Author Topic: The Library  (Read 196965 times)

ClassicsAdmin

• TopicManager
The Library
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: The Library
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »
Isn't this grand!  A cosy place to call our very own - where you might drop in whenever you please and meet folks from all over the world and recognize familiar voices too.

It's such a busy time of year with not much time to sit down quietly with a good book.  I've several on my wish list I hope to  read in the coming year, among them,  the international bestseller, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery.   Have you heard anything about it? What's  on your list?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you.  I've missed you and this gathering place.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
Welcome,  Readers, and Book Lovers, you've come to the right place!

Let's talk all things books here.

I've just finished Nelson DeMille's new one The Gate House, and to read it, since it's a sequel I also read again his Gold Coast , which remains fabulous. Not so the Gate House,  he spends too much time rehashing The Gold Coast. So if you're going to read the Gate House you really don't need to read the Gold Coast which is just a fabulous book, but the Gate House does not live up to its promise.

I've got the new PD James and so far it's excellent, just wonderful.

Welcome home, it's so good to have our  Books back!

PS: One super thing about this site is that when you post a note, as you're writing you can see ALL the posts which went before!!!!

LOVE it!

What's in YOUR wallet....er.. on your bedside table?

Welcome!

Babi

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
Oh, goody!  It's so wonderful to be back in touch with at least some of the SN  gang.  I like your 'library' idea, Ginny.  I'm mostly doing light reading just now. Too much else on my mind to get very serious.

Hurrayay for you precious people for coming to our rescue!

Babi
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
Oh, goody, goody!! It's great to "see" my friends again!!!

I've mostly been reading mystery stories, and feel my brain is turning to mush. I need you guys to keep me on my toes (figuratively, not literally).

Would the book you mentioned make a good discussion, Ginny?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
Joan and Ginny, this is fantastic, and such great news after receiving this week’s disheartening letter from SN.org headquarters.

Like Babi, I like the ‘Library’ too.  Joan, just last week I asked my library if they would order Elegance of the Hedgehog.  From the reviews I’ve seen, it just sounds very appealing, and I think it made either the NYT or WashPost list of 10 Best Books.  Anyway, I look forward to reading it.

A few weeks ago I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schafer and her niece.  It’s a wonderful book, about the island of Guernsey and how its people coped with the German occupation during WWII.  Highly recommended.  (I don’t remember the niece’s name, but from what I understand, she finished the book when Schafer became ill.)

I’ve been a bit under the weather this week, and have been falling asleep every time I try to read, but am finally recouping.  So now I can join Ann at the  Thousand Splendid Suns discussion.  Along with that one, I’ve also been reading Whiskey Island – can’t remember the author.  The local f2f group was going to read it, and then that fell through.  I thought it was going to be about one of the islands off the outer banks or Georgia, but it turns out it’s set in Cleaveland, Ohio.  It’s interesting -- lot’s of Cleaveland history, relationships, family, abandonment.

Babi and JoanK -- so good to see you again.

Ginny, Joan, Jane, and Pat – thank you so much for putting this in place.

fairanna

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
This has been a busy year but some of my health problems have been resolved for which I am exceedingly thankful  I have a stack of books   ,new that is but have only read  a few chapters in three books ....and if asked I could not tell you what I read ,....too many things going on....my four children produced 8 grandchildren at various ages with various activities which Nana likes to watch ...my children were active in sports and it seems thier children are as well the youngest who was just 4 in OCT skis   I led I thought an active childhood but decided it was really sedentary compared to my own families          I AM READY TO DISCUSS A GOOD BOOK I MISS THAT ...AND IT IS SO GOOD TO KNOW AS WINTER STRETCHES AHEAD THAT MAY WELL BE A POSSIBILTY ... :) :) :) :) =the way I feel  FAIRANNA

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
It's great to see people posting here and appreciative of the effort Ginny has put into getting this site up and running for the Latin students ...and now the addition of JoanP and the Books!

jane

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:59:22 PM »
OH, THIS IS JUST WONDERFUL!  THE BOOKS, AND FAMILIAR NAMES, AND POSTS, AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF BOOKS.   THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, JOAN AND GIINNY!

YOU HAVE COME TO THE RESCUE OF ALL OF US WHO HAVE MISSED OUR DISCUSSIONS.  I AM SO DELIGHTED TO READ YOUR POSTS!  I CAN'T BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW I HAVE MISSED THEM.

I am slowly making my way through TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN by Curtis Roosevelt, FDR's grandson, it's very good, but I do like memoirs.  He must be about our age but remembers such details of his life with his grandparents.  At this point in the book, he is hinting that all that power and prestige has ruined his life and he is just now beginning to understand that.

I've been reading lightly also, mysteries, fiction.  I did see a DVD that I recommend highly; the title is IRON-JAWED ANGELS and it is the true story of Alice Paul, one of the early suffragettes.  I must read more about her somewhere.  They imprisoned these women and forced fed them as they had gone on a hunger strike.  Very graphic in the movie.

So, thanks so much again and JANE AND PAT - many thanks to you too, also.

I've been in the hospital, an awful place to be and I hope I can forever stay out of it!

Cheers to you all!  I raise my glass in joy!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
I've been reading mostly science fiction lately.  I'll talk more later.

Goodness, Ella, I hope your ordeal is over.  Hospitals are no place for sick people.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:44:17 PM »
 OH I am SO happy to see all of you again!! Isn't it funny how many of us are reading mysteries? I heard an old song, was it There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays and they talk about "telling ghost stories," which is interesting in connection with the season. Of course the Romans loved ghost stories, it's strange how things seem to juxtapose like they do.

At any rate WELCOME, ALL!

Ella, I am so glad to hear you're out of the hospital!!!!!!!! Worried us there, you did!  I've heard about that book but have not read it, I'm still plowing thru Indian Summer about Nehru and the Mountbattens, very topical still today, unfortunately.

Do you all SEE the string of previous posts under your compose a post box? Isn't that fabulous? No more conversations where you have to take notes or wear out your clip utility, all the thoughts are there!

Like a real conversation, resonating still in the room, love it!

Anna I am so glad your health issues are much improved! Hurrah! I keep my 2 year old grand bab (who was sick today) so I know busy. I have to laugh, I agree with you that we thought WE were active (but didn't I walk 8 miles thru the snow to school?) hahaha

JoanK, I agree, I am looking forward to some scintillating conversation, and since our Books discussions here are SO easy to find I predict tons of new  members to talk to, too! Which book, the PD James?  I've really just started it, but I have to say I'm impressed with her, I know everybody has known about her for ages, but I'm a slow study, sometimes.

The Gate House, no no....no. It's all you can do to read it. And I LOVED the Gold Coast.

Pedln, I've heard nothing but raves about the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, do you think that would be a good one to discuss? I'm glad you and Babi like the name. I think the heading Pat did is the prettiest thing I ever saw.

Babi and Everybody, we're so glad you approve!!!   This time of year all I read are mysteries, am looking at the MC Beaton new one right now in front of me, A Spoonful of Poison. But Barbaraians at the  Gate was on the sale table with a new update of all the characters and I could not resist, it will be my third time reading it, have you all seen the movie with James Garner?

THAT book  is a keeper you can read it over and over and how topical now!

I also hear Anne Perry's new Christmas book is readable in one sitting and very good, but I've never read her.

Don't forget Carol Goodman in June, her book, the Night Villa,  is a mystery/ history with a classics professor as protagonist exploring an ancient villa, with lots and lots of new info stuck in..it's very Indiana Jones type of thing, I loved it and you can learn a lot from it (I sure did) and  SHE is just wonderful and is excited about participating in the discussion. June's the month!

Seeing you all is a nice holiday gift!  Happy Happy!

What are you reading??

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
PatH! Welcome!! Recommend something  to those of us who normally don't read Sci  Fi, I mean I LOVED R.U.R,  let's have a year of living dangerously and reading something new!

Did you all see that Revolutionary Road is now a movie? Love Richard Yates.

It is GOOD to talk Books again!

Welcome, All!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »
Thanks Joan P for directing me to this area. It feels like home with all those familiar faces. While I was reading Suite Française by Irène Némirovski I was thinking about you Ginny when you mentioned that book. I devoured it.

At this time of the year, there is not much room for reading I am afraid as I'm getting ready for family get togethers and visits from out of town.

fairanna

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
I can see I will stop by here often  WOW if I could jump up and down and not shake the floor LOL I would ....I feel we have gathered as we did at Isle of Palms and it so good to SEE everyone and smile and give a hug......I know how much talking and sharing means  as we all do and this is the best possible Christmas gift ever thanks so much ladies and to me to be here with everyone is HEAVEN on earth ...hugs   anna

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:08 PM »
From piller to post - intrepidly we find each other  ;) - I am on my annual Christmas visit to my daughter and family - I will look forward to books again when I return home - so glad we are no longer in limbo.

Is this site and Pat's site going to blend or how is that going to work?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:11 AM »

Oh wow!  You all made it in!  Wow! Wow!  and Wow!  It's as if we've never been away.  I gather no one stopped reading in the meantime!  What a group!

Ginny, it is so good to hear that PD James still has it...she must be near 90 now.  Does anyone know what the P.D stands for?

Babi and JoanK - oh yes, it is good to be back.  I've thought of you two often, wondering what you've been reading. And PatH, Joan's twin - reading science fiction.  (Not surprised.)  Welcome to the Library!

Pedln - I am really looking forward to Elegance of the Hedgehog centering around  Renée Michel, "the dumpy, nondescript, 54-year-old concierge of a small and exclusive Paris apartment."   
Eloise, good, you found us!  Muriel Barbery wrote Hedgehog in French, you might enjoy that - (what is the French word for "hedgehog"? The English translation is a 300+ page paperback ...and I'm sure it is going to be a best seller here in the US as it has been in Europe.  Am thinking of nominating it for the Feb. discussion. I'll look for Michael Dirda's review I read recently.

If you wish to nominate a title, we'll take that information in the Book Club Online discussion - please let us hear from you.

Fairanna, back with us and feeling fit and ready to go!  Terrific!  It is a busy time of year - especially with the growing families.  I think we'll be ready for a good discussion in February,   And Ella's here too - great! -  All better, now? 
One of the  things I like about these discussions,  is the diversity in our reading habits.  So many titles are discussed that would never have occurred to me, Ella. 
- Ginny says - "let's have a year of living dangerously and reading something new!" What do all you think?

Such an odd title, it got my attention!   Can we hear more about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?  And what about Suite Francaise?  Would it make a good discussion, Eloise?  Could you tell us more about it?

Barbara, good  you found us!  We'll look for you after your visit.  No plans in the works to blend with any other site right now.  We're just concentrating on Books and Latin here.  Maybe someday someone will figure that out.

We have a lot to thank Pat and Jane for, don't we?  We wouldn't be here without them.  I love Pat's "Library" graphic too, Ginny.  She's working on something to add to it - you'll like
, I'm sure!

Off to the ...mall again!  I thought I'd be finished shopping, but so many interuptions.  The last minute shoppers are getting fierce these days too!  It is such a relief to come in here to unwind with all of you.]

One of my favorite critics,  Michael Dirda on Elegance of the Hedgehog -  I hope you can view it -

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
This is just grand.  A Christmas present for all who love books and discussing books; as JoanP said the diversity of our reading habits is a treat to behold.  We need to read new books now and then and I have alreadys written down two titles that interested me from your suggestions.

THE GUERNSEY LIBRARY sounds very good and, Ginny, is the title of the book about Nehru THE BARBARIANS AT THE GATE?  That sounds good and, as you said, very topical.  I think we mentioned Mountbatten when we read Ghandi's autobiography, didn't we?  Anyway, let me know.

I've bookmarked this site and will be back Monday after a weekend in Amish country.  My daughter is afraid of me now as she was the one who called the ambulance for me and stayed with me all night in the hospital.

NO PLACE FOR SICK PEOPLE OR WELL ONES EITHER!

Many thanks again to Ginny, JoanP, Jane and Pat!  You all deserve our gratitude!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
Némirovski's novel Suite Française is somewhat described here:

http://7decade.blogspot.com/2006/11/suite-franaise-by-irne-nmirovski.html

WW2 itself has been written about so much that it's not new anymore but the way she relates to events and she describes situations and characters is simply exquisite. She wrote a biography of Anton Chekov which tells a bit about her writing skills. I feel it might become of of the great novels of this time.

More about her here:
http://practicing-writing.blogspot.com/2007/05/from-my-bookshelf-suite-franaise.html

A Hedgehog is an Hérisson. We sometimes say that about people difficult to approach, sort of prickly. I have never seen one in my life, city born and bred I am. 

Deems

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

Hi Everybody!  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka, and any other Festiveses you celebrate.  I for one celebrate the Winter Solstice (this Sunday) every year because at that point every day get a little teeny bit longer instead of shorter.  I think of it as going toward the light. 

I read the president of Harvard's wonderful book on the problem of dealing with the dead in the Civil Wat, This Republic of Suffering, recently.  It is on the NYTimes best books of the year list now.  It's wonderfully written and illustrated.  Why can't I remember her name?  Freud?  I'll risk opening another window and look it up.

Her name is Drew Gilpin Faust.  I was close.  At least the last name begins with F.

Hi to all my old friends.  It is good to be back together.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

It is wonderful to be here.

Eloise,  I loved Suite Français.  It is so very good.

I want to read The Elegance of  The Hedgehog

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Babi

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
Bless you all, it's such a delight to read your posts.

Okay, what is "Elegance of the Hedgehog" about, other than a 'dumpy' Paris concierge?   I love the title.  Same with the 'Potato Peel Pie'; only in wartime, right.  Actually, my grandmother could make a mock apple pie, using Ritz crackers, that actually did taste exactly like apple.

And is "Barbarian at the Gates" an old movie, Ginny?  I love James Garner, but I can't really visualize him in a movie about Nehru. Or Ganhi either, for that matter. Tell me more about that, please.

Ah, I can feel my brain coming awake again!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »
Ah, I can feel my brain coming awake again!

Me too, and it's lovely to see all of you, and since all i have to do is scroll down here below this compose post box, I can go back and see what you've said as I type!

Welcome, Eloise,  Deems, Joan G and Babi!

I love that feature.

Ella, and Babi,  no the Mountbatten bio is called Indian Summer. It's new. Barbarians at the Gate is old but the James Garner movie is as good as it ever was. It's  about the RJR Nabisco take over by KKR, (someething like Kravitz, Kohlberg and Roberts)... leveraged buyouts? I have no idea.

Interesting that Henry Kravitz (KKR), who makes something like $51, 369  an HOUR, but pays less taxes than somebody making $30,000 a year,  is the subject of a new indie movie from warongreed.org,  comparing his lifestyle with that of average Americans. It's on [html] You Tube.

I think the combination of the book, and the old movie and this thing  would make a powerful discussion sometime, from the responses of the people viewing it:  why penalize somebody who embodies capitalism? OR...how dare he live in 5 (or 6) palatial houses with 26 rooms and pay less taxes than I do?

Interesting!

It really WOULD make a fascinating discussion someday, it's old but it's really germane to the current subject of the economy.

I've put  Olive Kitteriege, by Elizabeth Stout in the Book Club Online for consideration, it's on People Magazine's best books of 2008 along with Edward Sawtelle and the Guernsey book.

She's gruff, impatient and unwilling to suffer fools, but the aging Maine schoolteacher at the center of these keenly observed stories will ultimately win your heart.

White Tiger is also on People's 10 Best list, kind of a Slumdog sort of thing, or so I understand:
A riveting rags to riches novel about a penniless driver's ruthless rise to power in modern India.

Have any of you read it? Or seen,  is it,  Slumdog Millionaire?

Looks like there are a LOT of good books suddenly out there that people are reading and want to discuss!

Eloise!!  Suite Française!!! Yes.  And you know that  would be a smasher! We could even try out (don't groan now I well remember your superhuman patience in our last French book effort  Les Peregrines, but you know what? I absolutely loved it, every bit of it and I REMEMBER it, that was one of our best, unheralded but best discussions.) 

Pedln, another smashing sounding book: forward to Elegance of the Hedgehog  centering around  Renée Michel, "the dumpy, nondescript, 54-year-old concierge of a small and exclusive Paris apartment."

I'm feeling dumpy lately, sounds like something out of Extras with Ricky Gervais whom I also like, on the list!

Oh boy, start the fire in the fireplace,  and let's talk all things books!!!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:21:40 AM »
Has anyone here read the The Boy in Striped Pajamas ? My Face to Face Book Club is going to read it in Jan.

I do know that there is a movie of it but I haven't seen it.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:18 PM »
This is so wonderful -- finding that so many of these movies coming out came out first in book form.  Fantastic.   Revolutionary Road, The Boy in Striped Pajamas, Slumdog Millionaire -- they're all on my Netflix queue, but I didn't know they were books.  Hallelujuh!!

That KKR, Ginny, they also took over/bought out Dollar General, which was a public company and is now private.  So the book updated the characters.  Interesting.

Olive Kitteridge sounds like a winner.  It would be interesting to see People's List of 10 Best.

Bookmarks came today and I'm waiting to settle in to read about what they say are 10 books to start off the new year.

And now we know where Inspector Adam Dagliesh came from.  Thanks for that tidbit, JoanG

Gumtree

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:39 AM »
Hello - isn't it great to be BACK...such a wonderful Christmas present for us...Thanks to all who made it possible

I guess we've all had withdrawl symptoms. I felt as though part of my family we're missing - the worst part was not knowing what was happening or how long we would be cut-off from the book-talk.

It's so good to see the posts that I'm just skimming quickly - wanting to read the next post before I've read the last one -

Deems - Winter Solstice?   it's the Summer one here!

My reading is focussed on study groups and F2F coming up in the New Year. One is a series on books written during or set in the first half of 20 Century - very British authors - Forster, Sackville-West, Bennett, Hartley etc.  It's interesting re-visiting some of the titles -one of which is Waugh's Brideshead Revisited which we discussed on SN earlier this year.

JoanP -  so good to see you again - I'm going to include extracts from Don Quixote in a Summer School programme I'm organising for January.  I couldn't do it justice during your discussion(time constraints) but am deep into it again. - I'm using the Grossman translation. Wish me luck!

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 10:57:33 AM »
I would like to nominate Love in the Time of the Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Since about a month I have watched that movie a few times it is so good. I have not read the book yet, but I will.

This author is a Nobel Prize winner. We discussed his "One Hundred Years of Solitude" on the old site as Joan P mentions.

Hi! Gumtree, long time no see, it's good to see you again, what have you been up to?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »
What a list!  I have THIS REPUBLIC OF SUFFERING, WHITE TIGER, LOVE IN THE TIME OF THE CHOLERA, THE GUERNSEY LIBRAY, INDIAN SUMMER, on paper to take to the Library, but I already have four to read from a previous visit.

Thank you all for your suggestions! 

I am reading AMERICAN LIGHTNING, a history of labor against capitalism beginning in the 1900's, by Howard Blum.  Not the best, but tidbits such as the birth of Hollywood, and the early pioneers - D.W.Griffith, Harry Warner, others - is interesting.  None of them had any idea what they were starting when they played around with a movie camera.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »

Well, the drs have told Ralph that he is not a candidate for the stem cell procedure but they did offer him two other options---a heart pump or an aortic pump.  He does not want anything that is going to mean carrying around a battery so we will see what the surgeon has to tell him in January when he goes to talk to him about the aortic pump.
Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts.  We did feel like we were being hugged!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
Gumtree, welcome.  Isn't it great to see old friends here.  Like having a family reunion.

Ella, my F2F Mystery group, which reads ALL things, including non-fiction and non-myteries, read Timothy Egan's The Worse Hard Time a few months ago.  (I think he writes for the NY Times.)  The book is about the settling of the Great Plains in Kansas, Texas,  Oklahoma up through the 1920's and then on into the Dust Bowls during the Great Depression of the 1930's.   Our group found a lot of parallels between the economic situation then and the one now.  I think you would like it.

Persian

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
This is such a terrific treat to be able to come to The Library without jumping in the car, manuvering through holiday traffic, searching for a parking space and then standing in line.
Thanks to some of the best folks in the world for creating, launching and maintaining this wonderful site, open to dear friends and new ones yet to meet.

As I've posted in another site, I'm getting ready to participate in a discussion of Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea at our local library.  My responsibility is to discuss Afghan culture, drawing on my own experiences and those of my son when he was deployed a few years ago.

It's such a pleasure to be among friends again in such a cozy atmosphere discussing one of my favorite topics:  BOOKS!

Happy Holidays to all,
Mahlia

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in from the cold and join us.  

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
How great to have book discussions again!  A truly great Christmas present.  Thanks.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CubFan

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
Greetings and Happy Holidays
    I feel that the sun is shining (actually it is grey and snowing and blowing outside) knowing that I can once again check in daily to see who is reading what.   It's been a long time.  Thank you for getting us up and running again.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the The Guernsey LIterary...  
    Those who enjoy Civil War books might find They Fought Like Demons interesting.  It is written by archivists at the National Archives about women who fought in the Civil War.  Not as well done as I would have liked by was still very interesting.  
     Right now I'm rushing through On the Hunt: The History of Deer Hunting in Wisconsin.  Bought it for a Christmas present and after meeting the author and hearing his presentation on Thursday I became fascinated with the history.  I may not need to be finished by this Thursday as it looks like the nearly daily snow will postpone our Christmas Eve/Day plans.
     Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been reading the last two months.    Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 05:38:41 PM »
Mary, MaryZ - wonderful that you made it here!  I'm laughing at Mary reading the Christmas book she got for someone else.  One of my sons does this all the time.  Reads a book, likes it and then wraps it up as a present to another family member!

Books make great presents, don't they?
Welcome everyone!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
Whoops, I started here before, then one of the kids blew a fuse.

Mahlia and MaryZ and CubFan, welcome.  So good you found your way here.  The History of Deer Hunting in Wisconsin -- that's about as specific a title as I can imagine.  CubFan, one of my uncles would have just loved that.  We lived in Racine, and every year  he went deer-hunting, but just where in the state, I don't know.

I panicked this morning.  On my son's computer, typed in SeniorLearn and up came some strange page I'd never seen before, telling me all the stuff that had to be done before I could log on.  But then fortunately I found the little cheat sheet in my suitcase, with the "List of Important Places" and it gave the full URL, and all was well.

Phyll

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »
Ginny, it is so good to hear that PD James still has it...she must be near 90 now.  Does anyone know what the P.D stands for?

Just breezing through and quickly reading the posts that have been made so far. 

Joan P.. P.D. James' real name is Phyllis Dorothy James, the baroness James of Holland Park.  Doesn't that sound elegant?  My husband read The Private Patient and liked it though he didn't think it was as good as some of her earlier ones.  However, he allowed that perhaps he just wasn't in the right mood at the time.
phyllis

Frybabe

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
Tah Dah![/b]

I'm here. Where's the Latin?

So this is what you have been up to Ginny. I wondered where you went.

We started on "A Thousand Splendid Suns" on Seniors and Friends with Adoanne.

Right now I am reading "The Ice Limit" by Douglas Preston and Lincloln Child. A duo I had never heard of, but I have heard of "Relic". It's the move title I remember, never saw it. I also started Maxine Hong Kingston's "The Woman Warrior". So far, I am finding it quite interesting.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 07:08:14 PM »
Hi, Frybabe...

The public Latin discussions are located right below this Library:

Welcome to SeniorLearn Classics   is the blue category bar and under that are the two public discussions:

The Classics Forum

Classics Bulletin Board

The Latin classes are, as always, open only to those who are registered for the class.  Those students have received emails from Ginny about their registering, etc.  If you are continuing and didn't get one, email Ginny and she'll get the email to you, I'm sure.

jane

Frybabe

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
Thanks Jane, I found the Latin and the Classics and was wondering abouth the registration. I will have to look see if Ginny sent me an EMail. I didn't notice any earlier today. The notice for the move to this site just arrived a little while ago.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Check your spam folder, Frybabe.