Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 741653 times)

Frybabe

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #6160 on: February 26, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »
Currently listening to the audiobook version of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. I've had that book on my Paperwhite for quite some time but never got around to reading it. The Reader of this particular audiobook is Kenneth Branagh. Well! Branagh does a superlative job of the reading and I am so glad I had put off the book. But I don't think I would have had the patience to read it now without frequent pauses.  Conrad is quite a word smith isn't he?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #6161 on: February 26, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »
Conrad's word power is even more remarkable when you remember that English wasn't his native language.  Branagh would certainly be the right person to read that book.

What do you think of the book?  For some reason, though I see exactly what he's saying, and how, it doesn't affect me emotionally as strongly as it should, and that in spite of many vivid descriptions I can still picture in my mind, though it's been years since I read it.

Frybabe

« Reply #6162 on: February 26, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
Pat, I am only to the point where he has arrived at his destination and is just getting off the boat. I did like his opening description of his trip down the Thames. The number of hours that are listed for this book is a little over three hours. Is it really that short? I would have thought it would have been a longer novel.

Shan has discovered bugs (ladybug looking things inside) and birds (outside) and is very verbal about his sightings. Right now he is frustrated that the ladybug type with extra spots is at the top of the window where he can't get at it. Whine, Whine!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #6163 on: February 26, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Ah, it's a tough life being a cat. ;)

My paperback of Heart of Darkness is 72 pages (Dover thrift edition, $1).  Marlow appears in many of Conrad's books, sometimes as storyteller or observer, sometimes more active.  He's kind of Conrad himself.

Frybabe

« Reply #6164 on: February 26, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »
I'll have to check out Conrad's bio. This book has the feel of being semi-autobiographical. I am also going to look into reading some of his other works.

Now that I have finished listening to We Are Legion; We Are Bob I am checked into what I have in my Adventure Fiction TBR pile. Passing by The Magnetic North (a tale of Alaska, I think) by Elizabeth Robins, The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Ward Radcliffe, and The World's Desire by Andrew Lang, among others, I am a page or two into The Winds of the World by Talbot Mundy which is set in British India.

Frybabe

« Reply #6165 on: March 01, 2018, 11:15:21 AM »
I've downloaded two more of Talbot Mundy's books about the early 20th century Indian Regiments (primarily featuring the Sikh Regiments) just prior to and during WWI. While I didn't care for the Yasmini character, I did like the Kirby, Warrington (both Brits) and Ranjoon Singh characters. It was Mundy's intention in writing these historical novels to honor the Indian troops that participated in WWI and WWII. The Indian troops suffered losses of over 80,000 KIA in WWI and over 89,000 KIA in WWII. I believe I remember rightly that the numbers did not include non-fatal casualties. During WWI, at least, the Sikh fighters refused to use the steel helmets when they became available, preferring to keep wearing their turbans (which is some cases actually caught bullets before they did damage.

Also, I have started listening to News of the World, by Paulette Jules. It turns out that it is read by Grover Gardner, who read a SciFi book I recently finished. I think he is great. Looking him up, I see that he has won multiple awards and has read over 800 books so far. He is a lot younger than I thought.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6166 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »
I've been "missing" here, but I'm back...just don't get notifications anymore.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #6167 on: April 16, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »
I am now reading an engrossing novel called, The Art of Peeling an Orange by Victoria Avilan. It is set in the world of art and entertainment. There are an artist who was jilted, her psychotherapist sister who is lesbian, and her roomate who is a nurse as well as the roommates' boyfriend and the multitalent who stole the artists' love away. There is a death, suspicion of murder, and a lust for vengeance -- so far. I am just to Chapter 11.

Frybabe

« Reply #6168 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
Nota Bene: I wouldn't suggest The Art of Peeling an Orange if you don't care to read Lesbian eroticism which shows up later int the book. And here I thought we were heading for a kind of supernatural (Gothic?) mystery. I will be finishing it, though. The writing is good with an odd twist (hence my thoughts toward the supernatural).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #6169 on: April 17, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Frybabe - new analogy for the title   ::)
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

hats

« Reply #6170 on: May 25, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »
Just finished a piece of the world by Christina Baker Kline. Christina is the woman in the painting by Andy Wyeth. Christina, her parents,  and brother, Al, and the visitor Andy Wyeth lead a quiet but very observant life in Maine. Perhaps, it is going to become my favorite novel this year. There are so many important words and moments in the book. Here is a quote I would like to share. "I think about all the ways I've been perceived by others over the years: as a burden, a dutiful daughter, a girlfriend, a spiteful wretch, an invalid..."

Frybabe

« Reply #6171 on: June 09, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
Just started reading Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War by P. W. Singer. It is a near future thriller. Ghost Fleet refers to our mothballed ships.

Also, I have Dictator by Robert Harris on audio book to listen to. It is an historical novel about Cicero's final fifteen years in the eyes of Tiro, his secretary/slave. I had to take a look at Imperium, also by Robert Harris. I thought, at first, that they changed the name and reissued it, but it looks like it is covering different ground.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6172 on: June 09, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
 "Dictator" is part of the Robert Harris trilogy, beginning with "Imperium".  We just read Dictator for f2f book club, that met Thursday.  It is a fascinating, awesomely researched historical novel.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #6173 on: June 09, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
I would like to read about the "mothballed" ships. Have an interest in ships. However, I don't know much about them. Thanks for the title.

Frybabe

« Reply #6174 on: June 10, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
Thanks, Tome, I had no idea it was a trilogy. I went hunting for Lustrum and couldn't find it, but did discover that they retitled it in the US as Conspirata. My library has it so I am returning Dictator for the time being to read Conspirata first.

hats

« Reply #6175 on: July 07, 2018, 02:19:44 AM »
mabel1015j, thank you for reminding me of Jodi Picoult's title. I have been meaning to read "Small Great Things." As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind spending  all of summer or autumn with Jodi Picoult. I pick autumn because that's my favorite season.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6176 on: July 07, 2018, 11:27:22 AM »
Hats - glad you are enjoying Picoult 👍

Jean

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #6177 on: September 12, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
hi everyone I am back . I finely  got a computer set up that I can use sitting in my chair. my guru   just left and now I am going to be able to use it. nothing much going on here but this going to be fun 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #6178 on: September 12, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »
tra la - nothing like having back your link to the world Judy - come join us for our Fall read - the pre-discussion will open sometime late this evening and we start the discussion this coming Monday September 17 The Architect's Apprentice - fascinating time in history that many of us know little about so it will be quite an adventure into the sixteenth century Ottoman Empire. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #6179 on: September 12, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
thanks barb I will try. I am going to have to lean te internet again and also how to spell. lol

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #6180 on: September 12, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »
Judy, it's great to see you back.  Nobody really cares about the spelling.

Frybabe

« Reply #6181 on: September 13, 2018, 06:30:07 AM »
Judy, I am so happy to see you are back "in business" again.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #6182 on: September 13, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »
thanks so much I don't think it is for long  I believe it is too big and bulky for me

Does anyone know about Ginny is she alright? 

Frybabe

« Reply #6183 on: September 13, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
Judy, Ginny posted early this morning to my Latin class. It is the first day for classes. Other than that, she has probably been busy with the lower classes. With the hurricane's slight turn south, I am not sure how much she will get now.

hats

« Reply #6184 on: September 16, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Barb, thank you for the invitation.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6185 on: February 06, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
The Gilded Hour turned out to be very good thru its 700+ pages. It was about two women, cousins, who were physcians in NYC in the late 19th century. Sara Donati, the author, gives a real sense of the environment, both physical and social, at the time. It talks a lot about Italian immigrants and lends itself to thinking about the present day discussion about that issue.

It was one of the best books I’ve read in the last six months. I really enjoyed it.

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #6186 on: February 15, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
I remembered somebody mentioning Orphan Train some time ago, so when it became available as an ebook at my library, i got it. Very good story, very good writing. It tells the story about two orphaned girls in two different centuries who seem totally different when they meet in the 21st century, but find they have a lot in common, one as a 91 yr old and one as a 17 yr old. The author is Christina Blake Kline and I thought it was a good, easy, moving-along story. I’ll look for more of her books.

Jean

hats

« Reply #6187 on: February 15, 2019, 12:45:13 PM »
Christina Baker Cline is a wonderful author. The novel I love by her is Historical Fiction. The title is A Piece Of The World. It's a quiet, simple time. Yet, their lives are complex. If my memory has not failed me, it is about an Artist.

Anyway, there is something about Orphan themed novels. They stay in the mind and heart a little longer. I have an Orphan novel checked out from the library. I haven't opened it yet. It is Before We Were Yours by Lisa  Wingate. Long ago I did read Ciderhouse Rules by John Irving. I suppose that is called an Orphan novel.  I have also read Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons. I think Ellen Foster would count. I might make a little list of Orphan themed novels.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6188 on: February 15, 2019, 01:07:31 PM »
Hats - thanks for that recommendation, I’ll look for it.

Jean

hats

« Reply #6189 on: February 15, 2019, 01:10:01 PM »
You're welcome.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6190 on: February 15, 2019, 01:11:28 PM »
Oh great, my library has an ebook version of A Piece of the World!

hats

« Reply #6191 on: February 15, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »
Jean, I still remember your recommendation of Small Great Things by Jody Picoult. I really want to read that one. I will put it on my next library list.

Tomereader1

« Reply #6192 on: February 15, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »
YOu will love "Before We Were Yours', although a sad and ugly bit of history!

André Maurois

hats

« Reply #6193 on: February 17, 2019, 01:27:27 PM »
Tomereader1, I have it beside me. Glad you made the recommendation for Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.