Author Topic: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PREDISCUSSION  (Read 12028 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PREDISCUSSION
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:59:08 PM »

So Happy TOGETHER

by

Maryann McFadden

In So Happy TOGETHER  Maryann McFadden deftly weaves a story of three generations of women and the men who orbit around them.  With a sure touch, she writes about the mother-daughter bond, the simple pleasures in cooking, the pervasive nature of guilt, and the power of forgiveness.

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden." ---Anne Rivers Siddons

“So Happy Together is an honest book . . . that will resonate with many women who struggle to care for family members and themselves.”
—The News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina)

"So Happy Together" by Maryann McFadden.  Aug.15 to Sept 5.

Aug15 to Aug 20--Read and discuss- Prologue thru Chap 12
Aug 21 thru Aug 26--Read&discuss-Chap 13 thru Chap 25
Aug 27 thru Sept 1-- R&D--Chap 26 thru 38
Sept 2 thru 5--R&D--Chap 39 thru Epilogue  [/font]

Discussion Leader: Adoannie

JoanR

Re: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PROPOSED for August
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
Hi!!  My library has the large print edition so it's a 28-day book.  I'll pick it up tomorrow so that with 1 renewal I'll have it for the discussion.  That's not as selfish as it sounds since there is another copy at our branch and a whole lot in the system.  This is going to be quite a change from "Possession".

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PROPOSED for August 15
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »

"So Happy Together" by Maryann Mcfadden

Here comes our NYC author with a new book addressing today's problems of four generations.  She has even offered to join us for this discussion.

Welcome to all who might be interested in reading along with us.  Those who join us in NYC at our SeniorLearn Soiree will be meeting this author in NYC in the fall at a tea party.  

I am halfway through the story of an almost retired high school teacher who wants to change her life and is making plans to become a photographer.  As in National Geographic no less.  As she is packing to leave her home for 10 weeks taking a class in B&W photo making, her long lost daughter shows up and her parents decide to move into assisted living. Nothing goes as planned from there on.  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
I have it, and I'm not travelling during August (maybe a few days), so I'll be there.

ALF43

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »
Count me in too.  I just ordered her book (I wish I had known it was out in paperback.)  Oh well, we should have a great time.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

serenesheila

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
Please count me in!  I have ordered this book for my Kindle.  It sounds as if it will be an interesting read.

Sheila

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
I've got the hardback, it's a beautiful book. Certainly seems to be a subject a lot of us can relate to:  planning for the future, especially retirement,  and look what happens. I'm looking forward to it!  Looks like the perfect summer read.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:10:55 AM »
I'm in. I ordered the book and it might take a week 10 days to get here, but there is time.

mabel1015j

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
i'll be here...........jean

ALF43

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
My book arrived today.  I will start it this week.  We'll be traveling next week and I am fortunate to be able to read in the car.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »

We have a nice group for this discussion. See you on Aug 15!!!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 01:32:27 PM »
Sounds like a topic I may be interested in since my hubby and I are approaching our years of planning our retirement.  He will be 62 in November and wants to leave his 38 yr job with the Postal Sevice, and do a part time job for supplemental income.  I will be 58 in just a couple of weeks and am struggling with what my idea of retirement means for us.  Maybe this book can help me transition into this next phase of our lives a bit easier.  LOL  It sounds like fun regardless, because I always enjoy our discussions!  So...count me in!!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

CallieOK

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »

I'll be starting "So Happy Together" as soon as I finish the book I started yesterday.  :)

I'm "marking my place" so I can at least follow along with the discussion but I don't know how much I'll have to contribute.

ALF43

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
I liked this book and brought it north with me for my 14 yr. old grand daughter and my daughter to read.  I love that when we can all discuss a book BUT I can't leave it here as the discussion starts the 15th of Aug.  I am also happy about that as we won't be back home until about the 10th. :)

Finnabair

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
I'm brand new to the board.  Just ordered the book from Amazon. 

Someone let me know if it's better to read the whole thing ahead or do you all assign chapters?

Finn
Drink more goat milk!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »
Finnibair,  welcome.  We're glad you're going to be joining us.

Generally in our discussions, the discussion leader (in this case Adoannie) will set up the discussion schedule, a certain number of chapters or sections to be discussed each week.  Some people read according to the schedules, others might read the whole book before the discussion begins.  It depends on the individual.  But everyone is asked to not discuss things in the book that have not happedned in the schedule.

ALF43

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »
Finnabair- I personally like to read through the entire book before our discussions begin.  When the leader posts the schedule I adhere to that but I am impatient and am always anxious to see how the book ends. ;D

mrssherlock

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 06:15:32 PM »
A lovely book about a lovely place I'd love to visit.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

ALF43

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 08:08:59 PM »
Annie- When do we start this book?  what is the schedule?  Am I missing something here?

serenesheila

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »
Annie,  I am also wondering about the reading shedule.  I have read up to Chapter 17.  It doesn't work for me to read an entire bookl, because my memory won't retain it.  I will watch for your answer.

Sheila

bellamarie

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
Good morning everyone!  Welcome Finnabair, to answer your question, I  personally like to read only the assigned pages so I won't know ahead of time how the ending is.  Although, I must admit for the first time ever,  I have already begun the book and am almost half way through.  I couldn't put it down.  My bad!  I may wish I did not do this because I have found many who read ahead and finish a book have a tendency not to participate in the discussion as much for fear of giving parts away, so I just might stop at this point and not finish.  I guess its each person's personal choice which way they do it.  Can't wait to begin the discussion on the 15th!  Til then....ciao.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Finnabair

Re: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ August 15
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
I started the book when it arrived, but now it is set aside.  This is very difficult, as I'm upset with some of the characters!
Drink more goat milk!

ALF43

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Finnabir-  I know exactly what you mean.  I had to compose myself and breate deeply at first.  After a while, I considered them family and over looked a great deal that we have a tendencey to overlook in our own back yards.  Stick with it and allow them to redeem themselves, as they grow.

JoanR

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »
My feelings also.  I started the book, decided that I really didn't like these characters, so put it down!!  I'll go back to it when the discussion starts.
  Meanwhile, I'm having fun reading fairytales for another discussion - all those folks do is throw you into a barrel of serpents or cut off your head!!!!!!!!!! But everything turns out well in the end for the heroine.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 09:04:05 AM »
You don't have to like the characters to talk about the book.  There are some that irritate me too.

Finnibair, you're in southern Missouri -- in the SUMMER?  Why?  I must confess, I am too, but except for the 30 seconds to get from house to garage, I haven't been outside since mid-June.  And to think this was the summer I decided NOT to go to Seattle.  My highest electric bill ever.    :(   So are you SE or SW?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
"So Happy Together" by Maryann McFadden.  Aug.15 to Sept 5.

Aug15 to Aug 20--Read and discuss- Prologue thru Chap 12
Aug 21 thru Aug 26--Read&discuss-Chap 13 thru Chap 25
Aug 27 thru Sept 1-- R&D--Chap 26 thru 38
Sept 2 thru 5--R&D--Chap 39 thru Epilogue  

Do join us for this author attended  discussion.  The book fits in very well with Bruce Frankel's book, "What Should I Do With The Rest of My Life?" about choices made in later life, as it is the story of a soon to retire school teacher who plans a sabbatical so that she can take a class in photography.  She is hoping to be able to become a serious photographer, as in National Geographic type magazines.  Ahh, but life has other plans for her!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »
Ginny, Marcie?? Can you put the schedule in the post before this one, up in the header??? Thanks!

MaryannMcFadden

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
Hello Everyone!
I am so thrilled to be discussing my novel with you all! I will pop in as often as I can and hope to answer all of your questions, and fill you in on my unusual publishing journey.

ALF43

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 07:58:14 PM »
Welcome in Maryann.  I am so pleased that you will be here to guide us through this authentic family drama.  I loved your book and truly I did sit back and say, "is this my life here we're talking about?"  ::)
 So many things rings true in your story.  I also am looking forward to meeting you personally at our "tea" next month.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
Welcome, Maryann, we are delighted to have you here! I love the book and thank you Ann for the schedule.

Welcome, Finnabar!

I am so intrigued by people saying they are angry at the characters, that's always a good sign,  that made me pick it back up, my book is covered with notes and questions and I can't wait for tomorrow.

Thank you for arranging this, Ann, and for being with us, Maryann!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
Welcome, Maryann, I see you were able to leave us a message after your earlier problem with your email.  Looks like we are ready to leave this sign up location and graduate to our book discussion! 
This already promises to be most interesting with a few of our readers already not happy with the characters.  Can't wait for tomorrow!  Get a good night's sleep and we will see you all in the morning.

Finnabair

Re: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PREDISCUSSION
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
pedln-  I'm in southern Missouri for the summer because I have a summer home here.  Permanent address is on the coastal plain of Texas, between Houston and Corpus Christi.  *Normally*, it's cooler here in Missouri.  This year in an anomaly.

On the book- I've read the assigned first section, and I'm re-reading it now.  I must admit I looked ahead to the last pages of the book to see if things resolved themselves for the characters. 
Drink more goat milk!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: So Happy Together ~ Maryann McFadden ~ PREDISCUSSION
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
Hi Finnabair,
sounds like your summer home should have been in Alaska this year.  Everywhere I look on weather maps seems to be having the anomaly that you speak of, even my friends in California on the coast are complaining and thinking of installing AC.

Come join us in our new folder for discussing this story of a single mom who is wanting to change her path in life.

We will see you here:
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1590.0