Author Topic: Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14  (Read 16843 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
Talking Heads #14 - Aging Successfully

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

Aging Successfully

Is there a secret to aging successfully,  and what do we mean by "successfully"?

Can we prepare for aging ?  How ?

Do we need to fear retirement as the end of our productive lives ?

Erickson Tribune Articles

What does positive aging mean to you?

Living Words of Wisdom - Chair Yoga Exercises

August 14 - 28

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
Re: Aging Successfully ~ Aug. 14
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
Welcome to our new discussion on Aging Successfully.  I believe the topic will make for an interesting discussion.  As always, we need your thoughts and opinions and invite you to join.  I am ready, waiting for your company. :)

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
I had to smile when I saw "Do we need to fear retirement as the end of our productive lives ?"  For me, the resounding answer is NO!  I worked for 36 years in education, following my college graduation (and for years before that part time through high school and college), and retirement has been wonderful.  It has far exceeded my fondest expectations. 

[Yes, my husband and I planned for our retirement; we didn't somehow wait until we were ready to retire to get our ducks in a row.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
Maybe that's the whole secret of your "success," Jane.  Careful planning.
  I've been thinking of the meaning of the "aging successfully."  A flip answer would be - well, we made it this far - so we must have been doing something right.  Of course, that's not the answer.  Planning is necessary to navigate whatever the future holds - but sometimes that's not easy to do.  A crystal ball might help.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:02:44 AM »
Good morning, and welcome again to our new TH discussion.  
I'm afraid my very first welcoming message yesterday, on opening day, went astray, causing an involuntary delay,  and I would like to express my appreciation to Marcie for putting us on the TH "map".

Thank you for your post, Jane.
Yes, it is indeed prudent to do some careful planning for the retirement years, as I discovered -, a little late.  When my husband died unexpectedly after routine gall bladder surgery at 61, I was woefully unprepared. Of course we learn from such devastating crises.

To maintain a modicum of wellness iso f primary importance. And help is available. Here in Massachusetts we are blessed in this respect. Our Councils on Aging offer a variety of courses and  classes to enhance mobility, among them aerobics for the more agile; chair yoga for the less mobile; Reiki, Tai Chi, crafts, games, trips - providing a social network and forestalling loneliness for those who live alone.
We were not all joggers in our younger years and have become more sedentary as time went on, but according to the maxim of Masterpiece Living's approach is that "it is never too late to improve".  

There's much more to talk about, Thalasso Therapy for one - have you heard of it? -  but firs let me hear from you.
Thank you

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
Aside from some financial planning, if one plans to stay put and not settle down elsewhere, what other kinds of planning are necessary. I decided I could afford it, but other than that, I can't say I really planned for retirement.

I had one thing I really wanted to do, and that was to take the  H & R Block Tax Preparation class, which I did, and I did work part time that first year for them.  After that I decided I did not want to be a scheduled employee in any shape or form, but did do volunteer taxes for AARP for several years.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:52 PM »
pedln,
Based on my experience I believe that it was a mistake for my family not to ever even consider what our later years would be like, let alone plan for any unforeseeable contingencies. It's ironic in my case because I'm not one who is given to  sweep unpleasant things under rugs (though I clearly did).  We plan for and rehearse many important events in our lives, surely it makes sense to get a clear picture of finances, first of all, before it is too late.

Closely related is the question of where we will spend our last years and whether moving to a smaller home might be necessary or expedient. And that will be dictated by individual circumstances.
Several of my friends have moved into independent living facilities where they are comfortable and happy.  After my husband's death I explored that possibility a great length in several locations, near and farther away, but  the housing market no longer favors the seller, and I'm still here.  I love the house which sits on a slight incline and has a view of the pond across the street where my son fished from a boat years ago and skated on in winter.  I cannot complain.  But I do miss traveling ...

salan

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »
Fortunately my husband and I planned financially for our retirement.  We had a few years of unrestricted travel and "playing around".  Unfortunately, he died suddenly, three years ago, at age 70.  I was 65 and developed back problems in the few short months when I was caring for him.  I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and stenosis of the spine.  I am still mobile, but am very restricted as to what I am physically able to do.  I would like to travel, but find it difficult to manage the airport, and then getting around once I am there.  Any suggestions??  Are there tours for those who are physically restricted?   I do have a walker that I use occasionally.  It has a seat, so I am able to sit and rest my back as needed. 

Sally

Steph

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:47 AM »
We were careful planners and enjoyed our retirement. We had an RV and saw so many wonderful things. At least once a year we visited Europe or somewhere else overseas. Then 18 months ago, I lost my husband to a traffic accident. I am still struggling with life alone. I am really just coming to terms with what and how I want. I am buying a second small house for the summers since I live in
Florida and the heat is bothering me. If I did not have two sons living in Florida, I would probably move completely. I also realize I am living in a townhouse that is far to big and three stories of steps is not completely wise.. But I hope in the next year to remedy this.
I go to the gym, lift weights at least once a week and go to Silver Sneakers ( an exercise class for older adults) twice a week. I walk every morning ( or at least normally, the humidity this past week has been horrid.) I belong to several clubs and make sure to participate in a special activity of the club at least once a year. As you can see,, being busy is my mantra. No more RV.. and I guess I will always miss that.. I just could not drive it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Frybabe

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
While I have been putting away for retirement, it isn't enough for me to feel comfortable. Unfortunately, my retirement may be here sooner that I would like. Having been laid off work for one and a half years with only three interviews in that time, I am forced to apply for early SS. Because I do not have a job, I am not allowed to put any money into my IRA.

This is not getting me down, just a little anxious about prices going up while income is going down. In the meantime, I am taking Accounting classes for an Accounting Certificate. Hopefully, this will help me find a job eventually.

Aside from financial stability, I think it is very important to maintain a positive attitude and enjoy what you do have and can do with what you have.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
As Frybabe said, attitude is extremely important, I believe.  There seems to be such a marked difference in enjoyment when one chooses to retire, as being forced to...by health, layoffs, etc.  I'm sure it's the matter of "control"...whether I chose to retire or have been forced into it by circumstances beyond my control.  I believe, however, that's why planning early and consistently is so important...now more than ever for the younger folks.  It's an entirely different work world out there from when I started working full time after college. 

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:02:44 PM »
Thank you for your posts and for keeping the discussion going.
I admit to having had more problems with time this week than is usual for me : My daughter came for a rare visit last Saturday and is flying home tomorrow.  I'll miss her calm, clear-eyed presence.  Please be assured that I'll fully answer your posts tomorrow.

Steph

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 06:19:18 AM »
I think there is a huge gap between wanting to retire and being forced into it.. We planned and executed a successful retirement for many years and now I am changing it to something that a woman alone can use.. I know i need to get a bit of help on the house, since some of the work of keeping up is more than I can deal with.. I just need to make myself hire someone.. I am too independent.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »
I believe, however, that's why planning early and consistently is so important...now more than ever for the younger folks.  It's an entirely different work world out there from when I started working full time after college.

But just what should they do, Jane?

I think, aside from financial aspects, that setting out to plan for retirement would be difficult, especially if you're not making major changes in your lifestyle.  This subject kind of goes along with a WSJ blog I read yesterday about women in the workforce being discriminated against when they were pregnant and/or on maternity leave.  The issue was how to find balance in your life between work/family/personal endeavors, with much slamming of a company (Bloomberg) that expected its employees to work 24/7.

I think that retirement might prove difficult for people whose lives centered only on work, who had no hobbies or interests outside of their work. And it could provide unsatisfactory for those who thought they knew what they wanted to do, but didn't really check it out.  Years ago I had an uncle by marriage who was a hospital director in a large city.  But he was a country boy and couldn't wait until he retired and could move back to his northern state where he could hunt and fish.  They moved, they didn't stay long as he was bored silly.  Eventually he went into part-time hospital consulting.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
We are all so different here with our own experiences that I am thinking sometimes this whole thing called LIFE has other things in store for our plans so well made and saved for over a lifetime.

Look at our situation.  We were just getting into saving for the new IRA program at Ralph's Air&Space company, when he had a massive heart attack at age 49 which left him with only 25 per cent of his heart muscle.  Due to his mis-hearing the dr who told him that,  he went on doing his bicycle exercises for the next 10 years and working full time designing aircraft control systems plus many other aircraft systems.  We did get back to depositing into our IRA but when Ralph turned 59, he was put on the disabled list at his company of only 9yrs employed which meant small pension and very high cost supplementary insurance.  (He had worked for another aerospace company for 21 yrs but was offered a better job at another.) Since then we have lived our lives to the fullest possible on what we had saved plus SS and very small pension which so far covers the cost of the supplementary insurance.  He went to work for another aircraft company in 1999 which he didn't leave until 2005. He was truly enjoying the challenge but the pay didn't come with many benefits except dental and eye insurance.  We have just always been lucky enough to live on what we have.  What else could we do??

Yes, you may wonder how we travel so often???  Well, we had lots of frequent flying miles plus our minivan for land trips.  Sure we would like to do more but one does only what one can and hopefully never has to borrow for enjoying life.  So far, so good.

Did I work?  Yes, but only part time which never helps one save too much and pay was low but I loved my different little jobs (employment agency, bookstore, etc etc.) which made it possible for me to be at home with my family which I thought might be enough 'til our youngest graduated college when I would attempt to return to get my degree.  Never happened, but hey, life is what happens WHILE one is making plans.

As far as I am concerned, I have a GREAT volunteer job right here on SL and before that on SN as a discussion leader in the Books and Latin site.  14 years of new and old friends, and look at all the people I have met online and in person when we are lucky enough to travel together. People from all parts of the world.  For instance. today I ate an a New Zealand Braeburn Organic Apple which made me think of our friend, Kiwi (Carolyn Sterling) in New Zealand and think also, of my other discussion site, Organic Living, on S&F's, where not only Kiwi comes often but also our dear friend, Eloise, who lives in Montreal and who also visited Organic Living regularly.  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »
Pedln....re: But just what should they do, Jane?

I think the ONLY thing they can plan and begin young is to SAVE MONEY consistently.  A small amount started early and continued and increased when income increases can provide the funds at retirement age that will then perhaps let the retirees have options.  To not save and to assume somehow  it'll "all work out" is putting one's head in the sand.  As pensions are phased out, I think the saving and putting money away consistently is even more important.   As they say, "failure to plan is planning to fail."

The people I see now in retirement who are "bored" were boring their whole lives. They had no life except going to work.  They had no friends, did no traveling, no reading, no interest in anything. I don't think people change at retirement age. They're the same people they were at 20...just more set in their ways and ideas.   ;D

Steph

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:29 AM »
Yes, Yes, oh yes.. I too think that people who are bored in retirement invested too much in their work and not enough in their own selves.. Life is fascinating.. I never run out of things to explore.. A lot of them do not use money at all.. But saving early and often does help.. The big problem for many people now is that college has become so expensive.. And yesterday I met a nice couple who  had saved,, had a big house,, lots of money and then she was involved in a very severe auto accident.. They were wiped out financially by it.. They sold the house, rent a townhouse down from mine and are struggling now.. Nice people ruined because their auto insurance did not want to pay. I was so lucky in that my insurance was so fantastic to me and helped me for the first year.. But that was the luck of the draw.. Still I read all the time where a huge percentage of bankruptcies are from medical bills. This should not be. We should be ashamed of ourselves in the U.S. There is a terrible injustice in our medical systems.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
When life happens in an unexpected way, I guess it helps if one is truly flexible and has a strong support from their faith.  
I see what Stephanie is talking about when it comes to the uninsured but I don't think  insuring the whole country by government fiat it the answer.  Perhaps if we found a way to insure just those people who can't pay for their own, we would be a big step ahead.

Sometimes planning just doesn't work for all of us.

But having said that, I want to ask about planning on taking care of oneself while getting ready to retire.  For instance, how many of us exercise regularly? Have we checked into the local senior centers or exercise facilities to see what they offer?  Our senior center offers stretching, tap dancing, table tennis, using the Wii, aerobics, line dancing learning.  These are offered once a week.  Most are free.

How many of us learn how to meditate before we retire?  We have two offerings at our local senior center which would help us move toward inward centering.  Yoga, $3 a class a week and Tai Chi which is free, once a week.

And of course there are always different card games offered like bridge, euchre, poker and pinochle.

Maybe one is interested in crafts, there's always quilting, ceramics and art.

Or sports like golf, tennis and road racing.

Do we plan on volunteering for whatever interests us, ie.  Most hospitals need volunteers.  Our libraries, our food pantries, also need help.

This center offers local trips and and away travel planning.  They bring in cruise or bus travel companies to speak to us about what is going to offered throughout the year.  The trips fill up almost every time.

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Steph

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:38 AM »
You are so lucky in your senior center. The town I live in offers nothing but card games in a rickety old building once a week.. The county has a small program about an hour away since they dont like our end of the county.. I used to live in Volusia county and they have a wonderful program, their own building, congregate meals, all sorts of help and bus trips.. Alas we moved..

Frybabe

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
I agree Steph. My senior center has different things to do, but mostly cards and exercise groups. The day I went to check it out, I got ignored and actually had some guy scowl at me for interrupting their card game (I guess) even though I stood there patiently for several minutes so as not to interrupt a hand or round of play. I am not a card player, but I know better than to break their concentration in the middle of one. Anyhow, I eventually made my way back to where there was an exercise class going on but saw none of the equipment shown on the township website. No supervisor/volunteer organizer was around (except for the person leading the exercise group) to answer questions, no one was helpful. I didn't go back.

This is a far cry from the people who populate the senior center in Mansfield where George spends time when he is up home. Even though their resources are more limited, they are more friendly, George teaches computer stuff in the winter, and they do crafts as well as cards. I think George mentioned a student group from the college come over once and a while too, but I don't know what they do. They are not the type of people to ignore newcomers.

The reception you get when you first go into a place has a big influence. It is a real shame, really. My township senior center is only five or six blocks from me.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:25 PM »
I had the idea that all senior centers across the US would offer some of the same things that ours does.  My point was that it is possible for folks who don't have a lot of money to be able to connect with people at these centers and put a little joy in their lives at small expense.  I guess we are really lucky and I will definitely congratulate our paid "by the city" director.

And I will read another link above and see what else we could be doing to help ourselves enjoy life now or later.

Steph,
Knowing you like to walk even on vacation, what keeps you so motivated??  Is it your dogs that have to be walked every hour on the hour?  Just kidding!

Frybabe,
How are those classes going that your are taking while on layoff?  Its great that you decided to educate yourself for going in a different direction.  What made you choose those particular classes?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
The last days simply flew by, but here I am at last.  
Thank you again for your posts.  As Annie said, we have different experiences but I believe we can agree on the advisability to save money, as Jane said,  from an early age. That's how I was brought up;  piggy banks were the beginning.   I did not get an allowance because our all girls' school, though not a private school,  cost tuition.   As a teenager I earned pocket money by tutoring peers in trigonometry and calculus. Most came to my house.  Saving became a habit, one that teaches self control and inevitably requires a certain self sacrifice.

As Jane and Steph confirmed, it also works. But life is unpredictable, circumstances can change suddenly and disrupt the best laid plans. The worst, of course, is war.  Many years ago, at a particularly difficult period i my life, my best friend from school (with whom I am still in contact) gave me a slim volume of Aphorisms by Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach,1 830-1916, born in what was then the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The little book is still in print and the pearls of wisdom have been of great solace to me. One of these aphorisms seems apt in the context of our discussion. Here is a free rendering of the original German text :
Our life is characterized not by what we experience but rather by how we deal with that experience.

Indeed, as Jane said, attitude is the key, paired with flexibility and willingness to adapt to unexpected changes or reversals. Hardest for me was coming to terms with my not being able to travel any more, as I've said before. I repeat it now in answer to Sally's post. One of my problems is also the back, specifically arthritis of the spine resulting in stiffness and instability.  I dread falls because, once I'm down, I cannot get up on my own (I have one bionic knee and hip each, and a broken shoulder (unrepaired).  But I feel blessed for I can still read (with a magnifying glass in every room), and grateful for the wonderful company in the SL forums. And Annie said it so much better.  Any way, a modicum of independence remains.  There is still so much to enjoy -- and to learn, true to the motto carved in the sandstone of our high school was  "Non scholae sed vitae discimus" = It's not for school that we learn but for life.

The midnight oil gets dimmer, there's so much left to say, but I had better continue this tomorrow.  

Steph

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
Walking.. Here goes. I started walking 25 years ago when I stopped smoking. The doctor recommended it as a distraction and it worked.  so for 25 years, I first walk the dogs in the early morning.. When they were younger, they walked the whole distance, but my current dogs are 12 and 14 and not able to walk so far. So they get an empty out walk, then I return them to the house, plug in my little radio to my ears and off I go..Some days I listen and some days I dont... I see the same people on the walking trail close to every day. The early morning is enchanting. The birds sing... the earth smells fresh and going from semi dark to the brightening light is magical. It clears my head as well as lets me exercise.. I honestly think the head clearing is the most important part. Some days I get silly and sing to myself.. Other days, I skip or hop or swing my arms.. There are not that many people walking, but I sort of smile at all of them and some of them, I say Good Morning..All in all,not walking is hard on me. I spend the day cranky.. So walk.. doesnt matter how far, you will be surprised to see how much it can cheer up your day..Oh, I dont run..Sometimes a little jog, but that is a winter type thing.

Frybabe

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »
How are those classes going that your are taking while on layoff?  Its great that you decided to educate yourself for going in a different direction.  What made you choose those particular classes?

Annie,

So far, A's and B's. There are several reasons I decided on an Accounting Certificate. First, I got a grant for aging workers that pays for the classes to retrain. The grant constrains me to what the state deems are high profile jobs, in other words what they expect will be jobs in demand now and in the future. Accounting is one of them. I actually wanted to just update my office skills with Mircosoft Office, Excel and learn Powerpoint. The Administrative Assistant program was not yet listed when I signed up, so I went with Accounting. That gave me the MS Suite which also included Access (database) and Powerpoint as well as this semester's class in Microcomputing which gives me Quickbooks and more Excel spreadsheet. Also, the Accounting Certificate gave me a choice of Business Writing or Technical and Report Writing. Of course, I just had to have the Tech Writing class, something I wanted to take but could never squeeze into my schedule when I went for my BA.

My first jobs out of high school were all bookkeeping jobs. In fact, in my position at a local broadcast station I was responsible for the entire station's Accounts Payable and the radio side's Accounts Receivable. Now, employers won't even look at you if you don't have an AA. I am not sure I will interest them with a Certificate. So far, none of the accounting positions I've applied for have resulted in a response.

Years of on the job work in a particular field do not necessarily guarantee you will keep the job any more. At least three of the students in my class are taking classes simply to get a degree so they keep their jobs. Employers are demanding the degree these days as a matter of company policy, even from employees who have years of experience with their company. They already know accounting procedures and several accounting software programs, but their experience and knowledge count for nothing without a degree these days.

Another reason I decided to go back to school is that I like to learn. I am learning more about finance and reading financial reports. As a stockholder this is already helping me make better decisions in managing my stocks. Also, aside from the previously mentioned Tech Writing, I learned PowerPoint (what I fun program) and will take Tax Accounting in the Spring (another subject I am interested in). By the way, Intermediate Accounting looks very interesting, I will be learning more about accounting rules and standards, both domestic and international.

Whether any of this helps me to find a job (it is already 16 months I've been out of work) remains to be seen. I was surprised that my unemployment was extended another 13 weeks as I thought I ran through all the tiers. Since I have no clue as to how much longer it will last or whether I actually find a job, I finally broke down and filed an application for early SS. Not the idea situation, but it is not stopping me from looking for a job. I recently found out that one of my acquaintances, who works at a local beer distributor, had her hours cut back. She is getting partial-unemployment, but she is also on SS. So, I guess you can be on both SS and unemployment.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
Well, Stephanie, you have encouraged me to start walking outside again.  I forgot about the psychological benefits of walking.  I was walking on the treadmill due to the cold and the heat here in downtown Gahanna but I see what you say about watching nature's wonderful display and getting more than just exercise.

Frybabe
You are really benefitting from upgrading your skills in Accounting.  Have you considered taking a class on Grant Writing?  Seems thats an important talent to have these days also.

Traude.
Good to see you here.  Your saving habits were encouraged by your parents from childhood?  Wouldn't that always be a good habit for all children?  Oh, yes!  I wonder if parents do that today.
I was a paper girl(mostly a boy's first job) at the age of 9 and my mother took me to the bank to open my own savings account. We went every week to put aside part of my meagre earnings. It was a good lesson.  

Yes, as Jane says, its all part of one's attitude.  

Having been blessed with a great senior center,  I also offer to give rides to the center when I am going to a class because some of us are having a hard time driving in today's traffic.  Another volunteer job.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
Frybabe, when will you finish your studies and receive the Accounting Certificate?  With all that you are taking, it sounds like you will be very very marketable.  It seems like you could even set up your own business, working for and advising small entrepreneurs wanting to start their own businesses.

My SIL never finished college or got her accounting degree, but when her children got older, she went to work for a nearby junior college as an accounting tutor.  She said the students told her they got more from her study sessions than they did in their very large accounting classes.

Good luck with your classes this year.  I would bet that you set a high bar for the other students in the class.

Ann, I think there are a lot of differences among senior centers.  Our local one began as a nutrition center and for several years has offered a noon meal for a VERY reasonable price.  I think they also have exercise classes a few days a week, and maybe a little card playing. But that's about it.  My friends in Kenosha, WI go to one that sounds more like yours.  They pay yearly dues, have been taking computer classes there for years, and frequently go on the day trips that the center offers.

Frybabe

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »
Annie, one of the things I was looking forward to in the Technical and Report Writing class was learning how to do grant writing. It was in our book. The teacher, instead, opted for us to do a research report. I wasn't too happy about it, because I already had plenty of research reports under my belt, not to mention, I believe one of the English Comp. classes covers research reports. I was surprised that we didn't do the grant writing. T & R is an upper level writing class. Students in that class should already have had experience in research reporting. They offer grant writing classes on occasion, but I think they are offered only in summer non-credit classes. The one class I would like to take yet that is not part of my curriculum is Governmental and Non-Profit Accounting. This is a summer class offering for which I would have to pay. I almost signed up for it this last spring, but decided not to give the Financial Aid and Registration people another excuse to foul up my paperwork, an ongoing problem with them. Are Financial Aid programs a big mess at other colleges?

Pedln , my last to classes for the certificate are in the Spring. If I actually get a job with a not for profit, I will take the Goverment and Non-Profit Accounting class mentioned above. It is only offered in the summer.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
Frybabe, I am certain your studies will pay off in one way or another. As pedln  mentioned, you may even et up shop for yourself. You are acquiring further knowledge and expertise in a field for which you have a natural affinity which bodes well for the future, I believe. More power to you !

Steph, there's no doubt your regular walking is beneficial to your health and wellbeing. It is worth being emulated by those who are able. And those who cannot have to compensate in one form or another, where possible aided by a center for the elderly like our Council on Aging. No effort is spared by a competent staff to create  a haven the elderly (now mostly female) population - in short, there's something for everybody. In my opinion, there is virtue in doing something that fits society, and I fail to understand why people have such an av ersion to the adjective social

Annie, your post detailing the difficult journey following your husband's heart attack shows that lightning make strike out of a clear blue sky, and certain provisions would be of immense help, for instance health insurance,not only for the neediest, but also for the middle class.  In my opinion, Social security and Medicare are godsends.

I was born in Germany and spent 1/3 of my life in Europe.  After the war I married and worked in Frankfurt. According to the contract, six weeks notice were required for employer and employee. I had 6 weeks paid maternity leave and returned to the job afterward. Both my huband and I had full health insurance. My widowed mother, who had never worked out of the home,  received a pension and was comfortable.  We took it for granted - we knew nothing else.

My husband's re-entry into civilian life was neither easy nor smooth. He was attracted by this country's "unlimited possibilities".  Friends of my sister introduced us to an American military family who became our sponsors. The process took five years. At the end of that period we were called to the American Consulate in Frankfurt and (after X-rays showed neither of us had TB), issued a visa.

By then our sponsors were back living in Arlington, the husband stationed at the Pentagon but with new orders for Florida.  The left in a few weeks' time. But it was our sole contact and so we stayed in the area for twenty years.  Later we learned that New York would have provided a wider range of possibilities for my husband's engineering background, as well as for me because of the foreign languages I speak.

In Washington our sponsors told us that "health insurance in this country was different from what we were used to and we should contact an insurance company asap", warning us also to be cautious "because some companies make a contract and, when claims come in, choose to cancel it."  I was stunned and will never forget the name of the company that had allegedly done that.
I will not extol the virtues of the health system(s) abroad, but I will say that ours needs improvement. 

The beginning was proverbially difficult. My small daughter caught whoooping cough and had to be boarded for some time way out in Maryland. We had no car and had to beg one of my colleagues at work to take us out there on Fridays and back on Sundays (with tearful goodbyes). I found a job at a patent law firm as a translator of foreign patent applications wih the inventor or, more often the assignee, wa seeking to get a U.S. patent. The job was fascinating and I loved it.

When my daughter 13 I had my son and decided, right then and there, that I would not go back to work full time. Instead I became a freelancer for the same atorneys I had worked for, and others. Frybabe, gake it from me, nothing is more satisfying than working for oneself in whatever it may be.  I was able to drive my son to a Montessori School in Springfield, Va. where the director asked if I would teah the children French (would I !!!) and, later, German. It was as total an immersion as I could manage wit flashcards and lots of songs - Frère Jacques and Sur le pont d'Avignon.  The greatest fun was a sketch built around the then popular "I can't believe I ate the whole thing", which we presented to parents. 

After twenty yeas, my husband's company closed its Virginia affiliate and transferred him and a few others to Massachusetts. Once again I followed, nolens volens. My son's family is local, my California daughter and her husband have moved to Texas, whence she just visited for a few precious days.As I said earlier, I have explored independent living facilities at the behest of a neighbor who, deep down, doesn't want to leave her home either. Even so I'm able to write objectively about what I saw, should that be of interest.

salan

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
AdoAnnie,  I am curious.  Where exactly is Ghanna?
Sally

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
Salan,
That's GAHANNA, not Ghanna(which is in Africa).  And Gahanna is in Ohio. Very unexciting lazy little city outside Columbus, Ohio.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:39 PM »
Earlier today my computer balked when I tried to modify several typos and add missing words. No matter how hard I tried, it would not budge. I am sorry.

We are a little beyond the half-way point in our discussion of what makes for a  successful retirement and have defined some useful facts.

* Although life is full of imponderables,  preparation and saving money is essential for the years after our working life.
* Slowing down is normal with age and need not be a bar to activities previously enjoyed. Moderation is always indicated.
* Even small illnesses can require a longer period of recovery.
* Especially those who live alone ned to guard against falls and wear  a Lifeline© or Live-Alert© bracelet or pendant to summon help.
* Gloomy days can be a trial for some of us (they are for me) but we should try to maintain a cheerful, hopeful attitude, a sense of humor.
* It is also a good idea to make timely provisions for the future.
* Well-being includes a healthy diet and whatever exercise is possible, including chair yoga.
* Most if not all states, I believe, offer some support for the elderly. The local Council on Aging has volunteers who take patients to doctors' offices. That can be an enormous relief, for instance after visiting  the ophthalmologist, when one is half blinded by those drops ...
* Staying in contact with ailing friends is mutually beneficial.

Pedln, people who are easily bored are bores to others. I have met a few in my time. It's an affliction for which there is no cure. Still, it takes all kinds to make a world.  :)

Steph

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »
I have been told that the life line, etc are only good in the house and not out.. Why.. or is it not true.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
A good summary, Traude.  Steph, why would Life Line not work outside?  I would think that, along with the basement, that would be important

In my opinion, Social security and Medicare are godsends.

I agree totally, Traude.  And I have a lot more faith that I'm not being screwed by Medicare, but am not at all sure about my secondary insurance, which is three times the cost of Medicare. At least I can read and understand the statements from Medicare.  Not the other.

Re:Insurance.  One comment I hear frequently from the under 65 group, especially among those near or thinking about retirement, and those really wanting retirement  is "I have to figure out if I can pay the health insurance."
I remember my brother and SIL could be cobrad for 18 months after they retired.  So they timed it so there would be no gap before they picked up Medicare.

I shouldn't complain about the costs of the secondary as I know of several under65s who have retired and are paying (what I think) are astronomical amounts until Medicare kicks in.

Frybabe

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
My COBRA runs out the end of November. Then I will have to find something to fill the gap between then and Medicare year.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 12:31:23 PM »
Yes, Pedl'n,
We are paying paying 8 times the Medicare dues for our secondary or supplemental insurance.  I have very little complaint about the forms that (EOBs) that are mailed here.  Sometimes a mistake happens but so far, I have had no problem dealing with our supplemental operators at Aetna.  I'm thankful that so far Ralph's pension covers the premium but if it goes up next year, that may be more than the pension so we will have to decide whiich we will buy.  Right now, Medicare pays 80% of the bills and Aetna supplementary pays 80% of what Medicare doesn't pay.  Leaving us with nothing or a small amount to pay.  We are on the original Medicare plan.  If they offer, as they did last year, the Advantage plan for half of what the supplemental costs, this time we will think about going to that plan.  It's all an up in the air proposition anyway. Is Obamacare striking in 2012??  Who knows what will happen then?

At this moment, we are trying to deal with a Healthcare Visiting Nurse visiting twice a day for dressing changes to Ralph's wound site.  He is on strong antibiotics due to two serious bugs that have invaded his wound site.  Supposedly Medicare is paying for all of this along with Aetna throwing in their 80%.  Medicare has approved 60 days or 60 visits, I'm not sure, but I will have to get that told to me one more time as we may have to start paying for it ourselves?  Maybe Medicare will extend the time if Ralph still has the infection.  After surgery, on Aug 11th, he was in the hospital for 7 days and came home on the 18th of Aug.  He was very weak but is feeling much better today, Aug 24th. When you have surgery twice in two weeks, the ole' body just isn't up to fast recovery but being home definitely makes a big difference.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
Pedln,  how very true.
What I meant to say is that Medicare is at least a safety valve,  a small cushion so to speak, but I agree that supplementary insurance is a necessity.  How else could we manage ? Mine is with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The premiums have risen four-foldover the years,  but I wouldn't dare be without it ? I have no complaints. Prescription meds are covered,  by now all generic , except for Celebrex
(for the spinal arthritis), which comes with a hefty copayment.  Every time a refill is ordered, I receive a letter urging me to authorize their switching to generic. I have no plan for doing it.

Annie,  I fully understand the hardship.  Also IMO,  there is reason to be concerned about the future of SS.  I shudder to think of where we might be today if the vigorous attempts to privatize the system had been carried out.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »
Ann....
It's all an up in the air proposition anyway. Is Obamacare striking in 2012??
  Thank heavens parts that affected us went into effect last year...we each got a check for $250.00 to help offset the donut hole on prescription drugs that had us paying $800 out of pocket for Ray's 'scripts.   This year, those in the donut only pay 50% of what they would have paid last year.  That's a tremendous help to a lot of us.

jane

Steph

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »
I love my AARP supplemental.. I pay nothing and when we had the accident, it truly helped so enormously. I also have the AARP prescription, but that I am not altogether happy with. I have all generics and I still pay 11.00 for each three month supply and originally I paid nothing for the generics. Each year they have been going up.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
[Steph...you must get your AARP supplement as a retirement perk from employment somewhere?  We have it as well, but pay $330.00 per month for the two of us. I know this varies by state.  It has covered everything we need, however.  Ray has the drug part also and I'm going to change to it.  I've been with BC/BS, but they're adding higher and higher deductible...$300. this year, before their coverage kicks in...way too much.]

The most depressing part of aging is seeing what's happening to others in my age group here locally.  People who've finally retired and then get catastrophic medical news. 

jane

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »
Jane,  AARP runs frequent ads on TV to interest people in their supplemental health care program.  
We belonged years ago and I remained a member after my husband's death. Even then they offered supplemental health insurance, but I don't remember there being any strings.  I believe this is AARP's own, independent effort.  I never inquired because we did not need it at the tie.
A few years back the organization came out strongly against a planned/suggested medicare improvement (which may well have had to do with the donut hole clause, for all I remember). Their vehement opposition to that measure, whatever it was,  dismayed me and appeared to me like a lobbying effort. Theretofore I had not considered them as a lobbying group (and I could have been mistaken in that assumption).   I canceled my membership, in writing.  Every once in a while I get a letter inviting me back, even at a  membership fee
cheaper than I recall.

Jane , my observations of my peers show exactly what you stated. Memory loss and sign of early dementia in a familiar group of friends is distressing to watch.  My thoughts are with Ḗloȉse and her family every day. All we can do is pray and hope she is kept free of pain.

Yes pedln , we can assume that each state has its own system of support for the elderly. How much the centers can offer depends on
how much money is in the community's coffers.  I remember with much gratitude and fondness that Alexandria, VA, offered an amazing variety of marvelous day and evening classes and courses for adults, back when we lived there.   True, at the time was not yet 'elderly. :). Nothing comparable has been available here in my thirty plus years  in Mass.  However, the CoA (Council on Aging) deserves high praise.

I agree with what has been said about planned retirement as opposed to involuntary (forced) retirement. The former is justly looked forward to with joy; the latter breeds resentment, not seldom trauma.  That, alas, is one of the imponderables.