Author Topic: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~  (Read 270988 times)

EvelynMC

Re: Suggestion Box for Future Book Discussions ~ VOTE HERE!
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

Polls are now open to choose  Bookclub Online titles for JULY and AUGUST Discussion!

VOTE HERE UNTIL JUNE 8!

Title
Author
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn                    Clemens
The Lacuna                    Kingsolver
Frankenstein                    Shelley
Dracula                    Stoker
Gulliver's Travels                    Swift
From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and Their Tellers                    Warner

EvelynMC

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
I was also curious when this discussion will start.  I voted for both of these books so am looking forward to reading it with all of you.

Evelyn

serenesheila

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
I am curious, how did the rest of the proposed books rank in the vote?  It seems to me that they are all worth being discussed.

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »
Sheila, I'll post that this evening.  Right now I'm trying to line up the DLs for the two that came in at the top of the list.

JudeS

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
I really don't know where to post this but I came across an ad in The New Yorker Magazine about a contest to take your Book Club to Guernsey in honor of the book we have read"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' by Mary Ann Shaffer.
To enter just go to the following E-Mail address thru Google:
Takeyourbookclubtoguernsey.com
Please spread the word or let me know what is the appropriate site to put this notice.
 I already entered. You never know how Lady luck will roll.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:42 PM »
How very interesting, Jude!  Wouldn't that be something?  How would we ever agree which six of our club would be eligible to go - should we win, of course!  Well, okay, l first things first - you've entered - I will too - and will scatter this around.  Perhaps in the Library.

And maybe in the Book Bytes which should go out to all Bookies tomorrow.  what fun!

Here are the Official Random House Rules of the game

It's simple, really simple to register!
If you participated in the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion, please please register here - the six lucky members of our SeniorLearn Book Club could win an all expense paid trip to Guernsey this fall!

Remember, you can enter as often as once a day!

Thanks, Jude!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2009, 02:23:18 PM »
Shelia, the five titles you see in the header were the semi-finalists.  I agree, they would all be worth discussing. Though the Dickens'  books and People of the Book were way ahead of the other three.  I think we'll keep the other titles on the list and then after we discuss the top two, we'll vote again to see if they still hold the interest of the majority.  Often we see a change after a few months.

Evelyn, I think we'll do Geraldine Brooks People of the Book in July and then, depending on the author Matthew Pearl's availability, we'll do the two Dickens'  books in August.  If Matthew is not available, we may have to postpone Dickens until October and come up with other selections for August and September.  Does this make any sense? :D

retired

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
I agree with the suggestion of the Novel " The White Tiger ".
The author Aravind Adiga is a native of India and now resides in th USA.
It is his first novel and was selected for the Man Booker award for 2008.

EvelynMC

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
JoanP,

People of the Book in July is fine with me.

I wanted to take part in the Night Villa discussion in June, so I'm glad we are waiting until July for Peope of the Book.

The Dickens in August or whenever is fine too.

All of the selections were good choices!  It was hard to choose.

Evelyn

fureteur

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2009, 04:05:42 AM »
I wonder if there would be any interest in discussing the Alexandria Quartet by the English author, Lawrence Durrell?  The Quartet is composed of four different novels, Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive and Clea which are set in Alexandria, Egypt during the thirties, as I recall, and the collection is a tale of love in the twentieth century, although not the kind of romantic love those unfamiliar with Durrell's work might think.  As I recall, Durrell's first publisher declined to publish the Quartet, concerned that it would not be accepted by the general public and would be deemed too sexually explicit and permissive for the time, the early sixties, as I remember.

The stories are powerful in their narrative and the reader's attention is required throughout the series as the conflicts and potent emotions of the principals is woven by the author.

What is fascinating to me about the author is that in addition to the The Quartet, he also wrote some of the most delightful caricatures of the English diplomatic service in some short stories, including Stiff Upper Lip, Bitter Lemons and Esprit de Corps, quick, easy reads which are delightful and it's a something of a surprise that these tales came from the same author.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
Retired - welcome to SeniorLearn.  I'm going to add White Tiger to our new list for consideration in the next vote.  In the meantime, I hope you will consider reading and discussing Carol Goodman's Night Villas in June (the author is joining in that discussion) and then Geraldine Brooks intriguing People of the Book in July.  Welcome!

I agree, it is a difficult choice in that voting booth, Evelyn!

Fureteur, there's one way to find out!  We'll enter Durrell into the header and vote on him the next time.  Perhaps we could start with Justine and if there is interest discussing the other three, we could continue?  Thank you!

Pei Li

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »
ok sorry have been away- who won?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
hahaha, scroll up to the top of the page - Pei!

We'll start with People of the Book in July!  Welcome back!

HaroldArnold

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »
Regarding the Alexandria Quartet by the English author, Lawrence Durrell?

I read all four of them in the sixties.  I can't say they were easy reading, but they were interesting in a mysterious middle east sort of way.  The city of Alexandria was ever present as each story unfolded.  Also the Coptic Christian status of some of the leading characters in a predominate Islamic society figured in the stories.  I don't really see the Quartet as a discussion prospect today. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
I hear what you are saying about the Alexandria Quartet, Harold - good for certain individuals, but not necessarily for group discussion.  Will keep this in mind.  Thanks!

bellemere

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »
Is this the place to recommend?  I would recommend the Alexandria Quartet; or at least get started with "Justine"   then vote whether we want to continue with the rest of the series.  I need a group discussion on it.

bellemere

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 09:30:53 AM »
I suggest Justine, the first book in the Alexandria Quartet, with the rest to follow by consensus.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
Thank you, Bellemere.  Let's do that - consider "Justine"  for future discussion.  And go from there.  Will add the suggestion to the chart for our next vote.

Please everyone, don't forget to look into the discussion of the past winner - Gernaldine Brooks' People of the Book, beginning July 15.  Hopefully the author will find the time to respond to some of our questions and comments via email - as she is travelling abroad during our discussion of her book.

The Prediscussion is going on right now.  You are all welcome to participate! 

bellemere

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
On the strengty of a review in the New York Times today, I would like to receommend
Zeitoun, a true story of a family during and after Hurricane Katrina, by Dave Eggers.  He is emerging as a major talent .  After reading his What is the What about Sudanese boy refugees, I am eager for this next one.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »
Bellemere, you have certainly provided some interesting titles for discussion.  Since we are now looking for a good discussion title for November - and December, I think we are getting ready for a vote.

This must be the New York Times article   you refer to.  I had to smile, as we are discussing Dickens' Mystery of Edwin Drood in September, followed by Matthew Pearl's literary fiction of the same story - "The Last Dickens."   The author of the New York Times article invokes Charles Dickens in his description of Zeitoun.  It sounds fascinating.  Have you been to New Orleans since the hurricane?

elizabeth84

« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
my grandson writes his letters like this and i begin to think it is a new artform when we want to lovingly reread a grand classic i suggest we read kim by rudyard kipling it is basically a tale of two exceptional male characters one old one young making their way through an incredible and colorful india both are intelligent compassionate   creative people relying on each others love the politics of india russia and britain never grow old it seems and are the backbone of this book i enjoyed reading it again and would doubly enjoy reading all your comments and extra information

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:26 AM »
Thanks, Elizabeth!  Isn't this a remarkable discussion?  I've thought of Kipling over the years, though not what has been considered his best work, Kim.  We need to start thinking of our featured November and December discussion.  We'll need to discuss the nominated titles more and perhaps add new ones before we vote.  Again, thanks!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »
I recently reread "Kim" for a f2f book discussion.  It was a favorite when I was growing up, and I wasn't disappointed rereading it after some decades.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation of Rudyard Kipling, Elizabeth. That's good to hear, PatH, that the book held up for your reading as an adult.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
Everyone who voted for THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD--and there were quite a few-- please join us in the discussion that starts tomorrow. The text of the book is available online. The discussion is at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=693.80

mrssherlock

« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:40 PM »
My sunt's estate included a two-volume book club set of Kipling's writings.  Short stories, poems, etc.  He was quite a story teller and even his children's stories, i.e., The Jungle Book, captivated me.  Here is a review of Kipling's stories and poems, including Gunga Din, a good example of his views of the India of his time.  http://brothersjudd.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/reviews.detail/book_id/622  Nostalgia for Kipling, I'll re-read some of the stories, poems and novels.  Pook stories were great fantasies about the Roman Occupation.  Many of his stories and poems are about the British Occupation of India.  So many movies have been made from his stories!  Partly, I suppose, because they were in the public domain and therefore free.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2009, 04:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the interesting link, Jackie.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

Frybabe

« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »
That Old Cape Magic sounds like a very thought provoking book.

elizabeth84

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »
Thanks  Jackie for the link to the Bros Judd site about Kipling--an interesting article with ideas I hold myself.

I think  I'll add some Kipling to my current "stack" and maybe I'll start with Pook--which I couldn't get into as a kid.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2009, 08:57:07 AM »

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
Thanks, for the link, Jackie. Elizabeth 78 - there appears to be growing interest in Kipling among our participants.  Stay tuned.

Everyone, if you have a title you would like to see included in a vote, and don't see it in the proposed titles in the heading, please post here - we'll be happy to include it.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2009, 11:55:51 AM »
Regarding Rudyard Kipling: Who here has read his "American Notes?" This is Kipling’s travel log account of his trip through the U.S in 1889.  It seems in his work as an editor on an Indian English Newspaper he had embarrassed certain high officials or the Imperial Indian Government administration.  His publisher thought it best he leave India for a while.   The result was a long extended trip through the U.S.  He arrived in San Francisco via Japan by steamship.  Some of the scenes cover 1889 San Francisco with a Visit to a Chinese Opium Den where he witnessed a murder, then a train trip up the coast to the mouth of the Columbia where he toured a Tuna cannery built on pilings over the river.  Then came a wild train ride east to early Yellowstone National Park, and on to the east for a unique Englishman’s accout of late 19th century America, Americans, and their culture.

I have a hard cover edition of the book now out of print, but the book should be available at most libraries and an inexpensive paperback seems available from Barnes & Noble.  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/American-Notes/Rudyard-Kipling/e/9781406503081/?itm=2&usri=1

Is anybody interested?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2009, 02:47:24 PM »
I would be interested both in "Kim" and the "American Notes".

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »
Harold, I just reserved the book at my library for a prelude to a discussion and am sure I would be interested.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
I too would be interested in both "Kim" and "American Notes." I'm glad you suggested them, Harold.

Aberlaine

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
With the possibility of a flu pandemic around the corner, Geraldine Brooks' book The Year of Wonder might be an interesting read.  I thought it was better than March.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
Will you tell a little something about Year of Wonders, Nancy?

mrssherlock

« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2009, 02:52:34 PM »
Year of Wonder is waiting for my pick up at the library.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
I bought "Year of Wonders" last week because I liked "People of the Book", and the subject interests me.  It's about an English village in 1666 trying to deal with the plague.  The heroine is a housemaid who will play an important role in the battle.  If you scroll down in this link, you get Amazon's review.

http://www.amazon.com/Year-Wonders-Geraldine-Brooks/dp/0142001430/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253400639&sr=1-1

Jackie, did you read Connie Willis' "Doomsday Book"?  Maybe you were the one that recommended it to me.  (It's a book about a time-traveling historian who accidentally gets sent back to a village during the Black Death and has to deal.)