Author Topic: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions  (Read 43174 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
Talking Heads #15 - Twenty Questions

This discussion will be open from September 19 through September 30.

Library Bar in Auckland NZ

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Remember '20 Questions' on TV or better yet, remember when we were very young Teens and we set up a black marble composition book to list our classmates 20 favorites  - Let's have some Teenage fun and share our favorites.

Your memory is probably chucked full but please just share one choice for each question. - Think, carrying your own luggage aboard a flight to a mountaintop or ocean isle - What do you pack?

Please keep the conversation in a separate post from the post where you simply with a few words list your answers to our 20 questions. I wonder how many new books and places we will learn from each other.

Here are our Twenty Questions...!

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JoanK
BooksDL

I did some research as a graduate student in the Library of Congress. I didn't have my own desk, but I had my own shelf, so once I ordered a book, I could keep it there indefinitely. We weren't supposed to wander in the stacks, but I found if I looked like I knew what I was doing, no one would bother me. I used to spend hours there: it's like a maze in back, where no one sees it. Sometimes I'd come across a desk in a corner, with someone who looked like they'd been sitting there for 10 years or more.

I wondered if they ever found a skeleton sitting at one of those desks.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:51 PM »
Barb,  Carry on MR. Bowditch  -- that was such a good children's book.  Good for adults, too.  I think it received the Newbery Award.

I wonder if we read the same Christmas story in the Woman's Magazine.  I had just started teaching and my mother found it for me.  About sharing and being happy with what you have. Little Girl's mother knew there would be no doll that year, but wouldn't it be wonderful to have a mouse that you could carry in your pocket.  Can't come up with title and author.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
Amended list:

Favorite dessert cookbook: "Chocolate on the Brain" by Nancy and Kevin Mills. It's full of hilarious tidbits on the history of chocolate, as well as yummy recipes. Kevin is my Son-in-law, so whenever I visit my daughter, I get a dessert from it.

mabel1015j

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »
Hehe that list is the bane of the day for most of us - I have decided to treat it like a snap shot - today at this time such and such - tomorrow much less an hour from now - but I have narrowed a few down and the others I realize fall along similar lines - but "A" favorite book - either novel, or children's or even cookbook much less a favorite author and I even have a couple of favorite non-fiction and then the memories of either reading or being read to - oh oh oh - and to choose a favorite - at least I have a movie of events running through my memory and that is nice - some even make me laugh.

Barb - didn't you make up this list???  :D ;D :D i'm beginning to think there is a touch of evil in you. TIC

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
Jean do you remember which of the Bobbsey Twin books was read - I still have the copy of the first book - since it was my mother's it is precious - where the little guy - can't remember his name - is locked in the Department store  - then there was something about them all ice skating - they were easy characters to identify with at our early age weren't they.

Pedln yes, Carry on Mr. Bowditch - came out later and that was the book I gave to my children and their children where as, my read was Berry's Sextant and Sails; the Story of Nathaniel Bowditch

Do not remember the Christmas story you are remembering Pedln but for years there were two inexpensive magazines at the grocery check out - one was special to the A&P and the other was Living something or other but I am remembering when they were both only 2 cents and later a nickel and still later a dime - the Aunt Tuddy story was illustrated by Hilary Knight, who did Eloise.

Aunt Tuddy had 7 cats with these astonishing names like Ashurbanipal for one of them and she visits the department store every day to check up that they have the latest and try out everything that is new - she receives a Christmas check to the store from her nephew that is incorrectly printed out because the equipment got stuck and so she buys and buys and buys for everyone in her life including all the sales clerks - the president doesn't have the heart to stop her and ends up covering her buying spree chalking it up as good will since most of the gifts are for his employees - of course she and the major marry after years of - I forgot why but they were in love since they were young - and of course he is wealthy as all get out and pays for not only her gifts but uniforms the boys soft ball team that she had befriended all the 'terrible' little boys.

Oh Lordy Joan Chocolate on the Brain Here of late I have turned into a chocoholic so now I will just have to stop and pick up more individually wrapped Dove bars - and the history of chocolate - fascinating...!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
 :D :D ;)  :-* No just an imagination of wonders that can be that is greater than even I -  :D - I thought it would be fun and then when I got to answering the questions reality hit...ta ta ta boom
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 03:52:05 PM »
Weren't they Bert and Nan and Freddie and Flopsie?  The Bobbsey Twins.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
Yes! Give that woman a $5 cigar... Yes...

rosemarykaye

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
Barb - I just love that blog that you posted the link to - the "roses round the door" one - I have bookmarked it.

I have visited Beatrix Potter's house and I am sorry to say that it is really not all that interesting. I remember liking Keats' house at Hampstead much more, and the house that Wordsworth stayed in at Cockermouth is very good:

http://www.wordsworthhouse.org.uk/aboutthehousegarden.html

Will have a think about all these questions!

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
I have to decided to answer those questions that I immediately knew the answer.  I'm still thinking and narrowing down the rest.

6.  movie made from book.    Gone With The Wind and Anne of Green Gables
7. & 8.  Favorite place to read.  In my recliner in den, or at the kitchen table
13.  Favorite cookbook.  Both of these were given to me as a wedding gift in 1964 and are falling apart....Better Homes and Gardens (red & white checked cover) and a regional cookbook with tried and true southern recipes given to me by my older sister--Tried & True Methodist Cookbook from Gonzales, TX.  That one was reprinted a few years ago due to popular demand and my sister bought me a new one (same good recipes) and also one for my daughter.
14.  The same two cookbooks listed above
15.  Book I had to hide.  Lady Chatterly's Lover.  My best friend sneaked it out of her mother's bookcase and kept it under her bed.  I would go over and she & I would lay in the bed and read it.
16.  Favorite book blog (and only one I belong to)  Sr. Learn
17.  Favorite holiday book.  I love reading Christmas book and usually spend all of December reading books with a Christmas theme.

Sally

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
OH, I just said yes that I had to cover a verbotten book but I didn't give the title.  Salan reminded me with her title of Lady Chatterly's Lover.  Mine too.  We lived in a small apartment, my mom and I and my sister, and I was so afraid of being caught that I read in the bathroom with the door locked.  Even when no one was home or awake!   ;D ;D
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
 :D ;) some of us just cannot take no for an answer especially if it is the title of a book - censor - please - we can just censor ourselves so we said if not outloud at least in our heads - so there - hehehe - some of the books they are censoring now though is un-be-liev-able

Oh oh oh Gone with the Wind - Salon were you one of those who like myself dutifully read Gone with the Wind every year for years and years and years - although, I must say unlike you I was not crazy for the movie - I was not a Clark Gable fan and my Rhett was prettier although built like a tree.

And you also an Anna of Green Gables fan - we have several among us who noted Anna as a favorite - y'all almost need to start up a in-house blog discussion all about Anne - seems to me there were books of her as a child and then later when she grew into adulthood or am I thinking of A Girl of the Limberlost

Rosemary we are anxiously looking forward to hearing more about you through this list - and yep, it takes some thinking doesn't it...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
This does indeed take a lot of thinking.  Jean, your suggestion that we take it as a snapshot opinion is a big help.  With that in mind, I'll quote one of my favorite quotes.  It's from Greek poet George Seferis, from the "Thrush":

As the years pass
so increase in number the judges who condemn you.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
What library to visit?  That's an awful choice.  But for tonight (thanks, Jean) I'll go for the library of the Abbey of Saint Gallen in Switzerland.  Aside from its important manuscripts, including a Niebelungenlied, it is beautiful architecturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_library_of_Saint_Gall

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
Pat I would have loved it if we could have printed out the entire poem but it is too too long - so here is a link - the poetry of George Seferis has hit the poetry followers of the world by storm - the link to the poem http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/181853'/

Thanks for including the link to the Library at the Abbey of St. Gallen - can you just imagine trying to focus and study in such surroundings and then, the thrill it must be to hold in your hand a book bound and printed several hundred years ago. This reminds me how I used to have a dream that whatever I owned was less in number but each object would be a beautiful piece of the best handcrafted visible entity. hmmm the early computers just do not cut it and mine is now considered by the geek world ancient therefore ugly.  A library like this reminds us that we use our computer among other things as a library and how do we compare thee...are thou more lovely...

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
PatH,
The library is beautiful and look at the link that I found inside.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

CubFan

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 12:51:56 AM »

As of right now - tomorrow others will come to mind.

1.   What is your favorite fiction book? War & Peace, A Tale of Two Cities
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book? The Coldest Winter (most recent read) - any McCullough or Halberstam
3.   Who is your favorite author? Taylor Caldwell
4.  What is your favorite children’s’ book? Anne of Green Gables, Caddie Woodlawn, Boxcar Children
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet? Rise & Fall of the Third Reich
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite? Gone With the Wind
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter? Crawled in a snug sack in a recliner with a cup of hot chocolate.
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot? Outside in a my swing.
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite? none
10.  What is your favorite time in history to read about? 1900 - 1970 - that which I’ve heard about or don’t remember
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit? Bodleian
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit? Shakespeare
13.   What is your favorite cookbook? Betty Crocker - wedding present in 1964
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most? none - my Mother’s individual recipes
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover? Peyton Place in high school
16.   What is your favorite book blog? Senior Learn
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday) Why the Chimes Rang
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author? can’t decide
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone? Every December I would read spend about an hour reading A Certain Small Shepherd to each of the fourth classes in my schools. One year I was somewhat apprehensive about reading it as I had a non attentive combined group of about 75. They started out politely listening and then they collectively became so engrossed in the book that when I finished it you could have heard a pin drop. They quietly got up and returned to their classrooms without saying a word. 
20.   What is your favorite memories of someone reading to you? I had two teachers I remember reading to the class - third grade Miss Batten read Through the Ant Hill (which I later read & found it harsh) and Little House in the Big Woods’ and seventh grade - Mr. Williams read Freddy the Detective.  And - public library story hour - Timothy Turtle, & the Golden Egg Book.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

roshanarose

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 02:09:54 AM »
Barb - What have you unleashed??

I found this quote and liked it. 

I thought that the chief thing to be done in order to equal boys was to be learned and courageous. So I decided to study Greek and learn to manage a horse.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Steph

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 06:37:10 AM »
Oh yes, do read Conrad Richter, but I loved the series.. Some of it is still so vivid in my brain.. I loved the books and the tv series and that is certainly rare for me..
Still working on the quote. I have dozens and trying to nail it down is tricky..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

hats

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
May I take the questions out of order????

9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?

I would have to say ROOTS by Alex Haley. Haven't read the book. Thought the week of programs wonderful.

hats

« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
  What is your favorite nonfiction book?

I think my favorite nonfiction book is Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama. I really enjoyed that book especially his travels back to Africa.

hats

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I loved the book and the movie.

hats

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)

The Christmas Memory by Truman Capote

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »
Great hats - so glad you are sharing - Roots - that sure was a wonderfully done TV series wasn't it - the whole concept of starting from the beginning and giving us a glimpse of life starting in Africa - That series elevated the careers of so many actors some of who went on to bigger roles that brought them acclaim for their work.  

You've nudged me - I read one of Barack Obama's books before he became president but did not read this one - sounds like I need to add Dreams of My Father to my reading pile.

Yes, The Christmas Memory - so many wonderful Christmas stories by many an accomplished and well known writer with Truman Capote among that elite group. ''imagine a morning in late November" oh yes, and "it's fruitcake weather!"

Gumtree

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
Still working on my 'snapshot' - almost there but so much is crowding into my mind.

Hey Hats I'd forgotten about Roots - I didn't read the book but did watch the series and thought it was great - I'm still whittling down my choices for the TV - and everything else as well.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

mabel1015j

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
Hi Hats! So good to "see" you (post).

Oh! Yes! Roots! I totally forgot it. It was wonderful.

Roshanarose - i remember that quote of ECS only because I downloaded her free autobio some months ago from- i think - google books. Your posting reminded me or i never would have thought about it. I'm a concept person, have a hard time remembering details unless i'm focusing on them regularly, as for teaching my classes.

Barb, this has been fun.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
roshanarose - perfect - that quote sounds just like how we want our picture of Elizabeth Cady Stanton to be portrayed and it seems she was every bit what we hoped. Looks like you took her lead and followed with your own ability to show courage and be learned.

Steph are you saying the Richter trilogy was a TV series - honestly - I had no idea - more and more to push me towards getting started with his books. I think that is why I like the Irish authors - not only have the a gift with language that blows me away but they seem to have an inborn knack for a good yarn with adventure on every other page. Sounds like Richter has that same gift.

Since most of us are people of words - words stir us - words calm us - words give us direction - once you choose your quote we really see you in 3D. You already introduced a couple of books like the Cheerleader and the one about the wild horses.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »
Jean -  :-*

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Whoops Gum came in for a minute as well - good morning - have you had your coffee with your list making - for some reason the coffee this morning tastes extra good - could be because a light cool front came in - can't get excited the temps will still hit the 90s today but it sure makes for a lovely morning and I am getting the biggest enjoyment from this list making that everyone is doing - can't wait to start grouping likes together regardless of who contributed what...

mabel1015j

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
Are you save now Barb?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
Ta Ta Ta Tah - Clubfan YOU DID IT! The entire list - let's see now - you also with War and Peace - that was a tome wasn't it - did you read it in your adult years or when you were a teen?  

Ah and the Tale of Two Cities - there has been many a movie or TV movie of the story and each time the edge of the chair is all I can manage. What a story and what a time in history.

I do not know The Coldest Winter - need to look that one up - oh and your library - The glories of the technology of the twenty-first century - here is a YouTube virtual tour of the Bodleian in Oxford - those doors - talk about a slice of time made visible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNUuiVXYpQw

Gumtree

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:59 PM »
Jude Was interested in your mention of Dag Hammarskjold - I had a friend who was a prominent journalist and who was among the first group to reach the site of the plane crash he died in. Until her death about three years ago she remained convinced that there were suspicious circumstances surrounding the crash even though nothing was ever proven. She was also convinced that there was an official cover-up as to the cause of the crash and the way Hammarskjold had actually died. I guess there will always be conjecture about it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Yes Jean, I am assuming you mean from the fires - we are all chipping in everyway we can to help out now - I have been involved with an out-door and environmental group from Austin to Bastrop and beyond to Smithville and so my focus is on the donation of seeds and the kind of pine trees that will grow in our drought like conditions - looks like we have an offer from a tree farm in Alabama who not only will sell the trees but is making a hefty donation of trees -

A lot of work and a lot of families - last week buried was a police officer and a fireman both victims of the fires. 11 Firemen lost their homes. And closer to me 27 Real Estate agents lost their home.

It has been a summer - the hottest on record and this week although it dipped below the 3 digit mark it still is in the high 90s - with hardly any acorns falling looks like we are in for a warm winter as well. The temps would be easier to contend with if we were not so short of water - ah so - Into each life a little rain must fall, now if the rain would just fall we would have it made...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2011, 12:15:07 PM »
Gum there was only recently - maybe last week - an article on the BBC news that they are opening the investigation into the plane crash - maybe enough time has passed that the truth can be told.

Gumtree

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »
do they have Library bars in Australia?

Barbara: I don't know about library bars but we do have 'Book Caffes' which are a combined bookshop and coffee shop. They are very popular with F2F bookclubs as the club can hold their meetings over coffee and and the bookshop side sells the books at discount prices. Likewise people buy a coffee to drink while perusing a couple of books and deciding whether to purchase or not.  Generally I don't buy my books from Book Caffes as I always feel they've been a little too well thumbed by sticky fingers.

mabel1015j

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
I had posted something like this site of beautiful libraries in "library" some months ago, but here is a list of 20 beautiful libraries. I had also posted a video of the Libray of Congress which precipitated my wish to visit it. Some of these are just exquisite.

http://www.oddee.com/item_96527.aspx

I see some of your choices in this list.

mabel1015j

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 12:33:41 PM »
I had no idea who Jay Walker was or why he would have a library pictured in that group. Here is what i found:

Walker owns what he calls "The Walker Library of the History of Human Imagination."[35] Located in his Ridgefield, Connecticut home, the 3,600 sq. ft. private facility contains more than 50,000 volumes including thousands of landmark books and museum-level artifacts. The architecture is a multi-level, maze-like setting, inspired in part by the paradoxical spaces depicted by artist M.C. Escher.
The "library" is the subject of a short documentary film[35] by David Hoffman, and was profiled as "the most amazing library in the world" by Wired magazine.[36] Walker, who refers to himself as the library’s “curator,” has spoken about its theme and displayed some of its contents at the annual TED conference in Long Beach, California.[37] Jay Walker has hosted numerous world leaders from business, government, science, medicine, the arts and education. It is not open to the public.

How about that?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
they've been a little too well thumbed by sticky fingers.
I wondered - but then what I loved was similar here with both Borders [that just went out of business all over the nation ] and Barnes and Noble - both stores have a coffee shop in the bookstore and folks pile up some books to thumb through while drinking their Latte and some even eating a heated sandwich - but amazing I have never noticed sticky pages when I purchased books at either store. I'm thinking maybe folks are conscious of the problem.

I had never heard of a Library Bar and instantly became curious...I wonder if Kiwilady would know and could fill us in on the mechanics of their operation.

Jean I wonder - said with a smile - is Jay Walker the same as the character we see striding on a whiskey bottle - from the description of his home library sounds like the bottle was at his elbow -

So glad you included the link to those beautiful libraries - there was one wasn't there a link I mean to all the most beautiful libraries in the world - seems to me there were some 91 of them but the site does not seem to be online any longer - I had bookmarked the link and the page shows that it is no longer active. And so your find is a real gift - thanks...

Gumtree

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:08 PM »
This is my snapshot for today -I expect that in ten minutes time some answers will have changed - though some are firmly fixed.

This really was some exercise.

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
       George Eliot - Middlemarch
 2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
       Eric Rolls – A Million Wild Acres  – his Celebration of the
       Senses
is great reading too!

3.   Who is your favorite author?
       William Shakespeare  – Nowadays I don’t read him often
       enough

4.   What is your favorite childrens’ book?
       Richard Scarry – The Great Pie Robbery
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
       Dante’s  Divine Comedy – have only read parts of it
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite? 
       The Leopard – Guiseppe Tomasi de Lampedusa
7.    Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
        In ‘my’ armchair.
8.     Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
        Under a shady gumtree or alongside the pool with a glass
        something cold at my elbow
9.    What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
        Brideshead Revisited – Forsythe Saga -  equally
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
         In fiction – 18th & 19th Century.  History – Ancient, Medieval and
         Renaissance

11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
         The British Museum and the Vatican Library equally.
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
         Not much interested in their houses – or in what they had for
         breakfast.

13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
         The Country Women’s Association Cookbook – Wouldn’t
         you know -It’s Australian!

14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
         The Golden Wattle Cookbook -  you guessed it – another
         Aussie – I’m not really into cooking or desserts but these two
         books taught me how to cook -

15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
         Vicki Baum’s The Mustard Seed – I was about 11 or 12
         and read it whilst supposedly doing my homework.             
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
          SeniorLearn – though I don’t class SL as a ‘blog’ exactly.
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
         Any long book. I have taken Proust with me on holiday – only
         one volume though

18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
         In the context of ‘reading’ it has to be Holbrook Jackson -
          Reading is an art and the reader an artist.

19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
         Reading Richard Scarry’s The Great Pie Robbery to my
         younger son. He loved it so – as a grown man of 30+  he found it
         on my shelves one day and sat down on the floor right there and
         then and read it aloud from cover to cover.

20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?
         Don’t really have one – my father told us stories instead. Once I
         learned to read I didn’t like being read to – still don’t much like audio
         books.

It's past my bedtime - g'nite

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »
Gum you did it! And lots of goodies for us to look up - I wonder if your cookbooks are even available here in the states - am not familiar with Eric Rolls - either his, A Million Wild Acres  or his Celebration of the Senses  - need to look into both those books - the titles are intriguing.

And great fun the Great Pie Robbery is available at Amazon - here is the link The Great Pie Robbery Look at that illustration will you - I think I have to break down and add this to my collection - if just for the illustrations.

hahaha I cannot believe - oh dear -  :o I just looked up A Million Wild Acres on Amazon - get this - the paperback copy is $156. 61 or if you want to pay the international postage you can order it used directly from Australia for $140. and the Hardback copy is $234 - OK not exactly pocket change  ::)  :D :D ;)

They do look like good books and the cover is very attractive - however not quite enough gold impregnated in the pages  ;)  :-*