'm vaguely remembering we read it here but do not remember if it was before we became Senior Learn with we were still SeniorNet and if so I think I remember Jane and Ginny saying we lost all those discussions. At that, if I remember we just read the Inferno which is the 9 levels of Hell. 

Well here it is after mid afternoon and have not really accomplished anything - I need to - I was going to finish reading one of the several books I've started but also want to empty at least one of the three boxes left to unpack in my bedroom - I should do one of the boxes because I think it has things like sweat shirts in it that I have obviously not worn since I'm here and with the Veterans pickup this week I need to finish getting the boxes of clothes together than I am going to donate - and so it looks like reading will have to wait again...   

bellamarie

« Reply #23864 on: March 26, 2024, 11:17:25 AM »
Barb,  Yes, this is it in a nutshell...
realized so much of it was my participation and excitement over creating the celebration -

It is the excitement of planning and preparing for the special day, creating the joy for the family.  My mother never lit up so much as to when we all came for Christmas Eve with our kids in tow.  She was in her element, and I learned from her and have carried on all the holidays for the past 50 years, and now it seems my son and daughter in law are doing the planning and having us come to their house.  I really don't mind, but it's so different.  I still decorate my house each holiday regardless of who will host it. 

I love your idea of the branch with decorations hanging from it.  I purchased a new sewing machine when I began making the masks at the beginning of Covid. My 45-year-old Singer machine would not keep the top spool of thread on it and every now and then I would get going and off would fly the spool of thread across the room.  The foot pedal was taped up and would sometimes not work so hubby said its time to buy a new one.  I ordered it online from Joanne Fabrics and picked it up curbside. It was not an expensive one, but it is perfect for what I use it for.  You have given me a wonderful idea, I think I will take the leftover fabric and since they are already cut into squares, I think I will begin a quilt. I've never made one, but my neighbor has, and I can always ask for help if I need it.

Okay, going to go check out Dante's Divine Comedy.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23865 on: March 29, 2024, 04:58:15 AM »
and so the most difficult day begins - we will never really comprehend since we know the ending - cannot imagine what it was like those 2000 years ago having no clue

so many great actors and actresses along with several famous directors produced movies and documentaries of Matthew's Bible - started several when I could not find the one I was watching - all were so busy being great actors that the story seemed to only be a vehicle where as the one I've been watching that I found again on Tubi is quite wonderful - stopped watching as Jesus and the disciples were praying and sleeping in the garden - will pickup and watch between noon and 3:00

Had not known of the anger Jesus directed at the leaders of the church using the word Hypocrite over and over.  Then it was the Jewish leaders - I'm thinking since so much of what Jesus said were parables and metaphors it could be that at the time it was Judaism that today could easily be Christian church leaders.

And yes, Bellamarie there was the women with the perfumed oil - interesting seeing the small event that came across as just that a small event and to now realize how many saw something different for each pair of eyes reading that small event - makes me wonder how many Biblical events have influenced in various ways.

I thought the bit where Jesus tells his followers to listen and learn from the teachings of the church priests and leaders but not necessarily follow them as an example of how to live was eye opening and at the same time brings peace to confusion.  I need to read for a clear understanding that part again.

bellamarie

« Reply #23866 on: March 29, 2024, 07:27:24 PM »
I finished my book Rebuilt Faith during the 12-3:00 quiet prayer time today.   Ironically, I began this book for our sip & chat a couple weeks late, yet here I am finishing it on the 40th day of Lent, Good Friday..."It is finished."

Barb, in researching the word "hypocrite" in how Jesus used it, I found this: 
When Jesus scolded people for practicing "hypocrisy," He had a different shade of meaning in mind. The word "hypocrite" was used by Jews as a loan word from Greek. It referred to an actor or theater performer. When Jesus spoke of "hypocrites," He used the word to describe people who loved to conduct a religious performance in front of others. The word did not imply insincerity or a double standard as it does in English today. The "hypocrite" of the Gospels is anyone who performs religious duties for the sake of being admired by others

In my last chapters in this book Jesus deals with the church leaders through a parable.   

From the book:  The Pharisees grumble and complain that Jesus welcomes and accepts sinners, so Jesus goes on to tell a parable.
When we hear the world parable,  it sounds like a kind of homespun story that can apply to anyone, and indeed it is.  In our Western mindset, we think more in syllogisms and logic to convey truth.  The Middle Eastern approach at that time was very different.  It used stories to teach truths and make arguments.  And when well crafted, a parable might have multiple layers of meaning.  Jesus' parables are the work of a genius, in which can be found deep nuance and dense complexity.  One parable went like this:  "What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it?"  (Luke 15:4)

This parable begins with a question.  Since Jesus is addressing the Pharisees, this is a question for them.  He invites them to condsider how it would feel to be a shepherd.  That was funny because not only were the Pharisees not shepherds but also they looked down on them.  They despised shepherds.  According to their law, it was a proscribed occupation; no pious Jew could take it up.  Working as a shepherd would automatically violate dozens of religious rules and laws, such as keeping the Sabbath or maintainging ritual cleanliness.  It just couldn't be done, so shepherds were outcasts.

Jesus is deliberately using an illustration that would never have been part of the Pharisees' experience.  Why would he do that?  Jesus is teaching them about their real roles as leaders of the Jewish community.  In the books of both the prophets Ezekiel and Jeremiah, religious leaders are compared to shepherds because it was their responsibility to do what shepherds do: provide protection, direction, and provision for their "flocks."  (Ezekiel 34 and Jeremiah 23)  That is exactly what the Pharisees should have been doing and exactly what they were not doing.  Instead, they were only all about religious rule keeping.  Due to that approach they were losing people.

Jesus continues the parable, "And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, "Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep" (Luke 15:5-6) 
It is the mark of the strength, courage, and character of the shepherd that he rejoices when he finds it.  The party is for the shepherd himself.  He celebrates because he was responsible for something and now has fulfilled his responsibility.

For sure the Pharisees, the shepherds of Israel, were losing their sheep.  They were losing their sheep because they created religious obligations and demands that were impossible to fulfill. 

Jesus ends the parable: "I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance" (Luke 15:7)

Imagine how the Pharisees received that teaching.  Yes, I believe Jesus' parables were not only for that time and place but was meant to be throughout the ends of time, so they would apply to all religious leaders of all faiths, then and now and throughout eternity.

When I first began this book, I think I came at it with preconceived opinions and a bit of arrogance.  After finishing it I am so much more enriched and humbled.  Possibly my Lenten journey throughout these 40 days may also have given me the insight to have a more open mind to the book.  I would recommend it for all people regardless of where they are or aren't in their faith journey. 

Ciao~  Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23867 on: March 29, 2024, 09:49:09 PM »
Interesting - I need to look into it - I've noticed more and more are sharing bits of God's word on the internet - facebook and other web sites that are essentially social

Wow talk about night and day difference - I cannot even I don't know I am so floored - Unpacking from this move has been a nightmare with things not found - a few large things that were most likely left behind but so many small things that made no sense - finally down to the last two large boxes that were packed from my bedroom shelves and writing table drawers that I was told I would not need to empty since the drawers held very little and were small and only 3 of them - well they were emptied and so these two boxes held all that - the end of last week came to the slim black box that held my good watch was stored in  the drawer and the slim black box showed signs of mildew after having been in this garage for over a year - decided I better check on the watch and the box is empty - no 18 karat gold watch with its two 14 karat gold chain wristband that I purchased when I finally saved enough of the money I was earning after I started to work back in the very early 80s - my first big purchase to myself - paid just under $1,000 for the watch -

Completely emptied the big box and looked carefully through everything - looked through other things from my bedroom in Austin, now put up that I had unpacked earlier - I did have another black box that held at one time a less expensive watch and all the velvet insides from the box were pulled out and two old prescription eye glasses were in it.

Of course I was upset and one more time felt in the dumps so that I end up sitting and staring into space for a couple of days - there had been so many losses of things during this move so that I had gotten to the point where I pass the shock stage, pass the denial stage knowing I need to look further - or say to myself as Paul also says, 'Oh it will show up' - maybe that is denial - none of the things I'm missing have showed up and except for a few smaller boxes all the big boxes are empty now and so I am thinking I'm resigned - I thought - as I thought I was past the anger stage - certainly past the bargaining stage and seem to land on depression so that I cannot unpack for several days wanting to avoid more pain finding more missing things.

Well finally pull myself together and do more of the unpacking - 2 cloth storage bags that most people use to store blankets - I used them to pack for the move sheets, towels, decorative pillows, things like sweat shirts, folded pants both winter and summer, denim shirts etc. On the shelf above the hanging rod I had folded in the Austin house 5 see-through packages of clothing from Orvis - in one package a half zip sweat shirt - in another a pair of corduroy pants for winter, in another a pair of brown suede like pants again for winter and then is two separate see through packages a dressier pair of black silk slacks and a rust color silk shirt - well the silk slacks and silk shirt are gone.

Not as devastated as when my gold watch or the family photos (the photos I still hope to find tucked in a box I would never have guessed that I had packed myself for the move that the movers often emptied and things put in that they thought would be better shipped in the box - several more of those boxes to go through) anyhow, just stepping back yet again to process the loss of these never worn clothes and a family member calls - of course I dumped still feeling the sting and this is what blows my mind...

Evidently I should not feel bad and understand that if these things were taken it was because the person did not have as many pants and shirts as I did and thought I had too much and decided to take some and the person who took the watch it was the same... they could probably not afford that kind of watch and so because they couldn't afford a watch why should I with all the things they were moving that were more than they had therefore, they would take the watch without even thinking they were doing anything but balancing what they had compared to what they saw I had - no thought it took me 50 to 70 years to accumulate my things - that on my own I paid off the house and took care of myself and updated the house and purchased the nice things I dreamed of owning one day - but just because they were in their 20s, 30, or 40s working as packers and movers they should have equal to me and if not, I should understand why they took these things.

I don't even know what to say - I changed the subject - yes, we will, according to Jesus, always have the poor but does that mean the poor, if they are poor or more likely just wanting and taking what they see, like a child not realizing or not wanting to either wait or do the work it takes because it takes time, work and planning to acquire things - I heard all about how today anyone that looks like they have more must have gotten it by taking advantage of someone and so I should not be upset and just expect it.

I do not know what shocks me more - this information that says I should expect things to be taken from me or that I find missing things and assuming - yes, assuming since I do not know for sure and yes, I know some things always get lost during a major move but some of what is missing is too obvious that it was not misplaced - The shock that I should expect people to take from anyone who has more than they have has my head beyond spinning my head is going numb - can't process it - oh if I read this or it was an explanation I heard on some news show but this was from a family member said no differently than describing nice apples purchased at the grocery or getting tickets for a movie.   

Frybabe

« Reply #23868 on: March 30, 2024, 07:55:27 AM »
Oh, Barb! I know how you feel. I am still waiting to find most of my mineral collection, not the big pieces, but the small ones. The bone carving, the Petrovsky stone, dendrite, Swarovski crystal, the rainbow obsidian, and all of the mineral samples in their little protective containers still in hiding somewhere or just gone. I packed a small amount of jewelry that include charm bracelets and a jade ring bought back before Nixon opened up trade with China. It was a beautiful pale green, not the darker stuff. Well, there are a few odd boxes and a picnic basket that I have not unpacked. And, I had a habit of using clothing, towels and blankets as buffers in some of the boxes. They could be somewhere here, but it will still take a while until I completely go through everything.

Sue is having one of the guys bring over on Monday a book shelf she does not need. I am sure I can get it into my car, but she with paying to have him bring it over. It is a mission style folding bookshelf, but two of the four bookshelves will not cooperate. I suspect Jim must have fixed two of the bookshelves such that they cannot be folded.

Oscar is early for his "I demand attention" routine. This means that if I get up he will immediately usurp my chair. I put him on my lap and, after a hug or two, is spread out on my desk top eventually pushing stuff onto the floor. Good thing I don't have anything important for him to knock off the desk just now.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I have been watching a BBC TV production called The Musketeers running on Peacock+. The actors are familiar in their period costume, so I may have seen it before, if it ran on PBS years ago. Otherwise, I do not remember any of the episodes themselves. Episode 7 is on the agenda for today.

bellamarie

« Reply #23869 on: March 30, 2024, 12:33:48 PM »
Barb, reading your post of missing items that were treasures to you makes me incredibly sad.  I can tell it has nothing to do with the materialistic attachment, but the fact you worked hard to purchase these items for yourself and to think someone could just steal them from you while being paid to do the job of moving your things is unthinkable! 

Forgive me but I have to say I do NOT agree with this person's attitude toward stealing:   
The shock that I should expect people to take from anyone who has more than they have has my head beyond spinning my head is going numb - can't process it - oh if I read this or it was an explanation I heard on some news show but this was from a family member said no differently than describing nice apples purchased at the grocery or getting tickets for a movie. 

There is NO logical or even Christian explanation for someone stealing another person's belongings.  We do not and should not rationalize the crime by any way thinking because we have more than they do they are entitled to take what does not belong to them.  They violated your trust and stole your items... you have every right to be upset.  This is NOT a case of the poor needing your watch, silk clothing or any other items that belonged to you.  They most likely do this with other customers and sell the items for cash.  I'm getting upset just knowing it not only happened to you but also to Frybabe as well.

Years ago, I trusted my nephew to house sit for us and came home to find my grandmother's gold wedding band missing.  My mother entrusted that to me as a family heirloom, and my heart broke just knowing I had to tell my mother it was gone.  My neighbor weeks later told me the wedding band was stolen and used for drug money.  She knew this because her son was there with my nephew when he took it from my nightstand drawer and sold it to buy the drugs.  To this very day I never told my mother because I did not want to see the look on her face, and I never told my nephew's parents because I did not want a family feud. 

Barb and Frybabe, I pray some of your items will be found as you empty more boxes, and if not, I pray you will find some comfort in dealing with being so violated by strangers hired to do a job expecting honesty and integrity. 

Think about tomorrow is Easter!  A day that reaffirms forgiveness through the sacrifice of our Lord and know that is worth more gold or silver. 

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23870 on: March 30, 2024, 01:50:35 PM »
You too frybabe - and you are living probably 2000 miles from me and yet you also are having a difficult move - it all seems so unnerving because we assume we can trust those who help us move and also, just the process of moving keeps us on edge and then, being in a new location where we we cannot turn on a light switch without processing what we are doing because everything is new to us much less, have a comfortable greeting with neighbors, who we still no little about and then on top can't find our things with the hope we may still find them --- I guess I never thought of moving as being this much of a challenge because the last moves where when the children were young and I was too busy making sure they were comfortable, meeting friends and taking them in the car to explore so we knew where our home was centered. Also let's face it, our personal belongings back in our 20s and 30s even with children was minimum compared to a lifetime of accumulating the things we surrounded ourselves with.

Not only are you missing things frybabe but you are being made aware of changes to furniture that was unexpected - wow - so glad you have your sister nearby - that must be a comfort so that you do not feel alone - hope her living nearby also eases some of the 'fitting' in to your new neighborhood.

Bellamarie and you too - not because of a move but family who took - ouch - however, a relief to read your post and someone else sees there is something wrong with this logic of taking because... as you did not want to cause a riff in your family I feel the same and do not feel comfortable sharing the reaction expressed to me even with Paul and Sally - I will feel more cautious knowing there is a difference in values within the family.

I must say just sharing it regardless appropriate here in the library but I feel we have become friends and getting this confusion off my chest I realize I will never understand because I'm aware understanding is actually to accept the logic and frankly instead, the whole issue stiffened my backbone - I can live my life knowing that what I cannot do for myself is needing to be thought through but for sure plan on doing as much as possible for myself regardless it takes 5 times longer because of age and it behooves me not to seek help except from Paul and Sally and the few I know for sure I can trust - sad but then if I want to be independent then I need to realize I need to adapt and let go of some expectations -

Now I'm convinced this moral value is behind all the chaos we are seeing with so many believing they are owed and if they cannot easily acquire they turn to drugs as well as go on these stealing rampages in any store that shows their merchandise to the public. Catalogue shopping even for food drives up cost but provides security to the sellers - unfortunately it is the small businesses that cannot afford this catalogue delivery service. 

I cannot remember the name of the book and I cannot put my finger on a book as I did living all those years in Austin - Here, I am not yet familiar with exactly each book's location however, the premise was from the early history of man gifts were always the exotic - kings received special animals or difficult to find herbs or a large pile of gold that would be more than they could acquire on their own - the author goes through history showing for instance how Baby Jesus may not have received some exotic animal but did receive rare herbs and oils as well as gold - the gifts to most US Presidents were shown to be exotic handmade items often with precious jewels or minerals used and then, gradually introduced to the theory was how we try to surprise family members, especially children with gifts that will evoke excitement or a look of wonder that the gift giver, usually parents, either handmake or struggle to buy so that for awhile, mid 20th century Grandparents were able to gift more exciting presents or gifts that provided more wonderment so that some parents either expected as much or were put out because in their child's eye the gifts were greater than what parents could afford.

Maybe I'm trying to romanticize why someone would take what does not belong to them - as if what is taken is a wonderment in their eyes that they do not have a parent or grandparent who would provide these exotic 'things' - but then that sure does not explain these flash mobs cleaning out a drug store or grocery market or even a computer store - they already have their technical handheld devise - I'm thinking Bellamarie your experience is probably the key - things that will sell that the money will buy drugs - now the question which came first - the drug culture to hide yearning for more - or yearning for more that no one helps you to learn it takes time that leads to using drugs to have immediate relief and excitement.   

Frybabe

« Reply #23871 on: March 30, 2024, 06:27:42 PM »
Thanks Bellamarie. Most of my little mineral collection came from jaunts to gem shows with George. We also liked going on Steam Train trips, to the Corning Glass Museum several times, and down to Inner Harbor about once a year for a while. This was before it became derelict. I hear there are plans of some kind to rejuvenate the place. Good memories there.

I've been reading a book called The Spy Coast by Tess Garritsen. It is the first of her Martini Club series. It is pretty good, so I expect I will read more of the series. I think some of you may have mentioned her Rizzoli & Isles series. I vaguely remember there was a very popular TV series, but I don't think I saw much if any of it.

Frybabe

« Reply #23872 on: April 02, 2024, 03:54:09 PM »
I hope everyone had a Happy Easter.

I've finished The Spy Coast which I thought was a very good read. Small Maine coastal community where a few retired spies live. Old business crops up and they are back into the thick of things.

Now I've just started Daughter of Earth and fire: A Biography of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. by Noel Gerson. Meanwhile, I have also been pecking away at William Dalrymple's The Anarchy.... I don't know why I keep putting it down for other reads because it is interesting history to me. Well, I seem to be off SciFi reads for a while. Haven't listened to The Far Pavilions for a few days, must get back to that, but I have been watching the BBC series, The Musketeers.

Taxes are done - finally! Now it is time to get back to sorting, finding storage solutions, and gathering the paperwork I need for the house sale.

bellamarie

« Reply #23873 on: April 03, 2024, 03:54:44 PM »
Frybabe, thank you, I hope you had a blessed Easter as well.  We had an Easter Saturday celebration with my son's family.  So much joy watching our almost 2 yr. old great grandson Haze search for eggs.  Easter Sunday, we went to 9:00 a.m. Mass then spent the rest of the day at home. I did not have to cook since my daughter in law packed leftovers for us.  A different kind of Easter but we are learning to adapt and be flexible since our family is growing. 

As an Amazon Prime member, I can choose a free device book each month, so I have decided on, Cut and Thirst: A Short Story Kindle Edition by Margaret Atwood (Author) #1 Best Seller in Kindle Singles: Mystery, Thriller & Suspense

Three women scheme to avenge an old friend in a darkly witty short story about loyalty, ambition, and delicious retribution by Margaret Atwood, the #1 bestselling author of The Handmaid’s Tale.

Myrna, Leonie, and Chrissy meet every Thursday to sample fine cheeses, to reminisce about their former lives as professors, and lately, to muse about murder. Decades ago, a vicious cabal of male poets contrived—quite publicly and successfully—to undermine the writing career, confidence, and health of their dear friend Fern. Now, after Fern has taken a turn for the worse, her three old friends decide that it’s finally time to strike back—in secret, of course, since Fern is far too gentle to approve of a vendetta. All they need is a plan with suitably Shakespearean drama. But as sweet and satisfying as revenge can be, it’s not always so cut and dried.

It's a short story but sounds interesting.  We spent the day with Haze yesterday so I'm just taking it easy today.

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23874 on: April 04, 2024, 02:11:09 AM »
Also chose Cut and Thirst - almost chose Bootlegger's Daughter but decided enough with choosing what is convenient plus I have so many books started a full size novel would only fill up more kindle space and it would sit there for glory only knows how long before I got around to reading it... 

Been reviewing several books I read in the past - one thought led to another I realize many are addicted to the news and a way of interpreting the news so that their entire viewpoint on life has been controlled by their addiction - and so I scooted out and reviewed several of my mindful and al-anon books - one book was especially helpful - just what I needed - How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything and another You Become What You Think About -

As I'm reading it hit me - my sister and I had only been admitting to each other how we feel like we are living in a topsy turvy world with so much change we hardly know or recognize our own daily life living with all this what we see as chaos. That was when it hit me - been years since I've been to an al-anon meeting but those attending sometimes were the managers who had to work with an employee that had an addiction as well as sometimes an employee who was in recovery. Part of these manger's recovery was accepting their dreams for a smooth working department was not going to happen as they had imagined - that they lost time and sometimes profit as they fell short of the personal relations they anticipated between employees and between themselves and the addict (that it often took months or years to realize) their behavior was as a result of their addiction.

And so, Al-Anon helped all of us acknowledge the pain of loss and grief when we realized our hopes, dreams and expectations regardless how they would benefit others was not going to happen. And that is when it hit - as of now all this topsy turvy change will not stop or go away - and to learn how to live full lives knowing there is little anyone can actually do to change anyone who is addicted to a viewpoint any more than we can change any addict until, they want to change - and so with that realization I pulled out my copy of Opening Our Hearts Transforming our Losses -

Been down this path before and there is no promise that we only will have to travel the path once in our lives - as the saying goes "Change is the Law of Life" - just took me awhile to realize what is happening - Making this realization and dipping into these books I did a Kindle Purchase of rebuilt Faith that you used as a guide Bellamarie - because there was no solace this time for me in church attendance - the church changes alone had me feeling empty, sad and here of late trying not to be angry. I'm bound and determined to work through my reaction to all this mess - at least now I've identified most of the mess in terms I understand and can do something to plant myself with a plan of action to create some if not peace at least some understanding for myself.

And then of all things I'm reading a book simply called Butter - actually it fits - much of healing from a loss is to develop an interest other then 'have toos' and this young woman getting past a great loss turned to baking which lead her to butter - a delightful book - a cookbook of sorts but each recipe is using butter and what the butter does for the recipe is explained.

bellamarie

« Reply #23875 on: April 04, 2024, 02:32:16 PM »
Barb, over 30 years ago I attended an al-anon meeting with my younger sister because her husband had checked into an addiction treatment center near my home. She asked if I would go with her to a meeting and since I had a sister-in-law, I was dealing with who I was certain was addicted to alcohol causing me much strife in my life, I said yes.  ONE meeting and it changed my husband's entire family's life and mine because I took the advice of no longer allowing myself to be my sister-in-law's sounding board during her drunken episodes be it 6:00 a.m., noon, or 3:00 a.m. she would call or show up at my house with no regards of knowing I had three small children to care for.  I simply waited for the next phone call in the middle of the night and answered the phone and said, "I love you, but I will no longer have any conversations with you while you are drunk, you can call me when you are sober."  I sent her pamphlets I had taken from the al-anon meeting on how to ask yourself if you are an alcoholic, and other information.  As angry as she was with me for months to come, she actually went to an AA meeting, got sober, and then dealt with many pent-up family issues.  I shared this with the other sister-in-law who I was concerned with having a drinking problem as well and she and her husband quit drinking and saved all the money they were spending on expensive alcohol and started a nice nest egg for their retirement. 

I take NO credit for them deciding to make a life change other than providing the information, they had to accept the truth of their addiction and decide to do something to help themselves. I too had to be willing to say NO MORE!  I talked with my husband, and we decided he needed to be the one to tell his sister to leave and not come back unless she was sober.  She challenged him holding her brown bag full of beer with her slurred speech, and he did not back down.  He led her to our door, opened it and out she went.  That is the day I finally found peace and allowed myself to no longer be responsible or feel guilty for her well-being.  As I learned in that al-anon meeting and through reading scripture, my well-being is as important as any other person's.  It's like the flight attendant tells you before take-off, in the event of an emergency, mask yourself up first so you can help others.

I hope the book Rebuilt Faith will give you some peace and insight as it did me.  Today's world is a phenomenon to baby boomers.  We've lived through wars, poverty, etc., to know you need some sort of belief system beyond whatever makes you feel good do it. We can feel lost in a world of no boundaries, penalties, consequences or respect.  If I did not have my faith I would and could not have hope in the direction this world is going.  I have decided I will no longer have conversations with people who are closed off and not even willing to consider a different point of view.  I adapted the humorous attitude of "Not my circus, not my clowns."  lol and on certain days it's "NOT today, Satan, and tomorrow doesn't look good either."  Through much self-reflection, accountability for my part in things, forgiveness if not for them but for my own self and staying focused with as AA refers to "A higher power" and as Christians believe is "God", I no longer engage with those who are filled with hate.  I just don't have the time, energy, patience or tolerance, my peace of mind is essential for my health & happiness. 

As al-anon would say, you are on the road to recovery when you are able to acknowledge your problems/mess.  You my friend just did it in this paragraph:

And so, Al-Anon helped all of us acknowledge the pain of loss and grief when we realized our hopes, dreams and expectations regardless how they would benefit others was not going to happen. And that is when it hit - as of now all this topsy turvy change will not stop or go away - and to learn how to live full lives knowing there is little anyone can actually do to change anyone who is addicted to a viewpoint any more than we can change any addict until, they want to change - and so with that realization I pulled out my copy of Opening Our Hearts Transforming our Losses -

We are never too old to learn new things, we are never too old to open our minds to change, we are never too old to accept the world is in chaos today just as it was in the Old Testament and New Testament thousands and thousands of years ago.  WE decide if we want to be a part of positivity or negativity.  We can't always avoid the ugly, but we can decide how we react to it.  One thing that has brought me an abundance of peace these past few years is I leave my TV off the entire day.  I have found that is the most negative, fear mongering device that can drain a healthy mind, body and soul.  My hubby and I have certain shows we like to watch together at night and I dvr certain shows.  I go to my neighbor's house to chat, and she has two TVs on two different stations which are within 2 feet of each other and it's the news 24-7.  I actually begin feeling anxious and ask if she could mute them while I am there.

There is a new word I learned from my daily online Bible study group, it's "TYPOLOGY." 
 typology /tī-pŏl′ə-jē/ noun

1. The study or systematic classification of types that have characteristics or traits in common.
2. A theory or doctrine of types, as in scriptural studies.
3. A discourse or treatise on types.
4. The doctrine of types.
5. The systematic classification of the types of something according to their common characteristics.
6. The result of the classification of things according to their characteristics.
7. Linguistic typology.
8. Classification according to general type.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition • More at Wordnik 
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=meaning+of+typology&ia=web&iax=definition

This season we have been in the Book of Genesis, and it shows how Joseph son of Jacob, is a typology of Jesus who has not yet come into the world.  Why do I share this and find it interesting?  Well, if we can take a moment and really look at today's world and then compare it to the O.T and the N.T. it is a typology of what was then, now and ever shall be.  So, to think we are going to see something different in or of this world would be like expecting the end of our journey to be given to us now rather than when it is already planned to happen to us/for us in heaven.  When I experience the betrayal of family and friends, I think of how Joseph's brothers were okay with throwing him into a pit to die or sell him to a caravan, as the people were okay to cry out, "Crucify him!"  What are the comparisons today?  What were the end results then?  Joseph went from the pit to the palace and Jesus went from the grave to the kingdom.  Our focus is NOT others or what the majority goes along with... our focus is on our salvation.  Just as I nor anyone else could force my sister-in-law to stop drinking until she could admit she had a problem, just as the crowd could not be convinced Jesus did no wrong, and just as we today cannot force anyone to see the problems that are causing the chaos, we can only do our best to not be the brothers of Jesus, not be one of the crowd and not be part of the problem of today. 

I hope this helps in some way.  Sorry if it was long. 

Isn't it funny how you chose the same short story from Amazon as I did.  I also looked at Bootlegger's Daughter and decided against it for now.  Butter!  Why does this bring a smile to my face... something so simple. 

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23876 on: April 04, 2024, 07:08:43 PM »
Great Bellamarie - very supportive - nothing like turning our Senior Learn library into an old fashioned Tent Meeting but hay better than turning the library into another center of chaos  ;) - Just realizing the height, width and breadth and naming what is going on for me was huge - we all have our stories that lead us to a system of thinking that works that for me is called Al-anon and so at least I'm not at a loss as to how to take the journey towards a calm life and how to contend with change - the biggie how to express my love to those especially in my family who are wound up into the chaos so they cannot see beyond their wound up emotions - here of late just reminding them I do not talk politics is not enough - their addiction or obsession has become such that everything they experience and read or hear is political - the drama this presents in their lives - well that is for them I just cannot do it.

Plus, I have all the losses of 'things' missing as a result of movers that looks like I need to deal with rather than hear 'I should not be upset since those moving me probably have less therefore I should expect it.' My being righteous over all the hours and hard work and how many years of my life before I could acquire is only further flaming the fire - tried ignoring my feelings and trying to read a light hearted fun novel - all it did was make me tired, lethargic, moody and actually angry trying real hard not to feel anger... oh my - just recognizing all of this has me smiling because now I know what to do...

I love this and it was like an early morning sunrise to read... "When our lives feel disrupted and chaotic, the clear and simple principles of the Al-Anon program can ground us." From Opening Our Hearts, Transforming Our Losses And another, "grief is a natural part of life, not a punishment." and one more, “Progress Not Perfection”

This really grabbed me - love how she explains... from the book, Butter a 'confession' from the author "I did not grow up with butter. I do not have dreamy, creamy memories of local farm shop butter, or my mother stamping out buttery biscuits as I stood by her aproned hip. I did not have fresh, unsalted butter smeared on to warm, homemade bread as an after-school snack.

I am not nostalgic for butter. If anything, I am nostalgic for its imitator. I don’t remember butter ever being in the fridge when I was younger, and I know for sure that we didn’t own a butter dish. Instead, we ate ‘spread’ – tubs of butter mixed with oil to make it smooth and spreadable, and sometimes entirely dairy-free butter substitutes. My mother’s sandwiches were precise, and satisfying, and made with quiet love, but they were always spread with, well, spread. My father’s mother was a prolific baker, but as a member of the post-war generation, she baked exclusively with margarine. Even today, the smell of a tub of Stork marg being rubbed into flour takes me straight back to Grandma’s kitchen"

I did not grow up with margarine - butter was very difficult to buy during the war and margarine first came on the scene  - it was white almost like Crisco and a packet of red powder was included that we were expected to mash into the margarine to give it the yellow orange color - after the first time it was just too much work and so we ended up using it white. I do remember Mom trading stamps - I think it was our shoe stamps with my aunt so mom could have butter for the Christmas baking. Until a short time after the war butter was still sold as it had been since I was a child and probably before that - super markets only came to our area several years after the war and so even the A&P was a small Mom and Pop size grocery store - Butter was in a large wooden tub kept cold sitting on ice or later after the war, in a cold case and the grocer cut off a piece using a wire stretched between his two hands much as he would slice off a piece of cheese. - it was wrapped in butcher paper which was either white or brown and one side was waxed

I remember when the first super market came - there were no push carts and so shoppers used their kids little red wagons or baby carriages of even a wheelbarrow however it was the first we could take a can or jar off the shelf ourselves instead of the grocer or his helper filling our order and using a ladder on wheels scoot across the shelves most often located behind the counter and take the cans from shelves that were often up 10 or 12 feet from the floor. The super market also had cash registers that showed the  price and added it up quickly - where as the older grocery used the paper or if they had paper sacks used the outside of the sack to note all the prices and add them up for a total and we kids used to try to add them up faster than the grocer. All the cash register kept track of was the total entered which allowed the cash drawer to open. Teenage boys helped put the order together but were never trusted to add up the prices or take the money or make change where as in the super market there were young just graduated from High School employees who not only packed the order but entered the prices into the Cash register coming up with the totals. 

What I did not know about butter is that salt in butter preserved the butter when we did not have refrigerators. Nor did I know butter can be made in a food processor.

bellamarie

« Reply #23877 on: April 06, 2024, 12:37:44 PM »
I finished the 35 pages short story Cut and Thirst by Margaret Atwood, in just an hour or so last night.  The first few pages were a bit difficult to get into because it read like a Dick, Jane and Sally book from my young school days.  I can't begin to count how many times the author used "she said/says" in those pages.  Without being too critical I felt my teenage granddaughter could very well have written this little, short story.  It did get a little better in the middle pages as the elderly women are explaining their plot to murder nine men who they felt had wronged their best friend years ago because her book sold better than their friend's book.  Not to give the ending away, it did have some humor at the end as they realize they haven't given enough thought to the means of pulling off said murders.  I'm assuming it was meant to be a comedy and if so, at least I did laugh at their insanity, especially the brownies laced with marijuana and Ex lax. lol
Barb, anxious to hear your thoughts. 

I'm off to check out a Spring craft show today since the weather in Ohio is expected to be sunny and, in the 50,'s. 

Ciao~ Bellamarie

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23878 on: April 07, 2024, 07:21:35 AM »
Good grief and Margaret Atwood is a well known well written Author??!!?? First page was a horror trying to make any sense out of whatever was going on and the next 10 pages for me are no better - never read anything with so many disjointed thoughts, sentences describing I think one of the women has Cancer - they seem to go back to friendships made during collage years - still do not know what is the issue with killing whatever it is they are trying to kill or not - what Russia has to do with it glory only knows - cannot figure out anything that is happening and not sure I want to - enough - after a third of the short story and no clarity is it worth the torture of reading this I guess new story telling model that to me is dribble. Then on top the choice of words - sheesh - learned in grade school if your language is that low you are either too lazy to learn or not able to learn enough words to express yourself and so you reduce yourself to sounding like a dock hand shouting to others while unloading a ship. Thank Goodness I did not spend money purchasing this...whatever...how you got through it Bellamarie I cannot even guess...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #23879 on: April 08, 2024, 05:52:48 PM »
Well no eclipse partial or otherwise for us - instead we had one lallapalooza of a thunderstorm - sky as black as if there had been an eclipse - thunder and lightening to beat the band and drenching rain - went on for a couple of hours - thought for sure we would loose electricity so I shut down the computers. After looking at the rain for a bit decided to nap - only just stopped - the rain beat down for over 2 hours - sky light grey and still thunder

All the rain is great for the trees - I am delighted - the two that my landscape guy was sure would have to come down are leafing up a storm - I kept dousing the area this winter with Epsom Salts and Gypsum to help hold the water - I did learn those who use rocks or ground cover circling a tree area know what they are doing - I never knew but grass is a water sponge and takes water for a couple of feet deep denying the roots of a tree that water.

Grrr not happy with Amazon's kindle - I noticed it started last year - no notice which to me is the biggest issue however many of the new books no longer work on my older Computer - and so it is a song and dance to read them - need to go to the amazon website and read the book directly from their web site - grrr I wish they would at least alert what books you need to be running Word 10 or better in order to read on your computer - my old kindle is actually full and so I've been reading from my computer and it works well - so far I have not found a reading spot in this house and the chair I sit in at the computer I've made quite comfortable with a bedpillow inside a paisley sham - the chair is a Windsor so it has those wooden rails for a back which are not only comfortable but lets the air in which here is a must - otherwise I'd be in and out of the shower everytime I sit for any length of time at the computer.

Well I did it... so fed up with the rigamarole reading the books that require Word 10 I just returned the couple of books I purchased in the last two days - I chose one that could have been delivered tomorrow however, I will wait till Thursday and get 1.50 credit - books have become so expensive in just the last 3 months and this one is almost $22 - however, it is a novel that the story line sounds fascinating and could be a good analogy for today... Book is Clear by Carys Davies - takes place in the mid nineteenth century when Scotland was vacating the Islands north of Scotland - If I remember my history there were other locations as well but the book is about a minister who takes the job of evacuating the last inhabitants of this island that they do not want to leave. Seems as soon as he arrives he falls into a ravine and of course one of the very people he is to remove finds him and nurses him back to health but more - it seems they do not speak the same language - sounds to me like possibly these isolated locations may have been speaking either another language completely or a very old version of either the Celtic language or and old vernacular of the Scottish language - anyhow the book review is saying that communicating with each other is a part of the story.

Typically my book budget means making choices with more for the buck with a kindle or used book - this book is new and so no inexpensive used and even on the Kindle that I could not easily read the cost was $11.99 Seems like only yesterday and a new kindle novel was maybe 9.99 with most being 7.99 or less