Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Three Day Wonders  (Read 46247 times)

Persian

Re: Talking Heads ~ Three Day Wonders
« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2010, 02:58:55 PM »
Talking Heads #11

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online:
 bring your ideas and let's discuss

3 DAY WONDERS - topics and articles provided every three days by YOU, our readers.

10th Topic - Oct.28 ~ Objectionable Books in Our Schools?

Bad Books in Schools

The Good, The Bad and the Inapropriate   
~~~

We all monitored what  our children were reading at home; shouldn't we know what they're reading at school as well?

How can we recognize special interest groups promoting their own  agenda?  

ANNIE - speaking of younger folks contributing . . .  there was a brief news report on TV last night that a young boy celebrating his 5th birthday requested that NONE of his friends bring gifts to his party, but that "they contribute money (if they wish) to local programs to help others."  In that way, he and his friends raised $288.  The contributions were counted and the parents made sure that the money was donated to a charity.  In front of the camera, the birthday boy simply said "I just don't need anything more, but others do."  What a boy to be truly proud of!

Mahlia

CallieOK

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2010, 04:35:18 PM »
There are two women running for governor in Oklahoma.  Up until last week, the campaigning had been very friendly, both campaigns had a postive focus on what the speaker planned to do, etc.  However, during the past few days, things have begun to get tacky - bordering on nasty.
If one listens closely, one will realize that the critical comments are more or less "hints", not verified statements.
This is happening in several state races.
I will not listen to any more of this drivel!

Mahlia, our local news is full of the same kind of "awfulness".  One station's newscasters will begin with a breathless, "Now, listen to this..." or "You're not going to believe this..."
I sit there muttering to myself, "I don't have to if I don't want to" and" Then why bother telling me?".  >:(

Steph

« Reply #202 on: October 26, 2010, 06:35:18 AM »
Ah Yes, mudslinging works on a certain type of people. The ones who say ,, they printed it or said it, so it must be true.. They also buy those newspapers at checkout in the supermarket. You all know what I mean. Florida is a dirty dirty campaign.. All that money spent...for nothing but evil and anger.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2010, 08:15:47 AM »
 Of course the political races in Texas are of no interest to non-Texans, PEDLN, but they are an example of the sort of thing we're complaining about.  I have no idea who the 'witch in Delaware' is, but you have my sympathy.  May she lose!
  It would be lovely, ELLA, but unfortunately it seems to be a fact that too many voters do little serious research on the candidates. When they get into the voting booth, they seem to vote for the names they recognize...and guess why they recognize them? PERSIAN's sweet couple try to be informed, but the controversy just multiplies the confusion.
   I'm so glad you're enjoying the talks, MARYZ.  I'm all in favor of your suggestion. What do you say we each write our Congressional representatives asking for a law to limit the campaigning and advertising time.   Six weeks is certainly enough time.  Of course, those already in office have an advantage.  They can early stage photo ops on whatever
they're doing, and deny it's campaigning.
  I think horrific crimes can be found anywhere, MAHLIA. What the local news chooses to focus on depends pretty much on the mindset of the local publishers. Some choose the 'blood sells; sex sells more' policy. In Houston, the one remaining 'big' paper is mostly sports and the good life. The news is buried in a small section somewhere in the middle. I don't really understand why they call it a newspaper anymore.
  ELLA, FLAJEAN, et al , the local branches of some political organizations offer aids to voters, like pamphlets that list the candidates for each of the offices and factual  information about their backtround and political careers. Some ask pertinent questions of the candidates, and print the answers they receive.  Now those, I have found helpful.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
BABI, we have those kind of pamphlets in our libraries - Voters Guides, etc. for anyone to pick up and be informed.  And our local paper did print a Voters Guide but it just showed what was going to be on the ballot.

I do want our libraries to succeed in all their ventures but they are asking for a tremendous boost in revenue and it comes out of our real estate taxes.  I have always voted for a library bond but lately with everything going up in price and my money at a standstill I am wondering????????

salan

« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
All I can say is, "Thank goodness for my DVR!"  I DVR'd all programs that I regularly watch and simply start watching them 15 minutes late.  That way I can ff through all the commercials and the thousands of political ads.  It almost makes a person not want to vote!  However, my mother used to say that if you didn't vote, you couldn't complain; and I certainly want the right to complain!
Sally

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
AMEN, Sally!

serenesheila

« Reply #207 on: October 27, 2010, 03:46:34 AM »
SALLY, I am doing the same thing.  The woman who is running for Governor in California, is a millionaire, and she is pouring much of her wealth into commercials.  Sigh. 

We also have two women runniing for the Senate.  They became nasty several weeks ago.  I am sick and tired of all of them!  So, I am recording all of the programs that I want to watch, and ff through the commercials. 

From what I have read, and heard, politics has often been nasty.  But, the amount of nasty ads is overwhelming.  Every program has them.  I am really looking forward to November 3rd!

Sheila

Babi

« Reply #208 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:23 AM »
My daughter and I do a lot of that, also, SALLY. She really hates sitting through
commercials. I wonder if the advertisers realize how much consumer attention they lost
when we got 'record'?
  Meanwhile, why don't we make our arguments known?  I haven't heard from anybody here
who think these political ads are a good thing.  I think it most likely the majority...if not all... viewers feel the same way.   So...why don't we write our representatives asking for a law limiting
campaigning to the six weeks preceeding an election?   (I say write...I  prefer to e-mail.  My
handwriting, after all these years of swift typing, is pretty well illegible. )
   What other limitations do you think we could reasonably ask for? 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #209 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
OK this was a fun chit chat to read about political advertising -

Long ago I printed off these quotes and have them in one of these inexpensive stand alone plastic frames on top of my TV.

Advertisers are the interpreters of our dreams -- Joseph interpreting for Pharaoh. Like the movies, they infect the routine futility of our days with purposeful adventure. Their weapons are our weaknesses: fear, ambition, illness, pride, selfishness, desire, ignorance. And these weapons must be kept as bright as a sword.
E(lwyn) B(rooks) White

Advertisers cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.
Anonymous

Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless.
Sinclair Lewis

My attitude has become first, if the political advertising is getting to me than I ask myself what of these weakness buttons are they hitting (fear, ambition, illness, pride, selfishness, desire, ignorance)

And second, I would rather pat them on the head and let them think all that money from lobbyists that they are spending on TV - at least I can see a result - useless TV ads - stop that and no telling what new way they will attempt to buy my vote plus, if we request an alteration in communication then God knows what they will justify next that should be kept off national TV to pamper the sensibilities of a public who sees how worthless  representatives become once they move to D.C..
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Persian

« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
BABI - while thinking about which limitations to request, we might also think about requesting elected officials to better support learning opportunities for new votes.  For example, there are multiple thousands of new citizens across the USA every year and many are NOT well educated RE the voting process, how to become acquainted with the prospective candidates in their areas and what to look for in a person's professional background or specific interest which make them stand out among their fellow candidates - or those who are thinking of placing their names in the game of politics.

Many years ago, I taught citizenship classes to international folks in Montgomery County, Maryland.  Many of them had little or no knowledge about the government workings at the local, State and Federal levels, so as we discussed the  various elements involved in becoming a citizen, I broadened the info about those areas to include what it means to be an American.  The classes were held at a local Jewish community Center and many of the students were Jews from Iran and Russia.  Interspersed were regular comments RE the issues of governments in those countries, as well as the responsibility of the students to learn as much as possible RE American citizenship.  In the first couple of weeks, the students were hesitant to pose questions, but when I brought in a couple of local folks who were running for local offices the students became much more willing to pose their questions.  I recall one student asking me "we REALLY can pose questions to them without getting in trouble?"  You betcha, and the more questions the better!

So perhaps for a future discussion, you might consider how to REALLY get folks involved in local issues; what they need to know about their proposed representatives (and WHY), as well as what it means to be able to actually vote for the person you think will do the best job.  Just a thought, but in any election period there will be plenty of folks who are NOT fully informed about the potential candidates; those who are informed ONLY about their own favorite and take every opportunity to criticize others; and some who absolutely refuse to learn beyond their own front gate.

Mahlia

Steph

« Reply #211 on: October 28, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
The Brits regulate both the money spent and the time allowed on their elections. This would suit me fine. Just now in my state, we have at least one billionaire running for no reason other than he has tons of money to spend.. I really have strong emotions about just throwing money around for elections. There are too many places that need it much much more.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #212 on: October 28, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »

3 DAY WONDERS - topics and articles provided every three days by YOU, our readers.

10th Topic - Oct.28 ~ Objectionable Books in Our Schools?

Bad Books in Schools

The Good, The Bad and the Inapropriate   
~~~

We all monitored what  our children were reading at home; shouldn't we know what they're reading at school as well?

How can we recognize special interest groups promoting their own  agenda?  

Babi

« Reply #213 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »
  BARB, MAHLIA, STEPH.... well said. I was pleased to see the response this topic
received. Not a single poster had anything good to say about political advertising. I
would imagine that fairly represents the majority opinion in the country.

Here are two new links on our final topic.  Objectionable books in our schools...I'm
sure there probably are some.  But..a book that would be objectionable for one age group
would not necessarily be so for the older students.  And people with personal hobby
horses are going to have their own agendas for what books our students should, or should
not, be reading. I'm always leery of folks with a 'burn the books' attitude, but some
of the books in question seem 'questionable' even to me.
  So, what do you think?  My eyebrows go up when I see books like Toni Morrison's
"Beloved" and Richard Wright's "Black Boy" on the list. Again, what age group are we
talking about?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #214 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
Babi, I agree that all books are not appropriate for all ages, BUT, the only censor that I trust is ME. ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »
Articles like those above (and they appear to be repeats of each other, taking you to the same place) certainly raise my ire.  I don't have much time today, need to fix computer files and entertain a bridge group, but I will be back again and again.

As a former school librarian, all I can say is "Hurrah for Banned Book Week."  And I'm proud to say we had many of those listed books in our library.  Author Richard Peck -- the kids loved his books and I remember when he came and spoke to local librarian group here -- talking about 7th graders -- "Big women, little men."  He knew kids.

Libraries have PROCEDURES that people can follow if they object to a book, without inflicting their views on an entire school or community.  The Internet makes this problem a whole lot worse because of the ease of communication.  It used to be these special interest groups would mail a list of "bad books" to some other group 700 miles away, asking them to alert their community.  Half the time they hadn't read the books, or if they had the message escaped them.  Most of the time they scan them for dirty words.

Steph

« Reply #216 on: October 29, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
H mm.. I grew up with wonderful parents. Their theme was.. read what you want.. ask questions.. no book in their library was banned to me. I did the same with my sons.. I dislike the banning of books to put it mildly.. I live in an area that is full of the god driven type churches ( so called by them).. So we get a lot of parents who want to withdraw all sorts of books including Harry Potter of course.. Books are the windows of the universe.. Ban them and you take away some of the flavor of life. People are different.. So they use swear words.. or talk of things that you dont like.. t his is their right.. Evil.. evil is the preacher who uses his church to preach going to funerals of our troops who have died with horrible signs blaming them.. That is evil..

Babi

« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:54 AM »
 Drat, I lost my post!   
   Well, in sum, I am most concerned over the charge that some current textbooks are
introducing people such as terrorists, as heroes.  The specific book(s) are not, however,
identified.
  I am inclined to trust the judgment of a trained librarian over that of self-appointed judges.
However, I don't think the librarians choose the textbooks and that is where many complaints
arise.  What are the standards for selecting textbooks?
  I found this link: http://www.textbookreviews.org/index.html?content=tb_rvws.htm.
 It seems to be a well-researched and practical view of the subject, with answers to my
questions.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
The choices of many textbooks all across the US are determined by the choices made by the state-wide commission that picks the books for the Texas systems. They buy so many books, more than any other single entity, that the publishers print for whatever they order. This is a link to one of several articles written last spring about some of their choices.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37271857/ns/us_news-life/
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2010, 02:45:42 PM »
MaryZ,
That is another chilling story especially since these Texas school books are sold out of state to whomever wants to buy them.
No wonder more parents are considering Home Schooling.  Buuuut, they are also guided by their school districts and their state school boards about which books they can teach and test from.  So are we all controlled by our governments??? I would say so!

I have a good friend who writes and puts together science books for high school.  She says you wouldn't believe the constraints that are put upon these writers.  Lists and lists of NO NO are piled on their writing desks or they have them on the computer connected to a bookmarked page.

I read some of the lists from those links above in the header and found many books that I would have urged my children to read and will continue along with recommendations for my grans and ggrans!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »
Holy horrors.  The Gablers are dead and gone, but their influence and their organization is still going strong.  When you think about it, it's really scary to learn that this couple, Mel and Norma, with no experience in the education field, could sit at their kitchen table, analyze textbooks, critique them according to their own personal religious values, and the state of Texas buys their whole shebang.  Allows them to influence curriculum for nigh unto FIFTY years.  Now another member of their original mom and pop shop, a Mr. Frey, is carry on with their mission.

Perhaps in the coming years technology will save us and allow communities, schools, or even teachers to create their own instructional materials, or to update and revise basic texts to be used on e-readers.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »
I can't remember monitoring any book my child read, EVER!  And they were both readers, read everything.  Whatever they didn't learn by reading,  their friends informed them.  How can you possibly keep children from learning?   The good, the bad.

Schools are another subject.  I have no idea how best to choose books for schools, elementary, or advanced grades!  Whatever schools decide, or however they decide, there will be criticisms.

Steph

« Reply #222 on: October 30, 2010, 06:29:57 AM »
I refused to buy a bond that was issued by the Texas School Depository. Very high interest, but I truly believe that their mission is horrible. They are the biggest sellers of school books.. and I suspect that most school books are chosen by committe and not of the teachers.. I can remember looking at my sons and wondering who the heck believed this stuff.
The history books were very very slanted. As my younger son used to say.. he never liked history until college and then he fell in love with it..

Babi

« Reply #223 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »
MARYZ, I think you have definitely hit on a key to the problem with that link. Here we have the Texas Board of Education, a political group, chopping up and "reshaping draft standards that had been prepared over the last year and a half by expert groups of teachers and professors." It would seem to me that after experts have spent a year and a half preparing their recommendations for schoolbooks, a group of politicians should not be allowed to rip it apart to fit their particular political stances. That needs to change.!
  ELLA, while I tend to agree that young people should have considerable
freedom in choosing the books they want to read, I do think there are
instances where their immature judgment falls short.  If a 9-yr. old, say,
comes across Uncle Harry's stash of porno, I would definitely step in.
Have a few things to say to Harry,  as well!
  A hard subject to deal with.  The importance of intellectual freedom vs.
the possible poisoning of young minds.  Young people do tend to accept
what they read as true, and sometimes it isn't.  (Lord help us, there are still adults out there who think anything in a book must be true.)  Sure,
they are still going to be influenced by their friends, but there we can at least encourage them to think for themselves.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #224 on: October 30, 2010, 10:52:39 AM »
The school district here, if I remember correctly, does year-long curriculum studies of the major subjects (Lang. Arts, Math, Science, Soc. St.) every five years and the other subjects every seven, with teacher representatives from all grade levels.  The teachers choose the textbooks.

So there is some choice, but if all the textbooks have only the evaluation standards from ONE or TWO (California also) states, it is still a very limited choice.

Steph

« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2010, 06:15:54 AM »
I know that Florida has just changed their math standards ( again) and my grandson who was doing just fine with the old books is now bewildered and falling back. He simply does not grip the new way they are teaching it. I feel so sorry for him.. He is truly struggling and he did like math before this.

Babi

« Reply #226 on: October 31, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »
  A round of applause, please!  I closed out yesterday by sending e-mails on this subject to
the Texas Board of Education and both of the Texas senators.  (I also mentioned that the manymembers of this discussion group agreed that the politicians should stay our of textbook selection.)  I'm hoping the 'many' will gain their attention.
   This is the final day of October; the final day of the 3-Day Wonders discussion.  This is the
day to say whatever you like about whatever is on your mind and still unsaid.  I'll be back in
this evening to wrap up.  And meantime...HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #227 on: October 31, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
Eam laudēmus.  Well done, Babi.

(Actually, I'm visualizing that picture of clapping hands, and would put it here if I knew where to find it.)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #228 on: October 31, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
Thanks again, Babi, for a great discussion.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #229 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
Yes, Babi, you have done a wonderful job of keeping us on topic and offering so many interesting subjects from ideas of our posters, discussion leaders and readers.  Its really been fun.          http://www.amazing-animations.com/animations/hands9.gif
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Persian

« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2010, 09:26:01 PM »
Indeed this has been an interesting collection of viewpoints on several important topics.  I've enjoyed the opportunity to read/learn, as well as participate.

As the Head Honcho changes hats at the stroke of midnight, what's next?

Best wishes to all! ;)

Mahlia

Babi

« Reply #231 on: November 01, 2010, 12:21:49 AM »
How gratifying, PEDLN.  My first Latin compliment!  My thanks to all of you for your splendid
contributions to discussions.  You who participate are the ones who make any topic successful.
  I'm not sure what will be next for Talking Heads, whether someone will introduce a new topic, or if they'll let it rest for the holidays.  Meanwhile, I know we can expect something fun for the season. Watch for it!

Steph

« Reply #232 on: November 01, 2010, 06:11:43 AM »
Thank you Babi. This has been great fun. I agree that the every three days makes for a quick round of thought..

Babi

« Reply #233 on: November 01, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
 Thank you, STEPH.  Fun, and definitely food for thought, too.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2010, 09:13:01 AM »
HERE IT IS, NOVEMBER lst, AND I HAVEN'T YET THANKED BABI FOR BEING SUCH A GRAND HH!!!

THANK YOU, IT'S BEEN SUCH FUN.   

WE SHOULD DO IT NOW AND THEN.

WHEN THIS ELECTION IS OVER - IT WILL BE OVER TOMORROW WON'T IT?

I AM JUST _______TIRED OF IT!!!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
Babi you even got me to make a contribution - testament to  your choice of subject and skill as a discussion leader - thanks  :-*

Ella this time it felt like they were bringing their teen age daily squabbles from D.C. into our living rooms to engage us in their exaggerations and 'he said, she said, they said' verbal battles - too bad the Constitution did not designate a Mom to step in and stop all this nonsense... Ah so - at least starting tomorrow we send them to their rooms...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
Thanks Babi, great job, great topics!!!

Hey! Barb, have missed you, we must be on different sites these days.......Jean

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2010, 07:15:19 PM »
Time to close this sesson of Talking Heads.  Thanks for your comments!  Stay tuned while we make the next selection.